PDA

View Full Version : Kennywood 2003

Zombo
02-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Kennywood has some new stuff in store this year. Their redesigned website (http://www.kennywood.com/ps.cfm) mentions "Volcano Valley featuring King Kahuna", but doesn't say anything else about it. Check out the logo for King Kahuna . . . a blue swirl. That strongly suggests a water ride to me, maybe one of those spinning rapids rides that are popping up all over this year? Volcano Valley just sounds like a new section of the park, although not the sort of theme you'd expect from Kennywood.

Anyone have any other guesses or hard information to share?

G-Farce
02-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Spinning rapids is a pretty good guess. I'd call Vegas and see what the odds are. Maybe we can get in on that action.

Leyna
02-24-2003, 02:14 PM
King Kahuna is a top spin that Kennywood acquired from another park. It is located where the restrooms were by the enterprise. The enterprise also has been rethemed and is now called "Volcano". Not sure what else is new.

BryanWood
02-24-2003, 02:25 PM
King Kahuna is the Top Spin from their sister park, Lake Compounce in Bristol, Conn. They are supposedly moving the Noah's Ark restrooms to where the putt-putt was, and adding King Kahuna in the spot vacated by the restrooms. Enterprise is also to be re-themed for Volcano Valley.

Zombo
02-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Well, at least I was very vaguely on the right track. It spins, and could potentially be a water ride. Any idea if it's a wet Top Spin? Water jets seem to be the norm for them these days, but there's no mention of water in the ride description.

Hmm, per the website there are only three rides in Volcano Valley: King Kahuna, Volcano, and the Pirate. The Pirate was already very nicely themed, so this should be a good-looking area.

DyingDutchman
02-24-2003, 05:48 PM
If they do get it, it's probably all they're getting this year. All I know is this: I haven't made it up to KennyWood yet, and some lame water ride certainly isn't going to get me up there. Im a coaster enthusiast, not a water bunny!

BryanWood
03-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by DyingDutchman
If they do get it, it's probably all they're getting this year. All I know is this: I haven't made it up to KennyWood yet, and some lame water ride certainly isn't going to get me up there. Im a coaster enthusiast, not a water bunny!

The coasters at Kennywood are a lot of fun, and skipping he park because of a Top Spin is ridiculous. Phantom's Revenge is one of the best steelies out there, not to mention 3 classic woodies that are tons of fun. They also have a Zamperla Hawk, Reverchon Indoor Spinning Coaster, Intamin Drop Tower, a 101 year old dark/water ride, and one of two Noah's Arks left in the world. That is PLENTY of reason to go to this park. Not to mention it's inexpensive, cheap but good food and has one of the scariest Skycoasters around.

kermat13
03-04-2003, 03:28 PM
At Coasterbash this past weekend we learned that the enterprise will be put inside of a crater and “explode” out of the top with a new paint job, lights and fog. Pirate ship is themed so that is done. There was also mention of a water feature but no details give. Bathrooms are supposed to be moved, I can’t remember but I think she said where the stage was last year. We should have seen this coming since the Pirate Ship was re-themed and the addition of a fish stand.

They also mentioned the whole park, with the exception of Lost Kennywood, would be open for Phantom Fright Nights with the addition of a new “hunted house” to be added by the pavilions behind Kiddie Land. This would be themed as a battlefield. That’s all I can remember.

BryanWood
03-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Also, they said that Tbolt will be open during PFN, more themeing will be added to Pirate, and Noah's Ark will be "haunted" for PFN.