PDA

View Full Version : Urban Legends: White Lightnin' (PC)

Wes
07-31-2003, 09:19 PM
Ok, I was just curious if anyone knew if any of the urban legends about the our classic coaster White Lightnin' (that was located at Carowinds) were true???

I heard one time the train launched too fast, and slammed into the stopper thing on the end of the track, and then got hung in the loop.

I've also heard UL's about the train getting stuck upside-down in the loop.

Anyone remember any of these???? I only rode it about 3 times myself, before it was ripped out and shipped off to South Africa (you lucky people) I miss White Lightnin' :):sadface:

ride6
07-31-2003, 10:10 PM
Um, as far as i know there aren't any true Urban Legends about coasters, no.

BimmerZ3
07-31-2003, 10:12 PM
Isn't the fact that it's an Urban Legend automatically make it not true?

< w00t 2000 posts.

James
07-31-2003, 10:18 PM
lol the i can only think of 2 coasters getting stuck in the loops..Vert loops..teh coaster at SFB that they put inside now..and SFGAms Arrow looper.. so i dont think its ture..Also about the train hitting the top people said that Laser Loop at K-Wood did the same thing..but the car sflew off into teh parking lot..so ULs are just that ...:)

Zagreus
08-01-2003, 09:51 AM
I heard the banging the stopper thing too. One of my friends claimed to have been stuck in the loop on it for an hour once. Of course, he was stuck also that time on the Drop Zone when they had to bring out the rescue workers to get the riders off. Little did he forget that he called me from his house to tell me to turn on the news :)

Wes
08-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by BimmerZ3

< w00t 2000 posts.

Not neccesarily, I can't call it a rumor though, because the coaster is not there any more. So what do I call it??? ha ha. Urban Legends sometimes turn out to be true, but of course it's a rare occasion when they do. That's why I was curious if they were true or not.;party; ;party; :D :cool:

TOGO
08-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by sfne stinks
lol the i can only think of 2 coasters getting stuck in the loops..Vert loops..teh coaster at SFB that they put inside now..and SFGAms Arrow looper.. so i dont think its ture..Also about the train hitting the top people said that Laser Loop at K-Wood did the same thing..but the car sflew off into teh parking lot..so ULs are just that ...:)

Add Orient Express to the list of coasters stuck in loops.

James
08-01-2003, 09:46 PM
it got stuck in the loop?...i knew it de-railed but not got stuck in the loop...

cedarboy2001
08-02-2003, 08:00 AM
I've heard some gruesome UL's about coasters before. I've heard some individuals say that people have lost either a head or an arm while riding on Space Mountain at WDW.

Wes
08-02-2003, 09:40 AM
I've heard the same thing about Space Mountain, but the decapitation just doesn't make any sense. They would have closed the ride, and the media would have been all over it. I think it's just a strange urban legend... But I have heard that one too.

Diesel
08-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by BimmerZ3

< w00t 2000 posts.

An Urban myth makes it automatically false. An urban legend can go either way, still usually false. My informative presentation in my summer class last month was about urban myths. They're some funny ones out there. Check out http://www.snopes.com

Oneofakind0490
08-02-2003, 11:21 AM
I heard they have holographics to make it look like there is much more supports in space mountain.

Skye
08-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by bgwfreak
I've heard the same thing about Space Mountain, but the decapitation just doesn't make any sense. They would have closed the ride, and the media would have been all over it. I think it's just a strange urban legend... But I have heard that one too.

.....or its a chinese whisper. The story i hard was they put dummies on after maintaince work, and forgot to remove a bracing wire across the track......

jimmycoasterman
08-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Diesel
An Urban myth makes it automatically false. An urban legend can go either way, still usually false. My informative presentation in my summer class last month was about urban myths. They're some funny ones out there. Check out http://www.snopes.com

Exactly. Snopes is a great website that can tell you what really happened, and whats spam. And while they don't have anything on coasters, they have tons of stuff on untrue chain-letter emails, stories, etc.

coasterguy1
08-02-2003, 09:05 PM
I think every chain letter ever created was false..but that is just me. IVe broken every chain letter...ever. Anyway, some kid will make up a story about a coaster and then every kid in his school will think it is true..unless one of us is there. Ive heard that Looping Starship at SFAW wasnt bolted right and flew off on its first test and hit Ultra Twister. Ive heard that a wheel fell off Greezed Lightnin, that there was a Serial Thriller at SFoT with a plastic chain that snapped and killed a guy, and on and on. Almost never true

Jill Anne
08-02-2003, 09:12 PM
well people have lost (and not claimed) prosthetic arms on space mountain and other disney rides. Does that count?

Wes
08-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Also, there's another good website http://www.truthorfiction.com/

I always check out my emails that say "pass this one to 10 people..." etc. 99.9% of them are hoaxes.

hyperspeedfreak
08-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Tidal Wave at SFGAm used to have a bell on it at the top of the spike and every now and then a train would launch too fast, hit the stopper and ring the bell for all to hear.....................YEAH, RIGHT!!!!

Believe it or not I heard about this when Tidal Wave first opened.