PDA

View Full Version : Paramounts Kings Dominion

satanhanx
05-03-2001, 09:10 PM
Although I think PKD has some really great coasters, they lack one thing. They fail to keep the park looking good season to season. For example...Paint, most of the buildings haven't been painted in years. The water around certain rides is disgusting. They just fail to keep the park looking as good as other parks.<BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boardadmin on 2001-07-14 16:17 ]</font>

TRDCDS1
05-04-2001, 06:46 AM
PKD looks nice, I think the problem is that every coaster is mediocre.HXLC barely makes it as a great coaster.(Because its short)

CoasterFreak
05-04-2001, 07:28 AM
I have been a PKD season pass holder for years, and I enjoy visiting many times throughout the year. I do have to admit, however, that the park does get a bit dirty sometimes, and the rides are a bit short and sometimes not quite up to par. But the Grizzly still stands as one of my favorite woodies and Volcano is still a blast! (pardon the pun)
<BR>
<BR>

Talon22
05-04-2001, 02:37 PM
I'm going to PKD for a high school band trip very soon. Of course I've heard of all the coasters there, but which ones are honestly the best. I know Volcano is first, and I can't pass up S+S Power's first coaster either. Is Grizzly good? It sounds good, but as you know, words can be deceiving.

Andrew W
05-04-2001, 03:05 PM
Grizzly's good, not great, but good. Lot's of airtime and really out of control. Avalanch is pretty dumb, but its a neat experiance if you've never been on a bobsleed coaster before. Hurler's pretty good and FOF is REALLY good now that they put in the lap bars.

BryanWood
05-04-2001, 03:22 PM
I'm going to PKD for the first time this year. What are the "don't miss" rides? Thanks!

coaster man098
05-04-2001, 03:23 PM
i personally thnk the parks coasters are very good. FoF, volcano, and hypersonic are all INCREDIBLE rides. hurler and grizzly are very good woods, and anacona and rebel ye both pass for half decent rides.

James
01-04-2002, 11:30 PM
i think that this is a great park that just lacks some good flat rides
;party;

Jokercoaster
01-04-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by BryanWood
I'm going to PKD for the first time this year. What are the "don't miss" rides? Thanks! Well Volcano, Hypersonic, FOF with lap bars, Hurler, the view on the Eiffel Tower and Anaconda.

cedarpoint4ever
01-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by TRDCDS1
PKD looks nice, I think the problem is that every coaster is mediocre.HXLC barely makes it as a great coaster.(Because its short)

correct!! XLC is a good coaster at best. my swim team goes there every year and its fun but the coasters dont compare to SFA's and BGW's coasters. grizzly is my favorite woodie though:D

rocketman23
01-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Don't miss: Hypersonic, Volcano, FoF, Grizzly, Anaconda, and Shockwave in that order. As for the park being dirty, I think it is not that bad. I have seen dirtier, I have seen cleaner. I bet it would be much dirtier if this was a Six Flags park though.

CoasterFreakMan
01-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Yeah, the park does seem to get dirty, but I fine it dirtiest later in the season. Don't know why! :)

But the best coasters there definitely are Hypersonic, Volcano, and FOF. Also, the Grizzly is a must ride as is Shockwave ( HAHA just kidding! :))

RaptorXLC
01-05-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Jokercoaster
Well Volcano, Hypersonic, FOF with lap bars, Hurler, the view on the Eiffel Tower and Anaconda.

Don't forget Grizzly and Rebel Yell(backwards).

ghostofthealps
01-05-2002, 06:32 PM
They're all good. (At least all the ones I've ridden :) )

FoF is almost surreally different with lap bars, and most defintely my favorite for this park. Rebel Yell is a fun wooden coaster with some decent airtime, backwards is fun but I prefer forwards. Volcano is a fun inverted, plenty of speed and of course the interesting vertical blast out of the top. Hypersonic XLC has always been hard for me to descirbe, in the time before, during, and for a while after the ride I thought it was the absolute greatest thing on Earth, later in the day I'd look at the unusually shaped hill and feel somewhat cheated for such a short ride. It's great though, don't pass up a ride on it. Grizzly was fun but somewhat rough when last I rode it but it was a weird day, very rainy and cooler than normal. Don't pass the Scooby Doo Ghoster Coaster up either, I doubt the line will be long and it's a a fun ride. I didn't ride either of the simulator rides in the Action FX theatre last year so I can't tell you about those.

Those are all the rides I've ridden there.

Have a great time! I go once a year with my youth group but we always have to go on some sort of special day for church groups so it can be crowded. :(

speedfreak
01-05-2002, 08:33 PM
PKD is a decently clean park. But about the coasters, yes, they are all short, but most of them are great. The way I think about it, more coasters but shorter rides can be better than less coasters but longer rides, first off, lines arent that bad at PKD, so thats not an issue, second, instead of getting about 5 rides with 5 different sensations, you get 12 different coasters with 12 different sensations. Therefore, PKD has great coasters in my opinion.

Jokercoaster
01-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by RaptorXLC

Don't forget Grizzly and Rebel Yell(backwards). Lets not ride them. Those 2 were just painfully rough. And definatley something I would not ride again. I mean on the chain lift of grizzly we swayed from side to side.

Apollo's Chariot
01-05-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by BryanWood
I'm going to PKD for the first time this year. What are the "don't miss" rides? Thanks!
The don't miss rides are Hypersonic XLC
Volcano:The Blast Coaster and Flight Of Fear

BryanWood
01-07-2002, 01:25 PM
LOL, thanks for your suggestions, but if you look close, the date of my post is 5-4-01. I went to PKD in june, and I liked the park. The lines were long, but I expected that. Volcano and XLC blew me away. Anaconda was a solid steel coaster. Grizzly was fun, and so was Rebel Yell(backwards). The park lacks a drop tower and a really tall coaster. I might have to make a return visit in 2002, hopefully stopping at BGW as well.

BrooklynRider
01-08-2002, 11:45 AM
I went to PKD this past summer and ranked it pretty high as far as cleanliness, landscaping, and design went. I found the rides to be mediocre.

Volcano Blaster was down for repair all morning. I loved this ride, but felt it was too short and he queue too long.

Hypersonic XLC is an INTENSE and pretty terrifying ride. It is an extremely short ride, but I recommend it.

I thought that both Grizzly and Hurler were WAY TOO ROUGH and very overrated. I was disappointed in both.

On Anaconda I was pleasantly surprised to find it was not a headbanger - like SFGRAdv's GASM. I liked this ride - especially that it was built over a lake.

Avalanche, although not a "thrill" of a ride was good for variety. I recommend it.

Shockwave s*cked - plain and simple. This ride is ready to be sold for scrap. Ride it at your own risk.

Rebel Yell was an average ride, but I give it lower ratings than that due to the excruciatingly slow loading process - one train on each track and a LOOOONG wait at that. They need to add trains and train attendants. I actually got angry at the operators on this ride.

As I said, I thought it was a lovely park with average rides.

Anaconda
01-08-2002, 07:21 PM
When I went summer 2001, I found the fastpass or whatever for Volcano to be very good, I'm never waiting in that 2 1/2 hour line again. Though, I must say they need to run 2 trains on Rebel Yell Backwards, instead of just on Forwards. Hurler, though while rough it is a woodie and thats what woodies are supposed to be, rough, it does deliver plenty of airtime and plenty of re-rides. Grizzly, ok, this one is a little too rough for my taste so I recommend it be skipped if possible, and HXLC I didn't ride because I don't wanna wait 4 hours for 30 seconds or less. As for the waterpark, they need a Setpoint swing-thing or whatever like Carowinds has b/c I really didn't find it all too amazing. White Water Rapids, however, just happens to be the best water-raft ride I've ever ridden.
So, if anyone goes, here are my picks:
FoF (definite improvement without the head restraints)
Scrambler
Scooby Doo (Kiddie Coaster with GREAT air time, but if you're a big person, ride by yourself, there'll be more room that way)
Avalanche (Just for the experience of a bobsled, and of course fun)
White Water Canyon
Anaconda (Not quite as big of a headbanger as people say)
Volcano (only with fastpass, intense, but too short for 2 hours)
Rebel Yell, Backwards
Hurler (plus all the re-rides you can get)
Flying Eagles
Blue Ridge Tollway (nice, shady ride for after lunch)

S:ROSFNE
01-12-2002, 08:55 AM
its a nice park but no match for BGW

Rebel2000
01-12-2002, 09:46 AM
Shockwave and Anaconda just got paint jobs recently, but maybe some of their woodies need one. I really liked this park. The theming was better than most parks that I've been too, although the Grove theming is pretty ordinary. As for the coasters, Shockwave and Grizzly were pretty boring, but Volcano and XLC were excellent! The rest of the coasters were great, too.

Anaconda
01-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by S:ROSFNE
its a nice park but no match for BGW

I must agree with you, BGW is a lot better than PKD. PKD needs a B&M of some sort.