PDA

View Full Version : Wicked Twister's Front Tower

dback2k
08-18-2002, 04:45 PM
When I visited Cedar Point (Aug 6-8) Wicked Twister was closed almost all of Tuesday because of maitenance. There were people working, and welding, on BOTH Towers. We knew the back tower was having problems, but I had no idea the front one was too. Anyways, after that, it was running fine the next two days (if not a little slower than before). Please post your comments here.

Matt M
08-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Hopefully next season they won't have to weld everything. It seems like every month they keep on having to weld everything!!!!!

oramonster
08-18-2002, 09:16 PM
We may see new track pieces for both towers next season. I think the reason the front tower is just now exhibiting problems is because it recieves less load than the rear under normal operation. Only one pass reaches the top of the front tower, whereas two passes went to the top of the back tower, so it took longer for the same problems to show themselves.

-seth

intamin101
08-19-2002, 01:10 AM
Good thinking seth. How are they going to solve this problem though?
I mean is it just the problem of the steel not being strong enough, or is it more serious than that?

Zmoney88
08-19-2002, 01:26 AM
I was there on the 6th and I saw a guy working on the front tower too. I took a picture of him from the top of the Giant Wheel. Also, as we were walking out (about midnight) we saw sparks fly out from a guy welding up there.

It's a good thing we were there on the 5th too, so we were able to ride it once.

oramonster
08-19-2002, 01:53 AM
While we may never know for sure, there are two theories of what could've caused these problems.

First is bad steel. Somehow, the steel isn't up to specifications, therefore isn't strong enough. Replacing the track with track made with the proper steel will solve this problem.

The other school of thought is that Intamin messed up on some calculations. As a result, too much force is being placed on certain members of the track, causing a resulting failure. The solution to this is to replace the track with properly designed track, eliminating thie problem.

Theoretically, welding the proper pieces onto the track will solve theory #2, but theory #1 requires a full replacement. Someone with connections or sharp eyes will have to keep a watch on the park to see if Wicked Twister's top most track pieces come down over the winter. I guess we'll just wait and see.

-Seth

][ntamin22
08-21-2002, 05:38 PM
Hey! I went to CP for the 1st time on the 19th. rode Wicked Twister at 20 till 10, I almost froze even with a sweatshirt on because of the breeze coming in off the ocean. If you've been there, you know how close you are to the ocean and how exposed the line is.
Anyway, It was great. I hadn't been on it before, so I wouldn't know if there was a difference after the work done on it. However, yesterday my whole family was watching a show on the travel chanel (the one that showed the old V2, it's mentioned in some other topic) and we were all amazed at how much the twisted tower shook when the train went up or down compared to WT- my dad still hasn't gotten over it. Is it possible that the construction was to keep the towers from wobbling? because they didn't even with 25 mph + gusts (it was closed along with the observation tower for part of the morning due to high winds, not rain as we suspected- some employee was walking around near the base of the observation tower and he told us the rides were closed because of 30 mph+ wind gusts. he even had a laptop with the weather chanel site up with him.)
Back on topic, does anybody know if the towers wobbled before the construction? Hope I helped.

topfueler
08-21-2002, 06:24 PM
Guess you didn't do so hot in geography class there Intamin22. Cedar Point borders Lake Erie; not an ocean. When I was at CP in May, the towers did wobble quite a bit.

RCTfreak
08-21-2002, 08:21 PM
Hopefully this will be fixed by the start of the 2003 season. The wobbling of the towers are a good thing! If not with out going into great detail thw towers would well snap, not good! So the wobbling of thw towers is good.

coasterguy1
08-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Im hoping they do wobble, because that could be the reason why they are having problems in the first place. Hopefully they'll figure it out and fix it.