PDA

View Full Version : SF Elitch Gardens, 6-15-01

dshimel
06-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Departed Colorado Springs at 8:15 and arrived at Elitch Gardens about 9:30. Parking was NO problem. Lot A, half a dozen spots out from the last handicapped spot.
<BR>
<BR>We waited at the gate until 9:55, hit the restrooms, then went to the rope which they'd moved from the front of the entrance building to the far end of the promenade. At 10:00, the guard gets everyone's attention. He'll walk us back toward Mind Eraser. Anyone that passes him won't be allowed to board until everyone else that is behind him has loaded. He starts walking, and almost immediately people start passing him. I went from the front of the pack, to mid-pack, because I followed the rules. All of the people that had passed the security guard got on the first train. I got third train of the day. Still not bad, but why lie. All you do is screw over the honest people that follow the rules.
<BR>
<BR>My 17 y/o daughter's boyfriend came with us on this trip. He was too macho to say so, but he'd never been on a coaster before. By the end of Mind Eraser, it was obvious as he spent most of the ride crying for his mommy. The dude is 17, so hearing him screaming for his mommy was very funny.
<BR>
<BR>My 10 y/o daughter and I re-rode Mind Eraser while mommy's boy regained the ability to walk. We then headed to Boomerang, but it was down. Later I learned that it was closed for inspection after the rash of Boomerang problems that have happened lately.
<BR>
<BR>We headed for Twister II. Even with only one train, we only had to wait 10-15 minutes. I rode in the front row with mommy's boy. Again, he screamed for his momma the whole ride. The 10 y/o and I re-rode while the boyfriend regained composure again.
<BR>
<BR>Now it was time to head for Sidewinder. On the way, we decided to hit Disaster Canyon rapids ride while there was still no line. The reason there was no line was that it was still cold, but it was warming up fast so I thought we'd be okay. Nope. It was darn cold….. BTW: What is the freakin' fascination with sticking gum to the boulders beside the line?
<BR>
<BR>We shivered our way up the 4 flights of steps to Sidewinder, boarded, and road. What a sleeper. Airtime on and off the platforms, but that is all. After getting off, momma's boy ran down the tower faster than I thought possible. He REALLY didn't like airtime…..
<BR>
<BR>While on the platform, we could see into the Batman area. They had a bunch of circus act equipment on the stage. One of those big balls that they ride motorcycles around in. One of those circles on the end of an arm that people walk around. A tight rode. Looks like the new "Carnival of Chaos" show is going to be half Batman stunt show and half circus. (This was later confirmed to me by an employee.)
<BR>
<BR>The big rides out of the way, we went and did Chaos, bumper cars and Tower of Doom. Momma's boy didn't do too badly on Tower of Doom. We then went to the car for sandwiches and pop out of the cooler. Far cheaper than paying $10-12 for a burger, fries, and drink.
<BR>
<BR>After lunch we split up. The kids went to the water park while I watched the "Broadway style" music show. Three people that I asked assured me that they sing live, but it sure looked like they were lip-synching. Anyway, the show was worth it for the dancing and Julie's cleavage. I wouldn't mind having her babies. Wait, I'm a dude, married 15 years…..
<BR>
<BR>Anyway, after the show I headed for the 300ft-tall observation tower. I looked around a bit, then went down and road the carousal just because there was no line and it was boarding as I walked by. I found this interesting enough that I decided to ride all those twirl and hurl rides that I'd also never been on.
<BR>
<BR>After the carousal, I rode the Ferris wheel. Another chance to look around……
<BR>
<BR>It wasn't quite time to meet the kids, but the "Broadway" show was starting again. Hmmmm. Lets see those hot babes... I mean… Let's see if I can tell if they are singing or lip-synching.
<BR>
<BR>After the show I met up with the kids. We headed for some twirl and hurls that I hadn't ridden. The Huss Rainbow was a lot of fun. Too bad the top spin was still down. On the way out to dinner (sandwiches and sodas form the cooler again) the kids wanted to go up the tower to look around. I met an employee up there that talked tome for about an hour. She seemed to know a lot about the plans for the park, 1 of 3 possible coasters for next year (fingers crossed).
<BR>
<BR>After dinner we did some more flat rides. I think Hollywood and Vine is the only ride in the park I've still not been on. After flat rides, we did Mind Eraser again. Momma's boy was proud of himself for not screaming this time. We noticed that Boomerang was running, so headed for that. We barely had time to go back up the tower one last time for a look at the park at night, then headed out at closing time
<BR>

Andy Rathe
06-18-2001, 12:52 PM
Nice report! I'm going to Elitchs in September, so it's good to see what it's like!
<BR>
<BR>