PDA

View Full Version : New Nashville Theme Park Study

thrillerman
08-07-2004, 12:06 AM
I was pleased to read this in today's newspaper:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=9&screen=news&news_id=34751

Dukeis#1
08-07-2004, 01:58 AM
I'm glad to hear Nashville has taken action to become a theme park city again. Keep us up to date!

Wes
08-07-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm also glad to hear that they are thinking of building another park.

It's just a disgrace what Gaylord did with Opryland. I went to the park 2 times before it was torn down.

And to add fuel to the flame, I've heard that the mall they built (Opry Mills) isn't even doing that well. :rolleyes:

tntornadox
08-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Ive heard the same.

thrillerman
08-18-2004, 07:04 PM
I have good news! The Nashville Metro Council approved the resolution for the proposed theme park study in a meeting last night. Read more here:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=9&screen=news&news_id=35116

Wes
08-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks thrillerman! That's good to hear. I hope they are able to build the park. I think the river front would be a great place for the park.

Is that in the downtown area down near Hard Rock Cafe they are talking about?

cannonballer
08-19-2004, 07:32 AM
I hope not there is not enough room there for much of a park!

Lets hope its not another VISIONLAND fiasco!

This is what they should do. Instead of investing alot of money to build a park they should get a park corperation such as vallyfair etc. and give them all a chance to bid on how much they would put into a new park and then the city should just hand them the land for free. This would bring the city revenue with the lowest investment and more than likely a bigger park than they could build with their limited knowledge of park bussiness if they were to do it like brimingham did with city funds. Gaylord of course should not be allowed to bid.

Wes
08-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Exactly. We should throw Gaylord out of the city and never let him back in ;)

I think the land deal would be a good idea. The only thing is, most of the major theme park owners are probably not going to be interested in a startup park right now.

It's so expensive to make one from scratch and the industry still has not recovered fully from the post 9/11 economy.

thrillerman
08-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Cannonballer, the city is not trying to invest financially into building a park. They are trying to attract a theme park company into wanting to build here. In the words of metro council member Charlie Tygard, "Right now, the ball is in the Mayors, the Mayor's Office of Tourism and the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau to produce a report answering 'the feasibility of & actions required' to help a theme park locate in Nashville".

Dukeis#1
08-20-2004, 02:46 AM
I wonder if they'll actually pull it off. Paramount, Cedar Fair, Six Flags, or Anheuser Busch aren't exactly building parks these days. (Though Paramount is opening that Japan park in 2008 or whenever)

cannonballer
08-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Right they may not be building parks right now but hey, that doesnt mean they are going to not be building parks forever right?

I personally think the company that runs dollywood and silver doller city should do it but that wouldnt happen since dollywood is like 2 hours away.

I think may this would be a oppurtunity for an owner of a park that may only have one park to begin a brand new franchise. Hell maybe a huge corperation would be interested in starting a new park that could possibly turn into a new chain. I see it now "Microsoft's windows land nashville" lol j/k with that one But you get my drift.

Wes
08-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Or McDonald's Acres. Land of the fat coaster trains! Why try to diet and squeeze in a two seater train, when you can be fat and ride a wide seated train at McDonald's Acres!

Would you like fries with that? lol j/k

cannonballer
08-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Thats a good one. they could build the enormous big mac coaster and every fives years it gets smaller!

Snoboarder7997
08-20-2004, 10:21 AM
I stayed in Tennessee last summer with family for a month and two weeks and I am happy to hear that they are looking into a new theme park. I went to the OpryMills Mall while I was out there. It was absolutely huge but really out of the way. Nashville has plenty of malls, the best one being the Coolsprings probably since its alot closer. The mall is right next to the OpryMills Hotel, but why would you want to stay in a hotel for a mall? They should have left the theme park there. As far as the water front goes for a theme park, I believe I know where theyre thinking. When you are driving along one of the freeways on the outskirts of Nashville you can look down the river to where the city is. Between there and the city is what I think is an old garbage dump or something. If I remember there is just a bunch of old crap there. If they were to clear that out and the surrounding area which is nothing but forest they could build a good sized theme park.

thrillerman
08-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Yes Snoboarder that was the proposed site 2 years ago for a new park called Thrillopolis, which by the way, never got off the ground. While it would be great to rid the city of that metal dumping ground, it's really not enough land for a nice sized park. Plus, that location would cause major traffic problems for downtown. I'd like to see it located somewhere outside the city in a more scenic setting. We have lots of land with rolling hills. Yeah, the last thing we needed was another mall like Opry Mills.

Dukeis#1
08-22-2004, 11:29 PM
I don't know if this was ever pointed out, but in April, 2004 Gaylord Entertainment sold out their remaining part in Opry Mills to a German company called "Kan Am
Grund Kapitalanlagegesellschaft MBH"(Yes, that's Right) for $158.1
million.

It's obvious GE would have been better off keeping the Opryland USA theme park at this point...

cannonballer
08-24-2004, 11:32 AM
BUT everyone knew it was a mistake when they did it. I think they just dont know how to run business. Even when they ar edoing the right thing gaylord pulls the plug and makes things bad for themselves. They should have never even built opry mills. Opryland was not a bad revenue maker for them. They should have sold their cable networks and invested more into the park instead.

Coasterholic
08-24-2004, 09:16 PM
*on a side note: Gaylord only lasted, what, 3 - 4 years in SA when they built Fiesta Texas.

coasterfreakk
09-08-2004, 04:27 PM
I think a good place for a nashville theme park is at the intersection of I24 and the OHB north of town there is alot of land and good access for a theme park another location is briley pky west of town near the river there is also alot of land there but its also near a landfill and several prisons. Well i hope we just get a park and i dont really care were they put as lot as its good

thrillerman
09-09-2004, 12:11 AM
I've heard several people mention that area on Briley Pkwy west too. I haven't ever driven over that way, but I'm thinking I should to check it out. I think that area near I24 and OHB might be good as well. Are both of those areas inside Davidson County? I'm sure the metro council will want it to be located inside the county to reap the financial benefits. Haven't heard any new developments in about 2 weeks. The study is supposed to be completed within the next 6 months so keep your fingers crossed!

ErioL
09-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Yes...but it would be another 5 years before this thing opened if it happens, so we have a lot of time to track the developments. I justt hope the park managment is good, and that they really theme and thrill...It would be awesome if they could get BG over there, haha.

Dukeis#1
09-09-2004, 02:37 PM
It would be awesome if they could get BG over there, haha.

Ironically, Anheuser Busch considered buying Opryland in 1982 when National Life Insurance (Opryland's parent company) was sold to American General. American General didn't want the park, so it approached Anheuser Busch. Busch almost purchased the park, but American General wanted to sell them the hotel and Grand Ole Opry as well, so Busch backed off. (They only wanted the park...not the entire resort)

Gaylord Entertainment ended up buying Opryland in 1983. We all know the rest of the sad story...

tntornadox
09-09-2004, 05:45 PM
If Six Flags wasn't in the hole so bad right now, this would be a prime oppurtunity for them to have a park in Tennessee. They have built parks before, and the SF built parks arent bad at all.

Cedar Fair would be good too, but they've never built a park from scratch.
Paramount won't due to Carowinds

Busch Gardens would be the best idea ive heard.

thrillerman
09-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Actually in this case, I'm thankful that SF is in the hole right now. SFKK, SFOG and SFStL are all within an easy day's drive, so I wouldn't be too excited if they were to build here in Nashville. I think it would be oversaturation of SF parks. I'd be most excited about Busch, then CF, then Paramount. Who knows though...an independent developer (such as Themeparks LLC as was the case when Thrillopolis was proposed) might be interested.

ErioL
09-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Yes...Well I hope the right people kind of...nudge the officials in the right direction with this one.

thrillerman
09-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Doing my best to nudge :-P

coasterfreakk
09-15-2004, 01:32 AM
thrillerman all the locations stated in my previous thread are within nashville city limits and are in davidson county.the i24 & ohb have to be the best i've seen with the distance from downtown and the interstate access there.it within 15miles of downtown and there are a few factories and a motel there other than that their is alot of land behinde all of it and its for sale and has been for several years. hope to hear something about it soon.haven't heared nothing sence they said they were going to do the study. ;pumpkin;

coasterfreakk
09-15-2004, 01:35 AM
charlie.tygard@nashville.gov and buck.dozier@nashville.gov email these people in support of the theme park.thanks

thrillerman
09-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey Coasterfreakk. A few weeks back when the news first broke about the theme park, I emailed both Charlie and Buck to show my support. I encourage everyone else to do the same as well.

coasterfreakk
01-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Just wondering if there is any new news on this topic

thrillerman
01-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I haven't seen anything in the news about this lately Coasterfreakk, and I live in Nashville. I have emailed Charlie Tygard of the Metro Council periodically for info since it was his idea for the study proposal last summer. The last email I received from him dated Nov. 22 says, "I really don't know what the Mayor's stance is - I am waiting for the 180 day period to expire so that the report requested by the Council is presented - we'll have to wait until then."

I'm not exactly sure when the 180 day period is over, but I think it is in February or March, so we should be hearing something then with results from the study. Til then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

cannonballer
02-01-2005, 04:12 PM
well........................ Have you ridden king coaster? is it lame?

magnumxl2005
02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
So whatever the park is going to be they are aiming for major thrills?

thrillerman
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Cannonballer...King is just your typical Pinfari compact layout coaster. I have ridden it, but it's nothing too special other than fulfilling a quick coaster fix when I'm in dire need.

Magnumxl2005...No one knows for sure what the Nashville proposed park is aiming for although the original news article mentioned Cedar Point as the prime achetype park model to follow. That says a lot in the thrills department.

Macyismydog5
02-01-2005, 11:24 PM
If they get a new park, they should take kong back and rename it hangman. Kong is the smoothest SLC I have ever ridden, it is actually very enjoyable, so if a new park arrives, they may take better care of it than SFMW.

magnumxl2005
02-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Well first things first, intamin giga ;)

thrillerman
02-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Macy...There's really no need to bring back Hangman since SFKK, which is less than 3 hours away, has a Vekoma SLC identical to it. Besides, there are much better coasters than SLC's now. I'm with Magnumxl2005 on this one!

cannonballer
02-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Cannonballer...King is just your typical Pinfari compact layout coaster. I have ridden it, but it's nothing too special other than fulfilling a quick coaster fix when I'm in dire need.

Magnumxl2005...No one knows for sure what the Nashville proposed park is aiming for although the original news article mentioned Cedar Point as the prime achetype park model to follow. That says a lot in the thrills department.
Yeah it looked like it was not speacial but next time we have a rock gig up there I think I well give it a go if I have the time if not just for a count. I used to live iun nashville and regret not having went to opryland. Maybe a new park would get me there more often. its the same distance as sfog to me and twice the distance as dollywod. Of course I go to dollywood more but if this new park can match the dollywood experience I may be there more.

ErioL
02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Well first things first, intamin giga ;) Thats impractical. Go for a thrilling ride first, but you don't have to spend 25 million on it. They could build a thrilling B&M and a good woodie with 25 millionish.

cannonballer
02-04-2005, 02:28 PM
um what about a good but smaller woodie a used boomerang and a wild mouse to start off with and in 4 to 5 years introduce a good size coaster.

ErioL
02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
^ A little more thrilling then that. :D They need a good woody and decent steel. Wild Mice are boring.

magnumxl2005
02-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah I was just kidding, but a nice floorless is always good to have around.

thrillerman
02-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Cannonballer...I can vouch that Lake Winnie's Cannon Ball is a MUCH better experience than King. It's definitely not worth driving to Nashville for unless you just happen to be in the area and bored. By the way, any news on LW's flume addition?

cannonballer
02-06-2005, 06:59 PM
no news LW usually dont change their website until HALFWAY through the season. Go figure. They need a new water ride though.

coasterfreakk
02-07-2005, 10:43 AM
i read on theme park insider that the study on the theme park was scrapped since there was no public money to go through with it.http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=1798

coasterfreakk
02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I wish they would have let nashville shores build a theme park. that way the thing would already be under construction. but as always something got in the way. well maybe will get something better than music valley soon....

cannonballer
02-07-2005, 11:35 AM
i read on theme park insider that the study on the theme park was scrapped since there was no public money to go through with it.http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=1798 NONONO YOUR WRONG READ THE ARTICLE AGAIN! this quote "Here’s the process that will follow:" defines that the staement of the process listed including the one that the study "will be' is a PREDICTION based on past studies. this article never states the project has been scrapped. you just simply jumped to fast to a conclusion.

coasterfreakk
02-07-2005, 05:18 PM
oopps my bad.

thrillerman
03-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Good news! The Nashville Metro Council's theme park study results were announced today, and they were overwhelmingly positive. Read more here:

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/9896.asp

Sandy W
03-17-2005, 06:47 AM
OK correct me why in the world did they ever close Opryland da I never followed that story. Somebody update me on that what happened. Its about time they figured out they needed another park. Can one be supported since Opryland went down the tubes. Will this be the economy for another park.

Dukeis#1
03-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Opryland USA closed in 1997 because it's owners, Gaylord Entertainment, felt that it was not making enough money. The park was demolished, and the Opry Mills mega mall was built up in it's place. A few years lator, Gaylord Entertainment ended up selling out their part in the mall because it really wasn't making any money.

This article appeared in the Tennessean last August:

"What Gaylord says now about Opryland USA"

"Current Gaylord Entertainment Co. executives say they've found no evidence that former decision-makers even had a business plan for the Opryland USA theme park, let alone any strategic analysis that led to closing it.

It's clear that the closing of the park negatively affected the number of tourists that visited Nashville in the summer, Gaylord spokesman Greg Rossiter said, noting that it affected the number of leisure travelers staying at its Opryland Hotel, as well as every other hotel nearby.

The current management team has found no compelling reasons why the decision to close the park was taken in the first place.

None of the Opryland-era executives are still at Gaylord, he said. The current team is headed by President and Chief Executive Officer Colin Reed."

bk2004
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I knew the mall wouldn't of done as good. I mean come on. A huge resort with a theme park or a mall??

I hope the future park (which WILL happen) is just as good. Nice atmosphere, good rides, clean, unique, ect.

thrillerman
03-17-2005, 11:58 PM
As said, Opryland closed due to very poor management from Gaylord Entertainment, who was not the original owner of the park. Gaylord clearly bit off more than they could chew when they bought the park and had no business sense (and clearly no business) trying to run a theme park.

Jhcbiinoc
03-18-2005, 12:43 AM
It's a shame Opryland closed, it was a cool little park and it did bring a lot of tourists to Nashville. When I heard they closed it for a mall, I was floored. They had a few really unique rides, including an interesting bobsled ride called the Screamin' Delta Demon, and a few smaller coasters but no really "huge" thrill rides. Towards the end, they added another major thrill ride (Hangman), but it was not enough to save the park from the apparent mismanagement of Gaylord Entertainment.

The Opryland Hotel was really cool as well, I still have two framed pictures I bought in one of the shops there on my dining room wall.

What really made Opryland was the atmosphere. I think it would be great to see them put a new theme park there that would offer world class thrill rides, good entertainment, and the same kind of atmosphere that made Opryland a success at one time. The market is definitely there to support it.

The proposed plans I saw for the "Thrillopolis" park that were on the net a year or two ago looked great; there were three coasters, a wooden coaster, a Deja-Vu type shuttle coaster and a huge custom B&M Inverted and then the Huss "Land Of The Giants" section with 4 flat rides.

I wonder what would have happened if Cedar Fair rather than Gaylord Entertainment had bought Opryland.....

thrillerman
03-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Here's another article about the theme park study:

http://66.45.13.138/index.cfm?section=9&screen=news&news_id=40012

You can download the full research synopsis documents there.

coasterfreakk
03-20-2005, 10:10 PM
the bells bend park area is one of the parts of town i think the park should go it just off brily pky. on the west side of nashville and it along the river with alot of land to make a good park on.the bells bend park is just a metro park i dont see any reason why they could'nt just give someone the land for theme park uses.

thrillerman
03-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Bells Bend sounds like a good area. I'll have to ride out that way and check it out soon since I've never been. Couple of questions...Does it have easy access to interstate travel? What's the terrain like? Are there many hotels nearby that area?

coasterfreakk
03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
the bells bend area is just off briley pky. and the part of briley is between i-24 and i40 so the interstate would not be a problem but there are no hotels or motels in that area unless you classify a prison as and overnight place to stay jj. but there are some hotels not to far away on white bridge rd. and you also have the westend area within 5 or so miles away and there is all kinds of hotel motels there. i think something like this would help and get that part of town out of the dumps and bring up property value because the area is kinda run down lots of crime and other things .

thrillerman
03-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks Coasterfreakk. My friend at work was telling me about that area today and gave me directions. I hope I can ride out that way this weekend and give it a good look.

coasterfreakk
03-22-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.nashville.gov/parks/bellsbend.htm here is a little info on bells bend park i didn't know that they had so much land there 808 acers

thrillerman
03-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I didn't know there was that much land there either. After looking at that site, I would be very surprised if all that land would be considered for the theme park as there seems to be an emphasis on preserving open green space.

coasterfreakk
04-01-2005, 06:40 PM
check this out http://www.thrillhunter.com/Home.html

PINK FLOYD FANA
04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
The song is cool! "put up a f---ing" what? I would think it was mall but I didn't catch all the words to the song.

thrillerman
04-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Looks like Dolly might want to get in on the action:

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/05/03/67774842.shtml?Element_ID=67774842

coasterfreakk
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
well thats a surprise i wouldnt think that dollywood would even think about a nashville park because so many people from nashville go to the original DW. Well I hope something can come out of this. i'd go to DW in nashville to show my support.

thrillerman
04-09-2005, 03:48 PM
"Dolly's Opryland"? "DollyLand"? "DollyWorld"? "DollyVille"? I wonder what it would be called if built.

coasterfreakk
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Well lets bring up something here ... on the study why would they put nashville shores as a possible site for a park when just a few years ago they said that no dry land park could be built on that site...

coasterfreakk
05-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Well it dont look good here in nashville the nashville valley amusement park is closing after two years in buissness.

coasterfreakk
03-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Well it looks like gaylords up to something its probably not a large theme park but something could be coming .
http://www.themeparksonline.org/tpoforum3.asp?threadid=1226&forumid=1
look at the last 2 post