PDA

View Full Version : Make Red Cross Donations Here!

CrystalKat
09-12-2001, 02:03 PM
In a partnership with Amazon.com, you can use your credit card to make on-line donations to the Red Cross disaster relief fund here:

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/paypage/PKAXFNQH7EKCX/103-0009246-8496634

Please, let's everyone help out. This especially for those of us that cannot give blood for whatever reason -- they accept donations as small as $1, and any amount will help.

Tom Zeliff
09-12-2001, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Crystal. I'm going to stick this to the top of this forum, and I will edit the announcements posted at the top to include this information. I just went and donated the maximum that is allowed.

-Tom

Tim
09-12-2001, 04:12 PM
I am continuously amazed by the American people. We may bicker amongst ourselves, but when a tradgedy occurs we as a population come together like no other. I saw it happen because of the bombing in Atlanta. I saw it happen because of the bombing in Oklahoma City. Now I am seeing it because of the terrorism in New York City, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC.

I gave on the Amazon site for the Red Cross earlier this morning, and since then it is quickly picking up steam. If you go to the site you can monitor the amount given to this point, and when I was there last I refreshed every second and the amount was going up every second.

I feel that we, as Americans, get a bad rap from the world for being bullies/callous/whatever. We are deeply rooted in family however, and when something like this happens the entire country is one family, and we set out to help our family in any way possible. Today is one of my proudest days to be an American.

Amy
09-12-2001, 04:40 PM
I don't know about you guys, but over here on the Island at many different Red Crosses they're actually turning away people because at the moment they have enough blood. :) They are giving out little stickers with a date and time to come back in the future. They have a good supply now, but in a week or so they said that blood would be in demand again. Everyone should try to continue to donate blood, and if you're turned away be sure to return whenever they tell you to do so.

Tim, I am also amazed at the amount of pride the people of America have shown. I can't tell you how many people were wearing Red, White, and blue today, or how many people put flags out in front of their homes. I think it's refreshing to see this amount of I guess nationalism despite this tragedy. Personally, never in my lifetime have I really lived through something such as this or seen such pride in America. It really gives off a nice feeling of hope, despite the horrors that went on yesterday.

CPFan
09-13-2001, 07:25 PM
I have a question that might sound kinda dumb, but do you have to be a certain age to donate blood?

Tim
09-13-2001, 07:52 PM
To give blood, you must be healthy, at least 17 years old, and weigh at least 110 pounds.

If you have any other questions, please read the Red Cross Blood Donation Eligibility Guidelines (http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/blood/learn/eligibl.html)

antfarm007
09-13-2001, 08:43 PM
Thanks a lot for telling me about this, i just donated $250 (100+100+50) 3 tranactions, its the least i can do, this would have been me, because it was planned that i would go to nyc and be at thw wtc the 11th (around 11 am)

edh101985
09-14-2001, 06:29 PM
I would donate blood, but i am not old enough. Our school is rasing lots of money for Red Cross. I usually put all my left over change to it. Is any other schools rasing money for red cross? If every school gets like 1000 dollers, just think how much money Red Cross would have.

antfarm007
09-14-2001, 06:53 PM
Well the school at which I work is going to, but no word yet on when, we have a history of collecting big, last year we collected $1000 for Honduras, but as this is in the US we will probably be at closer to $2500, like when we did Oklahoma City

CrystalKat
09-15-2001, 10:55 AM
That's a good idea, to have schools raise money. I'll have to look into getting it organized at my school. Thanks for the idea! Any suggestions would be helpful -- post them here or email me!

Bort
09-21-2001, 10:17 PM
In the past week my school has had "Operation Red Cross" We raised over 7,000 dollars. I am very proud of my peers for being generous and makeing contributions to help others.

Alex Westerman
09-21-2001, 10:37 PM
Way to go! I'll try to find info for you too.

serpent king
09-21-2001, 11:13 PM
my school's goal for raisin money is at least 1,000 dollars and we earned $500 dollars the first day!

CrystalKat
09-22-2001, 04:26 PM
I looked into the school stuff here, but unfortunately there are too many restrictions for raising money for it to work well in the school. But I'm encouraging all my students to donate, and I do whenever I can.

Spooky thing: the last three times we've bought something (we don't buy too much, just groceries and papers usually), our change has included New York quarters. I know an omen when I see one, and they've all been donated (along with the rest of the change). But there are a lot of organizations here in FL raising a lot - I'm very proud to see our country pulling together so well in a time that needs it so much.

Sethar
09-30-2001, 02:09 PM
I just want to put in a plea for other non-profits.

I'm certainly not opposed to donating money to a cause like the many funds that have been set up for the 9/11 catastrophes -- I've donated money myself, and I regularly give blood to the Red Cross -- but I would like to remind everyon to not forget the other charitable organizations. Especially if you are a regular contributor to them...please don't make them go without this year. I've already heard of many non-profits seeing HUGE drops in donations over the past few weeks, some directors of non-profits were quoted on NPR as saying that they were going to not take a salary for a while in order to make the budgets work.

edh101985
10-05-2001, 07:44 PM
Our School raised over $3,000 for the red cross! I found out that would mean that every person in our school would have donated $20.00. It is nice to see how much everyone cares.