PDA

View Full Version : RCDB - SFGADV old pics update

SFGadvKing
02-24-2003, 08:41 PM
im not sure when this happened but i just noticed today that RCDB updated its SFGADV old rollercoasters pictures. they have some awesome pics. i really like seeing how the park used to look before i've ever seen it. its cool seeing all the changes the park went through. here are the links to the pictures:

sarajevo bobsled - http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery493.htm

shockwave - http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery52.htm

ultra twister - http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery45.htm

lightning loops - http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery585.htm

birdie311
02-24-2003, 08:47 PM
That bobsled coaster loos like the one that used to be at Opryland: Screamin Delta Demon

James
02-24-2003, 09:40 PM
they had like50% of the old pics up back in dec..and the "newer" ones night time bobs and 2more LL like in late Jan... i saw them before.. i like the UT was and Shockwave ones:)

slipknot8527
02-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Speaking of Shockwave, On RCDB they have ap ic of "Shockwave" back in 87 at SFMM and it looks FUN! It is a clone of Batman, and is an intamin standup...hell, it might BE Batman!

coasterguy1
02-24-2003, 11:50 PM
it is Batman. It looks very good in that picture. Thank god that Batman is getting a paint job this season. It is pretty fun. A nice airtime hill and a fun, heavily banked 360 turn.

Leo C
02-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Those pics are awesome! Even though I'd consider Shockwave a lil tame now since it only has 1 inversion, I really wish I was old and tall enough to ride the thing in the 80s. I've heard people talk about it like it had some legendary status when it stood there. With Lightnin Loops, I'm guessing the higher one became Python when it was @ Adventure World (SFA).

James
02-25-2003, 01:30 PM
the otherpart of LLs ended up at FC...
and at sfa you can still see it laying in the grass next to batwing....
cause the paek took it down when they put in 2Face

BimmerZ3
02-25-2003, 11:10 PM
I think I've seen the first two Bobsled pics, but not the last one.

Those Shockwave pics are really cool. The first one kinda reminds me of GA Scorcher, although I'm sure Scorcher is better :D

The Ultra Twister pictures are also incredible. I've always loved the concept of this ride, and it's awesome to see it with the original verticle lift.

I've also allready seen the first two Lightning loops pics. That is a really interesting concept for a ride. Does anyone know if they would duel the rides so that they would pass through the loops at the same time? That would be incredible.

musicfreak
02-25-2003, 11:21 PM
I would definitely say that Ultra Twister is one of the better creations TOGO offers.

That Intamin stand-up, that was before the B&M stand-ups, right? I remember Vortex at PGA and PC came around 92' and Iron Wolf at SFGAm was a year before that, but when did the Intamin get built and why was it like the only one?

DyingDutchman
02-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by sfne stinks
the otherpart of LLs ended up at FC...
and at sfa you can still see it laying in the grass next to batwing....
cause the paek took it down when they put in 2Face

Whenever I go to SFA, I make it a point to look for it... almost brings tears to my eyes, knowing that it may never again thrill another rider :'(

Chris L
02-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by musicfreak
I would definitely say that Ultra Twister is one of the better creations TOGO offers.

That Intamin stand-up, that was before the B&M stand-ups, right? I remember Vortex at PGA and PC came around 92' and Iron Wolf at SFGAm was a year before that, but when did the Intamin get built and why was it like the only one?

That one opened as ShockWave at Magic Mountain in '87 and went on to run at Great Adventure from '90-'92 under the same name, then sent off to AstroWorld, where it still operates, under the name Batman The Escape.

Why was it the only one? Probably since B&M entered the market around the same time and produced stand-ups with more appealing designs that what Intamin had to offer. There are more Intamin stand-ups around than you think. Just to name a few off the top of my head, there's La Ronde's Cobra, Drayton Mayor's ShockWave (only stand-up with heartline).

SFstinks
02-26-2003, 03:51 PM
I don't understand... why would a park build a coaster, and then opperate it for only two years before shipping it to another aprk? That makes no sence to me what so ever. Could the even financially get their money back from a stunt like that? WHy would they send it to two parks in 5 years, and then let it rust away unloved in Texas (that ride needs a repaint bably).

I admit that I often am confused by Six Flags and their decisons- but this takes the cake.

slipknot8527
02-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Well, I dont know if the beemers were more appealing..If I had the chance to ride Shockwave, or Iron wolf or the two Vortexes, I would ride Shockwave any day!

Amy
02-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SFstinks
I don't understand... why would a park build a coaster, and then opperate it for only two years before shipping it to another aprk? That makes no sence to me what so ever. Could the even financially get their money back from a stunt like that? WHy would they send it to two parks in 5 years, and then let it rust away unloved in Texas (that ride needs a repaint bably).

I admit that I often am confused by Six Flags and their decisons- but this takes the cake.

At that time SF had some kind of ride exchange program...the rides would go from park to park for a few years at a time and circulate. Each park would get a "new" coaster every couple of years. I mean I guess it wasn't a HORRIBLE program...but I'm def. fonder of keeping a coaster in one park.

I rode the bobsled where it currently is, at The Great Escape in Lake George. I can't believe it is that old...it rides nicely, and its a fun little ride.

musicfreak
02-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Amy's correct on the ride rotation program. Also, SF is currently starting that up again with some of it's coasters, such as the now dismantled Shockwave at SFGAm. It's very cost efficient, especially when you have several parks. Instead of giving say the top 3 or 4 parks a new coaster every 2 years, that adds up to 9-12 coasters being built in a 6 year period. Instead, if you have a ride rotation program, you get a new coaster at your local amusement park every 2 years and Premiere Parks only has to buy 3 or 4 coasters, and that lasts you for up to 8 years, again depending on if you got 3 or 4 coasters. This also helps the problem of land consumption. Some parks only have so much room before they can't build outward anymore.

SFGadvKing
02-26-2003, 08:43 PM
and also the GP thinks its a brand new ride, they have no idea its been at other parks. heck even if they paint it a new color they think its a new ride.

Leo C
02-27-2003, 10:21 AM
The old bobsleds now @ Great Escape are great. If it wasn't for lil standup Shockwave, GASM may have become Shockwave with blue track like its counterpart that was located @ SFGAM. To me, Shockwave @ SFGADV seems legendary but I'm kind of glad that it didn't stand around for long because I would have dissed it eventually. It would stand like the Togo Shockwave @ PKD , all medieval, kind of outdated. It takes a beating in Texas with some of its reviews.

slipknot8527
02-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Well, the most interesting thing about these early inta standups, they look so modern! (minus the trains) I mean, those graceful curves and such is pretty amazing considering the technology.... Only Anton was rivaling that smoothness...but wasnt it the same guy doing both companies? SWerner Stengel or something....hes a genius!

Leo C
02-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Was Lightnin Loop's painted white? It's hard to tell. The wear and tear with rust makes it looks gray in the pics.