PDA

View Full Version : The Myrtle Beach Pavilion - July 30th

bk2004
08-01-2004, 09:37 PM
I was so hyped to go back. It's been two years and I could barely hold back.

It all started when we got there at 1:30 (Me, my dad, and my cousin). The Pavilion opened at 1:00, so it was perfect timing. We paid $6.00 to park. Not too pad compared to SFOG, $12! :eek: Anyways, me and my cousin went straight to the Pavilion and got a wristband for $23.

First ride: Hydro Surge!

It was hot and I had my bathing suit on, so what the heck. Now, 2 years ago when I rode this, I didn't get wet at all, so I was expecting to get sprinkled. Little to my surprise! I got soaked, but I didn't mind. It was really fun and the tunnel at the beginning is a plus!! The rafts seem so low to the water compared to others that I have been on and the seats are flat at the top, instead of sitting down in the boat. It has some pretty good rapids in it, at least I thought. Just to have this ride in such a small park is a surprise to me. They really fit it in well! 7/10. Total rides: 3

Off to the Mad Mouse, my favorite wild mouse type coaster! I absolutely love this ride. From the very beginning drop in the lift, to the ending dip and slamming into the breaks. The trains are sleak, and with the back 2 higher than the front are a plus. They are comfortable also! The reason why I like it so much is because it has a great layout in such a tight & small footprint. The little bank turns are just plain fun. The 4 minor/major drops give some air and make you feel like you are a little mouse squirming around. 9/10. Total rides: 9

After Mad Mouse, I went to take a break from some of the bigger rides and off to ride some smaller flats. The swings, bumper cars, top spin, cars, himalaya, and others were all included. After all of the riding, I was dry and decided to get wet again, so I head off to the log flume.

This ride also has a good layout for it's footprint. The 2 drops and the tunnel make it a nice ride to break away from everything else. Though I didn't get wet as much as Hydro Surge, it was still refreshing. I think a couple more logs on this are necessary, or at least spread them out a bit so they aren't all bunched up. Overall, a pretty nice ride. 6/10.

Right beside the Log Flume is the Haunted Hotel. I wasn't expecting much out of this, but I was still excited since I didn't ride it last time I was at the Pavilion. The line was short, but it took forever. This is the same type of ride that can be found at many carnivals (I mean same type as in the cars and track and the whole configuration of the ride, not the layout, or 'clone' version that I have seen many times at the fair). It does have a custom layout, and the build it is in looks great! So a plus for that. When riding, it didn't have the korney type atmosphere, but it wasn't anything spectacular. I wasn't scary or anything, but I see that they tried. They have some things that pop out at you and a lot of other moving figures, voices and screams, so the ride isn't that bad, but nothing to the point that you would want to ride again. And inside, it is very cold! The AC must be on full blast all day long. It's worth the line just to beat the heat! 5/10. Total rides: 1

So after all of these rides, I was just dying to ride Hurricane--Category: 5. Last time I came, I just rode it once because it was very rough! Everytime I come, I say to myself, "Just ride it a couple of times, and get used to it." And everytime I do and I hate it, but this time it was different. The first couple of rides were the same and it wasn't that fun, but after 3 or 4 trips, I just couldn't get enough!! I fell in love with it. Sure, it was rough, but I just held on tight and enjoyed the wonderful coaster that it came to be that day. It sure beats the Swamp Fox by far (which I rode later that day). The two double helix's pulls and drags the car through them as if you were on the Beast. :-) It was so much fun. It still amazes me of how they fit such a big ride in a small amount of space. Anyways, I fell in love with the ride and want to go back soon to ride again!! :D 8.5/10. Total Rides: 11

Overall, the Pavilion is such a nice little park with great rides for just 17 acres. It so beats the Family Kingdom! Unlike Family Kingdom, the Pavilion tries to look attractive with filling the surrounding areas with flush palm trees and flowers. The workers are nice, though some are a little lazy. They have funny clown street performers roming around too. That was a plus. The whole park is just a very genious layout full of great rides and attractions. It is WAY better than Family Kingdom, which I will never be going back to.

Overall day: 9/10.
Hours spent at the Pavilion: 4

bk2004
08-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Here's an arial view of the park, but it's a little old. Notice the corkscrew coaster is still there.

Wes
08-17-2004, 08:23 AM
Cool TR. :)

Yeah the biggest problem I had with Hurricane was the helix. It's not banked enough or something.

But I could stand it for all the other air time you go on the hills. For such a small footprint, there's a lot of airtime on that coaster!

I really enjoyed it. But in some ways I still like Swamp Fox more, I just wish it wasn't so short. But it was built in the 60's after all. :D

bk2004
08-22-2004, 02:30 PM
I didn't get any air on the Hurricane! Not even a little. I don't know where you got yours, but on the bunny hops, I was stapled to my seat more than anything! :(

The second helix at the top is not banked at all and the train is going like 30-35 m.p.h., but it does go to banking when it dips down. I can't remember the first one.

About the Swamp Fox, I think it's so boring. It is way too short! I used to like it, but after riding the Hurricane so many times, is made the Swamp Fox seem very slow. There was a couple of spots that I got some air, and that was fun, but other than that, it wasn't worth the money to ride it, and before I did I was very excited to ride it, but after getting of, I was very disapointed. The Family Kingdom park was a dump too! :(

Carowinds 73-03
08-22-2004, 03:00 PM
I agree, If their going to tear down the Pavilion why not tear doen FK as well. Please.
Hurricane sucked. MBP has no idea what it takes to maintain a coaster.

Wes
08-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Sounds like MBP's Hurricane has the Hurler syndrome lol.

I enjoyed Hurricane enough to ride it a second time, but that was it. It was so painful in the helixes to me.

bk2004
08-22-2004, 10:16 PM
MBP has no idea what it takes to maintain a coaster.

Why I agree with you on that, I still liked the ride for some reason, but for the first time this visit, and I don't know why. Maybe it was because my cousin that was with me liked it and wanted to ride it more, so that got me on it more, and the more I rode it, the more that I wanted to ride it again and again. But if I rode it now, I probably wouldn't like it because I've ridden more smoother coasters since. I have no idea what I'm saying!
:sick: Maybe it was just that day or a phase that I was in to like it that day.

Anyways, that is the most erie station that I've been in. It's so high off the ground and you can see the ocean and it's really windy. It feels like a hurricane is going to come through and rip down the coaster any minute. Scary.