PDA

View Full Version : Just ot my gamecube!!!

coasterguy1
11-17-2001, 08:42 PM
I got my gamecube friday night, 2 days before official launch. It is really cool. I havent played Luigi's Mansion yet(i couldnt play until tonight, saturday)but Rouge Squadron 2 is really cool, and so is Wave Race:Blue Storm. I like Rouge Squadron 2 better than Wave Race, but it is still a good game. The graphics are really good. Alot better than N64.

Rider
11-17-2001, 10:20 PM
I got mine on Friday too! Like all the games. Lugi is different, fun different.

Kyle L
11-18-2001, 02:20 PM
This just blows my mind! I HATE gamecube! Its a kiddie version of the bigger consoles that peeps cant handle! Well im sorry if i made anyone mad, Im kinda of a Sony guy, (note i have 350 things that are sony) so im kinda dislike Nintendo, I would buy Xbox, but i allready have ps2.

ghosta
11-18-2001, 06:12 PM
Why would you get x box. its only purpose is to knock some one out, i mean its huge. and the controllers are as big as someones head. But what puzzels me, is you have to pay 30 dollars extra to get a dvd add on.

Anyways back to the subject. im not getting my Game Cube till chirstmas. Altho ill be playing every chance i get!

Rider
11-18-2001, 11:03 PM
Heh heh heh: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-08-29

Tim
11-19-2001, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Raptordude
This just blows my mind! I HATE gamecube! Its a kiddie version of the bigger consoles that peeps cant handle! Well im sorry if i made anyone mad, Im kinda of a Sony guy, (note i have 350 things that are sony) so im kinda dislike Nintendo, I would buy Xbox, but i allready have ps2.

Your argument for getting a PS2 makes absolutely zero sense... oh wait, thats because you didn't bother to even try to argue why you think what you think.

I can make two guarantees based simply on your post: First, you are about 15 years old. Second, you have never played the GameCube nor the Xbox for more than 2 minutes.

If you had you would've realized that almost every single Xbox game is horrible, and that the GameCube is FUN. Isn't that what games are about? Fun? Fun does not mean "Oh, hey, I am 15 now, so I am mature! Only games with blood and gore and good! Nintendo is for kiddies! PS2 FOREVER!"

The head honchos at Sony absolutely love people like you. People who believe whatever they say and buy into the hype 100% You are the kind of consumer that would buy ice from Sony even though you lived in an igloo because they labeled it as "NEW AND IMPROVED SONY ICE!"

As someone who has owned the Xbox and GameCube I can easily say that the GameCube obliterates the Xbox at this point in time. I returned my Xbox after 1 day. I couldn't stop playing the GameCube when I got it. The first year of the PS2 sucked. Anyone who says differently is a lemming. The PS2 is coming into it's own now, and makes for a very nice console.

coasterguy1
11-19-2001, 07:13 PM
I agree with Tim. I played the Xbox at some kids house, and it really wasnt that great. I really like Luigi's Mansion. It is really fun to capture ghosts. Xbox is big and ugly, and the controllers are terrible. And even after they put in a hard drive, they want you to use memory cards. BTW, the Gamecube controllers are excellent. They are really easy to get used to, and the fact that the L&R buttons are made to fit your index fingers makes it even better.

V2kid62489
11-19-2001, 08:30 PM
ive played X-Box and Gamecube at stores for 2o minutes and i find my PS2 far superior! I cant wait till ill be talkin to y'all online on my PS2! PS2 controllers rock there small and you can reach everything with ease. Most kids 11 won't even look at Gamecube all the games are kidde and its PURPLE BRIGHT PURPLE. Ps2 is by far the best system!

Kyle L
11-19-2001, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Tim

Your argument for getting a PS2 makes absolutely zero sense... oh wait, thats because you didn't bother to even try to argue why you think what you think.

I can make two guarantees based simply on your post: First, you are about 15 years old. Second, you have never played the GameCube nor the Xbox for more than 2 minutes.

If you had you would've realized that almost every single Xbox game is horrible, and that the GameCube is FUN. Isn't that what games are about? Fun? Fun does not mean "Oh, hey, I am 15 now, so I am mature! Only games with blood and gore and good! Nintendo is for kiddies! PS2 FOREVER!"

The head honchos at Sony absolutely love people like you. People who believe whatever they say and buy into the hype 100% You are the kind of consumer that would buy ice from Sony even though you lived in an igloo because they labeled it as "NEW AND IMPROVED SONY ICE!"

As someone who has owned the Xbox and GameCube I can easily say that the GameCube obliterates the Xbox at this point in time. I returned my Xbox after 1 day. I couldn't stop playing the GameCube when I got it. The first year of the PS2 sucked. Anyone who says differently is a lemming. The PS2 is coming into it's own now, and makes for a very nice console.

Well the reason i act this way is i have had a sony console forever! I had Playstation, lots of other stuff, and a gameboy. I just never like N64. I thought that game cube is more of the same, It looks ok, but XBOX has more........inside the box, and how can u afford two consoles at one time! I had to save my money for A YEAR! No spending jack that whole year! This is why i think that my PS2 is my god! Gamecube is good, just i favor Ps2 in a agrresive way, and if you look at the games that N64 had at first, (wave race, mario, mario kart) and if you look at Gamecubes realeases, (wave race, luigis mansion, star wars rouge laeader) you can see the games will becom more of the same. Its just that I HAD to save up my hard earned money, while some guy buys a total of 600 bucks on two consoles and compares them to the two and thinks that im a teenage punk, shootin things, hatin everything, spoiled beyond belief, and favoring everything, i can tell you that I AM NOT! I just cant believe peeps that just go out and buy 2 CONSOLES! While I save up for a year, and try to stick up for my console, while somone comes out and flames the H**L outta me..............................

Medusa1861
11-19-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by V2kid62489
ive played X-Box and Gamecube at stores for 2o minutes and i find my PS2 far superior! I cant wait till ill be talkin to y'all online on my PS2! PS2 controllers rock there small and you can reach everything with ease. Most kids 11 won't even look at Gamecube all the games are kidde and its PURPLE BRIGHT PURPLE. Ps2 is by far the best system! Ha! hello! it come in another color called Jet Black!! You can't go wrong with choosing black. i hope to get a gamecube soon or somtime in the near future

Joe17123
11-19-2001, 09:49 PM
Playstation 2 started out bad but now with Metal Gear Solid 2 and GTA3 and a new Medal of honor game and great EA sport games they should be fine.

Gamecube does have fun games but when I played Gamecube it doesnt have as good graphics as Ps2 but Gamecube is still good.

Rider
11-19-2001, 10:59 PM
First off, comparing a console that has been around a year to one that has been out for a few days is stupid. Devolpers have not tired to strech Gamecube to the limits yet.

I cant wait for all the games to come.

Tim
11-20-2001, 12:43 PM
How can I afford multiple consoles? Easy. I have a job. I paid my dues long ago. I couldn't afford much of anything while I was in college, and now I can. I prefer to be informed before I make my decisions, so I try out everything (which includes the PlayStation and PlayStation2).

The intention of my post was not to flame, but to point out that proper decisions cannot be made until you've actually played the games that you're talking about.

Kraken
11-20-2001, 03:50 PM
I have GameCube! It's great. Madden 2002 has awsome graphics and great controls, Star Wars is awsome, and Luigi's Mansion is really fun, and the controls really get you into the game. However, Luigi is a bit short(I beat it on the 20th, 2 days after launch). So all in all a great system.

BTW, I have not played XBOX, but I think it will be really awsome! The future is bright for console gaming!

swOHman
11-20-2001, 11:08 PM
I've finally pulled myself away from my GameCube to finally post in this thread. I got my Cube on launch day and really haven't stopped playing since (except for the hours I had to work today). It has far exceeded my expectations. First off the thing is tiny! I've seen the dimensions, and even have the cardboard cutout with the demo disc, but when you finally pull this thing out of the box you won't believe how small it is. Second the controller is about as near perfection as you can get. Completely erganomical, and all of the buttons are easy to use and feel just right. The analog stick is perfect and allows precise movement. The only minor gripe I have is the size of the D-Pad, but since I really don't play too many fighting games I don't think I will use it too much. The three games I got are all excellent. Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 is very challenging (I'm really struggling on the Prison of Maw level) and the graphics are simply breathtaking. The first time I saw the Death Star explode I literally cried, and then I thought that this is just the first generation of games. Luigi's Mansion is so much fun especially when you get the controls down (which are actually quite simple). The cartoonish graphics are outstanding, and the many things Luigi says and does will have you laughing for hours (Mariooooo, Mariooooooooo LOL). I'm still haven't beat it, but I'm purposely taking my time (plus I got a little stuck in one spot). Madden 2002 is the best looking and playing of the series. The graphics are great with realistsic looking players, coaches, stadiums, and uniforms. It even shows things such as grass stains and skuff marks as the game wears on. There are so many things to do that this game will last for years. Getting points to buy Madden cards is a real challenge, and the realistsic season and franchise modes will have you coming back for more day after day. I believe Nintendo has created an excellent gaming machine that I will be playing for many, MANY, years to come.

Kraken
11-21-2001, 01:05 AM
Your situation is almost the same as mine! When I opened the thing, I couldn't beleive how small it was! I just stared at it, thinking about how so much power could fit in such a tiny box. I really like Madden-it has deep, deep gameplay.There are like, over 60 plays. The game also has responsive controls, and has every team, including fantasy teams and teams from the past. Luigi is a true gem-It's just FUN to capture ghosts. You actually look forward to encountering the next enemy. It also has great replay value, and you WANT to keep playing it! Rogue Squadron is ace. It has the most kickass graphics ever. The aproach to the death star, flying in front of the giant, orange planet or Yavin, is a scene straight out of the movie. I am not exaderating in any way when I say the graphics are sometimes identical to the scenes from the film. It is also very difficult, and powerful space ships(like the Star Destroyer you encounter) really WILL obliterate you in seconds if you don't have strategy and use your wingmen . I also bought Crazy Taxi today since I beat Luigi, and it's great, though It's not a new game, and you probably have allready heard of it many times. I think I'll go play it right now.

coasterguy1
11-21-2001, 11:04 AM
I am stuck on the Razor mission in Rouge Squadron. I always loose all 3 lives or I didnt defend the Frigate well enough. I finally got to Expert mode on Wave Race. Im taking Luigi's Mansion slower than most games, but I am on Area 3 right now. I think im going to go play Rouge Suadron now.

swOHman
11-22-2001, 12:26 AM
I finally beat the Maw mission on Rogue Leader and now I'm stuck on the Razor Redezous (sp?). This game is so much harder than I expected. Anyway, I picked up Super Monkey Ball today. The game is an absolute blast. You wouldn't think such a simple game would be so much fun, but it is. I've unlocked two of the mini games (billiards and bowling), and was incredibly surprised at how to form they were with their respective sports. The billiards has great physics and incorporates all rules of 9- Ball. The bowling takes good timing and knowledge on how and when to spin your ball. I haven't gotten to mini golf yet, but I'm sure it's just as great. The party games are great also. The Monkey Race is just as good as any Kart racing game out there. I didn't expect it to have 6 tracks. That could almost be a game in itself. The monkey fight is all out mayhem almost in line with Super Smash Bros. Monkey target is incredibly challenging, and very unique. The main game is deceptively simple on Beginner mode, but boy is the advanced levels hard! I haven't even attempted the Expert courses. I think I'll have to improve my skills greatly before attempting those. Sega has delivered a great arcade game with excellent party and mini-games. I can't wait to take my 'Cube to Thanksgiving at my aunts house tomorrow and have some Super Monkey fun (too bad I only have 2 controllers)! Oh, not to mention her Dolby Pro Logic surround sound for Rogue Leader! The Cube is getting more fun to play everyday!

dukesta226
11-22-2001, 12:54 PM
How did you guys beat the prisons of the maw mission. THe guard towers keep on shooting me down. Anyway Gamecube is awesome. I am going to get FIFA 2002 for it this weekend.

coasterguy1
11-22-2001, 03:58 PM
My next game(s) will be Super Monkey Ball and/or SSB:M. Maybe SSX Tricky. I really cant get past Razor Rendezvous. It is impossible. Ive destroyed all 3 sheild generators, but I cant destroy the command deck.

Kraken
11-22-2001, 06:51 PM
The Razor mission is really hard. Try taking out the big shield generator/globe things on top using Ion Cannons, and then blasting them with missles. When I wanted to attack the shield generator on the bottom, I died, then unloaded a full load of missles. I also took out the command deck with missles.

swOHman
11-23-2001, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by dukesta226
How did you guys beat the prisons of the maw mission. THe guard towers keep on shooting me down. Anyway Gamecube is awesome. I am going to get FIFA 2002 for it this weekend.

The best thing to do with the guard towers is fly high and drop bombs on them. 2 should be enough to take them out if you're accurate. Just make sure you red sight is on the towers and unload two bombs. If you run out of bombs take a u-turn and stay clear of any fire until your bombs regenerate. You'll have to deal with a lot of these towers so make sure you practise with your aim.

coasterguy1
11-23-2001, 08:21 AM
It only takes one bomb to kill the towers, if you can shoot well. I have a bronze medal on all of the missions up to Razor Rendezvous, which I will NEVER beat.

coasterguy1
11-23-2001, 10:32 AM
I beat that mission!! Im so happy. It took me 4 days. The next mission is weird, but it is still fun.

dukesta226
11-23-2001, 08:28 PM
I can't get past Razor Rendezvous now. This game is way harder than i expected. Fifa is awesome

The Goodfella
11-24-2001, 07:51 PM
I'm on the Raid on Bespin mission, these A-Wings suck so bad I can't beat the mission even with the advanced lasers.

On Luigi's Mansion I'm on Area 3 and I keep on losing the boos.

SFGadvKing
11-25-2001, 09:18 PM
jeez, i cant believe this. i just ordered my xbox 2 days ago, altho i havent gotten it, i cant wait to play it. its just that xbox seems so much better than gamecube. i know its huge but come on, its got an 8 gig hard drive!!! the games seem more of my style, i would rather play shenmue than zelda, i would rather play halo than luigi's mansion, i would rather play dead or alive than super smash bros. it also some with the broadband adapter so you can play online with the cable modem, its not going to need any memory cards, and it even tho it costs $30 for the dvd playback, at least it has the ability to play dvd's!!! and about the controllers, you can take anything into electronics boutique and trade them in if they are still shrink raped, so i'll get the madcatz controllers. all in all, i dont see why everyone thinks that xbox is so bad, its really not.

Kyle L
11-26-2001, 12:22 AM
I dont see anything thats unique about Xbox. the games arent too fantastic, but Im giving Credit too Microsoft for giving it a shot. I played it at EB and wasnt too impressed. Id rather just build on my playstation 2 than restart again with onsoles i dislike. Playstation I think will over rule Xbox, Might have trouble with gamecube, but im sure we shall see some good games in teh future with online play. The only game i like on Xbox is Cell Damage. So sweet...................

swOHman
11-26-2001, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by SFGadvKing
jeez, i cant believe this. i just ordered my xbox 2 days ago, altho i havent gotten it, i cant wait to play it. its just that xbox seems so much better than gamecube. i know its huge but come on, its got an 8 gig hard drive!!! the games seem more of my style, i would rather play shenmue than zelda, i would rather play halo than luigi's mansion, i would rather play dead or alive than super smash bros. it also some with the broadband adapter so you can play online with the cable modem, its not going to need any memory cards, and it even tho it costs $30 for the dvd playback, at least it has the ability to play dvd's!!! and about the controllers, you can take anything into electronics boutique and trade them in if they are still shrink raped, so i'll get the madcatz controllers. all in all, i dont see why everyone thinks that xbox is so bad, its really not.

And that's why you're getting an Xbox.... because you prefer the types of games it will have, but just because you like it it doesn't make it better than every other console. Now why you can't believe why so many of us got a GameCube over an Xbox is beyond me, but I'll try to explain it to you. Many of us grew up with Nintendo. We played the NES when we were kids. We played the SNES as adolescents. We played N64 as teens, and as we get out of our teens we play GameCube. We got GameCube because we love the Nintendo franchises. To us Shenmue was a dull and boring game compared to any Zelda game ever made. It is just our preference. Now that doesn't mean we don't own or enjoy games on other consoles. I've played great games on the Genesis, Playstation 1+2, and the Dreamcast, but my heart will always be with Nintendo. Now I wouldn't be so sure that DOA 3 and Shenmue 2 will only appear on the Xbox. GameCube already has snagged a few games that were supposed to be Xbox exclusives (Cel Damage comes to mind), and I can guarentee you will see many of the games you seem to like (which appears to be more adult oriented games) on the GameCube in the future. If you like Halo I bet you would like Perfect Dark 0, if you like DOA 3 I bet you would like Sould Caliber 2. Now I may be getting an Xbox in the future, but I am going to wait and see if there are games coming for it that I will like (right now the only one that looks good is Halo). If it has some games that intrigue me I'll drop the 300 bucks on it, but if not I'll spend my money on more GCN games. Things like a hardrive, a DVD player, and a broadband adapter do not make it a better console for me. When it comes down to it, it is all about the games, and I love Nintendo games. And the only place I can play Nintendo games is on the Cube. Many of Xbox's games are going to be 3rd party and you can play those many times on every console. Now if Microsoft can prove they can make great 1st party games then that may be another thing that pushes me toward getting an Xbox, but until then I'll wait and see. About the controller.... it's pretty bad when you would rather use a third party controller, which are terrible, over the first party controller. M$ really dropped the ball on the controller and even Xbox lovers have said so. It's really hard to enjoy a game when the controller is uncomfortable to hold and it's hard to tell which botton you're pushing.

In saying all of this my point is you chose an Xbox becuase you prefer the launch games, you like having a hard drive and a DVD player. That is perfectly fine, but to be shocked and amazed that more people on this forum chose a GameCube over an Xbox is a little immature. Also saying a console SEEMS better than the other based on things you've SEEN is way off. Have some experience with both consoles before making assumptions on which one is better. One of my co-workers got an Xbox on Thursday the 15th and I was able to get to his house to get some playing time, and I was unimpressed. On the other hand I haven't been able to put down my GameCube controller (just letting you know what I'm basing my opinions on).

V2kid62489
11-26-2001, 06:31 PM
All rounded out i believe PS2 now and in the long run will be the best console. If producers pushed PS2's graphics to the limits it would easily beat Gamecube, PS2 can run at a max of 66 million polygons per second but Gamecube can run at a mere 12 million polygons. It would be smart to buy one if you don't have one now because they have soo many games out already. Alot of you say PS2 has great 3rd party support(which it does) but poor 1st party well look at GT3 thats first party and it is a truly amazing game best racing sim to date. Also many complain of PS2's slow loading times, well if you buy the 40 GB add on it'll make the load time signifigantly better(plus allow for internet and the world wide web). The memory card on PS2 can hold twice as much memory as the Gamecube memory cards allowing for more saved games. Also if you flame me for not playing gamecube or X-box enough believe me i have i played em at target for almost an hour each the store was almost empty and X-box is fun but PS2 is better and i was not impressed by Gamecube. For one i think Gamecubes controllers are awful and too big i much prefer PS2's (X-box's are the worst:( ). One thing that i like about Gamecube is that its sooo small and light, but PS2 isn't that big X-box is huge. I don't like Gamecube because of the games too. My friend had an N64 for 4 years(he sold it so he could get GCN but now hes getting X-box cause we hate GCN). On Gamepro's check list of what you want in a system Gamecube isn't the best in any of the key catergorys. Well in that conclusion PS2 is the best followed by X-box then buy Gamecube. http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/gt3japan/gt3_21.jpg http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/th33/th3_6.jpg http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/acecombat4/acecombat4_28.jpg
now heres some game cube you compare. http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/rogueleader/rogueleadgc47.JPG http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/zelda/zeldademo/zdemo12.jpg
those pics are about equal but when PS2 hits its limit it'll be the best GCn is almost at its limit now!

Kyle L
11-26-2001, 07:17 PM
I agree and have many questions about gamecube. 1- Do you have to buy Rumble packs for the controller, like allways with most nintendo things you do! Second, The mem cards look like they hold nothing! Three- The graphics arent too impressive! I was looking at Star Wars and see that the environments are good, but the motions look un-realistic. Lets compare Games!

PS2's best- Metal Gera Solid DOL and GT3

Gamecubes best- Star Wars Rouge Leader........

You can flame us, but you can never take our PS2's, we have our own side!

Ps2-
Raptordude
v2kid62489
joe
and another peep

SFGadvKing
11-26-2001, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by swOHman
That is perfectly fine, but to be shocked and amazed that more people on this forum chose a GameCube over an Xbox is a little immature. Also saying a console SEEMS better than the other based on things you've SEEN is way off. Have some experience with both consoles before making assumptions on which one is better.

ok, the reason that i was suprised is that out of my whole grade in school(which is about 65), i only know of one kid that plans on getting the gamecube. everyone else is getting or atleast wants to get the xbox. around me the xbox is much more popular than the gamecube.

swOHman
11-27-2001, 01:46 AM
V2KID, many of your points are off quite a bit IMO. We can talk about IF developers push PS2 to it's limits it would look better, but the fact remains that that will never happen. A console can never be pushed to it's limits. With this in mind Nintendo developed a console for performance not numbers. The GameCube's CPU and graphics chip were developed specifically for the GCN making the interaction time between the two almost non-existent. It has twice as much RAM as the Xbox, so all games can perform at high framerates and fast load times. Now this is coming from a complete non-tekkie, so maybe a more knowledgeable poster (Tim maybe?) could post more on the numbers. All I can go by is what I see, and I must say that Rogue Leader looks better than any game I'VE SEEN IN PERSON (important because screenshots mean absolutely nothing because the quality of the pictures can differ so greatly). Some of those games I'm comparing it to is MGS:2, Halo, Gran Turismo 3, and Madden 2002 for PS2 (which looks low quality compared to it's GCN counterpart). Most PS2 games look often times grainy and unpolished. Many of them also suffer from framerate problems. The only game I have seen that doesn't suffer from at least one of these problems is Gran Turismo 3. Now about the controller. It makes you look really bad when you say the smallest of the three controllers is too big. Check issue #149 of EGM to see a controller comparison and you will find that GCN's controller is actully slightly smaller than the PS2's and I must say that it is much more comfortable to hold. While I won't flame you (my posts are never meant as flames and I try to never personally attack anyone) about not having experience with each system, I will say that 1 hr. at a retailer does not constitute experience with a system. It is impossible to really tell whether you like a system or not based on an hour of play with the low quality tv's and plenty of distraction around you. Also demo's are oftentimes not up to the quality of the full games. Also saying you hate a system based on 1 hr. of playtime is a little off. It almost sounds as if you want to hate the Cube because you own a PS2 and nothing will ever be as good as it because you own it. This is the kind of attitude that made me make my post in the official console wars post (which these series of posts should be moved to). I will never say I hate a system and actually will never say I dislike a system. I will say I like one more than another, but if I had the money I would own all three. To me it's about games, and good and bad games can be made for any system. I always choose Nintendo first though because I love Nintendo games. That doesn't mean I don't love games from other companies. Some of my favortie games came from Square (which is basically a second party deeloper for Sony now), Sega, and EA. I'm starting to really enjoy many PS2 games, and am thinking of buying one very soon, so don't say I'm biased or a fanboy. I'm just a lover of video games, who happened to fall in love with Nintendo's new console the second I laid my hands on it, and will defend it when I get the chance. Something similar will also happen when I finally get a PS2 and an Xbox. I love games, and when I get something new to play games on I love that too. So again to sum up all my points I've made in the whole this vs. that discussions..... I love games, I really love Nintendo games, I think Nintendo made an excellent console that everyone should have the chance to enjoy, the other consoles are very good too with good games, but my experiences with them so far are that they aren't quite as enjoyable as GCN AT THIS POINT (this can change with time and new games). These are all my opinions and mine only. Yours are different and I respect that, but I would like to hear some detailed examples of why you "hate" a system, and why you love another. Thanks for taking you're precious time reader my leagnthy post (as if any of my posts aren't LOL) and have a nice day :)

swOHman
11-27-2001, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by SFGadvKing

ok, the reason that i was suprised is that out of my whole grade in school(which is about 65), i only know of one kid that plans on getting the gamecube. everyone else is getting or atleast wants to get the xbox. around me the xbox is much more popular than the gamecube.

I have a few questions about that. One... what grade? 2... are there any serious gamers in your grade? 3... how many people have you really asked? 4.... how many really plan on buying a system? 5.... how many say they want one because their friend says they want one? 6.... how many have really had a chance to play each a considerable amount of time?

The reason I ask these questions is because many younger people are affected by things such as marketing and product name. People are really don't know much about video games will say Xbox just because it is from Microsoft (which is more recognizable in the US). Also Microsoft is doing much more marketing than Nintendo. I asked about the grade because at a certain age (usually around 14 or 15) kids start to go through a stage where they think they are adults and will avoid games that have any kind of a "kiddy" look, and with Nintendo's false rep. of being a "kiddy" company they could be turned off to the company. This trend really disturbs me as it seems younger and younger kids want to play games with extreme violence and blood and gore. I don't like the way out society is nowadays, and I personally dislike blood and gore in video games (just to let you know I'm only 17, 18 in less than a month, so many could consider me still in the whole I'm an ault now stage although I really never went though it myself). I like that stores won't sell "M" rated games to those under 17 because it lets parents decide what their kids should be playing (parents know better than the kids themselves whther or not their mature enough for certain games, some advice for you younger ones out there coming from someone who's went through adolescents recently.... some things will affect you in different ways that you thought you were "prepared" for). Sorry for preaching a bit, but I think it was warrented. Also those not serious about getting a system will most likely just say what everyone else is saying or what their friends say. Now for a much more scientific pole check issue #150 of EGM (which I just got today). The pole came from gamers.com and aksed which system people were buying this Christmas. 36% said they were buying GameCube while only 20% said Xbox (FYI 36% said they were sticking with PS2 and 8% said both Xbox and GameCube). This is the sentiment I am finding almost everywhere I look in the gaming world. Of course I want an Xbox too, but I did have to chose and I chose GCN. Now in about 8 months I will be buying an Xbox, so I do think it is a good console, just not worth my money at this time. I think it's cool that you're getting an Xbox and I hope you really enjoy it, but many others made the opposite decision as you, and you should be able to repect that too. Sorry for being a little bit preachy, and I hope you still like me :) I think I'll stop posting in the console wars thing now and try to bring untiy to the world of gaming LOL.

swOHman
11-27-2001, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Raptordude
I agree and have many questions about gamecube. 1- Do you have to buy Rumble packs for the controller, like allways with most nintendo things you do! Second, The mem cards look like they hold nothing! Three- The graphics arent too impressive! I was looking at Star Wars and see that the environments are good, but the motions look un-realistic. Lets compare Games!

PS2's best- Metal Gera Solid DOL and GT3

Gamecubes best- Star Wars Rouge Leader........

You can flame us, but you can never take our PS2's, we have our own side!

Ps2-
Raptordude
v2kid62489
joe
and another peep

You DON'T have to buy a rumble pack, the rumble is built in just like the Dual Shock 2 (I don't know where you got the idea that it needed a rumble pack because there aren't any slots in the GCN controller). Also the cards may hold less, buy they are also half the price. Also most of the games only take up 3-5 blocks. Nintendo is making a larger memory card as we speak. I think you left out a few games for GCN's best like Pikmin, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Super Monkey Ball. I really hope you haven't taken my posts as flames. They are just a difference in opinion. Flames are personal attacks on people or things with no real reason. I would never personally attack any of the great posters in this forum. I would really like to know about these unrealistic motions in Rogue Leader, and how motions are included in the graphics department. The game is based on Star Wars, you're not going to get a space sim, you're getting an all out action packed arcade-like shooter. I've played this game for at least 10 hours since I've gotten it and every level looks better the the last and the framerate still hasn't dipped at any moment. The ships and environments are beautiful and wonderfully detailed. Now I really, REALLY hope we don't start little cliques in this forum like it seems you are trying to do. If I had the money I would own all 3 systems and be completely neutral, but for now I like the GCN a little better than the other two.

V2kid62489
11-27-2001, 05:51 PM

V2KID, many of your points are off quite a bit IMO. We can talk about IF developers push PS2 to it's limits it would look better, but the fact remains that that will never happen. A console can never be pushed to it's limits. With this in mind Nintendo developed a console for performance not numbers. The GameCube's CPU and graphics chip were developed specifically for the GCN making the interaction time between the two almost non-existent. It has twice as much RAM as the Xbox, so all games can perform at high framerates and fast load times. Now this is coming from a complete non-tekkie, so maybe a more knowledgeable poster (Tim maybe?) could post more on the numbers. All I can go by is what I see, and I must say that Rogue Leader looks better than any game I'VE SEEN IN PERSON (important because screenshots mean absolutely nothing because the quality of the pictures can differ so greatly). Some of those games I'm comparing it to is MGS:2, Halo, Gran Turismo 3, and Madden 2002 for PS2 (which looks low quality compared to it's GCN counterpart). Most PS2 games look often times grainy and unpolished. Many of them also suffer from framerate problems. The only game I have seen that doesn't suffer from at least one of these problems is Gran Turismo 3. Now about the controller. It makes you look really bad when you say the smallest of the three controllers is too big. Check issue #149 of EGM to see a controller comparison and you will find that GCN's controller is actully slightly smaller than the PS2's and I must say that it is much more comfortable to hold. While I won't flame you (my posts are never meant as flames and I try to never personally attack anyone) about not having experience with each system, I will say that 1 hr. at a retailer does not constitute experience with a system. It is impossible to really tell whether you like a system or not based on an hour of play with the low quality tv's and plenty of distraction around you. Also demo's are oftentimes not up to the quality of the full games. Also saying you hate a system based on 1 hr. of playtime is a little off. It almost sounds as if you want to hate the Cube because you own a PS2 and nothing will ever be as good as it because you own it. This is the kind of attitude that made me make my post in the official console wars post (which these series of posts should be moved to). I will never say I hate a system and actually will never say I dislike a system. I will say I like one more than another, but if I had the money I would own all three. To me it's about games, and good and bad games can be made for any system. I always choose Nintendo first though because I love Nintendo games. That doesn't mean I don't love games from other companies. Some of my favortie games came from Square (which is basically a second party deeloper for Sony now), Sega, and EA. I'm starting to really enjoy many PS2 games, and am thinking of buying one very soon, so don't say I'm biased or a fanboy. I'm just a lover of video games, who happened to fall in love with Nintendo's new console the second I laid my hands on it, and will defend it when I get the chance. Something similar will also happen when I finally get a PS2 and an Xbox. I love games, and when I get something new to play games on I love that too. So again to sum up all my points I've made in the whole this vs. that discussions..... I love games, I really love Nintendo games, I think Nintendo made an excellent console that everyone should have the chance to enjoy, the other consoles are very good too with good games, but my experiences with them so far are that they aren't quite as enjoyable as GCN AT THIS POINT (this can change with time and new games). These are all my opinions and mine only. Yours are different and I respect that, but I would like to hear some detailed examples of why you "hate" a system, and why you love another. Thanks for taking you're precious time reader my leagnthy post (as if any of my posts aren't LOL) and have a nice day
well most people agree X-box isnt very good but i did get all these facts out of gamepro, i guess i have to go to my friend house and see if GCn can change my mind(not likely)!

Kyle L
11-27-2001, 07:00 PM
I changed my mind on Xbox. It looks impressive. Although the games defentley suck, they are bound to get some good games here and there. There was this point about the console companys pointing out thier age group targeting age. It said Nintendo targeted the 7-11 range. (haha! it is kidie mind you!) and that microsoft tagets 10-anywhere above range. And sony is 10-anywhere above. All im sayin is in the past Nintendo has targeted the younger gamers. All my friends now dont have N64 or GC. They all have Sony or Xbox. I still think GC is kiddie.

"go ahead flame us, well fight back"
raptordude
v2kid
raptor
joe
SFgadvking
dyingdutchman
intamin101

V2kid62489
11-27-2001, 07:04 PM
all my friends who got it one who is ten said when they got it man this would have been fun 3 years ago. they love PS2 and X-box. alot of people arent getting gamecube cause it is kiddie and everyone in my town like hates mario and all that. man GCN made dumb move by making the same games over. Also i hate the controllers.

You can flame us but you can never take our PS2's. thats my line!
join the fight to show the world PS2 is the best!

Kyle L
11-27-2001, 07:04 PM

You DON'T have to buy a rumble pack, the rumble is built in just like the Dual Shock 2 (I don't know where you got the idea that it needed a rumble pack because there aren't any slots in the GCN controller). Also the cards may hold less, buy they are also half the price. Also most of the games only take up 3-5 blocks. Nintendo is making a larger memory card as we speak. I think you left out a few games for GCN's best like Pikmin, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Super Monkey Ball. I really hope you haven't taken my posts as flames. They are just a difference in opinion. Flames are personal attacks on people or things with no real reason. I would never personally attack any of the great posters in this forum. I would really like to know about these unrealistic motions in Rogue Leader, and how motions are included in the graphics department. The game is based on Star Wars, you're not going to get a space sim, you're getting an all out action packed arcade-like shooter. I've played this game for at least 10 hours since I've gotten it and every level looks better the the last and the framerate still hasn't dipped at any moment. The ships and environments are beautiful and wonderfully detailed. Now I really, REALLY hope we don't start little cliques in this forum like it seems you are trying to do. If I had the money I would own all 3 systems and be completely neutral, but for now I like the GCN a little better than the other two.

Supermonkey ball looks like it sucks........okay collecting bannanas.....HECKA fun............................................... .................................................. ...............

Kraken
11-27-2001, 08:03 PM
Many of you (escpecially Raptordude) are acting very childish and immature here. You continously say bad things about the "kidde" GameCube, because you are "mature". You think a game has to be dark and violent. What you don't realise is your name-brand loyalty is actually the sign of a closed mind. Microsoft and Sony have won you over. You now think you are a "mature adult" by purchasing Son'y consoles. Wow. Look at you. What a big boy, following one company like a sheep. PS2, XBOX, and GameCube are all VERY good, and in a perfect world, I would buy all 3 of them and play them to death. Another thing-video games are TOY's.Yeah, that's right. Play things. XBOX does not make you cool, because you are buying the "adult" console. It would only be cool if you buy XBOX because you LIKE it. And this "power" issue. You can't measure in bits anymore. While XBOX may have a 733 Megahertz proccesor, it lacks some of the graphic abilities of the PS2 And GameCube, and the same is true for all systems. Each has dffrent setups. In the end, the graphics end up being almost the same. One might look diffrent, but not exactly better.

-Kraken, who is not flaming, and has both Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Sega games at his house.

swOHman
11-28-2001, 01:36 AM
Kraken, thanks for just flat out saying what I was trying to hint at in my posts. I didn't want to just come out and say it because I didn't want it to be taken as a flame. As for V2Kid and Raptordude.... you guys have completely missed the point of my posts. You are trying to turn this into a fight I will chose not to take part in. You can bash a console you know absolutely nothing about all you want, but I will not respond. You can call it "kiddie" all you want, but that won't change the fact that more adults play Nintendo games than kids do (I'm sure you guys are not over 16 by the content of your posts, so I don't know why you think you have to play all adult games now). You are acting like the age you "claim" Nintendo targets, so with that I forever leave the console wars. Good night.............

V2kid62489
11-28-2001, 05:49 PM
Actually the whole console wars thing is pointless. If someone says one system is better than another 10 people will try to change there mind. When i say I like PS2 the best and all of you say why i should think Gamecube is better it isn't gonna change my mind. We should just learn to accept each others opinions. My opinion is PS2 is the best followed X-box then Gamecube and if you've got a problem with that fine but don't push it in my face to change my mind IT WON'T WORK!

PS. I just so happen to like T-M games but i still like SSX and other E rated games so stop bringing up the we think we're so mature argument! But i do think Gamecube is pretty kiddy if ten year olds say its kiddy!

Kyle L
11-28-2001, 05:52 PM
Seriously, It doesnt work at all, Im sorry for all the bad posts i did, but i still like ps2. Its just some things make me over react and its just a wiered feeling i get, I mean, gamecube looks like a Nintendo masterpiece, but Im not into the games that it offers! PS2 just suits me fine, so im sorry okay! Just it kinda made me go crazy, Im just into my PS2....................

swOHman
11-28-2001, 10:16 PM
V2Kid and Raptordude, you just gained a lot of respect from me. It is difficult to come out and say that you overreacted. I also went a little overboard in some posts. I really never meant to change your minds about liking the PS2, I was just offering a counter opinion on your constant bashing of the GameCube. I never meant to bash the PS2 or Xbox as I think they are also very good consoles, so if you took my posts that way, I'm sorry. Lets get on talking about great games for EVERY console and end the console wars. Okay, I am now officially (and I mean it this time) done with posting on the console wars.

Kyle L
11-28-2001, 10:26 PM
Rouge Leader for Gamecube looks supa sweet! Does anyone know if thell ever release the Star Wars Trilogy (the on you find in arcades) for any consoles? Cause thats like the best Star wars game ever!

V2kid62489
11-28-2001, 11:31 PM
yea i wanna play Rogue Squadron again i died to fast so i quit i think it would be fun without dying so fast!

SFGadvKing
11-29-2001, 09:21 PM
i went to best buy and played both for about 10 minutes each.
gamecube - wave race - totally sucked. the graphics were good but at least for they 10 minutes i played of it, it was so hard to controlle that damn jet ski and i did not like the controllers at all

xbox - nfl fever - awesome, the graphics are amazing and the gameplay is great. its such a fun game. for the 10 minutes i played of it, the controllers were alos great. i have pretty big hands and the controller fit in perfectly. looks like a great system and cant wait to get it TOMORROW!!!

Kraken
11-30-2001, 07:45 PM
Yeah. I played Wave Race. The graphics were good, But it was horrible to try and steer the thing. I was going to buy it, but decided not to. I got Crazy Taxi instead.

BTW guys, I don't think GameCube should be your favorite system. I'm just saying it's pointless to hate it because it's "kiddie"!

Why would you like "T to M" games? That is like saying "I like PG-13 to R movies". You think ratings make you mature. "Look, I'm an adult, I only like violent games! Nintendo is kiddy because it markets to all audiences!". Nope. Sorry. It doesn't. The REAL adults are the mature ones who are able to look at a console, look at the games, and make an educated descision on which system to buy, not because "PS2 has more T-M games". This is why more adults then children play Nintendo. Adults are able to look at the system and weigh the benefits of each, then make a descision. As for me, I happened to chose the GameCube. In the future, I intend to purchase the Playstation 2, as I was very, very pleased with the original Playstation. I also am considering buying the XBOX later.

BTW, I beat Rogue leader! I have a medal in all but 3 of the regular mission! Yay! So thats 2 GCN games I have finished. I can't wait till Pikmin comes out, as I have beaten every beatable game I have bought :-)

Rider
11-30-2001, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Kraken

BTW, I beat Rogue leader! I have a medal in all but 3 of the regular mission! Yay! So thats 2 GCN games I have finished. I can't wait till Pikmin comes out, as I have beaten every beatable game I have bought :-)

All Hail!! :) Im still on that stupid Razor mission (and I dont need hints, I can do it on my own!!)