PDA

View Full Version : Steel Venom at Valleyfair-2003

coasterlove
09-03-2002, 12:48 PM
On ScreamScape's website, it was announced that Valleyfair would be build Steel Venom for 2003. It's going to be a Intamin Inverted clone of not WT but instead V2 or S:UE. It will be 185 ft tall and only have a forward twist on it. There was no mention of a break on the back tower though. Top speed will be 68 mph, it didn't say how many seats will be on it either. I'm really surprised that Cedar Fair would clone as ride that is not even at their park. I wonder why they are not building a clone of WT instead. The cost of Steel Venom will be 8.5 million, WT only cost .5 million more at 9 million. Steel Venom will also have bright yellow track and will have periwinke colored supports. Don't worry, they have a link to show you what color periwinkle is: sort of a grey with a hint of purple in it.

Rider
09-03-2002, 03:50 PM
Check out the image for it on their website: http://www.valleyfair.com/public/inside_park/rides/thrill/steelvenom/images/steelvenom_plate5.jpg

Its a picture of Cedar Point. You can even see the Power Tower and CP water tower. They just make the back spike streight, look at how it passes the top suport!!! A real head chopper!

RiFT
09-03-2002, 04:33 PM
The reason Valleyfair is not getting a clone of WT, is simply because Cedar Fair favors Cedar Point, and gives it the best coasters, and the other parks get mini-versions.

Does anyone honestly believe that the CP rocket coaster will be smaller than Xcelerator? That Dorney Park would get an inverted better than Raptor?

No. Cedar Point rules above all others.

SFGadvKing
09-03-2002, 06:38 PM
well i've never ridden raptor, but talon is a hell of a good ride. i agree with you that they give the better stuff to cedar point. but maybe another reason is that wicked twister was having problems so they are trying something differant.

Alex T
09-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Wow, that is one awesome edit job lol. The back spike runs right into a poll and the front one looks pretty goofy too b/c they tried to make it 360 not 4.. You think they would have just made an artist rendering, not edit a cp pic. O well, I'm glad the valley fair! people get something.

Chris L
09-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by RiFT
The reason Valleyfair is not getting a clone of WT, is simply because Cedar Fair favors Cedar Point, and gives it the best coasters, and the other parks get mini-versions.

Does anyone honestly believe that the CP rocket coaster will be smaller than Xcelerator? That Dorney Park would get an inverted better than Raptor?

Yeah. That is why Mamba, Steel Force, and Wild Thing are bigger than Magnum XL-200. That's also why Supreme Scream is taller than Power Tower. And how Perilous Plunge is bigger than Snake River Falls.

And by the way, props to Valleyfair! for coming up with the lamest ride name up-to-date. And I thought Cornball Express was bad. Steel Venom sounds like something a 10 year old kid would name a ride in his RCT game.

Rider
09-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Hey!!!!

My Steel Venom rox!

raser
09-03-2002, 09:14 PM
I like Steel Venom and by the way before you attack the Cornball Express ride it its fun and one thing you can say about the name is you will never ever confuse it with another coaster.

wahooskipper
09-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by RiFT

Well, the reason Knott's didn't get a Magnum is that they have no place to put it. Cedar Fair doesn't "favor" one park over the other. They look at each park individually from a variety of factors to determine the next capital project. Don't you think Cedar Fair would LOVE to have 5 Cedar Points? Of course they would. But, that isn't really feasible now is it?

Halation
09-03-2002, 10:19 PM
I am a little disapointed Valleyfair is not getting the long-rumored B&M inverted. Why do people have post post bull like "Cedar Fair has a contract to purchase three inverteds that Valleyfair, World of Fun, and Dorney Park are getting". I realize they are rumors, but when people post crap like that, like they are in the know, and it turns out to be FALSE....it really pisses me off.

Steel Venom should be cool...but they at least could have made it as big as Wicked Twister, with two twists.

B.T.W. Who's been on W.T? I've been on Superman:the Ultimate Escape, but how does it compare to Wicked Twister?

intamin101
09-03-2002, 10:35 PM
This is purely based on hear-say, but in a trip report, I remember somebody saying that they like the V2 experiance a lot better than WT. He said that the hold was better than twisting backwards. I am not sure, but the ride is really a lot of fun, and it will be a great addition to the park. And the more people it brings in, the bigger the attraction will be for next time they add. It is kinda weird though that there are so many impulses in such a small area. I mean V2, S:UE, WT, and now SV. Weird.

Zmoney88
09-03-2002, 10:40 PM
That's great news for Valleyfair, but why more yellow? After looking at the logo, I think a purple track with black supports would be better.

I think Cedar Fair favors Cedar Point because a lot more people go to cedar Point than other parks. So other parks won't get bigger rides until they are up to Cedar Point standards.

IMO, V-2 is better than WT (Wicked Twister is still a great ride), but the brake on V-2 takes the cake over twisting backwards.

*intamin, I think that was my trip report.

Ruggie
09-04-2002, 06:05 AM
Ya know, ever since I first saw SUE, I've always wondered what that ride would be like. Now I wll have a cheaper chance to find out than to have to go all the way out to Six Flags Great America!!! :D

A summary of stats (Click here (http://www.valleyfair.com/public/inside_park/rides/thrill/steelvenom/svfacts.cfm) to get it from VF's Website):
Height (Of each tower): 185 ft
Max Drop Height: 175 ft
Length: 2600 ft
Speeds:
------ 1st & 2nd Launches: 55 mph
------ 3rd & 4th Launches: 68 mph
--------------- 5th Launch: 62 mph
360 degree Twisting Tower
90 degree Vertical Tower WITH brake!!!
Capacity: About 950 passengers per hour
Train: 7 cars, 4 seats each

Towers are 185 ft high, means we'll be looking DOWN at Wild thing's 3rd hill, making the impulse order as follows:
[list=1]
CP: 215 (1st...big surprise)
SV & V2(Gr Am): 185 (Tied with V2. nice!)
SUE: 180
V2(MW): 150
[/list=1]

The two markings in the parking lot are probably marking where the two main support structures are going. (They are marked "BOX-1" & "BOX-2")

All I gotta say is, it's about time we get an Intiman. Now, about that B&M........ ;)

Chip
09-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Riggie, don't forget the other one at the 185 foot mark: Screaming Condor at Leofoo Village Theme Park, Taiwan. And the one at the 175 foot mark, Linear Gale at Korakuen Amusement Park, Japan.

Ruggie
09-04-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Chip
Riggie, don't forget the other one at the 185 foot mark: Screaming Condor at Leofoo Village Theme Park, Taiwan. And the one at the 175 foot mark, Linear Gale at Korakuen Amusement Park, Japan.

That's Ruggie (I know you didn't mean to misspell), and I was only including the domestic coasters. BUT, if ya want to include them, then...

WT: 215 ft
SV, V2(Gr Am), & SC: 185
SUE: 180
LG: 175
V2[MW]: 150

Medusa1861
09-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Halation
I am a little disapointed Valleyfair is not getting the long-rumored B&M inverted. Why do people have post post bull like "Cedar Fair has a contract to purchase three inverteds that Valleyfair, World of Fun, and Dorney Park are getting". I realize they are rumors, but when people post crap like that, like they are in the know, and it turns out to be FALSE....it really pisses me off.

Steel Venom should be cool...but they at least could have made it as big as Wicked Twister, with two twists.

B.T.W. Who's been on W.T? I've been on Superman:the Ultimate Escape, but how does it compare to Wicked Twister?
I've been on both, And SUE just plain sucks, the holding brake is nothing compared to the screwing off the rear. Wicked Twister all the way! BTW, Steel Venom is an awsome name!

coasterlove
09-04-2002, 04:33 PM
I like the name Steel Venom, it may not be the greatest name in the world but I like it. Venom by it self sounds cool. Anyway, a lot of coasters names sound like it could have come from a kid's RCT game.

Halation
09-04-2002, 07:53 PM
I definately wouldn't say that S:UE "sucks". It definately does NOT. Wicked Twister may be better in your opinion...but give me a break. The ride is incredible (S:UE)

BimmerZ3
09-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Ruggie
Length: 2600 ftUnless they are talking about the total distance traveled during the ride, I have an extremely hard time believeing that the length is 2600ft. I mean look at it, let's just say that the towers are 200 feet for simplicity. Now, that would be 400ft of track, plus the distance between the two towers. Now I figure that it would be the height of the tower AT MOST four times. So that would 1200 ft at the absolute most. Now I think that it is only two times the lenth of the track, so that would be only about 800ft. How does everyone else feel about this?

raser
09-04-2002, 10:17 PM
No, I seee it as this, the 2 towers will be just short of half a mile apart so you can see it go back and forth from anywhere in the park. :-):D

Drewbie
09-05-2002, 09:16 AM
They say on the Valleyfair website that 2600 is the total length of the ride. So that would mean forward, back, forward, back, forward. So says the website.

coasterlove
09-05-2002, 11:13 AM
The track lenght is about 630ft like the rest of the impulse clones (V2,S:UE) 2600ft is the overall ride traveling backwards and forwards over the track 5 times. WT is probably a little longer and has then an overall slightly longer ride.

SKULLY
09-08-2002, 01:03 AM
If only PC could get one of these.:(Well, I hope it's the same colors as the snake, but we all know it's not gonna be WT's colors.Well, I wish that they'd make a WT sized standard impulse.:)That would be great.