PDA

View Full Version : Six Flags Construction for 2003

GAcoasterguy
09-18-2002, 04:53 PM
Just wanted to figure out what park is getting what so far...

The only ones we know for sure are:
SFGAdv--B&M Flyer (I KNOW, because I saw the blue prints!)
Jazzland--B&M B:TR clone from Japan
SFWOA--Morgan Hyper--Is this still on? I haven't heard anything else about it.
SFGAm--B&M Flyer (not positive, but probable)
SFFT--B&M Flyer (rumored)
SFOT--??? (we know something, but not what)
SFMM--Intamin Woodie (rumored)
SFM--Morgan Hyper--already under construction

I'm just wondering if maybe since SFGAdv was originally supposed to get a woodie, and is now getting a flyer, if SFFT, which was supposed to get a B&M flyer is now getting the other Intamin Woodie that Six Flags is supposed to have purchased. I don't see more wood going to SFOT or SFGAm since they each have 2 woodies already, but SFFT could use a woodie since Rattler is their only one. As for SFOG, SFEL, SFAW, SFA, SFMW, I doubt any of them are getting coasters unless Six Flags decides to dust off some of those that were sitting at Old Indiana before they sold the property. Just the ones listed above probably will be the $125 million budget for the year. Anyone know more or have any thoughts?

coasterguy1
09-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Being that it is SFAW's 35th, we are supposed to get something. You will notice SFoG got something big for their 35th, and SFoT got something for theirs also. (either runaway mountain or Mr. Freeze) So I would be inclined to believe that SFAW should get something for their 35th. And I have a very reliable source that has told me some stuff, but telling it to yall would be against my promise.

intamin101
09-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Well SFGAm is definitely getting a B&M coaster and it is either going to be a flyer floorless or another type. That is if the rumors of the track sighting is true (I think it is because it was reported by a mod). But would this make it have the most inverted type rides in one park? Because if you consider a flyer a type of inverted coaster, then they will have 4. Thats a lot. So yeah, superman here we come...

SFgadvfreak
09-18-2002, 10:13 PM
I pretty much agree with GACoasterguy. Ur pretty much right on dude.

Byron
09-18-2002, 10:15 PM
It's starting to look like AW's gonna get another year of Jack: The Ride to me. The only thing I heard is most likely no longer possible.

SFgadvfreak
09-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Dont get ur hopes down HoustonThrills. Maybe when noone is expectng it Six Flags will trick us all and give u guys something big.

intamin101
09-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Or if you don't get your hopes up, you will be really surprised if you do get something big!

coasterlove
09-20-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by intamin101
But would this make it have the most inverted type rides in one park? Because if you consider a flyer a type of inverted coaster, then they will have 4

probably wouldn't matter much if you count it as an invert or not becuase there are three (Batman,V2,Deja Vu) inverted coasters already at SFGAm and that gives them the most of any park now.

coasterguy2002
09-20-2002, 05:11 PM
Here is what I know about SFOT. They are in deep discussion with B&M for a flyer. The project has been dubbed "SUPERMAN", and SF wants to place it next to Batman and Freeze so they can convert Goodtimes Square into DC COMICS. There is a shopping place next to SF called Key West. This property used to belong to SF, and SF is discussing buying it back so that they can build Superman over there. If all goes accordingly, and SF gets Key West, then the station and queue will go over there. Now where will the track travel? One proposed idea is for the track to go back by Freeze and the Mine Trains. Not much land, but enough to do some tricks. The other proposed idea (that I am praying for) is for the coaster to fly over Judge Roy lake. The only problem with that is having to dredge the lake (i.e. $$$$$$$$$) and SF has gotten very cheap. Titan cost more than anticipated. If plans fall through, then there is still discussion with building a Premeir Liquid Coaster over by the rapids. There is a small section of land that could hold the coaster that was proposed a while ago. But SFOT wants to get a new ride for next year, although they could run with Titan for another year.

GAcoasterguy
09-20-2002, 10:59 PM
Six Flags has already said that SFOT will definitely get a new thrill ride (probably a coaster) next year. If they get a clone of SUF (which is likely), it has a small footprint (smaller than B:TR), so it shouldn't be too hard to shoehorn it in somewhere around the park. If they don't get it, maybe they'll just get an Intamin drop tower like Acrophobia, and have it placed where their Air Racer used to be, just like SFOG.

SFgadvfreak
09-21-2002, 09:53 AM
are the six flags parks in Texas open all year??? and SUF has small footprint... I smell tons of clones comming.(i.e. B-TR) I hate clones!!!

Valpengeist
09-21-2002, 11:23 PM
SFoT will definitely be getting some sort of new major attraction next year, but I'm not sure about SFFT... SFAW deserves one, but I don't think anyone can give one good, solid explanation of what's going on.

GAcoasterguy
09-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Now, according to Screamscape, SFOT will get an S&S quad tower in Air Racers old spot. Guess they didn't like Acrophobia as much as I did...

There's just something about that BIG HEAVY vehicle dropping that makes it much scraier than an S&S drop ride!

So, now we just need to know about SFFT, and also whether the hyper is still on for SFWOA. And SFA, and SFMM. I think the others are pretty much write offs for next season (sorry if they are your home parks:( ).

GAcoasterguy
09-24-2002, 10:27 PM
Tonight, the Jackson Township planning board FINALLY approved SFGAdv's flyer, so now construction can begin!

So who wants to make bets on wheteher it's open by April 1st, and whether it's done before SFGAm's flyer (even though they already have track on site)?

intamin101
09-24-2002, 10:38 PM
Why does SFGAm even have track? Has there been anything approved yet? There is some sort of Crain vehicle on Shockwaves site, and the on-ride photo has been removed. I don't want them to take out Shockwave! What will greet us better than the big blue ride that never had a line. Sure gray-outs occured sometimes, but its all part of the experiance! Its not looking good.

SFGadvKing
09-24-2002, 11:12 PM
Why does SFGAm even have track? Has there been anything approved yet?

because stupid jackson township is like that.

What will greet us better than the big blue ride that never had a line.

maybe a big red, yellow and blue flying rollercoaster?

Andrew W
09-24-2002, 11:21 PM
Let me just say, that if Six Flags thinks they can hold the hype of SFA's Batwing over for a third year against PKD's new Drop Zone, and not put anything new infor 2003, then they have something coming to them. I'll give them that 2003 was plenty fine to give the park a break considering both Batwing and Superman were fairly new, and that probably accounts for the 9% increase in park attendence, but if they don't put something in for 2003, they're just asking to get a drop in attendance!

Chris L
09-25-2002, 12:17 AM
The sharp drop in attendance this past quarter was due to three parks that had a decline in patrons, which resulted from the lack of a new crowd-drawing attraction for 2003. As most of you know, each share for PKS plunged 57% after Six Flags, Inc. announced their not being able to meet earning expectations. The three parks that did not perform well as mentioned were Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Over Texas, and Six Flags Great America. Parks firmly reported by Six Flags, Inc. to receieve a major attraction for the 2003 season include Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Six Flags Over Texas, and Six Flags Great America. Those four were mentioned specifically in a press release regarding the disappointing earnings announcement.

They DID mention the total amount of capital that was going to be spent next season. So this does not mean all the other properties will not recieve something. There will be a chance, I guaranteed, that other parks other than SFOT, SFNJ, SFMM, & SFGAm will recieve a new 2003 attraction, roller coaster or not.

http://biz.yahoo.com/smart/020813/20020813one_wond_5.html

SFgadvfreak
09-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Now it is confirmed that they r building a flyer for SFGADV so thats a definate.

AmbersDan
10-02-2002, 06:12 PM
I would to see SFA get something, especially since park population went up this year by about 10 percent, and this is on a year when nothing was built, if guess if they built somthing in 2002 attendance would have really skyrocketted, plus Batwing aint all that great

GAcoasterguy
10-02-2002, 08:11 PM
I think SFA will get something...but not something new. I just have a feeling they will get a transplant from some other park (possibly from SFGAm or SFOG).

Justknows
10-03-2002, 12:44 AM
All us are talking about the MAJOR SF parks but how about the small ones like The Great Escape. Does anyone know about that one and if they are getting something new for the 2003 season?

I know that SF has two years to get all of the rides out of Old Ind. I have a feeling that you will see a lot of new rides in all of the parks over the next two seasons.

wkuswifty
10-09-2002, 10:31 AM
I was told by a park official that SFKK WILL be getting a new coaster this year! I do not know what it is - but he did deny that they are tearing down T2 and moving it to another park. Has anyone heard what SFKK is getting?

AmbersDan
10-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Any chance that SFA may get Shockwave? Personally i hope not, bacause i could go to Jersey and ride GASM. besides WE NEED B&M!

Hey, I just got an idea, What if SFA gets A B&M flyer that duels with Batwing! or even better a six flags special a clone of something

Mod note: Please use the edit button, instead of double posting.

NateHuckabone
10-24-2002, 07:30 PM
That would suck if they got Shockwave.... Does anyone know when Flashback at SFMM was built? I'd like to know....

Chris L
10-24-2002, 09:46 PM
NateHuckabone -

Flashback was moved to SFMM in 1992 from Six Flags Over Georgia, which was relocated from Six Flags Great America in the 80's.

GAcoasterguy
10-28-2002, 01:21 PM
OK, time to recap, I guess...

We KNOW:

SFM- Morgan Hyper
SFGAdv- B&M Flyer
SFGAm- B&M Flyer
SFMM- B&M Floorless
Jazzland- B&M Invert (used)

And I think it's almost definite-
SFOT- S&S towers

Anything else, or is that going to be it for the Flags next year?

CoasterKid23
11-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Does anybody have an idea about my baby SFDL? Anybody?

GAcoasterguy
11-12-2002, 08:30 AM
Now, supposedly:

SFKK is getting Viper from SFOG
SFAW is losing Taz Twister, to be replaced by?

Has anyone heard more on some of the other parks?

fishmish20ish
11-12-2002, 06:11 PM
sskk is auctally getting a new coaster
i was bigining to think that park was better befor it was a six flags i sure think so

GAcoasterguy
11-13-2002, 09:05 AM
Woo Hoo!!!

Finally some more "official" announcements!

SFOT- Tower of Power
SFMM- Press release on Thursday, 11/14
Jazzland- Press release on Thursday, 11/14

Plus- RCDB now confirms that The Great Escape is getting the old Rock-N-Rollercoaster (Mine Train) from Opryland by way of Old Indiana.

Now, when are they FINALLY going to announce SUF for SFGAm?

UPDATE:

2 "new" coasters at Six Flags New Orleans (formerly Jazzland)

Batman the Ride (mirror image clone)
and Mystery 3 inversion coaster...

bigk
11-22-2002, 10:11 PM
The Great Escape is getting the old Mine Train from Opryland that was in storage at Old Indiana: http://rcdb.com/installationdetail2214.htm

No sign of a hyper at worlds of Adventure, sorry.

Worlds of Adv.
12-08-2002, 07:58 PM
A bunch of people have spotted orange Intamin track at SFStL.It may be a larger copy of Goliath at SFH.These are just maybes,nothing official.:)

2Tone Rudeboy
12-11-2002, 01:31 AM
SFA: It would seem a 'transplant' coaster is likely for next year- the park has had capacity issues this past season like none other I remember in the 10 years since Premier (then Frontier Cities inc.) bought them out- lines on some summer days were obscene to say the least...

Here's the problem: The 'blanket approval' from the PG County planning commision was very specific about what would/could be built there. The original permission included a 200 ft. high coaster (S:ROS) and a 135 ft. steel coaster (originally to have been a GA Scorcher clone; changed to the 2nd ed. Vekoma flyer-) a unspecified water ride (Perhaps a replacement for the GodAwful Typhoon SeaCoaster!) as well as a 45ft. tall 'Runaway car ride' (READ: Wild Mouse of some sort) and a Unspecified ride (No specific ride set...) Knowing that SFInc has used a ride rotation programme in the past, it could be said that a transplant would fit the 'unspecified' permission very well- but due to the height restrictions of the area (Andrews AFB has runway markers less than three miles due south of SFA) another 'tall' ride is unlikely- but then again, I thought having a Hyper there would be unlikely...

Now, using a bit of logic: SFA has MASSIVE amounts of land to use- making a sprawling ride possible (A mine train; low to the ground steelie, etc.) as well as terrain differential (in some parts, as much as 50ft...) ALSO KNOWING that SFMW in Vallejo has very little land to build on, they would need a compact, yet still distinct coaster- making the Tornado/Thriller a good fit there (Sad for me, good for my Sister!) and possibly ShockWave at SFA...

Or, if history is any indicator, SFInc could really throw a big suprise in for next season- they did it with BatWing, so why not again? The 125m budget are set as GUIDELINES not as rules- their Annual Report said that- and if case specific spending is any indicator, there may just be a nice suprise next year there...

Leo C
12-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Shockwave @ SFA... I wouldn't think so. It's clone brother GASM is only 3 hrs away in Jersey, SFGADV and near match cousin down in Virginia @ PKD: Anaconda. We have the large Arrow market covered in the Mid-Atlantic

GAcoasterguy
01-07-2003, 12:57 PM
New Year Recap--so far:

SFGAdv- SUF (flying B&M) & Thrill Shot/Sky Sling (according to Screamscape)
SFGAm- SUF (flying B&M)
SFMM- Scream (floorless B&M) & reopen of Thrill Shot/Sky Sling
SFOT- Superman: Tower of Power
SFNO- Batman: The Ride & Jester (Vekoma 3 inversion from SFFT)
SFKK- Greezed Lightnin' (Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop from SFOG)
Great Escape- Runaway Mine Train (from Old Indiana storage)
SFMW- Schwarzkopf 4-loop (from Astroworld)
LaRonde- Wild Mouse and flat rides
Frontier City- Thrill Shot/Sky Sling
Wild Adventures- New S&S Woodie

I can't find anything else yet, but all in all not too bad a year cosidering how little money Six Flags is supposed to be spending.

Byron
01-12-2003, 02:46 PM
SFAW:

It's coming.

SFGAdvkicksass
01-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Well, SF decided to spend 125 million on the 2003 season. As far as I can see it, what we know of so far should cost them about 90-100 million, leaving another 25 million at least. Therefore, I believe that the previous post by HoustonThrills is probably right by saying that SFAW will be announcing a new ride on January 23, because SF still has money to spend. By optimizing the ride rotation system this year, SF has allowed lots of parks to get new rides, and I think they've done a good job. Also, though, don't be upset if your home SF park doesn't get a new ride, because I see a very good year for SF (a good year for all parks nation-wide) and SF will be able to invest a lot more next year. All in all, I think the coaster industry and SF, Inc. is still in good shape.

GAcoasterguy
01-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Now we know SFA and SFAW...new spinning rapids rides...

SFGAdvkicksass
01-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah, well after considering two new spinning rapids rides and re-estimating the prices of what we know so far we might be up to 125 million, which would mean SF 2003 is no longer a mystery. This is going to be a good year, though. Cedar Fairs (CP in particular) will have their best year in the history of their park, and parks like SFGAdv, SFGAm, SFOT, and SFMM will also come back with better years than last year. I expect 2003 to be the revival and breakthrough year for the roller coaster and theme park industry. However, I'm starting to fear that the theme parks like Disney, Universal, etc. will begin to get passed up for the coaster companies like CF, SF, etc.

Byron
02-02-2003, 01:02 AM
AW's getting more than just a spinning rapids ride. They're getting one hell of a flat ride.

GAcoasterguy
02-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Now we also know Xcalibur at SFStl.]

There is a rumor of flat rides at SFNE too.

And, something coming to SFWoA (to be announced)

PAPartRat
02-05-2003, 03:59 PM
from www.gettheloop.com

Six Flags St. Louis to get giant roundup (Feb. 4, 2003; 9:33)
Six Flags St. Louis this spring plans to open Xcalibur, a 64-rider, 113-foot-tall roundup ride originally manufactured by Nauta Bussink of Switzerland. The ride was originally installed at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey as the Evolution.

Themed by Bill Schmiel, Six Flags' corporate director of park design, the ride features 16 gondolas dangling from a giant wheel attached to the end of a pendulum. As the pendulum rises to a height of 113 feet, the wheel spins and the gondolas rotate.

GAcoasterguy
02-11-2003, 11:00 PM
And now to add to the list:

New water slides for SFNE
Six Flags makeover for La Ronde, with several new rides (at least that's what it seems like tomorrow's announcement will be!)
Six Flags makeover for Wild Waves/Enchanted Village (that's what Tom from PTC let slip when he spoke at Eastcoaster)
Sky Swatter and Spinning Rapids ride for SFAW

Overall, it looks to be a pretty good year for most of the Six Flags parks. Considering the budget for new rides this year is about the same as last year, it's pretty amazing so many parks are getting "new" stuff. Of course, it helps that some of it is used equipment from other parks, but it's better than not getting jack like in past years!