PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VIII

Kyle L
01-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Anyone own this game, I did and it KICKS! One of my alltime favs, My favorite parts of the game was the beggining when you had to go beat the boss on the satallite, when you had to save the queen from beign assasinated, and the train uncupoling, and of course, the prison break. The most shocking moment when I felt rage was knowing the blonde guy (squalls enemy) was helping the evil queen (help me out with names havent playes in a while) and of course when the fake president turns into like a impossible boss on the train. What do you guys think?

swOHman
01-06-2002, 06:26 PM
I don't actually own the game, but last year I borrowed my friends Playstation and this game and played it through 3 times. It ranks as my third favorite game of all time and my favorite overall turn-based RPG. The thing I like about it the most was that it was so different from many RPGs. The story focused more on the characters than it did an overall plot. The battle system was fun to use, and the junctioning system added a different element of strategy. It took away the importance of leveling up, and added more importance on finding strong magic in large quantities to bring your stats up. Some of my favorite parts were the FMV when you rescue Rinoa in space along with the part where you're flying the Ragnorak home when Squall finally reveals his feelings for her. I also loved the part on the basketball court in Trabia Garden (It's been a while since I've plaed it so the name may be off) where they finally realize who each other was and who Edea was. My favorite bosses were probably Sorceress Adel who took me about 2 weeks to beat, and the boss at the military base where you had to beat him in a certain amount of time. I loved getting new GF (summons), and when I beat them I felt like I accomplished something. Beating Cactuar and Tiamat where very difficult, and beating Ultima Weapon to get Eden was also very difficult (getting to him was even harder though). The puzzles in Sorceress Ultimacia's castle were brilliant, but I thought she was a little too easy to beat. I loved the card game. I couldn't wait to get to a new city so I could find new players to play and new cards to get. I became a master of the game by the third time through the game and ended up with every card. My friends 4th disc was scratched so I never got to see the ending, so if any could explain it it would be great (I've seen up to the part were Squall is on the rock and the feather starts falling towards him). I really can't say enough about this game, but I do have to stop somewhere.

swOHman
01-06-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Raptordude
Anyone own this game, I did and it KICKS! One of my alltime favs, My favorite parts of the game was the beggining when you had to go beat the boss on the satallite, when you had to save the queen from beign assasinated, and the train uncupoling, and of course, the prison break. The most shocking moment when I felt rage was knowing the blonde guy (squalls enemy) was helping the evil queen (help me out with names havent playes in a while) and of course when the fake president turns into like a impossible boss on the train. What do you guys think?

If I remember correctly you were actually TRYING to assasinate Edea, but Irvin choked so you ended up having to fight her yourself (end of the first disc). I don't remember any other time an assasination was mentioned, but it's been a year so maybe I've forgotten something. Siefer seemed suspicious to me from the opening FMV, so I wasn't too surprised when he revealed that he was helping Sorceress Edea (well really Ultimacia).

phantompenguin
01-08-2002, 12:10 AM
I do and I hate it

way too easy, crap story

no thanks, I'll stick to Grandia

Andy Hodgson
01-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by swOHman
I don't actually own the game, but last year I borrowed my friends Playstation and this game and played it through 3 times. It ranks as my third favorite game of all time and my favorite overall turn-based RPG. The thing I like about it the most was that it was so different from many RPGs. The story focused more on the characters than it did an overall plot. The battle system was fun to use, and the junctioning system added a different element of strategy. It took away the importance of leveling up, and added more importance on finding strong magic in large quantities to bring your stats up. Some of my favorite parts were the FMV when you rescue Rinoa in space along with the part where you're flying the Ragnorak home when Squall finally reveals his feelings for her. I also loved the part on the basketball court in Trabia Garden (It's been a while since I've plaed it so the name may be off) where they finally realize who each other was and who Edea was. My favorite bosses were probably Sorceress Adel who took me about 2 weeks to beat, and the boss at the military base where you had to beat him in a certain amount of time. I loved getting new GF (summons), and when I beat them I felt like I accomplished something. Beating Cactuar and Tiamat where very difficult, and beating Ultima Weapon to get Eden was also very difficult (getting to him was even harder though). The puzzles in Sorceress Ultimacia's castle were brilliant, but I thought she was a little too easy to beat. I loved the card game. I couldn't wait to get to a new city so I could find new players to play and new cards to get. I became a master of the game by the third time through the game and ended up with every card. My friends 4th disc was scratched so I never got to see the ending, so if any could explain it it would be great (I've seen up to the part were Squall is on the rock and the feather starts falling towards him). I really can't say enough about this game, but I do have to stop somewhere.

Wow, I was about to write something exactly like yours, but, to save my fingers the trouble, I will just quote yours. I must say that this is definitely deserving of my #2 all-time favorite games list. It was #1, but then another Final Fantasy recently came along and totally replaced all games by a mile! Final Fantasy X! :) Also, just to make sure that I'm not some weird RPG lover, HALO is my 3rd fav. all-time as of now.

DrachenFire96
01-08-2002, 06:56 PM
I own it, of course. The only reason I bought a PSX was because the FF series went to it and not Nintendo 64. I guess I lucked out in PSX having a killer line up of RPGs because they are my fav.

Personal opinions of FFVIII:

Great story...game play was mediocre though because the story line was so predominant. It seemed to be more story than playing-similar to the 2nd disc of Xenogears. I thought Xenogears would be my all time fav RPG till I got to the second disc, sitting there reading a novel and playing once every hour for like ten minutes.

Ending for FFVIII was absolutely incredible, truly the best part of the game.

I also enjoyed the card game in FFVIII a lot better than the one in FFIX simply because of upgrading weapons and getting cool items.

Overall, FFVIII ranks rather low with me as of late.
My RPG top 10

1) FFVII
2) Breath of Fire III
3) FFIX
4) Wild Arms (gotta love the original!!)
5) Final Fantasy Tactics
6) Legend of Dragoon
*************7) FVIII**************
8) BOFIV
9) FFV
10) FFVI

I've bought FFX but haven't had the time to play it yet with everything going on, heck I am barely posting here anymore. It'll most likely bump everything down a notch from what I've heard and seen.

phantompenguin
01-09-2002, 11:55 AM
I'd love to know what the story is because I played FFVIII twice looking for a story and I still haven't found one

DrachenFire96
01-09-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by phantompenguin
I'd love to know what the story is because I played FFVIII twice looking for a story and I still haven't found one

The story (in a nutshell)

Squall and his group are Mercenaries trained for special military assignments, to be lent out to countries that require their assistance. To this end they are sent on a few missions under SEED as required per contracts. One of his groups missions was to "assist" a rogue group inside a country, and this group is headed by Squall's future love interest. While on assignment, with her, they discover that a Sorceress has been behind all this and at this time Siefer goes to her side. Then Squall's group is later reassigned to assassinate the Sorcoress.....blah blah blah blah...as the story progresses, SEED is eventually torn apart, his group is on their own to stop the Sorceress, Squall falls in love with that chick who turns out to be a Sorceress herself...and yadda yadda yadda....you end up having the Sorceress battle at the end.

The tricky part with the story line is obviously the "flashback" portions to Laguna and his band, which was explained thoroughly in disc 3.

The story is rather complex, as most FF games are, but this one seemed the most complex, often confusing with the flashback scenes, storyline of any of the FF games in my opinion. The downfall, as I stated earlier, it was more storyline than gameplay.

Other notes:
I HATE the LONG LENGTH of the summoning monsters ESPECIALLY EDEN!!!!!! And the two weapon monsters are easy if you can get spells cast fast enough on your characters...the only agrivating thing is when trying to get that dag on EDEN card early on. That weapon is hard when you are at semi-low levels.

swOHman
01-11-2002, 12:14 AM
Yes, the summons were long, but it gave you time to boost their attacks. I had no idea you could boost your GF's attacks until about 3/4th through the game, but when I found out it helped tremendously. I really wouldn't pay attention to the summons anymore and focused on boosting their attack which was quite challenging. The only GF you could fully boost was Eden which is one reason why his animation is so long. I almost fully boosted Tiamat once but fell a little short. The story was quite complex, but it wasn't the overall plot that I liked, it was the little things like the love story between Rinoa and Squall, the rivalry of Squall and Siefer, and figuring out how the flashbacks would figure into the big picture. I also liked the plot twists. They really surprised me, and when I would look back at the beginning of the game I would think, "Wow, this game is so different now than it was when I started."