PDA

View Full Version : General Talk forum should go

OrdinaryFool
06-14-2001, 06:54 PM
In light of all the recent "flaming" (which apparently includes mature civil discussion and debate) in various topics regarding religion, I would like to suggest that the "General Talk" forum be eliminated from ThrillRide. That way, the topics would be forced to stay related to theme parks, rollercoasters and games.
<BR>
<BR>You know, it really is sad that certain groups cannot express their opinions freely without offending certain other members, thereby starting these so-called "flame wars". What starts out as an innocent topic is turned into a "flame war" by those who don't agree with the original message, and consequently gets locked because those who want to have a civil discussion cannot do so because others choose to turn it into a war of words. The innocent ones are getting punished and are being silenced, all because those who disagree can't exercise enough will-power to stay out of the conversation.
<BR>What should be a forum where any opinion is freely expressed, eventually turns into a repression of that freedom, so therefore that freedom should not be permitted here.
<BR>
<BR>Just my opinion.

Bob Dunn
06-14-2001, 07:25 PM
The whole reason that General Talk is there <i>is</i> so people can air their opinions. It becomes a flame war when people are attacking others' views, and unfortunately that is what often happens. It's a tendancy of human nature to defend what you believe in!
<BR>
<BR>Just say your peace and let it go.

Sir Willow
06-14-2001, 11:29 PM
I can understand your reasons for wanting to get rid of the general talk forum, and they make sense. But I wonder if there might not be another solution.
<BR>
<BR>Leave the general forum, but perhaps place some restrictions on it. For example, go ahead and ban discussions about religion and politics. Post a warning on the forum for everyone to see letting them know the new rules. Lock all the current threads along those lines. Then delete any new ones on those subjects that pop up, no questions asked or warnings given. And if someone starts a thread that is obviously meant as a flame there, give them one warning. If they do it again, ban them. Period. And make it known that they were banned and why.
<BR>
<BR>Once people realize that it's not tolerated, they won't do it. Getting on people's nerves isn't any fun when it's a pain in the neck to do so.

dingo65
06-15-2001, 04:48 PM
I think they should lock the "flame war" topics.

ChronoTrigger
06-15-2001, 07:15 PM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-06-14 18:54, OrdinaryFool wrote:
<BR>In light of all the recent "flaming" (which apparently includes mature civil discussion and debate) in various topics regarding religion, I would like to suggest that the "General Talk" forum be eliminated from ThrillRide. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>
<BR>I'm afraid that most of these were far boyond " mature civil discussion and debate" These were turning into all out wars.

Metalhead 777
06-15-2001, 07:21 PM
I think that normally it should be ok to talk about religion and politics. But, it seems like no one on this board can tollerate someone disagreing with them, so I think I kind of agree with SirWillow.

slipknot8527
06-17-2001, 04:23 PM
It shouldn't be removed just cuz people are having different opinions. If that was the case, no category would be left including the ones debating CP and SFMM. I feel that if you are offended by a certain comment, just ignore it and move on. I have a lot more to say on certain topics than I actually post, but I USUALLY just don't bother. If you want to disagree, I say leave it open for discussion, if you dont, just leave! I am also impressed with how the language has not gotten out of hand! I am a part of many chatrooms and this is the cleanest one. So I say keep the General Talk forum!

Anaconda
06-18-2001, 12:20 PM
Let General Talk stay. I like it a lot, and don't let a few flame wars give you a bad opinion about the whole board. There are several topics on there that are being discussed as I speak.