PDA

View Full Version : AOL's Top Ten Parks

wahooskipper
07-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Just food for thought. Here is the way AOL users ranked their Top Ten amusement parks. Remember, this is the General Public talking:

1. Astroland, Brooklyn (Apparently for the Cyclone only)
2. Busch Gardens Tampa
3. Cedar Point
4. Disneyland
5. Kennywood
6. Knott's Camp Snoopy
7. Magic Kingdom WDW
8. Paramount Carowinds
9. Santa Cruz Boardwalk
10.Six Flags Astroworld.

Some notable parks missing: IOA and Universal, Six Flags M.M., Kings Island.

BGT over Cedar Point? Knott's Camp Snoopy over the Magic Kingdom? Astroland over...everything?

Just thought you'd like to see the parks from the eyes of others.

Chris L
07-02-2002, 04:31 PM
Six Flags AstroWorld actually made the list? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is the funniest thing I've seen since my friend blew milk out of his nose ! HAHAHAHA :D :D

condor27
07-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Judging by the fact that AOL is the most expensive and worst ISP in America, it doesn't surprise me if AOL users make any 'rather unusual' (or shall I say stupid?) opinion.

The way life taught me is that, you don't pay for something that is both bad and expensive. If you fail to understand that, then ........ you know........

wahooskipper
07-02-2002, 04:52 PM
I once met this woman that was both bad and expensive, but that is a story for another day.

rocketman23
07-02-2002, 04:57 PM
What the hell kind of list is this??? This is absurd! Why Camp Snoopy??? BGT is not #2!!! Carowinds, Astroworld, Santa Cruz??? Crazy stuff here, I don't know what system they used, but it needs a little revision...

Chris L
07-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Well, because the votes come from AOL users, any certain area that has a greater concentration of AOL customers will get a higher vote percentage for the closest park to them. That's why you're getting the very akward list...

Matt M
07-02-2002, 05:49 PM
AOL sucks. I bet that this is probably being shown up on every AOL users screen on the planet and i bet they are listening to it:p :p :rolleyes:.

coasetrphil
07-02-2002, 05:57 PM
This shows how retarded aol users are.:D

SFGAdvGal
07-02-2002, 06:59 PM
The only Six Flags park to make the list was Astroworld? The drug rate must really be going up in this country...

jojo103081
07-02-2002, 08:10 PM
I am angry, IOA should be on there somewhere. Even BGT over IOA shocks me, what the heck!! BGT is a nice park, but doesn't compare with IOA. GRRR, darn it AOL, you screwed everything up...

Inferno
07-02-2002, 08:20 PM
That's crazy that Santa Cruz made it at all. They have a ferris wheel, a simulator, and a family Morgan coaster and that's all.

RiddRevenger
07-02-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Inferno
That's crazy that Santa Cruz made it at all. They have a ferris wheel, a simulator, and a family Morgan coaster and that's all.

You're thinking of Santa Monica. Santa Cruz is home to the Big Dipper and much, much more.

Bottom line? I'm not too bad that someone has an opinion of what the best park is that doesn't match my own. Big whoop...

alpie
07-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by jojo103081
I am angry, IOA should be on there somewhere. Even BGT over IOA shocks me, what the heck!! BGT is a nice park, but doesn't compare with IOA. GRRR, darn it AOL, you screwed everything up...

Please don't be angry, shocked or be uttering GRRRs - it's an AOL poll!

A funny poll to give AOL users would be "Who is your ISP?"

coasetrphil
07-02-2002, 08:44 PM
I usually wouldn't mine but these rankings are just horrible.

RaptorXLC
07-02-2002, 08:55 PM
Everyones forgetting BGW. IMO is the Superior BG park. Ans it is strange, because I thought that most of the GP really liked BGW. And If Six Flags AstroWorld made the list, where is:

SFGAdv, SFGAm, SFMM, SFNE, SFDL, SFWOA, SFA, SFMW, SFSt.L, SFOT, and SFFT

Also I didn't even think Knott's Camp Snoopy was it's own park. I thought it was just an area inside KBF.

And How did BGT get 2nd?
How did CP get 3rd?
How did Astroland get 1st?
How did Santa Cruz make it on the list?
How did IOA not make the list?
How did DL rank higher then WDW?
How did Carowinds make it on the list when PKI, PKD, and PGA not make it on the list?

This list is just so screwed up, you can't take it seriously.

may the FORCE be with you
07-02-2002, 09:12 PM
is Knott's camp snoopy the place in the mall?

I can't wait for Astroland's new advertising campaign..."Ranked NUMBER 1 in the whole world!!!!!!!!!!(in a recent online poll)!!!!!"

phantompenguin
07-02-2002, 09:13 PM
yet another reason to hate Ted Leonsis and AOL

Chris L
07-02-2002, 09:22 PM
Some of you guys really are just as confused as you say the AOL users are...

The poll means NOTHING.

Like I said before, parks closer to a greater percentage of AOL users will get more votes, crappy or not.

That's why the results turn up nothing like the ones we have involving "more knowledgeable" people (us enthusiasts).

Please, think people!

---

AOL sucks. I bet that this is probably being shown up on every AOL users screen on the planet and i bet they are listening to it .

Actually, it would kind of be impossible for AOL users to listen to words on a screen. :)

pyro
07-02-2002, 09:46 PM
i agree with kraxleridah, it just all has to do with which area has more aol users and i bet that most of the people that voted have only been to that one park and voted for it.

And hey, don't dis AOL users, i'm one.
Alright, i know its not the best but i'm not the one paying for it so i won't complain.

coasetrphil
07-02-2002, 09:51 PM
I'm just dissing the stupid ones that voted to make the list like it is. Even if it has to do with population how does astroland win.

Chris L
07-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Just because somebody that doesn't know much about amusement parks outside their area does not make them stupid. They voted for what they thought was the best, which is probably only what they've experienced. Not everybody in the nation can say they've been to Cedar Point or Magic Mountain.

Alex T
07-02-2002, 11:02 PM
Wow, good job aol users. No pki or SFMM, but yet astroland and astroworld are on there. Give me a break lol. That's one messed up poll lol.

crash
07-02-2002, 11:34 PM
cedar point being third angers me, normally on any sane person's top ten list it is #1.

Aaron
07-03-2002, 12:43 AM
Considering this is an AOL list, it doesn't surprise me at all.

birdie311
07-03-2002, 01:08 AM
That list sucks hardcore. No real words can exlplain how uterly retarded that list is. And to think that people are actually reading that list. *hangs head and shakes it side to side*

Chris L
07-03-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by crash
cedar point being third angers me, normally on any sane person's top ten list it is #1.

Any sane people would also have varying opinions.

NWcoaster-rider
07-03-2002, 03:01 AM
You know, when I first read this, I thought that maybe wahooskipper was having a bad day or was dyslexic or maybe had a recent labotamy. kraxle, you're right about the concentration of voters, but STILL. If you're talking about a concentration of voters in LA, they STILL should know about Knotts Berry Farm or Magic Mountain!!! There's no EXCUSE for that. There's an age limit on AOL and if there are THAT many people in LA who are over 13 going to KNott's Camp Snoopy, why then I'm wahooskipper's expensive bad girl!!! A concentration of voters in Florida wouldn't be voting Busch Gardens would they? Now with all the parks down there! That's ridiculous!!! I swear, the average IQ of a voter of this poll was hovering right about at the level of MAYONAISSE!!! (And that's my two cents :usa: )

wahooskipper
07-03-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by kraxleRIDAH
Not everybody in the nation can say they've been to Cedar Point or Magic Mountain.

Not only that; not everyone can say they have HEARD of Cedar Point or Magic Mountain. Down here in Florida I run into people all the time who have heard of neither park. When I tell people Magic Mountain is Wally's World then they have an idea but many, many people outside of enthusiasts have never heard of a majority of the nation's parks.

Kaotic
07-03-2002, 12:19 PM
Camp snoopy i believe is the small park inside The Mall of America in Minneapolis/st paul,

SFGadvKing
07-03-2002, 12:59 PM
hey, i use aol:mad: :mad: :mad: :sadface: :sadface: :sadface: well anyways, since new york city is the biggest city in the country, all the people from nyc will vote for astroland. i cant see how people actually voted for camp snoopy, is that even a park? thats the gp for you

Brandon Baker
07-03-2002, 01:00 PM
The most amazing thing is that there is only 1 Six Flags park on the list...and thoughover by some to be the worst.

Raging Rider
07-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Obviously not enough of us voted :D. Anyway, some there do deserve to be on the top 10, WDW-MK, CP, KW, BGT, and DL, but the rest really aren't that great, especially Camp Snoopy. This polll doesn't matter and who cares anyway, it'll convince more people to visit Camp Snoopy and the Mall of America while we're out at SFMM, BGW, PKI, and the other great parks having fun while the Mall of America is packed.

condor27
07-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Polls that are more scientifically conducted on coaster freaks like us normally would put CP, IOA and BGW at the top, and ocassionally SFMM, PKI and BGT. Knoebels also ranked pretty well in small parks.

wahooskipper
07-03-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you there. Does the roller coaster define the theme/amusement park? I don't think coaster enthusiasts are the best judges of amusement parks. Take SFWoA. That is a park that is developing some great rides, at least they are trying, but the park as a whole has a long way to go.

I think enthusiasts sometimes judge the merits of a park strictly on coasters and that leaves out a lot of other aspects of those parks like shows, family rides, cleanliness, etc.

Amy
07-03-2002, 05:44 PM
Kraxle, I disagree when you said these are the parks that people just thought were the best, based on one thing.

ASTROLAND?!?!?!? I'm from New York, I've been there. Cyclone is AMAZING, but uhhmm...it's the skeeviest park in the world. It's gross, dirty, and the most pitiful excuse for a park I've ever seen. Most New Yorkers have at least been to Great Adventure or Rye Playland or SOMETHING.

Kyle L
07-03-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by condor27
Judging by the fact that AOL is the most expensive and worst ISP in America, it doesn't surprise me if AOL users make any 'rather unusual' (or shall I say stupid?) opinion.

The way life taught me is that, you don't pay for something that is both bad and expensive. If you fail to understand that, then ........ you know........

ROFLMAO! Thats soooo true, AOL is Internet for Idiots, AOL doesn't really have any good services, IMO.

Back to the topic, These parks are really sort of well, I say everbody ignore them, its just GP making choices, If GP voted for top ten coasters, then wed be doomed. " Number one spote title belongs to Batman: The ride!" GP speaking: " Its ONE OF A KIND!"

coastergenius100
07-05-2002, 09:41 AM
Jeeze, that list is horrible, what was everybody thinking?

Well it's AOL, what do you expect?

Ta2KX
07-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Keep in mind that the list is from AOL users, who are, well, not very bright. Trying to IM an AOL user and talk to them is like attempting to go into the disney store and strike up an intelligent conversation with sumone. Just remember that AOL users are the ones who say OMG OMG!!!! I LIKE LOVE THE MANTIS TO LIKE DEATH!!! ITS GOT LIKE 20,000 LOOPS AND LIKE GOES ON 4 EVA YO!!!!

Coasterfanman21
07-05-2002, 02:29 PM
When parks like PKI,SFMM,and IOA are not put on a top ten American list then u know somin is wrong. And when Six Flags Astroworld is number one then that is just wrong. AOL users are officially dumb.

Alex T
07-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Coasterfanman21
When parks like PKI,SFMM,and IOA are not put on a top ten American list then u know somin is wrong. And when Six Flags Astroworld is number one then that is just wrong. AOL users are officially dumb. Actually Astroland was number one and astroworld was 10th. Either way it doesn't make much sense lol. I'm still completely amazed MM or IOA didn't make it. This poll shows how smart the gp is lol.

Seahawk
07-05-2002, 05:52 PM
we all seem to agree that the general idiot quotient that makes people keep AOL as their ISP would make them produce a poll result like this. But who the heck knows how the poll was conducted, or what the criteria was? You can't give it any credibility unless you know. Another point that must considered: AOL's parent company is now Time-Warner (or, you might say, Time-Warner's parent company is now AOL - the two are now one). A Federal Court recently upheld the mega-million award to the former limited partners of Six Flags Over Georgia, against Time-Warner, for intentionally trying to devalue the proprety in the 1990s, and the award does carry over to the current owners of the park, Six Flags, Inc., and a lesser but still substantial judgement against Time-Warner was also awarded to the former limited partners in Six Flags Over Texas, for the same offense, same time period, applicable to the same present operators. (Why do you all think SFOT and SFOG are now getting all the capital improvements they've been getting, especially during the current dry spell?) Bottom line: do you really think that AOL is going to put the name of a Six Flags park at or near the top of any amusement park poll, considering how much that company's now having to pay out in damages because of Time-Warner's past mismanagement of and ill will toward Six Flags? No, if the poll had any means of participants selecting parks from a list, I'd think SFOT, SFOG, or possibly other major Six Flags would not even appear. If participants wrote in selections, I wouldn't be surprised if results were manipulated so the offending name of Six Flags would vanish completely. They probably just "allowed" AstroWorld to hang in at #10 so it wouldn't seem too obviously obliterated - after all, the name Six Flags is so well known now, it would seem glaringly absent from any such list of amusement parks. I've been saying it for years - AOL is evil and MUST be destroyed.

alpie
07-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Seahawk
I've been saying it for years - AOL is evil and MUST be destroyed.

Ah, the AOL conspiracy theory... let's add to it... all their major media competitors are "unnaturally" under-represented - Vivendi (no IOA, US), Disney (OK, a coupla token ones) and one Paramount (Carowinds?!?)...

We're onto 'em! Betcha they're shredding documents as we speak.

Their greed may yet get the best of them. Tons of debt (due to the Time Warner gigamerger), a slump in advertising...

Their stock price chart kinda looks like the first drop on MF... then again... most do these days... sigh..

Cid
07-08-2002, 01:43 AM
hey HEY!! i love astroworld. its that park thats number one on my list when it comes to sentimental value. however i agree that it shouldn't be on the list though. i also agree with seahawk, i think the list was manipulated. aol always manipulates list (i think) they put the volkswagon bus, aka shagginwagon on the top ten worst cars!!

Air
07-08-2002, 03:23 PM
Even though I'm glad BGT made 2nd, since it's my home park, I still do not agree with it's placing. I mean I have never been to CP, but I know it is better that BGT. I expected BGT to come in 5th or so. Also, I have no idea why IOA isn't on the list. I expected it to come in at at leat 2nd. WHERE WAS BGW, AND WHY THE CRAP WAS SF ASTROWORLD ON THE LIST AT ALL????????!!!!!:eek: :eek: :sun: :usa:

Air
07-08-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm an AOL user and fid nothing wrong with it. I took no part in that survey, let alone knew it existed. Besides, AOL did nothing wrong. It was the users (not me) who chose the parks.:usa:

Air
07-08-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by wahooskipper
I'm not sure I agree with you there. Does the roller coaster define the theme/amusement park? I don't think coaster enthusiasts are the best judges of amusement parks. Take SFWoA. That is a park that is developing some great rides, at least they are trying, but the park as a whole has a long way to go.

I think enthusiasts sometimes judge the merits of a park strictly on coasters and that leaves out a lot of other aspects of those parks like shows, family rides, cleanliness, etc.

I agree totally. The rollercoasters at a amusement park do not make the decision to how good the park is. I mean, everyone knows that because IOA only has 2, well technically 3, coasters. IOA is good because of it's theming and clean/landscaped environment. Coaster fans aren't the best judges for amusement parks. Take CP for example. Oh ya, the coasters and thrill rides are fun and all. But is it really that clean or themed?? Another example is BGW. It is better than CP. It has rollercoasters just like CP. And they're not exactly bad either. I mean they have a hyper. And a suspeneded which you don't see to often. BGW is well themed. And it is literally in nature. Most of the rides are surounded by trees. It is not built over a parking lot. And all of their coasters, except Alpengeist dive down in a lake. and BGW won best landscaped park and best food for like 4 years in a row. Thats what makes a park good.:) :sun: :usa:

KoasterKing
07-08-2002, 03:55 PM
haha thats messed up! o well at least we know that its just stupid, and that AOL is to.

coasetrphil
07-08-2002, 05:51 PM
A park's rating may depend on more than just coasters, but I bet that astroland isn't clean or themed, it's in the middle of a city.

Goliathlete
07-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Where is SFMM?! This list is jacked. The Santa Cruz boardwalk sucks!

SFgadvfreak
07-09-2002, 09:08 AM
from what i see the list bites.

I think there could have been 10 park names to shoose from. Thats maybe y the really good parks didnt make it.

hypnotek
07-10-2002, 02:55 PM
aol went and done it again. if you're an aol user, i pity you.......now, if you could all e-mail your opinions to me at hypnotek@aol. com.......;) :p .........hyp (in truth, i am a, well, neutral aol user. yes, i probably made a mistake for signing up for the service but hell, we all tend to screw ourselves over once in awhile:) )

General Public
07-10-2002, 06:26 PM
I have to ask, does this really matter? There are lots of "top ten parks" lists from different groups and stuff, and each is going to be different. This one was pretty bad, but still... who cares?

Anaconda
07-10-2002, 09:24 PM
Ok, I know the whole population deal, but I don't understand how PKD or BGW didn't make the list but PC did. I know PC is next to Charlotte, but BGW is next to Hampton Roads, and that contains 200,000 more people than Charlotte, and PKD is near Richmond and DC, thats gotta be weird that PC did but PKD and BGW didn't.

Nitro1118
07-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Where's SFMM? I don't know how Astroland beat CP and most of the other parks.:rolleyes:

Cuddy
07-10-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by coasetrphil
This shows how retarded aol users are.:D

I happen to be an AOL user. However I knew nothing of the poll. I too am surprised by some of the marquee parks left off the map. Not surprised to see CP where it is.

Anaconda
07-11-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by CedarPoint_Mark

I happen to be an AOL user. However I knew nothing of the poll. I too am surprised by some of the marquee parks left off the map. Not surprised to see CP where it is.

Well stated Mark. I too am an AOL user (soon to be ex, not b/c of this poll but I'm about fed up with AOL) and I also knew nothing of this poll. Had any AOL user on any of the coaster enthusiast boards known of this, I'm sure the results would be very different than what they were.

coasterguy1
07-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Seahawk
Six Flags, Inc., and a lesser but still substantial judgement against Time-Warner was also awarded to the former limited partners in Six Flags Over Texas, for the same offense, same time period, applicable to the same present operators. (Why do you all think SFOT and SFOG are now getting all the capital improvements they've been getting, especially during the current dry spell?) Bottom line: do you really think that AOL is going to put the name of a Six Flags park at or near the top of any amusement park poll, considering how much that company's now having to pay out in damages because of Time-Warner's past mismanagement of and ill will toward Six Flags? No, if the poll had any means of participants selecting parks from a list, I'd think SFOT, SFOG, or possibly other major Six Flags would not even appear. If participants wrote in selections, I wouldn't be surprised if results were manipulated so the offending name of Six Flags would vanish completely. They probably just "allowed" AstroWorld to hang in at #10 so it wouldn't seem too obviously obliterated - after all, the name Six Flags is so well known now, it would seem glaringly absent from any such list of amusement parks. I've been saying it for years - AOL is evil and MUST be destroyed.

I think Astroworld is up there because even though it was abused, they didnt sue, and that is whjy they are up there. I also love Astroworld. It is my #2 park next to CP. Yes, I've been to SoCal and all those other places, but I still think Astroworld is better, even though you wouldnt expect it up on a top 10 parks list.

Cuddy
07-13-2002, 10:18 PM
If you see where Astroland is located (Brooklyn) think of how many New Yorkers alone voted on that.

Anaconda, I highly doubt that AOL Coaster Enthusiasts could have swayed that vote.

ride6
07-14-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by condor27

HEY! I'm an AOL user you sicko! I propably voted CP if I voted at all! So it had NOTHING to do with me. By the way that list is messed up worse than a four car pile up I saw the other day!

antfarm007
07-15-2002, 05:53 PM
I didn't read the whole thread so chances are somebody said it.
The poll was conducted by MSN CityGuide's and the parks are just in alphabetical order!!!

alpie
07-15-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by antfarm007
I didn't read the whole thread so chances are somebody said it.
The poll was conducted by MSN CityGuide's and the parks are just in alphabetical order!!!

AH! Very good! Didn't notice that... but the majority of the people are not arguing about the order of those 10 parks - they are amazed/upset at the parks that are on the list and the parks that have been omitted.

S:ROSFNE
07-16-2002, 04:18 PM
To quote the words of Jim Norton, "That is just awful"

coastersrsweet
07-16-2002, 06:18 PM
I know I can't take that list seriously, now we know no coaster enthusiests work for AOL, that also showes coaster enthusiests are smart ;)

alpie
07-16-2002, 07:48 PM
I now agree, this thread is totally hosed...

Here's the link to the list:

http://local.msn.com/special/amusementparks.asp

And the list is the MSN editors' favorites NOT an AOL users' poll!

Should we rename the thread MSN Editors' Top Ten Parks?!? Nah....

wahooskipper
07-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Ooops, I have opened a hornets nest. If a mod wants to change the name of the thread, so be it. I wasn't trying to start WWIII. I just thought it was interesting to see what the GP thinks of our beloved parks.