PDA

View Full Version : Six Flags Magic Mountain

vidgms2
11-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know what SFMM will be doing for 2004?

Chris L
11-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Let's take a look at the Southern California market for the upcoming season shall we -

Universal Studios Hollywood, The Revenge of the Mummy

Disney's California Adventure, Tower of Terror

SeaWorld Adventure Park, Journey to Atlantis

Knott's Berry Farm, Riptide & Silver Bullet

It would be incredibly dumb for the park to sit the 2004 season out, wouldn't it. Let's just wait and see what they have brewing for us. It'll come soon enough.

vidgms2
11-06-2003, 12:15 AM
I was just seeing if they said anything yet but as you said it will come soon 2004 is just around the corner

Chris L
11-06-2003, 12:28 AM
I personally do not see another coaster coming in. It could happen, but I don't think one will. Perhaps a modern drop ride? Freefall is a bit outdated, and a good drop ride is something Magic Mountain "The Xtreme Park" is lacking. Acrophobia and Superman Tower of Power were hits at their locations, and I think one would do well at Magic Mountain.

Bob
11-06-2003, 01:51 AM
With the competition between CP and SFMM, I can't see them sitting out a year. I just don't know how they could possibly top TTD.

Chris L
11-06-2003, 04:48 PM
There is no direct competition between Six Flags Magic Mountain and Cedar Point. Maybe over some bragging rights, yes, but they don't decide what to build just because of what the other is doing.

cedarpointfreak
11-06-2003, 04:54 PM
each parks biggest goal is to attract the gp in their area. only crazy enthusiasts like us make insanely long road trips to different parks around the country. So i bet there are alot of people in cali who have never heard about CP and alot of people in Ohio thatdon't know anything about MM. All that gp knows and cares about is the parks closest to them and which of those has the best rides

Coaster Freak
11-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Whatever it is that they decide to do they still have tons of space in their parking lot ;)

Coastermoosh
11-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by kraxleRIDAH
Let's take a look at the Southern California market for the upcoming season shall we -

Universal Studios Hollywood, The Revenge of the Mummy
Disney's California Adventure, Tower of Terror
SeaWorld Adventure Park, Journey to Atlantis
Knott's Berry Farm, Riptide & Silver Bullet

It would be incredibly dumb for the park to sit the 2004 season out, wouldn't it.

When all the major themers are adding thrill rides and coasters, what new addition could SFMM market that would stand out in a crowded field of thrill rides? What is one of the most popular parts of the SFMM park complex that is always crowded during the summer and makes the park a lot of monry? And what hasn't received any new attractions in a few years?

The answer: Hurricane Harbor!

With so many other parks focusing on their waterparks I'd be willing to bet SFMM grows that park in 2004.

mOOSH [just guestimating]

Chris L
11-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Coastermoosh
When all the major themers are adding thrill rides and coasters, what new addition could SFMM market that would stand out in a crowded field of thrill rides? What is one of the most popular parts of the SFMM park complex that is always crowded during the summer and makes the park a lot of monry? And what hasn't received any new attractions in a few years?

The answer: Hurricane Harbor!

With so many other parks focusing on their waterparks I'd be willing to bet SFMM grows that park in 2004.

Well, the thing is that existing attractions will have to be rearranged more compactly or removed to fit new slides. I don't know if a few new slides at a "below-average" water park will do much next season. Plus, Hurricane Harbor is on a seasonal operation, from around May to September. They won't get much draw as if they did with a ride that they could market for year-round.

Originally posted by Coaster Freak
Whatever it is that they decide to do they still have tons of space in their parking lot ;)

Smart alec. Don't think you're the first one to make that tired comment. ;)

Bob
11-06-2003, 10:40 PM
There is no direct competition between Six Flags Magic Mountain and Cedar Point. Maybe over some bragging rights, yes, but they don't decide what to build just because of what the other is doing.

Right. That's why CP has spent the money they have over the years. Same with SFMM. If there's no competition, then why build every other year.

Say what you will about the GP, they're smarter than we give them credit for. They know that SFMM and CP compete. They may not have the desire to travel for the coaster like we would, but their definately aware.

Good point about the water park as well. Make perfect sense.

Chip
11-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Say what you will about the GP, they're smarter than we give them credit for. They know that SFMM and CP compete. They may not have the desire to travel for the coaster like we would, but their definately aware.
No they're not. I've met many a guest at Cedar Point who asked me how many coasters the park has. Sometimes I'd answer saying that Cedar Point has 16, more than any other park in the world. Other times I'd say they had 16, a title that was tied with Six Flags Magic Mountain in California. You know what response I'd get? "There's a Six Flags in California?" Sometimes people would ask me to repeat what the park was, where it was, they wouldn't care or they'd be dumbfounded. They seriously don't know about another park on the other side of the country. And truthfully, they shouldn't care. And neither should we.

This is a thread about Six Flags Magic Mountain and whatever the heck they decide to build for the year 2004.

Let's leave Cedar Point out of this. For the last time, the parks do not directly compete. Sure, they're trying to outdo each other with the coaster count, but that doesn't mean they're competing. Six Flags Magic Mountain competes with Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. Cedar Point competes with Six Flags Worlds of Adventure and Paramount's Kings Island. Why would two parks 2,000 miles away from each other be competing? It's not like one or the other is pulling guests from the other park. Simply put, no one in their right mind is going to be a regular visitor to Cedar Point and drop everything to visit a park on the other side of the country simply because it has more coasters. Think about it. Sure, they may visit the park, but one or two visits is not going to hurt the other park's profit.

If anything, Cedar Point's way of competing is with Knott's Berry Farm, which is owned and operated by Cedar Fair. Let's try to put some thought into this tired debate. Now get back on the topic of Magic Mountain for 2004, please.

Coastermoosh
11-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by snafu

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The majority of the GP doesn't know about parks outside their hometown, except for those in destination cities like Orlando and Los Angeles. Heck, I've spoken to GP while in line for a coaster who didn't know about other coasters in THE SAME PARK!

Good point about the water park as well. Make perfect sense.

Thanks!

mOOSH

Chris L
11-07-2003, 12:29 AM
I think he was referring to my post. ;)

Leo C
11-07-2003, 12:40 AM
What is the best inversion on Scream that I could park my POS car under? Hopefully they can get some more flat rides.

Chris L
11-07-2003, 12:42 AM
None, the entire (http://www.cstrbuz.com/rollercoasterphoto.htm?i=1296) ride is completely fenced off. Nice try though. ;)

Leo C
11-07-2003, 12:45 AM
Guvenor ArrrrNauld could take his Hummer and bust into the fenced area. haha enough with my foolishness.

Sir Willow
11-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Actually, one of the strongest rumors I've been hearing about SFMM's big addition next year is: none. Maybe a flat, but even that's iffy. Apparently some of the management have finally realized what horrible condition much of the park is in and are pushing to take the money that would be used for a new attraction and instead use it to fix up much around the park that so badly needs it.

As to how true that is, or whether or not corporate would even go with that, I don't know. But it would sure be nice if the rumors I'm hearing along those lines had some truth to them.

CFRJfan
11-07-2003, 09:22 PM
N:TR-Nothing-The Ride.

Yes it's true even SFMM (AKA SFSR) like most of the other SF parks will be taking 04 off,my advice is to just get used to it because you guys already have 16 coasters to ride which is more than enough.

It's not gonna "kill" SFMM to go one year without a new attraction & it is about time for them to add some family rides as well...they can't keep expectiing to draw a family crowd (which has more cash on hand than the average thrill crazy LA teen ager) by adding extreme rides that not everyone can or wants to ride.

Chris L
11-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by CFRJfan
N:TR-Nothing-The Ride.

Yes it's true even SFMM (AKA SFSR) like most of the other SF parks will be taking 04 off,my advice is to just get used to it because you guys already have 16 coasters to ride which is more than enough.

It's not gonna "kill" SFMM to go one year without a new attraction & it is about time for them to add some family rides as well...they can't keep expectiing to draw a family crowd (which has more cash on hand than the average thrill crazy LA teen ager) by adding extreme rides that not everyone can or wants to ride.

It has nothing to do with "us" getting used to having a year off being that 16 coasters to ride is more than enough." It's about what the park may actually end up doing. Not whether some of us think it is "fair" or "unfair" to other parks, or what we've had too much of. It's not a personal decision/opinion.

The competition for the 2004 season in the SoCal area is going to be fierce and without something new to promote to grab a share of the pie, they will lose out to their other big name competitors. It's that simple. I'm not saying because of this, there will be a new rollercoaster, I'm just saying this is a year Magic Mountain most likely will not throw in the towel and sit out.

And contrary to your statement of "It's not gonna "kill" SFMM to go one year without a new attraction", it will, can, and has happened. This park, along with Great Adventure, Over Texas, and Great America reported attendance figures down from the previous year in 2001, due to the lack of a new major attraction. The competition is what "killing" the park, if not given the chance to agressively compete with other parks - especially when the competition is dishing out new goodies.

They don't expect to "draw a family crowd", that's why they market themselves as 'The Xtreme Park' and just have Bugs Bunny World (which by the way, was remodeled, revamped, and fixed up just 3 seasons ago in '99) as a little area of relief for families that happen to bring along young children with their teenagers (or older kids bringing younger siblings for a day out). What? Is mom and dad going to leave junior at home with granny while they take Jane and Bob to a theme park?

You're right, most Six Flags parks will sit '04 out due to corporate debt. Like I already mentioned before, I don't believe Magic Mountain is apart of that "most." Not for 2004, at least.

CPFan
11-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Not that I think they will do this, but this is something I think they need to do. Here is what I think:

Landscaping!

The inside of the park is beautiful. Flowers are nice, great interaction with the surrounding environment. Heck, it even includes a treck up a mountain. So what am I complaining about? Scream! Ahh! Parking lot coasters irk me. I've seen better transformations of things on Trading Spaces. The fence around the ride is another problem for me. I don't know what, but there is something about it. Maybe it's just the fact that it looks like it is part of the parking lot and not the park. Oh well.

This problem can be resolved, though. Superman at Great America was a parking lot coaster, but it was landscaped. The parking lot itself was torn up, and grass/trees/other decorations were put in its place. You can't really tell that it was a parking lot.

vidgms2
11-10-2003, 11:35 PM
SFMM should get a b&m flyer like at GA. But flat rides would be good also less expensive and you can get more rides in the park that way. Also each year more kids become teenagers and want to ride the roller coasters. if MM did take a year off then they would be able to get a really good coaster the next year and spend money on the ladscaping around the park.

SpiderJeruselam
11-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Let's hope they don't worry about attractions this year but worry about refurbishing the park a bit and look seriously into grabbing some more land.

stevetothekizzo
11-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Excellent point. I agree completely. ^ SFMM has almost too much to do in one day already. They need to work on improving the overall park experience. Right now, it sucks.

youhow2
11-17-2003, 07:07 PM
basicly what we are looking at is another entrance, parking lot extention, trams that will be converted in to a ride like the train at disneyland flat rides being removed new rides being added. alsosfmm anticpated something like ttd and in another year or so __________
will be unleashed. and I can give you a hint new themed area and thats not the big part and they finally decided cyclone will be removed and hurrcaine habour but not immeaditly and it has something to do with a tram bridge and the land by the parking lot .

that ride at the stratosphere may not be the one of the only two......

fanramones
11-18-2003, 12:16 AM
:o I personally think they should concentrate on their old rides rather than new rides....such as the Monorail..with that monorail working moving through the park would be alot easier:*)

youhow2
11-18-2003, 07:56 AM
They are adding a tram that will take you across from the park to a new themed area this will take time and money so we will see a few new plants and park expansion but if you understand me first they have to sell the water park. cyclone will be refirbeshid and sold to somebody they are removin bugs bunny land to add to the new area no news when All this will be done.

That monerail has had so much damage its not funny and they cant remove it

Moderator edit: Don't double post. Use the EDIT button.

REMatrix
11-21-2003, 09:57 PM
you know, even though i LOVE flashback, they should take that ride down and rebuild something there. It's a great ride, but it's never open anymore, so they should just put a new ride there. Athough it's kind of a small space, so it'd have to be real small.

youhow2
11-21-2003, 10:03 PM
flashback is supposed to be rebuilt and turned into some superflashback thing with a future theme although this is a RUMOR

P.S that double post did not show up on my screen

chaoticcrisis
11-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Were the hell do you get you info from because it sounds like a farfetched rumor. That you made up just so you could get the posts or get people to talk about it i mean there are people in other forums talking about your bull. So just stick to what you really think is going to happin.

REMatrix
11-24-2003, 09:08 PM
wat r u talking about. I didn't say they were going to. I said they should.

chaoticcrisis
11-24-2003, 09:29 PM
i was talking to youhow2.

REMatrix
11-24-2003, 10:06 PM
oh sry.

youhow2
11-25-2003, 08:04 AM
I did not make up this rumor.
That rumor is the reason I signed on to thrillnetwork.com

And your talking about my crap look at that hanging neck coaster thing. my rumors I post are really things I think the park should do. I am just carrying on that rumor that I heard. ANd still MY CRAP!! go look at all those other rumor sites X being torn down, a double inverted strata coaster woodie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sigh.... and you think Im nuts!!

Mod edit: Please read the image and don't double post:
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?s=&postid=348510

Chip
11-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Guys, let's cut back on the flaming. We don't want to have to shut this thread down. Youhow2, there's no need to get excited.

stevetothekizzo
11-25-2003, 12:17 PM

Not bragging rights. Marketing rights. You can't say you have the most coasters if you don't. You can't say you have the tallest coaster in the world if you don't. It's all about the marketing.

bk2004
12-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Exactly, CP doesnt give a ******* what MM gets, its just all about the braggin rights, and same with MM, just to say, "Come here, not there because we have a 420ft. coaster, not a 400ft. one!" lol :D

Carowinds 73-03
12-11-2003, 08:30 PM
I thought i heard in a Cedar Point ad that the were still claiming to hold the record for most coasters if they share the record with MM. and please folks lets not starts another Superman is a coaster / is not a coaster war.

BatwingFan SFA
12-12-2003, 11:34 AM
If the whole battle over which park has the most coasters is for marketing purposes then both parks are wasting their time.

Who's gonna see an ad for SFMM in Sandusky Ohio anyhow? the same can be said in LA...who in LA is gonna see a CP commercial? so in that respect it has nothing to do with marketing at all because the individual parks only market themselves within a certain radius of their location.

The only "national" advertising the two parks get is every year on discovery channel...doesn't anyone find it odd that nearly every coaster show on that network is about SFMM or CP?

Bob
12-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Ok...since I'm in the PR/Marketing business myself, consider this.

If CP has 16 coasters, that's the most coasters in one park correct? Nobody has 17 if I'm not mistaken. That would mean that if SFMM has 16, they ALSO have the most coasters in one park. It's all about how you say it. Now, if they were to say "more coasters than any other theme park in the world", you could take exception to that. (This would be where a good 'Superman: The Escape) is not a coaster' argument would take place.)

It's all about how you say it. Those little words here and there that aren't mentioned are the key anymore.

Edit: Clarified the specific Superman ride.

Kristafon4
12-12-2003, 12:47 PM
Would that be Superman the Escape? You should make sure you define which superman ride you are talking about with so many existing.

vidgms2
12-12-2003, 08:44 PM
We are talking about SFMM. There are no Superman rides at CP and besides all the other Superman rides aren't argued over if they are roller coasters or not.

bk2004
12-12-2003, 09:08 PM
SFMM & CP are both awesome, and they always will be, its just competition, and its everywhere, and it will always be here, but its a good thing that there half across the country from one another! :D

Bob
12-12-2003, 11:25 PM
bk2004...You said it! They're both great parks. No arguing that.

General Public
12-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know what SFMM will be doing for 2004?
How did CP vs. SFMM come of this question?

Carowinds 73-03
12-13-2003, 06:35 PM
I thinm we all know for some odd reason we can't talk about one park without the other being brought up. It happens all the time here.

SpeekEZ
12-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Whatever it is that they decide to do they still have tons of space in their parking lot?

I'm not sure why this is such an inside joke? They built Scream over the employee parking lot.

Here are some more pics of Scream:
http://adrenalinrush.homestead.com/Scream.html from my Adrenalin Rush web site

bk2004
12-13-2003, 11:12 PM
I dont see how they can do that because then they will keep loosing more spaces and then they will not have enough of them to hold their attendenc max in the park. And its not like the cars can park under the ride. lol!

Carowinds 73-03
12-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Now that would be cool to park under a coaster.

bk2004
12-14-2003, 09:22 AM
In that link about, the coaster basically is right under above the parking lot. TG: TJC is sort of, its like right on the border of the park and parking lot, but it I didnt really expect to see one thats literally on top of the parking lot!! lol! :)- Anywho, People cant park under there right?- stupid question!

raser
12-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Now that would be cool to park under a coaster.
If you find that cool just go to Indiana Beach, You can park under The Cornball Express for a little more $$$$...

Chris L
12-14-2003, 03:20 PM
In that link about, the coaster basically is right under above the parking lot. TG: TJC is sort of, its like right on the border of the park and parking lot, but it I didnt really expect to see one thats literally on top of the parking lot!! lol! :)- Anywho, People cant park under there right?- stupid question!

What did you think "parking lot coasters" were then?

Medusa, SFMW (http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery617.htm?Picture=9)

bk2004
12-14-2003, 05:28 PM
I know that they can be built in parking lots, but the fact is that they cant park under it was my point, kraxleRIDAH, and by doing this, they loose spaces.

Chris L
12-14-2003, 05:58 PM
My point was being surprised at this comment of yours - "but I didnt expect to see one thats literally on top of the parking lot!! lol!"

Coasterdude8
01-02-2004, 02:32 AM
I am surprised that we havn't heard an official announcement on what Magic Mountain is planning this season, no matter how big or small we usually know by now. Anyone know what is going on?

Cid
01-02-2004, 03:09 AM
i've always been a fan of silver star and steel dragon when it comes to parking lot coasters. off some of the pics on rcdb you can tell that you can pretty much park under either of them.

"honey, will you remember where we parked"
"yeah were right by steel dragon"

anyways, on topic. it seems to me like its getting a little late for an announcement. as someone who has never been to MM. my outsider opinion is that maybe they will just sit the season out. they seem to have a great collection of rides. why not just take a year, do some preventative maintenece on their rides, maybe some paint jobs. little stuff you know.

off topic again. are both sides on S:TE running now?

bk2004
01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
I think the same thing Cid, they will just sit this year out. Regardless. But, hey it doesnt really matter because CP is doing to same (to there park, not Soak City). But its funny to me because all of the sudden, in 2000, they came out with 3 costers in 1 year, which in my opionion was stupid, because they cannot handle it. They are loosing in there own game. CP knows how to handle it, no SFMM. There new at it, but they might learn one day.

In 2000, the only sense that they made was to open Goliath Jr., because thats the only thing that seems to work. (De Ja Vu doenst & X, well you cant depend on it!)

Carowinds 73-03
01-02-2004, 06:42 PM
I agree. I to don't think SFMM will be adding any new attraction this year, Mabye a new show or something but nothing in the way of rides.

bk2004
01-03-2004, 03:41 PM
I doubt even if a show, and if they did, it wouldnt be enough to advertise big like they would a coaster. I just hope that they get all of there rides up and working for next year so you dont have to go and worry about a lot of stuff being closed. Alot of there rides are/were prototypes, and they still arent doing very good. They need to fix them & get on with it. Thats why they got a B&M in 03' so they didnt have to worry about another coaster!!!

Carowinds 73-03
01-04-2004, 03:51 PM
How many coasters are they having problems with? I know of 3
X, Deja Vu, & Flashback.

Chris L
01-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Carowinds 73-03 -

Flashback doesn't have problems. It's closed most of the time because of Hurricane Harbor's operation. Look at this photograph ( http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=4088391&a=30780084&p=64220300&Sequence=0 ). If you can't figure out the need to close Flashback during half the year, then oh well.

It usually opens up right after HH closes for the season then closes again once HH begins to start for a new season.

bk2004
01-04-2004, 07:30 PM
So the only reason why Flashback is never open is because of the Water Park right by it and the lifegueards cannot concentrate whil its running? Why dont they just move it? Also, the above link does not work.

Chris L
01-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Yes that is correct bk2004. Here's why they don't move it. Moving it requires spending more money out of their budget with no profit gain. To move Flashback, the park would need to hire a crew to dismantle the entire ride piece by piece, people to remove the old footers footers, pour NEW footers after clearing a new space for the ride, and to reassemble the ride back together.

And here's the picture - http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4088391&a=30780084&p=64220300&f=0

me
01-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Relating to the past topic, Six Flags Magic Moutian could sit out this year and still be fat and happy. I live all the way down in San Diego and the destination for every teenager looking for fun is Magic Mountian. Or maybe a few go to Disneyland. But they will be fine for the next couple of years. Especially since they have X.

bk2004
01-07-2004, 08:05 PM
That is true. I guess that they could do nothing and still be popular, because there the only park around (for a long ways) that has all of that stuff (and some of it the only place!) And it probably is the best park to go to in Cali if your looking for a Thrill of a time!

Chris L
01-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Relating to the past topic, Six Flags Magic Moutian could sit out this year and still be fat and happy. I live all the way down in San Diego and the destination for every teenager looking for fun is Magic Mountian. Or maybe a few go to Disneyland. But they will be fine for the next couple of years. Especially since they have X.

I agree somewhat. The debut of Scream! in 2003, though not ground-breaking like X, along with other major ride openings over the recent past 3 years (Déjà Vu, Thrill Shot, X), Magic Mountain can sit out 2004 and not see a dramatic decline in attendance. This will be the first time since 1996 that Magic Mountain has not opened up a new rollercoaster, meaning the maintenance and upkeep department will be given a breather and perhaps an opportunity to work on in-park improvements - which I read is the main purpose of the park's 2004 budget.

That would work oh-so-well in terms of keeping attendance figures on a equal level as 2003 if 2004 was not the year every other Californian park had something new that's humongous and headliner material. Now, 2003 was the year to sit out, not 2004. Here's what the competition is opening up this season in the golden state (though Great America is not a competitor of Magic Mountain) -

Legoland: Coastersaurus + 4 other new attractions
Disney's California Adventure: Twighlight Zone Tower of Terror
Knott's Berry Farm: RipTide, Silver Bullet, Lucy's Steamboat
SeaWorld Adventure Park: Journey to Atlantis
Paramount's Great America: Boomerang Bay

Carowinds 73-03
01-08-2004, 05:27 AM
Ok. I understand now why it's closed half the season.

vidgms2
01-12-2004, 01:15 AM
They should just get rid of Flashback and put in a good ride.

Carowinds 73-03
01-12-2004, 07:10 AM
I agree, Do people even ride this anymore?

Jerry S
01-12-2004, 11:28 AM
I've never been to HH @ CALI, but I know that most water parks in SOUTH CALI are better, just by how they look. I know Soak city is awesome in San Diego, and just as good in PS, and all of the Orange county ones look cool as well. Huricane Harbour seems like the least likely water park I would go to in CALI. I think SFMM would get some extreme ride with a high additional fee. Those usually go up quickly.

Chris L
01-12-2004, 03:36 PM
I agree, Do people even ride this anymore?

Yes they do, if they can find it - or know it exists.

That ride was placed in the worst spot - on a small midway/alley by itself behind a arcade and restroom building. It's 86' height doesn't help it out either. Tall trees and hedges block the possibilty of being seen by guests on the main paths.

bk2004
01-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Is it on the map? Well I guess that doesnt matter, because half of the people look at them upside down and dont even know it! lol

Anyways- Isnt that better for you guys, since when it is open, there isnt as big of a line where it would normally be if it was in the middle of somewhere ovious?

vidgms2
01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Well most people don't like it unless they have ridden it. It is the same way with Psyclone you have to ride it to like it or not like it. Even if it was in the middle of the park people would still flock to the better rides in the park.

bk2004
01-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Thats true, vidgms2, I think alot of people come for the rides that they are know for, and they dont run to the rides like these, they go to X & Goliath & Scream and Superaman, and the list gos on. They dont say, hey, lets go hit Minetrain first! lol

Chris L
01-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Well, Magic Mountain does not have Minetrain, but they do have Goldrusher - and these older, less outrageous rides play a vital part in keeping the balance of what can be experienced at the park. My friends and I go to the park for the bigger and newere thrills, but a ride or two on the tamer Goldrusher proves to give us just a good a time as any other ride.

bk2004
01-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Thats true, and its called Goldrusher, wich I had no idea what it was called, Thanks kraxleRIDAH! Anyways, I guess that true. So in 05', what do you guy see @ SFMM?

vidgms2
01-16-2004, 06:37 PM
I don't know why people flock to S:TE. When i went on it it was really boring for the 15 seconds that it lasted, but we didn't have to wait in line because my friend "broke" his leg. It was also on the Christian music night so there weren't as many people at the park.

bk2004
01-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Now they probably flock to X or Goliath since those are some of the best coasters there. I would go to X first since I know that It might not be open later and if so, the line would be really long! Thats nice that you didnt have to wait in line! What was the wait for it anyways?

Chris L
01-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I don't know why people flock to S:TE. When i went on it it was really boring for the 15 seconds that it lasted, but we didn't have to wait in line because my friend "broke" his leg. It was also on the Christian music night so there weren't as many people at the park.

Because to the average park goer, going up so high (and vertical) and accelerating to 100 mph in 7 seconds is still quite terryfiying. I know people that won't ride it just because it goes backwards down the tower.

See, us enthusiasts are experienced riders and newer, badder rides make older coasters seem less thrilling. But they are to the general public.

vidgms2
01-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Still, it is so short that im suprised that people are like a wolf looking for a sheep going to it. My friends didn't want to go on that or the woodies there when we went just the good rides.

Carowinds 73-03
01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't understand. Why don't they just move the thing. They could do alot with it if they wanted to. Move it to another location and put some type of theme to it. Mabye even put it inside of a building.

Richard Wilson
01-23-2004, 08:15 AM
Going back a bit, the park really needs to skip a few years of big rides and get in and fix what they've got. We can conveniently ignore the fact that the park has no flat rides that aren't in pieces all over the ground, or the one-train operation on most of the major rides (Goliath, Batman etc.). The park right now holds nothing close to a record for the most coasters. At my last count, they've got 13 coasters in an operating condition, which might go up to 14 once summer hits.

Flashback doesn't operate in the summer because of the water park, that's okay (well, not really), but what about winter? Has it operated at all in this particular off-season? I don't believe so. Superman hasn't been terribly active either, for seemingly any reason. Then there's Deja Vu, which is lacking not only a train but also a section of track.

Then X needs something done about it. It's in no condition to be ridden. Goliath, designed to run three trains has only one, Batman, which can run two, and needs two is only running one. Meanwhile Viper, Revolution, Ninja and Scream! are running two trains, when none of these have absolutely any queue whatsoever. There's some serious mis-allocation of resources happening, or is it just making use of what they've got available, and when it "runs out", it's back to single-train for these rides?

Sorry, but if they want to make a mark on SoCal with Disney, Universal and Knott's all coming out with big years, they should try a slightly smaller approach. It'd be stupid to try and break in on a saturated year like this anyway. Tell me, would a billboard surrounded by three others advertising bigger and better things be wise, when you could wait a year and be the only billboard to be seen anywhere on that Interstate? Spend this year's (or next year's, as the case might end up being this year) budget on getting what they've got to even just a barely adequate state, and it'll leave a much nicer taste in people's mouths than another soon-to-be "neglecterino". You've got at least a year until Cedar Point make another move on the record, so there shouldn't be any hurry for SFMM to dive head-first into another steel monster.

Coasterdude8
01-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Finally, a great response. Well done Richard! SFMM is literally falling apart! I was there less than a year ago and I was sad to see the shape that the park was in. I have been a hardcore Mountain fan for years and would choose to go to this park anyday over any of the other CA parks, but it was hard to take pride in a park that is starting to look really run down. The coasters are great, but when you walk around and see rides that are in the process of being dismantled or not working it leaves an impression.

I havn't really noticed the one train operation much and it hasn't really effecteed me. I never really have a problem with long lines, I know the park well enough that I can predict when and where the crowds will flock, usually giving me insight on what rides to hit first. Go X, Superman (to avoid long lines late in the day, and for *****s and giggles!), Deja Vu, Riddler, and then make your way back around toward Goliath. I always end with Viper, because I like it better at night (and if I get a headache from arrow design, then it wont ruin my day :) ) !

I agree that recently it seems as if the park is not running at full potential (closed shops, broken rides) is that because of money and understaffing, or just because the rides are out of commission? Maybe a little of both. I plan on going again in the next few weeks. Anyone want to come? :) I am going to support one of my favorite amusement parks, check out what's going on around the park and to have fun. If I still see things that I don't like (one train operation, trash, chipping paint, etc.) I will write a letter to the park, as I suggest you other enthusiast do that are dissatisfied with the parks operation. What good is a voice if you dont' use it?

Hope to see you there! ;)

bk2004
01-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Wow, these last two threads have given me a reality shock about SFMM. I used to think that it was as good as CP, but now I am thinking that it was never that great. It seems to me that all they are doing is adding these huge & awesome coasters and forgetting about everyhthing else thats wrong in there park. They know that the peeps will come if they add the coasters, but after a while, if they dont clean up what they have, then one day its going to cave in. They already have a huge budget increase. I think that they should of saved that year where they added 3 coasters all at once for a couple years later. I dont think that they were ready. I see SFMM as a garbage can. Not that its dirty or anything, but say all of the rides & shops, ect are pieces of trash that are all roten and old. When you throw in a newer piece, it makes the whole place looks good. But when that piece starts to get to looking old or roten, then its looks more like a dump. But then when another piece is thrown in, it looks new again. I think thats what they are doing, and its not going to last. SFMM needs some help. Its a good park and all, but it just needs some help. They build these huge coasters that are made to hold crowds, but then they only have 1 train running on them and that just ruins the whole concept of the idea! I just dont get it why they think they can go on like this. They need new managment like Carowinds got to come and clean up there act.

vidgms2
01-23-2004, 06:39 PM
The park is still great, but what the two people stated before bk2004, is absolutely true except for the queues on Viper is always long but it only has had 1 train going for quite some time now. ALL the rides on the hill in the center of the park suck and should be removed to make way for some great rides not just mediocre rides.

bk2004
01-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Those are all of the older rides. They started building there and now they ran out of room on that hill, so now they build around it and they have totally enircled the whole mountain. But not all of their old rides are on the mtn, rides like Collosus.

vidgms2
01-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Not the good rides just the ones on the mountain. Most of the rides are old and not all that good. Collosus is the best racing woodie out there. Does anyone actually ride Gold Rusher or Ninja anymore?

Carowinds 73-03
01-24-2004, 01:16 AM
I rode both last year when i visited the park.

vidgms2
01-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Ok, actually how long was the queue line when i went there were only a few people in the line and not that many people on the ride.

Carowinds 73-03
01-24-2004, 11:46 AM
There were about 30 people combined. Both were 2min waits or walkon's.

vidgms2
01-24-2004, 11:49 AM
ok they aren't really even painted good to go along with the rest of the rides.

Coasterdude8
01-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Wow, these last two threads have given me a reality shock about SFMM. I used to think that it was as good as CP, but now I am thinking that it was never that great. It seems to me that all they are doing is adding these huge & awesome coasters and forgetting about everything else thats wrong in there park.

While some will argue with me. I do think that Magic Mountain has the potential to be as great as CP if not better:)! By reading my earlier statement, I don't want people to think that SFMM is a dump, because it isn't. It just needs some attention. And back to the topic, I am hoping that SFMM will take some time this season to clean up the park and its blemishes and add some "cost effective" flat rides. The park has one of the best atmospheres that I have ever encountered. There is something about the mountain, it really works(even with "parking lot" coasters which, by the way SFMM isn't the only park that has built coasters in a parking lot...ahem...CP :)!) So lay off the parking lot issue;).

But I digress, main point, whatever happens this season, keep supporting the park by doing what we do best riding coasters, which in turn will keep the industry alive!

bk2004
01-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Yeah, they do have some great coasters and a good atmosphere I have heard! Ive seen it on shows ans it looks good, but in the thread, people talk of all of the bad things in it and not the good. Maybe for the next 2 years they can clean it up a bit and get there coaster problems and flat problems fixed. Maybe even add one next year, but in 04, I think nothin's comin. Its too late anyways.

Chris L
01-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Not the good rides just the ones on the mountain. Most of the rides are old and not all that good. Collosus is the best racing woodie out there. Does anyone actually ride Gold Rusher or Ninja anymore?

For Goldrusher, it is mostly walk-ons and on busy summer days, the wait does not get longer than 10-15 minutes. Ninja, on the other hand is actually very popular with guests and when it is open and not down from weather below 50°, queue waits can go up to an hour with a two-train operation.

As for Magic Mountain being a dump, it isn't. But the park needs a lot of work as it is far from being the best park in the world. From experience, the entire park package is miles behind Cedar Point. The park needs to get everything up and running again (Sky Tower, Monorail, some flat-rides), repaint a few of their rides and buildings, and work on other in-park improvements - which we are beginning to see happen for 2004. Seeing as how other Six Flags parks are working on cleaning up rather than new capital - which is good for corporate debt and all park presentation, things might turn out well for Six Flags in the future, if they keep up with working on what makes for a great park experience other than just rollercoasters.

vidgms2
01-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Wait. What exactly are they doing to make the overall park experience. I would definately go to MM more if the atmosphere got better. What are we seeing for 2004. I would like to know.

Carowinds 73-03
01-27-2004, 07:14 PM
I don't think SFMM is getting anything for 2004. I'am kinda suprised by that but oh well.

Chris L
01-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Wait. What exactly are they doing to make the overall park experience. I would definately go to MM more if the atmosphere got better. What are we seeing for 2004. I would like to know.

Read the post above yours.

Sir Willow
01-27-2004, 11:31 PM
According to Six Flags corporation, they are making large investments in the infrastructure of their parks this year, and that's where most of their money is going. So far SFMM hasn't announced anything new this year- not on their season pass brochures, not in commercials, or anywhere else. And it's looking very much like there won't be anything new. Instead it very much looks like they are going to be putting money into trying to fix up some of the areas in the park that have become rather run down. How much, or what exactly isn't known. But it's optimistically looking like they're going to finally start doing some of the work that they have been overdue to do. Hopefully that'll translate to some need ride rehabs to.

Boromir
01-28-2004, 01:12 AM
There are also some safety issues that need addressing. Especially after the DL accident, SFMM doesn't want to get caught with their pants down.

Also, they've rehabbed the trains on Colossus. It runs 10 times better now. Still not glory days, but it's worth a ride if you're at the park.

Carowinds 73-03
01-28-2004, 02:54 AM
Thats good to hear since i hope to be heading there again this year.

Coastermoosh
02-24-2004, 06:45 PM
A few months ago I said:

"With so many other parks focusing on their waterparks I'd be willing to bet SFMM grows [Hurricane Harbor] in 2004."

Not to brag or anything, but parts for a Proslide Tornado waterslide are now onsite and Hurricane Harbor has been expanded slightly into the parking lot, resulting in a redirected tram pathway.

mOOSH [right, for once!]

Chris L
02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Good job Moosh.

That's two seasons in a row where the tram path had to be rerouted. ;)

And here you go - the new for 2004 Proslide being assembled near Hurricane Harbor premises in the parking lot area.

http://www.surfchaos.com/slide/

MhoramIII
04-05-2004, 11:46 AM
I hope SFMM does take the year off and spend some money refurbishing their infrastructure. It'd also be nice it they added some theming around some of the newer rides.

And hey, they could spend less money building a "Supreme Scream" type launch ride around the Sky Tower than to build a new coaster...

Chris L
04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
SoCal has way too many S&S towers - nearly 5 in total. We don't need another one. An Intamin AG tower would prove a different approach to the lack of a modern drop ride at the park, but that's not happening this season.

Not a lot of photo updates have been circulating with signs of in-park improvements, but there are a lot of examples that show the park is climbing the ladder out of the hole. The Atom Smasher flatride which was down for nearly two years is now back up and running, and the Scrambler ride that was destroyed last season due to a falling tree has been replaced and is now operating. It is said work is being done on Sky Tower, Superman The Escape and the Monorail on a regular basis to get all three back up and operating by summer.

MhoramIII
04-19-2004, 12:49 AM
True, true about the overabundance of tower drop rides in SoCal, but I think that Magic Mountain's lack of a "modern drop ride" is a definite hole in their ride offerings. Not a big deal for locals, since, as you say, we have enough towers to be able to satisfy anyone's drop ride jones. But for the tourist who can only afford to go to one park in a week's vacation, I think it'd behoove the park to add one. They could spend enough to make it "extreme" without having to bust the budget...(it'd be much less expensive than a new coaster and probably more reliable...).

But to hear that they are spending some cash on improving the park's infrastructure is very good news. It'd be really nice to see all the rides working at once (how long has the Sky Tower been closed?!)! I also hope they spend some of it on paint for the coasters... some of 'em have been looking pretty raggedy up close.

Chris L
04-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Nobody said there was an abundance of tower drop rides in the area. S&S towers, yes, but not all tower rides in general.