PDA

View Full Version : Knott's Berry Farm '04

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Chris L
11-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Well, once the fencing goes in around the ride (mostly near the cobra-roll), it should begin to test during park operating hours.

Jerry S
11-09-2004, 09:46 AM
It began testing on the 7th, just as I predicted it would. See, told you I'm phsychic, and an @$$h*le

www.westcoaster.net

magnumxl2005
11-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Yea the paint is chipping on hydra as well. They will touch it up like eastcoastn said.

RLLrCoastrLover
11-09-2004, 06:29 PM
The paint job is awesome. I like how it looks going through the loops.

Dan G
11-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Now the real battle begins...Silver Bullet vs. Raptor, which will prevail. Or I guess you can say Silver Bullet vs. Talon as well. I can tell this is going to be on the top of the list for the best invert if not just coaster in general.

Chris L
11-09-2004, 10:34 PM
/\ I'll be able to tell you that when I get my first ride on the 7th. (Raptor vs. Silver Bullet).

And the color scheme all makes sense now, if you've seen the billboards advertising the ride around the SoCal area. Apparently, the red and yellow track scheme is supposed to be the "flames" that trail after the bullet after it is fired and the train itself is the bullet. And the mix of blue, red, yellow, and orange of the trains is supposed to make it look like a bullet as it navigates the course really fast. Makes sense, considering how a shiny silver bullet would reflect a good amount of those colors in the sun :)

Dan G
11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Even if there was no logical explanation around the colors of Silver Bullet, I'd still say it looks good. Even if there is a limited about of silver on the ride, I'm sure that doesn't stop it from looking good and soon to be a great coaster.

^ As long as the corks are smooth on this thing, I'd say it'd be better than Raptor. The only thing I hated about Raptor was the corks, but I guess that's just because of it's age.

Jhcbiinoc
11-11-2004, 09:09 PM
There are some new pics of the completed station and the progress on the queue and landscaping over at http://www.americacoasters.com

bk2004
11-11-2004, 09:31 PM
That station looks good...by itself. I don't think it fits in very well with the bright red color of the track.

But the station does look great.

I can't wait to see it with the water filled in the lake. With a nice sunset over the water and the coaster's reflecting. One word..WOW!

Dan G
11-11-2004, 11:27 PM
This coaster does look very good...I hope Hydra looks just as good when it gets near to opening. I have to admit, Cedar Fair has done a superb job on these new coasters...I hope when Geauga Lake get's their hyper in 2006-2007, that it will look just as good. :D

SFOG Freak
11-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Oh man, i'm getting so excited about this thing. Everythings looking like it's coming along great. The station looks awesome, and I bet when those plants grow in the whole area will look amazing. Like bk2004 said, it's going to looks so great when they fill the lake back up.

Thankfully, I get to ride this thing next April. I can't wait!

Jerry S
11-13-2004, 12:57 PM
I'll be there December 26 or 27.

Montu Man
11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I can't wait to ride this, whenever I go to Knott's. That overbank looks sweet and agressive, and the first drop looks looks nice.

Jhcbiinoc
11-14-2004, 11:33 PM
What I found really impressive while at Knott's yesterday and last night was what a good job they have done with the way this coaster and the station/surrounding area is lit up at night, with both a row of lights on the lift hill and floodlights on the lift and coaster elements. They are finishing up the lake as well as the queue and the area is coming together really nice.

Right before I left the park, saw them move a train off the storage on the transfer, and then from the transfer to the station. Apparently they did not run the test trains until after the park closed for the night.

There are some new pics of the landscaping and such over at

http://www.westcoaster.net

Jerry S
11-16-2004, 08:22 AM
I think that walkway under SB seems a little unsafe. They should have nets, like Talon's line. Talon is buile almost entirely over nets, that should be done with this ride in that walkway. It has a creepy effect too.

Jhcbiinoc
11-16-2004, 12:49 PM
If I am correct, the main reason for nets would be the the potential that someone has ignored the loose articles rule. In my experience, the ride ops at Knott's are really good about enforcing the no loose articles policy. I am sure they will have the same kind of arrangement they do on Xcelerator and GhostRider, with compartments in the station for people to stow hats, cameras, glasses and so on. But they may in fact put nets there before it opens.

They are probably finishing up the queues and the lake this week and next. Hopefully, they will be able to get the retracking of the steamboat and the train open by the 7th as well. The lake looked like they were about to repour the concrete, the only part of the lake it looked like they had not done much to this past weekend (although I couldn't tell for sure) was the part over where the boat goes around the island. Right now there is still parts of the TerrorVision maze on top of it but I think all they have to do is move that and that part is done, as I don't think they took the boat track or any concrete out in that area. It will also be nice when they get those pathways-including the one from Calico to Fiesta Village redone and opened. I'm impressed that they were able to manage traffic at the Haunt as well as they did with all of the usual pathways closed due to construction......

Supposedly, training for the coaster has started and some park employees have actually been on the coaster, although I would imagine that they are keeping things pretty quiet about what the ride itself is like as the first official riders are not until the 7th. If I could afford it, I would bid on one of the seats, as it goes towards a good cause.

Wes
11-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Top Gun @ PC opened with no nets, then they added one in front of the Immelman because it's right beside a path.

Chris L
11-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Although it's great that they pushed the opening date down from the 24th to the 7th, it just makes everything so rushed. There's still a good amount of work and detailing to do before the ride is ready for opening - but knowing the current Knott's management, they tend to open their new rides half-assed, then pitch in the minor details of theming that was promised to go with it. I'm just saying 3 1/2 weeks won't have the ride at it's upmost best potential when it debuts on the 7th of December.

Homer
11-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, Silver Bullet looks like one heck of a ride! Im sure Knotts fans will like this!

Chris L
11-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Knott just Knott's fans, my good sir. I'm quite certain everyone that takes a spin on it will.

Jhcbiinoc
11-17-2004, 04:22 AM
There are new pics of the ride testing up at http://www.americacoasters.com

nicktheride
11-17-2004, 01:05 PM
It's down... :-(

bk2004
11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Although it's great that they pushed the opening date down from the 24th to the 7th, it just makes everything so rushed. There's still a good amount of work and detailing to do before the ride is ready for opening - but knowing the current Knott's management, they tend to open their new rides half-assed, then pitch in the minor details of theming that was promised to go with it. I'm just saying 3 1/2 weeks won't have the ride at it's upmost best potential when it debuts on the 7th of December.

They pushed the date back? I guess it's not a surprise.

So basically what you are saying is that they are going to have an unoffical soft opening. Seems like it to me because if the rides not fully finished then it wouldn't be officially opened.

But the things they probably will leave out people won't even notice.

I wonder if the lake will even be filled in by then.

Jhcbiinoc
11-17-2004, 06:17 PM
It's down... :-(

It's back up now. And there is another huge update and another video at http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/. Looks as if they are doing their best to have the lake ready to go by the 7th, anyway.....

Dan G
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
I've been wondering this for quite some time...Why on the left side of the station there is a slot between the roof of the station and the roof of that little section. I thought it wasn't done at first, but when I saw an update that said the station was complete, why didn't they cover this portion of the station. Does anyone know the answere?

Chris L
11-17-2004, 09:49 PM
They pushed the date back? I guess it's not a surprise.

So basically what you are saying is that they are going to have an unoffical soft opening. Seems like it to me because if the rides not fully finished then it wouldn't be officially opened.

But the things they probably will leave out people won't even notice.

I wonder if the lake will even be filled in by then.

What? Why don't you re-read my post, this time more carefully...

bk2004
11-17-2004, 10:11 PM
So on December 7th they are going to have a grand opening with a celebration and cutting a rope with giant scissors and balloons and what not, right?

Your just saying that since they are going to open it earlier everything will not be to it's full potential as far as theme or whatver.

That's what I get out of your post.

Chris L
11-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah. But you thought I said that the park pushed the opening date back. I didn't say that. That's what I meant. I was making a comment on how the 24th opening date probably should have stayed as it was.

Wes
11-18-2004, 08:14 AM
I'll ask a stuid question.

What is this??? http://www.americacoasters.com/KBFConstruction/111704/Pages/12.php

Is that like something they ride in to work on the coaster? I've never seen one before.

bk2004
11-18-2004, 09:54 AM
I second on that. It looks like a robot invading the coaster? Never have seen one of those.

Yeah. But you thought I said that the park pushed the opening date back.

Oops. :) I don't know why I said pushed back. I meant to say up. My fault, like always.

magnumxl2005
11-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Yea it does look weird, that be cool to see it go around the loop and cobra roll and stuff, in the video it moves very slowly.

Dan G
11-18-2004, 02:39 PM
That thing is called "The Orb" and it's a maintainence train that helps mechanics get to hard to reach spots on the track. ^ I agree with you, but it can't happen. The orb only goes 2 mph and cant make it over the loop or cobra roll.

Jerry S
11-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Oh, so how would they be able to reach the top of those elements then? Back to the crane? Might as well use that for the whole ride.

Dan G
11-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I know for a fact the orb doesn't make it through the loops...

Unfortunately the small orb is too small to actually even make it through the first vertical loop. Would have been cool to see the maintenance guys ride SB in that thing.

I guess it's possible that it could make it through the cobra roll, but that right there gives you my proof. It looks as if that thing has the ability to spin when going through and inversion, but I guess it can only get through "some" elements.

Jerry S
11-20-2004, 05:15 PM
www.westcoaster.net has amazing pictures on the last page of the 11/18 update. Wowie. Make sure you don't wet yourself.

www.americacoasters.com has more of the same pictures, and a video of testing at night.

Montu Man
11-20-2004, 05:25 PM
The video kind of sucks, since it's when the park is closed, so it just shows the train going trough the cobra roll over and over.

Leo C
11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
The orb looks amazing. It levels itself no matter the angle the wheels are in? So why would they need this orb? It would be good for painting and hovering over the water perhaps. Hopefully not to go maintain a trim brake in the future.

Jerry S
11-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Well, they only test the ride afte rclosing, which is a good idea, so that there are no spoilers. I am angry though, that ride ops get to test it already. In the video one time they were seen in the front train.

Jhcbiinoc
11-20-2004, 07:59 PM
The video kind of sucks, since it's when the park is closed, so it just shows the train going trough the cobra roll over and over.

I actually thought both videos were good. The Americacoasters one shows the the little dip after the drop and the train disappearing down the drop (and from what it looks like, it accelerates pretty good) the loop, the overbank and the drop out of the overbank, the cobra roll, and the zero-g-roll (if you watch the very end, as the train whips through the zero g you hear someone say "Beautiful!"). The RCPro one shows the high amount of speed the ride gets and I liked the addition of the music.

About the only other place you could get a shot of the ride at that time of night would be from the parking lot across the street by Soak City or from the storage lot where most of the drop is visible. For the fact that there is really no way to get in to get more close up shots I gotta say they did a good job.

I am going next Saturday, hopefully they will be testing during operating hours by then, and by then they may have more of the walkways open. Last I heard they were working on the queue entrance (which is supposedly made of rock/stone of some kind) and the station-probably to put in the air gates and station queues-and I would imagine they are trying to get the lake done. My sympathy to the construction crew, that is a huge undertaking to have two weeks to get done.

As far as the ride ops getting to ride before all the rest of us-well, they have to; I'm sure maintenance, the construction crew and maybe even some park execs have as well. As far as employees, I have heard that it is only those who applied for or on the crew are riding it. I think those who have ridden the ride are doing a really good job of keeping it quiet though.

I don't think the trim will be put in, and if it were to be later on, it would only be as a precautionary measure; there is one like that on Talon and I have never heard any complaints about it affecting the ride.

Montu Man
11-20-2004, 10:08 PM
I actually thought both videos were good. The Americacoasters one shows the the little dip after the drop and the train disappearing down the drop (and from what it looks like, it accelerates pretty good) the loop, the overbank and the drop out of the overbank, the cobra roll, and the zero-g-roll (if you watch the very end, as the train whips through the zero g you hear someone say "Beautiful!"). The RCPro one shows the high amount of speed the ride gets and I liked the addition of the music.
I only saw the RCPro one. Whoops.

Jhcbiinoc
11-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Some more new pics, from the 19th and the 20th:

http://www.westcoaster.net/update.php?id=1122041
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/292054

I was very surprised to see that the boat is not going to be doing a path under the coaster track and around the loop.....I had thought that Silver Bullet was designed with the boat traveling underneath the entrance and the exit to the loop in mind.

The entrance to the queue is taking shape and it looks like it will be pretty impressive, and work continues on the lighting for the ride and the lake. Im beginning to wonder with all the dirt if they are going to throw some landscaped islands in the lake as well.

Two more weeks.....can't wait to finally see how this thing rides!

bk2004
11-22-2004, 11:07 PM
That would be very cool if a you could ride a boat under the coaster. Great pictures and viewing! Too bad it's not going to happen.

Little islands in the lake would be really neat, but I doubt it. They have no where else to put the dirt. I guess the lake won't be too deep but it doesn't really need to be.

Jerry S
11-23-2004, 08:14 AM
If it's not as deep it'll be easier to drain and easier to maintain it and the rides around it.

Jhcbiinoc
11-23-2004, 11:11 AM
That would be very cool if a you could ride a boat under the coaster. Great pictures and viewing! Too bad it's not going to happen.

Little islands in the lake would be really neat, but I doubt it. They have no where else to put the dirt. I guess the lake won't be too deep but it doesn't really need to be.

Yeah, I had been hearing people say for months that the plan was to have the boat go out in between the loop and the lead in to the second wingover, but looking at the supports I kept wondering exactly how they were going to pull it off. I started to wonder what was going on when they started pulling all the boat tracks and filled up one side of the canal leading to the lake (where they put one of the Haunt mazes) but I thought that was just temporary. Then they started putting dirt down in the other canal, but I thought that was for a new foundation until they filled it up totally. Maybe it was always just speculation, and they had never planned to bring the boat back into the lake due to clearance issues or something.

As far as picture opportunities.....they could still put the train around the lake back, although I feel they may reroute that as well. There are still a ton of places for photos and a great view.

I think the theory about a much shallower lake-2 or 3 feet deep, if that, is what is happening. It will be interesting to see how they pull that off in 2 weeks. Who knows, they could end up putting fountains in there, there were a lot of stacks of PVC pipe on site, but that could just be for irrigation for the new landscaping. In the westcoaster update, it was cool to see that they are using the same kind of lighting on the loop as they did the lift and the cobra roll.....the lighting on this ride really does look awesome at night.

Leo C
11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
So this lake formerly had a boat ride that traveled on rails? I saw some fireworks launch device in lake pics as well.

Chris L
11-23-2004, 05:06 PM
/\ That would be correct. The Walter K Steamboat.

bk2004
11-23-2004, 07:34 PM
So they totally yanked out the ride for this coaster, just like they did at Carowinds? The Carolina Queen for Borg? Or is it just going to be re-tracked?

Chris L
11-23-2004, 07:40 PM
At this point in time, it looks like the Walter K Steamboat is retired permanently.

Jhcbiinoc
11-23-2004, 08:31 PM
At this point in time, it looks like the Walter K Steamboat is retired permanently.

They could always run it in the very small loop in Camp Snoopy that remains....be a verrry short ride though.....more likely that they will fill that area too and put a new family attraction there in the future.

Jerry S
11-23-2004, 09:25 PM
I think that in any construction, it should look like the ride was added and barely changed much around it. Here, they are moving so much. I guess it's because the park is small.

Chris L
11-23-2004, 10:30 PM
/\ Yep. If you haven't been to Knott's before, then you really have no idea how small the park is in comparison to the size of the rides Cedar Fair puts into it. I'm actually surprised they were able to fit an Inverted coaster as large as Silver Bullet into the park without making everything look so cluttered. But of course, with that, you have to move or demolish a lot of landmarks and pre-existing rides.

The retirement of the Walter K Steamboat is one, so is the relocation of the Church of Reflections next to the Soak City USA water park, as well as the reduction in size to the actual lake - meaning no more fountain shows that always went off every half hour during park operation.

They could always run it in the very small loop in Camp Snoopy that remains....be a verrry short ride though.....more likely that they will fill that area too and put a new family attraction there in the future.

They could, but from the looks of it, they're not.

Jerry S
11-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Well, if they used to have fountain shows, then couldn't they putthem somewhere else in the park. Looking at the park map, and only that, it looks like fiesta village is mushed together but there's more space everywhere else. That's just the map though.

Chris L
11-24-2004, 10:46 PM
The park map is not scale to size. Don't let it fool you. If you haven't been to the park, then don't try suggesting. There is no way a fountain show can be relocated elsewhere, especially when the biggest problem Knott's has is space and they would not go out of their way to move things around just to make way for a new fountain show. That effort is performed only to make way for new attractions.

Jhcbiinoc
11-25-2004, 02:22 AM
The park map is not scale to size. Don't let it fool you.

Very true.....it's more to scale than some I have seen, but still not totally accurate. I was amazed at how they were able to fit Silver Bullet into that area. If you see the park in person, especially from the Sky Tower or Supreme Scream, you can see the space challenges.

Jerry S
11-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Wow, I guess that's true. Just a question though, isn't there an entrance on the other side of the park? Isn't there some room around there, and room for a coaster that would interwine with the rapid ride? Is there some way for the park to get more land? What if they were to move the marketplace and restaraunt or something? It seems that this park can't go on without removing rides all the time.

Jhcbiinoc
11-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Wow, I guess that's true. Just a question though, isn't there an entrance on the other side of the park? Isn't there some room around there, and room for a coaster that would interwine with the rapid ride? Is there some way for the park to get more land? What if they were to move the marketplace and restaraunt or something? It seems that this park can't go on without removing rides all the time.

Yes, there is the Western Entrance, over by where I would predict they would do their next renovation. It's not listed on the park map but the building right next to the bumper cars and the entrance to the theater is KOD (Kingdom Of The Dinosaurs, a dark ride that if I recall right used to be another dark ride called Knott's Bear-y Tales). I think that they may end up taking out KOD for something else in the future, but who knows. There have been rumors about it but nothing solid.

If they were going to build something large (and by that I mean a mid sized coaster or ride, nothing huge) over there, it would necessitate them taking out KOD, relocating the huge arcade and all the shops below the ride, relocating the bumper cars, and probably the closing of that Western entrance. Even then, if it were a larger/mid sized coaster/ride, they would most likely have to build over the rapids ride as well, although that map is a bit deceiving-the rapids ride goes right up to the edge of the park and in between the rapids and the wall is a service road.

You can see the actual size of that area in this picture (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/292054/4/11618845) (sort of). If you look toward the top right of the picture, you can see how close the road is. There really isn't THAT much room.

As far as moving the Marketplace or Resturant.....they already annexed part of what used to be the Marketplace to put in GhostRider in 1999. They most likely will not do that again, but you never know. I doubt it. Getting more land? Unless they relocate part of the backstage/warehouses I don't see it. There is the issue of the neighbors, which are a lot of the reason there is a shed over the top of GhostRider's first drop.

Whatever they do, they will probably do as they have with the past few major additions and get really creative with what space exists.

Jerry S
11-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Creativity is better under pressure, as we see with that park. I can see them relocating Riptide, taking out Boomerand for a robocoaster first generation setup though. But they wouldn't put one if there's one 40 miles south in LL I guess.

Dan G
11-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Theres only so much room a park can have you know. And moving stuff isn't always the solution to the problem. That's why Kennywood has had so hard of a time trying to put in something new to attract the public. If theres no where to build something new and moving things isn't going to solve it, then that park is just going to have to deal with that because theres nothing you can do. I mean, moving things can help sometimes, but in a park like this, theres only so much space you can move things to, and then you have to start taking things out permanently to make room for stuff. I could see Knotts taking out a few things in the future if they planned on putting anything else in the park.

Jerry S
11-26-2004, 02:17 PM
But the ride collection is good. Except of course Windjammer, as I've heard, so some coasters aren't good enough to stay. But they wouldn't take out their three charms anytime soon. And Jaguar!, I can't see that going, that's their only small coaster for big kids. I'm sure that eventually, they'll get alot of money, and but more land to the park for building rights. Something that I've always wanted to see was a coaster that is built out of the park gates, and has elements over the entrance. But the entrance to the ride is in the park. I don't know if you guys can imagine what I mean or not.

Chris L
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Creativity is better under pressure, as we see with that park. I can see them relocating Riptide, taking out Boomerand for a robocoaster first generation setup though. But they wouldn't put one if there's one 40 miles south in LL I guess.

Relocating RipTide? Nawwww. At least not within the next 10 years. They did relocate WipeOut within two years of its opening, but that ride is a lot less smaller and had no interactive theming with it.

Jerry S
11-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Think about Boomerang for a second, it's themeless, so it went in the middle of the boardwalk. I don't understand why they got it. It's like something they would sell in the next few years to replace with a Huss Giant ride. Maybe a frisbee. MMMMmmmm.

Chris L
11-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Boomerang was built in 1990. The Knott's family didn't retheme the Roaring 20's area into The Boardwalk until 1996. All attractions that came after that were Boardwalk/Beach/1950's/Ocean related.

Montu Man
11-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Why would they relocate RipTide? They just opened it.

Chris L
11-26-2004, 08:47 PM
/\ My thoughts exactly. I guess meowcoaster is just making a suggestion as to what the park can do to free up space for a future attraction - although his idea won't happen anytime soon (YEARS AND YEARS).

Jerry S
11-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Yea, I see what you mean. Whee is the parking lot for this park? Maybe CF will have to start sinking into the parking lot thing.

Montu Man
11-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Since SB is like 16 million, I can't see them getting anything new anytime soon. They just got spoiled with a bunch of stuff this year. I think other CF parks will get the attention next year.

Dan G
11-27-2004, 02:18 AM
^ Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I mean, after the new water park at Geauga Lake is finished in 2006, it opens up tons of land on the rides side of the park once Hurricane Hannah's waterpark is no more. I could possibly see some kind of coaster going in there. And let's not forgot Cedar Point who is supposed to get something big in 2007. I'm thinking, CF put the two coasters in at KBF and DP this year because they're trying to keep their money tight for the next few years for some of these attractions that I've listed. I can't see Knotts getting anything more than a flat ride within the next few years. That's just my opinion though.

Jerry S
11-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Well, DP is a park that is easy to please. They get Talon, Meteor, Revolution, WWK improvements, and Hydra, and that's over the last 4 years. The park is roomy, easy to expand. The problem is, DP and KBF have about the same amount of rides, and KBF is half the size. That's tough to handle. But CF knows how to keep their parks in business. They pick the right locations that don't have much competition (except CP, which gets a new ride nearly every year). Dorney is in an area where it's the only big park for NE PA, Border NY area, and NW NJ too. And I go there, even thoguh GAdv is a little bit closer. Valleyfair is the only big park for the twin cities area, WOF for the area it's in, and same for MA. And Knotts in the only thrill ride park for the San Diego, Riverside and OC counties. CF knows where the parks should be, and how to treat them, and that makes them successful. Knotts won't get a new coaster for a while, but they'll get flats every once in a while.

Chris L
11-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Since SB is like 16 million, I can't see them getting anything new anytime soon. They just got spoiled with a bunch of stuff this year. I think other CF parks will get the attention next year.

Silver Bullet is under Knott's 2005 capital expenditures. So even though it opens late 2004, it's considered by Cedar Fair an '05 addition.

Yea, I see what you mean. Whee is the parking lot for this park? Maybe CF will have to start sinking into the parking lot thing.

The parking lot setup for Knott's is not like Magic Mountain, where they can just extend the park borders and build into the parking lot. Knott's parking lot is across a major highway (Highway 16/Beach Boulevard) next to the Resort's Soak City USA waterpark, picnic area, and Independence Hall. The clever thing is that the way cars enter this lot is through an underpass below the highway from the main Knott's drive-entry area (if heading South), and directly into the lot from Highway 16 (if heading North). Guests then walk from the lot to the grand entrance via pedestrian underpass below the highway.

bk2004
11-27-2004, 10:41 PM
/\ Have you been to Kennywood? It's the same thing exactly if I read your statement corectly. You park on the other side of the highway and walk under it through a tunnel to get to the park. Very cool.

Jerry S
11-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Yea, that prevents alot. What if the park began a SFKK-esque layout, have a special path to bring you to some fenced off rides on the other side, or......or.....IDK, I'm desperate, I guess they'll figure it out when they need to. It looks like a good park, as long as it's maintained well. I guess they get crowds when families with older kids visit Disneyland. I hear people often go to Sea World and the Zoo, why wouldn't they visit Knott's as well?

radioactiveduck
11-28-2004, 01:10 AM
I hope SFMM doesn't get all boxed in like DL and KBF. Valencia is really springing up, SF should considering buying some land in the hills behind the park before there's a housing tract put in.

Jerry S
11-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Bu they have an enormous parking lot, bigger than many others (I've seen National Lampoons Vacation, I would know) SF doesn't seem to need land inside the park to make a new coaster (Scream).

Dennis
11-29-2004, 07:58 PM
http://www.xtremecoasters.com/index.php?act=gallery

Latest Silver bullet update can be found there^... Or semi-latest, Its from November 25th, We have a HUGE update and pics of Silber Bullet from every angle. There are some amazing never before seen shots. Check it out

Chris L
11-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Valencia is really springing up, SF should considering buying some land in the hills behind the park before there's a housing tract put in.

They have been considering buying land around the park for YEARS. The only problem? All the land surrounding the park is owned by Newhall Land Development, a company that plans to develop it into apartment complexes, stores, plazas, motels, hotels, and shopping centers. You can already see this in progress as I type this - new buildings are popping up closer and closer to the once completely isolated amusement park. This causes for big problems in the future for Six Flags dealing with noise issues/expansion plans. Ironically, it was Newhall in partnership with SeaWorld that built the park in 1971. But since the park is in different hands now, they could care less.

Bu they have an enormous parking lot, bigger than many others (I've seen National Lampoons Vacation, I would know) SF doesn't seem to need land inside the park to make a new coaster (Scream).

Yes, their parking lot is big, but not as big as you may think. The entire paved lot is filled during the summertime and the overflow dirt lot at the very back of the park has to be used and sometimes that gets completely filled too. Scream! was an act of desperation by the park to install a ride of that size in a short period of time (in my opinion), so the most logical way to do it for management was to expand the area by Batman The Ride and Colossus outward to accomodate the ride. But keep in mind that the "parking lot area" that Scream! occupies was the old employee lot. The park will not keep expanding into the guest lot.

Jerry S
11-29-2004, 08:36 PM
I can't imagine having such a crowded lot. This is unfair, this amost happened to GAm too, people began complaining about the noise who live in Gurnee, but the park was there firts. Luckily, all complaints have been sustained with that reason.

bk2004
11-29-2004, 10:06 PM
I can't see SFMM with things around it. All I picture is vast open mountains. Maybe one side of it with an interstate and a few fast food joints and gas stations...because it's a theme park. But nothing major.

Dan G
11-29-2004, 10:27 PM
^ Mountains? I think not...I'd say more on the lines of dirt hills. :D

Jhcbiinoc
11-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Returning to the topic of Silver Bullet, nice shots on the xtremecoasters update.

Nothing major that I know of with construction, aside from all the little things they need to do over the next week. When I was there Saturday, they were working on what looks to be a gift shop underneath the area where the zero-g roll is, doing the paint touch up on the track and minor things in the queue and station, and putting markers up for a path where the old canal connecting the Walter K in its new and smaller home and the lake was. I would guess they will pour the new lake tomorrow, if they didn't today.

I did find it interesting on the Calico Railroad when we passed Silver Bullet, that the announcer said it turned you upside down seven times. I would agree that the overbank should count as an inversion. Just one more week......

Jerry S
11-30-2004, 08:15 AM
www.westcoaster.net

I guess they got a really close area to the trains and got some good pics.

Chris L
11-30-2004, 02:33 PM
That's the test-seat you _____. :rolleyes:

Dan G
11-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know why the left side of the roof is cut off in the middle on the left side? I have asked this before but never got a response. During construction I thought it was just unfinished, but now that they have finished the exterior of the station, and the gap is still there, I'm still curious why that one portion is missing on the roof. Anyone know why?

EDIT: I see that the far left portion is the wheel chair elevator, but why wouldn't they just cover the entire area so theres no gap in the roof. Just wondering.

Chris L
11-30-2004, 07:46 PM
I don't know what you mean with the cut in the middle of the roof.

Montu Man
11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
How come they don't test it in the day?

Chris L
11-30-2004, 10:37 PM
They will, once opening day approaches. The reason they did night testing weeks back is 'cause a lot of the fencing around the ride close to the midway was not put up yet. But then again, it looks as if all the required testing has been completed.

Dan G
12-01-2004, 11:24 PM
I don't know what you mean with the cut in the middle of the roof.

What I mean is there is a gap between the roof on what I suppose is the elevator for wheel chairs and the station roof itself. Look at these pics to see what I mean.

Pic 1 (http://www.westcoaster.net/images/updates/112804/112804-kbf006-lrg.jpg)

Pic 2 (http://americacoasters.com/KBFConstruction/92504/Photos/4.jpg)

bk2004
12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Oh, that's what you mean.

The roof isn't missing. The elevator shaft is for the people who are in wheelchairs of course and since that's not connected to the building itself they had to add a walk way. Once you get out of the elevator, you wheel the wheelchair over the walk way into the station. They just didn't cover the walk-way that connects the elevator and station. Why? It doesn't really matter. It's only a couple of feet.

Dan G
12-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I knew it was a elevator shaft, I just didn't see any reasoning not to just connect the whole thing...I just thought it looked weird at first, and when I saw the update saying the station was complete, I found it odd that a chunk of the roof was missing. I guess I shouldnt' be worrying about stupid things like that anyways. :D

Chris L
12-02-2004, 01:50 AM
It's not odd-looking. I think it would look uglier by having a piece of station branch out like that to form the elevator shaft. Plus, enclosing that part of the roof would mean no sunlight could go through. I you know you all favor open-aired/bright stations compared to dark and shadowy ones. ;)

Jhcbiinoc
12-02-2004, 03:25 AM
^I agree that it does not look odd. I personally think the station looks good as is (a cover over the transfer would be cool, but it still looks fine without it) and the area surrounding the ride is coming together quite nicely. Heard they are apparently doing a lot of new landscaping around the ride and the paths surrounding it. I think they finished the entrance and the queue by now. Don't know how the lake is coming, though, last time I saw they were still putting dirt in and had put a lot by the loop, I am hoping it is still a decent sized body of water.....

Edit: Found a few new pics (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/304651)
Here is one of some of the landscaping going on (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/304651/4/12105475)
Path where the old boat canal to the lake was (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/304651/4/12110131)
Lake work (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/304651/5/12110141)

I had heard that the required testing was pretty far along but I did not know it was done. I had thought one reason for not testing during opening hours was that there were no nets above walkways yet, but maybe night is the best time.

I look forward to finally getting a chance to ride next Tuesday, and see if it rides as good as it looks. I heard a lot of the employees got to ride already, that's a nice employee benefit!

Dan G
12-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Well, I don't think it looks odd anymore, I've just been curious for so long why exactly they never covered that portion of the station. I guess that answers my question now. I don't think it makes it look bad or anything, because everything so far looks superb on this coaster.

Jerry S
12-03-2004, 02:27 PM
www.americacoasters.com

YAY!!

Jhcbiinoc
12-03-2004, 04:03 PM
^I think they are doing a nice job of landscaping as well as theming, and I think they put the on ride photo in a pretty cool spot. I was expecting that it would go right after the overbank, but where it is could be even better. I get the feeling that when you are exiting the cobra roll it looks as if you are going to plow right through the wooden fence just as you go up to enter the zero-g roll, so you may get some shocked expressions; and, from the videos I have seen of testing, it looks as if the train is going very fast at that point.

It looks like they are working right along on the lake, if it will indeed have water on Tuesday then I would suspect they would pour the concrete today or tomorrow, to give it time. From this pic

http://www.americacoasters.com/KBFConstruction/120304/Pages/07.php

It looks like they are digging out a small lake around the loop and then putting an elevated part in between that and the rest of the lake. Maybe they will run the train route through there, which would be kind of cool, as I don't think the train will be able to circle the entire lake like it once did. Or, that could just be a path over to where they are building the new walkway.

In any case, look forward to seeing everything up close on Tuesday.

Jerry S
12-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I can't see where there is a lake. There aren't any dugout areas that I can see, or I just can't see. I have the feeling the lake is no longer.

Dan G
12-03-2004, 11:16 PM
^ Yeah, same here...I don't see where there is a drop down of any sort that the water will be at. But why would they release pictures of the finished ride with a lake with it. I don't think they'll leave out the lake, unless they made last minute changes.

Chris L
12-04-2004, 07:24 AM
There will be a lake, albeit not a very deep one (it was shallow to begin with). You have to look at really hard at the photographs.

bk2004
12-04-2004, 01:11 PM
I had no clue that Jaguar went under this coaster after the first drop. That is why it's 'un-steep.'

I love the cactus. Are they going to grow really tall to where they could get in the way of the ride, or are they too far away?

Look how steep Perilous Plunge is! WOW! I had no idea. That must be an eye-soar on the road next to it!

Chris L
12-04-2004, 04:57 PM
No...there are different kinds of Cacti and the ones planted beneath the cobra-roll are the small kind that stay small.

And what do you mean "That must be an eye-soar on the road next to it?" (Plunge).

bk2004
12-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Oh ok.

Perilous Plunge is right up against the road, and people driving by must be "WOW!"
That's what I mean.

Chris L
12-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Haha. Yeah, you have no idea. Along that street is where employees turn into a lot for parking. And when I worked there, you always see traffic slow down alongside the park with Perilous Plunge in clear view.

CPdude05
12-04-2004, 05:46 PM
DANG!! That is very steep. I must ride.....

Is it only 3 more days? Wow, time flies!

Jhcbiinoc
12-04-2004, 06:26 PM
^I will say this much for Perilous Plunge: The drop is a lot of fun and as steep on the ride as it looks off the ride. I'm not too big on rides that get you that drenched to the core, or I would go on it more often.

I also notice traffic backing up at the light where Xcel is......

Yep, three more days. Time flies, I remember a year ago when the ride had just been announced......it's been interesting to watch it all come together. I am curious to see with everything done how the final product will look with the lake and the rides that closed to build it running again. From what I have been hearing, the ride does not disappoint. Can't wait to see firsthand.....

Dan G
12-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Knotts has really done a great job making this coaster look extremely good...I was very surprised that they could fit such a large coaster in that semi-small area and the outcome is just phenomenal. Hopefully I'll get to see how great this summer when I go down to Cali next summer. I must just plan a nice little trip down to Knotts instead of SFMM.

Jerry S
12-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Well, yes, CF is generally better at making sure that things look good, and I hope that this will not dissapoint. I am expecting this to be better than Alpengeist, meaning that I should enjoy the overbank more than I did the immelman, and that the helix must be more forceful. That'll pretty much do the trick.

Jhcbiinoc
12-05-2004, 09:50 PM
^There is a new update over at http://www.westcoaster.net. Hopefully, they got the lake poured yesterday before the downpour that we have had all day. It was raining at midnight last night and I don't think it has stopped all day.

Looks as if the ride that will actually be doing a small circle around the loop is not the Walter K after all, but rather the train ride.

In re the ride being better than Alpengeist, word among employees that have had a chance to ride is that SB is very intense. This was what one of them said on both RCPro and Westcoaster:

"OMG, Last night they had employee ride time, and i got to ride it. It was Amazing!!! The ride is very intense and I do think that a trim brack will be used because the helix is very similar to Goliath and we all got dizzy afterwards. The overbank has a great amount of airtime and the cobra roll whips you through. The zero-g roll and the turn was fun and the flatspins were taken kina fast, you lift out of your seat alot... also the drop looks slow and boring, but you fly down that thing, especially in the back! This is going to be one of the top rated coasters by everyone and it blows Raptor and batman out of the water...."

Sounds good to me.....all but the trim brake.....I hope they never add trims to this ride.....

Jerry S
12-06-2004, 07:55 AM
OoOoOoOo, ride reviews, I like.

Well, one more day, and we'll be getting many more reviews, sounds exciting.

bk2004
12-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Haha, I saw that one coming. Air time on the over-bank? Wow.

Now I want to go to Cali so badly! I can't wait to read a review from somone on TN.

Jerry S
12-06-2004, 02:24 PM
So who is going to this for opening? Show yourselves now so that I can hate you :devil:

Jhcbiinoc
12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
^I will be going tomorrow.....and will post a review as soon as I get back.

Dan G
12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
^ They're going to have a good time waiting a few hours to ride it first...I'd be happy just to wait till next summer to ride it.

Jerry S
12-06-2004, 04:35 PM
^ It's a tuesday, there will be a much bigger commotion over pearl harbor memorial day as well. And this is just an invert, I'd expect the wait to be about 1 hour at most for that ride and walkon everything else.

slipknot8527
12-06-2004, 08:09 PM
eeeeh...I still maintain my position on the first drop sucking.

magnumxl2005
12-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Yes same here^^^ the rest of the ride looks awsome!! But i dont see this being more intense then alpengeist, in a couple months that would me cool to do a poll.

Jerry S
12-06-2004, 08:37 PM
I don't think that it matters that much, as long as the train accelerates. I only care that drops are fast when they're mostly straight, the banked ones are fun because they're banked. Then again, Alpengeist's drop set up the whole ride.

magnumxl2005
12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Meowcoaster have you ever ridden alpengeist? If so come back and tell us which coaster is better in 17 days

Jerry S
12-06-2004, 09:26 PM
You saw me in DP, which shirt was I wearing? And what's my AIM? Yes, I've ridden Alpengeist, and it's currently number two, after Volcano.

Dan G
12-06-2004, 10:16 PM
I have a feeling Silver Bullet will be bettter...I mean, yeah Alpengeist got the height and speed, but for as much speed as Silver Bullet has, and as small as the layout is, I'm sure it will be just as exciting or even more exciting. With Alpengeist's size, you have to put in bigger elements as well which takes away from the flying through the elements sensation that you'll probable get on SB. Silver Bullet is such a compact design with a punch, and it's definetly going to be flying through it's elements at good speeds which also adds to the experience. That's mainly why I think SB will be better than Alpengeist.

Jerry S
12-07-2004, 08:26 AM
I like how the ride is 40 feet above the ground at al times, that's pretty cool.

Jerry S
12-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Anyone? Come on, I don't know how much longer I can wait!!!

bk2004
12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Man, how I would kill to not only go to Knott's, but to actually ride Silver Bullett. This coaster looks amazing like others have said. I so want to go. How lucky, you Californian's!

Leo C
12-07-2004, 01:12 PM
so it has a Grand Opening @ 12pm PST, 3pm EST

Jerry S
12-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Alpie's drop though, amn, that is the one of the steepest drops, and it's like sideways too.

Ok, so as soon as I get home, I must go to the website and such.

magnumxl2005
12-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Hahaha sorry meow I kind of forgot. Today is the day!! yaaay

Jerry S
12-07-2004, 04:39 PM
That's cool, I can't expect everyone to always be thinking about numer uno. jk

So, then I wonder if there will be a news article in and OC paper, let's go check it out now........

magnumxl2005
12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Its on the tn headlines now, go check it out!

Jerry S
12-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Oh, snap, I know, I just saw it!! There aren't enough pics, time to go to our good friend James Disney (Westcoaster)

Not there yet, but check back there later today or tomorow, it'll be there.

Chris L
12-07-2004, 07:31 PM
I get to ride tomorrow. I know I know. I'm rubbing it in all your faces. But who wouldn't given the chance ;) Then I'll return and give you the scoop on whether or not Silver Bullet clips Raptor's wings.

Dan G
12-07-2004, 08:43 PM
^ Clips...I think the more suitable form to say that is punctures...Maybe this coaster may bring an end to Raptor's great legacy. But like the myth says, a silver bullet can kill anything. ;)

Jerry S
12-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Well, this is CF again you know, I mean, Talon is the second best B&M invert, but looks to be moved to third.

Dan G
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Agreed...It's funny how CF holds al three inverts in the top three. Wonder if that tells anyone how good they can design their coasters with the company.

Does anyone know if the lake ended up getting filled for opening day. I doubt it did, but I'm just curious.

bk2004
12-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know if the lake ended up getting filled for opening day. I doubt it did, but I'm just curious.

No, it wasn't.

Those pictures in the update were kinda stupid. Only five!

But that one picture of the overbank showed how overbanked it gets! And that wasn't even the full banking on it! :eek:

Dan G
12-07-2004, 10:54 PM
^ Yes, agreed. I think they would have done a better job at least in the quality of the pictures that were going to be released...But rest assured, let's all hope someone comes along with some great pics to show us from opening day.

bk2004
12-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Well, if I'm not mistaking I think those pictures are from an on-ride video. But I don't know why they just put five of them on their. Why not the whole video! :)

Dan G
12-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah that would have been nice...But what I'm really hoping for is to see some good pics of the station and surroundings of the coaster complete. I hope somone comes through (Westcoaster, RCPro, whoever) comes through with some pics to show the finished product at opening day. I think once the lake gets filled this thing is going to look awesome.

Jhcbiinoc
12-08-2004, 01:57 AM
The lake was filled today.....more theming had been added, and the ride is awesome.

I would give it a solid 10/10 overall, including ride experience, theming (and I could tell they are still working on details of the theming and landscaping, but the amount of work they got done for today was amazing and I cannot wait to see when it is totally done), and quality of the crew/dispatch etc....I thought they really had their act together.

Silver Bullet is very rerideable, both fun and intense at the same time. Smooth as glass, and just intense enough without being so intense that it could make you have to wait too long between rides, unlike Batman:TR which I don't think I could ride too many times in a short period. It's been a long time since I have ridden the same coaster 9 times within a few hours, but this one I was able to and I enjoyed it just as much every time.

I thought it had good pacing between elements. After that little dip and slight pause before the first drop, it goes on nonstop from one element to the next gracefully.

The fiirst drop was so much fun that I forgot it was not all that steep, with good banking and nice acceleration. Good hang time in the loop, and overbank was a new sensation. All of the elements flowed good to me, and were nicely executed. And instead of a finale that just kind of dwindles as some rides do, this one hits you with a punch at the end with the helix.

All day/night heard a lot of random comments from people getting off the ride....."Great ride", "awesome ride", "Knott's needs more rides like this one" and so forth, which can only be good, and makes me glad I was able to hit it so many times sans full switchbacks.

SB is a different experience in different seats and rows, I thought front seat was the best hands down and worth the wait, although I did enjoy the back rows as well.

The ride interacts with the park and surroundings very well in my opinion. If more of this kind of theming and attention to detail is in Knott's future, I think that's a good thing.

Silver Bullet is definitely in my Top Ten Coasters now, and I think it's a great addition to Knott's.

Chris L
12-08-2004, 05:32 AM
It's (http://americacoasters.com/KBFConstruction/120704/Photos/3.jpg) just (http://americacoasters.com/KBFConstruction/120704/Photos/6.jpg) beautiful (http://americacoasters.com/KBFConstruction/120704/Photos/10.jpg).

SFOG Freak
12-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Heres the link to the actual page...
http://www.americacoasters.com/KBFConstruction/120704/Pages/pg1.php

Jerry S
12-08-2004, 07:36 AM
That made my day!!!

bk2004
12-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Man, this ride is going to be lucrative, if not already! Good investment!

I want to ride this so badly. It looks wicked.

Does the floor not drop down in the station.

Well, everyone enjoy it. I'll have to stick with Top Gun, and that's not even open! :(

Dan G
12-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Wow I'm amazed at how good this coaster looks...I was skeptical at first at how good the colors would fit together but this just looks amazing. This year and next year are very good years for B&M, lot's of excellent coaster getting added to their list.

Jerry S
12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I have a big feeling that they have a project in secret planned as well. But my hunches are usually stupid, so don't mind me. But remeber, just in case, I will hold you all to that.

TDMAMBA
12-08-2004, 04:35 PM
actually, There is a VERY HUGE rumor about WOF. We may be the next to get B&M in 2006. Alot of talk has been going around a huge custom Inverted to replace the OE. I'll make sure to keep you updated,but it seems an announcement could come as early as next spring.

Jhcbiinoc
12-08-2004, 05:04 PM
>Man, this ride is going to be lucrative, if not already! Good investment!<

I think so as well. There were a lot of people there last night who would get off, comment on what a great ride they thought it was, then go back around to ride again. The GP is going to love this ride, and it is going to draw some big crowds. The entire area where they put it is really looking great, and from what I understand the theming still is not finished. All in all, it was just a good "fit"-a good, quality ride that is intense without being too intense, an interesting "theme" to the ride, even with it's own "The Legend Of The Silver Bullet" sign by the queue, great landscaping, a crew that gets riders enthusiastic about the ride ("Are you guys excited?") and just an overall good experience.

>I want to ride this so badly. It looks wicked.<

It delivers, at least in my opinion, One person I rode with yesterday used the term "Perfect" to describe the ride and the overall experience. I personally have not been on Raptor but I heard at least three people say that they thought SB was a better Invert.

>Does the floor not drop down in the station.<

Yes-it does, about 3 seconds before the train rolls out.

>Wow I'm amazed at how good this coaster looks...I was skeptical at first at how good the colors would fit together but this just looks amazing.<

It's not just the colors, but the way the coaster fits into the park altogether; the balance of the rides now, the new area surrounding the coaster, and everything else. Seeing it in person you can see all the work that was put into the planning to make this a part of the Knott's experience. There should be more pics going online over the next few days. I have some I am getting developed over the next couple of days, and will take more on the 11th/18th when I go back to the park.

>Wow I'm amazed at how good this coaster looks...I was skeptical at first at how good the colors would fit together but this just looks amazing. This year and next year are very good years for B&M, lot's of excellent coaster getting added to their list.<

They did a good job with this one, and it was better than the other most recent B&M I rode (Scream!). I would love to see Knott's get a floorless in the future as well. B&M continues to deliver well engineered rides.

Jerry S
12-08-2004, 06:54 PM
I can see them getting a jump2 as their next big ride. That's just me. I want to ride this alot. How's that helix?

Jhcbiinoc
12-08-2004, 07:32 PM
^Helix=most forceful part of the ride. Very intense, especially in the front row.

Leo C
12-08-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm glad I still have Talon within 2 hours of my house, so I'm not so aching since I'm not on the West Coast.

slipknot8527
12-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Ehhhh...I still say the drop sucks.

Chris L
12-09-2004, 01:09 AM
Your opinion doesn't matter. You haven't been on it yet.

As for the lake - it looks really nice. http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/updates/kbf12.8.04/IMG_2221.jpg

Jhcbiinoc
12-09-2004, 03:42 AM
^The lake does look good. I wonder if they are going to put water in the section with the rocks as well. I can tell they are still not done with everything, but I'm sure the crew is taking a few well deserved day off before completing the train tracks and final landscaping and theming touches. Would be interesting if that firehose gets worked into the theme somehow as well. I look forward to seeing what else is done when I get back there next week. I also have to add that it is really nice not to have all the pathways closed, and also to have more pathways added to the front of the park.

In re the drop, I actually thought it wasn't bad, and I am a fan of steep drops (the descent from the top hat on Xcelerator and the first drop on X being my favorites). What Silver Bullet's initial drop lacks in steepness it makes up for in speed and the banking and adds to the flying sensation. It's 40 degrees, and that's only 5 degrees less steep than Raptor's; you rarely hear people complain about that one. And, the exit/drop out of the overbank seems to be at least a 55 degree angle, and falling into that and right down to the ground after being nearly but not quite upside down is a pretty cool feeling.

Speaking of Raptor, as I had said in an earlier post, I heard more than a few people say that Silver Bullet was better. I cannot say that for sure, but I did think it was far better than Batman: The Ride.

SFOG Freak
12-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Your opinion doesn't matter. You haven't been on it yet.

As for the lake - it looks really nice. http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/updates/kbf12.8.04/IMG_2221.jpg
I'm not sure if I like the lake that much. It's alright I guess, but theres something I don't like about it. Hey, maybe that pipe thats sticking out of the water will provide a mist effect like Iron Dragon at CP. Now that would kick ass...

Jerry S
12-09-2004, 07:44 AM
I like how it's so reflective, that's nice.

Chiller, you're right Talon isn't too far away, and it's a great ride. I'm not quite sure how the helixes of the two compare, so I'll tell you in 2 1/2 weeks.

<<Doesn't want to wait any longer!!

bk2004
12-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Whoa, it's like green. I like it though.

Is that tree right under the first drop?

The mist would be cool!

Dan G
12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
The lake looks very nice even if it's not the same as it used to be...All good additions need change though so they did a good job with the lake after building the coaster instead of just taking the lake out completely. And as for the mist effect, that would be really cool, I guess it's a possibility. I'm wondering what that pipe will be for.

Jerry S
12-09-2004, 05:03 PM
No wonder the drop isn't steep, because they would have to take out a bunch of trees and paths. I think they may have alot of those pipes in the coaster's footers, all for fog. And I bet if it is fog, it'll be working within a week. That would be cool. Is the fog on Iron Dragon there during the day or at night only?

SFOG Freak
12-09-2004, 05:12 PM
^ The mist is usually on throughout the whole day. Sometimes, though, it wont be. Most of the time, it's only shut off for a little while, but it has been off for a full day.

The only down side to having mist is when it's cold out. It doesn't feel very good. Of course, they could always turn it off it's cold.

hulkrider04
12-09-2004, 06:10 PM
I want to ride that so bad

Jhcbiinoc
12-09-2004, 06:26 PM
>I'm wondering what that pipe will be for.<

Rumor has it that it is part of the unfinished theming for the ride, and that there is more to come. Not sure yet on that, but it would not surprise me.

One thing you don't see in the pics is some of the other theming; right before the trestle bridge the train goes over they have started putting up some railroad theming over in front of the rock covered pool below the loop. I think I got one of that in my pics, they aren't developed yet but will have them soon. Someone else will probably have them first.

>No wonder the drop isn't steep, because they would have to take out a bunch of trees and paths.<

They really did a good job of keeping the existing trees and landscaping intact while building this. It's not just the trees and paths; one of the issues with the drop was clearing Jaguar and the existing buildings and rides, as well as the trees. The ride comes pretty darn close to Jaguar as it is.

Chris L
12-09-2004, 08:21 PM
They really did a good job of keeping the existing trees and landscaping intact while building this. It's not just the trees and paths; one of the issues with the drop was clearing Jaguar and the existing buildings and rides, as well as the trees. The ride comes pretty darn close to Jaguar as it is.

Yeah. I would go as far as to say an excellent job. Considering the plot of land B&M engineers and designers was given to work with. A good reason as to why a lot of the drop/element support columns looks very mishapen, out of place or cartoony is because choosing the placement for footer-anchoring was very crucial as to not to rupture existing sewer/water/electrical pipes and wires already below ground.

Jerry S
12-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Yea, one support is going throught the gift shop!!!

I've read many reviews in this ride, most saying that this ride wasn't as forceful as they expected it to be, and that B:TR has more force and such.

Jhcbiinoc
12-09-2004, 10:03 PM
^It's forceful without being too forceful, if that makes sense. Whereas I could easily reride this one over and over again several times in a row, if I tried that on B:TR I might get ill.

It's a perfect addition; intense enough for most thrillseekers, but not so intense that most people won't go on it, which makes for a good fit for Knott's demographic.

^^I'd agree. It's really impressive the way they fit this ride in.

Chris L
12-10-2004, 06:47 AM
http://www.americacoasters.com/videos/qt/bulletfinal.mov

Here's a very well choreographed on-ride/off-ride video of Silver Bullet. Very good quality with a decent soundtrack and it's very lengthy. Warning to those without broadband internet - don't download it - it'll take HOURS. And for those WITH broadband, right-mouse click save the file - it'll be faster than clicking the link directly.

Jerry S
12-10-2004, 07:47 AM
I think that pipe is a fog blast cannon. As soon as the train goes through that part of the ride, fog will blast out right at the train. Notice how it's pointed right in that dirction. That would scare the bujesus out of me.

Jhcbiinoc
12-10-2004, 05:29 PM
^What I heard about the water cannon was this that I read on another board: "According to sources Jack also wants "hydraulic strip mining" equip near the helix to be used as theming...the equip will shoot out a stream of water towards the train. Let's hope that happens." Now THAT to me would be cool.

But the pipe itself IS a water cannon, not a fog cannon. There was water coming out of it the day before opening and early opening day, I think, as well. I am hoping that they end up putting water in the rocky pool below the loop, but even if they don't it still looks nice.

Speaking of fog, they way end up doing something with fog and this ride next year at Halloween Haunt, which would be cool. The "Swamp" area will be back to it's full glory again next year, and I can imagine they will go all out for the event. For Halloween, would be awesome to have fog in the lake and switch the lighting to the ride to blue and red.

^^Yeah, that is a good video. Captures the ride very well, I thought.

Jerry S
12-10-2004, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't want to get soaked sitting in the front seat though. And any cannon shooting at me coming around a curve of a helix will probably make me **** myself.

Montu Man
12-10-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm glad I still have Talon within 2 hours of my house, so I'm not so aching since I'm not on the West Coast.
And I got Dueling Dragons and Montu an hour away, both better then SB, I know it... ;)

Jhcbiinoc
12-10-2004, 09:42 PM
^^I don't think it would really get riders wet, would just give the illusion that they were going to get sprayed.

SFOG Freak
12-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Heres another video...
http://www.xcen.net/videos/silverbullet.mpg

Leo C
12-11-2004, 01:36 AM
It looks really cool. Visually it does not move me more than Talon, but the over the water mechanics look cool. In video the first drop doesn't look bad like some peeps may have made it look to be. It looks like something I could do in RCT2; that's good.

Dan G
12-11-2004, 02:03 AM
As all of you guys are saying about the water cannon, I doubt that it's actually going to blast water at the train, but rather shoot a mist like Iron Dragon does at Cedar Point. I don't think anyone is going to appreciate geting soaked on a coaster, especially those on the front seat.

Jerry S
12-11-2004, 10:10 AM
^ that's what I'm thinking. Like a cannon that blasts mist and scares you, but won't get you wet. That second video is a dead link for me.

slipknot8527
12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Is there a possiblility it could shoot water up in a way that makes it look like the train is skimming the water? Like Sheikra?

Jerry S
12-11-2004, 05:23 PM
No. Impossible. It would be impossile to change the nozzle similar to that of a garden hose setting that fans the water out in a thin sheet, creating the effect of the splashdown.

Not sure if that's possible though. But that'd look dumb, just having water shoot off the sides. It's better to have a puff of mist, that'd scare unsuspecting riders.

fanramones
12-12-2004, 06:27 PM
I rode the silver bullet yesterday. The first drop is ok and the loop is ok too, but the nearly upside turn after the loop is one of my favorite parts of the ride. very good roller coaster

Chip
12-12-2004, 07:41 PM
The ride's open now, so I'm closing this thread. Please direct discussion and reviews to this thread (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=32841).