PDA

View Full Version : Spreading panic through email

Tom Zeliff
10-12-2001, 07:43 PM
I know that many people's nerves have been rattled with the ongoing war and fear of retaliation attacks. Rumors are flying around like wild fire spread by a nervous public. I am sure you or someone you know has recived one of the following emails:

Terrorists plan to attack malls on Halloween
Light a candle for a satelite photo
A Nostradamus prophecy about the fall of "two brothers" (meaning the World Trade Towers) predicts the imminent start of World War III.
A Canadian broadcaster gave an impassioned defense of the US and the media didn't cover it (because it was made in 1973)
and so on...

By blindly forwarding these emails to everyone you know you are creating spam, and in the case of the mall attack you are causing undue panic to spread. The next time you get something like that, think. If the Government really wanted to get a message out to everyone as quickly as possible would they randomly email a few people and ask them to email everyone they know?

Of course not.

Official press releases would be made and TV and Radio would carry the warnings around the clock. Far more people own a radio or a TV than do a computer with internet access.

If you are unsure of what has been sent to you, please go to this website which is doing a great job of tracking down the origins and debunking these email rumors as they spread: http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/rumors.htm

Do not give in to panic and spread false rumors around. Think a little and do a little research, or you are just helping the terrorists cause more panic and fear, and if that happens they accomplish thier goal. We fear that which we do not know or understand, and if you understand it and have knowlege to back you up you won't be afraid.

If you do get one of these emails again in the future email back to everyone it has been forwarded to and tell them the truth.

Thanks for reading.

-Tom

RiFT
10-12-2001, 08:30 PM
Nice post. Every message board I go to I see someone post crap like "My teacher's friend's aunt's friend's cousin dated a Muslim and said not to fly on Sept. 11 and not to go to shopping malls on Halloween."

If this was real, then it would be on the news. I cannot believe people are so gullible and stupid to believe internet rumors. And also the Nastradamus stuff. I thank you Tom for this post, I agree completely with you.

DyingDutchman
10-12-2001, 08:52 PM
well you just get on to those malls. i dare you. i know im not going to any malls on halloween. and if anyone trusts snopes so much as to go to a mall, then they deserve to pay the price. snopes is not all knowing, for all yuo know every single mall might be destroyed, or the terrorists could donate money to the red cross. anything can happen. trust your own judgement. if you have that much trust in awebstie, go for it. but i dont think that site has enough credibility to get me into the malls on that day. i mean i go to it any other day, but this rumor may well have been started by an terrorist supporter to scare us like they have benn trying to do. i guess my point is dont go in the malls that day, go to a halloween party instead or something. i dont really believe that there will be a mall attack anymore, but i am not taking any chances. but still, everyone is saying "that cant happen that cant happen" but if i went up to you in august and told you that two planes would crash into the trade centers on the 11th you wouldnt believe me, would you?

Tom Zeliff
10-12-2001, 09:00 PM
I ask you what has more credibility? Broadcast news and radio? Or an email you got forwarded with instructions to forward it to everyone you know?

-Tom

Cuddy
10-12-2001, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DyingDutchman
well you just get on to those malls. i dare you. and if anyone trusts snopes so much as to go to a mall, then they deserve to pay the price. snopes is not all knowing

No kidding!! My God we will all DIE!! Well enough of poking fun at that remark. Snopes is an URBAN LEGEND site. ULs are for fun and ghost stories and also to strike terror at you like these terrorists have done. Another false claim is a man who was atop one of the WTC as you see the plane approach. A warning now, it is a FAKE, and the page: http://www.glennbeck.com/hots/urban.shtml

And about the malls...I'm definitely going to the mall on Halloween. Nothing will stop me, especially not a forwarded email letter. If you trust that more than broadcast radio/newscasts then maybe you should step back and re-examine what will soon be left of your life.

Cuddy
10-12-2001, 10:31 PM
Here's the pic:

rocketman23
10-13-2001, 10:36 AM
I have recieved none of this material. I don't know if it's because I have a junk mail filter, or what, but I'm glad I haven't gotten any. And if I did I would delete it without reading it.

Joe17123
10-13-2001, 11:24 AM
I haven't gotten any of those e-mails thankfully. Anyways, another attack is almost 100% so it could happen during Halloween but u never know.

ForceCoaster
10-13-2001, 11:29 AM
yesterday i got an IM asking if i'd heard about the mall thing, i just added the address to the ignore list in AIM, and exited

Kraken
10-13-2001, 05:03 PM
I think Dying Dutchman should be banned for that above post! Stop replying to stuff, saying everyone's gonna die! If you do that, you're just like the terrorists!

edh101985
10-13-2001, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Tom Zeliff
I ask you what has more credibility? Broadcast news and radio? Or an email you got forwarded with instructions to forward it to everyone you know?

-Tom

The reason i made that post about halloween was because i heard it on the radio. They called the number that was in the message, and it was a real person.

Andy Rathe
10-13-2001, 06:22 PM
This is all just urban legends. It always happens after a major disaster.

intamin101
10-13-2001, 10:44 PM
Hey, look at this pearl harbor pic.

intamin101
10-13-2001, 10:44 PM
And then theres this pic.

intamin101
10-13-2001, 10:45 PM
Wow, this guy has definitely been around.

intamin101
10-13-2001, 10:46 PM
One more.

edh101985
10-14-2001, 07:14 AM
ROFLMAO! I saw some more pictures of those on that website. I want to try to do something like that (puting 2 pictures together) with pictures i have, but i dont know what program you use to do it on.

edh101985
10-14-2001, 07:23 AM
here is one i found of a guy with his pet cat on top of the WTC also. This is the link for all of them (click tourist photo)http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/crash.htm#meow

ForceCoaster
10-14-2001, 11:12 AM
Intamin101: ROTFL!!!!!:D :D :D

CPFan
10-16-2001, 08:52 PM
I have gotten a few messages like that, all lies. I really don't believe things like that. Anyways, why would they attack malls on halloween. Lots of people would be home givin out candy to treet or treaters at that time.

Aaron
10-29-2001, 06:44 PM
I set my junk mail filter to automatically delete things like that. I don't feel like even seeing something that I know isn't true.