PDA

View Full Version : July Discussion

Andy Hodgson
07-05-2002, 02:05 AM
Yabber Yabber Jacker Jacker about those July parks in here...don't be afraid. Go on ahead and discuss, debate, compliment, whatever.

Aaron
07-06-2002, 01:06 AM
Blake Valley

Coasters.
Not bad at all. Very good use of the terrain on all four coasters. Considering how short they were, the coasters had pretty good ratings, especially Tiny Towers. Airforce 1 was a very creative design, and the crusher idea was neat. I liked how Sea Serpent kept popping up above the water in a bunny hop, and then dropping back below it.
Overall coaster rating: 7.4

Scenery.
The scenery in Blake Valley was relatively simple, but it looked pretty good. This park had a nice selection of trees, and I liked the buildings; some of them were a nice change from what you normally see in a park.
Overall scenery rating: 7.2

Other rides.
The other rides here were okay. Like the scenery, very simple, but decent. They were nicely integrated into the park. I liked Echo, interesting name for a roto-drop. Maybe you could have added a jet ski or boat ride dock in the water though.
Overall other ride rating: 6.7

Additional comments.
This was a pretty simple, but nicely done mini park. Everything blended together rather effectively and didn't stand out too much.

Overall park rating: 7.3

Rainforest Gardens

Coasters.
As always, your coasters had great color schemes, great layout, great names, and great ratings. They intertwined very nicely with the other rides, the scenery, and terrain. I loved all the twists and turns on Explorer, and Volcano Express was a superb mine train. It was interesting that Sky Serpent had an in-line-twist as it's first inversion rather then the more common loop or cobra roll. I also liked how you made Avenger very non-dominating. The stations were nice too.
Overall coaster rating: 9.4

Scenery.
First of all, the trees in Rainforest Gardens were terrific. As you've done before, this park had a perfect blend of trees and bushes that made for an excellent jungle look. The occasional bones, gardens, and ruins scattered around was a nice touch. The buildings were very good, and not overly complicated and standout-ish. Some of the cliffs, though, like the ones near Helicopter Safari would have looked nicer if they were covered with wood or something else instead of the default rock edges.
Overall scenery rating: 9.2

Other rides.
Rainforest Gardens had a pretty good blend of other rides. I like parks that use a good amount of all types of rides, gentle, thrill, and water, and this park did exactly that. The color schemes worked very nicely with the overall atmosphere of Rainforest Gardens, and the names weren't bad either. My favorite was Jurassic Rapids; I thought it was integrated beautifully with the surrounding terrain and trees.
Overall other rides rating: 9.5

Additional comments.
So far, I think this is your best work. By far, Rainforest Gardens was the best jungle park I've ever seen. Everything about this park gave it that perfect jungle feel.

Overall park rating: 9.6

Six Flags South Jersey

When I first saw this park, it touched off something in my memory because it looked so familiar I was sure I'd seen it before. I posted a review of this park earlier, you can check it out here. (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?threadid=19181)

Alien@SixFlags
07-06-2002, 10:44 AM
wow, actually got a positive review this time, YAY! :D

Butterfinger
07-06-2002, 01:35 PM
Review of Rainforest Gardens:

COASTERS- Very good. All the coasters had very nice layouts and intertwined with themselves very well. You kept fairly good pacing on all rides and the color schemes looked very good as well (its nice to not see a gigantic yellow hyper for a change :)). In addition, they were all very realistic and carried almost no trace of domination at all. 8.5/10

THEMEING- Your best job of themeing yet IMO. This is definetly one of the best (if not THE best) jungle parks I have ever seen. Your buildings were superb and the paths looked great even despite that they were single pathed. 8.5/10

LANDSCAPING- Very, very good. I simpely LOVED your trees, I thought they looked SOOO awesome. Very nice how you mixed jungle trees and deciduous trees together. You worked with the land very well also. I liked all the hills and rivers in this park. 9/10

OVERALL VIEW- With the combination of hills, a great tree selection, the rivers, and the non-dominating coasters, I would like to say that your overall view was Superb. 9/10

OVERALL RATING- 9/10. What a great park. IMO you have a very good chance at 1st place with this submission...

Butterfinger
07-06-2002, 01:57 PM
Review of Six Flags South Jersey:

COASTERS- The coasters here were exactly what I would expect out of a Six Flags park. Same names used, clones, all you would expect out of Six Flags. As for the coasters themselves, I thought they were fairly good. Nothing amazing, but good. 7/10

THEMEING- The themeing here also seems like SF themeing. It really isnt that good, but definetly realistic. The paths were a little to wide for my tastes but that is okay. I'll give you another 7/10

LANDSCAPING- There wasnt much landscaping here. I guess once again that is what you would usually find at a SF park :D. However, This park really could of prospered from a few more trees and some gardens. 5.5/10

OVERALL VIEW- Not bad. Nothing was TOOO dominating and most everything fitted in well. 7/10

OVERALL RATING- 7/10. This park is pretty good (especially for a first park)

Butterfinger
07-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Review of Blake Valley:

COASTERS- For the most part, the coasters were pretty good. I liked how they were all very small and fit into a small space. Its also interesting how they intertwine with each other. 6.5/10

THEMEING- The themeing here was so much better than when you first showed the park to me. Good job on adding buildings and filling up more of the space. I also liked how the themeing was very realistic. 7/10

LANDSCAPING- Not bad. You didnt use very much flat land which is good, and you also used a good amount of water. The trees were okay, although there could of been more of them. 6.5/10

OVERALL VIEW- Well, I must say that the overall view was very nice. Good realism and nothing was dominating. 7.5/10

OVERALL RATING- 7/10. This was a pretty good mini park. All your other parks have been fantasy, but I like your realism in this park way better.

On a side note, in case everyone didnt hear, there is a very good chance that I wont be entering this month because Lake Wintergreen has a very high chance at NE Spotlight or Hidden Park (as Iris has informed me). So I will be exited to see someone else win this month!

Morgan
07-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Really, Butterfinger??? In that case...I'd better start working on my park again...this may be my only chance to win!

SFMM DUDE
07-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Thunder Canyon will be ready in one week!
MWHAAA!!!!!

Alien@SixFlags
07-10-2002, 09:00 PM
wow, no one has posted here in 4 days

Tycoon
07-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Well, here's what I think of the other entered parks so far:

Blake Valley- Very nice park for the relatively small size. The roller coasters are mostly good, well-designed to fit the terrain and stay in a small area. (I don't like the wooden coaster much, but the way it's built in the water and goes underwater keeps it interesting, despite the uninteresting and short layout. The excitement ratings are good for the small size of them. Also, good tree combinations, nice scenery, and a good selection of rides considering the small number of them. This is a nice, simple little park. I'm not very good at number ratings, but this gets a 7/10 overall from me.

Six Flags South Jersey- This park is pretty good, but it could have been better. The scenery is not bad, but this park really needed MORE of it. The gardens are nice, but the tree selection isn't great and the paths are too wide in places (get rid of some of them and put in more trees!). The roller coasters are pretty good, and there is a good variety of rides. The names are mostly unoriginal, but it is supposed to be a Six Flags, I suppose...
Overall, 6.5 out of 10, very good for a first park.

Fantasy World Las Vegas
Wow! This is a nice park! The coasters are great, with nice layouts and excellent ratings, and they are large but not dominating. My favorites are Eruption and the Avalanche Snow/Ice racers, although all of them are great (even the mine train!) The theming is very good, mostly. I don't care for the urban theming, but you made it look better than most people who use it do. The tree selection in this front area is also not as good as the rest of the park, but this area is still pretty good. The other areas are even better, the rides blend nicely with the scenery, and the tree selections are great. I especially like the Mountain Trails area. I think that's about it... ah, the other rides and shops are good, too, of course, I think that river ride in the snow area has about the highest excitement I've seen on a river ride that isn't ridiculously long. Very nice park! 9.5/10

Be sure to take a look at my park Rainforest Gardens if you haven't already. Thanks to those who have rated it already for the good reviews! :)

Aaron
07-17-2002, 12:33 AM
Coasters.
Another excellent collection of coasters from you in this park. The coasters looked great. They worked very well in their respective sections, and didn't stand out at all. Lots of hacks in this park, though (I've never been too fond of hacked rides). If you asked me, the steel trains didn't look that good on the Avalanche dueling woodies and Mountaineer, although the pacing on the Avalanche duelers was okay. However, the ratings were incredible. Excluding The Fantasy Tower, the lowest rating I saw was on Gamble Mountain, an 8.72. The names were good too, and I especially liked Stratosphere Extreme, that was a creative concept. The station architecture was pretty good as well. As for UnknownForce: Flight of Mystery, it was pretty good, although it's bright orange paint scheme might have conflicted too much with the greenery.
Overall coaster rating: 9.4

Scenery.
In the main park, the theming was very, very good. Each of the sections were different, but there weren't any sharp transitions between the different parks. The trees and bush selections in each of the sections worked very well for that's sections particular theme. I particularly enjoyed the tree selection around Gamble Mountain and in the Mountain Trails and the Ice Cap zones. However, I wasn't too fond of the tree clumping around Crusin' Around Vegas. The gardens in some of the wider paths looked nice as well. Plus, the architecture in the park was good, and interacted well with the rides and other scenery of each zone. As for the scenery on the bonus map, I would have really liked a better use of trees. The orange water didn't look good either.
Overall scenery rating: 9.3

Other rides.
Like the coasters, there was a great selection of other rides in this park. They were all very nicely integrated into the coasters and theming in each of the sections. One ride in particular caught my attention, the Jackpot Lake Logging Co. It was a very creative idea, and certainly eliminated the very slow lift hills found on other log flume rides. Mission: Magma was a pretty good ghost train, and I really liked Frozen Puzzle. River rapids are my favorite other ride, and I'm glad to see that Fantasy World Las Vegas had one. Rocky Rapids had a darn good rating for being under 3 minutes long, and I liked how you used inverted wild mouse track to eliminate the blocky wooden supports (I tend to simply raise the terrain under the ride to remove the supports). This park had a nice variety of flat rides too. But my favorite ride had to be Below Zero. You got rid of the supports using inverted wild mouse track, which is nice, but what really amazed me was it's rating. For a river ride that's 4 minutes and 42 seconds, an average excitement rating is between 6-7. Below Zero had an excitement rating of an incredible 8.42! Great job.
Overall other rides rating: 9.5

Additional Comments.
This park was simply superb. Amazing rides, and awesome scenery. Everything about it was beautifully done.

Overall park rating: 9.5

Aaron
07-23-2002, 12:33 AM
Coasters.
The coasters themselves were pretty good. They were well designed, and didn't dominate the park. The layouts were nice, and the station architecture was good as well. I really liked the layout of Diamondback and The Villain. Speaking of The Villain, for the most part, it was a great, Intamin Giga style coaster. However, I DID NOT like the custom supports on The Villain. The supports underneath the track itself were okay, but the supports to the side of the track, the ones made with vertical coaster track, looked really blocky. Custer's Last Stand was a nice fishhook, and I liked the holding brake on the spike. Hm……
Overall coaster rating: 8.1

Scenery.
The scenery that you did have in the park was great. I really liked the tree blend that you used throughout most of the treed section. I also thought that the desert vegetation around Diamondback was pretty good. The gardens around Merry-Go-Round and Giant Wheel looked good too. However, I didn't like the bare crags around Canyon Blaster and the assortment of flat rides near Outlaw. The architecture used for station buildings was good, but the craggly "buildings" looked pretty ugly.
Overall scenery rating: 6.8

Other rides.
There was a decent assortment of other rides in Thunder Canyon. Their names were pretty good, and they were decently integrated into the rest of the park. As I previously mentioned, though, I didn't like the crags around the flat rides. I did noticed a lack of functional water rides. The only ones I saw that were openable was Old Man River's Flume Ride, which wasn't too bad a log flume, and Coal Island Boat Rental.
Overall other rides rating: 7.3

Additional Comments.
I have one MAJOR complaint with this park, and that is the fact that it is overpathed. Because much of it was covered with path, the park appeared far too empty, especially around its middle portion. Nice use of water in the park, though.

Overall park rating: 7.7

Jhcbiinoc
07-25-2002, 03:00 AM
Havent been able to drop in for a while but I wanted to say thanks all for the recognition, the compliments, and the constructive criticism on my June submission Worlds In Motion (I KNEW I should have fixed that checkerboard land on the one coaster....LOL!). And I'm embarassed to say this but I did not realize you could synchronize coasters in the ride control window, but now I do. The park I am working on now (which may not be ready in time for this month) I put it to use. Some great parks already this go around!

Butterfinger
07-25-2002, 06:53 PM
ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!! My computer has gotten a virus and I am having to reformatt all my hard drive so I am cant D/L the most recent entries! If you've noticed, I havent been on the boards at all lately... the stupid virus is the reason for this also (the only reason I am posting now is because my dad forgot to bring his Labtop to work). Hopefully I get my computer fixed soon.

Valpengeist
07-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Valpengeist’s Review of:
SIX FLAGS SOUTH JERSEY
(0-5 Stars)

First Impression: I opened the park, and the first thing I saw was a huge, gray area. At first, I thought it was a parking lot, before I realized it was a path! Your park is very bland, but it lives up to the Six Flags name!
Rating: **
-
-
Coasters: Your coasters looked pretty interesting, but few of them delivered!

You Need:
1) More terrain to your coasters … a good collection of hills and valleys greatly add to a park.
2) More TREES! All coasters look a million times better with more trees, and you really lacked in that department.
3) More theming… The medieval coasters were fairly well done, but more buildings and detail are necessary.
4) More of a terrain quality… Spread your coasters out more!
5) More names… Roller Coaster 1 is not acceptable! Plus, originality would be better.

That said, Thunderhawk, your wooden twister, and Roller Coaster 1, your suspended, had a lot of potential. Just follow every step above.

Merlin’s Escape and Goliath, however, looked great. Follow steps 1, 2, 3, & 5 above.

You just need to keep working, and skill will come!
-
-
Other Rides: All your other rides need more theming, landscaping, and names! Names like Enterprise 1 annoy me. Dino Island had a lot of potential, if you used more tunnels and a bigger variety of trees.
-
-
Theming: Your medieval section was pretty well done, but you need much more detail and originality. Buildings are a necessity!
Rating: * 1/2
-
-
Landscaping: This is where your park severely lacked. You need much more of a terrain; hills, valleys, mountains, slopes, waterways, etc. You also need to work on the amount of trees! A park just looks… empty without trees. Also, more original flowers/fountains/etc. could help. The paths were far too big.
Rating: *
-
-
Overall Impression: The main thing I saw was that your park just didn’t look finished. Finish theming, landscaping, naming, testing, and things of that nature before you submit. Your park looks like a good start, but you must keep working. Download some of the past TNPP winners to see what you’re working towards. Do that, and I’m sure you’ll improve!
FINAL RATING: **

Valpengeist
07-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Valpengeist’s Review of:
BLAKE VALLEY

First Impression: Your park looked pretty good when I saw it. It was small, but the trees were nice and the coasters looked appealing.
Rating: ***

Coasters: Your coasters worked out to be pretty well, but they were either lacking in intensity or excitement. Sea Serpent was creative, but it looked odd. Shadow used the terrain well; I liked it. Airforce 1 and Tiny Towers were both well done and looked good together, but they lacked intensity. The others were good as well.
Rating: ***- ***1/2

Other Rides: Standard, but could use more original names and color schemes.
Rating: **1/2

Theming: Your theming was almost non-existent, and one section clashed. Develop a good theme for your park and stick to it.
Rating: **1/2

Landscaping: Your terrain was great, your tree selection was great, and you had some overall good landscaping. It could use some final touches, more buildings, etc.
Rating: ***1/2

Overall Impression: I liked it, and it was good for its size. You did a great job on an already-existing RCT park, but I’d love to see you do an original mega park!
FINAL RATING: ***

Valpengeist
07-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Valpengeist’s Review of:
RAINFOREST GARDENS

First Impression: WOW. Others have said jungle theming looks terrible, but yours was FANTASTIC! The whole park was busy with trees, paths, theming, and coasters, and your blends of attraction theming were superb. First class!
Rating: *****!

Coasters: Excellent here as well! I really like Sky Serpent, Volcano Express, and Lightning (although it stood out a bit too much). However, they could have used slightly more creative names and unique-from-each-other colors. Great!
Rating: ****1/2

Other Rides: Your water rides were excellent! They looked as if they were natural waterfalls throughout a forest… good job. Some of the flats were too close together, however.
Rating: ****/12

Theming: Do you see a trend here? FANTASTIC theming! Maybe a few more objects and buildings would have improved it a tad.

Landscaping: I don’t care what others say; rainforest/jungle theming and single-wide paths look excellent. Your trees looked great, and there was still variety throughout the park. The terrain was nice.
Rating: *****!

Overall Impression: I really liked your park. Some of the towers and tall roller coasters looked too obtrusive, but great job nonetheless. You are a master!
FINAL RATING: ****1/2

Valpengeist
07-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Valpengeist’s Review of:
FANTASY WORLD LAS VEGAS

First Impression: My first impression was a good one! I liked the look of your park; the tower coaster was cool and very signature-like. Some of the theming seemed odd together, however, but I really liked it!

Coasters: This is where your park, in particular, excelled. All of them had great ratings and good theming. My favorites were your snow section coasters; they were excellent! However, the constant pacing on some of them lacked a little bit.

Other Rides: They looked great, but seemed average. Still, they looked great.
Rating: ****

Theming: Your theming was excellent, but it all didn’t seem to fit! It didn’t exactly clash, but it all looked very strange together! As I said in an earlier review, I’d like it better if you focused on one theme and stuck to it.

Landscaping: Great job here, too! The hills and valleys were great, but the trees could use a tad more variety. I’d also like to see more buildings, but your landscaping was overall done very well!

Overall Impression: I really wanted to like your park a lot, but I just couldn’t. There was something missing that kept it from being better… hey- still, an AWESOME job and I’d like to see more work from you!! FWLV was excellent!
FINAL RATING: ****1/4

Valpengeist
07-29-2002, 03:34 PM
Valpengeist’s Review of:
THUNDER CANYON

First Impression: I liked the look of your park, and the sections looked very good. It looked like a nice, western theme, but you had way too many paths!

Coasters: You did very well in this department! Some of them seemed quite small, but they were unique. I really liked Villain, but Outlaw’s area trees and colors stuck out like a sore thumb. Good job nonetheless! (Oh yeah- GREAT names!)

Other Rides: Your flats were very good, with some creative names. However, some of them were stuck in the middle of a bunch of paths and that looked bad. I still liked them though, especially the dueling inverter ships. I’d have liked to seen more theming around the log ride.

Theming: You had some good and some bad. It looked very good except for one thing- that castle! What was it doing in the middle of a canyon? Hmm…

Landscaping: Your terrain was good, the waterways were great, but the trees could have been a tad better, especially the Outlaw area. I’d have liked to seen more of a “canyon.”
Rating: ***1/2

Overall Impression: Overall, an excellent park. I loved the look of it, and the coasters were unique and original. Great job, and keep up the good work!
FINAL RATING: ****

TXCoasterGuy1
08-01-2002, 11:16 AM
hey andy! when is voting gonna start? its august already!!!