PDA

View Full Version : Where were you!!

TITAN GIRL
12-16-2001, 10:42 PM
I know most of you don't listen to country music but I thought that these words to this Alan Jackson song are very touching an wanted to share it with yall! It made me cry the first time I heard the words to this song!!So here are the words to it for those of you who have not heard it!!

WHERE WERE YOU
Alan Jackson

Where were you when the world stopped turnin'
on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children;
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Rising against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children
that lost their dear loved ones?
Did you pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
and sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer?
And look at yourself for what really matters?

(Chorus)
I'm just a singer of simple songs;
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference
in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is Love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?
Teaching a class full of innocent children;
Driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
in a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her?
Did you dust off that bible at home?

Did you open your eyes hope it never happened;
And close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages;
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow;
Go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers?
Stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?

(Chorus)
in Iraq and Iran

in Iraq and Iran

Where were you when the world stopped turnin'
that September day?

Cuddy
12-17-2001, 05:08 AM
Where was I? I was at work, just got off my first break when I heard about a plane crashing into the WTC. I blew it off as some little Piper Cherokee plane and continued on working. I talked a couple minutes later to a coworker--saying if it was a larger plane, if we would be talking about this like JFK or Challenger. Lunch came at 11 and they had the TV on in the meeting room. I literally lost my appetite at what I witnessed as one of the WTC crumbled. I watched coverage that day and on Wednesday as well. I will never forget where I was when terrorists crahed to jumo jets into the WTC.

Steve Batchelor
12-17-2001, 05:32 AM
I was at work in London when we heard there had been a plane crash. At first we all thought it was a light aircraft. We have a lot of American Ex-Pats working in our offices so I got a tv for them to watch, we turned on just as the second aircraft crashed. I remember going cold as you do when witnessing something monumentally horrible. I then had to attend a work interview which was awful under the circumstances.

I went to see my Mum who was openly crying having watched the towers collapsed. That night was dreadful, BBC World Service was on 24 hours and I really thought that an enormous conflict was about to start.

It is a day I will never forget.

Jokercoaster
12-17-2001, 03:04 PM
I was going to 3rd period when the teacher turned on the TV

Marcus
12-17-2001, 04:45 PM
I was in fouth period and we had a TV but I guess our Science teacher thought that Biology was more important than the WTC collasping so my class didn get to see it.

Inferno
12-17-2001, 05:13 PM
I was sitting in school in Arts Awareness, rady to fall asleep just like every other day in that class. Our Principal came over the P.A. and said that a plane had run into the WTC. I thought it was an accident and I didn't think too many people had died. Then our teacher turned on the T.V. and I realized what had happened. We watched T.V. in every other class that day.

Raptor
12-17-2001, 07:23 PM
I was in 2nd period at my high school - a study hall. Even though this all had been going on for a half hour, the word had been spread throughout the school to turn on CNN in every classroom. We did, and it was still before the second tower was hit. I didn't know what was going on, and I didn't think it was all that big of a deal until the 2nd tower was hit as well as the Pentagon. When the first tower colapsed, basically, I was like "hoolllly sh!t" and so was the rest of my class. We spent the rest of the day watching CNN, and seeing everything that happened. Undoubtably the weirdest and saddest day of my life.

Aaron
12-17-2001, 08:52 PM
I was in my pajamas, eating breakfast with my two sisters; my mom had left early for work, my dad was still sleeping. The phone rang, and my oldest sister answered it. My mom told her to turn on the T.V. My sister asked what channel and my mom said "Any channel.". My sister hung up the phone and told me to turn on the T.V. to any channel. I knew a major thing had to be going on, and so I turned to ABC. This was precisely 7 minutes before the first tower fell. I saw the smoke and the two towers and figured that a fire had broken out. A minute later, the anchorman confirmed that it was something much more evil. We stared in horror for several minute, then I raced upstairs to tell my dad. Just as we turned on the T.V. in my parents' room, I heard my sisters scream from downstairs. The first tower had just collapsed. Still in shock, my dad drove me to school. Every T.V. in the campus was turned to a news channel all day. In second period, my physics teacher just stared at the T.V. for a couple minutes, then broke down crying.

Cuddy
12-18-2001, 01:26 AM
My mom teaches at my former gradeschool. It was about 9am when they heard about the plane crash. She turned the TV on in the classroom and put off the lesson placs for the day. Around 1:00pm, the upperclassmen, so to speak--5th thru 8th grade classes--were taken to the church where the principal urged them not to tell the younger children of what happened, let the children's parents inform them. Many people where I worked were pissed because we were not aloowed to go home. Apparently they thought making bags were more important than seeing history unfold in the worst way.

CrystalKat
12-18-2001, 07:36 AM
I would have been "teaching a class full of innocent children" though at the ages of 16-17 they're hardly innocent. That's third period American History. I'm saddened to say that the majority of my students didn't care all that much -- there were no expressions of shock, etc. That seems very similar to the attitude around the entire school, not localized to my class. We watched it for a bit, but when it became social hour rather than watching history in the making I turned it off and continued with the lesson, though my mind was racing (my sister works very near to the Pentagon).

I always cry when I hear this song, and I think the most touching line in it (the one that starts the waterworks) is "Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke rising against that blue sky?" That whole day was absolutely surreal.

Incidentally, this song is scheduled to be released as a single on January 15th. I for one certainly will get my copy!

Andy Rathe
12-18-2001, 01:39 PM
I was in a Motel 6 in Denver. I woke up and put the TV on just after the second plane had hit. Myself and my brother hung around until the first tower collapsed, but then we set off for the Rockies as we were on holiday after all.

wahooskipper
12-18-2001, 02:33 PM
My wife called me at work and told me to turn on the tv. She had heard a place crashed into the one of the Towers. As I told my boss to turn on the tv my wife said, "Oh my God, another plane just hit...was that a rerun?" By the time we turned on the tv I knew we were under attack.

I was in 10th grade when the Challenger exploded. My aunt saw it happen b/c she lived near the Cape. That was a terrible day but Sept. 11th will burn deeper into my memory.

coastersrsweet
12-18-2001, 04:03 PM
Im in 7th grade and It wasent untill lunch time I found out, I thought it was nothing, but then ppl told me planes airline planes were crasing into things and the stupid thing is the teacher would not tell us JACK I HATED IT!!! I WANTED TO KNOW THE TRUTH. And not untikll I got home I knew....

Chip
12-18-2001, 07:18 PM
I was getting ready to leave for my 8:00 Spanish class when my roommate's stepdad called. I picked up and he asked if my roommate was awake. I told him he wasn't and he said, "It doesn't matter. Just turn on the TV to any channel. The twin towers have collapsed and the Pentagon's been attacked." He hung up the phone, I turned on the TV and nearly fell over. It was horrible! I went to my Spanish class but on the way, I started talking to a stranger asking him if it was all a dream. He told me it was true, but I knew it was. I was in shock hard-core.

MST3K_FREAK6666
12-18-2001, 07:27 PM
The teachers in my school choose not to tell us but we knew something was going on, our english teacher was practically crying, and it was at around 10;00 or so. It wasn't untill after school I found out.

FutureRCdesigner
12-18-2001, 08:21 PM
I just downloaded it. I was at School when it happened. two days before my birthday on that september day.

CPFan
12-18-2001, 09:52 PM
I was at school, watching the whole thing, I even saw live footage of the second plane hit, and both the towers fall down:(

Cuddy
12-19-2001, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Melissa
I would have been "teaching a class full of innocent children" though at the ages of 16-17 they're hardly innocent. That's third period American History. I'm saddened to say that the majority of my students didn't care all that much -- there were no expressions of shock, etc. That seems very similar to the attitude around the entire school, not localized to my class. We watched it for a bit, but when it became social hour rather than watching history in the making I turned it off and continued with the lesson, though my mind was racing (my sister works very near to the Pentagon).

I always cry when I hear this song, and I think the most touching line in it (the one that starts the waterworks) is "Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke rising against that blue sky?" That whole day was absolutely surreal.

Incidentally, this song is scheduled to be released as a single on January 15th. I for one certainly will get my copy!

You mention that the class saw the TV on and turned to social hour...you should have kept the TV on and just before the end of the day announce that there would be a quiz tomorrow on what they had just witnessed.

I think some places didn't want to add to the hysteria and let people leave, but I think schools should have shown it to Jr. High level and higher students. At the bar where usually the TVs were tuned to sports, they were all tuned to CNN, MSNBC and what not.

GeorgiaSchorcherfreak
12-25-2001, 09:15 PM
I was sitting in French class when the principal came on the intercom and said "Teachers there has been a bombing at the World Trade Center We need every teacher to turn their television on to a major network" and at first I expected something like 1993 such as a truck bomb but I expected no worse than Olklahama City. We would probably waste the first class and that was it. When I first saw the building smoking I thought they had placed a bomb up high in both buildings until they showed the second plane hitting the building. Shortly after they said there was a report of a fire at the pentagon. I remember it all to well. I remember going to Second block and the teacher turning on the television just as the second building collapsed. The newspaper printed an extra edition and the whole paper just about was about the attacks. The headlines for that day were originaly about the police man who was shot the week before being buried the day before. Instead the headline on the extra was "ATtacked at home". I think that no one will ever forget what they were doing when they found out about it.

whirl n hurl
12-28-2001, 12:14 AM
I was mowing the grass. My husband came flying outside and said planes were crashing all over the place. At the time, they weren't sure if the crashes were connected. Half an hour later when I finished the lawn and came inside, it was known that we were being attacked.

Hector
12-29-2001, 01:35 AM
The way I get up for school is on my TV there is a radio. When it went off the hostesses of the show were talking about a plan crash at the world trade center so I turned it to the tv and turned it to trusty 'ol MSNBC and just as I turned it the Second plane crashed. I was in udder horror as they replayed it several times. When I got to school, we went into one of the open classrooms (it was still before school) and saw the tower collapse. then later that day there was a bomb scare and we were sent home, it really sucked!

CoasterKid23
01-01-2002, 08:45 PM
I was heading to my 4th period computer class and my homeroom teacher had the TV on. The girls were n the classroom and I was just leaving as they said "Oh my God, the World Trade Center is on fire!" I dismissed it as a small accidental thing, knowing nothing about the planes and casually reported to my fellow classmates up in computer. The next period I returned to witness the Pentagon on fire and the collapse of the two towers. I was in shock. My teacher casually explained the situation and what little fact we had during that time. My school had an emergency prayer service held that afternoon (I go to a Catholic school)

KoasterKing
01-01-2002, 08:56 PM
i was in gym(first period) when it happened but i didnt hear about it untill my second period(band) when out band teacher explained everything that had happened.

Anaconda
01-20-2002, 03:46 PM
I was sitting in US/Va History class working on a project, when a student who I didn't consider as credible came in and told us, and
I didn't believe it at first (and this was after both towers had fallen) but then 2 more came in, followed by the AP History teacher, and we all went into the AP History room and listened to the radio, and that was followed by a chapel service (I go to a Christian school) and then I went to English where the English teacher had her TV on.

RiddRevenger
01-21-2002, 06:56 PM
I sleep with the tv on, and I woke up and five minute later saw the second plane crash. Weird..