PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 VS Halo 2 Which will dominate?

Kyle L
09-27-2003, 01:13 AM
This is a simple poll, which game will dominate? Half Life 2 or Halo 2?

I totally say Half Life 2 will crush Halo 2. Just think of Counterstrike mod for Half Life 2. InSANE! I am very much excited about Halo 2 as well, but Half Life is such a great game. Especially one that came out in like 1998. Half Life 2's graphics look amazing and the storyline will of course be top notch. I can't wait.

What do YOU think?

slipknot8527
09-27-2003, 03:27 AM
Well, to say it will CRUSH it is a bit much...to me it breaks down like this:

Half Life 2 looks to have the slight edge in graphics...

Halo 2 has the slight edge in fanbase, AI, and gameplay.

But Half Life 2 was more hyped and appreciated at E3.
So, I honestly dont know...

Skye
09-27-2003, 06:55 AM
i didn't like halo so its got to be HL2.

slipknot8527
09-27-2003, 07:22 AM
*punches sense into Skye*

SFGadvKing
09-27-2003, 10:14 AM
i've never really played half life but halo is my second favorite video game of all time. one of the best (if not the best) parts of the game was multiplayer and with halo 2 it will use xbox live, it should be amazing talking to your teammates while stratagizing with them in capture the flag. just imagine that.

Alex T
09-27-2003, 10:49 AM
To me, Half Life 2 looks like it'll be better. I haven't really seen too much about Halo 2 that I'm just dying to have it, but it'll still be awesome.

coasetrphil
09-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Easily Halo 2. I didn't really care for the first Half Life, and I don't think there is anyway it will live up to the hype.

Kyle L
09-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Remember people. Don't compare Half-Life to Halo. Half Life was a game that came out in 1998. Halo came out in 2001. So there are many graphics differences. However, I found the plot of Half Life to beat the crap out of Halo. the fanbase of Half Life is extremely popular with the PC gamers.

The reasons I think that Half Life 2 will win, is because of it's cutting edge graphics. Proabobly a better plot, and proabobly better gameplay and lasting appeal. I know Halo 2 will have a long lasting appeal, but I am STILL playing CounterStrike and Half Life, from a game that came out in 1998, that's amazing.

Skye
09-27-2003, 01:29 PM
well it looks dated now, but at the time it was amazing and deserved to sell well. Probably the best single player game ever, although splinter cell was pretty cool (didn't expect it to be at all, but its additctive after you play for a while and get past the boring begining. As good as tomb raider 1 was when it was released).

Actually thinkking about goldeneye was almost as good, and NOLF (not perfect, feels unfinished but very underated and a lot of fun) was good...

coasetrphil
09-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Halo 2's graphics are amazing as well, and have you seen the E3 trailer yet. That alone should show you how awesome it will be.

Kyle L
09-27-2003, 01:37 PM
I think we all know that Half Life 2 will play way better on a nice PC :).

coaster9freak
09-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Did I ever finish HL? No
Did I ever finish Halo? Yes

Figure out my answer....

Raptordude=PC fanboy

Skye
09-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by coaster9freak
Did I ever finish HL? No
Did I ever finish Halo? Yes

Figure out my answer....

Raptordude=PC fanboy

well halo aside, if you never finished HL then you missed out on a lot. Halo was just repetitive. I gave up by that bridge bit..not because i wouldn't be able to do it, i just had no incentive to...i was bored already.

coaster9freak
09-27-2003, 04:32 PM
HL was just no fun for me...it got annoying.

coasetrphil
09-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Same with me.

birdie311
09-27-2003, 06:20 PM
It's rather hard to compare a Top of the line pc game to a top of the line console game. But, with that said and now behind me, Halo 2 will be better. I'm a pc and console gamer alike, so I'm really sittin on the fence on this.

Kyle L
09-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Skye
well halo aside, if you never finished HL then you missed out on a lot. Halo was just repetitive. I gave up by that bridge bit..not because i wouldn't be able to do it, i just had no incentive to...i was bored already.

I agree with you so much, it's not even funny. Halo get's incredibly repetitive. As for the people who say "Half Life got dull". Well, I don't know about you guys, but shooters don't have to envolve killing something every minuete. With that said, Halo just seems to have waves of those alien fools rather then having consistancy. Well, Halo has NO consistancy what-so-ever. It allways get's interesting at points. Like when you cross the bridge. It takes so much work, it get's un-fun eventually. The levels go on and on, and the AI and Frame Base for the map are really repetitive. I swear I saw like, 5 things and that we were going in circles.

Half Life doesn't have that for me. It's allways something different, it isn't really a mission, you just get out of the Black Mesa foundation. While it gets dull at times, no matter what, the AI and Map Frames are very solid and consistant. Thats why I think that Half Life 2 will be better than Halo 2.

coasterguy1
09-27-2003, 08:48 PM
I was a big console gamer and less of a PC person until I bought my new computer. I Still own current games for my consoles, But I am convinced that Half Life 2 will be better than Halo 2. Halo did get repetitive. Go up to Elite, whack him in the head, all hell breaks loose, kill a bunch of things, go to next room, repeat. For flood-keep finger on trigger, move around control stick, throw grenade, go to next area, repeat. I dont know, nor do I care about graphics, but im pretty sure the story for Half Life 2 will be better. And the multiplayer will be so much fun on Half Life 2. Online is always better for PC.

birdie311
09-28-2003, 01:43 AM
Well, for one, Halo was repetitve b/c, as you know, it was originaly for pc. When Microsoft bought out Bungie, they put a deadline on the release. Bungie openly admits they didn't have as much time as they wanted. They say that Halo 2 has had plenty of time to evolve. Which is good. It means less repetitiveness.

Skye
09-28-2003, 06:50 AM
its not just that, i no point did i think in halo "thats cool" or "thats original". Ok one point - the ring planet and the valley textures. But half life had that cliff, the sound monster, the big ugly monster with the flame throwers, good indoor sections with good puzzles (the bit with the laser nlowing up the wall to escape) the sewer begining, the train intro, the main intro bit, the office sections.....the only bad part was the space/alien bit at the end (although you can't blame them for trying to vary it a bit). Oh yeah forgot the gman and probably a whole load of other stuff.........

slipknot8527
09-28-2003, 11:47 AM
I think the reason everyone is saying Half Life 2 is that they are the ones showing screenshots..Halo 2 is keeping their game on tighter wraps then war plans from the Pentagon...my gut instinct says Halo 2 will be better.

coaster9freak
09-28-2003, 12:41 PM
hey slipknot we agree on something...anyhow I still think Halo 2 will be better. The few screenshots I have seen look crazy. Half Life's screens look nice too but thats expected when you can buy a graphics processor for the price of a console. I personally liked Halo's story.

Raptordude is still a frickin PC fanboy...

Skye
09-28-2003, 02:09 PM
i already bought a 3Ghz pc, AND an xbox, so i'm not biased to one or the other. but the PC is far more capable, i hope the graphics will be good. Its hardley struggles with todays games. Halo2 will look good on the xbox, HL2 will be very good.

coaster9freak
09-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Halo 2 will be very good...call me blind but the graphix for both games look similarly good...

DEJA-VU RULES
10-03-2003, 04:01 PM
I vote for Halo 2 because it will take over the world when it comes out.:rolleyes:

CoasterJunkie
10-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Half Life 2, no question. It's been in development since 1998 and it has taken all the things that made Half Life THE greatest game of all time (story, AI, graphics, gameplay) and has done so much with them. Don't get me wrong though, Halo 2 will also be great and I can't wait for it, but if I HAVE to choose between the two, Half Life 2 wins anyday.

coasetrphil
10-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Just because a game has been in development for a long time doesn't make it good.

Skye
10-04-2003, 10:00 AM
thats very true, look at Republic. But Valve have no doubt had the money to MAKE it good. They woudln't have cut corners, and will be working very hard to make it better than the first.

Only thing is they should have used doom3/Q4 as a base. Making their own software is a big mistake i think, its so much work, and for what?

its hard to believe HL was made from q2, it looks so different. They should stick to making it a good expierence, not a technology show (although who would say doom3 is more "low-tech" anyway? Not many. Its probably going to be much better).

Kyle L
10-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by coasterphil
Just because a game has been in development for a long time doesn't make it good.

It really depends on the game and the game developer. In this case, Halo 2 will proabobly get some more refeinments and proabobly get a lot more stuff that is better then if they were given a shorter time period. Someone has allready mentioned that before. An instance where this is completley false is that new Tomb Raider game. It was really hyped, in development for a really long time, then it really flopped when it came out.

But with developers like Bungie, and Valve, we know that the time they use will proabobly be for the better.

coasetrphil
10-04-2003, 05:23 PM
I'd actually liek to change my vote to Half Life 2, because I had forgotten it was coming out for Xbox as well. That will give it quite a few sales.

BimmerZ3
10-04-2003, 11:04 PM
Half Life 2.

coaster9freak
10-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Bimmer I just noticed the amazing amount of posts you had in all these threads...FREAK!

Why will Half Life 2 be better anyway? Justify...

Coastr Crazy 72
12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Half-Life 2 will not be better. Halo2 will completely obliterate Half-Life2. Reasons-

We have all waited a long time for Halo to be available for Xbox live. We have tried a number of ways to do it unofficially (at least I have). Maybe some of you are familar with XB Connect? Maybe not, whatever. Anyway- Halo 2 will only add on to its amazing FPS and create an amazing sequel. We will have many new guns, new vehicles, new enemies and probably some new moves which will most definitly be available online with voice communication via Xbox Live. Bungie will not let us down!

Half-Life 2 will be good but We have waited way too long for this. This will be a great game but will not have the impact on us that Halo did or Halo 2 will. Half-Life 2 will be completely dominated.

If you had 50 bucks in your hand right now and you had a chance to buy either Half-Life2 or Halo2 before it comes out. Which will you choose?

Kyle L
12-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Half-Life 2 will not be better. Halo2 will completely obliterate Half-Life2. Reasons-

We have all waited a long time for Halo to be available for Xbox live. We have tried a number of ways to do it unofficially (at least I have). Maybe some of you are familar with XB Connect? Maybe not, whatever. Anyway- Halo 2 will only add on to its amazing FPS and create an amazing sequel. We will have many new guns, new vehicles, new enemies and probably some new moves which will most definitly be available online with voice communication via Xbox Live. Bungie will not let us down!

Half-Life 2 will be good but We have waited way too long for this. This will be a great game but will not have the impact on us that Halo did or Halo 2 will. Half-Life 2 will be completely dominated.

If you had 50 bucks in your hand right now and you had a chance to buy either Half-Life2 or Halo2 before it comes out. Which will you choose?

Psht, Halo2 will get owned. Here are some more logical reasons:

1. It's been time: The original Half Life was a legend, WAY more so the Halo ever was. A lot of you just don't realize it. The game came out in 1998, That's the N64 Era. Why has it been time and why will it be good? The game is such an achievment, that working off of it since 1998, there will be SO many improvements due to new technology. Anyone saying Half Life 2 screenshots look bad, is completley lying. They are absolutley amazing, and will (sigh) make optimum use of ATI cards, but this is I think, a buisness deal.

Halo on the other hand, came out two years ago. While a lot of you thought it was great, in my standards, it really didn't do anything in terms of a First Person Shooter. Halo IS a good game no doubt, it's just not revolutionary. Halo happened to come out at a time where optimising technology was achieved by bungie. They made Halo look pretty good. Other shooters in 2001? Eh, I can't think of any. And since it was the launch of Xbox, it made it look even better. Like I have said before, Halo IS a good game, yet nothing revolutionary, okay maybe Co-Op.

2. It will come down the Gameplay: Halo2's and Half Life 2's graphics if I am correct are very similar. Half Life 2's will greatly depend on your PC's hardware. If you decide to upgrade, it will most likley look better than Halo 2.

Back to Gameplay: If you ask me, Halo had the MOST boringest Single Player ever. Seriously. You say I'm full of it, but come on. Halo is in sectors, basically you walk to a area and there are a bunch of people. Kill em, and continue. Repeat many, MANY times again. This is why I hate Halo. It's tideous to play, I mean, seriously. Doesn't sectors get boring? To me it does. Okay, maybe a Warthog or Scorpion tossed in there, but it really is in sectors, primarily at the more obvious places, like bridges and fields.

Half Life 2: What makes Half Life (Hopefully 2) is that it is NOT milltary based. Which means, you have little or no ammo, and you gotta make with what you have. I find this a lot more challenging, and once you die, you gotta start at the checkpoint. You don't just have your friend get out of combat. And you don't start out with like 400 plus rounds with the Assualt Rifle, as opposed to making due with the Crow Bar? Even on legendary, making due with the crowbar, maybe a pistol is a lot harder than Halo ever is. You gotta use what you got in Half Life 2. And it's not sectors, it's all balanced out so everything works together.

3. Story/Plot: If you ask me, Halo has a weak plot. It's kinda random, and isn't really surprising or anything. It's hard to get too, it's not too hard to realize you are stuck in a chemical reactions plant in Half Life. Each theme in each game hopefully continues. I find Halo's totally random. I've read the manual, watched the intro video, it's utterly strange. The missions if you ask me have like no relation to the halo theme, you just overtake things. It's not constant and it's not too relative.

This doesn't mean that it can't improve (In gameplay and story) but I don't find it promising, because if it takes too big of a leap, all you Halo fans will be upset. But the direction I think it's taking just keeps making more Halo's. If you ask me, thats really, boring. In Half Life, the theme continues, and the Theme is kick ass. Don't even talk if you haven't played it that much. (Dont get started on me with Halo, I have played Halo, A LOT.) The theme in Half Life 2 is renound in the entire gaming world. Halo's however, is iffy.

4. Just beacuse it's live doesn't make it awesome: I don't know WHAT it takes. My friends all think Halo 2 will be awesome due to Live support. Well, I thats what I thought about Halo for PC, and look how THAT turned out. Seriously, wait till you actually play the game then determine if it's awesome on live.

Same goes for Half Life 2, however, the mods (Especially Counterstrike) will proabobly be pretty awesome.

5. The Sum Up: Basically, I think Half Life 2 will be better. Not saying Halo 2 will suck, it's just Half Life is a revolutionary game. (look at Counter-Strike) and creating a hopefully awesome sequel to a revolutionary game, will be even better. I just didn't find Halo at all revolutionary, it is a very good game, just not setting any revolutions in the gaming land.

oh, If I had 50 bucks. Easily Half Life 2. We waited for a good game, right?! ;)

BimmerZ3
12-09-2003, 12:17 AM
I choose Half Life 2. Why? While the games themselves might be equal, I think that Half Life two allready has the fan base set up for multiplayer internet. Halo doesn't have that... the closest they have is the Xbox Link Cable (which is a hell of a lot of fun at parties, by the way). There will be all the Counterstrike fans that are playing that now that will choose Half Life first. This will create a better network with more people, and more people means more options equal more fun, which is what it really all comes down to.

Plus, the guns in Counterstrike are a HELLUVA lot better than Halo's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

Coastr Crazy 72
12-09-2003, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry, RAPTORDUDE, but I stopped reading after you said Halo's single-player mission was boring. I don't understand you and also, like I said, it if it was for PS2 then you would be in love with this game. But because it is for Xbox it means you hate it. It is as simple as that. You have no real reason to back up your argument that Halo is bad. You think it is bad because 1. you didn't give it a chance and 2. you hate xbox and all xbox exclusive games. You have made that very obvious to everyone on every thread you post on about video games.

We need Mr. Mister in here to give us all the info on Halo because a lot of us have our facts mixed up. He is the halo genius and knows all there is to know about it.

Also: I just read somethign else and don't feel like adding it in up top.
You said the plot for Halo is very weak. Well I don't think that you noticed this but that game was made so there would be a sequel. Did you happen to see the ending movie or did you turn it off when you realized you were playing xbox? In the ending movie Master Chief says "This was only the beginning." IMO this story was amazing and if Halo2 is amazing, which it will be, then the 1st game will get even more recognition for setting up such a great storyline.

Coastr Crazy 72
12-09-2003, 02:50 PM
I choose Half Life 2. Why? While the games themselves might be equal, I think that Half Life two allready has the fan base set up for multiplayer internet. Halo doesn't have that... the closest they have is the Xbox Link Cable (which is a hell of a lot of fun at parties, by the way). There will be all the Counterstrike fans that are playing that now that will choose Half Life first. This will create a better network with more people, and more people means more options equal more fun, which is what it really all comes down to.

Plus, the guns in Counterstrike are a HELLUVA lot better than Halo's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

Well Counterstrike's guns are meant to be more realistic while Halo's guns are meant to be for the future.

You don't think people who play counterstrike are going to buy Halo2? I don't think they are going to be as close minded as maybe me or Raptordude. HL2 will not have more people then Halo2. Everyone wanted Halo to become an Xbox live game when they heard about the newmultiplayer-internet service for Xbox. Like I said, We (or maybe just me and about 1000 other desperate players) even tried XB connect and bought HaloPC just for the multiplayer. IMO Halo2 will have more players because all Halo fans (which is growing by the day) have been waiting for it to be available online for Xbox OFFICIALLY.

Chris Adams
12-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Halflife 2 easily. Half-Life and its collective MODs (CS, DOD, TFC, DMC, etc) are most likely played more online than all over FPSs put together. Almost certainly played more online than all other games if you take BF1942 out of the equation.

Then there's after-game support. Half-Life 2 = Valve whereas Halo 2 = MS i assume? As the owner of a gaming service provider, which involves the server rental subsidary, I can say now that we won't be supporting Halo 2. Patches will be delayed, no Linux server will come out (making it impossible for us to host anyway), and a GDK, if one is ever released, will most likely be restricting. The guys at Valve can take a while to react to issues, but they get the job done, and they dont have a rival operating system to crush.

I'd guess that Halo 2 will have the modding capability of a big lump of titanium, whereas one of Valve's main priorities for HL2 will be MODs and after-game support. They are most likely going to turn Steam-released games into pay-per-play, so they are desperate for the community to take off, which it no doubt will.

Halo 2 might dominate the sales charts initially, but I doubt very much that it will be the most popular multiplay game in the world five years later.

PKI-King
12-09-2003, 03:33 PM
I would have to say Halo 2. Whenever i went to my friend's house, that was all i wanted to do. I always wanted to play co-op, and Halo just had that special "something"! You had vehicles, bad ass weapons, and even badder enemies! I thought the story line fit and so did the ending. At the end, it shows Master Chief is a space ship just kinda floating around. It leaves you wanting MORE!!!!!

Chris Adams
12-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Hang on are we about PC or XBox here? Or both?

PC: Halflife 2 by a mile
XBox: Halo 2 by a mile

Coastr Crazy 72
12-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Halo 2 might dominate the sales charts initially, but I doubt very much that it will be the most popular multiplay game in the world five years later.

Now that I can agree with, although 5 years is a little long. I say maybe 3. If the game is good enough they could easily coem out with Half-Life 3 or something on the XBOX:NEXT system and same with Halo3. So then everything would start over.

Chris Adams
12-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Yeh that could happen. I think that in the long run, on the PC, Valve will always win. BTW The five years bit was referring to Half-Life :-)

Chris Adams
12-09-2003, 03:58 PM

Half-Life 2. I preordered it in March. :D

Kyle L
12-09-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry, RAPTORDUDE, but I stopped reading after you said Halo's single-player mission was boring. I don't understand you and also, like I said, it if it was for PS2 then you would be in love with this game. But because it is for Xbox it means you hate it. It is as simple as that. You have no real reason to back up your argument that Halo is bad. You think it is bad because 1. you didn't give it a chance and 2. you hate xbox and all xbox exclusive games. You have made that very obvious to everyone on every thread you post on about video games.

We need Mr. Mister in here to give us all the info on Halo because a lot of us have our facts mixed up. He is the halo genius and knows all there is to know about it.

Also: I just read somethign else and don't feel like adding it in up top.
You said the plot for Halo is very weak. Well I don't think that you noticed this but that game was made so there would be a sequel. Did you happen to see the ending movie or did you turn it off when you realized you were playing xbox? In the ending movie Master Chief says "This was only the beginning." IMO this story was amazing and if Halo2 is amazing, which it will be, then the 1st game will get even more recognition for setting up such a great storyline.

Okay, wow, error 1: I'm Kyle L. Not Raptordude anymore.

2. Lets get back to Halo. Stopped reading my post huh, oh I'm sorry you didn't take the time to have a open mind, well, Halo's single player is the most boringest thing ever. Like I said before, it's in sectors. You go in a room, kill people, keep moving on. Go in a room, kill people, keep moving on. It's like that in every mission, and for me being a "PS2 Lover" Wow, okay, Me=PC Fanboy. I never play my PS2, and I really don't think any console is that great. I just think everyone overrates Xbox to something it isn't. I've played Halo, a lot. I've done every mission, and borrowed it for my PC. So don't give me this "You haven't seen the real halo" stuff, I've seen it all. And I've played it all, and it's still, the same old junk.

3. You can't just base my hate on Xbox to be justafied in everything. You bring it up more than anyone, so don't touch it. I've played it for the PC, and I actually liked the Xbox version of Halo better than the PC version, so leave it alone.

4. The Plot IS weak. I am huge on game themes, and Halo's never at all really got to me. Nothing ties in. Every mission is overtaking something, and typically has nothing to do with the story itself. My friend told me about the ending, while yeah it leads to a sequel, that doesn't automatically mean it's good. Half Life's theme is much more scary and secluded than Halo's ever will, THATS what makes Half Life's story so great. Having only a crowbar and maybe a pistol to defend yourself from all the mutants, is hard. As well as using your creativity side to find anything to get you over bridges that collapsed, or creeks to cross, etc. Halo, you don't need any "Smarts" so to speak. You just need ammo, and guns. That's in most FPS to date. Half Life MAKES you use your smarts and creativity to think of ways of how to get through. While it may be frusterating, at least you don't just hunt down ammo for the next "Sector".

And Chris is so right with all the mods that will be available for Half Life 2. Halo 2 in un-moddable, so it's lifespan will be limited. So many people are playing Counter-Strike right now, and I bet Halo's active players are very minimal, not even half of Counter Strike. Just goes to show you.

Sum Up: I think Halo is overrated. I still enjoyed playing it somewhat, but comparing it to Half Life rediculous.

Coastr Crazy 72
12-09-2003, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry I can't get used to the name Kyle L for you. You're still Raptordude in my book but I'll call you Kyle L if it upsets you.

Ok back on subject. Maybe you aren't a "PS2 lover" and you are a PC fanboy. My mistake and I'll admit that. I'm so used to it being PS2 vs. Xbox that I assumed since you hated xbox that you loved PS2.

Anyway for a FPS I think Halo does a great job of keeping its story alive. Like I said, when Halo2 comes out and possibly 3, you will see the first halo as a great game and great set up for a whole amazing story. The story isn't over yet and in fact the MasterChief even says "It's only just begun." So don't base the story on the first game. As for the time being, yes, HL2 does have the better story.

I agree that the Xbox version is much better but the PC version offers online play which I think is amazing and the maps and different game types are so much fun. I have an adapter to hook in my xbox controller to my computer so it makes the gameplay much better (at least for me)

Yes, Chris is right. Half-Life 2 will probably last longer and I even agreed with him on that before you posted your post (#44). I don't think halo should be modded though. If anything they will allow you to download new maps, maybe some new guns exclusively for the new maps and some new vehicles as well. Remember that Xbox live does offer downloadable content, although it is hardly used for any game besides Mechassault, which is dissapointing. I don't even know if it is coming out for PC (halo2) so if someone could clarify that for me, thanks.

Sum up: Halo is not overrated and if you think you can base everything about it on the first game then I can't wait to see the look on your face when you play and finish the 2nd and possibly the 3rd one if this is what I think it is. Half-Life 2 will be a great game and will outlive Halo2.

coaster9freak
12-10-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm saying Halo 2 but not by much. All I have to say is duh HL2 will look better. You can buy a grafix card for more money than you can buy any console, so why shouldn't it be better looking. Xbox Live owns and linked is frickin awesome as well.

Mr. Mister
12-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Halo 2 will be better. Initially Half-Life 2 will outsell Halo 2 for the extremely simple fact that it is for both the PC and xbox. On it's release, Halo 2 will be xbox exclusive. Why is this? Because Halo 2 will make xboxless people become xboxfull people and create more total sales.::sigh:::) Capitalism at it's finest.

Any old who, back to Halo 2 beating Half-Life 2. The best analogy I can think of is cars...yes cars. Half-Life was the Model T, it completly revolutionized our whole society and was a great great thing. Halo is, let's see...hmm...well any SUV because everybody has them, everybody likes them, and they're almost, if not already are, the new soccer mom mobile. The SUV would not exist if not for the Model T showing that there was something good about FPS's, this is both known and accepted by owners of SUV's. Ford (For those of you who don't know they or he, I guess it would be, built the Model T) then came out with the Explorer or Expedition(Pick one) which built off of the popularity of SUV's but then Escalade(Halo 2) was released which just was genuinely better.

If there is anybody's opinion to take into consideration it should probably be mine because I am both a die hard Halo and Half-Life fan. I have played both games to their death and when I found out about HL2 I got all giddy like, but... from all of the screenshots and parts of the E3 vid that I've seen, it sadly doesn't look that promising.

I don't understand why people are talking about graphics, you obviously haven't seen anything from Halo 2 yet if you think that there's a competition there.

Gameplay, heh, from what I'm hearing about Halo 2, HL2 will have to step it up if they even want any kind of competition there. From the looks of it though it looks like they're sticking to the basics which is good to see.

The main, well only reason that the plot of Halo seems confusing is because it was meant for the PC and Mac but when they were going to bring it to the xbox they had to shorten it from 20 to 10 levels while avoiding long drawn out in-game vids.

And no, Halo's plot is so much better than Half-Life's. The prequel to Halo is a book. A book that is probably one of the best books I have ever read. What's HL's plot? Some top-secret research facility finds out how to travel across the galaxy and in the process leads hostile aliens back to the top-secret research facility and you must fight your way out. As Gordon Freeman you're so good you become recruited by the infamous G-man. We find out that these aliens have started to invade Earth and it is your job to stop them. Funny how one fits into 3 novels and more to come when the other fits into a paragraph.

Even though I would have wanted Half-Life to be better, it doesn't look like it's going to. Halo 2 looks utterly amazing.

All this yelling over which is better is starting to really annoy me because THEY'RE NOT EVEN OUT YET! Everyone's acting like they've played them or that H2 and HL2 aren't sequels but expanions. Nobody really has a good idea what these games are going to be like.

All we can do is wait and see...just wait...and see.

Coastr Crazy 72
12-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Its called speculating but I guess we all did take it to another level that isn't too good.

The car analogy took me a while to figure out but I understand it and it makes somewhat sense. I can't really think of any others so I guess it is good.

I think Half-Life 2 will be fulfilling for the die hard Half-Life fans but for the newcomers to Half-Life, maybe not.

Halo2 will be amazing for both newcomers and all levels of Halo fans. What Mr.Mister said about it being exclusive for Xbox basically to boost up the sales for their console makes good sense and is completely true.

BimmerZ3
12-10-2003, 11:25 PM
First of all, when something is made or written, it's good plot shouldn't depend on something else. Maybe a sequel's plot, but Halo is the original. No one saw the Matrix and said, "Damn, that sucked but the sequel is going to make it all better." So blaming the plot on the fact it was made for a sequal... complete crap.

Also, putting the blame on the fact that it was based on books has nothing to do with it. I play video games instead of reading, not in addition to reading. It's completely rediculous that you would have to read a book, much less three, to understand a video game.

If the plot depended on 10 more levels and a few more cinematics, then those should have been in the video game. It's stuck on a DVD, so I'm sure they had some extra room on the disk. Plus, even if there was no room left, then they could have just stuck it on another disk. I don't see why they would just edit out half of the game.

Tim
12-10-2003, 11:31 PM
I've got to say Half-Life 2, if for no other reason than they are WAY more PC users than there are Xbox owners. Combine that with the fact that PC games can live indefinitely, and you've got yourself a winner. You can create mods for a PC game to extend the life... or you can dust off your copy of a console game in order to extend it's life...

Coastr Crazy 72
12-11-2003, 04:02 PM
if for no other reason than they are WAY more PC users than there are Xbox owners.

Completely agreed. Halo 2 will eventually come out for PC, though, just like halo did.

coasetrphil
12-11-2003, 05:06 PM
I've got to say Half-Life 2, if for no other reason than they are WAY more PC users than there are Xbox owners. Combine that with the fact that PC games can live indefinitely, and you've got yourself a winner. You can create mods for a PC game to extend the life... or you can dust off your copy of a console game in order to extend it's life...
You can also release new content on Xbox Live.

Kyle L
12-11-2003, 07:05 PM

Get Real Dude. Lets see, First Party vs. Third Party.

I have over 300 maps for Unreal Tournament 2003. You can't get even near 1/3 of that for Unreal Championship (Xbox Port.) There is just somethings you can't get with consoles. Kick ass downloads is one of them.

coasetrphil
12-11-2003, 08:50 PM
What, you can't release content on Xbox Live? Oh wait, I never said you would get as much, just that you would get some.

Tim
12-11-2003, 10:39 PM

That's a good point that didn't even dawn on me for some reason. For now though, I think the real online gaming market still is dominated by the PC. As taking a console online becomes easier and easier, and broadband becomes more prevelant, it's possible that this advantage will swing the other way.

What I think will never leave the PC side of things though, are the mods that are created by fans of a game. Half-Life and Quake III alone have had a ton of unofficial mods that would never get released by an official OEM, so in that regard the Xbox live argument falls short of the PC experience.

Kyle L
12-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Okay, I just got done watching a preview for the game that I downloaded today. All I can say is:
My God.

I don't mean to be blunt, but there is no way Halo2 will even be able to match Half Life 2. You may look at me crazy, but if you download the game preview, everything about the game looks crazy. I'll list some amazing things I found in here.

The first thing I noticed is the insanley good graphics. Half Life 2 uses a fantastic engine that not only nails physics dead on, it makes the textures and details look outstanding. Half Life 2's graphics makes Unreal Tournament 2003's look like a joke, same with Halo's. I am not even kidding. The realism is out of this world, the details are insane, and the physics are the best I've seen yet, in a video game. In fact, if Half Life 2 fills up to its promise with what I just saw, It WILL be the best graphical game to date.

Another thing that was overly clever was the gigantic range of enviromnetal interaction. You can interact with anything, barrels, cars, buldings. So now if you toss a grenade close to a building, the side of the building will collapse and crush whoever is below. This adds to the great gameplay I saw listed below. It's so interactive, you possibly can't play the same game twice. EVERYTHING is interactive. And you have a gun that allows you to pick up heavy items. I mean, you can run up to a side of a building, take off a "F" of the letter spell out on the top, and throw it at beasts. And you can use this weapon for almost anything. I was overly impressed.

The gameplay in Half Life 2 is what will kill Halo 2. (If what I see comes out as is.) The theme is continued so well, and looks so great too. You exit the Black Mesa foundation, to know your world is infested with mutants and creatures. You have a few allies, but knowing that the WHOLE world is infested with mutants, is insane. The mutants also set up a huge sky scraper as home base. Everything looks so well in terms of tying in. Even some of the same mutants are back, in better detail of course. There's almost no way to explain it, it looks so freakin good. It's one of those epic games. It even almost feels like you are playing a movie. It's so good, I just can't wait anymore.

So far, thats the major points I noticed in the movie. And this is only 20 minutes of the game too. I was so impressed, I just can't wait now!

As for Halo2. You bet I will download the trailer/preview and give it a shot. I really don't intend to seem biased here, it's just seriously, Half Life 2 looks like it will be INCREDIBLE. I just still think Half Life 2 will outpull Halo2.

birdie311
12-11-2003, 11:26 PM
hey Kyle, where is this video? I'm really want to see it after what you said.

Kyle L
12-11-2003, 11:42 PM
http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=123983

There it is at fileplanet.

Notice: Fileplanet has lines where you wait for your download. All I can say is, be patient, and hope it downloads.

You will need the latest Quicktime, and it's hefty. (600MB, 25 Minutes) But very high quality.

You will be amazed, no doubt. Also, I am downloading a Halo2 video to take a peek.

Coastr Crazy 72
12-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Kyle L you do realize that vdeo game previews never make out the game as to what is going to really be. I mean of course a game preview will be amazing. They are not going to make it crappy because that would just be completely stupid. It does look promising though but because I like Halo more I think that Halo will be better. I guess it is the same with you.

coasetrphil
12-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Does anyone else realize that this arguement will never stop?

Coastr Crazy 72
12-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Yea I sorta figured that but it is fun.

It is like AMD vs Intel (if you know computers).

coasetrphil
12-13-2003, 09:43 AM
How about we just decide which would sell more if Half Life 2 was Xbox only, instead of PC and Xbox.

Skye
12-13-2003, 05:24 PM
sales.::sigh:::) Capitalism at it's finest.

Any old who, back to Halo 2 beating Half-Life 2. The best analogy I can think of is cars...yes cars. Half-Life was the Model T, it completly revolutionized our whole society and was a great great thing. Halo is, let's see...hmm...well any SUV because everybody has them, everybody likes them, and they're almost, if not already are, the new soccer mom mobile. The SUV would not exist if not for the Model T showing that there was something good about FPS's, this is both known and accepted by owners of SUV's. Ford (For those of you who don't know they or he, I guess it would be, built the Model T) then came out with the Explorer or Expedition(Pick one) which built off of the popularity of SUV's but then Escalade(Halo 2) was released which just was genuinely better.

So you should decide which to buy based on which corporate company is less evil. Now you bring Suvs up.......

joke,joke,joke,joke,joke,joke,joke,joke,joke,joke

Coastr Crazy 72
12-13-2003, 05:38 PM
If that is how you would decide on which game to buy then no one would buy Halo.

Kyle L
12-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Skye, you're even leaving me wondering.....

Um? You don't buy from big corporations? Any of these video game manufactureres is very large, unless you built your own PC. Even then, you STILL use a "big coporation" (Windows XP)

That really has nothing to do with the argument.

Skye
12-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Skye, you're even leaving me wondering.....

Um? You don't buy from big corporations? Any of these video game manufactureres is very large, unless you built your own PC. Even then, you STILL use a "big coporation" (Windows XP)

That really has nothing to do with the argument.

No, you probably didn't read my thread about pollution, everyone started talking about SUV's.

They make too much money though. But ill probably buy HL2 - if its good, its worth 35.

Kyle L
12-15-2003, 01:10 AM
No, you probably didn't read my thread about pollution, everyone started talking about SUV's.

They make too much money though. But ill probably buy HL2 - if its good, its worth 35.

How does SUV's, Air Pollution, and Older Threads have to do with Halo2 or Half Life 2?

Wait, how much is it over in England? Its 50 here, of course. But you get it for free if you buy a ATI card. But uh, blow 200 bucks for a free game? Kinda crazy.

Coastr Crazy 72
12-15-2003, 07:19 AM
How does SUV's, Air Pollution, and Older Threads have to do with Halo2 or Half Life 2?

Mr. Mister made some sort of analogy with SUV's. It sort of makes sense if you read it and try to understand it. Where air pollution and older threads come into it? I have no idea

Skye
12-18-2003, 09:26 AM
go to general talk and see me being flamed for not agreeing with what everyone else thinks (are told to think?)

Montu Man
02-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Half-Life 2 craps all over Halo 2. In fact, Half-life 2 owns all other FPS's in existence, including the original Half-Life.

The end.

Kyle L
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Half-Life 2 craps all over Halo 2. In fact, Half-life 2 owns all other FPS's in existence, including the original Half-Life.

The end.

WHY? What was the point of bringing back a thread that isn't even valid anymore.

Its over.

Cuddy
02-03-2006, 08:40 PM
I agree...How to spam a thread closed. Good call Kyle.