PDA

View Full Version : June 03 Discussion

Rebel2000
06-01-2003, 09:27 PM
All discussion about the June contest goes here. Discuss away!

intamin101
06-01-2003, 10:19 PM
I just have to say that anyone that submits a park for this TNPP is really lucky. I won the last TNPP and I think its safe to say I got SCREWED. Andy locked the topic after voting was over, so no one even got to comment on the park. So thanks Rebel for doing this... I think that we should have a web page for the winner along with screens and a review, kind of like how NE, Danimation, and nearly every other RCT sight does it. People work hard on these things, and after my last experience, it felt like I wasted my park.

Andy Hodgson
06-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Um, check again. I locked the voting thread, not the discussion thread. Locking the voting thread right after the official end keeps people from voting and altering the outcome. Discussion would be expected in a thread labeled 'Discussion' anyways, not a thread labeled 'Voting'. So saying that I locked the thread and it kept people from commenting on your park is pointless. People can still download that park from the link you have, in fact, you can repost the link in General Talk or somewhere else on the internet and people will still be able to download. You got your avatar like you wanted, and you still have it, so I don't see how you got 'SCREWED' out of that. If I didn't do as much as NE did, then I'm sorry, but they have more than one person helping on a contest, and the site is centered around the spotlight contest.

intamin101
06-02-2003, 12:15 AM
I didn't expect you to. You didn't seem like you cared about the contest anyway. I don't blame you, but the last few TNPPs have been weak. And the only reason we got avatars was because we had to ask a bunch of times. I guess it was that in the past, winning TNPP meant something, and I hope it can again...

Valpengeist
06-02-2003, 05:23 PM
OK! ::insert cat meowing and hissing:: Let's all calm down.

TNPP used to be a great contest- after all, with Natelox, Butterfinger, TXCG1, and all the rest of them, it made for a very good contest.

However, I think between these forums' downtime and NE and RCT Station's rise, we lost a lot of interest in the contest.

December's TNPP was highly anticipated, and even though there were only five submissions (and everyone placed), it was a pretty good contest. However, there used to be 8-9 entries, and there was a lot more attention and care toward the event compared to the recent one.

At that point in time, I was not allowed to d/l parks, so I never reviewed any of the others. If you want reviews now, post it at NE- post it at CBuzz- the Marketplace- rct2.com---- Anywhere, really! I think MikeCR2K (lol) posted some old castle park (Coventry Castles?) at the Station, and I don't know how many reviewed it, but at least he posted elsewhere for commentary.

Now, between Intamin, MikeCR2K, Ride6, SFGadvKing, CKMWM, ryanb, myself, and others, and if we advertise the contest a bit more, TNPP might reach the level it once was.

As for myself, after some minor adjustments, I do plan on entering Mision de Diversiones, so you can mark it down as an entry for TNPP June 2003.

If I don't get satisfactory reviews, I'm going to post it at Coasterbuzz, New Element, and the Marketplace anyway. Between these four places, I'm sure I won't need to worry about a lack of commentary.

I'll shut up now. ;) :D

-Valpengeist

SFGadvKing
06-02-2003, 07:10 PM
its great that this came back. i've only been able to participate in one contest and that park i had was incredibly bad and my first park. since then, i've built 3 parks and im in the middle of my fourth so in this contest i will be entering the park called Medieval Forest. i will be working on it untill the end of june making it better so i'll officialy enter it later. we have a lot of new talent here and hopefully we could have a nice competative contest.

im still waiting for the coaster contest, it shouldnt be too hard to start.

coasetrphil
06-02-2003, 07:17 PM
I guess I'll have to try my hand at making a park. I usually don't do parks because I don't have the patience to theme and add architecture to anything bigger than a coaster.

Hopefully I'll have one for either this month or next. Most likely next.

Rebel2000
06-02-2003, 10:16 PM
To address some points made:

Intamin - You have a great idea. I'll try my best to create a "winner page" for whatever park wins this, similar to NE's pages. Maybe one day during the summer (when I have a LOT of time), I'll do some for some past winners, too. This would be a great addition to the seemingly measly avatar prize. :rolleyes:

Valp - The park you're thinking of, Coventry Castles, was made by coasterkidmwm, not me. I did make a castle-themed park called Valhalla Valley, but I never released it anywhere else except here. It's a little too old now to generate a good response from anywhere.

SFGadvKing - Remember to finish your park before June 23rd, as that's when the submission period ends. I'd love to have that entry and any others you have entered into the contests. BTW, the coaster contest should start in July when Andy has time. Contact him to find out more about it.

About advertising, do you guys think we should advertise on those other sites listed? If we can bring more publicity to the contest, we can get more entries and gain better esteem for the contest itself. Just tell me, and I'll do the advertisement (unless you guys want to help).

From being a past participant, I want to make these contests as good as possible, but I need you guys to help, too. Thanks. :)

intamin101
06-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Yeah, there are sites out there that are so big a lot of parkmakers (that are good) don't think they even have a chance. So if you tell them that there is a contest at TN, maybe they would join...

coasetrphil
06-03-2003, 05:06 PM
I have to agree with intamin. This contest is the right size for up and coming park-makers to have a chance to show off their skills and possibly win. I would try to advertise.

Valpengeist
06-03-2003, 05:57 PM
(BTW... you can check out Mision de Diversiones in the Submissions thread)

Here's my review of Fantasy World Las Vegas- written on July 29, 2002! (LOL) Now, it might not be way I'd say today, but here's what I wrote about it last year when I had RCT1:

Valpengeistís Review of:
FANTASY WORLD LAS VEGAS

First Impression: My first impression was a good one! I liked the look of your park; the tower coaster was cool and very signature-like. Some of the theming seemed odd together, however, but I really liked it!
Rating: ****1/2

Coasters: This is where your park, in particular, excelled. All of them had great ratings and good theming. My favorites were your snow section coasters; they were excellent! However, the constant pacing on some of them lacked a little bit.
Rating: ****1/2

Other Rides: They looked great, but seemed average. Still, they looked great.
Rating: ****

Theming: Your theming was excellent, but it all didnít seem to fit! It didnít exactly clash, but it all looked very strange together! As I said in an earlier review, Iíd like it better if you focused on one theme and stuck to it.

Landscaping: Great job here, too! The hills and valleys were great, but the trees could use a tad more variety. Iíd also like to see more buildings, but your landscaping was overall done very well!

Overall Impression: I really wanted to like your park a lot, but I just couldnít. There was something missing that kept it from being betterÖ hey- still, an AWESOME job and Iíd like to see more work from you!! FWLV was excellent!
FINAL RATING: ****1/4

QueerAsFolk
06-03-2003, 06:00 PM
I wanna join, i play RCT

Valpengeist
06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
The rules are in the June 2003 Rules thread or whatever. Anyone can submit!

ride6
06-04-2003, 07:06 PM
I think this contest could be a real hit just like it used to be (before i joined). For one thing we have a number of "new" parkmakers (me, SFGAdv.king, Valpie and probably a few others i can't think of right now.

This WILL be good. this month i'm entering a simi-old park that everyone (except intamin101 and really i don't mind someone not liking it) seem to like.

July is mine(well, i think).... I know i can't get Sea World Extreme Adventures completed for this month but next is a whole other story. :)

SFOGFAN
06-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Now about the rules, do the parks have to be real world parks, or fantasy parks, or even parks made out of the RCT Scenarions?

SFGadvKing
06-05-2003, 11:38 PM
SFOGFAN, any park can be entered. about what you said with the scenarios that are pre-built, i will quote one of the rules:

2. Parks must be mostly made by one person. Collaborations are not allowed, although a park with say, one or two coasters made by someone else are OK. If you are not sure whether your park makes the cut, PM me and Iíll discuss it with you.
so i think that if the scenario didnt have that much already pre built you should be able to put up the park but some of the scenarios have an aweful lot pre built. ask Mike C before you enter the park.

intamin101
06-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Hey ride6 what the hell? I never said I didn't like the park! Geez, you make a couple of suggestions and see where it takes you... There are things that I wouldn't have done in there, but its your style and I respect that. Otherwise all parks would look the same. The only thing I thought really needed to be changed was the name because it didn't seem to be like a run of the mill sea world at all... So uh, yeah.

Andy Hodgson
06-06-2003, 07:22 AM
I came up with a relatively good idea for advertising this contest next month...

Everyone who wishes should make a banner and a 64x64 block image for TNPP. Then we can all select our favorites and then use them as links on other sites.

ride6
06-06-2003, 04:20 PM
No, Intamin i didn't mean Project- Wet One i ment Pasifica Beach. You said that it "wasn't your style" and then quit posting on it. I'm not mad at you for that. Everyone has rights to their own opinion.

intamin101
06-06-2003, 04:33 PM
I was in france for a while, thats probably why I quit posting ;)

coasetrphil
06-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Andy Hodgson
I came up with a relatively good idea for advertising this contest next month...

Everyone who wishes should make a banner and a 64x64 block image for TNPP. Then we can all select our favorites and then use them as links on other sites.

I've been wondering about this for a while but what type of program do you use to make a banner. I would really like to know.

intamin101
06-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Here you go. Its a pretty sweet logo if I do say so myself. All credit goes to hockypersonguy. He's from NE, and he kindly made this logo for us.

SFGadvKing
06-06-2003, 11:22 PM
wow, i like that a lot. maybe instead of using a real picture of a rollercoaster, you should use a picture of a RCT coaster.

Rebel2000
06-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Lookin' very good. I already made it my avatar over at NE. If anybody needs a smaller version, use this: http://www.sfa-source.com/TNPPlogo.jpg

Thanks Hockeypersonguy!

ride6
06-11-2003, 10:24 PM
All right! Well lets get promoting. I'll go try to get some attention over at coasterbuzz. k?

coasetrphil
06-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Good luck with that ride6. You'll probably be banned for promoting another coaster site.

I really love ride6's Pasifica Beach. The whole feel I get from that park is awesome.

ride6
06-11-2003, 10:56 PM
If i do it's their loss! I'll still hang out here. And coasterphil, don't post my parks over at coasterbuzz if i do get banned there.

Pasifica Beach all the way!

Jhcbiinoc
06-12-2003, 09:48 PM
I was very, very impressed with Kimberly Gardens.....very realistic layout, rides, and good theming.

ride6
06-13-2003, 10:58 PM
Kimberly Gardens????

GO PASIFICA BEACH!

Rebel2000
06-17-2003, 05:39 PM
This is a reminder that we only have about 1 week left for submissions. Five parks is OK, but I'd really like there to be more.

Come on, anyone, submit something!

SFGadvKing
06-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Mike, i will be submitting a park, dont worry. im just taking all the time i have to make the parks better. and i still am not sure which park im entering, either Medieval Gardens or Jersey State Fun Park. its also possible that i can enter The Jersey Peirs instead but i dont want that and Ride6's park in the same contest.

ride6
06-17-2003, 10:56 PM
Which one of my parks :D.

Wet One or Pasific Beach or Either :D

SFGadvKing
06-17-2003, 11:31 PM
obviously pasifica beach. they are too similar to be competing.

ride6
06-18-2003, 11:29 AM
okay, that's wat i thought you ment but it's entered this month and it probably won't be next so enter one of your other ones.

Well if you enter they'll be a 4 way run to see who wins (me, Ryan, SFGadvKing, or Valpie). I wonder who it'll be.

PASIFICA BEACH ALL THE WAY!!!!!

coasetrphil
06-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Ride6, you better make that a 5 way run to see who wins now that I entered Two Points Amusement Park.

VOTE FOR MY PARK

Rebel2000
06-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Make that 7. That's the number I was hoping for at least. Thanks for submitting, guys. Remember, submissions close on Monday.

Valpengeist
06-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Coasterphil's *Two Points Amusement Park*

When I opened the park, it looked quite nice from far off. It was colorful, fun, etc... but there were a lot of trees in the middle of the park...

Plusses? The coasters were each pretty good, and you kept a good, simple, fun atmosphere going throughout.

However, the architecture, of what there was, was a little bland and sometimes the edges didn't match up with the roofs... but Mineshaft has a great station- the best archy in the park!

Eons was a nice coaster... the custom supports were nice, but I felt you could themed the ride itself more other than trees.

Hostle Apostle- this had a pretty good station! This was also the best coaster in the park, IMO.

Firestorm was average... just an average out and back.

Tiny Terror was a pretty nice little coaster itself, for a kiddie coaster...

The landscaping was also kind of weak. There needed to be more water and hills... it was kind of flat.

Oh yeah... where were the two points? ;)

Overall, it was a good debut, and you can only get better from here!

coasetrphil
06-24-2003, 10:38 PM
There were two points on the roof of the entrance.

I realized that I didn't add hills or water after it was too late.

I had a problem finding something to put in the middle so I just filled it with trees. It probably wasn't a good idea, I should have thought of something instead.