PDA

View Full Version : How many would be interested in this?

Leyna
06-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Hi Everyone. I'm developing software for personal use that keeps track of the stats of all the coasters I have been on. Eventually I would like to have it include all the coasters in the USA so that I can simply check a check box to indicate that I have been on it. I'm going to program it so it can tell me the stats for each coaster I have been on, tell me which is the tallest/fastest/longest, also what park it's in and other stuff. I'm currently developing it now with very little actually activated. Is there anyone else who would like to see the final product? I guess you can say I'm looking for beta testers or just some feedback as to what to do with it. If you interested, let me know.

jimmycoasterman
06-04-2003, 10:03 AM
That sounds really cool; I'd be interested in testing, or just viewing the final product. Good luck!

Raging Rider
06-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Same here, it sounds like something pretty cool and I'd love to try it. Do you have any idea of when it'll be done, or close to done?

Leyna
06-04-2003, 10:55 AM
I'll let you know when I make a little more progress on it. RIght now I'm still getting the screens to look good.

Zach
06-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Sounds very cool DOB. I'm definitly interested.

Steven
06-04-2003, 02:39 PM
I have a coaster count program as well on my Palm. It requires the Database program HanDBase, which for its small price (I think 20 bucks or something), it's very much worth it. Mine not only lists the coasters I've ridden, but I also have the number of times I've ridden it (along with some rudimentry stats about it, like type, builder, height, speed, etc.)

BimmerZ3
06-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Sounds awesome Daugeter Of Beast. I'd be very interested in it, as long as you don't charge me. ;)

Leyna
06-04-2003, 03:34 PM
How could I possibly charge fellow coaster enthusists? That would be a true crime. Anyway. As of today (thankfully work was slow), it's about 60% done. Once it's ready for testing/feeback, I'll let everyone know.

DEJA-VU RULES
06-04-2003, 03:59 PM
It sounds cool and could I be one of the first people to test it?

Leyna
06-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Sure. Why not?

Alex Westerman
06-04-2003, 04:18 PM
WOw. Cool Stuff! Feel free to use our database on tn.

intamin101
06-04-2003, 04:53 PM
It would be cool if you could have it say something like, "you have ridden 45,738 feet of steel track, 33,121 feet of wooden track 78,859 total feet of track, 16 vertical loops..." and so on. Like if it added the stats of the coasters. Just a thought.

Leyna
06-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the ok on the database. That will help make a few things easier.

Leyna
06-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Ok guys. Here's our first hurdle. Say you want to enter that you rode a certain coaster. What do you think would be the best way to view what coasters are for a certain park? There are two ways this could be done...which one do you think will work better? 1). You can just type in the name of the coaster, and select the park from a drop down list of all the parks. Or, 2). Select the park from a drop down list, then have another drop down list filter the coasters that are only at that park. Then you can pick the coaster you were on from the sorted list. Does that make sense? Anyway, let me know which is better and I'll initialize it tomorrow.

intamin101
06-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Drop down park list, then drop down coaster list. It will make it easier to select a park, and then be able to check ever coaster from that park without having to search for each and every one.

Carowinds 73-03
06-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Very intrested, Lets do it.

Leyna
06-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Ok. I'll create the park/coaster drop down today. At first I may not have every park in the list (for testing purposes), but the final project will include them. I'll also make where you can add coasters to it that may not appear on the list (maybe new coasters, or ones that were removed). I'm so glad that so many people are interested. Makes the hard work well worth it.

Leyna
06-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Ok guys. I have the first (really really really beta) version of the software complete. Basically, I want you to take a look at how it flows and what the screens will bascially look like. It doesn't have any pretty features yet. I just want some basic feedback and check for installation issues.

The files are contained in a .zip file that is about 8megs. I tried attaching it to this message and kept getting an error. Anyone have an idea how I could get this file to them?

Alex Westerman
06-05-2003, 02:53 PM
check your email. :)

coasetrphil
06-05-2003, 04:29 PM
I would definitely like to see this. Thanks for working on this Daughter of Beast.

BryanWood
06-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Drop down lists would work, and this sounds really cool. I'd love to help...if that's possible.

Chris L
06-05-2003, 11:22 PM
It sounds great. I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out.

Alex Westerman
06-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Check out the download page:

http://coasterkeeper.thrillnetwork.net

:)

Sir Willow
06-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Downloading it now. I'll install and take a look at it in a bit. Definitly sounds intriguing. May even work better than the spreadsheet I've been using to try to keep track of some of the same things.

coasetrphil
06-06-2003, 08:54 PM
I installed it and one file had a problem installing and I got a warning. It worked fine though.

Sir Willow
06-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Installer seemed to work ok, with the following problems:

These files were old- I had newer versions of them on my computer that the installer caught:
msjtes40.dll
msrepl40.dll
msrd2x40.dll
expsrv.dll
msjet40.dll

Also, it had an error registering the file msado25.tlb with an abort, retry, ignore. Finally had to ignore it, then got a successful install message.

Program seemed to run ok. Drop down menus were very easy to use, and I was able to add a couple of parks and coasters easy enough. However, when I attempted to access my personal records and selected a park, I got a runtime error '-2147467259 (80004005)'- the directory c:/documents and settings/rossil/etc.../ coasters.mdb is not a valid path. I'm guessing that would be the directory for the login on the computer that it was created on. But it was enough to crash out the program.

Looks like it's going to be intriguing. Should be fun to see how it develops. One other suggestion, if this is possible- after you've selected the park and it makes the menu of the coasters in that park available, it would be wonderful to be able to select multiple coasters from that list at once. Very nice for those parks like CP or SFMM that have a lot of them. But I really like being able to add in parks and coasters myself to. Means that I can add in for those that no one else lists- like the traveling coasters, a couple that are defunct, and multi-tracked coasters.

coasetrphil
06-06-2003, 09:08 PM
I just got a runtime error as well. It happened when I was trying to update a coaster's stats after I had already saved it. It shut down the program.

James R
06-08-2003, 12:39 AM
yeah same here. Like 10 different problems...i'd love to see the out come! I am sure you worked real hard on this! I hope it turns out great!

Leyna
06-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the updates guys. I realized that I had the wrong app path programed into it. That's why you were getting the error messages when saving data. No worries though cause I have already fixed them. I hope to have the next version out by this friday. It will have alot more functionality and less errors. Thanks for helping me out :D

Raging Rider
06-09-2003, 03:36 PM
I got “Run-time error ‘430’ : Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface”. It would not let me run the program. Sorry that I'm not much with computers, but what does this mean and can I fix that somehow?

coastercory06
06-10-2003, 11:10 PM
I got that message too. Mine says that it will not install a certain file, and when I retry it, it doesn't work, and when I ignore it, I get that message when I start it up. Help please!

Leyna
06-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Hmmm. I've never seen that error message before. I'll check into it and let you know what I find out. The new version is coming along nicely and should be ready for a friday launch. Thanks for reporting your errors :D

dale15dog
06-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Please let me see it. It sounds so cool. I cant wait to see what it looks Like,
Good Work!

Leyna
06-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Dale15dog, did you download from the link earlier in this post? I'm going to post a newer version sometime tomorrow. So stay posted.

JordanMullins
08-25-2005, 03:37 PM
http://www.rcdb.com/census.htm?country=2

the site is a rollercoaster data base and i have it on the census thing in america, it will show you all the coasters in america, which state they are in, and the park, and once you click a coaster it will show you all statistics for it, speed, height, the biggest drop, length.

I hope this will help you out!

Kennywooddude
08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
you do know you bumped a 2 year old topic dont you?

JordanMullins
08-25-2005, 04:26 PM
oh... dam this is the second time i posted without looking at the time of last post

Martin
08-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Pretty much evry user on this site knows about rcdb but thanks anyway Jordan.

Steven
08-25-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm going to close this... we have the coasterkeeper program already.