PDA

View Full Version : X Box Is Winning?

dukesta226
12-10-2001, 07:37 PM
How is X box winning? They said this at IGN.com and i don't no how they could? Can anyone provide me with some insight on this?

Inferno
12-10-2001, 08:10 PM
By winning, I guess you mean between X Box, Game Cube and PS2. I guess won in overall sales in the past week or so.

ghosta
12-10-2001, 08:27 PM
That may be true. The x box is the turtle(slow starting but gains) and the gamecube is the fox(starts fast, slows down)
now that there are not many GC's around and there are x boxes, many people are buying those boxes.

phantompenguin
12-10-2001, 08:52 PM
true

I am yet to see a GC in a store and I've seen around 20-30 X-Boxes

dukesta226
12-11-2001, 07:49 PM
I saw the opposite i saw gamecube no x box

CoasterClyde
12-12-2001, 08:16 AM
around here, they are both sold out. In my opinion, gamecube has an edge over xbox with games although it doesnt have the power that the box has

KoasterKing
12-12-2001, 09:12 PM
WHAT thats crazy imo gamecube and p2s are both better than xbox

Marcus
12-13-2001, 04:09 PM
Im really getting confused!!!!!
One day i saw all Xboxs sold out with plenty of gamecubes
Then a week later there was plenty of Xboxs and no Gamecubes

It really shifts from day to day but the suprizing thing is how suddenly it happens.

RagingBull#1
12-14-2001, 07:57 PM
actually more gamecubes have been sold, microsofts figure didnt include walmart the highest gamecube retailer

coasterguy1
12-15-2001, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by CoasterClyde
around here, they are both sold out. In my opinion, gamecube has an edge over xbox with games although it doesnt have the power that the box has

Just becuase IBM says it is a 400 MHz processor doesnt mean it doesnt exceed the power of Intel. I read somewhere that the Gamecube preocessor is at least equal to the X-Box's. And even if there are more X-Boxes on the shelves, it could mean that they just arent selling very well. Nintendo has shipped over 1.2 MILLION gamecubes. That is alot of gamecubes. If they have all sold out, then it must mean they are quite popular.

RagingBull#1
12-15-2001, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by coasterguy1

Just becuase IBM says it is a 400 MHz processor doesnt mean it doesnt exceed the power of Intel. I read somewhere that the Gamecube preocessor is at least equal to the X-Box's. And even if there are more X-Boxes on the shelves, it could mean that they just arent selling very well. Nintendo has shipped over 1.2 MILLION gamecubes. That is alot of gamecubes. If they have all sold out, then it must mean they are quite popular.

yea i heard that the 400 mhz gekko is more powerful than a 1ghz pentium

slipknot8527
12-16-2001, 01:44 AM
Guys...you'll have to read the facts. I too wanted a Gamecube...but the games suck. They are getting terrible reviews in magazines. Aside from Star Wars of course. Everyone is appaleed that the launch title was Luigi Mansion. I mean, has anyone here played this? I picked it up and I just said....what the hell? I was always against X-BOX but its games are getting rave reviews. Tony Hawks 3, Halo, Abes Exoddus, Nascar Heat 2002, Shenmue 2....I'm sticking with an X-Box. Cant ignore the facts!

Raptor
12-16-2001, 02:33 AM
Exactly. What was Nintendo thinking with some of its launch titles? Luigis Mansion?? What were they thinking?? Whoopee, lets play a game where you walk around slowly and vacuum up ghosts!!

swOHman
12-16-2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by slipknot8527
Guys...you'll have to read the facts. I too wanted a Gamecube...but the games suck. They are getting terrible reviews in magazines. Aside from Star Wars of course. Everyone is appaleed that the launch title was Luigi Mansion. I mean, has anyone here played this? I picked it up and I just said....what the hell? I was always against X-BOX but its games are getting rave reviews. Tony Hawks 3, Halo, Abes Exoddus, Nascar Heat 2002, Shenmue 2....I'm sticking with an X-Box. Cant ignore the facts!

Facts huh? Well considering half the games you mentioned for Xbox aren't correct I'm sure you have your facts straight. First of all Tony Hawk 3 is NOT on the Xbox, but it is on the GameCube. All Xbox owners got was a port of Tony Hawk 1,2 called Tony Hawk 2x. Also Abes Exodus is NOT on the Xbox (it was made about 3 years ago for the PS1), it is called Much's Oddysse and I have only seen one good review of the game and that came from EGM. Also NASCAR Heat isn't getting very good reviews (unless you consider a 6 a good score), and Shenmue 2 won't be out until fall of 2002, so we have no idea if it will be good or not (also I wouldn't be so sure it will be exclusive to the Xbox). Everyone is appauled that Luigi's Mansion was a launch title? (I do hope you realize that there was more than one game at launch because you said THE launch title). Everyone I've talked to that has played this game has enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it was tons of fun, and while it was short I thought it a good enough game to play throught it again immediately. It is slated as the fastest selling launch title of all time. If people didn't like it I don't think they would buy it. So you think Rogue Leader is the only game getting good reviews huh? Let me go through some other games that are getting excellent reviews: Super Monkey Ball, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Madden NFL 2002, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros. Melee, SSX Tricky, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 just to name a few. There is only one game that I would even remotely call good on the Xbox right now and that is Halo. The rest are basically the same games we've been getting the last few years from Sony. Stale fighting games (DOA 3 and Kabuki Warriors), overhyped and boring adventure games (Munch's Oddysse and New Legends), and sub par sports games (NASCAR Heat and NFL Fever). There isn't really any glimmer of hope we will see a good RPG on the Xbox (the only one announced right now is Project Ego) any time soon, and I wouldn't be surprised that at this time next year 80% of their games will be on-line only (they are basing too much of their success on a concept that hasn't been proven will work yet, on-line gaming). I really doubt you were always against the Xbox as your post is bordering on fanboyish, and these "facts" you claim to have are not even close to correct, and are being based on others opinions.

slipknot8527
12-16-2001, 02:57 PM
Dude, what I mean by a launch title is the standard Mario launch.

Super Nintendo-Super Mario World

Nitendo 64- Super Mario 64

Gamecube- Luigis Mansion

See? And I meant Munchs Odyssey. You know that. I wanted a Gamecube at first but the magazines are giving the games terrible reviews, while X BOX games are getting the best marks in the most important category---FUN FACTOR. The Gamecube games look great, but they just arent that fun. Also, THPS3 IS coming out for the XBOX.

Also, I think I've just grown out of Nintendo products. They seem aimed at 13 year old kids. I mean I cant stand the Smash Bros. games. I dont know, I just prefer to get an XBOX for all the action games.

ghosta
12-16-2001, 03:04 PM

Gamecube- Luigis Mansion

See? And I meant Munchs Odyssey. You know that. I wanted a Gamecube at first but the magazines are giving the games terrible reviews, while X BOX games are getting the best marks in the most important category---FUN FACTOR. The Gamecube games look great, but they just arent that fun. Also, THPS3 IS coming out for the XBOX.

Also, I think I've just grown out of Nintendo products. They seem aimed at 13 year old kids. I mean I cant stand the Smash Bros. games. I dont know, I just prefer to get an XBOX for all the action games. Mario sunshine will come out next year. ANd hey guess what WHY THE HELL did they make THPS 2X, thats the dumbest idea ever. ANd we already have THPS3. And magazines are biased. YOUR AN X BOX FANBOY!!!!!BOYS GET HIM

intamin101
12-16-2001, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by CeDaRPoInTzTeR
Im really getting confused!!!!!
One day i saw all Xboxs sold out with plenty of gamecubes
Then a week later there was plenty of Xboxs and no Gamecubes

It really shifts from day to day but the suprizing thing is how suddenly it happens.
The reason that you are seeing that, is because shipments come at different times. Like one day Walmart or whatever will get a shipment of GCs and they will get sold out within the day most likely. Then the next day you go to Walmart again, and you see that they got a shipment of X Boxes, and they will most likely get sold out in the next week or so. So the reason is probably not shifting of interest, just weird shipping schedules.

coastergenius100
12-16-2001, 03:35 PM
I suppose that Microsoft is dominating, like usual.

RagingBull#1
12-16-2001, 03:45 PM
actually nintendo is beating microsoft

swOHman
12-18-2001, 03:33 PM

Gamecube- Luigis Mansion

Also, I think I've just grown out of Nintendo products. They seem aimed at 13 year old kids. I mean I cant stand the Smash Bros. games. I dont know, I just prefer to get an XBOX for all the action games.

Actually that's what everyone is saying about GameCube. The games aren't groundbreaking in any areas (except for Rogue Leader and Pikmin), but they are being called pure fun. Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race: Blue Storm... these are all being called fun games. You must be reading EGM and only EGM because that is the only magazine I've seen giving good reviews to Xbox games (of course they only reviewed about 4 GCN games too, so it seems they are being a little biased). Check out IGN. The average reviews for GameCube games is higher than that of Xbox. Also GCN has yet to have a game reviewed that is under a 6. Xbox has 2, Kabuki Warriors and Shrek. Of course all reviews are different and mean absolutely nothing to me, so I have no idea why I'm even getting involved in this. Also outgrowing Nintendo? It seems you are entering the stage I've mentioned before where you can't play anything that someone under 13 can also play because it somehow makes you feel immature while in actuality it shows immaturity when you won't play a game if it seems "kiddy". I've said it millions of times, but I'll say it again... Nintendo makes games for all ages. Yes kids can play them, but they are incredibly challenging and satisfying for adults. I'm 18, and would rather play a well crafted "kiddy" game from Nintendo, than a "just good" game that has all the uneeded blood and language. Out of my top 10 favorite games only one of them is rated above E and that is Final Fantasy VIII (or would've been rated E because most of them came before the ESRB ratings). Of course for those who can't get over that complex Nintendo is taking strides to have more "adult" games on the GameCube. Games like Eternal Darkness (which is first party), the next 6 Resident Evil games exclusive, Perfect Dark Zero, Blood Rayne, Evolution Worlds, Rune, 007: Agent Under Fire, Soul Calibur 2, Metroid Prime, Galleon, and many more.

I've never said the Xbox is a bad system, I just prefer GameCube. I do think that Xbox threw out their best games at launch though, and only one of their so called "best" games impressed me. Nintendo is being wise and spreading out all of their excellent games throughout this year and next. We'll have Eternal Darkness and Star Fox Adventure next spring, Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime next summer, and Zelda and Perfect Dark Zero next fall and winter. Also in between all of those first and second party games we'll see a plethera of 3rd party games like Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle from Sega, Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero from Capcom, Galleon, Rune, NBA 2K2 (Visual Concepts is also working on an unnamed sports game exclusively for GCN), and NBA Street. Also there are many, MANY, games that will be announced at E3. Right now there is only 1 game that I'm even remotely interested in for the Xbox next year and that is Shenmue 2 (which is a game that might find its way to GCN). I think M$ put a little too much into the launch and may not have much steam next year. But, I must say that if I had the money I would own a PS2 and an Xbox just so I can get the gems that show up exclusive for those systems, but all in all I buy Nintendo first because I know I can expect excellence.

SFGadvKing
12-18-2001, 09:26 PM
good for microsoft that they are winning! i cant stand all these gamecube freaks! so far out of the kids in my class, 10 have xbox and 1 has gamecube. and you cant say that GCN's games are better than xbox's. ssx for xbox got a 9 (IGN) and got a 7.9 on GCN. halo got a 9.7, DOA3 got a 9.4, and nhl 2002 got a 9. yes, GCN also has good games but all these people sayignt hat its so much better than xbox is just going too far. i have 6 games for xbox so far and not one of them i am dissapointed in. theres going to be some awesome games comming out for xbox including max payne, whihc is supposed to be unbeleivable and YES!, tony hawk 3 IS comming out for xbox. you really shouldnt not like a system because you dont like the company that makes it, you shouldnt like it because you dont think its a good system. i like nintendo but i dont like the system, the controllers are too small (i have big hands, i can palm a basketball so the xbox controllers arent too big), i really dont like the colors, and it just doesnt look like strong built system. as for the disks, they are too small, they cant play dvd's and they can barely fit any room on it(there wont be one game that will need two disks for xbox). i think that nintendo screwed up with n64 and now IMO they arent on a good start with GCN. phew, i had to get that out!

Kyle L
12-18-2001, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SFGadvKing
good for microsoft that they are winning! i cant stand all these gamecube freaks! so far out of the kids in my class, 10 have xbox and 1 has gamecube. and you cant say that GCN's games are better than xbox's. ssx for xbox got a 9 (IGN) and got a 7.9 on GCN. halo got a 9.7, DOA3 got a 9.4, and nhl 2002 got a 9. yes, GCN also has good games but all these people sayignt hat its so much better than xbox is just going too far. i have 6 games for xbox so far and not one of them i am dissapointed in. theres going to be some awesome games comming out for xbox including max payne, whihc is supposed to be unbeleivable and YES!, tony hawk 3 IS comming out for xbox. you really shouldnt not like a system because you dont like the company that makes it, you shouldnt like it because you dont think its a good system. i like nintendo but i dont like the system, the controllers are too small (i have big hands, i can palm a basketball so the xbox controllers arent too big), i really dont like the colors, and it just doesnt look like strong built system. as for the disks, they are too small, they cant play dvd's and they can barely fit any room on it(there wont be one game that will need two disks for xbox).
arent on a good start with GCN. phew, i had to get that out!

Gamecube freaks? GAMECUBE FREAKS?! Yea we might like gamecube, and thats is exactly WHAT WE LIKE! The only thing i hate about Xbox is that it practically is a comp! It has all the same charectersitics of a good computer. This is what stops me from buying it! (well the games are "not my style" Aka.....suck...............) of course there are SOME good games. Just Microsoft trys to be in EVERYTHING! I dont think the will survive IMO. I think that Sony and Nintendo will go all the way with some help from Sega games. So microsoft, Stick with computers OK?

V2kid62489
12-18-2001, 11:12 PM
In my opinion X-Box is far "inferior" to Gamecube and PS2. Lets have a comparison shall we. Firstly, X-Box's controllers are the worst I've used, they are huge, buttons are in weird places (Back button is nice convenience) lots of buttons, the gamecube controller is very small and comfy, but the controls are in weird places but still good, PS2 has IMO the perfect controller it's small comfy and the buttons are in logical and easy positions. Now lets compare the Hard drive/Internet on the consoles, X-Box has built in hard drive with modem connections, the hard drive is great because there is no need for memory cards and the internet should be active for online play next year, the gamecube doesn't have much on this matter, it has hard drive/internet ports but I'm not sure exactly what nintendo will do with this, for 40 dollars you can buy a 40 MB hard drive/internet for the PS2, the internet will be more then just online play(though it does it[THPS3]) it will also include e-mail, streaming media and access to the world wide web(though you need to buy a keyboard and mouse). On the matter of DVD's , X-Box is able to with a remote which costs just as much as the PS2's hard drive, the gamecube is said to release a DVD player next year, the PS2 has a built in DVD-rom/Cd-rom player the games are on DVD-roms so it should be able to play DVD's and it does. The graphics are al very good but there are some exceptions, on X-Box most games are beautiful (Amped, PGR) but on some games (THPS2x) the graphics are awful for a next gen console, it looks barely as good as THPS2 does on my old 98 dell with little 3/D capabilities, Gamecubes are some of the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen, Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader Waverace are as close as real as it comes, and PS2 Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies, Gran Turismo 3 A-spec and FFX, need I say more? Now in conclusion the order from best to worst in the next gen consoles IMO is PS2, Gamecube, then last is X-Box !

swOHman
12-19-2001, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SFGadvKing
good for microsoft that they are winning! i cant stand all these gamecube freaks! so far out of the kids in my class, 10 have xbox and 1 has gamecube. and you cant say that GCN's games are better than xbox's. ssx for xbox got a 9 (IGN) and got a 7.9 on GCN. halo got a 9.7, DOA3 got a 9.4, and nhl 2002 got a 9. yes, GCN also has good games but all these people sayignt hat its so much better than xbox is just going too far. i have 6 games for xbox so far and not one of them i am dissapointed in. theres going to be some awesome games comming out for xbox including max payne, whihc is supposed to be unbeleivable and YES!, tony hawk 3 IS comming out for xbox. you really shouldnt not like a system because you dont like the company that makes it, you shouldnt like it because you dont think its a good system. i like nintendo but i dont like the system, the controllers are too small (i have big hands, i can palm a basketball so the xbox controllers arent too big), i really dont like the colors, and it just doesnt look like strong built system. as for the disks, they are too small, they cant play dvd's and they can barely fit any room on it(there wont be one game that will need two disks for xbox). i think that nintendo screwed up with n64 and now IMO they arent on a good start with GCN. phew, i had to get that out!

It's glaringly obvious you have yet to play a GameCube game. You are basically saying you dislike a system based on the things you told GameCube fans NOT to dislike the Xbox for. You dislike a system because of it's color? I hate to tell you, but if you don't like the indigo GameCube there is also a black one just like your beloved Xbox. It doesn't look like a strong built system huh? First mistake is you used the word "looks" which means you most likely have not had any physical contact with the GCN. Second, why would a company build a cheap system. The GameCube is VERY durable and built to be moved around a lot, unlike the Xbox which takes two people to move. I actually think it may be more durable than the Xbox based on the fact that it is top loading like a CD player, so you don't have to worry about that pesky tray breaking. Now to the controllers. I also have massive hands (not only long fingers, but VERY wide palms), and the Xbox controller is still uncomfortable for me to hold. After about 30 min. my hands started to cramp up. The buttons use a very hard plastic which will give you a callouse after about an hour of play time. The buttons are also set up very awkwardly. Nintendo has made the most brilliant controller ever made. It is not too big, not too small. It contours to your hand perfectly and all of the buttons are distinguishable and easy to reach. The only problem I have is that the D-Pad is a little too small, but I never use it anyway so it really isn't that big of a deal. I can very well say that GCN games are better than Xbox's based on what I've played. I really don't care much about reviews and only view them as credible if I see more than 4 that are incredibly similar. Max Payne and Tony Hawk 3 are coming out for Xbox, but they are getting them eons after the original games came out. Max Payne has been out at least 6 months on the PC, and Tony Hawk 3 has been out almost 3 months now. It seems developers are running into bottlenecks porting games to the Xbox which means Xbox may get ports months after the original games came out just like the N64. Also these are games that are on other systems. Name one great first party game that has been announced for next year. I have yet to see one. Another problem I see with Xbox games is that most of the first party games will be ported to the PC. MS is taking their best title, Halo, and putting on the PC next year. WHY??? This is terrible business sense from MS and will definately reduce sales of Xboxes. Now to the discs. Yes they're small, but I wouldn't say they don't hold that much information. 1.5 giga bytes is plenty for games, and I would be surprised to see any games, no matter how long, exceed one disc. The load times are basically non-existant with the mini-DVDs, as apposed to the basic load times you've been getting from Xbox games. Nintendo did drop the ball somewhat with the N64, but they are on a masterfull start with the GameCube. Every developer that isn't being paid by MS has said that GCN is the easiest system to develope for, and is free of annoying bottlenecks. They made the machine for games and games only, so developers would have to worry about writing extra code to get around the DVD player or CD player. They will also lose much less money on the GCN than MS will with the Xbox (for those who don't know companies always lose money on the consoles, it's the software slaes that make up for the loss) because they used less beefier hardware, and excluded the uneeded extras (DVD player, ethernet adapter, etc.). I've actually read many places that Nintendo will break even on the GCN which means even more money from software. MS will not break even until at least 2004, and that is the best case senario. I wouldn't be surprised that if Xbox software sales go down, MS will abandon the Xbox similar to Sega with the Dreamcast and once again make only software. Of course, which system you like is all your opinion and yours only, but I think you should make friends with the one kid in your class with the GameCube and actually play the games and get experience with the system before you say you don't like it (of course you'll have to play with an open mind, which it seems may be a little hard for you based on your comments).

Raptor
12-19-2001, 03:07 PM
I have to disagree about the controllers. X Box's is undoubtably the worst controller ever, but I have a feeling Microsoft will soon release a better, smaller version. Look how many controller types PlayStation went through! I believe PS2's controllers are the absolute greatest controllers ever made. The layout is so simple, that I don't know why they didn't think of it before. On the other hand, GameCube's controllers are pretty awkward, too. They do feel small, and the button layout is just confusing. Also, at any minute, it feels like the GC's controller will snap in your hands. Microsoft and Nintendo really dropped the ball on their controllers, IMO.

V2kid62489
12-19-2001, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by RagingBull#1
actually nintendo is beating microsoft
and PS2 is beating them all my dad found an article that PS2 has had the most holiday sales word wide!

Tim
12-20-2001, 10:57 AM
On the subject of controllers:

I can't understand why people are saying the GameCube controller isn't intuitively layed out... the only inconvenient button placement is the Z button (and why they don't have one on the left side also) but it's still usable. The controller is a joy to handle and the only real problem I have is that my hands seem to sweat a lot when I use it for a long time (especially in Super Monkey Ball). I'm not sure exactly why that is, but it's something I've noticed.

As for the Dual Shock 2 for the PS2, the controllers are pretty nice. The analog sticks are the worst of any new system however, so it's a good thing that they're basically useless. The biggest problem I have with these controller is that after playing GT3 for several hours (and holding down X - gas) for a long time, my thumb starts to literally hurt. I've never had that problem with the GameCube controller, but my hands don't sweat at all with the Dual Shock 2.

Last and least, the Xbox controller. Horrible button placement. The top buttons on the right side and virtually impossible to press without moving your entire hand up the controller (which needless to say is a bad thing). The analog stick however is very nice. It's probably the best stick on any controller. The great analong control stick however does not make up for the other gaping problems with the controller. It is way too big. Is there a particular reason that there is a huge green circle in the middle of the controller? Without that un-needed space I might have been able to play a game for more than 15 minutes without my wrists and hands aching from the bad angles of the controller.

RagingBull#1
12-20-2001, 05:40 PM
exatly what i thought above, the GC controllers joystick is in the right place

pyro
12-22-2001, 03:55 PM
i think that PS2 has the best controllers, the only time my fingers were sore after playing was after playing Tekken TT for a long time, i'm sure the same thing would happen with any fighting game on any system.

my friend who has an xbox said he couldn't watch any dvds because it said he couldn't unless he bought the dvd remote. talk about a cheap way to make a buck.

Limacoasterboy
12-22-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Raptordude

Gamecube freaks? GAMECUBE FREAKS?! Yea we might like gamecube, and thats is exactly WHAT WE LIKE! The only thing i hate about Xbox is that it practically is a comp! It has all the same charectersitics of a good computer. This is what stops me from buying it! (well the games are "not my style" Aka.....suck...............) of course there are SOME good games. Just Microsoft trys to be in EVERYTHING! I dont think the will survive IMO. I think that Sony and Nintendo will go all the way with some help from Sega games. So microsoft, Stick with computers OK?

First off, a computer CAN have better preformance than what any system can. So why wouldn't you want one? X-Box costs $300. a PC costs $200+ for a good one that has better preformance than X-Box. Another thing, Sony made music stuff before they madE PS so they too also need to stick with what they started out with. As for the controlers, I love X-Box's. I find them to fit my hands realy good, way better than PS2 or GCN. I forget who said somthing about the more "childish" games on GCN and I'll have to agree with him. They do look like they are all carttons and that they are made for 7 year olds. They might be fun, but I have more fun with the more adult games on X-BoX and PS2. And all of their games seem like I have played them on N64, while most of them on X-Box I've never played before (not saying that they are all new for X-Box, but they new to me). Why would I want to pay $200 bucks plus $50 per game just to get better graphics on games that I all ready have. Now, if you look at those who like GCN, they had a N64. If you look at those who like PS2, they had a PS. If you look those who like X-Box, they proubly have had a PS or N64, but they can see past the disslike of Microsoft that was caused by the Anti-Trust lawsuit (that proubly only raise prices and create less inovations, but thats a differnt topic).

Aaron
12-25-2001, 06:56 PM
If you were to visit a store in my area, you would never see a Game Cube, but lots of X Boxes. The Game Cubes are snatched up the instant they're put on the shelves, but it takes a considerable amount of time for the X Boxes to be sold.

My opinion:
Personally, I believe that the Game Cube is better then the X Box. Like many of the others here, I agree that the Game Cube controller is easier to hold and has better button placement the the X Box. One of my friends said, "Microsoft should keep it's nose out of the game console business and stick with software." I don't entirely agree with that, but I do think Microsoft should have spent more time designing the X Box before releasing it.

coasterguy1
12-25-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Limacoasterboy

First off, a computer CAN have better preformance than what any system can. So why wouldn't you want one? X-Box costs $300. a PC costs $200+ for a good one that has better preformance than X-Box. Another thing, Sony made music stuff before they madE PS so they too also need to stick with what they started out with. As for the controlers, I love X-Box's. I find them to fit my hands realy good, way better than PS2 or GCN. I forget who said somthing about the more "childish" games on GCN and I'll have to agree with him. They do look like they are all carttons and that they are made for 7 year olds. They might be fun, but I have more fun with the more adult games on X-BoX and PS2. And all of their games seem like I have played them on N64, while most of them on X-Box I've never played before (not saying that they are all new for X-Box, but they new to me). Why would I want to pay $200 bucks plus $50 per game just to get better graphics on games that I all ready have. Now, if you look at those who like GCN, they had a N64. If you look at those who like PS2, they had a PS. If you look those who like X-Box, they proubly have had a PS or N64, but they can see past the disslike of Microsoft that was caused by the Anti-Trust lawsuit

Look buddy, have you read this thread at all? You think that Gamecube has "kiddie" games. I, and many others, think you are wrong. The Resident Evil series of games was not meant for kids. I think we can all agree to that. There at least 6 Resident Evil games coming out for Gamecube. Perfect Dark has blood splattered on walls after guards were shot in the head. What you are saying is, "A certain Gamecube game may be the funnest game in the world, and has received acclaim from all over, but since that game was rated E, it will never be fun to me. If there isnt blood and profanity every 5 seconds, why play it?" I know that isnt what you said, but someone could interpret it like that. I disagree with "If you look at those who like PS2, they had a PS." My friend has a PS2, but owned an N64 before the PS2, and I believe a Genesis before that. I had an N64 and now I have a Gamecube. I never followed the Anti-trust lawsuit. I didnt know about it until it was long over. I just knew that Microsoft never made hardware and shouldnt start now, and Nintendo started the buisness. I played Halo, it was a painful experience for my hands, and the trees looked like N64 trees. And, to finish off my post, you said, "As for the controlers, I love X-Box's. I find them to fit my hands realy good." It isnt really good, it is really well.

TXCoasterGuy1
12-26-2001, 01:23 PM
in console sales gamecube is far behind, but xbox had a bigger launch. i was watchin cnbc this morning ( i dont watch it i just flipped through it and they were talkin bout the console sales from nov11 to dec25)

it was like sony ps2 969,000
xbox 934,000
and gamecube 634,000

thats from memory correct me if im wrong

RagingBull#1
12-26-2001, 04:11 PM
well then cnbc is wrong b/c nintendo sold more than 800,000 in the first two weeks, and is probably over a million right now

Kyle L
12-28-2001, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by CedarFairMaster
If you were to visit a store in my area, you would never see a Game Cube, but lots of X Boxes. The Game Cubes are snatched up the instant they're put on the shelves, but it takes a considerable amount of time for the X Boxes to be sold.

My opinion:
Personally, I believe that the Game Cube is better then the X Box. Like many of the others here, I agree that the Game Cube controller is easier to hold and has better button placement the the X Box. One of my friends said, "Microsoft should keep it's nose out of the game console business and stick with software." I don't entirely agree with that, but I do think Microsoft should have spent more time designing the X Box before releasing it.

Funny Thing- In the back of the store at EB (video game store) they somtimes leave the backdoor open on busy days, well it was one of those days a while ago. I just peeped my head to see what was in stock. Of course I saw Some PS2's. But I heard they were sellin fast! And then I looked in further and saw a HUMUNGOUS tower of Xboxs back there. I started chuckling and then the managher came up to me and said: "yea theyve been hard to sell, but a couple people have bought some". And then I asked about Gamecube. "Are you kidding me, those things go faster than a 50 dollar bill on a city sidewalk!" So thats what I have to say thats all.

Limacoasterboy
12-28-2001, 07:46 PM

Look buddy, have you read this thread at all? You think that Gamecube has "kiddie" games. I, and many others, think you are wrong. The Resident Evil series of games was not meant for kids. I think we can all agree to that. There at least 6 Resident Evil games coming out for Gamecube. Perfect Dark has blood splattered on walls after guards were shot in the head. What you are saying is, "A certain Gamecube game may be the funnest game in the world, and has received acclaim from all over, but since that game was rated E, it will never be fun to me. If there isnt blood and profanity every 5 seconds, why play it?" I know that isnt what you said, but someone could interpret it like that. I disagree with "If you look at those who like PS2, they had a PS." My friend has a PS2, but owned an N64 before the PS2, and I believe a Genesis before that. I had an N64 and now I have a Gamecube. I never followed the Anti-trust lawsuit. I didnt know about it until it was long over. I just knew that Microsoft never made hardware and shouldnt start now, and Nintendo started the buisness. I played Halo, it was a painful experience for my hands, and the trees looked like N64 trees. And, to finish off my post, you said, "As for the controlers, I love X-Box's. I find them to fit my hands realy good." It isnt really good, it is really well.

Yes I read this whole thread and if you would actualy have read what I said, you would have relized that I never said that GCN didn't have any "adult games". Another way to interput what I said was that GCN has more games based for kids. I looked at the games for GCN today at the store and most of the games do look like they are made for 8 year olds. X-Box does have some ganes like those, but most of them are made for the older gameplayer. Halo, has realy good graphics, the trees look better than that on N64 (you proubly wern't playing on a good TV) and personaly don't see how it hurt your hands (I've played it for about 3 hours strat and I never once had proublems with my hands hurting, along with my brothers and dad). And what I was going (when I basicaly said people stick with the same system)was what everyone at my school has done. On the topic of whats selling, around Lima, you can't find any X-Boxes, while there are tons of game cubes (every store that sells them has at least 15). So it doesn't matter what its like where you live, you have to look bigger (i.e. the whole nation). Oh, sorry about my bad grammer... lol

coasterguy1
12-29-2001, 12:07 PM
Actually, you said the look like they are ALL cartoons. Rouge Leader doesnt look like a cartoon. Ok class, lets go see which adult games the Gamecube has.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Notice the word Sanity)

James Bond 007 in... Agent Under Fire (Guns, lots of guns)

Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (Fighting, even though I dont like this game)

Spy Hunter

Turok Evolution (play any of the turok's nad you'll understand)

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy

Rogue Spear

Mortal Kombat 5

Die Hard

BloodRayne

Duke Nukem Forever

Soul Calliber 2

Ill stop at that, but there are the Resident Evil's and Perfect Dark.
BTW, I was playing Halo on a Sony flat screen (not a plasma)
The controllers didnt hurt my hands, they were just very uncomfortable and I dislike them....alot. There arent any gmaecubes at the stores around here either. There are some Xbox systems, and occasionally you stumble upon a Gamecube. And about your grammar, you spelled it wrong. LoL

Gemini
12-31-2001, 06:09 PM
Around the Parkersburg, West Virginia area X-Boxes are selling better than the Gamecube. I have played both systems like many others in this area. I myself like the X-Box controller since it gives you a grip. I never did really like the PS/Ps2 controller but I got used to it. Alot of people I know have bought X-Boxes while a few have bought Gamecubes. I played Gamecube but the controller is just so small. I have small hands I think and the controller for the Gamecube is to small for me. Yes I agree X-Box controller has some issues but the Jappanese controller is more suitable for alot of you which will be released in 2002. Face it X-Box has Halo, Dead or Alive 3, WWF Raw is War (out in Feb 2002), Shenmue 2 (Fall 2002). Those games alone have attracted me to the X-Box. If you ever played Shenmue you know why you want to play the second one. To my friends I tell them get a PS2 if they want it for all age groups. Gamecube is 9th grade and under, yes they have a couple older games but it doesn't cut it. X-Box is for the hardcore gamer. If you have a broadband then X-Box is there for you. I love X-Box since I don't have to buy the memory cards anymore. It's my oppinion so don't get mad but around here people like lots of blood and fighting in their games. The choices you have are PS2 or X-Box. In Holiday sales X-Box did sell more than Gamecube. Still PS2 is on top. But it is going to be a good race later I think between teh X-Box and the PS2. Don't argue just take it and leave it. We are all entitled to our own thoughts about the subject. If you have a problem with it deal with it.

coasterguy1
12-31-2001, 07:04 PM
where did you get the information that Xbox sold more during the holiday season? is it on the internet? then maybe we could have some proof. And, you saay the Gamecube controller is too small. PS2s controllers are smaller!! Have you noticed that?! I have a PS2, and both the feel and the look prove that PS2 has a smaller controller. And a hardcore gamer means they buy alot of systems and alot of games, not that they like shooting and fighting games. Hardcore gamers probably bought a Gamecube becuase Nintendo has proven itself time and again. And 20 Announced mature games is plenty, and notice the word "announced." That means that there could be more and there are even some that are announced that i havent counted. And there are some less mature games that almost everyone likes. Do the names "Mario" and "Sonic" ring a bell?

dlj2stay
01-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Gemini
Around the Parkersburg, West Virginia area X-Boxes are selling better than the Gamecube. I have played both systems like many others in this area. I myself like the X-Box controller since it gives you a grip. I never did really like the PS/Ps2 controller but I got used to it. Alot of people I know have bought X-Boxes while a few have bought Gamecubes. I played Gamecube but the controller is just so small. I have small hands I think and the controller for the Gamecube is to small for me. Yes I agree X-Box controller has some issues but the Jappanese controller is more suitable for alot of you which will be released in 2002. Face it X-Box has Halo, Dead or Alive 3, WWF Raw is War (out in Feb 2002), Shenmue 2 (Fall 2002). Those games alone have attracted me to the X-Box. If you ever played Shenmue you know why you want to play the second one. To my friends I tell them get a PS2 if they want it for all age groups. Gamecube is 9th grade and under, yes they have a couple older games but it doesn't cut it. X-Box is for the hardcore gamer. If you have a broadband then X-Box is there for you. I love X-Box since I don't have to buy the memory cards anymore. It's my oppinion so don't get mad but around here people like lots of blood and fighting in their games. The choices you have are PS2 or X-Box. In Holiday sales X-Box did sell more than Gamecube. Still PS2 is on top. But it is going to be a good race later I think between teh X-Box and the PS2. Don't argue just take it and leave it. We are all entitled to our own thoughts about the subject. If you have a problem with it deal with it.

WOW!! Well out here in Los Angeles (the 2nd largest city in the country), California (the 2nd largest state in the country), GameCubes are selling better than X-Boxes. Now, what does that say? Nothing really. It simply shows that GameCubes are selling better in this particular area and sales will differ from area to area. As far as controllers, I still love the SNES controller. For the next-gen systems, I prefer PS1/PS2 and GCN controllers. I have very large hands and I find these controllers to fit perfectly while the X-Box controller is rather large. Controllers play an important part with the games and while the X-Box controller may do the job, the buttons are set up too close together. Anyway, I've played all the systems and like a little something about each of them. Yet, I like very few things about the X-Box, but one thing I like is Halo which I think is a great game. Sure, it has all those other games you've named and more, but obviously, you don't realize GameCube will be surrounded with new games as well. GameCube is for more than just those 9th grade and under, and games are not all about blood and fighting. Those who play games with blood and fighting are not hardcore gamers. A hardcore gamer is one who's familiar with more than one type of game, games from different genres. It's a person who's played games extensively from different genres. Games are meant to be fun and with many of the GameCube games, there is a high fun factor. I have a GameCube and games like Super Smash Bros. Melee (IMO the best fighting game of this year), Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, The Resident Evil Series (0,1,2,3,4, Code Veronica), Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Perfect Dark Zero, and Metroid Prime attracted me to it. Now, if you want blood, eight of these games have blood and if you want fighting, all of them have fighting of some sort. Now, you didn't want anybody to argue, so don't view this as an argument, but rather my opinion like what you said was your opinion. Thus, IMO the war will be heated and things will be more clear next year when more games come out, but I think the battle will be between Sony and Nintendo once again with Microsoft trailing behind. Sony is already a year ahead and Nintendo has classics like Mario and Zelda, so IMO Microsoft will have to keep things coming to keep up which I'm sure they will manage to do somehow. Happy New Year and here's looking to 2002 for huge videogame releases and other things as well.

RagingBull#1
01-01-2002, 02:30 AM
It sounds like west virginia is a little off from the rest of the country b/c everywhere else the gamecubes are selling a lot faster. and the x box controller giving a good grip? yea the grip of death! i feel like i am holding my math book

Gemini
01-01-2002, 12:59 PM
*Ok I am going to post this whole thing that I found on the web about the sales of Gamecube and X-Box. These figures might suprise you but go ahead and read them. I found them quite interesting myself. It seems both systems are selling about the same number at the current moment. I couldn't put it in HTML so I'll just post it in normal text. These boards have a limit on the number of characters/words.*

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Bragging rights for top spot in the $20 billion video game business mean a lot, but it's getting harder to tell who has the right to brag.

Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co. Ltd. are both claiming that their heavily hyped game console launches last month were the most successful in the industry's short history.

But whether Microsoft's Xbox is outselling Nintendo's GameCube, or vice versa, depends on who you ask, analysts say, and in the end it may not even matter, since both are still jostling for second-place behind Sony Corp. and its market-leading PlayStation 2.

Microsoft's Xbox launched on November 15 and Nintendo's GameCube launched on November 18 and the only thing that the two rivals have agreed on since is that both game machines are selling as well as anyone expected.

Nintendo fired the first shot on Tuesday, claiming that it was outselling Microsoft. The company said it had sold 600,000 GameCubes within 15 days of launch, based on retail data.

"In short, although launching at retail three days following the Microsoft (Xbox), it seems apparent that we have sold through to consumers more game consoles than they have even been able to deliver to retail outlets," said Peter Main, executive vice president for sales and marketing with Nintendo of America.

But in its own release Tuesday, Microsoft staked its claim to the same title, calling the Xbox, "the best-selling video game console launch on record after two weeks of sales."

Microsoft, which has steadfastly refused to say how many consoles it has sold or even shipped, cited data from the market research firm NPD showing that more games were being sold with each Xbox than for competing consoles.

The so-called tie ratio for the Xbox was 2.4 games per machine, compared with 1.9 for the GameCube and PlayStation 2 at its November 2000 launch, Microsoft said.

When asked, a Microsoft spokesman declined to say that it had sold more of the Xbox units than Nintendo's 600,000 GameCube units, the number on which the Japanese company based its claim of victory.

"We can't comment specifically on what numbers Nintendo is using," said James Bernard, a spokesman for Microsoft.

Eilene Haase, the director of toys and video game research at NPD said it has not released any sales totals yet, and the company, which provides the most widely watched industry data, said it cannot say yet which machine has sold better.

Nintendo, meanwhile, has already discounted the NPD figures, which exclude sales at Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, the biggest U.S. outlet for the GameCube.

Based on his own analysis of NPD data, Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Heath Terry estimated Monday that Microsoft had sold 556,000 Xboxes by November 24, while Nintendo sold 469,000 GameCubes in the same period.

"Both of them are selling just about anything that goes into the channel," said Mike Wallace, an analyst at UBS Warburg. "Who sells more in a particular week is pretty much irrelevant."

Sales drive industry growth
Sony's $299 PlayStation 2, which built a North American installed base of over 5 million units within a year of its November 2000 launch is projected to remain the dominant console the next year, if not longer.

The $299 Xbox is Microsoft's first entry into the video game hardware market, while the $199 GameCube marks Nintendo's fourth new console in 16 years.

Anticipation for the two powerful consoles has been so strong that the shares of most major U.S. video game publishers have risen sharply this year, in some cases more than doubling.

Nintendo says it shipped 740,000 GameCubes for its launch, while Microsoft has refused to release its own number, estimated by analysts to be somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000.

The number Microsoft is stressing is its calendar year-end target of 1.5 million Xboxes shipped, a number they are now expected to meet. Nintendo recently raised its year-end target by 200,000 to 1.3 million.

On Tuesday, specialty video game retailer Electronics Boutique said it expected sales for its fourth quarter, ending in January, to grow by 45 percent to 50 percent over the same period last year, on the back of strong console sales.

Copyright 2001 Reuters. All rights reserved.

*I hope this clears up some of the questions people have about the sales of these two systems.*

dlj2stay
01-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the article Gemini and it does answer some of the poeple's questions. As for sales of the systems, everyone buys a system for different reasons. My main reason for buying a videogame system is for the games and IMO it's the games that make the systems special. It's also the games that bring in the majority of money for each company. Yet, the more systems sold for a particular company allows for more games for that system to be sold. Anyway, since it's 2002, we could look forward to many videogame releases for each system, so sales of the systems will increase since more games will attract people to the systems.

coasterguy1
01-04-2002, 01:17 PM
I know this probably isnt the right thread for this to go in, but since it is an Xbox vs. Gamecube sort of thread, this was probably the best thread for the post. This doesnt really have anything to do with any of yall.

Anyways, this is a conversation I had with someone that goes to my school.

Him-Hi.

Him-You should get THPS3

Him-It is tight

Me-Ive played it, and I will probably get it on Gamecube.

Him-It is better on PS2

Him-They have that rumble thing goin' on.

Me-Gamecube has that too

Him-But Gamecube sucks, Xbox is better

Me-Really, and how is that?

Him-Gamecube is too boxy

Me-So is Xbox.

Me-Ever wonder why they call it Xbox

Him-Well, Gamecube looks gay in purple

Me-Buy it in black

Him-Forget you man

I just thought it was really funny. And, in the Feb. edition of EGM, they asked a kid why he got Xbox over gamecube. His response-
"Cuz its like 20 times better, and it has more gigabytes and stuff, and it has a Pentium 3, and all of that stuff." I thought that was funny also, considering that Xbox doesnt have 1 gigabyte. Well, there is my irelevent post, but i still thought that stiff was funny.

TXCoasterGuy1
01-04-2002, 01:51 PM
XBOX has an 8gig internal hard drive. im just makin a comment on the previous post.

coasterguy1
01-04-2002, 10:49 PM
oh, sorry. i misinterperted that. I guess I was thinking about GHz.

RagingBull#1
01-04-2002, 11:03 PM
the hard drive is great when you get it but when you get a mem card it is pointless. also the gekko inside the gc is 500mhz but runs faster than a 1ghz pentium, just a point

Kyle L
01-04-2002, 11:12 PM
Just in, On techTV, a recent report shows that sony is in the lead,but Xbox is trailing, and the gamecube is last. But this is all in sales, its wiered, ive never EVER come across a stroe that doesnt have Xbox's in stock

swOHman
01-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Raptordude
Just in, On techTV, a recent report shows that sony is in the lead,but Xbox is trailing, and the gamecube is last. But this is all in sales, its wiered, ive never EVER come across a stroe that doesnt have Xbox's in stock

This information is most likely taken from the same source that Microsoft is using to claim they have sold more Xboxes than GCNs. This report fails to include numbers from many retailers including Wal-Mart, the largest seller of Nintendo products. The truth is we don't know at this point who has sold more. Nintendo is the only company out of the two to release their official data, while Microsoft seems to be reluctant to release their own data and seem to want to use independent studies that don't include many stores. This really isn't the crucial time for the consoles though. The real test is keeping sales up between Christmas 2001 and Christmas 2002.

RagingBull#1
01-04-2002, 11:57 PM
well all i know is that microsoft is planning on buying take two, makers of gta3 and max payne, to make their games exclusive for x box. if bill doenst win he cheats

Gemini
01-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by RagingBull#1
well all i know is that microsoft is planning on buying take two, makers of gta3 and max payne, to make their games exclusive for x box. if bill doenst win he cheats

Sony buys 19% stake in Square
[10.09.01] All those rumors just became moot.

According to early morning reports coming out of Japan, Sony is in the final stages of securing a 19% interest in Square. With the software giant currently suffering under an enormous loss due to the financial disappointment of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Square will be selling 11.2 million shares of stock to Sony at a cost of 1,330 yen a share.

The 14.9 billion yen ($124 million) investment will make Sony the second largest shareholder in the company, second only to Square's founder. Sony's new stake in Square will undoubtedly have repercussions for the company's output and, at the very least, should assure that Square's marquee titles do indeed remain PlayStation exclusive.

Source Bloomberg

*I don't see it cheating for Microsoft to do that since Sony has already bought into Square. Yeah Square games could come out for other systems but now that Sony is the second largest share holder I doubt it somewhat. I would love to see GTA3 come over to X-Box and if Microsoft buys them out future GTA games would be exclusively for X-Box. Thats mean, I know, but remember Final Fantasy early on was out for SNES but later on it is exclusive for PS2*

coasterguy1
01-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Didnt Rockstar make GTA3 and Max Payne? And taking over programming companies is stupid. Every game from one company shouldnt be on the same system, unless
A) The programmer made the system, OR
B) The programmer chooses to put all of their games onto one system. It just seems wrong.

swOHman
01-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Didnt Rockstar make GTA3 and Max Payne? And taking over programming companies is stupid. Every game from one company shouldnt be on the same system, unless
A) The programmer made the system, OR
B) The programmer chooses to put all of their games onto one system. It just seems wrong.

Yes, Rockstar did develope the games, but Take Two was the publisher. This brings up the debate whether the publisher or developer should own the rights to a game license. Usually the publisher wins out, but when they bring in another developer to make the sequals they don't always turn out too great (the Twisted Metal series comes to mind). I've heard recently that Rockstar has shown some interest in the GameCube, but what that means at this time is unknown.