PDA

View Full Version : New Universal Studios Florida Indoor Coaster Revealed!

Greg Johnson
11-18-2001, 05:52 PM
The new coaster at Universal Studios Florida has been discovered. Click HERE (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/article.php?sid=252&mode=thread&order=0) for more info. Post all comments/questions in this thread.

miXmedia
11-18-2001, 05:56 PM
Sorry but your "HERE" isn't clickable. Can you repost the link?

I just leave Florida (July) and I get home to find out I missed out on RnRc, Kraken, and now this? :( All good though :)

SpongeBob
11-18-2001, 06:09 PM
Wow! That looks really...ummmmmm...uhhh...wierd. It is going to be wierd only seeing out of a little hole but it looks quite exciting. I wonder who is building it.

Marcus
11-18-2001, 06:23 PM
Come on Air Launched
It could simulate the taking off or sumthin.
Watever it is im just glad to see a new coaster finally arise.
They only have 2 real good ones and another will really help out the park attract the Florida attention. I got my Chrstimas plans.

rocketman23
11-18-2001, 06:34 PM
This would make USF so much better. I think it'll be between MIB and BTTF. That particular area is walled off, and to the best of my knowledge having dirt being pushed around. Can't wait, you know the theming will be unbelievable. I just just can't help thinking though, is this to counteract Mission Space?;)

Natelox
11-18-2001, 07:29 PM
that sounds really cool. those are some werid train they got goin there. can someone explain them to me?

DannyBoy
11-18-2001, 08:19 PM
It sounds a little weird. I dont know if i like th idea of being closed in and only seeing through a small hole. And it better not go in the king kong building. That rides a classic!

CrystalKat
11-18-2001, 08:39 PM
I doubt it will be air launched, you can see the lift hill in Figure 1 and it wouldn't need it. It doesn't look like an incredibly fast coaster or anything, since there are no distinctly large drops, but I'm sure it will pick up some good speed anyway. Personally, I loved Apollo 13 and am really excited about this type of coaster / themed ride -- Universal concentrates so much on theming and appearance, I'm sure it will be spectacular. C'mon, let's get it built and let me on! :)

may the FORCE be with you
11-18-2001, 11:17 PM
is it just me or does this look like a...TOGO!!!?!?!?!????!!!????

the one inversion is very TOGO-ish.

cgodsey
11-18-2001, 11:57 PM
Found out when I went to Universal the maker of the A13 enclosed coaster will be.....

INTAMIN!

SFstinks
11-19-2001, 12:26 PM
Has this project been approved, or is it still in a proposal phase?

Greg Johnson
11-19-2001, 02:52 PM
if its patented, yes it is aprroved

cgodsey
11-19-2001, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by SFstinks
Has this project been approved, or is it still in a proposal phase?

This ride has been on the boards for at least 3 years. It was planned for 2002 when I worked there in 1999.

alPenGuy195
11-20-2001, 04:32 PM
If the designer is indeed Intamin, it would appear that they would need to use the 'drop-away floor' seen on floorless coasters in order to board passengers.

Looking at the schematics of the coaster cars, it doesn't seem as if there is enough floor on the coaster cars to board without using a 'drop-away floor.'

It also looks as if the restraint system will be comfortable--no horsecollars of any kind. :)

PKI MAN
11-20-2001, 05:19 PM
Im going down there for the FIRST Robotics competition (Epcot at least) and on my list is IOA, might make a quick stop over at Universal to check it out. It sounds interesting, but my concern is with all the moving parts on the car itself, how often will it be down the first couple of years?

Greg Johnson
11-20-2001, 06:52 PM
i think Universal learned their lesson when they opened. I think they will be more careful this time

coastergenius100
11-21-2001, 09:35 AM
This looks like a nice, enjoyable coaster.

greatadventurerocks
11-22-2001, 08:38 AM
I dont know how you people are looking at this, but to me it seems to have 3 inversions: an inline-twist (i think) near the beginning , an immelman (or that roll and twist thing on manhattan express) and something that looks like a corkscrew. Anyway it looks like its gunna be fun!

Ta2KX
11-22-2001, 11:08 AM
Its gotta be an Intamin twisting looper like Lethal Weapon at WB movie studios. Those trains look ummmmm interesting but their basic design looks like an Intamin inverted flipped over.

Coasterchild
11-22-2001, 06:14 PM
I think coaster looks very interesting and would be a fun expierence, but i Do think if it is themed to Apollo 13 that it needs like a launched lift or something that will shoot the trains up or forward or what not for a lift off expierence.

CP Maverick
11-24-2001, 12:43 AM
wow, im pretty impressed... i cant wait to visit IoA :D ... seems to me that they are pretty good at building innovative rides, and this looks like one to me... can we say combination spiderman/space mountain?

Chernabog
11-25-2001, 02:35 PM
I hate to burst people's bubbles. . .

What you're seeing here is a patent application. More precisely, it's some of the images associated with a patent application. There's a lot of paperwork that goes along with that stuff that explains who's applying for the patent, as well as what the patented object does.

Now, let me clear up some misconceptions about all of what you're seeing.

First - this is an application. It does not mean the patent has been issued.

Second - Themed entertainment companies, and Walt Disney Imagineering and Universal Creative in particular, apply for patents very, very frequently. They have entire research and development departments that just sit around and think stuff up. The application of a patent is just a step toward ensuring someone doesn't beat the applicant to the punch. It does not mean, at all, that the project has been greenlighted.

Third! - Since this is a patent application, the drawings are all very, very generalized. They do not show most decorative applications that might adorn the ride vehicles. Also. . . that does not necessarily represent the true layout of the ride. Instead, it might show a possible layout. Things change.

Fourth - PKI MAN, what team are you on? I am a mentor on team #810 - The Mechanical Bulls, and I'll be in Epcot for the Championship event as well!

Anyway, take away what you will from this. Let it be a learning experience, or think I am crazy, or whatever. It's an interesting find, but it's not *the* find. Usually, the place to look for definite information regarding a park's actions is at the local planning board's office, as they'll have records of what permits have been issued and stuff like that.

~ Michael ~

Rider
11-25-2001, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Chernabog
I hate to burst people's bubbles. . .

What you're seeing here is a patent application. More precisely, it's some of the images associated with a patent application. There's a lot of paperwork that goes along with that stuff that explains who's applying for the patent, as well as what the patented object does.

Now, let me clear up some misconceptions about all of what you're seeing.

First - this is an application. It does not mean the patent has been issued.

Second - Themed entertainment companies, and Walt Disney Imagineering and Universal Creative in particular, apply for patents very, very frequently. They have entire research and development departments that just sit around and think stuff up. The application of a patent is just a step toward ensuring someone doesn't beat the applicant to the punch. It does not mean, at all, that the project has been greenlighted.

Third! - Since this is a patent application, the drawings are all very, very generalized. They do not show most decorative applications that might adorn the ride vehicles. Also. . . that does not necessarily represent the true layout of the ride. Instead, it might show a possible layout. Things change.

Fourth - PKI MAN, what team are you on? I am a mentor on team #810 - The Mechanical Bulls, and I'll be in Epcot for the Championship event as well!

Anyway, take away what you will from this. Let it be a learning experience, or think I am crazy, or whatever. It's an interesting find, but it's not *the* find. Usually, the place to look for definite information regarding a park's actions is at the local planning board's office, as they'll have records of what permits have been issued and stuff like that.

~ Michael ~

^ All true. Listen to him. ^

Except I think it is no longer a application. They have a patent.

Greg Johnson
11-25-2001, 09:45 PM
we have our sources, it IS going to go in USF

Chernabog
11-25-2001, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Greg Johnson
if its patented, yes it is aprroved

Sources aside, what you wrote is very, very unclear.

Upone rereading it, I assume you meant that if Universal Creative is granted the patent, the design will go forward as planned. It can also easily read as, "When a ride is patented, it will be built."

Surely, you can see what I mean.

Now, I don't much care for sources of any sort. The ride system is certainly unique, and I'd be more than happy to speculate about it, but the ride itself is nothing but an idea until someone from Universal gets on the AP and tells me so.

Sources are for people who need to feel important. If someone shares credible information with you, I think you should either share all of it or just keep your mouth shut. While you might enjoy being the envy of 14 year old fanboys who'd like some privileged information of their own, I suspect that most people's interest lie in the ride itself - and not your own perceived self-importance.

cgodsey
11-26-2001, 01:28 AM
Well, I am a formal employee in Universal's Creative Department. This coaster has been planned since IOA was built and opened. Patents take anywhere from 18-60 months to get approved. It depends on how thorough the application is whether or not is approved right away.

I was at IAAPA last week and stopped by Universal to talk to some friends. This coaster is getting built for 02 or 03 at USF. I also know who is doing the track portion of the coaster as well....

trust me, this thing WILL be built!

CHRIS

S:ROSFNE
11-26-2001, 04:19 PM
That whole concept is pretty weird but clever. I think it will be interesting to say the least.

Chernabog
11-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by cgodsey
Well, I am a formal employee in Universal's Creative Department. This coaster has been planned since IOA was built and opened. Patents take anywhere from 18-60 months to get approved. It depends on how thorough the application is whether or not is approved right away.

I was at IAAPA last week and stopped by Universal to talk to some friends. This coaster is getting built for 02 or 03 at USF. I also know who is doing the track portion of the coaster as well....

trust me, this thing WILL be built!

CHRIS

Well, that's not quite what I was talking about - and, at the same time, another example of what bugs me.

First, I was referring only to the patent drawings and what was written about them. I won't speculate as to whether or not this project, or any project based on these patents, has been greenlit. Instead, I was simply trying to clarify that just because a patent application was submitted does not indicate that a project has been given the greenlight.

I recognize you from your work with Wild Country USA, I think. While I respect your former employment at Universal Creative and any skills you may have (What do you, exactly?) - I just see no point in saying "I also know who is doing the track portion of the coaster as well...." and leaving it at that. Share that information, or don't mention it at all.

Even then, it's still speculation as far as I'm concerned, but that's a judgement that needs to be made on an individual basis.

Greg Johnson
11-27-2001, 10:16 PM
Part of the reason it was unclear, is because as you said, many elements are still un-confirmed. While we KNOW it will be built, other elements arn't %100 clear. Your posts are well thought out, and i appriciate that. There is nothing more we can do now except wait and see what happens!:)
Greg

cgodsey
11-27-2001, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Chernabog
[B]
- I just see no point in saying "I also know who is doing the track portion of the coaster as well...." and leaving it at that. Share that information, or don't mention it at all.

I have mentioned it in other posts...INTAMIN the track and the people that built Spidey are doing the vehicles and theming.

rocketman23
11-28-2001, 09:56 PM
Looky here what I found, this is an aerial of Universal Orlando. Zoom in between MIB and BTTF. I smell landwork... ;)

http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn/twn-map_results&aerial_photo_tab.x=1&aphoto=1&uid=u0t9wetc4fh2rdua:2x5fbadr80&SNVData=3mad3-h.fy%280y500t_%29r25gzy%3bpq%7cs9z,p7%3b8aq.%20hqu %3b%28_Xn33wqq_M%12%28_F%15%28l54bg9%3a_g9atwq%<br>3aa%3bwh%7c2%24hgv%28l3iedgv%245l1t%3b8&pcat=

DannyBoy
11-29-2001, 08:59 PM
Sorry, but i dont see it.

coasterlove
11-29-2001, 11:24 PM
This definitly sounds like an interesting ride/coaster. A simulator that alsom is a coaster. I'd like to see this ahve an effect on some coasters that come out in the future at other parks. The price tag on it might be too expensive for other parks to follow their example though.

Greg Johnson
11-30-2001, 06:12 AM
Once thing about those maps, the pic could have been taken in 1990. They arn't real time maps.

cgodsey
11-30-2001, 09:35 AM
Once thing about those maps, the pic could have been taken in 1990. They arn't real time maps.

Were those parking garages there in 1990?? nope

Were there 2 lakes surrounded by rides in 1990?? nope

If you look real closely you can see all of the Universal Orlando resort...Citywalk, IOA, USF, parking garages, hotels, the new I-4 entrance ramp... This photo was recent and I will tell you how I know...

Go to the employee parking lot at the top left of the photo. Move to the right. See that large building next to the smaller one? That is MIB. Then move more to the right, see that empty space there? THAT is where the next attraction will be. That is where the old Hard Rock Cafe used to stand. Now, it's time for something else that ROCKS to go there :)

Still can't see it??? Zoom into that area...

You can even see the construction going on. Are those Trailers already there???.....BAM!

cgodsey
11-30-2001, 09:43 AM
Another tidbit of info..Islands of Adventure

Zoom into the the area between Dudley Do Right and JP River adventure. Notice that land clearing too?? Can you say JEEP ADVENTURE??? I can :D

rocketman23
11-30-2001, 02:34 PM

Zoom into the the area between Dudley Do Right and JP River adventure. Notice that land clearing too?? Can you say JEEP ADVENTURE??? I can :D

Thank you for proving my point, but Jeep Ride between Dudley and JPRA? I think it'll be in the land by Flying Unicorn(that is even if it is a jeep ride, I wanna coaster). I think the area between Dudley & JPRA is as of now just a graveyard for parts and such.

cgodsey
11-30-2001, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by rocketman23

Thank you for proving my point, but Jeep Ride between Dudley and JPRA? I think it'll be in the land by Flying Unicorn(that is even if it is a jeep ride, I wanna coaster). I think the area between Dudley & JPRA is as of now just a graveyard for parts and such.

Well, when the Jeep Adventure is built there, remember who told you...hehehehe :)

rocketman23
11-30-2001, 06:17 PM
Ok, maybe it will, but as of now I still say it's a graveyard. I look back in that field everytime I ride Dudley, but all I see are props and trash cans and other spare stuff.

Raptor
12-12-2001, 05:15 PM
Hmm... according to THIS ARTICLE (http://orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-aseckong12121201dec12.story?coll=orl%2Dbusiness%2D headlines) from the Orlando Sentinel, it won't be based on Apollo 13, but instead, themed to "The Mummy Returns." Does anyone know anything about this? Is the article wrong?

rocketman23
12-12-2001, 05:31 PM
The article is a rumor, but is beggining to be a convincing one. If there were this coaster, it would be in place of Kong. There has been much buzz about this recently and I believe Banner said that the long-time Kong billboard is gone which it is. This story is on the front page and on the news! It also mentions making the move from Ghostbusters to Twister(MISTAKE!). I think we better keep a close eye on Kong in the coming months.

Rider
12-26-2001, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by rocketman23
The article is a rumor, but is beggining to be a convincing one. If there were this coaster, it would be in place of Kong. There has been much buzz about this recently and I believe Banner said that the long-time Kong billboard is gone which it is. This story is on the front page and on the news! It also mentions making the move from Ghostbusters to Twister(MISTAKE!). I think we better keep a close eye on Kong in the coming months.

I went to USF again last week. And Twister is the best thing there (next to MIB and T2:3D). All the different effects come together and make you feel like you are in the middle of a storm. Very real, very convincing.

hypersonic762
01-01-2002, 09:18 PM

Off topic, if they aren't real time, then why don't I see the WTC standing in NYC anymore?

Back on topic, it does look fun!

person who loves coasters
01-02-2002, 01:28 PM

I don't think that they're getting a Jeep Adventure ride...I talked to some park officials that told me the Jeep Adventure ride was originally going to go in place of JPRA, but when they heard that BGT was receiving a very similar jeep tour ride, they decided to clone The Jurassic Park Ride from Hollywood. My bet is on a coaster...most likely another B&M :D

RaptorXLC
01-02-2002, 04:13 PM
what kind of coaster is it and when will it open?
:*)

rocketman23
01-02-2002, 04:30 PM
It is not confirmed yet so pretty much no one can say for sure.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-10-2002, 09:59 PM
i just have one comment to make for all of u guys u really would like some speed on this coastr...i might be wrong on this if i was mislead by one of the pictures...i think it was just to show u what the inside of the capsule was like but if that does open up like that during the middle ride or whatver....it will be unable to gain a lot of speed because of air resistance...but im prob worng though....also i dont know if u guys have been on test track before or anything like what is about to be produced(hopefuly) in the next 2 or 3 years wont be as exciting as u think it will....well i wont think it will because your in an enclosed car, u cant feel that strong wind and it will be like driving in a car down a highway witha cuople a wacky turns... im glad USF is getting some new attraction but all i hope for as an opened up vehicle and not some capsule where u can only see everything through a little hole...btw im just tryin to get this thread bak on trak so sry if im not with the current subj

PatCat751
01-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Am I correct in that 2 months before TN posted the news, CGodsey posted the news about the universal coaster? If so, why isn't he getting credit?

Coastr Crazy 72
01-14-2002, 05:37 PM
i have no idea but this shouldnt be its own thread this should be part of the other thread that talks bout the new universal coastr

PatCat751
01-14-2002, 05:38 PM
it was there, all the posts talking about it got removed.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-14-2002, 05:40 PM
dude im talking bout the one on this forum titled new universal indoor coaster revealed...they talk bout this too there and this should be discussed there and no posts got removed

jojo103081
02-06-2002, 08:34 PM
I went to Universal today and asked around a bit about the new coaster... seems the overwhelming majority has been told that the new coaster has been scrapped and King Kong will be shut down permanently in September to make way for a ride based on "The Mummy." One of the workers said not to bet on anything though, plans change constantly. Just sharing what I heard. :)

person who loves coasters
03-16-2002, 01:29 PM
My guess is an Intamin coaster with a launch in the middle of the ride. BTW, it is not Apollo 13...

Raging Rider
03-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Air launched would be cool, but I guess not. It'll be weird enclosed in a car, and it'll be weird going thorugh an inversion inside a car. Who is building it?

Bencerisback
03-17-2002, 02:01 PM
u know u guys, i think that there is 2 - 3 inversions in this coaster, and wat if the capsulflips u around, kind of like an X coaster,i am not saying that it will happen, but it would be awesome if it did!
and IOA better no get a jeep ride, u get that at animal kingdom, and at bgt, go there and get real animals, not fake dinos! JPA is already like a safari, with a huge drop at the end, a safari can barely get better than that! I am hoping for a flyer or stand-up
:= ;party; :kiss: :sadface: :*) :sick: :devil: :heart: :flip:

Rider
04-07-2002, 11:40 PM
I was at Universal a few days ago and talked to a few OPs on Kong. All had the same story so its most likely true.

Kong was going to be closed after Halloween but then they held that off. Then it was going to close in Feb. then March. And now they have no sure date for it to close but it will happen.

Universal will be putting in a ride based on the new Scorpion King movie.

Robert Walker
04-09-2002, 06:29 PM
I know a person that works for Universal in the Engineering dept. He told us on another board that we should ride Kong one last time before Memorial Day. I would think if anybody knows he would.

DHollon
04-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Why would they base a coaster on the Scorpion King? There isn't much of anything in the movie that you could tie into a themed coaster. I think Apollo 13 would be a much better theme, but hey I don't get paid the bucks to tell them what to do.

rocketman23
04-09-2002, 07:01 PM
I agree with that DHollon and am opposed to this theme. This would be in the New York area too which is really off-theme! I say bring the Ghostbusters back as a coaster!!!:flip: That will never happen though...:rolleyes:

sonic69
04-09-2002, 08:43 PM
The Fast And The Furious!!!It show a big screen then when hes about to go it shoots you 0-60 in 2.4 seconds!

rocketman23
04-09-2002, 09:48 PM
Here's my beef about a Fast & The Furious theme: This movie is not a lasting movie!!!

What do all Universal rides have in common? They are all movies that resonate long after their release. Fast and the Furious does not rank among Jaws, King Kong, T2, ET, BTTF, Earthquake, or MIB. The majority of people will not remember this film two years from now!

sonic69
04-10-2002, 11:26 AM
I never heard of earthquake the movie

DHollon
04-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Yes you have. That movie won Universal several awards, including best visual effects.

Dr.Bruce Banner
04-18-2002, 10:09 PM
I feel the same about the Scorpion King Coaster going into Kong.... How can you put an Egyptian themed Coaster in the middle of NYC??? It just dont work! I am really seeing the Apollo 13 coaster going in next year. But we will wait and see.

Aaron
04-18-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Bruce Banner
I feel the same about the Scorpion King Coaster going into Kong.... How can you put an Egyptian themed Coaster in the middle of NYC???That would be really strange, an Egyptian themed coaster in the middle of an urban area. If they want to build an Egyptain coaster, build it somewhere else. If they want to build a coaster in the NYC, theme it to NYC, and not a country a few thousand miles away.

cgodsey
04-19-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Bruce Banner
I feel the same about the Scorpion King Coaster going into Kong.... How can you put an Egyptian themed Coaster in the middle of NYC??? It just dont work! I am really seeing the Apollo 13 coaster going in next year. But we will wait and see.

I brought up this point months ago when I posted those Patent photos and everyone said the scorpion king ride was going into where Kong was. That makes NO sense at all. Universal would never put an egyptian themed ride smack dab in the middle of NYC!

They are constructing something in a plot of land between MIB and BTTF. Look on page 3 of this thread to see the satellite image someone posted that showed the construction.

I believe the A13 will be fit there more logically. Kong is a legendary ride and I still find it hard to believe that they are dumping it after making major the mechanical changes they made to it recently.

Rider
04-19-2002, 02:45 PM
But then there are still the Kong Ops who have been told it is closing soon.

cgodsey
04-20-2002, 02:11 AM
After seeing the movie tonight, there is NO WAY Universal would make a coaster after the scorpion king. When I went to the 9:20pm showing, the theater was 20% full.. pathetic for a supposed blockbuster movie in a big city like Memphis.... There were absolutely no scenes from the movie that would make a great coaster experience.. not ONE!

Rider
04-21-2002, 01:00 AM
After seeing the movie tonight, there is NO WAY Universal would make a coaster after the scorpion king. When I went to the 9:20pm showing, the theater was 20% full.. pathetic for a supposed blockbuster movie in a big city like Memphis.... There were absolutely no scenes from the movie that would make a great coaster experience.. not ONE!

While I do understand all you say I just want to point one thing out. See... it dosnet have to be a coaster.

The Ops I talked to never said coaster. They just said a ride.

Hulk
04-21-2002, 09:09 AM
The Could make the que a measum and they could think of the rest!

Rider
04-21-2002, 08:52 PM

O... and I think you may have had a "special" experience.

http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html

cgodsey
04-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Rider

O... and I think you may have had a "special" experience.

http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html

I know.. I am completely shocked. It was the newest theater in the Memphis area and still had no where close to half capacity in a 9:20pm showing. Maybe it was special as you called it. But, I still believe it will not be as much of a money maker as the Mummy movies were. After all the wrestling fans see it, I'm sure it will disappear quietly behind Spiderman, Scooby Doo, and Star Wars: Episode II

Here is something to think about from that article...
"The Rock co-starred in Universal's "The Mummy Returns," which opened with $68.1 million in May 2001; its predecessor, "The Mummy," bowed with $43.4 million the previous May. However Universal executives and rival studios said the "Scorpion" bow was on target. The film's audience was generally aged between 13 and 34, with males making up 56 percent of viewers.."

Decent opening weekend, but not as good as the Mummy movies.

Rider
04-22-2002, 02:33 PM
Well... this IS mid-April... ;)

cp_kw_pki_and_woa_fan
04-25-2002, 10:48 PM
how many inversions are there... i can't tell... maybe the lift hill will be launched?