PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Gamecube Link?

The_Evil_Tediz
10-13-2001, 09:18 PM
I just saw some preview shots for the Gamecube Legend of Zelda game, and Link looks like he did back when he was on Super Nintendo. Those graphics suck. Anyone agree with me?

swOHman
10-13-2001, 11:14 PM
I think it is utter brilliance. The direction Miyamoto is taking the first GCN Zelda is incredibly different, and exciting IMO. The two N64 Zelda's were much more adult than the other Zelda games, and I believe it is time for the series to take a direction into the little less serious, and somewhat more childish-looking direction. As for the graphics "sucking", they are actually outstanding, and they looked like the best cel-shaded graphics to date (and the game is still early in developement). Of course we really have to wait to actually play the game to judge it, and we know Zelda always has excellent gameplay and an excellent storyline. I think people are jumping to conclusions way too early and not giving it time to play out, and really see what the game is going to look like and play like. I'm sure we will have a more "adult" Zelda game in the future, but I think Nintendo is making an incredibly brilliant move with GCN's first Zelda.

Tim
10-14-2001, 11:33 AM
FYI, the new Zelda isn't cell-shaded. The graphics do look really great though. It took me a while to get used to them, but they look like you're playing in a very high quality animated movie. Screen shots don't do the game justice. Watch the movie, and you'll see just how good it actually looks. This style of anime isn't for everyone, but the game really does look great.

swOHman
10-14-2001, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Tim
FYI, the new Zelda isn't cell-shaded. The graphics do look really great though. It took me a while to get used to them, but they look like you're playing in a very high quality animated movie. Screen shots don't do the game justice. Watch the movie, and you'll see just how good it actually looks. This style of anime isn't for everyone, but the game really does look great.

Oh, wow. I didn't know it wasn't cel-shaded. That shows even more how powerful the graphic capability of the GCN really is. I've really been waiting to play a game that looks like an anime cartoon and I believe Zelda is going to look very similar to many Japanese anime shows. Of course I'm still waiting for my Dragon Ball Z game and a little birdy told me there is one and maybe more in developement.

coasterguy1
10-14-2001, 09:56 PM
I never played a Zelda game, but I played PS2's Dark Cloud and really liked it, so if Zelda is anything like it, I will probably love it. Ironic thing is, I dont own a PS2, but I do on an N64

swOHman
10-14-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by coasterguy1
I never played a Zelda game, but I played PS2's Dark Cloud and really liked it, so if Zelda is anything like it, I will probably love it. Ironic thing is, I dont own a PS2, but I do on an N64

If I remember correctly Dark Cloud is a turn-based RPG. The Legend of Zelda is an action RPG. In other words, it has the same types of puzzles, items, villages, dungons, except you don't go to a seperate battle screen to fight in when you run into enemies. You also don't select from menus ala Final Fantasy. Basically in all of the Zelda games when you encounter an enemy you just use your sword or another weapon to defeat it. If you have a N64 I suggest you go buy (or at least rent) Ocarina of Time. It is one of the best games ever created. You might also want to check out Majora's Mask. It isn't as good as Ocarina of Time, but it is still very good.

Rider
10-16-2001, 11:41 AM
I think GCN needs more adult games. Sure there are some coming, but a Zelda game could have been so cool had it been done like on N64.

I dont like anime, so I doubt I will play it (along with my friends and brother).

AZ RIDER
10-17-2001, 12:48 PM
where are the videos of this game????????

Tim
10-17-2001, 01:24 PM
You can check out the SpaceWorld Zelda movie here. (http://cubemovies.ign.com/media/space2k1/pressmovies/zelda1.mov)

coasterguy1
10-17-2001, 05:16 PM
In Dark Cloud, you dont go to a seperate screen. You just go and kill the thing you want to. It does get annoying to have to repair your weapon, but you get used to it. And I love to be able to re-make the towns that were destroyed. It is really fun.

AZ RIDER
10-18-2001, 10:04 PM
I don't see what you guys don't like about this game. it looks freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!

ghosta
10-26-2001, 05:43 PM
we dont like it cuz we were expecting what we saw from space world last year. A freakin 3-D game. And now we dont get what we wanted.

AZ RIDER
10-26-2001, 06:53 PM
The game is 3-D, just watch the videos.

ghosta
10-26-2001, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by AZ RIDER
The game is 3-D, just watch the videos.

by 3-d i meant that the characters were well u know like they had it before

ghostofthealps
11-03-2001, 11:09 PM
Might I point out that the footage of link fighting Ganondorf at Space world looks a lot like Super Smash Brothers Melee? Since we already know that Link is a character in that game and that Ganondorf is unlockable where is the confusion? Spaceworld showed SSBM, not "what was supposed to be the next Legend of Zelda game"

cedar_point_lover
11-11-2001, 09:07 PM
I played an Game Cube yesterday (saturday) and its pretty much a 'pimped' up N64 shaped as a cube.

RiFT
11-11-2001, 09:48 PM
I don't like the look of the new Zelda either.

I prefer the look of Ocarina of Time.

But anyway, let's see how the new game turns out in the end. Maybe the gameplay will be good enough for me to ignore the graphics.

swOHman
11-12-2001, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by cedar_point_lover
I played an Game Cube yesterday (saturday) and its pretty much a 'pimped' up N64 shaped as a cube.

I guess you could call it that, but if your going to use the word "pimped" at least say it's like a Ice T or Snoop Dog like pimp and not some lowly street pimp LOL. The GameCube completely blows away the N64 in so many different ways. The most blatant is graphics with its advanced bump mapping and multi-texuring process. There can be tons and tons of more polygons on the screen at once with many games keeping of consistant framerate of 60 fps. Games are going to get larger and longer with the mini-DVD format, and they are going to sound excellent as apposed to the MIDI music from the N64's carts. Plus there are going to be so many more games than the N64. Remember this is only first generation games we are seeing. As the months pass games are going to look more and more beautiful. These generations of console are mostly improving on the last generation. In the last generation we dove headfirst into the world of 3D gaming, and we really can't take it into another dimension, so the new consoles are now started to perfect 3D gaming. But if you are still convinced that the GCN is only a minor jump from the N64 simply look at Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 compared to the first one on the N64, then tell me GCN is only a minor jump up LOL.