PDA

View Full Version : Astroworld Review - memorial day 2001

Guapy
06-14-2001, 01:49 PM
This is a review i wrote for an astroworld website a week ago. I am interested to see what everyone thinks.
<BR>
<BR>I submitted a review a while back about a trip I took on memorial day to your beloved park, astroworld. First of all, let me say that i have always been a big fan of the park and it holds a lot of wonderful childhood memories for me. However, the events of memorial day left a lot to be desired.
<BR>
<BR>I pulled up to the park at around 10:15, with my girlfriend, and the excitement began to build as we crossed the bridge over the interstate. (Such a cool way to get into the theme park. It's just too bad there are no longer trams.) As we went to get our tickets, we saw some unwelcomed information. Three major rides were closed; Texas tornado, the cyclone, and thunder river. My favorite two coasters and the big wet ride! We were so upset but we figured that there are other good rides and we could still have a good time. Well...
<BR>
<BR>(I will rate on the Griswald scale -3 - +5)
<BR>
<BR>SERIAL THRILLER
<BR>This was our first attempt at a ride. As the parked opened we rushed to the line, only to find it closed. Of course, none of the workers came down to tell the paying customers what was going on. We heard that through the line. After about 20 minutes we left to go ride viper and returned later, and waited for an hour. I really do like this ride, although you do bump your head around a bit. I wish my homepark Jazzland would get one of these.
<BR>
<BR>Rating +3
<BR>
<BR>VIPER
<BR>A very underrated ride. A good starter coaster that is very smooth. I love the tunnel. The short line was also welcome.
<BR>
<BR>Rating +3
<BR>
<BR>OZARKA SPLASH (I liked bamboo shoot better-sounds dumb now!)
<BR>Another long line. They were only working one side. Why on memorial day when half the rides are closed? I do love this log flume however. A nice brisk pace with some nice surroundings.
<BR>
<BR>Rating +4
<BR>
<BR>XLR8
<BR>Another good starter coaster. My girlfriend loved it. I always remember my parents liking this one too when I was little. Very smooth and how could you ever demolish such an historic ride?
<BR>
<BR>+2
<BR>
<BR>GREEZED LIGHTNIN
<BR>I love this ride! What a classic! Although, it was the longest wait I have ever had for this ride. The ride attendant on the speakers was also very annoying. Everyone was yelling shutup because she would repeat herself 5 times very loudly.
<BR>
<BR>Rating +4
<BR>
<BR>BATMAN
<BR>What a mess! We walked up to the line and I realized the entrance had moved because of the closure of the batcave. Everyone was just sitting around at the entrance and people were walking the opposite direction, not a good sign. We walked ahead anyway and no one knew where to go. Some were using the handicapped entrance and there were kids running all through the fields. Even worse was the fact that they were running only one coaster that was half full. We turned around and headed to Ultra twister. What the hell is going on? I remember when BATMAN opened and you could walk through the batcave, then the tunnel, and then into the park section that was groomed. There were workers for crowd control and others selling drinks. Batman was a cool well- themed ride. Now it is an embarrassment.
<BR>
<BR>Rating -5 (A DISGRACE)
<BR>
<BR>ULTRA TWISTER
<BR>I think this is a very interesting ride and although the queue house was full, I told my girlfriend I had waited in this length line before and it would take about 45 minutes so we waited. Well...it took about an hour longer than I expected. Even worse was that there was a fight in the middle of the line. A nice gentleman pointed it out to one of the workers and he was ignored. WHERE IS THE CROWD CONTROL? Everyone was pushing around everyone. Why aren't workers telling patrons to get down off of the bars! I remember when they were pretty strict about this at the park. And what about the TV's. They used to work and show cartoons and people actually watched them. Now they are stupid decorations. I don't understand. The restraints on the ride seemed sorta worn down and I hurt my shoulders.
<BR>
<BR>Rating -1
<BR>
<BR>We decided to leave after Ultra Twister because we were disgusted. Why only one train on a coaster when you have so many rides closed on a holiday? There were a couple of other rides closed through most of the day, tidal wave and the railroad.
<BR>
<BR>Food was overpriced and we stood in line for a half an hour in a line of three people, poor service.
<BR>
<BR>The bathrooms were disgusting.
<BR>
<BR>And there really weren't many people at the park. The thoroughfares were pretty open. There was just nothing to ride. All astroworld has is roller coasters.
<BR>
<BR>It was a disappointing day to say the least. I had a great time with my girlfriend, but it was a shame that she couldn't see the Astroworld I saw when I was younger. I am glad i could come home to a new clean park like jazzland that has a polite hard working staff and a FUTURE.
<BR>
<BR>Tony DiCarlo

commontator
06-15-2001, 09:59 AM
I have been to AstroWorld once, and once was enough.

squeemu
06-15-2001, 11:24 AM
Man, the Cyclone is the best ride there. Too bad you missed it. Probably one of the park's main redeeming aspects. I missed the Texas Tornado, though, as it was closed, so who knows. People tend to rip on this park a little too much. Sure it is run poorly, and most of the rides suck, but there are fun rides, and I had a pretty good time there. If I was in Houston again, I would definitely visit.