PDA

View Full Version : Working at CP

emtchick
03-31-2004, 09:25 AM
Hey! I was wondering how working at CP was. I am going for my first season and I just wanted to know what to expect. I will be working as Lifeguard at Soak City.

MaGnUmKeLly
03-31-2004, 09:46 PM
Just ask us any question you would like, and we would gladly answer it for you. I could write a book on it just on this post, but that would take forever.

kermat13
04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Amazing experience. Would go back in a heart beat. I told my boss to fire me (if she had reason too) in April or May so I can go work there with a good excuse. There isn't a year that goes by that I don't think about working there.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-01-2004, 08:18 PM
I really enjoyed my 4 years at Cedar Point. It will be a different feeling going to the park not wearing my blue and red ride uniform.

emtchick
04-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I still am not sure about the whole party scene. I don't want to feel out of it if I don't want to party. So, we'll just have to see. I am pretty sure i willl like it.

Steven
04-02-2004, 01:17 PM
I myself was never into the party scene, but I still had fun and didn't feel out of it. There are definately other ways to have fun there.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-02-2004, 09:47 PM
ESD trips are really good to go to. They have different coaster parks they go to, sports events, trips to Niagra falls, Put In Bay, and other spots. Ride nights for the employees. Parties at the end of the year. Soak City nights, BBQ'S, movies on the big lazer screen. Thats just some of the stuff they do for the employees.

incitehawaii
04-03-2004, 01:58 AM
You gotta love ESD. Does anyone know if Jamie is coming back? I swear she was SO much fun as EDS coodinator! LOL, I loved her at the laser movie nights and then Power Tower ride night! SO much fun! I wish she would have gone on the trips to Kennywood or PKI with us!

It's serious a blast to work at CP, and is honestly the most fun job you can ever have, as long as you don't let the drama (which there DOES tend to be a lot of) and stress (not TOO much, but it happens!) get to you!

MaGnUmKeLly
04-03-2004, 02:03 AM
I think she told me that it was her last year. I could be wrong though..

thegreenone
04-03-2004, 03:07 AM
Hi, I was wondering if someone could elaborate on the living conditions at Cedar Point.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-03-2004, 03:10 AM
Ok well do you have a car or no? Then i can explain the best possible place for you to stay.

thegreenone
04-03-2004, 03:36 AM
I have a car.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-03-2004, 03:40 AM
I will Pm you about what we talked about. Last thing before I head out, I liked the off point dorms and apt's better.

kermat13
04-03-2004, 10:16 AM
OMG don't mention the laser show--i listend/saw that every night for the entire season---it's like a bad nightmare when I hear on of those songs on the radio.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Well where did you work at last year????
Well here goes about the housing stuff. On point is ok cause your right there. There so small though. If anything...your best bet is to get off point. You have a choice from the Commons Apt's(up to 16 people and room up to about 3-4 people, 2 bathrooms, Stove, regrerator. Beds and couches as well..and dressers), Commons dorms(3-4 people, not to bad has air and heat little more to pay then the apt's but there nice to), and Bayside(6-9 people, same as the apt but only one bathroom and stove also has a oven. ) All dorms are open showers...well women have there own as men do. Plus there dorms are not co-ed, but if you want others to stay over thats fine.

rcrider666
04-03-2004, 10:41 AM
lol kermat13, has anyone here worked at magnum,MF or ttd??

MaGnUmKeLly
04-03-2004, 10:43 AM
I worked Magnum last year from June on. Why do you ask?

rcrider666
04-03-2004, 10:46 AM
how was it? it must of been cool working at something you love?

MaGnUmKeLly
04-03-2004, 10:48 AM
I have loved riding magnum since 1991 when I first rode it. I was so scared to death. Once I got off, I was like well at least it didn't stop and I had to go down them stairs. Well 9 years later(i worked it in 2000 as well), I was up the steps of Maggie, and then last year. Its just a great ride.

kermat13
04-05-2004, 07:20 PM
I worked on CP&LE railroad back on 1995 and part year 96. Man I miss it. I lived at Cedar(I think that's the name) it's right at the park out the gate by the antique cars and behind the theatre.. It was great when I woke up late and had to run to work--I didn't have to clock in the first year--so I could high tail it to the engine house.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
I was at the Point back in 96 to play in the park. It was the last year I went before I started working at cedar point back in 2000.

edh101985
04-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Alright, I applied to CP yesterday and I have a few questions.

1) I applied online, so what will they tell me after the 2 weeks. And do I need to go in person for an inverview, or not. Or do they just decide off of what you said in the questionare. It would be VERY difficult since I live 12 hours or so away. And what are the chances of getting a job at CP if you never had one before.

2) About the housing, I said I could start working in the middle of June. That was mainly because their was a manditory visit I had to go to at my college. Since housing is assigned when you arrive, will their definately be enough housing in the middle of June? And what happens if they are full?

darque
04-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Sounds like it's a lot of fun to work there. Not sure I could part with my hair though. Tis is why I never applied to PCW.

:)

Hector
04-17-2004, 05:22 PM
1) You don't have to go for a live interview, They do it over the phone. You'll most likely get hired, but where is the bigger question. It mostly depends on your availability, and what positions they still need.

2)They will never run out of housing. You'll most likely have to go into Cedars (The red one, on-point next to the Marina) but their might be room when you get there at Commons (The prison down the causeway). If you get stuck at Cedars, and you hate it, you can keep checking for open rooms at Commons.

Magnum Robert
04-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Alright, I applied to CP yesterday and I have a few questions.
In the words of Steve-O..."Yeah, Dude". I can't wait to see you there. :D :devil: :p :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

Anyway, you'll probably have a phone interview.

If they run out of housing, then they'll shack you up at the Ritz. So don't worry, they'll find room for you.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Well when I filled out my app on thursday, I called up right after. Then again I had worked there for 4 years mabye thats why. At this point I really don't know were I will be at. It might not be rides, which will suck really bad. Oh well mabye you see me in yellow sweeping or out in the parking lot bringing in cars.

edh101985
04-17-2004, 07:18 PM
What do you do if you dont have a car? How do you get around the town, or are you stuck in that area the whole time. Unfortunately I dont think my parents want me to bring my mustang up their for a whole summer :(

MaGnUmKeLly
04-17-2004, 07:21 PM
You can do either of the following for housing.
1. Live on point
2. Live off point and try to wait on the busing they have there. You will figure out soon to get a early bus sometimes when its busy or so you get there on time.
You will meet friends and get rides like that or also the bus takes you or you can get a cab. Bring the mustang, I can take care of it for them hehehheehe :).

Hector
04-17-2004, 07:56 PM
If you end up living on-point, You won't need a car to get to work, just walk across the street. If you end up living off-point, and don't have a car, they do have buses, but the busses suck though.

Outside of work, they do have buses that run Downtown and to the mall, but again, they suck. Luckily, you meet tons of people and a lot do have their own car, and some don't mind giving you a ride to anywhere you need to go. If you can't find anyone, some of the taxi companies around town give CP employee discounts.

beltzies64
04-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Is it too late to apply for this season? I don't graduate until the first week of June, so I wouldn't be able to start until then.

Also, as you can see I will be going to Notre Dame next year, so every penny I get counts. Right now I have a job at a golf course that gets me about 7 bucks an hour with tips. How much do you make a Cedar Point, and what are the usual expenses (i.e. at home I stay for free, don't pay for food, etc.).

Marc
04-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Most seasonal positions give $6.25 per hour, $1 per hour bonus if you complete your contract. The place where you'd have a chance to make more money is through hours, I worked 39-82 hours per week averaging about 65 excluding weekends. Rides seems to have more hours that other departments. More hours are avalible in Later July and August than June. You will work 6 days a week though. I know a lot of people that end up with a decent chunk after the season

Housing is $16.80-$32.20 if you make $250 in the week or more, it scales down if you get less hours.

Food at the cafeteria is decent priced, it's ok, nothing great. You can buy park food if you want to pay for it, but can't eat it in uniform.

At this point, I don't think you'll be able to work in rides, but other departments should have some spots avalible. I say Apply (http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/jobs/index.cfm) now, and decide later. If you do end up getting hired, there is nothing holding you to working there if you decide it's not for you. The link I gave you is also a good resource on the different jobs and various issues.

Cedar Point is a fun place to work. Chip managed to rack 255 rides on Raptor last summer and 3 rollbacks on TTD. A lot of people go to other local parks during the summer as well.

Hector
04-18-2004, 12:15 PM
The only way I see you working in rides this year, is if you agree do to weekends (Halloweekends) which means you have to get to Cedar Point on thursday or friday, work at least saturday and sunday then drive back to your school sunday night or monday morning.

There are a lot of other departments though, traffic and merchandise can give you a lot of hours as well. You can alwas take someones hours if they don't want them, and most of the time it's not hard to find someone willing to give up some hours.

Marc mentioned housing already, it's also free after Labor Day (if you do end up working weekends). $10/day is more then enough for food. How much you want to make and save is always up to you.

I aslo have to add that living at CP is great for those of us who never lived away from home before. It gave me the chance to live and work with all types of people, a lot of them very different then what is over here. It gave me the chance to live on my own, without the help of my parents, and I had to rely on myself to get things done. I love it, had the times of my life both years, now I'm going back for year three.

MaGnUmKeLly
04-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Looks like, I will be back this year, and in rides. WOOHOOO. Sorry not on maggie though :( :(. To continue to lose weight, I was heading to the antique cars. I go back may 2nd. Can't wait to see everyone out there.

bk2004
04-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Which car ride is the antique cars?

Is it the one in the back of the park by the swings and across from the museum? :confused:

MaGnUmKeLly
04-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Yes those are the ones... Have to listen to lovely country all day.

edh101985
04-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Well I called some # about an interview, and the guy wasn't their. How long should I expect before I get a call? I tried applying for rides. And if I didn't get rides, I also had Bell Hop as a choice. Should I just keep waiting?

Hector
04-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Wait about another week (you can also check the status of your application online), but if your really impaitient, you can call back tomorrow. Again, where you go depends on how long you can work, and how many more people they need for what positions.

edh101985
04-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Well I could work from mid June to mid August. And I could work any time. What would they probably hire for someone working 2 months?

Hector
04-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Not good at all for rides, especially this late (remember, they've been hiring since Jan). Foods, Merch, Traffic, Sweeps and Games would be your best bets. Bell hops might take you, but it's kinda doubtful since there aren't that many positions available (night shift maybe?).

MaGnUmKeLly
04-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Ya, they look at what kind of availability you have for the park, and then decide if they want you in that dept. Rides, there is a slim chance on that one.

sari012285
05-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Hello everyone..this is my first time working at cedar point...Im doing it to just get a break from all the drama around me. But I still want to have fun and go out on some night...are any of you guys into going out? Also, I was wondering how much money you past people made on your other seasons...i'de imagine a ton, since were going to be working so many hours a week...I cant wait to get a tan and have a lot of fun this summer!

Whitey1101
05-03-2004, 09:34 PM
I'll be working at the Point for my first time starting June 13 (when i process)... I know I'm gonna be out after work having a good time and from what two of my friends said is that there are plenty of things 2 do... from bars to what ever else... (me personally the bars and anything else fun) As for hours im gonna be a lifeguard in soak city and its usually around 60hours a week for us lifeguards... as for other jobs they vary depending on the department (so i'm told) if anyone wants 2 meet up or anything just IM or PM me...

Brian
a.k.a Whitey... (frat nick-name)

MaGnUmKeLly
05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Woohooo, I have landed at cedar point. Got in on a crapy sunday morning. I won't be on as much for the time being because the computers arn't in the rec center yet. I have to use the dollar machines...Yuck. Well I will do my best for you guys..

Magnum Robert
05-04-2004, 07:08 PM
^ What do you mean by "dollar machines" ?

Steven
05-04-2004, 07:47 PM
The e-mail terminals you have to pay to use.

sari012285
05-05-2004, 06:57 PM
So does anyone else like to go out who will be working at cedar point?

Magnum Robert
05-06-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm not an employee, but I'll be up there enough.

We need to get you hooked up with MagnumKelly. But then again, she may be a bit wild for you, lol. j/k kelly ;)

Beads anyone??

MaGnUmKeLly
05-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Well they finially got computers in the rec center.
Yes...and beads are welcome....
So I will be on here a little bit more now. By the way I am on snake river falls for now...at least this weekend. I might be there for the season after today. Just so everyone knows.

Marcus
05-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey all, I'm going down to CP and not returning for 3 months. So hold up the fort and make sure someone defends CP for me in any flame wars. Stop and say hi if you like, you can find me at the CP Main Rental Center. If you find me you win your own self sense of satisfaction. Just tell the guy at the counter "Six Flags Rules!!!" and you will know it is me if you hear, "Son of a betch" and see me twirling a stroller over my head. I'll write a trip report on all of this once I get back. Later Peeps, and remember the Cedar Fair Alliance!

Sincerely,
CPZTER

TheBeast25
06-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey guys I have a question for you. I am 16 and want to work at CP this summer or next summer but I need housing provisions. Can I stay near the park and if not do you have anyone reccomendations on what I should do about it?

Thanks alot!

The Beast: 25 years of fear and terror

Steven
06-15-2004, 02:27 PM
In order to live in their housing, you must meet the following:

- At least 18 years of age or be 17/recent high school graduate
- Live at least 50 miles away from the park

In addition, they have restrictions on minors under 18 even entering the housing facilities.

My suggestion would be to stick it out until you are 18, or find a park closer to you that might hire you. If you are 16, you are limited as to what you can do (you can't do rides, Environmental Services, etc. due to park rules).

MaGnUmKeLly
06-15-2004, 03:49 PM
I did see some dark green (16/17 year old) working sweeps this year or last year. They might of just of been turning 18 as well though.

nick_B
07-08-2004, 11:46 AM
i want to work for CP i am 18 do i have a really good chance of working there if i sign my app the first of the yr? are my chances really really good?

SFOG Freak
07-08-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm planning on working at CP when I graduate from high school, I can't wait.

kermat13
07-09-2004, 12:13 AM
If CP is anything like the years I worked there--u could walk up to the door tomorrow and get hired.