PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Internet Working For XBOX!!

SFGadvKing
12-17-2001, 05:52 PM
i went to this site called gamespy.com and i downloaded this program where you make your own little LAN for the xbox and are able to play games online. the only online game i have is halo but its really cool playign against other people. there is a little slowdown in the gameplay but its pretty much smooth(even tho its not made for it). and for the other people that did not do this, they have to wait till this summer to get the internet working.

PS-this is my 1700th post!!

Tim
12-18-2001, 10:20 AM
There's a reason why Microsoft has not announced a working internet function for the Xbox. It's because..... it doesn't work well. The latency that must be built into a game such as Halo simply isn't there. It isn't meant to be played over a narrowband, or even a wide band internet connection. If you ever run into lag, a game designed to run over a net connection can handle it quite easily, but in Halo, because it was meant to be played on a local Xbox lan with 0 pings across the board, it will put you into some strange situtations as it "best guesses" its way through your lag. Yes, its a good hack, but no its not practical for the masses yet.

swOHman
12-18-2001, 03:43 PM
I think Microsoft may be putting too much stake into the world of on-line gaming. It is a concept that has still not really caught on, and may take a while for people to get used to. Many people won't want to pay extra money to play a game on-line after forking over 50 bucks for the game, and people may think twice about a game that you can only play on-line because of the extra charges. To many people's surprise on-line gaming for consoles was thought of well before the Dreamcast. Nintendo put a port at the bottom of the original Famicom (NES) that could have housed a modem, but Nintendo found that on-line gaming wasn't going to be profitable at the time. Same thing happened with the SNES and N64. Now with the GameCube they are still being hesitant because they still think it may take a while to catch on and become profitable (and believe me Heroshi Yamauchi has a 6th sense about what is going to catch on and become popular). I think the fact that MS is placing so much importance on on-line gaming for the Xbox may be its ultimate demise. They should concentrate on making great normal games, and then consider added some on-line capabilites, not concentrating on games that will only be on-line.

SFGadvKing
12-18-2001, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by swOHman
I think Microsoft may be putting too much stake into the world of on-line gaming. It is a concept that has still not really caught on, and may take a while for people to get used to. Many people won't want to pay extra money to play a game on-line after forking over 50 bucks for the game, and people may think twice about a game that you can only play on-line because of the extra charges. To many people's surprise on-line gaming for consoles was thought of well before the Dreamcast. Nintendo put a port at the bottom of the original Famicom (NES) that could have housed a modem, but Nintendo found that on-line gaming wasn't going to be profitable at the time. Same thing happened with the SNES and N64. Now with the GameCube they are still being hesitant because they still think it may take a while to catch on and become profitable (and believe me Heroshi Yamauchi has a 6th sense about what is going to catch on and become popular). I think the fact that MS is placing so much importance on on-line gaming for the Xbox may be its ultimate demise. They should concentrate on making great normal games, and then consider added some on-line capabilites, not concentrating on games that will only be on-line.

i dont think you know what your takling about. so far there are 3 games that use the internet right now, halo, tony hawk, and nascar. now out of those three, how many are just for the on-line play??? thats right absolutly none of them. no company will EVER make a game that is only for online play. and BTW, what are you talking about us paying extra for online play, its absolutly free.

swOHman
12-19-2001, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by SFGadvKing

i dont think you know what your takling about. so far there are 3 games that use the internet right now, halo, tony hawk, and nascar. now out of those three, how many are just for the on-line play??? thats right absolutly none of them. no company will EVER make a game that is only for online play. and BTW, what are you talking about us paying extra for online play, its absolutly free.

No, I don't think you know what you're talking about. I'm talking about future games, not ones out now. MS hasn't unveiled their on-line network yet, so there shouldn't be any games that are on-line. I really don't know where you've been if you don't know that there are on-line only games. Ever heard of Phantasy Star On-Line or Phantasy Star On-Line ver. 2? Have you heard that FFXI will be on-line only? There are going to be many games turning to the on-line only trend which worries me. Also, when MS officially unveils it's on-line network you will have to pay a monthly fee to play games on-line just like you have to pay every month to get on-line from your PC. Right now with the little hacker program some people are using it may be free, but come next year you will be paying every month to play on-line. Being informed does help when posting in forums.

Intamin42
12-29-2001, 08:48 PM
Speaking of Halo...
"Santa Claus" had a little mess up-I asked for xbox,extra controller, dv remot, simpsons rr, and NHL 2002. My brother asked for xbox, halo, & maddnen. We got all of the accessories but..
i got halo and my brother got madden. WHOOPS!

*LATER 12.25.01*
I got ....
SHREK :)
Mad Dash Racing :o BORING!

*12.26.01 9 (Wal*Mart)*
After my dad returned 3 of the 4 XBOXs he bought, I bought NHL 2002

*12.27.01 Best Buy*
I bought Simpsons RR and Big Momma's House
:) :)
and i lived happily eve after