PDA

View Full Version : rocket launch cable

cedarpointfreak
09-27-2002, 09:18 PM
ok we all know about rocket coasters using a cable that pulls the train. How about if the cable breaks at the end of the launch ramp, and the coaster doesn't make it all the way up the top hat and starts coming back down. Is there breaks on the launch ramp to prevent it from going 100mph back through the station? It made me wonder cause by looking at MF's incident with breaking cable last year. it could happen

Natelox
09-27-2002, 09:21 PM
yeah probably, but i bet they have some safety system.

Chris L
09-27-2002, 09:41 PM
I thought you guys would know by now. If you observe pictures of Xcelerator (or if you've actual seen the ride in real life) you'll notice that there are copper fins that pop up and down all along the launch flat.

What happens is that when the rolling stock is about to be yanked out by the pulley sytem, these fins that line up in pairs along the launch flat in sets simultaneously pop downwards into the track. The train then takes-off and as it passes each set of the copper fins, they pop back up into place. This is so if there happens to be a short shot, the copper fins will slow the train down. Here are some pics to help you understand what I'm talking about -

www.twistedrails.com/kbf/images/0623/0623-33.jpg

www.twistedrails.com/kbf/images/0623/0623-04.jpg

coaster9freak
09-29-2002, 08:28 PM
I thought everyone knew about the fins...kinda makes me feel smart! j/k Yeah...kraxle pretty much said it

birdie311
09-29-2002, 10:57 PM
What abotu on MF? I never recall hearing any chain dogs clicking away. Maybe i'm just crazy.

intamin101
09-29-2002, 11:40 PM
I beleive I heard that there is an anti-rollback mechanism on the wheels, so it would be impossible for the car to move backwards. But if this is so, how would you go about getting the trains on a transfer track? I really don't know, but thats what I heard.

Kraken
09-30-2002, 07:15 AM
EVERY coaster has safety systems to prevent rollbacks, weather you hear clicking or not. Don't worry about it.

Richard Wilson
10-05-2002, 01:48 AM
The anti-rollback system on Millennium Force is nearly identical to your standard coaster, except for one addition. They use electromagnets to hold the anti-rollback dog up. The current is generated by a generator that runs a wheel along (one or two) flat rails in the centre of the lift hill track. When the train stops moving, the current is lost, and the dog will fall back into place, preventing the train from slipping back. This makes the lift hill silent, and reduces general wear and tear on the train and track, as it is traveling a great deal faster than your average lift hill.

coasterguy1
10-05-2002, 10:30 AM
Ive actually seen Xcelerator misfire. It was almost closing time at Knotts my first day in SOCal and they had been having problems. So they thought they got it back up, and I was on the ramp leading to the station. When they are about to launch, the fins go down. Exactly 5 seconds after that, the train will be launched. After the train clears one section of the fins, they come up. Then the next section, then the next section. Like so:

-------------------------:Before launch
|||||||||||--------------:One section cleared
|||||||||||||||||--------:Next section cleared
|||||||||||||||||||||||||:Last section cleared

Something like that. Except it does it in a few seconds. Anyway, when I saw the misfire, it worked pretty well except the fins were coming up to quickly. It barely cleared the first two, and then the 3rd set came up while the train was still on, slowing it down just enough so that it got to the top but not over. It came back down the top hat with the brakes up, and they slowed it down immediately. Then the train slowly rolled back to the station. Needless to say, I didnt get another ride.

Andrew W
10-05-2002, 06:21 PM
Thats also why the launch hill is at a slight upward angle. If there is a roll back and the fins stop the train, they can get it back into the station by simply raising and lowering the fins. That way, the train will roll back into the station instead of having to be pushed into the station.

CPFan
10-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by intamin101
I beleive I heard that there is an anti-rollback mechanism on the wheels, so it would be impossible for the car to move backwards. But if this is so, how would you go about getting the trains on a transfer track? I really don't know, but thats what I heard.

Well, I am assuming you are talkign about Millennium Force, so I can answer that question.

If you are as lucky as I am and get the last train of the night, two nights in a row, you might have first hand experience at how they do this sort of thing. If you happen to be on the last train, they will stop it on the block brakes and you have to exit the train there (make sure you don't exit to the left!). They do this because there isn't enough weight on an empty train for it to complete the whole course. Therefore, there is one train in the loading station, one in the unloading station, and one on the brakes. The first train will head to the transfer track, while the other two move forward. And there you have it.

rob85
10-08-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by CPFan

Well, I am assuming you are talkign about Millennium Force, so I can answer that question.

If you are as lucky as I am and get the last train of the night, two nights in a row, you might have first hand experience at how they do this sort of thing. If you happen to be on the last train, they will stop it on the block brakes and you have to exit the train there (make sure you don't exit to the left!). They do this because there isn't enough weight on an empty train for it to complete the whole course. Therefore, there is one train in the loading station, one in the unloading station, and one on the brakes. The first train will head to the transfer track, while the other two move forward. And there you have it.

I doubt that it is true that they let you off on the brakes on the last ride because if it's not able to make it around the track without people on it how in the world do they test the ride. I know that MF has gotten vallyed before but not all the time. I am sure that the trains have enough momentum to make it around the track. Why would Intamin make a coaster that they cannot test.

CPFan
10-08-2002, 09:25 PM
If you have ever been on the coaster, you might have noticed little white dummies on the unloading platform. Why, I wonder what these are for?

Trust me, this is what happens. If you don't believe me, fine. Go ask one of the ops next time you go to the point.

And yes, they do let you off on the brakes right before you enter the unloading station. The ops have to manually unlock the lapbars. Next you exit to the right of the train and walk to the unloading platform. While walking, you must hold on to the blue railing (if this wasn't true, how would I know all of these details?).

Trust me on this one.

NateHuckabone
10-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Magnetic Brakes people.............

intamin101
10-20-2002, 12:48 PM
Yes I was talking about MF, because if you actually take the time to read the posts, then you would see that the post directly above mine says what about MF. Then after Krakens post, Richard explained how it works.

But CPFan, that is pretty cool how they let you off at the brakes at night. Almost as cool as getting off Deja Vu on the vallying platform before the 2nd tower ;)

RoboBOBO13
10-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Speaking of brakes, MF has train-mounted fins and Xcelerator and the new coaster have track-mounted fins. Are the magnets actually on the trains or what? And if so, how do they control braking speed?:devil:

intamin101
10-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Yes the magnets are mounted on the trains. They find out, with calculations, how fast the train will slow down before they install them. The system is fool proof, because there are no moving parts. To make the train not stop, somebody would have to rip the fins off the track.

coasterguy1
10-20-2002, 10:56 PM
the fins do go up and down to let the train stop then go. but even if power went out, im sure there is a backup generator to get the train stopped.

avalancheboy
10-21-2002, 07:02 AM
yeah seriously...i mean these days technology is great...magnents are used for everything..lol

Hector
10-21-2002, 07:33 AM
You know, probably the best thing about permanent Magnet's (like those on Xcelerator's trains) is that they need no power. Obviously the fins don't need power (were is the motor on MF's trains?) so, the system is virtually fail proof, unless the magnet's suddenly become uncharged.

Chip
10-21-2002, 12:35 PM
...unless the magnets suddenly become uncharged.
And that just ain't gonna happen. They're rare Earth magnets and they'll probably last another 2,000 years or something. If not that long, another 100, and I think that's long enough to ensure the safety of these rides.

Hector
10-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Would it have been better if I did this :rolleyes:

Obviously the fins don't need power (were is the motor on MF's trains?) so, the system is virtually fail proof, unless the magnet's suddenly become uncharged.

I think you get the point of that statement now.

Cid
10-31-2002, 11:08 AM
i think its a good thing the industry is getting off of lims and moving on to other launching techniques. lims are now slow compared to the new innovations, and use to much freakin electricity. has anyone else noticed that while wicked twister is accelerating every speaker playing music in the area all the way to the little kiddie area becomes scratchy. i think thats why they didn't bother putting quality speakers in the que.

Andrew H
10-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Cid, The park uses great speakers... but when you have enough power to power a small town shoot trough the circuit, no matter how good the speakers are, cracks will be heard.

CPFan, You kidding right? If Millennium Force can't make it around with empty trains, then why, in the last three years, have I seen 20+ EMPTY trains complete the corse with no problem. Trust me, MF can clear the track fine without anything in the train. Yes, for the first run each morning, they put the dummies in, because Intamin rides are very tempermental and because its a policy at the Force. Yes, you may have got out on the brakes because of tech. problems but not because the train can't make it around.

Hector, why would there be a motor on Millennium Force's trains? Intamin 'Giga' or 'Hyper' trains used the same brake fins that are mounted on the track for CP's new ride or Xcelerator. The whole system, for both types of rides, don't need power what so ever.

coasterguy1, I'm pretty sure the brake system for Xcelerator is just like the common-used PTC brake design - where the brakes need power TO OPEN - and their set position is closed. Arrow brakes are different... but thats a different story.

- Andrew

RoboBOBO13
10-31-2002, 11:20 PM
I thought MF's brakes were magnetic, but controllable in some way. They are controlled by a computer which leaves the magnets on until the train needs to pass into the station. Xcelerator's magnets are inside the train, underneath. The fins, instead of being on the sides of the train like Intamin Mega/Giga trains, are coming out of the track in two rows. These fins are also on the brake run and come up after the train goes by. This systems totally uncontrollable, and the braking speed and such is constant. Once the train goes through the brake run, it is probably still going 10mph, and never stops until wheels under the track stop it. You can see a lot of these wheels in the parking lot photos. But the magnets are not electromagnets. They are of a constant charge and cannot be adjusted. The only reason that the train does not get stuck on the brake run if there is a problem is that those fins can be retracted, but the brake run's fins are stationary.:devil: