PDA

View Full Version : BGW in '05?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Jerry S
01-31-2005, 03:12 PM
^ I don't see any construction pics.

DarKastleFreak
01-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Look under for the press in the left hand bar then under images. It should say january construction pictures or something.

OMG!! I wonder if those are the only parts of the ride they have ready now. It looks like there's a path in those pictures with the trees and the fence in front of them. I wonder if there will be live actors or animatronics to go on the path. Probabally not, because that wouldn't be cost effective, but still....

It's hard to tell what's real and what's a mural in those cave scene pictures. The scary cave guy in the very front on the left side of the screen (you only see a little fraction of it) on the picture where you can see a little bit of the track looks like the one that they have pictures of the workers sanding to me.

(later)
The press release video has a picture of a guy's computer screen with the cave scene designed on it. The cave guy in the middle was changed in the end product (look at his mouth), but that image shows that the one they were sanding was the one on the far left (or something very much like it.)

DisGardeVersal
01-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Nice work man, also in the lowermost picture at the right, if you look towards the bottom of the picture, you can see the ride track, moving right on through the area.

Ok, I think I see a few differences falling into place between Curse of DarKastle, and Spiderman, Spiderman, though being a fun ride, barely had any "real scenery" that meaning stuff that is actually there and not brought in through 3-D imaging. Looks like BG, is going all the way, to make up for its "no new ride" time.

magnumxl2005
01-31-2005, 09:14 PM
I couldn't find any..where at?

DisGardeVersal
01-31-2005, 09:33 PM
First off on the website click "for the press" then not on the main screen but in the list under that click "Press Releses" then when that section opens up click "images" then click "Curse of DarKastle: The Ride January constructon update"

NC Coasterman
01-31-2005, 10:08 PM
You can do all of that, or just follow this link.

http://www.buschgardensnews.com/Darkastle_Progressive_January/default.html

Ta-DA!

Wes
02-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Cool! That's some serious theming. Nice to see that for a change.

bk2004
02-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Good Lord that looks freaky. The white leaves look insane!! Along with the cave carvings into faces. Wow it does look good and like Wes said, it's nice to see that for a change!!

Does the track look like it does at IOA? It looks too simple and plain like the "Castle" type rides.

DarKastleFreak
02-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure about the track. I'll try to research that if I have time. About the white leaves, my theory is they're white so they can be colored by lights shining on them. And the theming, I have to agree, is excellent even by Busch Gardens' standards.

(later)
I haven't been able to find any pictures of the track, but I did find a couple of articles with semi-technical details about Spiderman sprinkled in them here and there. The most I've found so far is the 20 cars each with three computers run simultaneously on an "electrical" track. I've found no big details and even if I do, It'll be hard to match them to the three feet of track we only have a picture of. Still, I'll keep looking.

hulkrider04
02-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Themeing is sweet. cant wait to ride this thing.

DisGardeVersal
02-01-2005, 06:43 PM
not too sure about all the stuff about the track just yet. but I can say that it looks like the exact thing for spiderman, on some Travel Channel countdown they show the cars and all the stuff inside spiderman moving around and stuff, and there are several shots where you can see the track. there is a little grip thing that catches onto the track, surronded by a few wheels grabbing around both sides of the track, kind of like the guard wheels on Le Mans raceway. from there it travels up some crazy contraption, able to make the ride move around in all different directions, to where the car gets attached.

HPStormRunner22
02-01-2005, 07:10 PM
That themeing looks awesome. I think this will be a better ride than Spiderman. They have had a lot of technological advances, and this ride contains great themeing! The track does look simple, but that is probably all they need.

DarKastleFreak
02-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, It does seem that the cars (in Spiderman at least) are very self-sufficient (Sort of like the ones in Disney's tower of terror. They are programed to drive themselves without a track.)

BuschGardensfan
02-01-2005, 07:39 PM
i think it looks awesome. I can't wait t'll may when i go out there.

Wes
02-01-2005, 09:24 PM
The cars in Spiderman are great, they can tilt up and move in all directions.

At one point it looks like you are falling off a building, and the car is tilted over so that it looks like you are falling.

The cars are exactly the same for Dar Kastle.

I don't think I'll get up there this year, maybe a fall trip. I can't wait to ride this.

I'd have preferred a coaster, but at least they aren't getting another 4D movie. :rolleyes:

DarKastleFreak
02-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Great way to be an optimist. If you make a fall trip try to come in October. Even though the water rides are closed, Howl-o-scream is great. I'm expecting some excelent howl-o-scream theming from Busch Gardens aroung the DarKastle area this year.

DisGardeVersal
02-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Uh Oh, Tomb Raider being built at Kings Dominion, DarKastle being built at Busch Gardens, I sense a battle, Busch will definitely win though.

bk2004
02-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Oh ok. The track just looks so small and "un-developed" for such a larger car, but I guess it's not really riding on it. Just along it. Hardly that either with all of the technology on board.

Wes
02-03-2005, 08:19 AM
The track from what I remember on Spiderman is very small. Like a single rail or something.

Uh Oh, Tomb Raider being built at Kings Dominion, DarKastle being built at Busch Gardens, I sense a battle, Busch will definitely win though.

They'll win the best ride pick I'm sure, but who knows which will have a bigger increase in attenance.

Tomb Raider will be outdoors, so I don't think it was be as exciting as DarKastle.

DarKastleFreak
02-03-2005, 05:27 PM
From what I've been reading about the development of Spiderman, to create the illusion of something being 3D as you move around it, the animators must know exactly where the car is during each part of the video clip. For example, if you look out a window and trace the figure of a building onto the glass, then look at the window from a different angle, the outline won't still outline the building from your point of view. The animators of spiderman had to constantly change the point of view of the camera to let the screen act as the window. This technique makes the image look distorted at times to a person who is watching it while standing still.

What does this have to do with Dar Kastle? Recall the short piece of animation shown in the video preview (the one with the guy flying around in front of the archway and then popping out at you). As you watch it, the image is not distorted at all. This leads me to believe that the ride cars will be standing still in front of that particular screen.

Notice I said that particular screen, however. I'm sure that Busch Gardens will have some screens where you move by them to compete with the Spiderman technology. Also to compete, I feel sure that we can expect at least one curved screen that will fill your viewing range, hopefully in the free fall simulation.

Also from the articles I have read, It seems the same company worked on the animation for both Corkscrew Hill (another simulation ride at BGW for those of you who don't know), and Spiderman. It seems to me that it would be a logical choice for BGW to use this company again for the creation of Dar Kastle. I point this out for those who may bother to find out how to contact this company and try to get information out of them. BGW is usually excellent at keeping things a secret, though, so I doubt you'll get much out of them. Although I'm sure they're sworn to secrecy too, one may try to get information from the voice actors who provide vocal talent for the characters. Surely they know something we don't about the ride. But they may be reluctant to give out information because BGW could sue them for giving out information or something.

These are just my suspicions so far. I'm still researching Spiderman and I will post if I come up with anything new.

Jerry S
02-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Tomb Raider is outdoors? Is it the same as PKI? I never knew the one at PKI is outdoors. Also, is it just a really, really tall top spin?

Wes
02-03-2005, 07:55 PM
The PKI version is indoors and the PKD version will be outdoors. Although with the addition of fire effects I think.

The PKI version probably will beat it hands down though. I love that ride.

Jerry S
02-03-2005, 07:59 PM
So it's a really tall top spin ride with lots of theming? That sounds pretty cool. Does it have the new restraints like on the inverted top spins? I know it's not the right place to talk about this, so someone answer this question and I'll stop.

Montu Man
02-08-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the same as other top spins. Any new news? Is this opening when the park does?

DisGardeVersal
02-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Odd, if you go to the BGW official website and look at the map, there's a new building not where DarKastle is going, but in between The Big Bad Wolf's drop into the Rhine River, and where the train passes that area.

Wes
02-10-2005, 08:35 AM
^^ Those park maps aren't always acurate though.

They don't even list DarKastle at all and I'm sure it will be on the paper copies this year.

Those things are always "artist renderings" and not always accurate.

hulkrider04
02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Park maps are NOT ACCURATE. They sometimes tell you to go one way and its a dead end.

DisGardeVersal
02-10-2005, 09:29 PM
This is all true, but I've saved other "actual" park maps, from when I last went to the park, and the more extended "brochure" park map from AAA and other places. neither of these two maps have the building in it that I am speaking of.

bigbadwolf501
02-11-2005, 05:00 PM
i've seen the building on the map before too. its just a thing for decoration, nothing of any significance

Montu Man
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Universal park maps are fine...

After watching the promo video again, I'm wondering if this will be a corny flop like the miserable Haunted Lighthouse. I've been on the one at BGT and Seaworld San Deigo, and those were horrible. Some of the creatures looks a bit childisih, and I'm not sure if the concept of going through a castle is as cool as going around the streets of NY with tons of special effects.

DisGardeVersal
02-11-2005, 11:11 PM
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!
If one more person, says that this ride is going to a letdown, Im gonna go crazy. Sure Busch has let us down with the shows, but when the build a thrillride, have they ever gone wrong with that. These people know what they are doing

They are the same ones that build the first double looping (interlocking at that!) coaster,

the first truly correctly working suspended coaster,

the tallest and fastest inverted roller coaster in the world,

the very first B&M hypercoaster,

a chute-the-chutes ride, the only one I know that heats you up with flame and extinguishes you with a great splash of water,

The world's favorite amusement park, the world's most beautiful amusement park, most clean, most longing to give people more than just a big ol' slab of concrete with a bunch of steel sitting on top of it, most perfectly balanced amusement park, I've ever known.

magnumxl2005
02-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Tallest and fastest inverted roller coaster belongs to cedar point.

DisGardeVersal
02-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I beg to differ
Raptor- 137 ft high, 57 mph
Alpengeist- 195 ft high, 67 mph

Apollo's Chariot
02-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Cedar Point's Wicked Twister stands 215 ft, and reaches 72 mph

Also LNM was not the first double looping coaster
Demon @ Six FLags Great America started operation in 1976 pre-dating LNM by two years
Double Loop at Geauga Lake also has two loop and started operating in 1977 again pre-dating LNM

Six Flags Great Adventure also had Lightning Loops in 1978 which opened roughly around the same time as LNM. LL's loop interlocked with one of a second identical roller coaster.

Six Flags Astro World opened XLR-8, a suspended coaster in 1984

Cid
02-12-2005, 02:41 PM
the first truly correctly working suspended coaster,

...and I do believe that Astroworld holds that title. Not BGW.

I'm excited for Shiekra though it will be quite awhile before I get a chance to ride it.

DisGardeVersal
02-12-2005, 11:51 PM
true, cp does have wicked twister, but would you really call that an inverted ride, like an slc, which is what I was thinking of at least, as far as swinging suspended, that i think is too close to call, i'll admit I took advantage of an unfair situation, please note i never said LNM is the only interlocking loops ride just the first, as for the other double looping rides i had not gotten to those yet, on my year-long coaster learning experience, we all learn from our mistakes and you guys have taught me a bit more, and saved me some time looking those rides up, thank you.

Wes
02-13-2005, 09:20 AM
^^ Loch Ness Monster is now the only interlocking loops.

They scrapped Orient Express a year ago.

Jerry S
02-13-2005, 11:06 AM
...and I do believe that Astroworld holds that title. Not BGW.

I'm excited for Shiekra though it will be quite awhile before I get a chance to ride it.

No, it's Big Bad Wolf. there's a whole history behind it with Anton Shwarzkopf, and he designed this one, but then something happened. Arrow took his plans and made BBW.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that most roller coaster history books would say that after the Bat, BBW came first, before XLR8.

EDIT: To elaborate on the Shwarzkopf stuff here's what happened:

Anton designed a swinging suspended coaster based on the Bat, and it's flaws. After the Bat, Arrow didn't really know how to improve. But Anton made plans for one that had banked turns, so that there wouldn't be as much stress on the car's mechanics. His coaster cars were these very long, spaceship like cars, and only two cars per train. So BGW hired Anton to do the job, but he was only done with the footers when the company went bankrupt. So Arrow (Ron Toomer) took his plans, and put their own coaster track in the footers already made. Had their style coaster cars, etcetra. That is actually a big reson that BBW is considered so much better than the others, it's half Arrow, half Shwarzkopf.

I think while BBW was being built, SFAW then saw that it was being done, and wanted one also for the same year. They both opened in 84, but I'm pretty sure BBW opened first. If you find any information on the web saying I'm wrong, post it up here.

Cid
02-13-2005, 12:14 PM
"XLR-8 opened in 1984 as the first working suspended coaster in the world. Although there are numerous suspended coasters that pre-date XLR-8, it was the first to stay up for an extended amount of time. The ride features 2 lifts and is a rather tame ride. In 2002, the rear half of the train was turned around so it faced backwards for Fright Fest. The ride has continued to operate in this manner since then. In 2004, the ride recieved a new teal and orange paint scheme to replace its aging light blue color scheme."

http://www.houstonthrills.com/xlr8.php

However I did find other pages that said BBW was, so I'm a little lost on which to believe now. :confused:

Jerry S
02-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I think I have a book by David Bennet stating BBW was the first. It was aroundthe same time, so you never know. Perhaps BBW was in planning first, but XLR-8 opened first.

Cid
02-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Thats what I was thinking, cause SFAW would of probably opened earlier in the season than BGW due to better weather conditions in Texas.

bigbadwolf501
02-13-2005, 04:55 PM
well BBW did open in 1984. it was the 1st design after the bat. also, alpengeist is still the world's tallest and fastest B&M invert.

magnumxl2005
02-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah b&m invert but he said overall inverted coaster, is wt not inverted?

Montu Man
02-13-2005, 09:49 PM
WT is the tallest and fastest inverted coaster. Alpie is the tallest and fastest full circuit inverted coaster. PWNED!!

DisGardeVersal
02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
I think I have a book by David Bennet stating BBW was the first. It was aroundthe same time, so you never know. Perhaps BBW was in planning first, but XLR-8 opened first.

ahh, someone else has the book Roller Coaster by David Bennett, just to make sure its the same, not sure if he wrote another or yet by now, does it have Mantis on the cover?

as for WT being tallest and fastest invert, and alpie being tallest and fastest full circuit invert.....

Trueness!

bk2004
02-13-2005, 10:53 PM
I have that book and just looked in it and the only thing that it says about the two is when the suspened coasters were a fab and it justs names them all with the year beside it and 1984 is for both. It doesn't say which opened first.

Though I think the bat is the first, and true suspened. Even though it was short lived.

Jerry S
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
^It was different though. The others are a "different species" because of their banked turns. I remember Arrow had a video of a new prototype model they made for one without banking. None were ever ordered though. I think it even had a corkscrew.

BuschBoys
02-14-2005, 10:47 PM
LNM first interlocking loop coaster is what was ment

Apollo's Chariot
02-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Tallest full circuit inverted, Alpengeist 67mph
Fastest full circuit inverted, Volcano: The Blast Coaster 70mph

DarKastleFreak
02-17-2005, 05:45 PM
BGW released a new video! Click on For the press in the left margin and to the right of the DarKastle logo that pops up should be a February construction update video. It's a large download, but it's worth it.
The ride looks phenomenal! Excellent theming! The stone walls look great! In the picture of the huge ornate archway with the track going straight to it, to the left of the track there is a huge white wall. I wonder if it'll be one of the screens. I doubt it though. They'll probably turn you to face the archways on the right in that picture. The cars look weird. I wonder if there will be a covering for the base or if we will get to see the base when we get in the car at all. Everything seems smaller than I expected in this video. I expected the cars to be bigger, especially from the picture of the inside of the cars under the images section when you click on for the press. The main tower seems kind of squat to me. But I'm sure It'll look great by the time its done. I wonder how they're going to hide the back of the building. It isn't shown in the rendering.

bigbadwolf501
02-18-2005, 05:40 PM
on BGW's passport member website it siad that in 2005 opening along w/ Curse of DraKastle is Oktoberfest Marktplaz which is a samll restaurant/shop, LeMans Bistro, a new restaurant in Aquitaine which will take the place of what used to be Le Coq d'Or, and they will also be expanding the wolf and eagle habitats in Jack Hanah's Wild Reserve and will enhance their viewing areas. sounds like lots are going to be happening this season!

Wes
02-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I like the wolves, so I can't wait to see more of them or at least more territory for them.

BuschBoys
02-19-2005, 12:41 AM
the restaraunt in aquitaine should be like your everyday type rest. you get seated and served they tested it during o4 season and liked it.

hulkrider04
02-19-2005, 08:45 AM
BGW released a new video! Click on For the press in the left margin and to the right of the DarKastle logo that pops up should be a February construction update video. It's a large download, but it's worth it.
The ride looks phenomenal! Excellent theming! The stone walls look great! In the picture of the huge ornate archway with the track going straight to it, to the left of the track there is a huge white wall. I wonder if it'll be one of the screens. I doubt it though. They'll probably turn you to face the archways on the right in that picture. The cars look weird. I wonder if there will be a covering for the base or if we will get to see the base when we get in the car at all. Everything seems smaller than I expected in this video. I expected the cars to be bigger, especially from the picture of the inside of the cars under the images section when you click on for the press. The main tower seems kind of squat to me. But I'm sure It'll look great by the time its done. I wonder how they're going to hide the back of the building. It isn't shown in the rendering.
I just saw the video and the cars seem really small! Everything else looks great.
Heres is the video
http://www.4adventure.com/buschgardens/va/busch_darkastle_press2_large-download.mov

Montu Man
02-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm not impressed with the themeing. It probably wasn't the best choice, and so far ( I know it's not near done) Spiderman has so much more and so much little details that you have to ride many times to see it all.

likeminded
02-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm not impressed with the themeing. It probably wasn't the best choice, and so far ( I know it's not near done) Spiderman has so much more and so much little details that you have to ride many times to see it all.

Since you realize that it is not nearly done, why don't you wait to pass judgement until it is completed? And for everyone griping, I agree that the video clip makes some thing look odd (the cars, for one) or not-quite-stellar, but that is because it is not done yet! These people are professionals and they are saying that this will be the most advance ride of this type ever built. They are probably right, but even if they are not, we won't really know until it is done and we have ridden it! I excpect there will be some that are disappointed then and some that are thrilled, but regardless, at least you will be able to make a reasonable, sound judgement.

DarKastleFreak
02-23-2005, 06:36 PM
I just got a little news thingy in the mail about BGW next year. DarKastle is expected to open in May. The preview date for passport members is March 12 (10:00 to 6:00). They're making it look more spooky than the rendering shows. The picture involves a ghost wolf flying around the tower leaving a trail of ice and a huge fanged ghost's head floating in the air blowing on the castle. I can't wait!

DisGardeVersal
02-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Was that from BGW to passport members, or something else? Because all the newsletters and stuff you guys have been talking about, I haven't gotten a single one.

Here's some more stuff on DarKastle and all the other things giong into the park...
http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/va/ftp_press_releases_details.aspx?pr_num=717

Montu Man
02-23-2005, 07:32 PM
It's gonna be done in like 3 weeks? That's hard to beleive. It sounds more like technical rehearsals will be then, not passholder previews.

bigbadwolf501
02-23-2005, 08:12 PM
^no, its passport member preview day. they have it every year. the ride isnt going to be finished by then. its just a day for pass members to go to the park before the general public. they also have a special picnic. and yes, the mail thing are just for pass members only. i got one and the picture does look scary!

DarKastleFreak
02-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Oops. I should have read that post before I posted it. I ment the preview date for BGW passport members is March 12. DarKasle opens in May. Sorry that wasn't clear.

DisGardeVersal
02-23-2005, 08:26 PM
ah, sorry one more question then I promise I'm done, Is it for people who did have season passes (like last year), or for those who have pre bought their passes for this year as well as platinum member passports that are on their second year?

bigbadwolf501
02-23-2005, 08:44 PM
its for anybody who has a 2005 season pass; silver, gold, or platinum

Red Dog 40
03-01-2005, 06:40 PM
i was just thinkin they r keep on talking about a big drop in this ride, do u think it might have a ToT type area, i hean there are gonna be parts up to 80 feet, and with under ground construction u can get a decent 100 plus drop in there. Now this is just a stupid idea im throwing in the air, but if u mix the technology of spidey and ToT and build a bavarian themed ride at BG u got urself a kick ass ride.

DarKastleFreak
03-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I don't think you really dropped very far on Spiderman. Most of it was simulated. I think it'll be the same way at BGW. I don't know though.

hulkrider04
03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
^You dont go that far and it is not a drop. I went through SP w/ no 3d because someone was videotaping. You dont drop!

Jerry S
03-01-2005, 07:49 PM
^Ok, but this is not spiderman. It is true that the building will have some pounts as high as 80 feet. It'd be safe to assume that the track slowly builds up to the top point, and then has a drop that actually does go down, for a better feeling of speed.

NC Coasterman
03-01-2005, 08:34 PM
No, it isn't safe to assume that the track builds up to a top point, it isn't safe to assume anything like that.

DisGardeVersal
03-01-2005, 09:37 PM
He is right though, in fact when I first read DarKastle would be more tech than spidey, that was the first thing taht popped into my mind. But then the question arose on how they would keep the vehicle in place on the drop, after coming up with nothing I ruled that theory out. and I haven't been able to come up with another one until now, and here's an article that gave me the possibility to come up with that theory.
http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/va/ftp_press_releases_details.aspx?pr_num=717

In this article one of the guys states that "when we say the ride will careen through the halls we mean it." if you look up the definiton of the word careen it means(well it least in my dictionary) -to lean or roll from side to side while moving fast. This gave me something to think about until it struck me like lightning. What if the car comes perpindicular or further to the ground during the course of the ride meaning, almost like an overbanked turn on a coaster. After thinking about this, it made perfect sense why the cars have a big bulky black thing, hiding the mechanics and stuff underneath the car. there should be enough space there to pull off a trick like what I just said. But here's another thing, the cars have seperate T-cross lap bars for individual people. Possibly to keep people in as a car flies over a turn, flipping the car on its side. Well, thats my two cents about it, just wanted to put in the only possibility I could think of. you could either agree with me, or I could be totally insane, the choice is yours.

DarKastleFreak
03-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Cool idea! But still, remember they have to fit two computers into each of these cars. And the track (at least the parts that we can see in pictures) doesn't look sturdy enough to do something like that with cars that weigh at least a ton. I think it'll be mostly flat with maybe one foot total in height difference. But that's just my prediction.
And about parts of the building being 80 feet, Isn't that the huge tower in front? I know the building is huge enough for a drop, but doesn't the maximum 80 footheight include the tower? Just a thought.

Jerry S
03-01-2005, 10:31 PM
I guess that's kindof what I thought it'd be like with the original robotic arm coaster. Now picture it w/o the robotic arm. It was something like this: The ride would go up slowly to a certain point, then it would go down the through a high speed section of the ride, with banking and all.

DisGardeVersal
03-01-2005, 10:35 PM
yes the tallest part reaching 80 feet is the tower out front. Please remember, the track isn't actually a track for the cars to ride on, its more of a guide rail, to keep it where it should be, and "guide" the cars through the ride. Hence its name, Guide Rail.

As for the computers, they can make computers pretty small nowadays, just think, it would be a bit like fitting a laptop into the ride, which wouldn't be too hard. Plus, the Imagineers had to put almost the same type of computers in the "elevators" for ToT, and I don't know if I'm the only one here thats seen the cars, for what they really are, its basically a box sitting on wheels, that moves inside the hallways of the ride, to and from the different "elevator shafts." I wish I could have a picture of these cars, but I have yet to find one online. I'm going down to universal/disney next week for spring break, I'll see what I can find out.

Montu Man
03-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Ok everyone, stop. If you need Spidey comparisons, talk to me. I rode this 3X in a row last weekend with no wait. Ok, look at the cars, those definitely don't look like drop ride type cars. Thats because it's not gonna drop. It's all gonna be a simulated drop. Their not gonna make the thing actually drop. It would have a higher height restriction then. Look at the ccars again, they definitely won't be able to do overbanks. look at the shots of the hallways, this thing isn't built to do overbanks. And the big bulky black thing under the car is where all the hydraulivs and crap that makes it move is. nothing else. Spidey has it too. Any other questions's?

Jerry S
03-01-2005, 11:19 PM
^You live in orlando, so I'm sure you rode Test track before. That has insane banking, but are the restraints that much? I all depends on the speed, and amount of banking.

DisGardeVersal
03-01-2005, 11:24 PM
It doesn't have to do an overbank on every turn, just one, thats cool for me. And that scene in the ride with the pillars and archways, looks wide enough to me for an overbank. no more questions, but you did give me a nice prediction of what ride lines will be like when I get there next week. One more thing, you, Montu Man, have a certain thing I like to call variety. It is the choice of being able to go to any of 8 amusement parks whenever you like. 8, count 'em yourself.
1. Universal Studios
2. Islands of adventure
3. Magic Kingdom
4. Epcot
5. MGM Studios
6. Animal Kingdom
7. Busch Gardens Tampa
8. Sea World Florida.

Don't get me wrong, It's ok to have this, but for those of us with just 2 parks to choose from, I think we like to enjoy the thought of a new attraction rather than look at it and say, IMPOSSIBLE! People said man couldn't fly, those people were proved wrong. People said an elevator couldn't leave it's shaft. They were proved wrong. People said only astronauts would know what it's like to go into space, they were proved wrong. Just remember everybody, Walt Disney Himself said
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"

Red Dog 40
03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
ok guys i just got this crazy idea bout dark kastle, here we go with the success of dk next year, BGW may be pondering to make a bavarian themed area, in the drachen fire vacent lot, this may sound bazzare but i think they can actually pull it off. They can anchor with a massiv coaster over there where df used to be and but in some shops maybe a drop tower and u got ur self i beastly area at BG, Dark Kastle, Drop Tower, Beast Rollercoaster, and some shops and resturaunt and i think BGW will be back at top for awhile. Just a wild thought.

erdraven
03-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Never happen...the park hates that area because it is buried in the park. besides SHM is probably still back there.

HPStormRunner22
03-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I saw some concept art for this ride in a magazine and it was pretty interesting. It had ghost wolves flying around and fangs of some creature in the backround of the picture. And I doubt they'd put anything in the old Drachen Fire area. It is set back pretty far. They would need something huge to bring people back. Including a new train station at that spot.

Jerry S
03-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I thought DarKastle is going to the DF section. If not, where is it going?

bigbadwolf501
03-08-2005, 07:25 PM
^its going where the wilde maus roller coaster used to be. also, they wouldnt get a bavarian themed country because oktoberfest is already the bavarian area.

bigbadwolf501
03-12-2005, 11:18 AM
sorry for the double post but today is BGW's passport member preview day. it will be interesting to see how construction is going and how the coasters are running

DarKastleFreak
03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
If anyone has the chance can you take pictures of how DarKastle currently works? I need to stage manage a show today so I can't go. Thanks!

Jerry S
03-12-2005, 12:16 PM
^its going where the wilde maus roller coaster used to be. also, they wouldnt get a bavarian themed country because oktoberfest is already the bavarian area.

Oh yea, but isn't BBW based on a Bavarian tale? This is kind of odd, because Wilde Maus was my second coaster, and first coaster above the track, so It'll be weird with it not there.

bigbadwolf501
03-12-2005, 12:36 PM
they sent wilde maus down to tampa last season where it is now called cheetah chase. yeah BBW is based on a tale but Oktoberfest is a Bavarian celebration so the rides in that area are somewhat Bavarian.

Montu Man
03-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Cheetah Chase fits in nice in BGT. I havn't been reading this thread lately, but does anyone know when DarKastle will open? I might be going to BGW sooner or later.

bigbadwolf501
03-12-2005, 01:21 PM
DarKastle will open April 30th. I know some of ya'll are still saying May but I saw on their website at one time that it said April 30th. for some reason their website isn't working today

BuschGardensfan
03-12-2005, 03:45 PM
i know it hasn't been working for the past few days :sadface:

Alpengurl
03-13-2005, 01:22 AM
It's definitely May 2005.. they can't have set a date just yet cuz outside construction is still going for the theming of the ride.. and for all those that went today YALL ROCK!! was some of the best guests EVER! I love preview day!

Oh and umm.. the coasters ran pretty well today.. only had to shut down a few times cuz of the temperature.. but i'm glad everyone (guests and crew) kept their heads and we still tried to make it fun for everyone

can't wait for next saturday

((edited for spelling.. needs to sleep))

bigbadwolf501
03-13-2005, 09:32 AM
I saw an ad in the paper for it that said April 30th and there was an interview on coaster-net w/ one of the managers who also said April 30th.

rocketchk
03-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Here's some pictures of construction from preview day. Being in BG in snow flurries was awesome. Da Vinvci's Cradle is GONE, but the lady by it said that it will be back in April "new and improved," which sounds exciting, but I think it's just repairs because it hasn't been the same since the hurricane. One note about the pictures, there were about 6 workers patrolling the wall and staring at me while i tried to climb the wall. Ooops.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/bgw28/0000bgw4.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/bgw28/0000bgw2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/bgw28/0000bgw3.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/bgw28/0000bgw6.jpg

Jessica

bigbadwolf501
03-13-2005, 02:49 PM
when you say DaVinci's Cradle was gone do you mean the ride itself was gone or was it closed?

rocketchk
03-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Dude.....GONE....G O N E, gone. I almost cried. I ride it everytime I'm there. It broke my heart to turn the corner and not see it. Every piece of the ride is gone. Even the supports/arms. I'd like to know what improvements they're gonna make, because it was fine the way it was.

Jessica

bigbadwolf501
03-13-2005, 03:21 PM
well just as long as they bring it back i will be happy. that is one of the best non-coaster rides at the park

BuschGardensfan
03-13-2005, 03:42 PM
ride looks great, by the way does anybody miss drachen fire like i do

Jerry S
03-13-2005, 04:03 PM
I miss it only because I never had a chance to ride it. The first time I went to BGW, it was one of the first weeks that the ride was closed.

DisGardeVersal
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Da Vinci's gone, until april...
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
its one of the classics, i do it every time I go there, one time there was literally no one there, someone asked to have the ride keep going and the ride op overid the pre-set ride. (4 drops on one side, then 4 on the other.) However I think it would be good to give this ride a nice thorough remake. As said earlier, it caused the park immense trouble after all those hurricanes.

Hey, hopefully they'll make a way people can raise their hands on it without being put in severe danger. lol

DarKastleFreak
03-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Cool pictures!!!! Thaks for going through the trouble to take them and post them!!
Too bad about DaVinci's Cradle!!!! That was one of my favorite non-coaster rides. I can't wait until it's back. I wonder if it'll look any different.
BGW sure had a budget to go through all these changes at once.

StevenV
03-15-2005, 06:35 AM
I do recall something like this before with DC (DaVinci's Cradle). Several years ago, the ride platform was gone, but the support towers were still there. I did not go there last weekend, to check it out. Was the entire ride gone??? or just the ride platform (where the seats are)?

DisGardeVersal
03-15-2005, 08:07 PM
If you'd had looked up just to the top of this page, you would have read that the entire ride and everything supporting it is gone.

hulkrider04
03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Nice pics and the March video was sweet!!!!!

DarKastleFreak
03-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I can't navigate to them. Can anyone post a link?
~later~
OK. I got to the video, but where are the new pictures?

ShannaLea
03-18-2005, 12:30 PM
We saw behind where DC is (I think from the train? I can't remember specifically, it was a long day!) But the supports were laying on the ground covered with a tarp. The "hole" where the ride sits was covered with metal decking.

ShannaLea
03-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Last year was the first year I rode Da Vinci's cradle.....I guess it was a good thing or I might not have been able to ride it at all!

BuschGardensfan
03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
i cant wait to go back to Busch Gardens this is my new all time home away from home. The park is awesoe and the new rdie looks grest

Jerry S
03-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Maybe they're installing a new ride and calling it DaVinci's Cradle. Let's hope it's a spinning swinger type ride, preferably a Mondial or Huss Giant.

bigbadwolf501
03-18-2005, 06:26 PM
they're not going to install a new ride w/ Curse of DarKastle opening. they're probably just doing regular repairs on DC.

DarKastleFreak
03-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Personally, I think they should keep DaVinci's Cradle. Either that or install a drop tower. I like the completely vertical drops.

DisGardeVersal
03-18-2005, 10:59 PM
No, BGW wouldn't want to mess up Da Vinci's Garden of Inventions, plus that area of the park is called just that, So they're probably not up to changing the ride, It's a great ride. They don't have much room to put in anything else, and I don't think a platform like that is made to hold a freefall. Plus they have another star classic right next to it. The Battering Ram, this Pirate Ship ride may not be inverted, but at one time during the ride you do get pushed up perpendicular to the ground, if not, further. Doing all this with simple lap bar restraints, They wouldn't want to change this part of the park, it is the never-to-be-touched-with part of the park.

bigbadwolf501
03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
if anyone went to the park today i have some questions
1. has DarKastle made any progress since last week?
2. was the new wolf & eagle habitat finished?
3. was the new LeMans Bistro open?
4. was DaVinci's Cradle back yet?

DisGardeVersal
03-19-2005, 09:41 PM
whoo, I just saw a DarKastle commercial, I didn't see all of it, I was just flipping through the channels and I saw "the eyes" with a white background and it said something like(can't remeber exactly I got to see the ending for literally only one second)
the only ride of its kind
coming to Busch Gardens 2005
And even better news I'm going tomorrow to enjoy the park, and check up on everything. So BBW501, I'll see if I can answer all your questions.

bigbadwolf501
03-19-2005, 09:58 PM
^thanks. i'm kinda anxious to get back to the park and see all this stuff. i won't be going till April 9th when Jack Hannah will be there.

rocketchk
03-20-2005, 03:11 AM
Bigbad, I wrote down your wish list and will be taking pictures tommorrow when I go for ya. If ANYONE else would like pictures of anything else in the park, please, please feel free to ask. It's no problem at all. I will post what I take tommorrow.

Jessica

pretzel-loop
03-20-2005, 07:48 AM
if anyone went to the park today i have some questions
1. has DarKastle made any progress since last week?
2. was the new wolf & eagle habitat finished?
3. was the new LeMans Bistro open?
4. was DaVinci's Cradle back yet?

I don't know if Curse of Darkastle has made any progress or not but the fence is still up. I did snap a few pictures. You can check them out here (http://www.sfafans.org/Curse%20of%20Darkastle/index.html).

The new wolf and eagle habitat appears finished. Lots of 8 foot iron fence with barbed wire to keep those wolves from having an Eagle Lunch :D

I believe the LeMans Bistro is open but I'm not putting hand on the bible and swearing to it.

DaVinici's Cradle isn't operating, they were working on it for a little bit but I never saw it operating.

hulkrider04
03-20-2005, 10:25 AM
^nice pics!

DisGardeVersal
03-20-2005, 09:35 PM
DaVinici's Cradle isn't operating, they were working on it for a little bit but I never saw it operating.

well, no wonder you didn't see it operating, people would be standing up holding on to nothing if they wanted to ride. All they had was the 4 ride arms put up, and the bottom "carpet" part of it put on, nothing else. no rope scenery was put up nothing.
Le Mans Bistro, if becoming a full fledged sit down restaurant looked no where near complete, I took a peek into the place through the window, there was nothing there just then that resembled like it could make or hold french cuisine.
I liked the new wolf habitat, but it's the old eagle habitat so it looks lke the eagles got shafted, unless if there using the other rather big area behind that for them.
DarKastle didnn't look like it had made much progress, and with that big wall in the way I couldn't see a thing. I tried to get a better view from all the good places, BBW 1st chain lift, Log Flume chain lift, Alpengeist chain lift, but I still couldn't see a thing. I really hope they do something with the back side of the building, because the front part of it looks awesome, the rest looks just like it did last year, and there is no transition between it either. It goes straight from stone to metal.
A couple new things, Pompeii had the bottom of the pool painted blue, so the water looks blue now. The Red Baron plane ride for kids, was moved to the old space of the remote control monster trucks. Which I think was a good investment, the monster trucks didn't fit in with germany, plus the monster trucks never ever, ever worked right. A new locker station by each of the coasters. And bad news, passports are horrible paper, which I hate. The park now has "guides" instead of maps, have to fold 'em yourself, so people won't get confused by which way to fold 'em anymore. And there was one more good thing, which has slipped my mind at the moment. Oh, wait it was a magnetic park schedule, that you could pick up at the passport office and a couple other places like that. It gives you the entire park schedule for the whole year, with an awesome animation of DarKastle and it's that perfect magnetic type for you to put right on your fridge.

BuschGardensfan
03-20-2005, 09:58 PM
um i have a question what is the candy shop in water country usa called

pretzel-loop
03-21-2005, 07:35 AM
well, no wonder you didn't see it operating, people would be standing up holding on to nothing if they wanted to ride. All they had was the 4 ride arms put up, and the bottom "carpet" part of it put on, nothing else. no rope scenery was put up nothing.

Well, I guess there was good reason for them to be working on it and the reason why it wasn't operationg. :rolleyes:

Le Mans Bistro, if becoming a full fledged sit down restaurant looked no where near complete, I took a peek into the place through the window, there was nothing there just then that resembled like it could make or hold french cuisine.

I saw the sign, didn't pay any particular attention to whether it was open or not. I guess I just thought it was open.

Jerry S
03-21-2005, 07:39 AM
It seems, after the last few new additions to BGW, that they really take their time, and don't reall mind if something in the park isn't open on opening day. It is weird that there are so many things that are so far behind though.

pretzel-loop
03-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Is it they aren't ready for opening day or is it the combination of opening day coming earlier and the advancement in technology ? BGW opened a week earlier this year than last (I believe). Not that it would mean the ride would have been ready but if you look at when opening day occurs today and when it came ten years ago then toss in the advanced technology behind the ride, is it feasible to exepct a ride to open when the parks opens for the new season?

BuschGardensfan
03-21-2005, 03:07 PM
hopefull everything will e done by the end of may

Jerry S
03-21-2005, 03:12 PM
pretzel-loop, Apollo's Chariot was B&M's first Hyper coaster. That's a lot of testing and safety checking and such. It opened on opening day of the park. There are other examples of fast built high technology, such as a B&M flyer, floorless, Intamin Hyper, and so fourth.

pretzel-loop
03-21-2005, 04:32 PM
meowcoaster, your point is?

bigbadwolf501
03-21-2005, 06:27 PM
parks dont need to have all the new attractions opened on opening day, especially if it's as early as march 19. if you notice all the big new rides opening this year are opening in either late April or May. another reason why they dont need them open right away is because the normal operating schedule dosent start until may and that is when they would make the most money off the ride.

DisGardeVersal
03-21-2005, 08:11 PM
is it feasible to exepct a ride to open when the parks opens for the new season?

For Busch Gardens Williamsburg, no, they take their time enjoying the creation and building of a ride. They don't try to hurry to rush to completion like some other parks I know cough, cough, cedar, cough, point. What did they do, rush built Dragster and caused me to have to go there three times before I could get on it. by horrible coincidence I was there just after the acccidents on the ride in both 03 and 04, and didn't get to ride it until my spontaneous weekend trip up there in september. My point is, why rush build a ride, if it could possibly hurt the ride's operating condition's in the long run. Busch hasn't had one horrible accident like that, except the Fabio incident, and that didn't have anything to do with AC's mechanical works. So I say, I give a big thumbs up to BGW for keeping their rides in great shape, no matter how long it takes for them to complete it.

plus meowcoaster, you might want to recheck the time that Apollo's Chariot opened.

StevenV
03-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Apollo's Chariot began testing as early as mid February. There was a "preview" day on either March 20 or 21. All I know is -- it was cold and raining.

Apollo's Chariot opened with the park on opening day on March 27, 1999.

Then, we all know what happed on that fateful day on March 30, 1999 don't we :D

Jerry S
03-23-2005, 08:34 PM
plus meowcoaster, you might want to recheck the time that Apollo's Chariot opened.

Like steven said, it opened when the park did. But of course, you are right, slow and steady wins the race.

DarKastleFreak
03-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Exactly! How could PKD hope to win with their Toomb Raider ride?

Cid
03-23-2005, 10:47 PM
For Busch Gardens Williamsburg, no, they take their time enjoying the creation and building of a ride. They don't try to hurry to rush to completion like some other parks I know cough, cough, cedar, cough, point. What did they do, rush built Dragster and caused me to have to go there three times before I could get on it. by horrible coincidence I was there just after the acccidents on the ride in both 03 and 04, and didn't get to ride it until my spontaneous weekend trip up there in september. My point is, why rush build a ride, if it could possibly hurt the ride's operating condition's in the long run. Busch hasn't had one horrible accident like that, except the Fabio incident, and that didn't have anything to do with AC's mechanical works. So I say, I give a big thumbs up to BGW for keeping their rides in great shape, no matter how long it takes for them to complete it.

I'd hardly call Dragster a rush job. They started construction at like the beginning-mid 2002 season.

I think a new attraction should open with the park. It just makes sense to me. If they know they need a long time for construction than they should start during the season before. (they very well might of. I havn't really followed the construction of darkcastle) My point is though, they should allow the time so they can have it ready opening day.

Side note: I went to BGW last weekend and had a freakin blast!!! I knew Darkcastle wouldn't be open, and I'm not really hyped about it that much (probably due to the fact I havn't really looked into it)

Anyways. I'd like to commend the Busch Gardens staff on a wonderful weekend trip (trip report coming soon probably)

DisGardeVersal
03-23-2005, 10:53 PM
BGW did start out on DarKastle the season before, before the park opened last year actually. They had to take out Wild Maus, or Wild Mouse or Wild Izzy, whatever you wanna call it, it doesn't really matter. My point, they started out taht year, and though nothing really showed up until June or July, that time in between they probably broke the ground, put in electrical connections, and all of that underground work.

robvia
03-24-2005, 08:35 AM
I agree that Busch is missing a major opportunity for press coverage by opening their new rides in May, instead of March. There is a coaster season, but to them, it doesn't seem to matter since BGT is open year around. Just imagine if Sheikra and Dark were open right now. Instead they're going to open the new rides while all the parks up north are open. Sure, they'll get some press, but they could have had the spot light to themselves for a few months had they started sooner.

jman8934
03-28-2005, 01:20 AM
I read a while back that busch gardens actually planned to open this ride last season(04) but couldn't get the permits because of the bureaucracy of James City co. This is plain Busch gardens style, don't tell anyone anything. I still haven't gotten there this year, but I just started spring break so a few visits may be coming in the next few days.

Alpengurl
03-28-2005, 12:59 PM
I think it's cool that BGW is opening the ride in May.. .I mean really if you think about it.. right now it's too cold for a lot of peeps to regulary come to the park. In may.. all the college and some of the high school kids would be out of school.. and there will be a lot more people able to ride the ride instead of being like.. "school.. or DarKastle.. school... or DarKastle.."

though.. a disclaimer.. i dunno the real reason why it's opening in May.. that's just my guesses as a BGW fan..

jman8934
03-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Going tomorrow!!!!:)

Dar Kastle free:sadface:

DisGardeVersal
03-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Ahh, If anyone reads this in time, in a little while, LNC news, channel 5 where I am, is doing a report on DarKastle.

StevenV
03-30-2005, 06:34 AM
I read a while back that busch gardens actually planned to open this ride last season(04) but couldn't get the permits because of the bureaucracy of James City co. This is plain Busch gardens style, don't tell anyone anything. I still haven't gotten there this year, but I just started spring break so a few visits may be coming in the next few days.

No, it is not Busch Garden's style. I did not see anything stating about permits -- Probably was in the "Daily Press" newspaper not "Virginia Pilot" paper ( which I get every morning).

You may be correct about the bureaucracy of James-City County, though. BGW has to deal with Kingsmill, other home owners, and not to mention those dreaded fascists -- the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. I bet that they have deep animosity towards BGW after AC was built.

There is an article at the "Daily Press" newspaper's website about DK dated 03-30-2005.

Weird isn't it. Today is the 6th anniversary of the "goosing" of Fabio.

DaBGWFreak
03-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Check out this link for the hard hat tour of DarKastle
DarKastle (http://coastershow.rctcompetition.com/SPECIAL-DARKASTLE%20CONSTRUCTION%20TOUR%20REPORT%21.wmv)

(Its amazing)

hulkrider04
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Video was crazy!! This ride looks sweet.

jman8934
03-30-2005, 05:30 PM
I meant that it is busch gardens style to not tell anyone anything about the ride, or to tell as little as possible, not to handle the city well, sorry i didn't say that right.

bigbadwolf501
04-02-2005, 12:23 PM
i went to the park on thursday and DarKastle looks great! i hope that they do something w/ the back of the building instead of just leaving it to look like a warehouse. does anyone know if they will theme the rest of the building? DaVinci's Cradle still wasnt open but they had the whole ride up. they had people working on it and it looked like they were working on the seats and lap bars so the ride should be open soon. all the coasters were running 3 trains and the staff was doing a great job of getting them out of the station quickly. it was a little chilly out but wasnt unbearable. there still are not any wolves in the new wolf habitat. does anyone know when they're suppose to be in there? anyways i had a great time and i can't wait for DarKastle to open!!!

Alpengurl
04-04-2005, 12:25 AM
dunno if they will theme the whole building.. but i doubt it'll be worried about come opening.. they might just paint over it like pompeii.

the wolves will be in the habitat prolly when the trainers believe they've properly adapted to it..remember.. the eagles prolly didn't mind being in a corner since they can't fly anyways... but the wolves are adjusting from just being on stage to being in full view while the park is open.. remember.. these are wild animals..

DarKastleFreak
04-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Where is the new wolf habitat anyway? I didn't spend muchtim in Ireland when we went last Tuesday, and I didn't notice anything new.
I took a bunch of pictures of DarKastle, and I'll post them when I get around to it.

pretzel-loop
04-04-2005, 09:21 AM
The new wolf habitat was carved out of the old Eagle Habitat.

bigbadwolf501
04-05-2005, 05:27 PM
okay the park had a press release today saying that DarKastle will open May 1st!!! you can see it at their official website under the for the press section and click on press releases

DarKastleFreak
04-05-2005, 06:56 PM
After a little research, I found three King Ludwigs of Bavaria. The only one about whom I could anything worthwhile was King Ludwig II. Read this:
Born in Nymphenburg Castle, Munich, in 1845, Ludwig II. was a member of the Wittelsbach dynasty, and became king of Bavaria at the age of 18. Disillusioned after a lost war with the Prussians, Ludwig lost all interest in politics and became increasingly eccentric.

He loved the theater and music, especially Richard Wagner's operas. He built three castles - Linderhof, Neuschwanstein and Herrenchiemsee - at stupendous expense. Linderhof, the only one to be completed, was the king's favourite. Louis XIV became Ludwig's inspiration: his dream of absolute rule. But his extravagance, homosexuality and near or actual insanity worried the Bavarian government. Ludwig was certified insane in his bedroom at Neuschwanstein and, a few days later, on 13 June 1886 he and his physician were found drowned in the Lake Starnberg (Starnberger See). It has never been ascertained whether this was an accident or an assassination.

I also found this:
Ludwig II was possessed by the idea of a holy kingdom by the Grace of God. In reality he was a constitutional monarch, a head of state with rights and duties and little freedom of action. For this reason he built a fantasy world around him in which – far removed from reality – he could feel he was a real king. From 1875 on he lived at night and slept during the day.

Idealized designs by scene painters for a "New Hohenschwangau Castle" high above the tranquil Hohenschwangau of Ludwig II's father, a "Byzantine Palace" and a copy of Versailles were already in existence by 1868. From the beginning, Ludwig's fantasy world embraced several different epochs. The "New Castle" (subsequently Neuschwanstein), was based on Christian kingship in the Middle Ages, and the new Versailles, built from 1878 on the Herreninsel, recalls the baroque absolutism of the Bourbon King of France. Linderhof in the Graswangtal, built from 1869, imitates a variety of styles, with the help of the latest technology.

The latest technology was also used for the highly elaborate coaches and sleighs in which the king travelled at night, sometimes in historic costume.

Ludwig spent more and more time in the mountains and correspondingly less time in Munich. His fantasy world was further maintained by "private performances" in the Hoftheater: operas and plays performed for the king alone.

Wow. He was quite a character. That's just the most interesting stuff I found. I particularly found the bit about the most advanced technology used in his golden sleighs ironic. :-)
I couldn't find anything associating him with wolves though.

hulkrider04
04-06-2005, 05:14 PM
http://www.screamscape.com/assets/images/icon_STOP63.gif2005 - Curse of DarKastle - (4/6/05) The park has announced (http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/va/ftp_press_releases_details.aspx?pr_num=748) that the new DarKastle mega attraction will be ready to open on May 1st. They claim that the technology involved in this ride is so new, they couldn’t have achieved it 3-5 years ago. In DarKastle you will travel along 1000 feet of track, through 11 eerie chambers on a journey where you might not make it out. The ride’s 3D imagery will also be digitally projected to tell the story of the legendary King Ludwig of Bavaria.
FROM SCREAMSCAPE

DarKastleFreak
04-06-2005, 08:29 PM
OMG!!!! BGW just posted another video online!!! It's their version of the hardhat tour. It looks so cool!!!!! It looks like at one point you will go into the huge fire place. I can't wait!!!!

Khartoum
04-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Yeah I just finished watching the video then, It's looking sexy as!! I can't wait to see what the whole story line of the ride is all about and how they are gonna execute it!

hulkrider04
04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Those trees w/ the blue look really cool!

bigbadwolf501
04-09-2005, 06:27 PM
i just got back from the park. i went to the breakfast w/ jack hannah thing. the food was really good and he was very informitive abot the animals. it was fun. the general manager of the park was there but did not get a chance to talk to him. DarKastle is coming along great. they've started work on the arch thingy that connects the tower to the rest of the building. also they had wolves put into the new wolf habitat. DaVinci's Cradle was testing w/ dummies so it should be open by next weekend. otherwise not much else is going on. i had a great time. another thing i noticed is that when DC was testing it was a whole lot quieter than it used to be.

jman8934
04-11-2005, 09:05 PM
does anybody know what happened to DaVinci's cradle(why it hasn't been open)?

New Restraints?

New Something?

Old Problem?

DisGardeVersal
04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
DC may have had an old problem, which is linked to new lap bars. Whenever the ride operated, before it started they always had to say a disclaimer stating "Do not raise your hands, or the ride will not continue." And of course, some idiot would raise his hands the moment the ride started, and someone would join them until it spread into a little area around them. My guess is, if anything they're probably giving each individual they're own lap bar, so they can raise their hands and they won't have to stop the ride if hands go up. I also was there on saturday, I didn't get a good look at the seats or the lap bars, I could only see a little bit of each lap bar coming out of the ride vehicle, but it looked different, very different, shiny, special, perfectly in line lap bars.

jman8934
04-11-2005, 09:54 PM
i've always found the restraints to suck...Painful when you get with the really old/really young person who felt it necessary to push it down as far as possible. I think new restraints would make that ride much better, maybe even like AC style. The no hands up rule always bored me. I didn't look either of the days i've been there, but i did notice like 10 workers watching one guy hammer and found that kinda funny.

While we all wait for DarKastle whats everyones favorite current ride? And do you think DarKastle will be better?

Personally i find myself being fickle inbetween AC and ALP. One day i go and i like one, the next time the other. And there is no chance DarKastle will be better, but by no means am i not excited to have another thing to do. Those rainy day marathon coaster runs always need a 10 second pause here and there(ie bathroom), which darKastle is conveniently located to the one in the FestHaus. lol...

Instead of reading all that, I am glad to have something new, but still will keep my old friends(and probably like them better).

DarKastleFreak
04-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the coasters, but my favorites are Corkscrew Hill, Escape From Pompeii, and DaVinci's Cradle. I'm convinced DarKastle will be better than at least two of these.

Wes
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I finally got around to looking at the construction video. Those rooms look sweet!

Can't wait to ride this some time next year.

bigbadwolf501
04-12-2005, 05:55 PM
i also find myself trying to choose between alpie and apollo. loch ness and big bad wolf are still great rides and run amazingly well for their age. although they are older they still have a great thrill to them and are rides any park should want to have. you have to admit though that alpie and apollo are better. i think darkastle will be one of the greatest additions to the park but i will probably still like the coasters better. one thing that i love about this park is that they try to have a little bit of everything. for instance they have four coasters that are extremly different from each other, water rides, a simulator, several flat rides, kiddie rides, shows, great restaurants, animal exhibits, and now a new dark ride. they are definately one of the most complete parks. anyways i think darkastle is gonna rock and be one of the best rides in the park!

jman8934
04-12-2005, 08:18 PM
i agree with bigbadwolf, ln and bbw have a certain classicness to them that make them fun. And the huge spectrum of rides they have is great.

i agree with DarKastleFreak...It'll be a great addition to the park and that it'll be better than two of the three, but i must say i liked Escape from Pompeii before things broke down(ie the statue is always down now, the doors are always open, no music on chain lift any more(i thouroly enjoy the song that used to play there which was actually The Montagues and The Capulets by Prokofiev or something like that[i'm not that weird I've played it in my school orchestra]) etc.), i liked corkscrew hill when it was new but now i get sick of Old McTavish's voice and his "Mystic Chamber". DaVinci's Cradle=great.

DarKastleFreak
04-12-2005, 11:00 PM
I'll give you two out of your three complaints on Pompeii. The doors are always open and there is no music on the lift, but I went onit about three weeks ago and the statue was falling down fine. (Even if it was a few seconds late for the crash sound effect.)

jman8934
04-12-2005, 11:31 PM
well maybe it was only broken the one day i went on it, i've found that every time i go on it that somthing different isn't working, be it the statue, be it the wood posts at the beginning, BUT the fire has never not worked when i've gone on it:-).

DisGardeVersal
04-13-2005, 07:50 PM
The Doors are very annoying on that ride, sometimes they work, others not, I've actually found they are closed during the no-tourist season, and stay open during the high-tourist season. The fire just as you said always works, the wood posts, have worked right every time I've been on it. And the statue was awesome when the ride opened....
....not anymore, the statue is always way too early, not even the front of the boat is in the room, and it's already down, and the sound effect is delayed because of that, It just ticks me off horribly, it's not hard to fix. Send a cast member through once or twice at the end or beginning of the day, and have him/her tell someone it needs to slow down however so much.

bigbadwolf501
04-13-2005, 08:08 PM
whenever i rode it last season the doors were closed but i guess its just out of luck if they are. i'll have to wait for it to get a little warmer to ride it again. i'm not a very big fan of water rides in 50-60 degree weather. i do wish they would fix these small problems like the doors and the statue because it would make the ride a little more exciting. anyways its still fun. 18 days until DarKastle opens!!!

jman8934
04-13-2005, 08:14 PM
in the mean time you can play the game me and my friends play, Guess what is actually working and place bets on it. Always fun.

As is the pennies on the floor on Davinci's Cradle and try to step on them as they go back and forth. I wonder if they are doing something to stop this, i hope not...And no we are not the only people who do this btw. And we apologize if you find it annoying.:-D

DarKastleFreak
04-13-2005, 10:38 PM
The Doors are very annoying on that ride, sometimes they work, others not, I've actually found they are closed during the no-tourist season, and stay open during the high-tourist season. The fire just as you said always works, the wood posts, have worked right every time I've been on it. And the statue was awesome when the ride opened....
....not anymore, the statue is always way too early, not even the front of the boat is in the room, and it's already down, and the sound effect is delayed because of that, It just ticks me off horribly, it's not hard to fix. Send a cast member through once or twice at the end or beginning of the day, and have him/her tell someone it needs to slow down however so much.

I've been on once with my dad and the lights at the begining swang, the statue fell, the doors opened, but nothing else worked. It was basically a ride through the dark. There was no fire and the posts didn't work. The interesting thing was to listen to the soundtrack with the fire and the crashes.

DisGardeVersal
04-13-2005, 10:41 PM
I remember the lights in the first room used to fly when it first opened, now, just one of them moves, and barely at all.

DarKastleFreak
04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
I hope BGW doesn't allow DarKastle to deteriorate like they're letting Pompeii. (Even though it's still a good ride)

jman8934
04-14-2005, 07:23 PM
i don't think they will, at this point they seem to proud of it...ie all the talk like "3-5 years ago we couldn't have done this" etc.

Apollo's Chariot
04-14-2005, 11:35 PM
"3-5 years ago we couldn't have done this"
They couldn't but IOA did :D

DisGardeVersal
04-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I want to say something there, something horrible. But I am holding myself back.

jman8934
04-15-2005, 11:42 PM
haha, well maybe it'll have something better than spiderman, or maybe not. Whatever, in the end lets just hope the ride doesn't get bad as time goes by.

bigbadwolf501
04-16-2005, 12:18 PM
http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_gx.asp?cpx=-76.63854999180567&cpy=37.23104117816012&res=8&provider_id=305&t=pan
check out this aerial pic of BGW. you can't really see great details but you can see big stuff like the parking lots, festhaus, brewery, and employee parking lot which is behind the park. you can kinda see darkastle. it's the small looking building next to the bigger building which is the festhaus. you can sorta see the rhine river bridge and train bridge. also if you look closely you can see Apollo's helix. you can also point out the field where drachen fire used to be. one thing i find astonishing is that they own that whole lake and from the looks of this picture they've only used up about half of the land the park is on. this means they have tons of room for expansion. i never really knew the park was that big until i saw this picture. and to think that the park is already big now, think of what it will be like in 50 years when they've developed all that land. i think there will be a lot of promising things coming down the road. anways, enjoy the pic!

StevenV
04-18-2005, 09:56 AM
DK looks even bigger - almost as big as the entire Festhaus building on ImageAtlas.Globexplorer.com's website. You have to subscribe to either one just to get a better picture/watermark-less image. But, Drachen fire is definately a little close to Kingsmill --

As for the rest of the land -- ravine city! straight to the lake.

DisGardeVersal
04-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I just saw one of BGW's DarKastle commercials it looked sweet! That's right, they're finally doing individual advertising for the ride. It was pretty sweet, there was this kid, in a tent with his two friends, I'm guessing spending a night in the backyard. And he was telling his friends this ghost story, never really revealing what it was, but whenever he talked about something, something new or scary popped up outside the tent, until his flashlight went out, where they did a zoom out camera shot of the animated Castle, and showed the kid being flown through a part of the ride. I can't believe we only have 12 days til this thing is revealed!

bigbadwolf501
04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
what did the parts of the ride the kid flew through look like?

DisGardeVersal
04-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Ah, that would be the commercial advertising to get you into the park, wouldn't it. Went by so fast it was all just a big blue blur.

bigbadwolf501
04-19-2005, 10:06 PM
i just saw the commercial. it does a great job of making you want to go ride and see what the "curse" is.

DisGardeVersal
04-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Yah, I think if I see it again I might die of having to wait, which is a real curse created by creation of the falseness of a fake curse.

DarKastleFreak
04-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm feeling cursed myself. I havn't seen it at all.

DisGardeVersal
04-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Anyone here know if BGW sells a cd of their songs? I have just grown up on the music of the park, and have a hard time living without it. Anyone know if they sell it or where I might find some of the park's music?

dcs221
04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
One of the songs is Spring from Vivaldi. I too like the music they have there. I haven't heard it since I was 14 or something, but from age 10 or so to 14 I heard those songs every other weekend during the season when school was in, and about once or twice a week during the summer. I doubt they have a CD with the songs, but I'm sure you could find most online.

Khartoum
04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
That Curse of DarKastle advertisement sounds awesome as! Anyone know if theirs a website where you are able to view it?

bigbadwolf501
04-21-2005, 07:09 PM
i was just wondering if anybody else noticed that the names for both rides opening at BGW and BGT both have capital K's in them. Curse of DarKastle and SheiKra. i wonder if they did that on purpose or if it's just the way they wanted the titile to look?

DisGardeVersal
04-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Very interesting, it's probably just for the title but who knows, they may be planning for something within years to come.

Jerry S
04-21-2005, 09:23 PM
yea, they have two Ks now just like Gadv with KK. Or maybe a Seaworld wil lget a ride with a capital K, and Anheuser Bush will be shutdown for antisemitism and racism.

DisGardeVersal
04-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Ever hear of Kraken?

Jerry S
04-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh Noes!!!11!!!!11

bigbadwolf501
04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
OMG!!! i just got in the mail two complimentary tickets for the VIP party and preview on April 29!!!! i'm so excited! it said that i will be able to get multiple rides on CoDK! i can't wait till next friday! i'll try to have a review of it when i come back

DarKastleFreak
04-22-2005, 05:04 PM
OMG!!!!!! What did you do to get them????? I'm going May 1.

bigbadwolf501
04-22-2005, 06:06 PM
i entered into the Busch Gardens/Sierra Mist Sweepstakes. they put these stickers on all 12- pack pepsi products that told you how to enter the sweepstakes. it said they will choose 250 people to come and be on of the first people to ride Curse of DarKastle. you also attend a private VIP party and receive a pepsi prize pack. evry person that wins gets to bring someone with them. the sweepstakes ended last weekend. the only info you had to give them was your name, address, and phone number. anyways, i'm sooooo excited!!!! 7 days till i ride Curse of DarKastle!!!!

hulkrider04
04-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Congrats, hope you have fun

bigbadwolf501
04-22-2005, 06:39 PM
the only bad thing is that its a school day so i won't get there until later in the afternoon. also i already have a season pass and they're giving me two free tickets to go but they're only valid on April 29 and i have to use them for the party so i won't be able to use them later to take friends or something.

cwmsladym
04-23-2005, 02:50 AM
DarKastle sounds great and from what I have seen looks to be an awesome ride! I will be at BGW May 6-8 so I will definately be riding it..more than once..:)

DisGardeVersal
04-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I can see how important this ride will be for BGW. I bet it'll have about the same effect on you as tot at mgm studios, having a building, and then the ride actually having to do with the events that once, and are happening inside the building.

Jerry S
04-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I wonder when I'll get to ride this ride. I went to PKD last summer, so this summer I will try to get to BGW. When are the best days to go? I'm pretty sure it's Tuesday, as that's the best day I've gone. Let's see if I can convince my dad to take me.

hulkrider04
04-25-2005, 04:12 PM
My mom said we could go only if we did the historical junk.

bigbadwolf501
04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
4 Days Til Preview Night!!! I Can't Wait!!!!

HPStormRunner22
04-25-2005, 05:46 PM
My mom said we could go only if we did the historical junk.

That "junk" is actually extremely interesting. Being able to see the historic buildings and see what it was like to live back then makes us realize how easy we have it today. It is a lot of fun exploring Colonial Williamsburg. I would reccomend you go.

hulkrider04
04-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey, i'd rather be riding CODK and AC than looking at history.

DisGardeVersal
04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Well Duh. I think we'd all go for CoDK and AC, as well as LNM, and Alpie, and BBW. But just think, without a good starting point from history, this whole world of coasters and thrill rides as we know it, might not exist.

ErioL
04-25-2005, 06:54 PM
My mom said we could go only if we did the historical junk. Colonial Williamsburg is one of the prettiest places I've ever been to. Call it junk again and I'll come to Jersey and pop you.

hulkrider04
04-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Up close pics
http://www.screamscape.com/html/bgw_-_darkastle_0.htm
http://www.screamscape.com/html/bgw_-_darkastle_1.htm

DarKastleFreak
04-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Cool pics! Thanks for drawing my attention to them. I can't wait to go Sunday!!!!!!!http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/images/icons/icon10.gif

cannonballer
04-28-2005, 08:46 AM
My mom said we could go only if we did the historical junk. thats funny I am going to visit BGW BECAUSE i will be there anyways visiting that "junk". I love history and if BGW wasnt near somthing else cool and different I wouldnt go prolly. I visit parks while I am on trips visiting other things too. that way I dont get coaster burnout!

Carowinds 73-03
04-28-2005, 02:38 PM
The ride looks great. I noticed those pics on screamscape yesterday.

likeminded
04-28-2005, 02:41 PM
You know, sometimes my roomate gets to eat a really good meal, like spicy grilled porkchops or jambalaya (sp?) When he gets to eat this, he invariably makes a remark about how it is "better" than other dishes, such as the mac-'n-cheese with smoky sausage links that I sometimes make (declared to be the epitome of "bachelor" food.) I always remind him that "better" is a difficult term to classify. What I mean is, just because one thing has a greater appeal overall doesn't mean the other thing can't be very enjoyable, as well. Imagine if he had to eat porkchops or jambalaya every night. It would get old and then he would probably wish he could have mac-'n-cheese w/ smokies just one more time.

My point is this. Just because BG may have more "thrill" value than Colonial Williamsburg doesn't mean they can't both be incredibly enjoyable. If you had to ride roller coasters or CoDK every day or whatever, you would likely grow weary of it.

I think you should change your attitude. Go to Colonial Williamsburg and absorb the history all around you (while educational, it can be very entertaining in its' own right) in the reenactments, uniforms, landmarks, etc. And then enjoy a day or two at Busch Gardens and realize that you made the most of your trip by taking advantage of all the great stuff Williamsburg, VA has to offer!

Like having spicy grilled pork chops one night and mac-'n-cheese the other, variety is truly the spice of life!

cannonballer
04-28-2005, 02:47 PM
you are right...
thats what I am plannning on doing, bgw, then water country then colonial W. then the beach where we will go to zoos, aquariums, camp on the beach etc.

bigbadwolf501
04-28-2005, 06:12 PM
williamsburg is such a beautiful area and colonial williamsburg really captures the history of this nation. its a place anyone would enjoy and is something not to be missed. tomorrow's the big day!!!! i get to ride CURSE OF DARKASTLE!!!

FLCC Josh
04-28-2005, 07:37 PM
So lemme' get this straight.....I can go to Colonial Williamsburg, get Lil' Smokies, Pork Chops AND Macaroni & Cheese....PLUS ride coasters!

Man, that place sounds great..where do I sign up! :rolleyes:

cannonballer
04-29-2005, 08:23 AM
at the cool as hell recuritment office in williamsburg. ;)

We will be camping the first 4 mights in surry and riding the ferry to williamsburg then we will camp at first landing state park for the beach stuff.

I am excited about riding a ferry, does that make me odd?

Jerry S
04-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Yes.

Yes it does. Seek mental help immediatly, and get on a strong sedative ASAP.

Right. When does this open for the GP?

cannonballer
04-29-2005, 09:29 AM
no
i cannot do that they will put me back in the white room. I dont like it there. they dont have rides just cushy walls and a tight jacket. though the electro shock therapy is kinda fun.

cwmsladym
04-29-2005, 02:10 PM
williamsburg is such a beautiful area and colonial williamsburg really captures the history of this nation. its a place anyone would enjoy and is something not to be missed. tomorrow's the big day!!!! i get to ride CURSE OF DARKASTLE!!!

Lucky You! I have to wait til next Friday..lol...but the wait will be WELL worth it!

cannonballer
04-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Lucky You! I have to wait til next Friday..lol...but the wait will be WELL worth it!

hey how long do you think the line will be after a month after they open it? are the lines long to new rides there?

DisGardeVersal
04-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Wow. BGW has let out a press release this late on the ride, sounds simply amazing with really awesome real life effects, Shattering ice is among them. 12 screens, including teh pre show. 9 create 3-d imaging, and well, you can read about it yourself.

http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/va/ftp_pressreleases_details.aspx?pr_num=751

This just keeps getting better and better.

Carowinds 73-03
04-29-2005, 10:40 PM
The link does not work.

DisGardeVersal
04-29-2005, 10:53 PM
oh darn...

http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/va/ftp_press_releases_details.aspx?pr_num=751

that should work

Carowinds 73-03
04-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Much better. Thanks, that makes it sound a lot more intresting.

bigbadwolf501
04-29-2005, 11:29 PM
i just got back from BGW. i'll write more tomorrow because i'm tired. the ride was fun but not as thrilling as i thought it would be. the reason for that is because it broke down at one of the big special effect parts and one of the 3-D screens weren't working. i should be thankful to have even ridden it becuase it broke down for the rest of the night. they let me stay on for a second time but it broke down in the exact same spot. of course though tonight was a rehearsal so i think the ride will be awesome when it's all working. it's things they should have fixed by sunday. the theming was awesome and i think this will be one of the best rides there when it works properly. i'm not going to completely judge this ride now because some stuff wasn't working. you can't blame the park for that, it is a new ride. again it was awesome of what i saw of it. i just can't wait to ride it again and see what everything is like. i'll write more about the details tomorrow.

hulkrider04
04-30-2005, 07:53 AM
^That sucks, was it better than spidy?

Montu Man
04-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Wait wait wait, there's only 8 people per vehicle? I just noticed that. Spiderman has 16. 850 guests per hour isn't that high (which is what it gets, check out the media video at xtreme coasters, it's cool). And some people didn't seem to be like WOW! like on Spiderman (I just rode Spiderman for the billionth time yesterday, so I clearly remember how some people were like OMG! through the ride). Once they get this thing running good though, it should be pretty cool. Hopefully...

bigbadwolf501
04-30-2005, 01:34 PM
i can't compare it to spiderman because i've never ridden it. this ride is awesome even if it broke down. the queue line is really cool because it looks like the entrance to a real castle. it has statues, a courtyard w/ lots of flowers, and it was just really pretty. when the queue goes inside they have the big chandeliers hanging with all the candles. after that they take a certain number of people into the room for the pre-show. the pre-show is not 3-D but it has a good story line that prepares you for the ride. then a wall rises up and you get ready to get on. you go through another little part of a queue line to get your 3-D glasses. the loading was very efficient w/ the ride attendants asking how many people were in a group to get as many people as they could in one vehicle. the line moved pretty fast. they have two lines because the station can hold two cars at one time. the sides of the car are very high up so you can't see anything except of what's in front of you. the car starts moving and you take a left hand turn and enter the castle. some of the special effects include getting caught up in a whirlwind, falling backwards down a piral staircase, going through a blazing fireplace, which i did not get to experience because that is where the ride broke down both times, after the fireplace it gets really cold and they spin around really fast about 3 times in arow, then the screen after that was not working so i don't know what happened at that part, then of course there is the drop which dosen't really feel like much. maybe as the season goes on the park will get these things working regularly. i hope for the drop that they do a little more w/ the movement of the car because it did not feel as big or scary as they've been saying. hopefully that was just becasue this was it's first time operating w/ people. overall this is a great ride and i think it will be one of the best rides at the park. also, DaVinci's Cradle was open and i got to ride it. they still have the single lap bar but the ride is a whole lot smoother than it used to be. anyways i just hope busch gets darkastle working right. another thing, this ride has the best theming i have ever seen at a theme park. everything looks and feels so real.:)

cwmsladym
04-30-2005, 02:20 PM
hey how long do you think the line will be after a month after they open it? are the lines long to new rides there?

Well, being as I have never had to wait more than 20-25 minutes ever for a ride there, I am hoping the line won't be too awful long. Last time I went they had just opened Ireland and Corkscrew Hill and the line was long but moved quickly so i would say the longest I waited was about 20-25 minutes. One good thing about BGW.. they build their rides to have great capacity and if they have say 3 trains for a coaster, they will run all 3 just so the lines aren't horrendous. However, different rides, attract different size crowds..but being BGW..I dont think it will be too bad..:)

Aw, too bad it wasnt working all together when you rode BigBadWolf.. I certainly hope it will be in tip top shape next Friday when its MY TURN...lol.. Im making a beeline straight to it as soon as I get in the park. Wasnt someone sayign though that the park opens at 10am but Oktoberfest doesn't open til 11? No matter, i will be at that gate..LOL!

DarKastleFreak
04-30-2005, 04:38 PM
I said earlier that Oktoberfest doesn't open until 11:00, but that was in October. I'll figure out the time and post it during the next week for you. I'm going Sunday!!!!!!!!

cwmsladym
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I said earlier that Oktoberfest doesn't open until 11:00, but that was in October. I'll figure out the time and post it during the next week for you. I'm going Sunday!!!!!!!!

Oh cool! have fun! And thanks..:) I can't wait to go either!!!!

5 more days til I leave for Williamsbuirg!

hulkrider04
04-30-2005, 07:09 PM
^Hopefuly it will be running fine for you.

Montu Man
04-30-2005, 08:18 PM
There's a POV at TPI (themeparkinsider.com). It kinda seems dissapointing. It doesn't seem to have the thrills of Spiderman, awesome music, and a sky high chase. There's also no real explosions, like the fireball affect on Spiderman. It just seems dissapointing from the video, and it seems to go by too fast, sort of like Revenge of the Mummy. Oh well, I'll get on this one day and be able to make real comparisons.

If you want to see a Spiderman POV, I think there might be one at nogodforme.com. A member on here runs the site, might be Bruns.

I just looked at the newest Spiderman POV, and the lighting is bad, you can barely see the screens and you can't see the theming at all. Don't use that if you're going to compare them.

DarKastleFreak
05-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Blech. I'm leaving for BGW in 45 minutes and it's raining. Well at least this may scare away a few people to make the lines shorter.

HPStormRunner22
05-01-2005, 07:57 AM
^ Looks like there is more rain ahead for you today too. Well the lines will be shorter. Have fun and prepare for the rain. There should be a few breaks in the rain where you can get on coasters. Have fun and I hope the rain doesn't spoil the day.

bigbadwolf501
05-01-2005, 01:44 PM
to me DarKastle was awesome even if it broke down. everything about it was great. i especially liked falling down the stairs. i also think the theme will be better than spiderman's.

DisGardeVersal
05-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Ok. I guess I'll just share my experience of the ride. I got to the park at 10:30 this morning jumped right into the line for Curse Of DarKastle, which extended into the german village just past the bridge over the log flume to get to alpengeist. And as I just walked in, it broke down for the first time(that I know of) it came back up, and down, back up, then down. continually for 4 times altogether in my waiting experience. I waited for three hours total, including the breakdowns, to get on DarKastle. When I got on, everything seemed to be working great, except the fireplace didn't really work, and it was tremendously obvious, and the press release said something about shattered ice. I don't know what that's all about because that too didn't work. But all the screens seemed to work nicely, and other than that I thought the ride was pretty awesome, It didn't truly live up to my expectations but it came oh so close. Anyways once again the queue lasted 3 hours and within that time they passed out free aquafina in the line, to prevent people from getting dehydrated, and while I was close to getting in, just next to the last final loop, I got a thin card saying that for waitng for the ride, and being so patient and cooperative, blah blah blah, that I could get 30% off all stuff in the park, excluding tobacco, alcohol, and games, for the whole day, but just that day. And I went crazy with that card. I thought the theiming was really amazing, it was a job well done, as you walk into the outside of the castle, technically in the real line but outside the castle there is a nice little garden you walk through, and I heard that they're gonna let all the shrubs and plants in that area grow until it basically becomes a hedge maze. Pretty cool stuff. Once again I thought the ride was cool, literally, It was freezing inside that castle, so much that they didn't allow in the free water I had gotten outside, It could freeze, expand and then the thing could burst and that wouldn't be cool. Well it would, but you understand. I think it's about time I wrapped things up, and to close it off, I thought the ride was great.

Montu Man
05-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I've read many reviews, and many have said it's not on par with Spiderman... *sigh*

jman8934
05-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I had an epiphany that this will only add to the fact that busch garden's rides are relaxing to me now, not adrenaline pumping:-(. I went to sfog the other day and really re-remembered how it is to go on a ride for a first time. The first ride is far superior to the 100th ride no matter how good it is. They need to make more rides like Tower Of Terror that have some kinda variable in them to keep it interesting, not sure what this would be but it would be sweet.

DarKastleFreak
05-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I think BGW should add an LIM launch coaster, vertical drop ride, or flying coaster next. They have room in Drachen Fire's footprint for something big.

Here are the opening times posted on my map from Sunday:
Curse of DarKastle is open at 9:30
England opens at 9:00
Scotland, Ireland, France, New France, and Germany open at 9:30
Oktoberfest, Italy, and Festa Italia open at 10:

I put my review of the ride on the DarKastle thread. http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?p=573835

Leo C
05-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Whoa! I just saw an commercial for DarKastle here in the Philly area. Looks deep.

James
05-02-2005, 01:26 AM
I have also seen the TV add for the ride.
After seeing the POV on TPI it looks like this ride is better the spiderman. It wont get me to go back to the park. But it does look like a nice ride.

Khartoum
05-02-2005, 03:42 AM
I just watched the POV then and from that it seems like it's a really great ride technically but it just seems to be lacking a bit of thrill factor...that's mostly because I am viewing it through a screen and I'm not actually there on the ride, but it still seems like a pretty mad ride.

hulkrider04
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
This forum should be closed because it has opened therefor it is not in construction. http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?p=573740#post573740

robvia
05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Seems like a Disney ride if you ask me. When the characters pop up, start dancing, and the orchestra music play, I'm thinking Haunted House right there.
The differance is, in DK you're just trying to escape, so there's no real story line. In Spiderman, it's good vs evil, and the good guy wins at the end.
The music is what's holding it back. It's orchestra music, where as Spiderman has the theme song rockin with guitars.
You come to the end of Spiderman and you're like Wow, that was cool. It seems like DK just ends, same as a Disney ride.

ErioL
05-03-2005, 08:28 AM
I think BGW should add an LIM launch coaster, vertical drop ride, or flying coaster next. They have room in Drachen Fire's footprint for something big. I don't like the idea of a LIM coaster or any kind of launch coaster at BGW. It just doesn't seem to "fit" as I see it. I do hope that they have a BIG coaster in the works though for the next 1-2 years.

ShannaLea
05-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi all! We decided to document our DarKastle opening day experience with pictures. If any of you are interested, I made a webpage regarding our whole experience. Please also be patient the page has 50 pictures and will be slow to load.

You may access it here:
http://darkastle.freewebpage.org/index.html

Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

hulkrider04
05-03-2005, 03:03 PM
The link is not working.

coasterdude28
05-03-2005, 03:05 PM
The link did not work for me either but I am anxious to see some more pictures.

ShannaLea
05-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Ahhhh.... sorry all the free site I was using has reached it's limit on bandwith and the page isn't accessable until tomorrow. Anyone have any hosting ideas that I can use with more bandwith than the following?

- Hourly: 12 mb per hour
- Daily: 19.8 mb per day
- Monthly: 600 mb

I knew it wasn't much but I certainly didn't think it'd run out this quickly!

(of course, donations are happily accepted! <wink>)

robvia
05-04-2005, 05:58 AM
I used to have a free site too, but got tired of the hassles and got hosting with www.serverseed.com
It's the best thing I could have done. Now I have all the space I need to host my roller coaster videos.

You can use my uploader for your pictures, link to them, and then your page will work.

http://www.nogodforme.com/uploader/index.php

Put your pictures in the default directory, which is coasters. When you do, the uploader will give you links back. Or you can browse the directory. Then change your web page to point to the links and you won't run out of bandwidth.

If your page is picked up by Screamscape, you'll use up gigs of bandwidth. That's why you need your own hosting by Serverseed if you want to make web pages.

ShannaLea
05-04-2005, 06:53 AM
You are a doll! Thanks so much I'll do that! I can't afford my own server right now, my daughter is expecting and we need all the extra cash for that endeavor...lol

I have a full schedule today but I'll see how fast I can get things uploaded and get the links changed this morning and let y'all know!

Thanks again!

ShannaLea
05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi again,

I can't get the images to work once they're uploaded? I'm using the link that your uploader supplied. Can you check them? They're in the coaster folder...I only uploaded a few. Try 01.jpg thru 06.jpg

Thx!

Put your pictures in the default directory, which is coasters. When you do, the uploader will give you links back. Or you can browse the directory. Then change your web page to point to the links and you won't run out of bandwidth.

robvia
05-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Try your pictures now.
It was my fault. I was checking the uploader this morning and accidentally set .htaccess to on by mistake. It's working now.

ShannaLea
05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Try your pictures now.
It was my fault. I was checking the uploader this morning and accidentally set .htaccess to on by mistake. It's working now.

Everything is working wonderfully now. Again I thank you for your generosity in hosting my pictures! I had to change the domain because I went sooo far over bandwith restrictions yesterday that it's inaccessible even to make changes unless I upgrade.

The new url is http://darkastle.netfirms.com (http://darkastle.netfirms.com/)

This page explains how our Darkastle experience went from beginning to end on the first day of public operation. There are many pictures of the line and of the exterior of the building (and a couple of my people), but even some are of the interior of the ride itself. The interior pictures are mostly dark and of course the 3D animations can't be photographed.

I do explain some of the ride in detail, so if you want to be TOTALLY surprised then you may want to skip the last big paragraph. Of course I didn't take notes so the detail isn't extreme.

I tried to make this page in a hurry yesterday so please also forgive me for any grammatical errors, and please let me know if you think I need to add anything or if I've left anything out or even if you enjoyed it! My son thinks I did a good job for a 30-something year old female. <grin>

Thanks again!!!!!

robvia
05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
That's actually a great web page because you tell a story.

Too bad you are on a freebee site, because the page is so good, Screamscape will probably pick it up. Put this line at the bottom,"Thanks to robvia and ServerSeed for hosting the pictures." That way my host gets some credit, and that's why he gives me all the bandwidth I want"

Then e-mail Lance at NewsEditor@screamscape.com and I'm sure he'll put it in the next update. It's always nice to have your work recognized.

I'm surprised the queue line inside the building isn't longer. That means if it's raining, most people will get wet waiting outside.

ShannaLea
05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
I'll do it! :D

I wish I had enough cash at this point to pay a measley sum every month for hosting, but unfortunately we are at a place where that isn't possible.

Did you want me to link the bottom of the page to ServerSeed?? If so, please give me the link url.

I'm not familiar with screamscape, could you briefly fill me in? I really didn't see this as "work", basically it was a documentary for family members and I also thought that maybe some coaster enthusiasts might enjoy seeing the pictures.

Regarding the queue line, I agree with you. It had been raining earlier in the morning and some people had brought their umbrellas just in case it started raining again, but seeing those umbrellas made me think the same thing. Although later in the afternoon they worked great as protection from the sun.

Thanks once more for your kind words and advice. I'm glad you enjoyed the page.

Alpengurl
05-05-2005, 01:22 AM
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showpost.php?p=574595&postcount=25 refers yall to my post for those that want to know more about my experiences with CoDK

hulkrider04
05-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Sweet ride report, sounds like the fire place is really cool.