PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Coaster

TDMAMBA
06-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Does Morgan have any plans for more coasters cuz My homepark has a morgan coaster and it's great. I like the style the have and is one of my favorite hyper or coaster builders. I wonder why Steel Force has so much popularity when Mamba has a larger 2nd drop and that 125 ft 580 helix with that infamous head chopper. BTW wasnt mamba supposes to have tunnels cuz on thieir site on Mamba's press release it said several tunnels were planned.

phantompenguin
06-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Steel Force is near a major port city and Mamba is in the middle of nowhere for one.

I love Morgan too, they did wonders with the Phantom.

TDMAMBA
06-05-2003, 06:59 PM
sure did their trains may look like tanks but have the highest capacity of almost any coaster.:D

slipknot8527
06-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Haha....yes, I think Morgans outside wheels track (like on SD2000) is the sleekest looking out there...too bad their trains are so damn ugly!

phantompenguin
06-05-2003, 11:42 PM
the Phantom's trains are a dream at least.

Not all Morgan's doing though, it's a mix of Arrow's old trains and Morgan's.

slipknot8527
06-05-2003, 11:51 PM
I was wondering about that...can somebody give me a link to a pic of the trains for PR? Also, how much of Steel Phantom is used in the structure? I heard that all of the supports for the over 200 ft drop are the original Steel Phantoms. Any help would be great...

Lancelot
06-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by slipknot8527
I was wondering about that...can somebody give me a link to a pic of the trains for PR? Also, how much of Steel Phantom is used in the structure? I heard that all of the supports for the over 200 ft drop are the original Steel Phantoms. Any help would be great...

Go to www.coastergallery.com and click on the Kennywood link. They have some pictures of PR's trains.

phantompenguin
06-06-2003, 12:24 AM

The first half or so of the Phantom is the original Steel Phantom. The station to the top of the second hill is Arrow's Steel Phantom, after that it's all new.

You can see it in the supports if you know what you're looking for.

slipknot8527
06-06-2003, 01:10 AM
wait wait wait...so original track and everything? Just painted? That cant be right!

Matt M
06-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Yes everything up to the big ass drop is original, the rest is the morgan track.

ride6
06-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Yup! If you watch Extreme Rides 2002 and watch the Phantoms Revenge on ride video and watch the track, you'll see it change (it's during the VERY beginning of the 2nd drop.)

slipknot8527
06-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Thats so weird...oh, and btw, those trains are the most hideous things I've ever seen!

may the FORCE be with you
06-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Thats so weird...oh, and btw, those trains are the most hideous things I've ever seen! they can be hideous, but they are nice.

slipknot8527
06-07-2003, 01:55 AM
Wha? Hideous..but they are nice? Anyway, this still blows my mind..so the track is the exact same guage and everything? I cant believe it...oh, also, I remember the straight portion of track after the first drop being changed to a double up in the origina plans. Is it like that? Theres no picture of that part of the ride.

phantompenguin
06-07-2003, 11:50 AM
The Phantom trains are the most comfortable trains I have ever had the luxery of sitting my butt in.

It looks funky but they are swwwwwwwwweeeet trains.

Coke Cool
06-07-2003, 12:37 PM
I wish they would make looping roller coasters!

Alex T
06-07-2003, 05:23 PM
I've never been on a Morgan, but they look like they have a good out n back design. The trains are hideous though. One of my favorite coaster pics is of SD2k. It's a pic of the train, and all of the little Japanese people's heads can hadly be seen because the train is so tall and boxy.

slipknot8527
06-07-2003, 05:57 PM
I know! How can you even see over the front of that thing?!

THECHILLER
06-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Atrace that's hilarious. All the little japanese people haha! Anywho, the cars are SO confining!

James R
06-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Steel Eel is awesome....:).....

slipknot8527
06-07-2003, 11:21 PM
Isnt that the junior hyper? Whats the layout like? I saw pics of it in a magaizne, and they only showed the first two drops.

coasetrphil
06-07-2003, 11:32 PM
It is a junior hyper, its 150 ft tall. i don't know much about the layout but I would guess it follows a normal Morgan layout.

BimmerZ3
06-08-2003, 04:59 PM
http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery532.htm?Picture=4 < Steel Eel layout.

It's weird that SD2K's track looks like old Togo track.

And yes, those PR trains are funny looking.

may the FORCE be with you
06-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by phantompenguin
The Phantom trains are the most comfortable trains I have ever had the luxery of sitting my butt in.

It looks funky but they are swwwwwwwwweeeet trains. that was my point, they can look like whatever they want, but the ride they give is "nice". They make the ride rough but not too rough, and the seats themselves fell comfortable.

Leo C
06-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by phantompenguin
Steel Force is near a major port city and Mamba is in the middle of nowhere for one.

I love Morgan too, they did wonders with the Phantom.

Dude, what's this major port? Are we talking about it being an hour and a half from Philly? The vincinity of Dorney is Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA. They touch the Delaware River but at that point its all much more shallow and rocky. For years there are the canals that line its sides. Going to Dorney on Father's Day. Can't wait to revisit Steel Force and settle my score with Talon.......

THenry
06-11-2003, 12:06 AM
I rode Steel Eel last week and it is awesome. The trains aren't as ugly as their pictures, but they're not very comfortable due to all the air time that bounces you all over the car. :D The retractable seat belts are neat.

I've talked about it elsewhere but I'll say it again here:
1st hill - floated to the bottom
2nd hill- ejected at the crest of the hill, landed in the valley of the camel back
3rd hill - ejected then floated all the way down
4th hill - good G's
5th hill - seems dull after the first 4
Ends with 3 bunnies that eject you and then catch you on the upside of the next one.

coasterguy1
06-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Morgan does make ugly trains. I was going to comment on the front of the SD2K train also. It has to be like 6 feet long before it gets to the seats. And I dont know how those people can get a view when going up the lift hill. You can barely see them when they are on a level surface! http://www.coastergallery.com/japan/N16.html

TDMAMBA
06-12-2003, 02:52 PM
I dont know if it's just mamba or Morgan coasters, but I work at WOF and everytime the train goes down the first drop it makes a loud clanky noise that can even be heard from the parking lot sometimes. I dont know if all hypers do this or just morgan?

Steven
06-12-2003, 03:16 PM
It seems to be just Morgan. I think Steel Force did it a couple of times, but I was on the Magnum crew at CP (Magnum being an Arrow) and didn't hear it on there. I've heard funny noises from MF's anti-rollback though (which they usually have to fix).

TDMAMBA
06-12-2003, 03:22 PM
yeah i believe it may be the acceleration of the train and the back of it still coming off the chain lift but it does it every time it comes off. BTW i think Morgan trains look good on Mamba cuz it has a snakey look which that's what mamba is.

ride6
06-12-2003, 06:05 PM
I guess but i still think Morgan trains are too big and bulky making them... UGLY!

I much prefer the look of Intamin hyper trains (drools).

coasterguy1
06-12-2003, 06:38 PM
I agree with ride6. Intamin hyper trains are great. They leave you feeling so vulnerable because they are no sides and the lapbar doesnt come down next to your legs but in between your legs and over the pelvic bone. Makes you feel like you're going to fly out on those hills.

coasetrphil
06-12-2003, 06:49 PM
I think Morgan trains keep you from feeling like you're out in the open. It looks like you would feel too confined, kinda like the Arrow trains.

ride6
06-12-2003, 06:55 PM
I'll bet the Morgan trains are modled after the Arrow hyper trains which really aren't that great either.

TDMAMBA
06-12-2003, 07:56 PM
I bet Morgan could even be re modeling their trains right now, they could make them similar to Intamin but keep 3 rows of seats to have 6 riders per car. ANyway's why hasn't morgan made any coasters lately?

coasetrphil
06-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Probably because no one has asked them for one.

TDMAMBA
06-12-2003, 09:25 PM
hrmm .....
everyone is out for Intamin and B&M these days , Im suprised there isnt any more 4D's too.

Lost Phantom
06-12-2003, 09:38 PM
I've never noticed that noise on the Phantom's Revenge. That may be because that part of the ride is still Arrow, and the chassis are still Arrow. I've never been on a steel coaster with as much airtime as the Phantom's Revenge. The bunny hops at the end give you so much ejector air it is lunacy. The plunge in through the Thunderbolt and into that great helix is unparrelled. It beautifully exicuted(sp?). It is my number one steel coaster. I aboslutley love it.

ride6
06-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TDMAMBA
ANyway's why hasn't morgan made any coasters lately?

Accully (sp?) they have. They didn't do any last year but this year they're opening that one Hyper down at Six Flags Mexico.

coasterguy1
06-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Did that thing ever get put back on track? It was cancelled because SF tried to build without asking to build it. Then after that nothing happened..what's going on with it now?

Lost Phantom
06-13-2003, 11:40 PM
From the last reports that I've heard, there are some pieces for that rumored hyper at SFM. On Coasterbuzz somebody posted that he went by the Chance-Morgan plant in Witchita Kansas asnd saw many parts for a coaster in the backlot. I can't remember if it was just supports, or if it was both supports and track. Maybe those are the parts for the rumored hyper for SFWoA. Only time will tell about the new Morgan coaster.

Morgan
06-14-2003, 12:49 PM
AAAAGh! Everybody is talking about me!

ride6
06-14-2003, 03:59 PM
hahaha! No we're talking about Morgan, like the company. I thought that one in Mexico DID go through in the end. If it didn't i hope it goes to a different Six Flags park. SfStl. maby. It looks to me like that'd be the only one that needs a hyper AND has the room. But then again it was a twister...

TDMAMBA
06-14-2003, 07:45 PM
To be Honest it would be pointless to put a morgan hyper in SFStL cuz 250 mi.. west there is a morgan hyper. SO I wouldn't count on 2 morgans being so close to each other like that.

coasetrphil
06-14-2003, 08:56 PM
A Morgan hyper would be a bad idea there. They should put something there that is unique to the area.

ride6
06-14-2003, 09:01 PM
I guess. I'm just saying that they're the only american Six Flags that doesn't already have a hyper and yet has the room for one. I don't know. I guess it could go to SFBelgium...

daveinMN
06-16-2003, 01:30 AM
Wild Thing at ValleyFair! is a Morgan. I love it, and I think the trains are beautifully designed. They are kind of tall, but it keeps the mosquitos out of your eyes when you are going 68mph!

Dave In Minnesota

slipknot8527
06-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Lets be honest though, with all the talk of ugly Morgan trains, the coaster with the ugliest trains is Magnum XL-200. Those "rocket cars" are Fugly!

coasetrphil
06-16-2003, 09:04 AM
I actually prefer the look of Magnum's trains to a Morgan one.

Lost Phantom
06-17-2003, 12:35 AM
I like the Morgan's better than Magnum's. They look like they came out of a box of cerial or something. They just look cheesy to me.

slipknot8527
06-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Ha! And not to mention the mud caked "windshield" that hinders any view what-so-ever from the front seat.

Matt M
06-18-2003, 06:39 PM
That's strange. I have never ever heard of that clanky noise

slipknot8527
06-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Hey, we here at SFOG have no hyper...and dont you guys have Mr. Freeze? Lying bastards....

TDMAMBA
06-19-2003, 10:15 PM
actually Desperado's train looks neat kinda like morgan a lil bit. But that clanky noise happens as the train goes over the lift and down the hill. It happens all the time on Mamba every single time. Just next time your by a morgan or any hyper listen as the train goes over the lift down the first drop. Make sure it doesnt dip though like some B&M hypers.

ride6
06-19-2003, 10:35 PM
slipknot is right. Magnums cars are UGLY!!!!! And am i the only one who's noticed that their just minetrain cars with bigger wheels, U-shaped Lapbars, seat belts and UGLY trim.

coasetrphil
06-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey, we here at SFOG have no hyper...and dont you guys have Mr. Freeze? Lying bastards....

You stupid Southerners almost believed us.;)

That is really the only thing missing from SFOG. It needs one badly.

TDMAMBA
06-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ride6
I guess but i still think Morgan trains are too big and bulky making them... UGLY!

I much prefer the look of Intamin hyper trains (drools).

Yeah but Intamin has to have the Ugliest track look out of all of them.

I say make a morgan mix of intamin trains and keep the morgan track and I'll be happy lol.

Lancelot
06-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TDMAMBA
actually Desperado's train looks neat kinda like morgan a lil bit. But that clanky noise happens as the train goes over the lift and down the hill. It happens all the time on Mamba every single time. Just next time your by a morgan or any hyper listen as the train goes over the lift down the first drop. Make sure it doesnt dip though like some B&M hypers.

I hear it, Mamba does it every time is disengages the lift. You can hear it all the way in the parking lot by the Orient.

TDMAMBA
06-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Another thing, On Mamba how in the world does it make it over that second hill with that much speed. I mean I try recreating Mamba and have to lower the height cuz it wont make the second hill shy 20ft of the first hill. IT's REally strange how it goes over it with that much momentum.