PDA

View Full Version : X as a flyer?

Goliathlete
01-21-2003, 11:34 PM
I hope this hasn't been posted yet... Iwas just wondering what X would be like as a flying coaster. It probably wouldn't be that great because you wouldn't be as disoriented. Anyways, I was obviously bored; post your replies!

Chip
01-22-2003, 12:16 AM
You're not a member of ACN, are you? ;) :devil:

I think it would be pretty cool as a flyer, but the Gs at the bottom of the drop and rise into the first raven turn might be a little intense on persons lying down. It would have a lot of flying time, though.

G-Farce
01-22-2003, 08:44 AM
I always thought that on X's first drop you should be sitting strait up, so its like a freefall ride, then as the drop ends you rotate into a flying possition.

Marcus
01-22-2003, 11:06 AM
I think it would be kewl if they switched the trains backwards, so that the train would still respond to the 4D rails, just react in a different way, giving X a new feel, to riders that know every thrill of it

SKULLY
01-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by CeDaRPoInTzTeR
I think it would be kewl if they switched the trains backwards, so that the train would still respond to the 4D rails, just react in a different way, giving X a new feel, to riders that know every thrill of it

Ummm, they are backwards.Anyways, it would be an even less intense ride at the bottom of the drop on your backs.The restraints couldn't hold you comfortably in the flying position, though.And not enough flying time in my honost opinion.

Chris L
01-22-2003, 06:21 PM
I think he meant switch it backwards from the way it is operating currently.

And I don't understand what this thread means by having X as a flyer.

Richard Wilson
01-22-2003, 06:39 PM
My interpretation of it, was: ditch the X rails, and have the trains in a fixed position for the ride.

I've always thought that X looks like the best flying coaster out there. It seems to demonstrate the idea of flight and freedom much better than what B&M or Vekoma (or Zamperla, if you want to go that far) have built. Those raven turns look amazing in particular, and I think they'd be great on other 'traditional' flying coasters.

Though, if the X style of seating was used (without) rotating, I think it'd be the best 'traditional' flyer. Think of a ground-hugging turn, imagine being in the left-most seat for a left curve, banking closer to the ground.

Chris L
01-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Yikes. Ditching the 4th rails and having the seats fixed in a permanent position while navigating the current track layout? :eek:

The people would probably knocked out, if not killed. X's layout was designed according to the rotation of the seats and how the riders experience the forces.

And I wouldn't classify X as a type of "flying" coaster so-to-speak. I've done X and the Vekoma Flyers and they are in no way similar. On X, you don't get as much of a "flying" sensation, but more of a suspended in mid-air doing acrobatics sensation.

SKULLY
01-22-2003, 07:04 PM
I always wanted to see a 4D with free flipping trains.Oh well, maybe Set Pointe will pull it off.It may not be as intense of spins, or may be more intense, but not painful.However, it would always be a dif. ride which is what I wanted from X.

G-Farce
01-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by SKULLY
I always wanted to see a 4D with free flipping trains.Oh well, maybe Set Pointe will pull it off.

Yeah...I always thought a short slower free spinning 4D would be awsome...and cheapers than a SLC.

And I just realized that if I were ever in a position to build a coaster I would so give Set Pointe a call. They really need a chance to build a ride and show the world what they are made of.

SKULLY
01-22-2003, 08:28 PM
They have only built the Swing Things so far.They are fun, but I wish parks would give them a chance.They could do to the Industry what B&M has done to it if given a chance.

G-Farce
01-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Those twin racing coasters alone would set the GP on fire...not to mention the enthusiasts.

Richard Wilson
01-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Sorry, I didn't make that entirely clear. I basically meant to build a flying coaster with fixed 4D-style train (i.e outside the track), not to use the current X layout.

ride6
01-24-2003, 04:49 PM
The X layout (properly modified) For flying would be stupentius! WAY better than Batwing (on the others iwill not comment). 4-D style trains fixed in the flying position would also be cool. I still haven't given up (completely) on my X-ish ride where the train ALWAYS remains upright. It would take some Killer engineering but it would really rock!

SKULLY
01-24-2003, 06:41 PM
The thing I would hate about that layout as a flying and the Vekoma flying coasters in they don't spend enough time flying.If it's over 50% flying, then it's a flying coaster.If not, then it's a laydown.And I would consider X a laydown.It's the main reason I perfer B&M flying coasters to the Koma ones.They actaully fly.

ride6
01-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I could tell that one by the layout. B&M also has a truely unque invertion with the pertizle loop.

may the FORCE be with you
01-25-2003, 12:20 AM
I think free spinning cars on X would be a terrible idea. I believe the 4 rails allow for so many new things, new things that I'm sure only few of us have ever imagined, that free spinning couldn't do.

SKULLY
01-25-2003, 01:30 AM
It also only allows for the same ride on a single ride every time.

RCT loser
01-25-2003, 04:18 PM
free spinning-why thats a bad idea

at top of first drop, you go upside down, head down
at pull out, you stay that way, -4.5G's
you die

ride6
01-25-2003, 06:39 PM
RST loser is right. X would make a good flyer (properly engeneered) but it would be Very risky to run free spinning cars on it.

SKULLY
01-25-2003, 07:54 PM
But, what are the chances the cars would stay upside down on the drop?I mean, if you make them much heavier on the bottom, they're sure to keep on swinging but get you on your butt during the bottom.So what I am saying is the car would flip around if engineered like this.The chances of it not are the chances of a bobsled flying off the track.

I was really dissapointed when I learned X wasn't free spinning, and I still am.It could be done, and how do we survive Zipper's then.ANYONE?

DEJA-VU RULES
02-03-2003, 04:36 PM
The X is not a flyer it is a 4D coaster it says so at SFMM.com it does not say any thing about flying.:D

ride6
02-03-2003, 08:12 PM
We know that Deja-Vu Rules. We're saying IF X was a flyer how good/ bad would it be and dicussing it.

iamwind
02-09-2003, 12:42 AM
x would not make a good flying coaster. Why ruin its magic?