PDA

View Full Version : ThrillRide!s Gem - Weekly RCT Contest (Like Spotlight)

Brett Stevens
05-26-2001, 12:53 PM
We here at ThrillRide! are in the finalizing stages for a new contest that we will hold weekly. The rules have been administered and will go public as soon as we finalize them. The winner of the contest will be crowned ThrillRide!'s Gem, and will hold that title for one week until the next Gem is awarded. We hope you'll all enter and enjoy the contests. I just wanted to make everyone aware of the future of this forum, and since it wasn't growing as much as we'd hoped, we're starting this contest to hopefully expand this forum as a whole. The contest will hopefully begin within the next week or two. Thank you.
<BR>
<BR>_________________
<BR>•Brett Stevens
<BR>•ThrillRide! Forum Moderator
<BR>
<BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boardadmin on 2001-05-28 17:38 ]</font><BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boardadmin on 2001-07-14 16:34 ]</font>

Kraken
05-26-2001, 03:10 PM
So what do I do?

skatestreet
05-26-2001, 03:15 PM
They are gonna announce it.

Flix
05-26-2001, 06:41 PM
good good, but couldn't danimation sue?(joke)

Launched_2_40
05-27-2001, 04:12 AM
Hmmm... more and more hits for TR! I love this idea!

Danimator
05-27-2001, 03:51 PM
If you have to qualify your "GEM" as your say "like Danimation Spotlight" then its a rip off.
<BR>
<BR>I expect this kind of plagerism form children, not professionals.

alpengeistlover
05-27-2001, 04:00 PM
Sounds cool to me, cuz Im sure ID win!!! jk

DBCooper
05-27-2001, 04:04 PM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-05-27 15:51, Danimator wrote:
<BR>If you have to qualify your "GEM" as your say "like Danimation Spotlight" then its a rip off.
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Is the idea copyrighted? Is it trademarked? Even then, as long as the title and execution are different, it's perfectly legal.
<BR>
<BR>By the way, plagiarism is the <i>direct copying</i> of a work, whether the work is text, audio, video, or other medium. It does not apply to concepts, which cannot be exclusively owned. It only works for executions.
<BR>
<BR>So basically, in order to be a copyright or trademark violation, Danimation would have to prove that ThrillRide! used a mark or story that is substantially similar to Danimation's. To prove plagiarism, Danimation would have to prove that ThrillRide!'s execution is <i>exactly the same</i> as Danimation's.
<BR>
<BR>Not to stir anything up, but it would be as if Santa Claus Land in Indiana sued Disney for pirating the idea of a theme park.
<BR>
<BR>I say the idea for an RCT contest at ThrillRide! is a darn good one!

NITOR
05-27-2001, 09:40 PM
I'm getting confused.
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>We here at ThrillRide! are in the finalizing stages for a new contest that we will hold weekly, like Danimation's Spotlight. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>It will work pretty much like Danimation's Spotlight, but we will of course have our severe differences. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>This is not even NEAR plagarism, or like we're copying from Danimation. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Anybody else confused my this?
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

VTD
05-27-2001, 09:43 PM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-05-27 15:51, Danimator wrote:
<BR>If you have to qualify your "GEM" as your say "like Danimation Spotlight" then its a rip off.
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Dan, before you go on a power trip, read the sentence where he said "like danimation's spotlight."
<BR>
<BR>it said...
<BR>
<BR>"We here at ThrillRide! are in the finalizing stages for a new contest that we will hold weekly, like Danimation's Spotlight."
<BR>
<BR>all he did was say it was going to be weekly like yours, there is no plaigerism going on.

Alexandria
05-27-2001, 09:46 PM
Yawn..why can't sites come up with their own ideas...it gets old after a while.

Tyler Eaves
05-27-2001, 09:58 PM
The Thrillride competition is totally different. For one thing, the emphasis will be on REALISM, instead of a 'who can hex edit an SV4 file the best.' Although the rules have not totaly finalized, quite a few are basically set in stone, although they are subject to change apon final announcement.
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>-Trainers are ONLY allowed for specific functions--All Rides and Attractions, All Money, Fast Staff, and All Land. Rides cannot be hacked to change parameters or statistics, and all rides must be able to run.
<BR>-When a person submits a park, they have a possibility to win. Either way, if they win or don't win, they cannot resubmit the park for next week's contest or any future contest.
<BR>-There are NO recreations of real parks or real coasters (Unless they are real coasters that are cloned, like Batman: The Ride). Everything must be original.
<BR>-Paths should be single. This way, guests (which are required, because the park MUST be open) can walk around, as opposed to being lost on double-wide and triple-wide paths. However, if one chooses to double and triple-widen their paths, that's fine, but this will be held against them in the judging.
<BR>-Contestants are responsible for supplying their own workbench for the park.
<BR>-If a person wins on Danimation, or has won before, and tries to submit the winning park to us, they will be automatically disqualified. We suggest that you do not submit a park that's been out for awhile and people have seen, or one that you've already submitted for another contest.
<BR>-There will be 3 judges. For each contest, each judge picks the park they like the best, and then those 3 parks remain. From there, judges will take a vote on what park they think deserves the title of ThrillRide! Gem. In the second round of judging, the judge cannot pick the park they picked for the first round to win. This way, we will not come across a tiebreaker.
<BR>-The contest will be judged upon the following categories: scenery & themeing, ride looks and statistics, overall originality, realism, and overall appearance and effort.
<BR>-Parks submitted without a name will be automatically disqualified.
<BR>-Park ages cannot be rendered and reset. The park must be made within 15 RCT years, and cannot be set back.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

Brett Weissbart
05-27-2001, 10:05 PM
<BR>On 2001-05-27 21:46, Alexandria wrote:
<BR>Yawn..why can't sites come up with their own ideas...it gets old after a while.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Ouch!

Chris Wolf
05-27-2001, 10:06 PM
If the Danimation spotlight were actually updated weekly, then this might be an issue, but Dan and Alex have really let their site go, relying on their boards for content rather than actually updating, its good to see a contest like this come to ThrillRide! , which is a far more popular site, and a site that is actually updated.

Brett Weissbart
05-27-2001, 10:19 PM
Chris, I have to agree with you there. I really like the Danimation Spotlight, but it would be nice if they added a new one each week.

Danimator
05-27-2001, 10:32 PM
You people take things way to out of context. If I had more time the Spotlight would be updated more often. But why can't you come up with a contest that isn't "like the Spotlight" Sure we can't copyright an idea, but there is a common curtosy amongst professionals where you don't copy things that are on other sites. I strive for creating content that isn't like the stuff found everywhere else. Thats why Danimation rose form nothing to where it is now.
<BR>
<BR>I look forward to your contest.

VTD
05-27-2001, 10:39 PM
<BR>Dan, I supported you the entire way. Hell, I might have been the only one to pledge any money at all. And I say one thing, to stick for the group which is right, and you ban me. Well, ***** you!<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VTD on 2001-05-27 22:40 ]</font>

SC
05-27-2001, 10:50 PM
Only thing i can do is laugh. Dan, your acting like a child. You said how your site got popular, You mind telling me how your site got to what it is today?
<BR>
<BR>I know that: Lack of Updates
<BR>
<BR>You mind telling me why you are loseing almost all your hosts?
<BR>
<BR>I know that: Slow servers
<BR>
<BR>You mind telling me why we are all fighting over a weekly(monthly) contest?
<BR>
<BR>I know that too! You acting childish.

Jonathan Gelert
05-28-2001, 12:37 AM
I think he said "like Danimation's Spotlight" to provide some idea of how it might work. A weekly contest for great RCT parks, except this one strives more for realism than anything else. Anyway, get those parks ready. And we don't need any more arguing about Danimation.com. OK?

theriddler
05-28-2001, 01:08 AM
Dan, i had never been to danimation, and everyone was talkign about it , so i went. i was amazed at what pure bull***** it was. not only does it have CRAP, nada, zip, content, but even the boards are stupid. All your mods are incompetent dumba***s who ban people when they dont liek them. you have no rules, regulations, or morals, and your site is falling apart. i laughed when i saw thel ink to buy 'merchandise". Who would buy ***** from your site? nobody wants a dying site shirt. and even if Thrillride's GEM is similiar to the Spotlight, I hope everyone lieks the GEM better cuz u dont update the spotligth at all. <BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan Gelert on 2001-05-29 01:05 ]</font>

theriddler
05-28-2001, 01:08 AM
Dan, i had never been to danimation, and everyone was talkign about it , so i went. i was amazed at what pure bull***** it was. not only does it have CRAP, nada, zip, content, but even the boards are stupid. All your mods are incompetent dumbasses who ban people when they dont liek them. you have no rules, regulations, or morals, and your site is falling apart. i laughed when i saw thel ink to buy 'merchandise". Who would buy ***** from your site? nobody wants a dying site shirt. and even if Thrillride's GEM is similiar to the Spotlight, I hope everyone lieks the GEM better cuz u dont update the spotligth at all. BURN

Mike Robbins
05-28-2001, 02:38 AM
<BR>On 2001-05-28 01:08, theriddler wrote:
<BR>All your mods are incompetent dumbasses who ban people when they dont liek</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>I don't consider myself a dumbass.

Mike Robbins
05-28-2001, 02:42 AM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>-Park ages cannot be rendered and reset. The park must be made within 15 RCT years, and cannot be set back.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>Why? All of my parks take over 30 years to make. So if it is a good park, it will loose? I would much rather submit my park to Danimation for Spotlight. I think they have a lot better quality there for parks.

Tyler Eaves
05-28-2001, 06:53 AM
Aaah whoops....
<BR>
<BR>We took that rule out sorry....
<BR>

Flix
05-28-2001, 07:27 AM
the rules seem to be VERY strict...i mean, it has to one wide paths?hmmmm...no real parks! woahhh duDe, some recreations are wicked!
<BR>every ride has to open?what about the rides that are used for scernery?
<BR>i have noticed that something...Danimator has only posted twice in this forum!and smae with alexandria...do we have any proof that these peeps are really dan and alex?i don't think so...so stop getting on your high horse...
<BR>
<BR>on another note, danimation need to make the servers faster...

NITOR
05-28-2001, 08:37 AM
theriddler, It was nice knowing you. I think I'll put on my flameproof vest now.

Matt M
05-28-2001, 09:36 AM
Yahoo!

Chris Wolf
05-28-2001, 10:33 AM
Back on topic, I do think the rules are a bit strict, I personally make extremely realistic parks (3 time "Danimation Spotlight" winner) , however I dislike single-wide paths as I think they look ugly and I believe wider paths give the park a cleaner and spacious feeling, on that note, I dont think I'll be submitting anything to the ThrilRide! Gem.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Wolf on 2001-05-28 10:35 ]</font>

SC
05-28-2001, 01:22 PM
Danim8tion: I used to respect ThrillRide sooo much. Now its right up there with Coaster-network and atomic on-line. Loser sites.
<BR>
<BR>Ugh! Forgot to add your site to the loser list BEEP<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SC on 2001-05-28 13:24 ]</font>

Mike Robbins
05-28-2001, 01:27 PM
<BR>On 2001-05-28 10:33, Chris Wolf wrote:
<BR>I personally make extremely realistic parks (3 time "Danimation Spotlight" winner<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Wolf on 2001-05-28 10:35 ]</font>
<BR>
<BR>Which ones?

Mike Robbins
05-28-2001, 01:29 PM
<BR>On 2001-05-28 07:27, Flix wrote:
<BR>on another note, danimation need to make the servers faster...
<BR>
<BR>If you haven't noticed, they are faster.

Brett Stevens
05-28-2001, 01:47 PM
This is really getting out of hand. I'm beginning to think it was a bad idea in the first place to make this contest. We'll see what happens though, as I still have a few more days to finalize the rules and regulations.
<BR>
<BR>Here's what I propose:
<BR>
<BR>IF you are NOT FOR ThrillRide's Gem, and you WILL NOT submit a park or be a supporter of the contest, post back and say so.
<BR>
<BR>IF you ARE FOR ThrillRide's Gem, and you WILL eventually submit park(s) and be a supporter of the contest, post back and say so.
<BR>
<BR>This way, we'll see what kind of response a contest like this will get, and we'll see it's competitive potential.
<BR>

NITOR
05-28-2001, 03:39 PM
Not for it.
<BR>
<BR>BTW, Mike Robbins, SACoasterFreak made Legends, Silver Lake, and Crystal Horizons...all of which are realistic parks.
<BR>
<BR>*EDIT*
<BR>Forgot Lake Clair and Clockwork Dreams.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NITOR on 2001-05-28 15:47 ]</font>

SC
05-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Chris will hate me for this but, I need to show you all how childish Dan is.
<BR>
<BR>***Sorry had to remove this link. It was a private conversation.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boardadmin on 2001-05-29 09:55 ]</font>

SC
05-28-2001, 04:49 PM
Now tell me why you would vist a site where the webmaster asults his/her user? Its not right, and i think he should respect that the user that he asulted actually helped with the popularity of the site.

NITOR
05-28-2001, 04:55 PM
I hope you mods know that Danimator and Robert Coker are good friends. Ouch, that is gonna hurt.

SC
05-28-2001, 04:57 PM
Whats gonna hurt robert is this:
<BR>
<BR>Danim8tion: I used to respect ThrillRide sooo
<BR>much. Now its right up there with Coaster-network
<BR>and atomic on-line. Loser sites

Brett Stevens
05-28-2001, 05:00 PM
That has nothing to do with what just went on here. Dan verbally abused a teenager. That isn't right at all. Also, he's accusing us of plagiarism, which we are not doing. This contest is COMPLETELY different than Danimation's Spotlight, but I said it was "like Danimation's Spotlight" to give everyone the general idea. (A weekly RCT contest to declare ThrillRide's Gem for a week, until the next contest is over.) The rules for the contest, which barely exist on Danimation, are dramatically different here. Also, just to clarify things, the 15 year rule to build a park doesn't exist anymore. That was tossed out along with a few other rules that were brought up. Just wanted to clarify.

Rctman
05-28-2001, 05:00 PM
I'll submit one soon as I finish it. I just dont know how to send it

Flix
05-28-2001, 05:15 PM
look, what i meant by fast servers is i cannot connect at 9pm bst cos the americans are on(no offense)but, i do want to see a GEM, cos i only used danimation for the forums, but these ones are way better...what else has danimation got to offer bar the forums, which to me are slow.
<BR>
<BR>they don't have the reviews, previews or anything else.it has gone down hill, and unless they change, they are gonna pay for it.
<BR>
<BR>btw, i believe that conversation, if it happened, is a bit sketchy...lots of misunderstandings...don't quote from that.
<BR>
<BR>i'd love to see the gem
<BR>
<BR>_________________
<BR>Member Number 11
<BR>
<BR>If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flix on 2001-05-28 17:15 ]</font>

Mike Robbins
05-28-2001, 05:28 PM
<BR>On 2001-05-28 15:39, NITOR wrote:
<BR>Not for it.
<BR>
<BR>BTW, Mike Robbins, SACoasterFreak made Legends, Silver Lake, and Crystal Horizons...all of which are realistic parks.
<BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NITOR on 2001-05-28 15:47 ]</font>
<BR>
<BR>Oh OK. Legends is still my favorite Spotlight park. I just didn't know who did it exactly and he is using a different name for this forum.

ThrillNetwork
05-28-2001, 05:44 PM
I am overriding the moderators of this forum and have decided to lock it before it gets into more site bashing.