PDA

View Full Version : SFGAm - Waterpark '05

SFGAm Guru
08-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Its Official...

SFGAm is getting a waterpark for '05 as reported in the Q2 2004 SFI Earnings Conference Call. If you go into the webcast the official words are said around the 47 minute mark.

"... and to build a new waterpark next to our existing Chicago Theme park ..."

Here's the link:

http://sixflags.com/investors.asp

hades05
08-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Finally. Hopefully this means shorter lines for the coasters in the afternoons during peak season. Too bad for my home waterparks though(the dells). I don't really think that it will affect them much.

ImmelMatt
08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Two words: ProSlide Tornado ^_^

GAcoasterguy
08-11-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm guessing this will be almost identical to HH in California...Seperate admission, but sharing a common front gate area. Probably built on the side where SUF is.

James
08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
most SF parks have the waterpark for free when it is next to the park itself.. SFMM is still pay more.. but i think one of the TX parks dropped the fee and made it free... all the SF parks i have been to where the waterpark is next to the prk it was free... SFNE TGE SFA....yeah...
so i think they wont charge more for the waterpark..

coasterlove
08-11-2004, 01:52 PM
If they get a waterpark, it would be nice if it was included with admission but I doubt that it will. If you look at the SF parks that include the waterpark in admission, it's the smaller parks (SFKK, SFStL, for example) that need it as an attraction to draw people in. With a big park like SFGAm that can already draw well over 2 million people on its own, I think they'll realize that it's a better business move to have a seperate admission for the waterpark to make plenty of extra cash. Just like SFMM charges an extra admission since there park is huge and doesn't need the waterpark to draw people in, I expect the same for SFGAm.

Although if SFGAm does in fact include the waterpark in admission and the with a great coaster (floorless, rocket, B&M prototype???) the year after that possibly, they really could become one of the best parks only behind Cedar Point and whoever #2 would be. I'd say #2 should be SFMM, but the way they neglect that park with maintenance is disgusting, so I really can't put them in the top anymore.

m-force 4 ever
08-11-2004, 04:00 PM
ooooh thats sounds pretty cool, I hope that season passes cover admission to the waterpark.

GAcoasterguy
08-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Probably not...SFGAdv is comparable to SFGAm, and SFMM (in attendance, cost, etc.) and the HH's there are a speperate admission and seperate season pass (or you can get the multi-park pass for more money). I'd imagine SFGAm will be the same.

coasterlove
08-11-2004, 05:10 PM
^that's what I was trying to say. It would be nice if the waterpark was included with admission but I doubt that it will be.

SFGAm Guru
08-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Supposedly this is a $35 Million investment for the park. Personally I'd rather see a huge coaster put in, but I guess this is better for the GP and shorter lines (hopefully). I am guessing the parking lot behind RB or the parking lot behind SG3000 and Winner's Circle.

GAcoasterguy
08-13-2004, 11:30 AM
The fact that they have announced it so early leads me to believe it will be a seperate admission, since 2005 season passes will be going on sale soon, and they'll want to sell the 2-park passes fromt he start rather than having to upgrade them after purchase.

I wonder...with Wet-N-Wild closing and being removed in Vegas http://www.screamscape.com/html/las_vegas.html if maybe SF bought their rides and equipment? The timing would be right, and it would be the cheapest way to build a new water park.

I hope whatever they build is a nice as HH in New Jersey is http://www.amusementpics.com/SFHHNJ.htm, since I'm going to SFGAm next Summer!

UrrCMAN2004
08-15-2004, 03:06 PM
A member on the sfgamworld.com boards said that construction should start on the 24 acre parking lot behind raging bull within the next 3 weeks. Also, the go-carts will be relocated, and a major attraction will be removed.

Zach
08-15-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm real glad this is being built. The nearest water park near me with more than 2 slides is a good hour and a half away.

Bob
08-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Good point in tying the closure of Wet-n-Wild and this announcement. That would be my guess too. I also heard that they were putting it on the Raging Bull side of the park in the parking lot area. If a major attraction was going to be removed, my money would be on the Space Shuttle/Stargate ride. If you factor in the rumor that they're going to relocate the go-carts, I think that would make the most sense.

Just my thoughts.

CPFan
08-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Also, the go-carts will be relocated, and a major attraction will be removed.

I hope the Space Shuttle/Stargate thing is removed. I thought the journey to the moon was alright, but the new Stargate one is just dumb, in my opinion.

Back to the water park -

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Master Blaster type ride here. However, no matter how big or small this will be (I am not exactly how big of a water park you get with $35 million), I bet the water park will have a seperate fee. With no major water parks located within an hours drive, they have no competition to keep them from not charging. Of course, like everything in that park, any theme park for that matter, it will be rediculously overpriced. Probably around $20 extra to get in, if there is a fee.

coasterlove
08-15-2004, 07:17 PM
This will be interesting to see. I don't know if anybody would know, but how much is $35 million compared to the other waterparks out there. How much have other Hurricane Harbors cost?

I would hope that it would be included in admission but I doubt it will be. If it was included with the park and was around Raging Bull with the entrance towards the front, it would be nice since the front left of the park is pretty empty and doesn't have anything really great there. Of course, this is if the waterpark is included with admission.

SFGAm Guru
08-15-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm willing to bet it will by Sky Trek and the Pictorium. That way the entrances to both parks are close to each other and half the family can goto SFGAm and the other to the water park.

raser
08-15-2004, 09:20 PM
I thought SF just signed a deal to do Stargate for several years?

CPdude05
08-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Darnit, michigans adventure wont have the only big waterpark in this area.

UrrCMAN2004
08-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Sky trek tower isnt going anywhere. Its been there forever and they arent goin 2 get ridd of it. It be dumb to anyway becasue its a cool ride, it never breaks, and its allways open.

Stargate isnt going anywhere either because even though it sucks, they spent a boat load of money on that theatre in the 90s and six flags signed a 2 year deal with mgm to play the stargate video.

The ride that is goin is splash water falls near demon and deja vu. The go carts are going in there. It would look beter too without the lake and having the slow car ride go around it. No one knows whether or not they will put swf over in the water park.

Now, about the water park. 35 million is alot for a HH water park. I dont know how much they spent on gadv's park though, and that ones 45 acres. If ours cost anywhere near theres all be happy as h*ll though. What i do know though is that most HH cost around 15 mill. About whether or not itll be good, I bet it will. I bet itll have a tornado bowl and a master blaster because theyre really popular. But one thing I know for sure is that with the dells close by, they will deffinatly pump money into this thin to get people to come.

Admission prices: Chances are, itll have them. Gadv and MM have a 29 dollar admission and they 2 are "big 4s" as far as six flags parks go.

Bob
08-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Stargate isnt going anywhere either because even though it sucks, they spent a boat load of money on that theatre in the 90s and six flags signed a 2 year deal with mgm to play the stargate video.

This video is playing somewhere else correct? Did the deal say that both parks had to run it for two years?

The ride that is goin is splash water falls near demon and deja vu. The go carts are going in there. It would look beter too without the lake and having the slow car ride go around it. No one knows whether or not they will put swf over in the water park.

Right...they'll take out a water ride that draws people. I think not. Besides, that area isn't big enough for the go-carts unless you removed the Great American Raceway.

I could possibly see them taking out the Pictorium (Very unlikely, but possible) and moving the go-carts. That would create a huge opening and then still give them the current bus lot to expand into. If they do that, they could put the entrance to the waterpark inside of the park and not charge a separate admission. I don't see them separating the entrances to the parks by too much. Currently there isn't a lot of room for them to put the entrances side by side.

Building a waterpark is a smart move with Wisconsin Dells only being a couple of hours away. They'll be able to draw from central Illinois and northern Indiana. Plus they may get some of the Milwaukee residents (such as myself) to go there instead of the Dells for a water park.

SFGAm Guru
08-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Darnit, michigans adventure wont have the only big waterpark in this area.

Umm... The Dells are huge man.

m-force 4 ever
08-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Well, I hope they have double passes for SFGAm and the waterpark, cuz Ill get em

UrrCMAN2004
08-16-2004, 11:26 PM
This video is playing somewhere else correct? Did the deal say that both parks had to run it for two years?

Right...they'll take out a water ride that draws people. I think not. Besides, that area isn't big enough for the go-carts unless you removed the Great American Raceway.

I could possibly see them taking out the Pictorium (Very unlikely, but possible) and moving the go-carts. That would create a huge opening and then still give them the current bus lot to expand into. If they do that, they could put the entrance to the waterpark inside of the park and not charge a separate admission. I don't see them separating the entrances to the parks by too much. Currently there isn't a lot of room for them to put the entrances side by side.

Building a waterpark is a smart move with Wisconsin Dells only being a couple of hours away. They'll be able to draw from central Illinois and northern Indiana. Plus they may get some of the Milwaukee residents (such as myself) to go there instead of the Dells for a water park. How does swf draw people? Its not like taking out raging bull that actually attracts people. Its a water ride. And yes, the gocarts could fit there. Easily. That areas really big. Think about how much land swf takes up. The raceway around it goes out all the way to daredevil dive. The turnaround before the station is probibly 40 - 50 feet wide, and if hey drain and fill in the lake, itll be a huge plot of land.

And what were you thinking whe you posted this? "I could possibly see them taking out the Pictorium, (VERY UNLIKELY, BUT POSSIBLE)...". What does that mean? Even besides your post theres NOW WAY that the pictorium is leaving. It was the first IMAX theatre in the world and it just recieved new seats this year. And why would they bulldoze that entire building?? It would cost enough money taking it down than is neccisary. That would be a terrible place for the go carts anyway because if you go to the park alot and you truly know it by heart, you'd know that the theatre is built on a hill. I dont know how far the structure goes under ground, but i do know that If they ripped it out all the land ould be uneven.

m-force 4 ever
08-17-2004, 03:58 PM
the waterpark would go well in the bus parking lot, by RB and Viper

CPdude05
08-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Umm... The Dells are huge man.
I know the dells are huge but in order to get to the dells you would have to either drive to lake michigan and take a ferry and drive to the dells, or drive around lake michigan which would be a very long drive.

hades05
08-17-2004, 04:54 PM
I see your point. I'm glad I live so close, and am probably spoiled because of it.

Bob
08-17-2004, 05:23 PM
And what were you thinking whe you posted this? "I could possibly see them taking out the Pictorium, (VERY UNLIKELY, BUT POSSIBLE)...". What does that mean?

Ummm...that it was unlikely, but possible.

...if you go to the park alot and you truly know it by heart, you'd know that the theatre is built on a hill. I dont know how far the structure goes under ground, but i do know that If they ripped it out all the land ould be uneven.

Ever heard of a bulldozer? They do have ways to level ground these days now.

I don't care if it was the first IMAX theater. There's a lot of space there that could be made available. Same goes for the SG3000 ride if they'd axe that too. There's no room for a water park on the grounds other than on that side of the park and only then if they use part of the parking lot. (Yes..I do go the park quite often.) Unless you think they should use the employee parking area/graveyard (where Shockwave currently resides). But then where would you put the entrance?

Timmy179
08-18-2004, 12:17 PM

Sorry buddy, All I can say is get your last ride on Splash Water Falls if you feel the need, You wont be riding it next year.

UrrCMAN2004
08-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks Timmy179. BTW, I didnt know you were on these boards too.

And snafu, there IS room. They dont have to ripp out pictorium so get over it. There will be room even without that gone. Its not even in the same area anyways. The parking lot is 85 acres. The buss parking lot takes up a ton of space and even if they waterpark comes all the way out toward where the go-carts were, the pictorium is too far inland to get ridd of it. Im about to go down there right now to get some pics from the parking lot and the sky treck tower to show you.

Bob
08-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Let me make it clear....I said "VERY UNLIKELY, BUT POSSIBLE". Just like its VERY UNLIKELY that you'll understand that sentence, BUT it is POSSIBLE. Not once did I say that they'd rip out the Pictorium, but it does remain a possibility, however unlikely.

You don't need to send me photos as I've been there several times.

As for them putting the waterpark out 'all the way out toward where the go-carts ' are, you're shortchanging them on space. I'm sure that they'll put in more than just a few slides. This is going to be a good size waterpark which will take up some considerable space. My money says that they'll use a portion of the parking lot (most likely the bus area).

Timmy179
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Pictorium isnt going ANYWHERE.

The waterpark will be of good quality, SF. wouldnt spend 35 million on something thats going to nosedive.

There is already some construction in the parking lot. (Away from the bus lot) They are tearing up curbs & Etc. My guess is SF found a way to reconfigure the parking lot where some of the lost parking spaces could be redeemed.

coasterlove
08-18-2004, 05:47 PM
There already starting to tear up that part of the parking lot? I'll have to look for that next time I'm there. I was there on Friday and hadn't seen anything happening yet.

Timmy179
08-18-2004, 06:16 PM
The current construction (if thats what you want to call it) is taking place in the overflow lot.

intamin101
08-18-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure how many people here have been to the Dells, but SF is going to have a difficult time drawing from their clientel. Really, I feel like the only people that are actually going to be drawn are the people from Chicago and surrounding areas. The Dells now has 5 roller coasters with a sixth halfway built. There is a park entirely devoted to thrill rides, and several elaborate waterparks both indoor and out. The Kalahari, Great Wolf Lodge, and Bay of Dreams are constantly expanding indoor and out. Family Land, Riverworld, and Noah's Ark continue to add new attractions all the time. Really, the only edge SF has is a shorter drive time.

Bob
08-18-2004, 11:51 PM
I didn't realize that they were working in the lot already. I didn't see that last Sunday when I was there.

Yes it will be tough for SF to draw from the Dells, but with some marketing and some creative pricing, they should be able make a little dent in the Dells'. Most of the resorts up there are just that...resorts. Noah's Ark is the only one that I know of (I haven't been to the Dells yet so I'm not talking knowledgable here) where you don't have to be a guest of a hotel to use the water park (IE: Great Wolf Lodge). Besides, if SFGAm sells a combo season pass (which I'm sure they will), I think that they'd be able to pull some of the business away.

coasterlove
08-19-2004, 12:09 AM
While SFGAm may not be able to steal away a lot of people from the Dells area because of the new waterpark, but it's still a new waterpark and people will want to check it out. Also, the Dells may have an advantage over SFGAm when it comes to the waterparks. SFGAm has a huge advantage when it comes to coasters, even including Hades that the Dells area is getting next year.

Looks like it's good to be in the Illinois and Wisconsin area next year. :)

m-force 4 ever
08-19-2004, 12:52 AM
I like that compitetion, it will keep the dells and SFGAm the best they can be.

Timmy179
08-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Tree removal has begun!

m-force 4 ever
08-19-2004, 08:01 PM
when I visited SFGAm today i saw 3 large peices of construction equipment in the overflow lot. and I saw a couple vans and a tree which was being removed.

SFGAm Guru
08-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Tree removal has begun!

Where??

Timmy179
08-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Overflow lot

(No thats not where the waterpark is going)

UrrCMAN2004
08-21-2004, 12:00 PM
We were all wronge about it being by Bull. I was there last night and all the light post were removed in the overflow lot, there are huge mounds of dirt everywhere, a few bulldozers, a stack or 2 of trees, and about an acre or 2 of removed parking spaces where a hole now lies in the ground. For an idea of where it is going on, heres a picture of the parking lkot in the 70s. The park has grown since then, expanding a couple acres out with swt, a couple more with space shuttle america, and a ton of land with superman/shockwave. When you look at the picture, all those trees or light fixtures that are alligned in the bottom lot are gone, and all the constrution is in the middle, but a little to the left. Toady, that parking lot looks more like a triangle because instead of stopping on the left, it continues to a point. Heres a pic:
http://groups.msn.com/SFGAmSupermanUltimateFlight/82004.m (http://groups.msn.com/SFGAmSupermanUltimateFlight/82004.msnw?action=ShowPhotoID=479)
snw?action=ShowPhotoID=479 (http://groups.msn.com/SFGAmSupermanUltimateFlight/82004.msnw?action=ShowPhotoID=479)

Thats of the light fixture gone, but the main constrution is well underway and off to the right about 50 feet. For soe reason we didnt notice it from the sky trek tower, but at 9:30 that night whe we got reakky close to the site we saw trees and a hole in the ground. It was too dark to get any good pictures.

hades05
08-21-2004, 12:23 PM
The link isn't working, but I know what the photo is because I saw it on another site.
I'm still believing that all of that construction has to do with reworking the lot. The hole could possibly be for some utility work such as water or gas.
Although, it isn't impossible that the waterpark will be in the overflow lot.

UrrCMAN2004
08-21-2004, 12:48 PM
It isnt like a small but deep hole like at gadv right now. It is about an acre of ripped up pavement, in no orderly fasion like a straight line for piping or anything. it goes only 5 feet or so deep.

Sorry about the links. for some reason they dont work on this site. Any help? Im trying to copy and paste but when I would right click on this site it didnt even give me the option.

SFGAm Guru
08-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Wow, its definately a seperate park now. Seperate gate admission definately and Season Pass is still questionable, but thats probably gonna be separate too.

intamin101
08-21-2004, 03:27 PM
God, is it really that hard to predict? There will be a price for the theme park season pass, and there will be a price for the water park season pass. There will also be a price for a waterpark/theme park pass with an incredibly weak price break to make you think you're getting a great deal.

blackmetalmosh
08-21-2004, 04:15 PM
are they going to make any new parking or is parking not going to be a problem since it was only the overflow lot?

i agree with intamin, i think its going to be just like CP , a season pass for cp, separate for soak city, and a pass for both of them.

Timmy179
08-21-2004, 06:01 PM
The waterpark WILL go in the bus lot by Bull, take my word.

Did you ever think they could be repaving the lot??

w00dland
08-21-2004, 07:03 PM
I've lurked around this site for over 2 months now and I finally got around to registering this afternoon.

I've got to agree with Timmy on this one. I see no reason for them to build the waterpark to far away from the actual park right now. That overflow lot has more plants in it right now than parking spaces and it has been in need of repavement for the longest time. (Not saying the bus lot and the area by Winner's Circle doesn't need it either, there are actually big circles indented into the pavement from where car's wheels are parked during the day.)

UrrCMAN2004
08-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Timmy, what evidence do you have? Im not dissagreeing with you, I'm just eager to know what, if any, evidence supporting your thoughts.

blackmetalmosh
08-22-2004, 01:21 PM
so are we not sure yet if the water park is going in the overflow lot or if they are just repaving it?

Kyle Rehm
08-22-2004, 08:10 PM
UrccMan... I think I can explain Timmy's reasoning.....

Basically there are markings all over the Bus lot, and suverying has been occuring there for a long time. Also SFGAm is not going to re-open the AE entrance, so why not put that area to a good use. Also, if the waterpark was so far away, what will they have a tram between them? That would cost money, and at this point SF is struggling for that.

Also that back lot was desperately in need of a re-vamp, and the reason why they only are doing minor fixes to major problems for the rest of the lot may be because they need to bring in a ton of heavy equipment, which would tear up the new lot, so thats why I wouldn't expect to see repavement being done to the rest of the lot ( which badly needs it as well...) until after the waterpark is almost done, i.e. spring of next year.

intamin101
08-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Also, with the amount of parking spaces that will be lost, the overflow lot will be used much more frequently next year. Granted, I'm not sure why they would choose to do something that is more of a want than a need when there are other aspects of the park that are hurting...

Kyle Rehm
08-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Well, when you really think about it, a waterpark will draw in large crowds, SFGAm is one of the only major SF parks without a waterpark. Also, this was planned in the phases of it being part of the entertainment complex, so it could be possible that SF had a agreement with whoever they would be buying the slides etc from, and they don't wish to have them sitting around forever.

I too agree that other aspects of the park could be worked on, but SFGAm does need something new, something to draw in crowds, and this will keep the crowds coming for a long time.

SFGAm Guru
08-22-2004, 08:48 PM
I am probably going this week, I'll take plenty of pictures and will try to tell whats happening in the overflow lot. I've seen plenty of road construction to know that its going to be paved there or actual construction, but only if they are so far along in the process.

Timmy179
08-24-2004, 01:42 AM
http://www.sfgamworld.com/gallery/08232004

Moo man
09-06-2004, 08:33 PM
I would like to see a ton of orginal theming, a Tornado Proslide thing, wave pool, Master Blaster type thing, lazy river, waterslide complex, playarea with that bucket that tips over, and themed eating areas.

SFGAm Guru
09-06-2004, 09:12 PM
I don't really care, because I probably won't go to the waterpark much, but if I do I'd like to see a master blaster, drop slide, and a huge slide complex.

raser
09-06-2004, 10:50 PM
as for a master blaster there is one not even 2 hours away in Rockford...

coasterlove
09-06-2004, 10:53 PM
I'd like to see a lazy river and a wave pool definitely. Also, I'd like to see one of those "toilet bowl" things (can't think of the official name). Just some great slides, possibly a couple that are long and totally inside the dark plus one of those big buckets that tip over and spill thousands of gallons of water on top of the people below.

edh101985
09-06-2004, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't expect a master blaster. I don't believe any Six Flags has one. Those came out a long time ago, and I think SF would have baught atleast one for a park.

ImmelMatt
09-07-2004, 09:11 AM
I would like to see a ton of orginal theming, a Tornado Proslide thing, wave pool, Master Blaster type thing, lazy river, waterslide complex, playarea with that bucket that tips over, and themed eating areas.

Original theming = possible
Tornado Proslide = very possible (Pray, people! PRAY!
Wave Pool = must-have
Master Blaster = no
lazy river = possible
waterslide complex = given
Play Area with the bucket = given, but the bucket isn't
Themed eating areas = possible

raser
09-07-2004, 11:13 AM
^^ I like soak cities idea of 2 lazy rivers one calm and the other more adventurous...

Moo man
09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
I was thinking a little while ago, and you know I just remembered, that PGA just got a waterpark last year and (I think, it might be another Paramount Park) are expanding it this year. Both parks have kept a close eye on each other, adding simular rides after ones in the other park are popular. I might, howeveer be completely wrong.

I like coasterlove's idea of the toilet bowl ride thing. I have not ever been on one, but they do look enteraining. I knew there was a master blaster nearby Sfgam, but there are skyscrapers by the Sears Tower as well. Did that stop them from building it? I am not trying to be rude, I just would not rule out the possibilty of a master blaster in the waterpark. It seems that they are going to put a lot of money and effort into making this waterpark.

My last thing, what do you think the waterpark will be themed to? Most SF waterparks are themed decently, so what do you think sfgam's will be themed to? I personnaly think its going to have to do with the western US, for it is "great america" and they haven't been in the western west. Sure, they've been in the southwest, but I mean like Navada or California. Who knows, we might see a waterpark themed to Las Vegas! ^_^

GAcoasterguy
09-07-2004, 08:21 PM
It's going to be a Hurricane Harbor just like the last few they've built. The one at SFGAdv and the one at SFNE are both well themed, and have the same basic collections of attractions: wave pool, lazy river, body slide, tree house (with bucket), family size tube slide, large 4 or 6 slide tube complex, kids area, 3 or 4 restaurants, a shop or two. I'm guessing it will get a proslide tornado as well.

Since this is being scratch built, I wouldn't be surprised if it's almost identical to SFHH in NJ: http://amusementpics.com/SFHHNJ.htm

intamin101
09-07-2004, 09:58 PM
You could probably bank on a Master Blaster coming to SFGAm. From what it looks like, Noah's Ark will be adding one this year, and I doubt they will go two years in a row without adding other large attractions due to the newfound competition. Noah's Ark has been adding rides every other year religiously since before Kowabunga!. I would not be surprised if they changed that policy to be every year. To keep clientel from SE Wisconsin SFGAmHH will have to add unique rides. Maybe this will make the lines shorter, which essentially, is probably why they're doing it.

coasetrphil
09-07-2004, 10:16 PM
The technically don't need the Wisconsin market. I think they are really hoping that it will draw more crowds from Chicago. Plus, Noah's Ark is still pretty far away from Milwaukee when compared to SFGAm. Isn't it around a 90 minute trip.

intamin101
09-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Longer than 90 minutes. But if you were from the area, then you would know that driving to Milwaukee from Chicago on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon in summer is murder. Many well off families from Chicago as well as other Illinois cities have lake homes or cottages in or around Wisconsin Dells. Its just a great place to spend a weekend and get away from the drab lakeless flat land. There are literally hundreds of lakes to choose from, so many families decide to do this.

So already there is an Illinois clientel. Then with word of mouth, (i.e. Noah's Ark has a slide that is so much better than anything at SF!, or you guys need to check out Hades! it has a tunnel that is like a hundred times longer than Ragin Bull!) people will want to make the trip, because its really not too far especially if you decide to stay the night or the weekend. Either way, I'm sure SF will want to draw from wherever they can. And to tell the truth, when I go to SF, a Wisconsin plate is not uncommon, and when I go to the Dells an Illinois plate is not uncommon.

So really, with the figures that SF just put out with attendance, and the fact that SF still sells tickets in Waukesha, over an hour away, they technically do need the Wisconsin market, and if they lost it, they would lose a lot of money. Sounds to me like good, healthy competition.

GAcoasterguy
09-16-2004, 09:23 AM
The press release is up...http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040916/cgth001_1.html

Sounds like a near clone of HH in NJ, and it doesn't sound like they're getting a Proslide Tornadoe (with the park's grand opening at least).

BatwingFan SFA
09-16-2004, 12:24 PM
I just don't like the use of the skull island theme....that's an SFA original.

Looks like they'll have to theme skull island back to the original pirates cove section again,in a way it's bad enough that both parks have "America" in the title,then again we might be looking at our own version of HH coming soon.

GAcoasterguy
09-16-2004, 01:19 PM
There's a webcam up to track construction: http://www.sixflags.com/parks/hurricaneharborchicago/webcam_popup.html

ImmelMatt
09-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I just don't like the use of the skull island theme....that's an SFA original.

If it's owned by SF, it usually doesn't stay original

Wootness for an awesome waterpark! Wootness all around!

w00dland
09-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Looking at the webcam it looks like they have paved the Overflow lot which is important if they are going to get any parking for Fright Fest.

UrrCMAN2004
09-16-2004, 07:12 PM
That parks going to be SO awesome!!! Its got all the perfect slides you could ever want for a water park, and ones never seen at water parks before. The play area is the biggest in the world and has a pirate theme with an erupting volcano, 4 master blasters (built by proslide), mat racers, a wave pool, and in the big complex in front of the wave pool, a really tall bowl that has a slide into it and instead of dumping into a pool, you keep going down a slide. Check out the park map.

STCampbell328
10-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Has anyone heard what they are going to do about parking when the waterpark opens next year?

I mean over half the main parking lot is going to be gone and that only leaves the other half and the over flow, and already during the summer they used to fill the main one and over half the overflow.

They are going to have to put up a parking structure or something, or make one way lanes because you can park more in a one way parking lot than you can parking lots that allow people to go each way down the lanes.

SFGAm Guru
10-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Well they repaved the overflow lot, presumably making more space, and also added I think i heard 500 spots by the lake and overflow. Eventually though, we are going to need a structure.

BatwingFan SFA
10-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Well it looks like SFGRAM won't be the only SF park making waterpark additions next season.

From the hints given on the official SFA homepage it looks like we'll be seeing a new hurricane harbor makeover as well,hopefully they'll include a webcam at SFA to follow the off season construction & once the zoning board hearing is concluded we should know just what the new waterpark will include.

I'm not sure if the masterblaster would be included at in either SFGRAm's waterpark or SFA's as it is rather outdated technology that's about a decade old,but if SFGRAM is getting it then maybe we'll get it as well.

tgrocks
11-04-2004, 07:11 PM
I never did truly understand the concept of the Masterblaster........ It's proppelled up hilll by a jet of water? Wouldn't that hurt? I can just imagine it now! Ouch!

Anyways, i've never been in the water park of my home park PCW. I don't see the point. If we ever get it remodeled to Boomerang Bay i migth give it a shot though! I like themed things. Does hurricane harbour have any theming or scenery like Boomerang Bay?

CPdude05
11-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I never did truly understand the concept of the Masterblaster........ It's proppelled up hilll by a jet of water? Wouldn't that hurt? I can just imagine it now! Ouch!

The master blaster is not a body slide, it is a tube slide, if that is what you mean.

tgrocks
11-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Still, wouldn't some of the water thats being shot strike you? I mean if it did ac tually hit the riders it would kinda hurt! I dunno, like I said, i'm not too big on waterslides.

raser
11-04-2004, 08:25 PM
^^ we have a masterblaster not to far away and the "blast" is at your back and feels really good. It is a large jet that is spread across the whole back of the "tube" you ride in...No pain and lots of fun...This is actually a hybrid waterslide/rollercoaster...

w00dland
11-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Hah, the webcam has water in it's lense as oh right now. I can't wait until we get some snowfall so all you see is white...

tgrocks
11-06-2004, 11:52 PM
It feels good? Ha, thats cool. If PCW got one of these, I might actually visit the waterpark. It might be a good financial investment for all parks if there as good as you say they are raser! Now i wanna ride one!!!!

coasterlove
11-07-2004, 01:52 AM
When I was there on the last day of the season, it looked like they were making good progress. The whole area seem to be dug up and ready for the start of actualy construction after they lay whatever concrete that might be needed or whatever they decide they would use. I have to say that it looks huge! I already got my season pass for next year and I can't wait to check it out.

m-force 4 ever
11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
yay Iam very excited it looks like its gonna be awesome

coasterlove
12-08-2004, 02:04 AM
For those who are interested, I suggest checking out SFGAm's website. They actually have some photos, a webcam and even a construction diary discussing the progress of the new waterpark. It almost feels like Cedar Point's website. It's nice to see them showing us so much of their construction for a change. It's a nice touch for us enthusiasts.

B&Master3000
02-21-2005, 07:38 PM
this makes me very happy, plus it's my homepark! I can tell you one thing it's gonna take at least 2 or 3 days to expierence(sp?) the whole thing, both SFGAm & HH in one day, if you can handle it!
P.S. Vertical Construction (slide tower supports) has begun :)

B&Master3000
02-21-2005, 08:11 PM
here's an update from http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatamerica/Updates/photos.html

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatamerica/images/water/photos/30AdventureRiver.jpg

Adventure River

Slide tower supports going uphttp://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatamerica/images/water/photos/35Supports.jpg

m-force 4 ever
03-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Well I was at SFGAm today and I decided to take pics, enjoy! larger and clearer versions will soon be posted on midwest coaster madness!

Matt M
03-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Quitre alot of pictures right now. Thanks guys. Still so many tube piece left!