PDA

View Full Version : Boomerang Coasters, good or bad?

midgetdogg02
08-05-2003, 04:12 PM
My homepark is Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, and they used to have a boomerang coaster named The Vampire. I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately it had problems getting stuck in the cobra roll and they decided to remove it. One of the best parts about it though, was during its last season when you were climbing the lift, you would pray like crazy that it didn't get stuck. It made it a whole lot scarier. Give me your opinions on boomerangs. Here is a pic of it. http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery174.htm?Picture=3 this coaster has been relocated to Six Flags New England as Flashback.

Skye
08-05-2003, 04:22 PM
i've never ridden one. the uk only has one, and they aren't that popular in europe, at least not at big parks. Actually thinking about the uk might have two, but the second might not be working. its not near me anyway. the nearest to me is at AA, a couple of hours away at least.

Chris L
08-05-2003, 04:44 PM
I have ridden two first generation boomerangs (Knott's Boomerang, and SFWoA's The Mind Eraser), one Invertigo (PGA's Invertigo), and one Giant Inverted Boomerang (SFMM's Déjà Vu).

I think the first generation boomerangs are very economical for parks that are on the verge of growing, and need something to attract visitors without breaking the bank. They are fun, thrilling, and to most general public riders, they are very extreme and going backwards is a new concept for them (from what I constantly see).

JediMaster
08-05-2003, 04:50 PM
One of the best things about boomerangs is going forward down the hill and through the loading station at a high rate of speed. Also, in the cobra-roll, looking straight down to the ground, not at track. My favorite boomerang is the suspended, seat back-to-back FACE/OFF at PKI.

SFGadvKing
08-05-2003, 05:40 PM
i've only been on one of the first generation boomerangs, sidewinder @ hersheypark. i actually like it a lot. its kind rough but not too rough to make the ride bad. i have still yet to ride a vekoma that i dont like.

Wes
08-06-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, I've never ridden the first gen boomerangs for some strange reason SFOG never got one, and I didn't get into coasters really until about 95-96.

I have ridden Face/Off and Two Face (Invertigos) and the Giant version (Deja Vu) at SFOG, I liked both of them, but Face/Off backwards makes me almost black out.

I hope to ride at least one maybe two 1st gens next summer, if all goes according to plans...

Thrill Rider
08-06-2003, 09:52 PM
I've been on all the types of boomerangs including Vampire formerly at SFKK. I think the original boomerangs are fun, but nothing real spectacular. The inverted Invertigo's are a whole lot of fun. I love them. The Super Invertigo's are plain awesome. The only problems with those are the constant downtime and low capacity.

fanramones
08-06-2003, 10:15 PM
ive ridden three of them boomerang at knotts,flashback at sfot,and de javu at six flags magic mountain(my main park)

Aaron
08-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Boomerangs are good rides, as long as they aren't too rough. The only trouble I have with boomerangs is that there's so many, so the ride experience tends to dull after a while. The Invertigos (inverted boomerangs) are better then the first-generation ones, as they add the thrill of being below the track, and the Giant Invertigos, such as Deja Vu, are amazing rides if you get the chance to go on one. Deja Vu at MM is one of my all time favorites.

Marcus
08-06-2003, 11:37 PM
I've been on like 6 1st generation boomerangs. They tend to vary in hurt. Some may be smooth as glass, while others feel like your head is stuck in a vice. Many have added addition padding and I found the to workout very well. I think now that they added some of the new trains, the ride is much more smooth than the rough reputation they were once given. I've ridden so many, the 1st generations don't freak me out like they used to. But I would not object to a coaster getting stuck every once in a while to add to the danger.

DrachenFire123
08-07-2003, 04:06 AM
boomerangs are fun ive only been on one thought at PGA when i was little but i still find it fun, i like the trill going backwards on rides.

Lancelot
08-10-2003, 05:15 PM
i've been on an invertigo (PGA) and 1 boomerang (WOF). I love them, they're really fun. I love being pulled up backwards not knowing when you're going to be released. I'm very thankful for the boomerang at WOF, since it has the only cobra roll in the park, and i love cobra rolls. It probably has the best color scheme out of all the boomerangs! Fun stuff!

pearlsea
08-08-2004, 12:20 AM
i love boomerangs gives u a great feeling going backwards through the loops/cobra roll

btw does anyone know it the boomerangs made by velkoma are smother with arrow trains or velkoma trains?

sfft_2108
08-08-2004, 12:24 AM
I HATE boomerangs. They are the worst coaster ever invented. They are so boring. People wait like 30 minutes just to ride that. I wouldn't wait 5 minutes. This is just IMO.

RaptorXLC
08-08-2004, 12:41 AM
I've been on 4 boomerangs. I don't like them. For the most part, they hurt, and for me, they are kinda boring. I've also been on two invertigos. They are a little better, but they're not great. I have high expectations for Deja Vu when I go to SFMM this winter.

James
08-08-2004, 01:05 AM
i have been on
TwoFace and Face off..
and boomerangs at.. SFNE SFDL TGE SFWOA/GL LC PraterPark SFKK..and maybe 1 or 2 more i cant think of right now..
i saw DejaVu at SFOG but it was closed all 4 days i was at the park...it did look very cool.. i dont really like boomerangs.. but the invert ones are cool..

Magnum Robert
08-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Boomerang coasters suck---I've had exactly zero enjoyable rides.

Kyle L
08-08-2004, 01:58 AM
I actually like Boomerangs, they really aren't that rough, and they provide a short mild thrill, which is fine.

Aaron
08-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Boomerangs, particuarly the standard 1st generation ones, would be a lot better if there just weren't so many of them. They're still good rides, but it seems like you see one at every other park you visit, and it kind of looses the thrill. Still fun, though.

glooboo
08-08-2004, 09:41 AM
I don't think they are coasters at all, coasters complete a circuit...enough said!

MaGnUmKeLly
08-08-2004, 10:10 AM
I think any bommerang coaster that I have been on really hurts. Face Off, Head Spin ect. I go on there, but mabye once a day.

cannonballer
08-08-2004, 11:40 AM
I love vampire. It was the first and only true boomerang I have ridden. Unless you count deja vu at sfog.

coasterlove
08-08-2004, 11:55 AM
For smaller parks, it can be a good decision to get boomerang. Many casual parkgoers considerit unique from other coasters and many of them actually like these rides. It doesn't take up a lot of room or cost a lot of money but allows the park to have another coaster for their guests to ride. As for a bigger park getting a boomerang, I'd just laugh at that because of the low cacity and the trouble boomerangs often run into.

ErioL
08-08-2004, 01:29 PM
I've ridden only Flashback at SFOT, and I couldn't stand it. The OTSR hurt sooooo much.

Jimmy B
08-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I've been on Boomerang at SFFT and Flashback at SFoT. I'm wasn't particularly thrilled by them, but I'll still go on them anyway. The one at SFFT is kind of better.

I've also been on Deja Vu at SFoG and those are a different story -- that is one the better rides I've been on (one of my top 3 rides). This is a remarkably smooth and breathtaking ride.

leeloo1953
08-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I've only been on two, the one at GL and the one at PKI. I hate them both. I don't feel safe on them. I know this has posted in the "Stupid Things People Say" thread, and yes I have said it, and no, it is not stupid! On both rides, there is one part where I actually feel like I am going to fall out of the damn seat!! I hold on so tight that I have gotten blisters on my hands because it feels so much like I will fall out.

I do not like these kind of rides at all.

SFOG Freak
08-08-2004, 02:28 PM
I've been on Head Spin at GL and Boomerang at KBF. They both sucked.

Sparks
08-08-2004, 03:25 PM
I tihnk it looks pretty fun. I've never been on a ride like this before. I would like to go to see if it's fun or not though.

aribev24
08-08-2004, 04:14 PM
The only boomerang coaster I've been on is Flashback at SFNE. The OTSR's are uncomfortable, but I don't think its a horrible ride. Mildly thrilling, but not horrible.

LadyBug89
08-08-2004, 05:03 PM
I have only been on Face/Off at PKI and I thought it was a really good ride. The one downside is that the lines take forever if you go on a really crowded day.

MaGnUmKeLly
08-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah I wounder if they could add another train. :rollseyes:
I like that one cause you can watch the other people. I wounder if anyone has watched someone get sick on that ride...

coasterlove
08-08-2004, 06:03 PM
I don't feel safe on them. I know this has posted in the "Stupid Things People Say" thread, and yes I have said it, and no, it is not stupid! On both rides, there is one part where I actually feel like I am going to fall out of the damn seat!! I hold on so tight that I have gotten blisters on my hands because it feels so much like I will fall out.

I'm curious what part of the ride makes you feel like you're going to fall out. The only part of the ride I don't care much for on the boomerang is the lift out of the station. Not so much because I think I'm going to fall our or that, just because it's uncomfortable. The rest of the ride (except for the second lift) just feels like an Arrow looper but maybe a little rougher.

Xbox4414
08-09-2004, 02:14 AM
I've ridden all of the styles available, original, inverted, and GIB. I have to say the GIB style is by far the best and by far the smoothest, IMO. I just rode Déjà Vu at SFMM last week and it was very smooth IMO. And it is now rated as one of my all time best coasters. I liked it so much I decided to make a Déjà vu video which I will have up soon.

MaGnUmKeLly
08-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Rough isn't the word for it coasterlove. Try Hang and Bang, thats my nickname for most of them rides. Cuase they bang and it hurts.

magnumxl2005
08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
i have only ridden 2 sidewinder at hershey park and sea serpent at moreys piers.....the one at moreys piers is very smooth compared to the one at hershey and its a little themed...like the trains..station looks like a shipreck site with some green lights...its an awsome coaster to ride at night!!

leeloo1953
08-09-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm curious what part of the ride makes you feel like you're going to fall out.

On both rides, it was going backwards and going through one of the upside down turns, twists, whatever you coaster people call it. All I know is that it feels likes so much I'm falling out, I hate it.

Another thing, I have a hard enough time going up a lift hill forward, but going up one backwards facing the ground, it not for me at all!!

magnumxl2005
08-09-2004, 11:31 PM
u mean cobra roll?? or the loop??

TNcoasterman
08-09-2004, 11:45 PM
I've been on Face/Off at PKI and Deja Boo at SFOG. Personally I liked both of them.

I thought Face/Off was very smooth for a Vekoma Hang n Bang. I liked it alot just wouldn't normally wait in the line that it had if it hadn't been the first time riding an invertigo.

Deja Boo is a good ride and is very smooth. However it is never running when I'm at the park. And I wasn't found of the backward spike. As goofy as it sounds, I can't stand heights. I'm usually ok on coasters cause I know that as soon as we're off the chain I'm good. Deja Boo however is slow on the incline and you're looking straight down at the ground. It really freaked me out.

James R
08-10-2004, 12:08 AM
i've only ridden two, Boomer at KBF, and Boomer at SFFT. My Boomer ride at KBF was aweosme. Wasnt rough at all! Boomer at SFFT was a different story. I got a bruise on my knee... it wasnt that fun...

James
08-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Boomerangs, particuarly the standard 1st generation ones, would be a lot better if there just weren't so many of them. They're still good rides, but it seems like you see one at every other park you visit, and it kind of looses the thrill. Still fun, though.

thats how i feel about it... like its fun to ride a few times but then when its at every park you go to.. well it just seems like a tea cups or swinging ship.. nothing like "wow"

also i think its better for a smaller park then it is for a SF park... like when you go to LC Zoomerang looks taller and seems so much cooler then the one at SFNE about an hour away... because at sfne its right next to a coaster on a hill so even being tall then cyclone... cyclone looks much taller... and then why go on FlashBack. when you can ride SROS... yet at TGE in NY the bommerang is the tallest and fastest coaster in the park and it also has the most loops.. so i feels like a bigger deal then at other parks where its just 'eh'...
One boomerang i went on at PraterPark was different then all the others i had been on because it had a tunnel going out of the cobraroll and then in the black tunnel they have a big BANG sound go off and a flash of light...

VekomaFan
08-10-2004, 01:53 AM
I have ridden two. Sidewinder @ Hershey Park which I though was horriable, gave me a black out and was soo rough as soon as i got off my back was hurting. Funny because before i rode sidewinder i rode stormrunner and I WAS FINE. Old boomerang SUX..

Then I ridden TWO FACE @ SFA the invertigo. This one I loved I have counted 24 times I have ridden it. Yes the way back is rough but the front is smooth. Either way your gonna be front and back. The best part is that you get to see your friends and have feet dangle. The release on the lift is much quieter than the LOUD ABOUT TO EXPLODE SOUND ON SIDE WINDER @ HERSHEY PARK.

jaj_dude
08-10-2004, 11:16 AM
I went on The Boomberang at SFDL. It was kinda rough...but it was fun going backwards. the Restraints seemed really loose though...and the handles were really thin...but overall i enjoyed it a lot.

Kennywooddude
08-10-2004, 05:15 PM
I only ridden one,Head Spin at GL, and I liked it. It felt smooth to me. The only part I dont like is the anticipation on the lift. It scarse. me. Also, Im afraid to get stuck in the boomerange.

pearlsea
08-10-2004, 06:33 PM
is there any boomerangs that are theamed? cause IMO they are too plain of a ride to be theamed

Brian F
08-11-2004, 03:04 AM
I've only ridden one Boomerang- Vampire at SFKK. I liked it. It would never make my top ten list, and I wouldn't want to wait more than 10-15 minutes for it. But, when we were there, it was a short wait, and the ride was enjoyable. There are some coasters that fall into the category I call "worth riding if the line is short" The number one coaster on that list is TTD. Call me a heretic, but after riding it once, I can say it's too short for me to wait too long for.

Or maybe I just rode it for my coaster count, LOL

senses_failing
08-11-2004, 11:02 AM
they're fun, but i wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes to ride one. they're simply not THAT fun to ride. i do need to ride an inverted one though. i've only been on sidewinder at hershey park.

MaGnUmKeLly
08-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Vampire? Ahhh I never saw that there. Don't you mean T2 or where there another boomerang before that I didn't know of?

Lancelot
08-11-2004, 11:48 PM
i've been on an invertigo (PGA) and 1 boomerang (WOF). I love them, they're really fun. I love being pulled up backwards not knowing when you're going to be released. I'm very thankful for the boomerang at WOF, since it has the only cobra roll in the park, and i love cobra rolls. It probably has the best color scheme out of all the boomerangs! Fun stuff!

Wow, was i wrong.

m-force 4 ever
08-12-2004, 12:05 AM
ive only been on one Deja Vu at SFGAm, that was really fun, but the wait was long (especially the multiple times it broke down for whatever reason) but it is one of my favorite steel coasters.

magnumxl2005
08-13-2004, 05:32 PM
i am a fan of the boomerang i just love how all the sudden you just drop n fly through the station its awsome....but they are loud!!

100th POST!!!

TITAN GIRL
08-15-2004, 12:29 PM
I despise Booomerangs.(except for Deja Vu- I liked that) They are soo uncomfortable, the headbanging is horrible. IMO they need to send them to Scrap Metal Hell

darque
08-15-2004, 12:58 PM
I've done all three types. I was a little disappointed with Deja Vu (SFGAm). We waited for the front knowing that we'd probably only ride it once. I'm sure if I gave it another go I'd enjoy it more then I did.

My fav' was Face/Off (PKI)

It's weird how the line ups vary from park to park. SFDL's is typically a walk on, where PCW's usually has about a 20min wait. I like the Boomerang's, but not worth the 20min wait. So it's been a while since I've been on The Bat.

Carowinds 73-03
08-15-2004, 07:31 PM
I am quite fond of the Boomerangs. I tend to like the classic sit downs over the inverted or face/off.