PDA

View Full Version : My Car

Pages : 1 [2]

Chris L
01-02-2007, 04:54 PM
A. I don't believe you.

A C230 Kompressor Coupe is nothing out of a 16-year old's reach. Especially a used one. So I don't think he's lying to you.

If you think that's highly unlikely, I had a LOT of friends and acquaintances that were bought brand new Audi TT's, Audi A4's, BMW 330i's, and Mercedez Benz SLK's in high school -- just to name a few. But then again, I live in San Marino, which is a city of privelage and wealth and I can understand how most people don't think that's normal for a 16 or 17 year old to be handed the keys to their own brand new Lexus IS 250.

Most ridiculous case in my town? An acquaintance of mine in my graduating class...his dad bought him a brand new fire-engine red Ferrari. A high school graduation gift. To go even further, he was already driving a BMW M3. And no, I'm not lying.

Because it is quite an expensive car for a sixteen year old.

That's true. Most kids in that age bracket would be lucky enough to drive a hand-me-down Saturn or the family minivan (which I did drive for two years in high school). And would do cartwheels off the roof if surprised with a new Honda Civic.

My dad bought me a $30,000 car a month before I graduated high school. Do I feel snobbish? Sometimes. Did I deserve it? Probably not. Am I grateful for the car? Very.

Skyhawk09
01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Well I would feel bad for anybody that would have to drive a mini van or a used saturn. I'm just lucky I have money to afford a beast such as this.

Kyle L
01-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Well I would feel bad for anybody that would have to drive a mini van or a used saturn. I'm just lucky I have money to afford a beast such as this.

Thats money dude...that Honda will run forever...and I'm not joking, it will run for a really long time..granted you take care of it.

slipknot8527
01-03-2007, 03:13 AM
It is. I bought a supercharged T-Bird, and it died on me in a year. My sister has had her old civic in prime condition for 4 years.

TDMAMBA
01-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Thats money dude...that Honda will run forever...and I'm not joking, it will run for a really long time..granted you take care of it.

Any car will run for a long time if you take care of it.Honestly, this FORD sucks crap is overated. There are plenty of Fords on the road with over 300,000 miles and still going strong. Granted, it's mostly SUV's and Trucks. But Any Chevy, Dodge, and Ford will last a long time if given it's dedication.

Kyle L
01-03-2007, 04:03 AM
Any car will run for a long time if you take care of it.Honestly, this FORD sucks crap is overated. There are plenty of Fords on the road with over 300,000 miles and still going strong. Granted, it's mostly SUV's and Trucks. But Any Chevy, Dodge, and Ford will last a long time if given it's dedication.

Wish I could say the same for our Ford Minivan...the transmission on it completley blew out, and yes, we took care of it.

And my Dads Ford T-Bird had a insane amount of problems. The rear axle eventually became misaligned, and the Supercharger broke. Thats just the beggining too.

In the past we owned 2 Fords, now my entire family drives Japanese vehicles. And speaking for my 4Runner, I haven't had a single problem with it, ever.

All cars are NOT created equally.

slipknot8527
01-03-2007, 04:56 AM
I agree. Fords are notorious for transmission problems...which is what happened with my T-Bird.

Hondas will run over 250,000.

My first car was a 91 Integra, with 273,000.

Marc
01-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Toyota and Honda are typically over rated when it comes to reliability. They do have some problems. Of course they don't have nearly as many as money scrounging american car makers have had. When you make a million car, cutting costs by every $1 per car means a bigger bonus for those in the executive level. Of course this eventually has come and bit them in the ass.

meames
01-03-2007, 08:33 AM
See how many of you know these cars then:

First car was my Dads Vauxhall (GM) Cavalier
Then a Ford Fiesta
Then a Vauxhall Corsa
Finally, I am now on (don't laugh!) a Skoda Fabia vRS - don't know if you have Skoda in the US or not, I guess not though, anyway, it looks a bit like:

http://www.tpark.co.uk/image_large.php?Photo=276

Martin
01-03-2007, 11:32 AM
My dad's VW Passat had been at the dealership for about two weeks with an engine problem. With nothing being done to the car, they granted us with the latest Passat model with a 3.6 Liter V6 engine at the same monthly payment.

Skyhawk09
01-03-2007, 11:45 AM

I do actually like the car, it's really retro and sporty. It has almost 200,000 miles on it, and it is pretty beat up, but it is my first car. $1000 was the total investment. We got the car for free, but they had to fix the engine, something about the valve timing, I believe. A few of the valves needed to be replaced, and the head needed to be taken off to do that. I'm just lucky my dad builds engines, and can get people to do that with almost no cost. :D

It is the 4-wheel steering model, so that's pretty cool. The turning radius is insane. 140 horsepower is all that I need. The interior is actually in good condition, no rips or areas that are worn, except the floor. It doesn't have a stereo, though. I will probably put one in next year, when I get my liscense.

Kyle L
01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Toyota and Honda are typically over rated when it comes to reliability. They do have some problems. Of course they don't have nearly as many as money scrounging american car makers have had. When you make a million car, cutting costs by every $1 per car means a bigger bonus for those in the executive level. Of course this eventually has come and bit them in the ass.

Um? Overrated? No way...Lets compare two mid 90's cars that my family has owned. They are indeed different, but for the sake of comparisson, lets take a look at problems faced with each vehicle:

Ford 1993 Thunderbird SC, Problems:
Piston Knocking
Misaligned Rear Axle
Horrible Paint Job
Supercharger Eventually Put Out
Engline "Bumpers" Constantly Fell Out
Steering Assembly Had a Constant Rattle
The Door Closing Assembly Never Worked Solidly
Flexy Frame
CD Player Eventually Died
Air Conditioner Broke

Toyota 1994 4Runner SR5, Problems:
Steering Bumpers Needed Replacement, cost: $50.00

Let me take a second to think here.....hmm...

I am convinced to not buy an American car, especially Ford.

Chris L
01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Toyota and Honda are typically over rated when it comes to reliability.

Numbers don't lie. Typically overrated when it comes to reliability? Name me one automobile manufacturer that exceeds vehicle reliability more than Toyota and/or Honda. There are none that do that.

* http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/11/08/cr_most_reliable/index.html

* http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2006/04/20/reliable-vehicles-japanese_cx_dl_0424feat.html

They do have some problems. Of course they don't have nearly as many as money scrounging american car makers have had.

That's just stating the obvious. Cars are machines. Due to unforseen cirumstances, machines can break down.

Marc
01-04-2007, 04:47 AM
That's just stating the obvious. Cars are machines. Due to unforseen cirumstances, machines can break down.

Exactly my point.

Chris L
01-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Not really. What I got from your post was that "Toyota and Honda are typically over rated when it comes to reliability." That statement is alleging that there's another motor company that builds more reliable cars, otherwise, Honda and Toyota wouldn't be overrated --- because they're at the top in that category.

Marc
01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I know what your saying but I tend to think in absolutes as opposed to relative terms.

CP Maverick
01-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Comparing two mid 90's cars with two cars now is a totally different story. Those mid 90's cars got the "Big 3" to step it up on quality.

And RWD is only bad with low traction. Counter that by not gassing it through corners...

http://home.att.net/~enfynet/new_stripes2.JPG

And I have 37k on my car without any major problems... There were a couple "new model" defects that were taken care of though.

Ryan F
01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
\And I have 37k on my car without any major problems... There were a couple "new model" defects that were taken care of though.
I could remember a bit of a problem when we were driving near Detroit...

CP Maverick
01-10-2007, 09:19 PM
That wasn't a manufacture defect... Apparently it was the fact I was doing burnouts caused a little premature wear... Besides, that part is made in Mexico... I can get better parts made in the US to replace it. ;)

goingcoasting
01-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I've had quite a few cars, but I think my favorite was my 1988 Ford Thunderbird. It had the digital dash which was pretty ahead of its time. I traded it in with 290,XXX miles and everything still worked great, including the transmission and A/C! For an A/C to be working in any car after that long is pretty good.

ThrillRider247
01-19-2007, 05:17 PM
i want 2 get the 08 Ford Focus its HOT

rlrcstrfreak
03-18-2007, 05:26 PM
I got a Black c230 Mercedes Kompressor.

20,000 miles
$17,000

SkierGirl77
03-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I plan on driving a Honda. Maybe a Civic. Haven't fully decided yet but it will be a Honda I know that much.

Cuddy
03-18-2007, 10:20 PM
^Hondas have a reputation for keeping their value.

Its still 5 years away still, but I'm already planning on my next car. I'm thinking of a Toyota (Camry or Corolla), Honda (Accord and loaded), Nissan, Scion, or staying with Saturn and grabbing the Aura.

Leo C
03-18-2007, 10:52 PM
the Aura looks great. I'm very Nissan Altima and now Saturn Aura sided.
Nissan Altima 2.5 SL or SE with Convienence package - alloys, sunroof, dual exhaust.

I still have my Civic. :) Just over 175k now.

V2kid62489
03-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I got a '94 BMW 325is last weekend for 6500, it fits what I want in a car exactly, good handling, decent gas mileage, looks good, pretty quick, lots of features (power/heated seats, ABS, stability control etc.) , RWD and its a 5spd manual. I love it, especially now that I've gotten the hang of the stick shift its awesome.

pic of my baby :)

Leo C
03-18-2007, 11:23 PM

I've known two people that owned the quad steering Preclude. The second person I've known with it gleefully drove it and spun around corners like a happy puppy. I just saw the same guy but now with a Mitsubishi Eclipse. I asked him with hopefulness: "Please tell me it's been sold in one piece to someone else?" No, he hit something.

Good luck with the car. It does look like fun.

I'm cool with the Honda Element too. The first Elements I saw with the removable rear roof glass piece were pretty weird yet interesting. It had enough quirks to keep me interested. I'm just glad the fenders now are the body color. Are they plastic panels still like the fenders were before?

The Ridgeline looks like it has terrible ground clearance but that locked box under the bed looks like it could be turned into a pretty sweet tailgating cooler. :)

Brian F
03-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Still in the same old truck, here. Tuned it up last week, and the old spark plugs looked great. I'll probably get to 250K miles without replacing the engine.

Wes
03-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I have a VW Beetle (99)

Well...forgot about this thread.

My Beetle is paid for and is still running! I plan to run it until the wheels fall off.

I've got a little over 100k on it. It's taken me to St. Louis and back and Tampa and back.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=15579&stc=1&d=1174322596

joedonuts1011
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I'll go over my car ownership history as well.

1980 Chevy Mailbu 4 door
1984 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 door
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 2 door Sports Coupe (LOVED THIS CAR!)
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (Boxy, bump box...hated it!)
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (MUCH better than the old style '89)
2004 Ford Explorer (My 1st Brand New Car Purchase)

Been drivin since late '88, when I turned 17. Took me 5 cars before I was able to afford myself a brand new car.

I still fondly remember my LSC. You don't see very many of them on the road anymore.

slipknot8527
03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Well...forgot about this thread.

My Beetle is paid for and is still running! I plan to run it until the wheels fall off.

I've got a little over 100k on it. It's taken me to St. Louis and back and Tampa and back.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=15579&stc=1&d=1174322596

HA! And here we were making fun of Drewbie for his girlie car. Hey, where do you keep the sunflower? In the little holder on the dash?

coasterman1234
03-19-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm getting a silver Toyota Solara at some point after November (when I turn 16).

Jerry S
03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I drive a Honda Civic (2002). I love it. I used to drive a '97 Ford Taurus, which had a pretty powerful V6, but was plagued with drappy mileage, bad transmission, and a funny noise, eventually the brakes just stopped working, and when we had it cheked, they foudn the whole car was flling apart.

I love Honda. They last forever, and they drive good enough to want forever. When I have money, I'm going for an Acura.

Wes
03-19-2007, 03:19 PM
HA! And here we were making fun of Drewbie for his girlie car. Hey, where do you keep the sunflower? In the little holder on the dash?

That shows what you know. I've got roses in mine. :p

And A TN sticker on the back. Oh no! I am gay! :eek: I'm not, but I couldn't resist.

Just because a guy drives a Beetle doesn't make him gay.

slipknot8527
03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
That's true....but it sure doesn't help your heterosexuality either. :)

Leo C
03-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah - He's not driving a Cabrio. The guy's alright. He could just as easily put a spoiler on the back, some rims like a Cup racing Beetle.

What stadium is that Wes?

Cuddy
03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
^Not the color that Wes drives anyway ;)

Wes
03-20-2007, 08:27 AM
^ Be nice or I'll start yelling again.

What stadium is that Wes?

That's the University of South Carolina Gamecocks *snickers* stadium (Williams-Bryce (http://uscsports.cstv.com/facilities/scar-facilities-footbl-photos1.html)).

It's right next door to the SC state fair grounds.

Here's a better shot of it. It's different for sure. Plus I think they built it back in the 70s.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=15580&stc=1&d=1174393840

Marc
03-20-2007, 09:05 AM
He could just as easily put a spoiler on the back, some rims like a Cup racing Beetle.

But more likely something like this (http://www.gumption.org/1999/ladybug.htm). :D

TDMAMBA
03-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm very fond of American made trucks and SUV's. Foreigns are good if you're into the long lasting , usually low power, and great mileage vehicles. Give me a dodge, Ford, chevy, even a toyota truck or SUV anyday over a beetle, Accord, Camry, or Civic. :p

Wes
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
So you're saying you prefer short lived, gas guzzling, overpowered cars that get 10 mpg? :confused:

Byron
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
American trucks are likely to last longer than a lot of cars on the road. The big 3 might suck at making cars, but they can make trucks.

TDMAMBA
03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
American trucks are likely to last longer than a lot of cars on the road. The big 3 might suck at making cars, but they can make trucks.

Exactly. And the Ford Excursion has been discontinued. Plus their cars aren't half that bad. I mean The Crown Vic, Mustang, Fusion, Impala,etc. are atleast decent cars. Not many vehicles out there get 10mpg anymore. Even on the streets.

Jerry S
03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
I think lately Dodge and Jeep have been the worst with mileage. A new Durango is 14 MPG.

A lot of Japanese and Euro cars are more powerful than American cars. The fastest street legal car is made by VW Audi, for example. Mazda makes some pretty powerful cars like the RX-8, but that's as reliable as an American car because of it's engine.

TDMAMBA
03-20-2007, 04:24 PM
wow aint that so. Even the new Expedition and Expedition EL gets better than that. I think it's 15/20mpg but don't quote me on dat.

CP Maverick
03-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I think lately Dodge and Jeep have been the worst with mileage. A new Durango is 14 MPG.

A lot of Japanese and Euro cars are more powerful than American cars. The fastest street legal car is made by VW Audi, for example. Mazda makes some pretty powerful cars like the RX-8, but that's as reliable as an American car because of it's engine.

Madza is also part of Ford. And the RX-8 isn't really "powerful" it just gets high HP numbers from having a 9k rpm redline. Thats the difference between American and Japanese cars. People tend to look at HP numbers which are excessively high at 8000 rpm like most Hondas can get to. Ten or twenty years ago the US was making inferior cars to the imports, it's much more of a level playing field now. My sister's bf has an 03 Silverado 2500HD with a 496cu in vortec and easily over 120k miles. My 05 Mustang has just under 40k miles and I haven't even really driven it since mid-January when it started snowing. Stereotypical comments about domestics being inferior are dated. Do some unbiased research. Heck we had 2 old Taurus' (87 and 92) that went well past 200k miles before we donated them to people that needed them.

SkierGirl77
03-28-2007, 07:14 PM
This is the car I want when I get to drive on my own next year.

My car (http://www.cardata.com/images/2006/honda%20accord%20coupe.jpg)

Rachel123
03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
^^ I've heard good things about the Accord :)
I'm still driving a Dodge like I said before. For those of you in my area though. I work at Kennedy Ford in oavkille. So if anyone is in need of a new car, I'm happy to help :)

coasetrphil
06-16-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm bringing this thread back to show off the new car I got earlier today. It's a 2007 Mazda3 5-Door Touring Edition. I'm very pleased with it.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5011/dscn0807da6.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/4961/dscn0808fp3.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3711/dscn0809ph5.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8339/dscn0810bc6.jpg
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7061/dscn0814ls2.jpg

Skyhawk09
06-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I got a Black c230 Mercedes Kompressor.

20,000 miles
$17,000

One of my friends' brother got a black C230. It's a really sweet looking car. The license plate is BALL1N, haha. Is yours the sport coupe?

coasterman1234
06-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I got my car recently (even though I'm not yet 16), its a charcoal colored 2004 2-Door Honda Accord EX. My parents drive it some now (as do I with my permit) and it gets nearly 30 MPG :D. I'll get pictures later.

Cuddy
06-17-2007, 12:32 AM
mazda has a good line, but I'm looking at the Toyota line for my next car. Perhaps a yaris.

My ION is still doing good.

CP Maverick
06-17-2007, 04:36 AM
it gets nearly 30 MPG :D.

I know I'm only quoting part of this... but my 300hp V8 Mustang gets between 24 and 26mpg per TANK... thats city and highway. I've seen highway numbers of 28-30mpg. I know there's econoboxes out there getting 35-40 mpg, but that's not a significant number unless you drive a LOT of miles in a year.

Example: Say you drive 10,000 miles a year at 25 mpg and $3.50 per gallon... thats $1400.
Same problem at 35mpg = $1000

This is the huge arguement for hybrid cars... How many years does it take to eat the cost difference between the gas engine and the gas-electric engine? A $4000 difference in price would take 10 years at the sample numbers above to balance out.

As for cars like mine... I think the nearly $2000 at the pump is worth owning an iconic, gorgeous, fun, reliable, and f-ing fast car. :)

Timbersman
06-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I got a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am. It is in perfect condition. No dents, rust or fads in color. For being an older car it looks nice.

Kyle L
06-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I know I'm only quoting part of this... but my 300hp V8 Mustang gets between 24 and 26mpg per TANK... thats city and highway. I've seen highway numbers of 28-30mpg. I know there's econoboxes out there getting 35-40 mpg, but that's not a significant number unless you drive a LOT of miles in a year.

Example: Say you drive 10,000 miles a year at 25 mpg and $3.50 per gallon... thats $1400.
Same problem at 35mpg = $1000

This is the huge arguement for hybrid cars... How many years does it take to eat the cost difference between the gas engine and the gas-electric engine? A $4000 difference in price would take 10 years at the sample numbers above to balance out.

As for cars like mine... I think the nearly $2000 at the pump is worth owning an iconic, gorgeous, fun, reliable, and f-ing fast car. :)

Your 300HP V8 Mustang most likely requires Supreme Gas.

You just wasted a lot of time making an arguement.

rckrazy06
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't drive, but my parents have been driving Toyotas for as long as I can remember.

Leo C
06-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I have to do some rear fender rust work, touch up on my Honda this week or after I come back from Tennessee.

Skyhawk09
06-17-2007, 11:42 PM

No, it is made to run with unleaded regular gasoline.

Leo C
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM
In Korea I was surprised that I did not see a single Toyota. Hyundai was king. I was amazed to realize there is a world without Toyota still. There was still some Lexus vehicles there.

M1hockeydude
06-18-2007, 12:15 AM
I currently drive a 2004 Black turbocharged Passat Volkswagen with 35% tints.

Redfoot12
06-19-2007, 03:52 PM
2007 Black Toyota Camry LE
(should have gotten something less expensive)

epijlh
06-19-2007, 04:08 PM
In Korea I was surprised that I did not see a single Toyota. Hyundai was king. I was amazed to realize there is a world without Toyota still. There was still some Lexus vehicles there.Isn't Hyundi a Korean company?

I drive my dad's car around. It's an '02 PT with a high-erformance air filter, throttle spacer, new sparks, a high-performance exhaust kit, and smoothie moons (http://www.hubcapmike.com/images/smoothie_sm.jpg). We have a white neon kit, but we can't find the right bracket to hold them up. My dad wants to buy new headers, but my mum won't let him .:sadface:

I have a question that the mechanics can't figure out. When the car hits about 100-110, there is this terrible squeaking. It almost seems like one of the wheels is bad, but we checked out all the running gear and all is fine and dandy.

coaster_kid89
06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
^It may be the limit for the computer at 110, dunno why it would squeek though.

I have a 97 Shi-Taurus that I am just going to keep my first couple years in Florida so when I run into an old person that can't drive I will come out of the wreck with a smile. Some of the people in Orlando simply can't drive. (When it gets to 105 it shutters, built in massage system.)

Riddler156
06-21-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 S with the Special Edition package. I got it brand new back in December, and I love it! It's my first car; I got it for my co-op (kind of like an internship) job during the spring semester. I can't take any more pictures of it now, because I'm away at school and it's at home. So this camera phone pic is all I have right now:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o120/SonataSilence2001/04-24-07_1757smaller.jpg

GeminiRider
06-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Two words.

Dodge Viper

I don't have one :( but i want one really bad!!

CP Maverick
06-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Owners Manual says 87 Octane. I choose to get my car re-tuned for 93 to control detonation at high RPMs better and am currently putting 290hp to the wheels [about 340 at the crank]

And the whole point of my arguement is that you should not buy a car based only on its MPG rating as those are not entirely accurate. Especially with the unpredictibility of fuel prices anymore, just budget yourself to spend almost twice what you need on gas and find something you want to drive.

Note: This arguement is redundant for those who consider a car as simply a method of getting from point A to B. A car is an investment who's only return is satisfication, unless you magically land on a gold mine that will be work 10x its current value in 25-50 years [good luck!].

V2kid62489
06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
And the whole point of my arguement is that you should not buy a car based only on its MPG rating as those are not entirely accurate. Especially with the unpredictibility of fuel prices anymore, just budget yourself to spend almost twice what you need on gas and find something you want to drive.

Actually the EPA testing standards for 2008 model cars have been changed and it is much more accurate. At the BMW dealership the 08 5 series have rolled out and if you compare an 08 with an 07 with the same engine the 08 has lower MPG due to more realistic testing procedures.

CP Maverick
06-28-2007, 04:58 PM
^ Yeah... It was changed for '08 due to the inaccuracy of previous ratings. On top of that, CAFE standards are going up.

Brian H
06-28-2007, 07:04 PM
My first vehicle was a 1980 Nissan Pickup manual shift, then I had a 1990? Pontiac Grand Am van, and then a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville which just died on me. So now I'm carless, anyone got a good cheap car for sale?