PDA

View Full Version : Conan O'Brien to take over Tonight Show in 2009

BryanWood
09-27-2004, 06:15 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/27/leno.obrien/

This is great news for any Conan O'Brien fan. Over the years, his show has grown on me and I'm a huge fan. Leno will step down in 2009 and he feels that the timing is right for retirement.

Something tells me that Leno will continue his stand-up act once he retires anyways. He's made no secret that he enjoys interacting with an audience more than talking to celebrities for an hour, he mentioned that on "Inside the Actors Studio".

slipknot8527
09-27-2004, 06:16 PM
YES!!!! Conan finally gets what he deserves.....it's too bad they will probaly make him tone down his show....

I think Jay Leno is untalented and not funny at all....this will be a welcome change.

Carowinds 73-03
09-27-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm happy. I never really liked Leno. I always watched Letterman.

Jimmy B
09-27-2004, 06:22 PM
I used to watch the Tonight Show a lot when Johnny Carson hosted, but then when Leno took over back in 1992, I didn't watch it as much. Not to say Leno was a bad host, but the show just wasn't as enjoyable after Carson's retirement.

Graham
09-27-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm happy to see that Conan is going to be doing it after Leno. My question is... what will replace Conan's show in 2009?

BryanWood
09-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Hopefully not Carson Daly....now there's a talk show host with ZERO talent.

slipknot8527
09-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Carson Daly is alright, considering the budget of his show is about 63 bucks.

Jimmy B
09-27-2004, 07:07 PM
How long have Conan 'O Brien and Craig Kilborn been hosting late night?

Zach
09-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Conan is celebrating his 11th year. Kilbron..eh who cares?

This is awesome news, I just fear Conan's show will get toned down for an older audience.

slipknot8527
09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Um ,Craig Kilborn quit dude...hes no longer the host.

Carowinds 73-03
09-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Maybe Jimmie Kimmel will take conans place. He does have his own show right? Not sure since it does not air in Charlotte or anywhere in NC for that matter.

Jimmy B
09-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Um ,Craig Kilborn quit dude...hes no longer the host.

Has anyone taken Kilborn's place?

Drewbie
09-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Kimmel is on ABC while Conan is on NBC. Not to say it's unheard of for people to jump networks, but I don't see it happening.

I figure they'll do what they did with Conan, take an unknown and give him a shot.

What'd be really cool is if Andy Richter took over for Conan.

Carowinds 73-03
09-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Or Ryan Seacrest. lol

RaptorXLC
09-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Honestly, If the only two talk shows were the Daily Show and Conan, I'd be more then happy.

slipknot8527
09-27-2004, 07:55 PM
So far, only temp. hosts have taken over for Kilborn, though there are some people rumored to take over permanently, including Adam Corolla.

CPdude05
09-27-2004, 07:55 PM
2009? Thats far away. I'll be 18 in 2009. Dang.... I'm glad, Conan is hilarious.

slipknot8527
09-27-2004, 07:57 PM
I'll be 42.

Leo C
09-27-2004, 08:50 PM
I'll enjoy Conan in NYC while it lasts. So much can change in 4 years. Probably Conan will have to get used to a new band, Max will probably be gone.

slipknot8527
09-27-2004, 10:40 PM
please...Conan wouldnt do that...they are best friends.

coasetrphil
09-27-2004, 10:56 PM
I don't think Conan will change anything about his show, except possibly toning it down. It should be the same thing, just with a higher budget.

Leno stinks.

slipknot8527
09-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Rite...There are just things he could never get away with at a primetime slot...

such as the masturbating bear.

pyro
09-27-2004, 11:02 PM
I love Conan's show and am happy to hear this news. It is a shame though that he will have to tone it down. I think Max will stay with the show, at least i hope he does.

BryanWood
09-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Max will stay with the show....Letterman was able to take Paul Shaffer to CBS with him. It's a package deal when it comes to late night shows.

Jimmy B
09-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Conan might have to adjust to a different audience in LA, when he begins hosting the Tonight Show.

By the way, does anyone else remember back when Johnny Carson hosted the Tonight Show along with Ed McMahon?

Nitro1118
09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Is it possible for Conan to stay in NYC? I believe the 1st 2 hosts were in NYC, so why can't Conan? That sexy set that Leno has, with a blue tint instead of orange, would look amazing!

I am so glad for Conan, as I have been a supporter of his, watching every show at 12:30ET and the reruns on Comedy Central almost everyday for 2-3 years now.

coasterlove
09-28-2004, 01:28 AM
By the way, does anyone else remember back when Johnny Carson hosted the Tonight Show along with Ed McMahon?

Yep, I miss ole Jonny. It's a shame he hasn't been around since he stepped down from the Tonight Show. I was hoping that David Letterman would have gotten it back then. I've never really liked Jay Leno. I do like Conan O'Brien and it's cool to hear he'll get to move up. Although I hope his show doesn't suffer from being an hour earlier.

About Carson Daly, I've only seen his show a few times and I thought it was ok, but it's hard to take someone seriously who did TRL.

slipknot8527
09-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Leno made the announcement and it was very classy....I wanted to see what Conan would say on his show but it was a re-run.

Coaster Freak
09-28-2004, 08:49 AM
I can't believe that they are making an anncouncement in 2004 for what willl be happening in 2009!!! No one can gurantee anything 5 years in advance especially in the TV industry. I really think that this is going to backfire somehow and if it doesn't than great.

Drewbie
09-28-2004, 09:32 AM
They announced it now cause Conan was saying that if they didn't do something else, he was gonna look at going elsewhere. He deserved better than the late slot after all his years there and I'm glad to see him get it.

ErioL
09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Or Ryan Seacrest. lol
AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

slipknot8527
09-28-2004, 11:43 AM
The whole point of this announcement was to verify it so nothing happens like it did when Carson left. There was a huge feud between Letterman and Leno on who would get the slot, so Leno is basically saying Conan, you got it, so there will be no question.

Magnum Robert
09-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Too bad the change won't happen sooner. I never cared for Leno.

leeloo1953
09-28-2004, 08:14 PM

Now that actually made me laugh out loud, big time!! Yes I do. Actually I remember watching Johnny in black and white on tv. Even better than that, I remember watching when it was called "The Jack Parr Tonight Show"!! After Jack left, NBC changed the name to "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson. So yeah, I remember Johnny Carson and a hell of a lot more than most members on TN. :leeloo2:

Honestly though, while watching Johnny, which I always did, I saw Leno when he replaced Johnny, and I really didn't like him at all. I haven't watched The Tonight Show since Johnny left. Just didn't like Leno. I do however like Conan, I'll probably check out that first show.

Drewbie
09-28-2004, 08:36 PM
^That's assuming you're still around then. ;)

Jimmy B
09-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Is it possible for Conan to stay in NYC?

I'm not too sure of that. Unless they move the Tonight Show across the country, Conan might have to go Hollywood.

Besides, New York City already has Late Night show with Dave Letterman.

leeloo1953
09-28-2004, 09:22 PM
^That's assuming you're still around then. ;)

Real Funny!! I will get even with you for that one!

No, the Tonight Show will never move to NY. It will always be where it has always been. Trust me on this one you young people!! Moving the Tonight Show to NY would be like moving SNL to Hollywood! Won't happen.

Sparks
09-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Guys, its 2004. Tell me this again in 2009. geeze

sfft_2108
09-28-2004, 09:48 PM
^^^ LMAO. It's gonna take about 5 years to let this settle in you know? Don't you know Brian? LOL. Jay Leno is funny IMO. It's gonna suck not seeing him on the "Tonight Show" anymore. But like Brian said, It's a long ways away. Some of us might remember this thread when it is 2009. Some might not.

Sparks
09-28-2004, 09:55 PM
lol, it will be 2009, ill be like on a roller coaster or sometihng and then all of sudden it will hit me. I remember that one thread on TN, now we can discuss that.

leeloo1953
09-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Jay Leno is funny IMO. It's gonna suck not seeing him on the "Tonight Show" anymore.

Won't suck as much as seeing Leno there instead of Johnny Carson!

coasetrphil
09-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Jay Leno is about as unfunny as a "comic" can get. His show is just really bad. I didn't get to see much of Johnny Carson, but the stuff I have tells me that when Leno came in it must have been absolutely horrible for his fans.

topfueler
09-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Leno should retire now, instead of 2009. He claims he will be too old by then; well I think he's too old now. Look at his salt and pepper hairdue, pick a color dude. His monologues are generally ok, but that's the writers bailing his a** out. He can't interview worth a crap, and always kisses butt to any guest on his show.

I just hope Conan doesn't lose his luster by then.

BryanWood
09-29-2004, 02:43 AM
To clarify some speculation...Daily Variety reported today:

-Conan's final episode in the "12:35" spot is New Year's Eve 2008
-Max Weinberg and the band will also make the jump with Conan
-Conan will move to the Burbank studios and his successor will inherit his studio, which he inherited from Letterman.

Nitro1118
09-29-2004, 04:05 PM
To clarify some speculation...Daily Variety reported today:

-Conan's final episode in the "12:35" spot is New Year's Eve 2008
-Max Weinberg and the band will also make the jump with Conan
-Conan will move to the Burbank studios and his successor will inherit his studio, which he inherited from Letterman.
Where would Burbank studios be?

Drewbie
09-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Probably in Burbank.

Oh, that's in Burbank, California.

Jimmy B
09-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Right next door to Hollywood!

Leo C
09-29-2004, 07:31 PM
I'll have to deal with disconnecting Conan from NYC. The setting plays in with the show, if you ask me.

coasterlove
09-29-2004, 07:45 PM
I remember watching Johnny in black and white on tv.

You remember watching Johnny in what on tv???

leeloo1953
09-30-2004, 02:49 PM
^Very funny young man!! You wouldn't belive the tv shows I grew up watching in black and white and you all now see the repeats in color!! Oh well!!

sfft_2108
01-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Well its 2006. 3 more years!!! Woohooo.

coasterlove
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
This last post brought to you by....

http://www.hormel.com/brands/brandview3.asp?id=2&catitemid=3

sfft_2108
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
SPAM who? 3 more years!!!!

Jay Leno is still cool.

Bencerisback
01-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Leno does a few funny things, but I only watch it to watch Conan afterwards. Conan is histerical, love that guys hair, love it. His entrance alone makes the show, even though its not funny after seeing it the first 10 times it is still great.

sfft_2108
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Well Its just right around the corner!!! Plus Jay is getting his own show on weeknights at 9 CST I believe.

Leo C
12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I saw Conan in NYC before. Jason Bateman, Caroline Rhea, Robert Randolph & the Family Band. I'm glad I got it out of the way before he leaves. Will Triumph Comic Insult Dog ever appear in LA?

slipknot8527
12-13-2008, 09:06 AM
So, now the story is, Leno is staying at NBC but going to the 10:35 timeslot, with Conan at 11:35, and Jimmy Fallon at 12:35.

I think this is good and bad.

Bad, cause I mean, it basically means Conan is still second fiddle.

But good, because I'm guessing he'll get to keep his format fresher and hipper.

Sorry for no links, but it was confirmed on a few sites...look it up.

sfft_2108
12-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Actually it will be airing Monday through Friday, 10-11 p.m./9-10 p.m. CT

Finally found a link JAY LENO COMES TO PRIMETIME ON NBC (http://www.nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc/entertainment-20081209000000-jaylenocomestopr.html)

The Jay Leno Show Will Air Five Nights a Week at 10/9 CT

First-Ever Primetime Stripped Entertainment Program On Broadcast Network Television

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - December 9, 2008 – Jay Leno will host a new comedy/talk show on NBC five nights a week in primetime, beginning in the fall of 2009. The show will originate from Burbank, Calif., and will air Monday through Friday, 10-11 p.m./9-10 p.m. CT. The announcement was made today by Ben Silverman and Marc Graboff, Co-Chairmen, NBC Entertainment and Universal Media Studios. This show will be the first-ever entertainment program to be stripped across primetime on broadcast network television.

"As broadcast television continues to change, success demands a new paradigm," said Jeff Zucker, President and CEO, NBC Universal. "For the past few years, we've been very vocal about two things: Transforming broadcast television for today's media landscape, and keeping Jay at NBC. In this one announcement we have done both. It's great for NBC, for our viewers, and for our advertisers."

"Jay has played a major role in defining NBC's brand of high-quality entertainment," said Silverman. "The 10 o'clock hour will bring Jay a whole new audience and provide a great lead-in both for our local affiliates and for Conan O'Brien, the next great host of The Tonight Show."

"Clearly, today's viewers have an appetite for live, topical programming, and that's what we're bringing to primetime," said Graboff. "This innovative deal plays to NBC's strengths as the late-night leader for more than 14 years. The network will be home to three of the biggest names in TV: Jay, Conan and Jimmy."

"This is the greatest all-star comedy lineup in the history of television," said Rick Ludwin, Executive Vice President, Late Night and Primetime Series, NBC Entertainment. "And it happened because topical comedy is in the DNA of NBC and has been for decades."

Leno will sign off as host of The Tonight Show on May 29, 2009. His new show will showcase many of the features that have made Leno America's late-night leader for more than a dozen years. Signature elements will include his opening monologue and well-known comedy segments "Headlines," "Jaywalking" and "Battle of the Jaywalking All-Stars."

As previously announced, Conan O'Brien will take over The Tonight Show hosting duties on June 1, 2009, broadcasting from the state-of-the-art studio currently under construction on the Universal lot. O'Brien will continue an unmatched late-night legacy that includes Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, and, for the last 16 years, Jay Leno. Jimmy Fallon will assume the role of host of Late Night on March 2, 2009.

Since becoming host of The Tonight Show on May 25, 1992, Leno has experienced numerous highlights, including winning the 1995 Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy, Variety or Music Series. Most recently, Leno was nominated for an Emmy in 2008 for his popular internet show "Jay Leno's Garage," which allows fans a peak into his famous garage by logging on to Jay Leno's Garage (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com). Prior to becoming host of Tonight, Jay had been the exclusive guest host on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson since September 1987. He first appeared as a guest on the show March 2, 1977, and he made numerous additional appearances on Tonight as well as on NBC's former program Late Night with David Letterman.

One of the country's premier comedians, Jay has performed thousands of comedy shows around the United States for the past 20 years. He remains passionate about performing in front of live audiences and appears regularly in Las Vegas, on college campuses around the United States, and in other venues.

Jay has authored two New York Times best-selling children's books and has published four versions of Headlines, the compilation of books and desk calendars featuring his favorite funny newspaper headlines, and Police Blotter, a book with more humorous newspaper clips involving police stories (book proceeds go to various charities).

Jay was represented by his long-time attorney, Ken Ziffren. The show will be produced by Big Dog Productions in association with Universal Media Studios. Debbie Vickers will serve as executive producer.

Leo C
12-13-2008, 06:03 PM
So they were testing the waters with Rosie at 10pm recently with a variety show and she immediately got kicked off near Thanksgiving.

ElBarto
12-14-2008, 10:01 PM
^No crap, its cause Rosie sucks at everything. Except eating.

Not quite sure what I think of the new lineup.

Jimmy Fallon? That's about as bad as Carson Daly. God I can't BELIEVE the nimrods they give TV shows to! Give me the gosh darn slot and I'll make a freakin TV show!

O'Brian will always be my favorite cause he's sorta aimed more at my generation, but he's been watering it down the past couple seasons. I really hope he can keep up the caliber of comedy he's been known for.

Leo C
02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
This is Conan O'Brien's last week before he moves to The Tonight Show in LA. February 20th is the last show in New York. I'll be sure to watch all this week, recalling the show's 16 year run. I have not watched as much in years. My father said to not really mourn his leaving because he'll get paid about $2 million more for his move. It was my father coming home from work and watching Conan that got me interested in the show. I attended my one show with Jason Bateman (Arrested Development), Caroline Rhea, and the Robert Randolph and Family Band. I'll remember Preparation H Raymond, Triumph Comic Insult Dog. My father recalls Amy Phoeler on Conan before she came onto SNL.

Leo C
02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Tonight is the night. It is the Series Finale of Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Come in Andy!

----------
Friday Night 2/20/09 Post Show:
We Did It! I am quite happy right now. There is a feeling of completion from watching the last episode, the series finale of the show. I expected to see Andy and he came on. Thank you Conan. Good Luck in LA.