PDA

View Full Version : One coaster...or two coaster?

Raptor3790
08-09-2003, 02:06 AM
I know that this had to be discussed..but i don't know what to search for. So what makes a coaster.. one coaster... or two coasters? Island of Adventures claims Dueling Dragons as two roller coasters. Cedar Point claims Gemini to be one. Six Falgs claims Batman & Robin: The Chiller is two... but Rolling Thunder is one. So how is one twin coaster 2 coasters while another is 1? Is there even any official response to this, or would it all be just opinions. I know most people would say that all twin coasters are two. Mainly just to get their stupid coaster count up. I gathered up all thsi data from teh websites... if it made the word "roller coaster" plural...or not.

Chris L
08-09-2003, 02:11 AM
This is one of those debates that burns down the building with flames! Not! But still, this is a tough thing to discuss.

Dueling Dragons features two independant operating tracks that are not completely identical (but neither are other racers/duelers) that are under the same ride/attraction name and are listed as one ride on the map and attraction directory. Same with rides like Batman & Robin The Chiller, Windjammer Surf Racers (defunct), and all other racers...

Anyway, my take on it is that technically, there are really two, but are closed under one name - meaning it is one attraction with two operating sides (for experience or increased capacity - doesn't matter).

But then is Power Tower one ride or four? Or two? The entire package comes under one moniker, yet you get separate Space Shot and Turbo Drop experiences in that one ride.

slipknot8527
08-09-2003, 02:16 AM
Its pretty simple for me....it is two different coasters that give you two different experiences.

I classify Power Tower as two rides.

TOGO
08-09-2003, 10:04 AM
It dosen't even make sense to call a racing coaster 1 coaster. Unless it has a continual track like Montana Rusa or Racer it is definately two coasters. If you took one side of Gemini and moved it to Dorney park suddenly there are two coasters but if you have them next to each other it becomes one ride? What if a B&M standup was on one side and an invert on the other....would it be the same ride? Just because the difference is more subtle dosen't mean it is not 2 different rides.

CrystalKat
08-09-2003, 10:11 AM
I tend to look at the tracks and the differences between them. If they are mirror images only, with only the barest of differences, then it's one coaster (Gemini). If, however, they have greater differences, perhaps with different elements or such, then they are two coasters (Dueling Dragons, Gwazi). I do not consider one side forward and one side backward different enough to warrant two coasters.

Power Tower I consider two different rides, because of the two sides -- you choose which side and have to wait in different lines, and the rides are vasty different. You cannot, however, choose which of the four specific towers, so it's not four rides.

BimmerZ3
08-09-2003, 11:17 AM
The only way I would consiter it one ride, is if the two sides are EXACTLY the same. Example: STE. Both sides of the ride are exactly the same. Launch, go up, go down, brakes. On the other hand with Racing coasters such as Gemini, the experience is different. Different diameters on the turns, closer head choppers, and IMO, Blue side was smoother than Red side. Different ride experiences. Mirrored rides I count as two, because if you always ride one side, then you ride the other side, you'll be used to a turn the the right and you'll get a turn to the left. Once again, different.

coasetrphil
08-09-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm the same as Bimmer on this one.

ride6
08-09-2003, 11:22 AM
I agree completly with Melissa on the judging system.... Well... I do but i still count Lightning Racer as one coaster mainly because Hersheypark does... hmmmm this a VERY hard subject to discuss.... hmmmm....

*thinking*

Calvin
08-09-2003, 01:42 PM
*thinking too*
I consider most racing, dueling or a combination of the both to be TWO coasters with the exeption of S:TE. Of course, they're only running the right side now...
Before Colossus became a non-racer, it was two coasters. Not that much of a difference, but enough to label it as two coasters.

Skye
08-09-2003, 02:23 PM
i actually think if a ride is installed at the same time and two tracks are part of the whole ride, then it is one ride. Would you say gwazi was two rides? Probably not. Dragons is a bit more difficult but since the park refers to it as one ride and themeing is comsistant on both tracks, and both tracks complete the whole expierenice i would say its one ride.

coasterguy1
08-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Ive always considered a racing coaster as one coaster. Parks dont up their number of coasters by claiming that their racing/dueling coaster is 2 tracks. So im gonna go with what the parks do here and count them as one. I think that makes sense..

SFGadvKing
08-09-2003, 02:48 PM
as with hypercoasters and "is this a rollercoaster" subjects, i go with how they feel. if it feels like a coaster, its a coaster. if it feels like a hypercoaster, its a hypercoaster.
if the tracks feel differant, then i'll call it two coasters(dueling dragons, chiller, lightning racer). but if the two tracks feel pretty much the same, but could still be differant, then i'll call it one coaster(rolling thunder). its the same thing with the first generation freefalls, by all means, it should be a coaster but it just doesnt feel like a coaster so i dont consider it a coaster.

Coastr Crazy 72
08-09-2003, 03:05 PM
just say that there were two coasters in a park. both coasters have the same name, the same layout and the same everything except that they are in two opposite ends of the park. most people would consider that 2 coasters just because they are seperated. but when non-coaster enthusiasts look at something like dueling dragons then they will think its one coaster because mainly they look the same, are adjacent to each other and are in the same spot as eachother. when you create a dueling or racing or a double roller coaster that are two seperate tracks but have the same name and are in the same specific location you don't want to make it confusing for the non-coaster enthusiasts who don't want to get technical and confused so you simply say it is 1 roller coaster. for us though we know what it really is (dueling dragons), 2 seperate roller coasters placed in the spot.

i dont agree on the power tower theory. i believe it is 4 seperate rides. there is 1 name- power tower- 2 types of launches - 4 seperate towers. each of the 4 towers has its own car and launches on its own and not adjacent to the others. it may give you the same thrill as the tower next to it because it launches the same but i consider it 4 seperate rides. but because it comes in a package and because it has the same name, in the same location then it would be considered 1 ride by mostly all non-coaster enthusiasts

Alex T
08-09-2003, 04:50 PM
I say any racer is 2 coasters, or dueler. Racers are no different than clones, other than the fact that they are side by side. The only time it is one, is when the racer connects to the other station, thus making it one huge coaster.

LoCoSuMo
08-09-2003, 05:59 PM
I think anything that gives a different visual or feeling while riding should be counted as two. In S:TE's case, it has two directly next to each other, giving probably the same ride (I havn't ridden it so tell me if I'm wrong).

Kraken
08-09-2003, 07:48 PM
If it's 2 seperate tracks, it's two seperate coasters-being close to another ride and operating under the same name(like on a racer) doesn't make them one. Batman: The Ride at Six FLags Over Texas is a mirror of the one at SFNO, and vice versa. But, of course, they're two seperate rides. Now, if you moved them next to each other, they'd still be two seperate rides. The same would apply to a ride like, say, Rebel Yell or Superman: The Escape-They're two different coasters.

twistytie
08-09-2003, 07:52 PM
I think that if they are racing coasters, and have the same layout (ex. Gemini) then they should be considered one roller coaster. But if they have slighty different layouts and are dueling coasters, then they should be two coasters.

Raptor3790
08-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Atrace
IThe only time it is one, is when the racer connects to the other station, thus making it one huge coaster.
(not to this quote) I accually feel that ROlling Thunder sides are very different... )
Well. I have a question... say.... Since Kennywood's Racer is very close together... But if a caster like Kennywoods racer was a very different. Like Dueling Dragons..being connected. Dueling Dragons are very different each side.. but just the fact that they are connected..makes them one. (more coming...i just can't think right now)

BimmerZ3
08-09-2003, 10:23 PM
DD isn't connect. He means that it's one giant circuit. You start in once station and end up in another one.

Raptor3790
08-10-2003, 01:51 AM
i know..but saying IF DD connected... IF tehy switched over right at the end Then would it be one coaster.. even though.. sort of, both sides give different espiriences.

BimmerZ3
08-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Oh okay. But, thinking in that manner, what if you only rode one side of the coaster? Would you say you had ridden half of it?

Coastr Crazy 72
08-10-2003, 07:50 PM
good point bimmer. thats another good reason why it should be considered two coasters by all coaster ethusiasts. if the we got the non coaster thusiasts into this debate id be total confusion.

Chris L
08-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Raptor3790
i know..but saying IF DD connected... IF tehy switched over right at the end Then would it be one coaster.. even though.. sort of, both sides give different espiriences.

No, think he meant "connected" by both rides using the same support structure. Not that they are mobius-loop style-coasters...

Thrill Rider
08-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Such coasters as Dueling Dragons are 2 different coasters. They just share the same name, station, and lift hill. The same goes for rides such as the Racer at PKI. While rides like the Racer at Kennywood are one, because it is just one continuous track. But there are only 3 of those in the world if I'm not mistaken.

Marcus
08-10-2003, 10:06 PM
I see it as every coaster is an attraction that features two separte experiences that can be very similar or very different. So would I count Gemini as two coasters? Yes, because they are two different tracks and one isn't exactly like the other. But I do believe they are under one ride and that's why Cedar Point should count them as 1. This is a very good way of looking at this situation if you don't like exceptions.

Raptor3790
08-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by BimmerZ3
Oh okay. But, thinking in that manner, what if you only rode one side of the coaster? Would you say you had ridden half of it?
Well what about racer? It's one circuit... Most people would say it's one coaster. But then..liek you said. Woudl you say you went on half of it?

Coastr Crazy 72
08-11-2003, 10:47 AM
yea thats exactly what you would say in racers case. because the whole ride is one coaster but it has 2 entrance stations so i think that if you only ride one side you only rode half of the coaster.

Raptor3790
08-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Yeah, that's my point, so why not do the same exact thing with Dueling Dragons, Gemini, Chiller, Rolling Thunder, etc.

BimmerZ3
08-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Because it's two entirely different roller coasters. Two circuits, not one.