PDA

View Full Version : Could Travel Channel get hurt from a lie?

SKULLY
08-20-2002, 08:12 PM
I'm sure that we all hate Travel Channel, but could they get sued for just saying SFMM does have the most coasters?After seeing the old V2 on this show, I'm sure we all got:mad: , but could they get hurt by this lie. This show is new, so I wanna know.I hope they get sued, I'm sooo sick of travel Channel.:devil: :sick:

Chip
08-20-2002, 08:41 PM
What? You're sure we all hate the Travel Channel? Why would they be sued, anyway? So they got a fact wrong or something. Big deal. It's nothing to create this much of a fuss over. :)

SKULLY
08-20-2002, 08:56 PM
No, I love the Travel Channel, but why can't you just say SF made a mistake?Now look at them.

RCTfreak
08-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Everyone makes mistakes. If a T.V. Channel makes a mistake I would notice it but not sue them for it. Nobody is perfect. That includes people at The Travel Channel.

BimmerZ3
08-20-2002, 09:13 PM
I don't hate the Travel Channel at all. I haven't seen the new show where they supposably used the old V2, but maybe they shot that segment along time ago (Well, obviously) and they didn't have time to go back and film the new V2 before they did the final editing. Noone expected it to change, so they might have planned when they were going to do this whole show last year, and that's when they did the V2 shot. After all, it's not their fault that SF ********* up and they had to mess around w/ V2.

Chris L
08-21-2002, 02:17 AM
What lie? I'm sort of confused. X is back up and running so I don't know what "lie" would hurt them? :confused:

StealthSniper16
08-21-2002, 02:25 AM
As far as I'm concerned, X was never permanently closed, there for they kept the record for 15 coasters. Once a coaster has been close for like 6 months or so, then i would see the problem. But it was just a temporary closure to me even if it was SBNO for three months.

coasetrphil
08-21-2002, 10:11 AM
Travel Channel makes a lot of mistakes. One time they showed a picture of SOB for a commercial for a BGT special and said it was Gwazi.

condor27
08-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Well........ that's not the only mistakes. Even Paul Ruben can't differentiate between LSM and LIM........

RiddRevenger
08-21-2002, 02:24 PM
That show was obviously made in 2001 (when MM had 15 and CP had 14) so I don't really see the big deal here.

Anaconda
08-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Hey, I like the Travel Channel. It provides an interesting coaster show compared to a sitcom loaded with nothing but bathroom and se*ual humor. Since they got a fact wrong, it means we can all point fingers and laugh, and makes it even more interesting to watch, just to see what mistakes we can find.

coasterguy1
08-21-2002, 08:51 PM
I like most of the Travel Channel specials. They are usually right and even if they get a few facts wrong I dont mind too much.

SKULLY
08-21-2002, 09:25 PM
Okay, I'll listen.Maybe I'm anti top 10.Well, I would've excpected them to use sumthin more up to date.Oh well.As long as it's not vegas week again, I'm KINDA happy.

coastersrsweet
08-21-2002, 10:41 PM
I wish I got the travel channel with our cable plan we don't get the travel chanell.... :/

condor27
08-23-2002, 12:23 PM
If you're expert in certain field, it's not hard to spot related mistakes in documentaries. It's not only coasters, but many other things as well.

For example, one show explains how a tank is driven. It said it's steered by 2 lever. By pulling one, the tank turns that way. Well, virtually no tank is driven like that after WWII. Most have car-like (and some may look like the yoke of a plane) steering wheel and pedals, and some odd ones have motorcycle style handlebar.

Another example, one show said Airbus A330 family is the answer to Boeing 737 family. The biggest family in 737 can only carry about 180 passengers, while the smallest A330 can deal with 240! It also said Airbus A340 is against Boeing 767, well, A340 is bigger than 767, and travels much further. A340's real enemy is another Boeing, 777.

Raptor having the most inversion at the time it't built, what about Kumba and Viper?

If you can sue Discovery network for having incorrect coaster facts, I could make lots of money by doing the same thing with all the plane shows too.

Smoky
08-23-2002, 02:02 PM
Well you have to remember too that the Travel Channel is largely a cable infomercial channel for various travel destinations, and thus they're gonna put any park they profile, whether it be Magic Mountain, Great America, Cedar Point, Strickers Grove, The Dark Continent, Knotts Berry Farm, Liseberg, Trivoli Gardens, Europapark, etc. in a good light.

Yes they obviously mess up some facts, and deliberately BS the others, as well as hire local yokels to scream and make a coaster look terrifying when it isn't too much (California Screamin' looks like fun, but is it really that terrifying?) Personally my big beef with those specials is the constant cutting during the ride sequences, we don't need to see the riders faces, I just prefer a POV and the commentary thank you.

Maybe some of us coaster-nuts should get together, get some cameras, and put together our own coaster-documentary. Think the Travel Channel would go for it? Nahhhh :D

SKULLY
08-23-2002, 02:37 PM
yeeeaaaahhhhhh.I wish.Just to show the world. ;)

intamin101
08-23-2002, 04:43 PM
I personally like the Travel Channel, because otherwise I don't get to watch coaster shows, and they had a lot of POV this time, which was nice. I mean at the end of most of the segments on each ride, they would do a POV in the front seat. The only part I didn't like was when Paul Ruben did his comentaries. He annoys me for some reason. Good shows though.

Metalhead 777
08-23-2002, 08:39 PM
the Travel Channel is always wrong. For example, they called mantis the tallest stand up coaster in the world on a show once, and this is a show that showed Riddler's Revenge earlier in it...

They also said in the European Coaster Kings show that Shockwave(the one in England) had the tallest vertical loop on a stand up coaster in the world. Funny, shockwave has a 100 foot highest point. Riddler, Mantis, and Chang all have verticle loops over 100 feet. It's best not to believe anything the travel channel says. one of there shows said that STE was the number 2 ride in the world, and they said that Big Shot was the number 5. HAHAHA.

radioactiveduck
08-24-2002, 01:16 AM
I just can't belive that Magnum was their number 1 steel coaster. That stupid channel is always wrong though, so I don't think anything will happen to them.

Alien@SixFlags
08-24-2002, 06:30 PM
i dont care for how the travel channel doescoaster shows, i hate how on a coaster POV they edit it into not its real layout

birdie311
08-24-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Alien@SixFlags
i dont care for how the travel channel doescoaster shows, i hate how on a coaster POV they edit it into not its real layout

Ya, last night I was watching the Europe coaster segment and the were talking about Posiden (sp?). They said it had 2 large drops, which I know it does, but they showed the same drop for the 2 drops. It's just little things like that that pisses me off. Bu they do show coasters, so I can't complain too much.

raser
08-25-2002, 11:17 PM
I was watching last week and they said such and such was a hyper coaster because it has many inversions and alot of thrill elements.

coasetrphil
08-26-2002, 03:38 PM
birdie I noticed that too. That really annoys me becasue there is no reason for it.

condor27
08-27-2002, 02:44 PM
I think there has to be a distinction of what's right or not. Saying that Magnum is the best coaster on earth is not technically wrong, because it can not be proved scientifically. It's merely an opinion. There is no way or proving it right or wrong. I can live that that (note, I do think that Magnum is overrated).

But there are facts that can be scientifically proven, and that kind of error isn't acceptable. For example, confusing statements about LSM and LIM, wrong inversion record, wrong "first of it's kind" claim and so.

SonOfBeast
08-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Do you people get this upset of everyone's oppinions. My grandpa thinks that Power Tower Space Shot is the second best ride at CP. ANother thing, most people that watch travel channel aren't enthusiasts like you and me, they are general public, and it doesn't matter one bit what they say people are going to want to go ride them. Some people do get that terrified on coasters.

Lancelot
09-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by condor27
Well........ that's not the only mistakes. Even Paul Ruben can't differentiate between LSM and LIM........

Hahahaha, he's gettin old.

I love the travel channel, even though all the do is talk about Vegas. They showed a lot more POV i think also. They showed the entire texas giant layout without editing it. i was happy about that.

whirl n hurl
09-07-2002, 02:16 AM
Well, the shows could be more accurate with a bit more easy research, but you have to remember that they are produced for entertainment and to get the gp into these parks. For this purpose, I think they do a great job. I love to see coasters on tv and don't much care about the details, even if I notice some errors.

Jerry Huster
09-07-2002, 02:46 AM
Gosh...I just wish we HAD the Travel Channel. Discovery Networks is based just down the road in Laurel, MD - and we have EVERY other freakin' Discovery Network on the digital cable lineup...yet NO Travel Channel!

I know that was a bit off-topic...just had to vent :)