PDA

View Full Version : Super Woodie

davidhinds84
03-18-2003, 04:25 PM
It turns out that Alton Towers in the UK home of Nemesis, Oblivion, and AIR (worlds first flying rollercoaster ;)), will also be the home to a new wooden rollercoaster being built for 2005... what makes this one different to many others is the fact it might only have a small lift hill of around 90ft max, but it will drop in to the valley which drops as far as 200ft, making a total drop of around 300ft maximum... how much is used is uncertain, the ride will however feature 2 lift hills and will be very long in length photos of the plans available at http://www.towerstimes.co.uk what does everyone think?

Tommy
03-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Alton Towers has submitted plans for wooden coasters before, and, of course, they've all been rejected. Also, I thought they were absolutely not allowed to build in the valley. All and all doesn't sound very likely.

Skye
03-18-2003, 05:45 PM
well the valley is quite long. In the park it is home to landscaped gardens but the other end between air and corkscrew is just woodland i think. It sounds awesome though...has anyone done a 3d pic of what it could look like? i just don't see the layout on 2d plans.
Also, 2005 is an odd time...usually its every 4 years. but they wouldn't put them in this early probably for 2006. It could be 2004, but the plans are a bit LATE for that. I just hope that it isn't "scaled-down" quietly if the first plans are rejected.

coasterguy1
03-18-2003, 07:32 PM
sounds like it'll be good if it goes through. a Wooden coaster would certainly round out Alton Towers' ride line up. Hope the planning board doesnt reject it.

ride6
03-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Well it looks pretty good. A woodie would round out Alton Towers Collection quite nicely. Unfortionently this larg of a ride probably won't happen. I may turn in to a B&M Speed coaster REAL quick. I just don't see Alton Towers being allowed to build a woodie of that size.
I would probably be a better (smoother at least) ride in steel.

Ste
03-19-2003, 09:39 AM
The only difference as far as planning permission goes would probably be noise and appearance - a woody would blend in better, and they've submitted data on noise levels from megaphobia (wales) to show that sound shouldn't be a problem. Basically if they deny the application to build a woodie they probably wont accept a steel coaster of the same layout just because it's steel.

As for the ride, well it looks like a great idea but unfortunately I think the chances of anything happening are slim. Though if they did build it the UK would see two huge coasters for 2005, which I'm all for :cool:

Skye
03-19-2003, 05:46 PM
which is the other?

ride6
03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Really.. What is the other?

Is Blackpool due or something?
Anyway I just don't see a woodie of that size happening at AT.

It's a bummer but I don't. I could see a ride maby half that size but THAT big of a woodie might be too much to push for. Just IMO though.

Byron
03-20-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by davidhinds84
AIR (worlds first flying rollercoaster ;))

???

Steve Batchelor
03-20-2003, 04:46 AM
AIR was the worlds first flying roller coaster...of the B&M flavour of course.

Tommy
03-20-2003, 06:15 AM
I've changed my mind a bit... it's still very unlikely to happen and we really shouldn't get our hopes up BUT: An Intamin plug 'n' play solves issues of noise and maintenance, which I think I remember reading were big issues in previous AT wooden coasters being rejected. And the plug 'n' play system allows large woodies to be built that are smooth. Finally, I take it then that there's no outright ban on building in the particular part of the valley cited, just in the gardens bit. So, there's a chance! Albeit a small one.

Fastardo
03-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Sounds good to me. I'll be a believer.

Did the question of "the other" 2005 coaster get answered?

slipknot8527
03-20-2003, 08:29 AM
well, I think it sounds like a good layout due to the terrain..but it would be much better as a steel coaster due to the OW factor heard on Son Of Beast.

Steve Batchelor
03-20-2003, 08:39 AM
This won't make much sense unless you've been to Alton Towers but you can imagine diving down into the valley and back up the other side??? How cool will that be. It's just a shame they didn't use that route for AIR, a flyer doing that would be incredible. :eek:

Ste
03-20-2003, 10:38 AM
It's blackpool (2005 or 2006)

Skye
03-21-2003, 05:52 PM
well, yeah but thats a rumour. i'll believe it when i see it.