PDA

View Full Version : Who owns what?

CoasterCrazy
06-13-2002, 11:07 AM
At Paramount's Kings Island, Indiana Jones movies are advertised on Chili Vision while waiting in line. However, at Disney World, there is a ride based on Indiana Jones, and I believe it is called that as well. Who owns the rights to Indiana Jones?

Also at Paramount's Kings Island, there is a roller coaster named Scooby's Ghoster Coaster. There are also pictures of Scooby around Hanna Barbera Land (sp?) and Scooby souveniers you can by in the gift shops. There are also Scooby Doo rides at Warner Brother Movie World and I think at some Six Flags parks. Who owns the rights to Scooby Doo?

rocketman23
06-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Scooby-Doo is also at Universal. He seems to be everywhere...

Raging Rider
06-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Isn't Indiana Jones at DL, not WDW? Maybe because DL and PKI are in no competition, whoever owns the rights lets them both use it.

RaptorXLC
06-13-2002, 01:31 PM
There is no ride Indiana Jones at WDW but there is a show.

Inferno
06-13-2002, 04:12 PM
There are also Hanna Barbara characters at both PKI and USF.

CrystalKat
06-13-2002, 06:10 PM
It is a stunt show at MGM Studios (Disney World Florida) that has the Indiana Jones theme. The movies were done by Paramount (so far as I can tell), but they can independently license them out to different parks if they want to, it doesn't have to stick with one. That's up to the producer and all. Now, a park can try to buy the exclusive rights to it as well, it's all part of the deal.

flyer
06-13-2002, 08:58 PM
Scooby dolls are used as prizes at BGW, he really is everywhere.

Chip
06-13-2002, 09:17 PM
Wouldn't all that go back to Viacom? Viacom is one of the five largest companies in the United States. Viacom owns Paramount, MTV, CBS, and tons of other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney has a share in Viacom or Viacom has part of Disney or what. It's madness!

MST3K_FREAK6666
06-13-2002, 09:31 PM
There are like 5 BIG companies that basically own everything except totally indpendent things. I think Disney isn't part of Viacom, but I'm not sure. I know Disney also owns ABC and ABC Family, etc.

Viacom owns: MTV; Paramount; Nickelodeon; CBS/CBS Sports; Showtime; Blockbuster; UPN; KingWorld; BET; VH1; TNN; CMT; TVLand.

CrystalKat
06-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Disney is connected with go.com which also has parts of ESPN, ABC, Buena Vista, and Touchtone Pictures (off the top of my head...). As for games prizes, I'd bet that the license is to the manufacturer of the prizes, who can then sell them to different parks -- whoever wants to buy them.

condor27
06-17-2002, 02:11 PM
I think the company Hanna Barbara owns the copyright of all their creations (Scooby Doo, Flintstones). My guess is, they sold to both Universal and Kings Entertainment (before Paramount bought Kings).

As for Indy and Star Wars, the copyrights are owned by Lucas Film, which Lucas sold to Disney for amusement ride theming.

APJSFR1
06-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Cedar Point, Kennywood Entertainment Corp., and many other non-viacom parks have Scooby Doo, I just don't understand! It doesn't make any sense to me. It's like whatever.

mrk468zz
06-17-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by MST3K_FREAK6666
There are like 5 BIG companies that basically own everything except totally indpendent things. I think Disney isn't part of Viacom, but I'm not sure. I know Disney also owns ABC and ABC Family, etc.

Viacom owns: MTV; Paramount; Nickelodeon; CBS/CBS Sports; Showtime; Blockbuster; UPN; KingWorld; BET; VH1; TNN; CMT; TVLand.

Yup, you're on the right track. But Disney very much does NOT own a part of Viacom. Aside from Viacom and Disney, there's NewsCorp (all the FOXes, lots of cable companies, newspapers, etc...), AOL/Time-Warner (Turner--which includes CNN, TNT, TBS, etc...), General Electric. Sadly, we're heading toward a time when virtually all media will be owned/influenced by these five.

At any rate. Exclusivity agreements, while much more common than previous decades, are still fairly rare. As someone esle pointed out, the Indiana Jones rights are owned by Lucasfilm, who by my knowledge has no exclusivity rights with anyone in regards to their properties. But I could be wrong.

SFGadvKing
06-19-2002, 01:25 AM
there are mainly 3 groups. aol time-warner, viacom and disney. they own pretty much everything in the entertainment buisness. and it seems like aol time-warner owns mostly everything(even the atlanta braves!). as for the scooby dolls (they are all over six flags), do they say scooby do on them? because if it doesnt say it, and its only in the shape, i dont think it violates the copyright.

mrk468zz
06-19-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by SFGadvKing
there are mainly 3 groups. aol time-warner, viacom and disney. they own pretty much everything in the entertainment buisness. and it seems like aol time-warner owns mostly everything(even the atlanta braves!). as for the scooby dolls (they are all over six flags), do they say scooby do on them? because if it doesnt say it, and its only in the shape, i dont think it violates the copyright.

Don't forget about NewsCorp. They control alot of the worldwide media.

Andrew W
06-19-2002, 02:48 PM
Simple, Indiana Jones was a Paramount Picture's Film and thus the park has the rights to anything related to the film. Disney, being a mega $ corporation has the buying power to buy the permission to use the Indiana Jones related items, thus Disney prospers because they have a great theme for a ride/show, and Paramount wins because as long as Disney uses their character, they are getting paid royalities. It's similar to the case with Paramount using the Outer Limits TV show theme and name for Flight of Fear. Eventually, they figured out that the name wasn't doing anything for the ride, so they dropped the name.

mrk468zz
06-19-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by coasterlover
Simple, Indiana Jones was a Paramount Picture's Film and thus the park has the rights to anything related to the film. Disney, being a mega $ corporation has the buying power to buy the permission to use the Indiana Jones related items, thus Disney prospers because they have a great theme for a ride/show, and Paramount wins because as long as Disney uses their character, they are getting paid royalities.

Actually, Paramount was just the co-producer and the distributor of the Indiana Jones films. But Lucasfilm (and Speilberg, as well) actually own the rights to the Indiana Jones character. Paramount doesn't, and thus had to secure permission from Lucasfilm to use the character at their parks. So Paramount isn't getting any royalties at all from Disney's use of the character, because they don't have any claim to it. This is of course not true of all franchises, but when dealing with the obsessive Lucas and his people, rest assured control ultimately lies with Lucas (or in this case, Lucas and Speilberg).

coasterlove
06-20-2002, 12:49 AM
I thought I add a little more confusion to it, I saw SpiderMan shirts at SFGAm. But Universal's IOA has a SpiderMan attraction, also SF parks have DC comics, but SpiderMan is form Marvel comics I believe. WEIRD.