PDA

View Full Version : The "Big Four" of Six Flags

Chris L
08-21-2002, 05:46 AM
It seems as if Six Flags Inc. has leaked out slight confirmations for FOUR of their parks that "together make up one-third of the chain's revenues." Surprise surprise :rolleyes: lol

Those "four" (get a bigger scoop in the full story, link at bottom of post) are Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Six Flags Great Adventure.

Burke said he and other managers made some bad decisions that included cutting discounts and not putting new rides in some parks this year, including four parks that together make up one-third of the chain's revenues. One of those is Six Flags Over Texas.

Although the corporate news was bad, there was a silver lining for the local park, which Burke said would get a "major" ride for the 2003 season, as will parks in New Jersey; Gurnee, Ill.; and Valencia, Calif.

"Part of next year's systemwide $125 million [capital expenditure] program will be adding major rides in all four of these markets," Burke said.

Ohhh looky looky! "as will parks in New Jersey; Gurnee, Ill.; and Valencia, Calif."

Let's start speculatin'! :) ;)

See the whole story here -

-----> [www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/business/3860164.htm] <-----

Marcus
08-21-2002, 07:33 AM
Well something has to be wrong here. Either one of those parks mentioned is not going to get a coaster, or there is actually 5 parks getting a coaster. Im almost positive that SFWOA is getting a coaster, but im dont know for sure, considering i dont follow construction. But i swear i say a comment from the full story of "SF underestimates CP loyal members" that they were going to get a hyper coaster to help attendance back to compete with CP. Its just strange that they didnt mention Aurora, Ohio as one of the 4. Six Flags is not telling the truth somewhere...

CoasterFan4Life
08-21-2002, 04:56 PM
just because they said that the major four (SFOT,SFMM,SFGA,SFGradv) are all getting major rides, doesnt mean that the other parks arent getting rides. Maybe SFWOA wasn't mentioned in that statement, because perhaps it doesnt make that much money. I recently went to ohio, and did CP and SFWOA. On friday I went to CP and it was packed, and on saturday I went to SFWOA and it was empty, the longest wait being about 20 min for X Flight. Im sure that SFWOA is losing the battle with CP, which would definately hurt the park's finances.

Chris L
08-21-2002, 05:15 PM
That's right. SWoA IS losing that "battle" with Cedar Point. And all the more NOT to add another ride to the park. More or less both ways. X-Flight did not do much in boosting the attendance percentage over the previous year. The park dropped a whopping 12% from the same time last year. Yikes!

www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/geauga/1029663027173570.xml

CoasterFan4Life
08-21-2002, 05:25 PM
wow kraxle, that hurts!! I would say the reason why, is not the rides. The reason is that when you are in CP, everything feels world class. In SFWOA, even though the park has some quality rides, I just had the feeling something was missing (not to mention the fact that half the rides were closed). All in all, I still had a good time at SFWOA though.

It also can't hurt that CP has such a huge fan base.

James R
08-21-2002, 08:29 PM
AstroWorld better get something....

Chris L
08-21-2002, 08:42 PM
They are...

You know, ShockWave. ;) :) :p

intamin101
08-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Wow, so I guess there is no doubt that these parks will get new rides this year, seeing that there has already been a statement about it.

BryanWood
08-23-2002, 10:21 PM
also MAJOR ride doesn't always mean roller coaster...
Just look at PKI and Tomb Raider. It is a major ride.

raser
09-03-2002, 08:53 PM
I think and this is just my opinion but looking at the past Sf policy of moving a not very popular ride from 1 park to another and remaming it and say "your park is getting a new coaster" I forsee when Shockwave is taken from SFGam and replaced with what I hope is a giant version of x-flight with atleast 12 inversions they will in turn tear down and send Shockwave to SFWoa and rename it to get the Gp to race right down and hop on the tallest coaster in Eastern Ohio.:-)

jetnitro
09-06-2002, 11:00 AM
This is a park that has taken it in the chops this summer. First was the decision to bring wild animals into the park for "photos". Personally, not a good idea. I believe someome was injured while they did these photos. Then there was the whole "No Discounts" thing. I mean,they got the nerve to bump up prices for old people. And dont even get me started on the "ride line" fiasco. We can only hope SFOT will clean up its act for 2003 and maybe be the model park that it should be.