PDA

View Full Version : Computer questions

Pages : [1] 2

Steven
12-29-2003, 01:04 PM
This is where if you have a computer question, you can ask it here.

Those questions include...
Spyware/Viruses/Trojans/etc. Password protecting ZIP files computer care Differences between Operating Systems Your computer exploding Using it with PDAs PDAs (Palm, PocketPC) File management Programs (Not RCT/RCT2, No Limits, etc.... that can go into SpeedZone)Mind you, none of us (staff or members) can be a tech support service, and if serious enough, we recommend you have it looked at by a professional nearby. There may be multiple causes where it needs a professional to further diagnose the problem and fix it. If your computer is under warranty, and it seems like you are having hardware issues, contact your computer's tech support service.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-04-2004, 05:16 PM
My sister is having a problem with her computer. Whenever she starts up the Windows XP user welcome screen. the mouse is stuck at the center of the screen. I have had this problem before on computers in the past and the solution was to keep restarting it (holding down the power button) and then after a few tires it would work. We have done it many times and I've even replaced the mouse but it won't move. Does anyone have any suggestions? All and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven
01-04-2004, 05:22 PM
It could very well be bad mouse drivers. My advice would be to unplug the mouse (when the computer is off), boot up, remove the mouse drivers, then shut down, hook the mouse back up, then boot up and hopefully let it detect itself. Otherwise, run the new hardware wizard.

If it fails, you might either have something (virus?) preventing its usage, you might have an IRQ conflict (if it's PS/2), or you might have a bad mouse port (again, if it's PS/2).

Coastr Crazy 72
01-04-2004, 05:25 PM
That is a possibility. I will try that. My only doubts -

This is a Dell computer hooked up to a simple Dell Mouse (with scroller). I mean it would be kind of stupid of them to install bad mouse drivers for their own mouse. I'll try it though, and thank you.

Skye
01-04-2004, 06:09 PM
If you need help with mice, i'm a self-taught expert, because i have had so many problems with mice (mostly with getting windows to realise a usb mouse exists and deleting the ps/2). So far everything works!

A myth btw is that you can't have two mice installed (and working) at once. you can - i've tried it. (still only 1 pointer though)

Win xp is a strange problem, because windows should warn you on start-up that it can't find a mouse. If there isn't drivers win should know about it.

Could be a faulty connection. Is it USB, PS/2 or serial?

I think IRQ conflicts are unlikely because they have got that sorted for win xp. It's a problem for 95/98 but xp seems to manage them ok.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Umm i'm not sure. It is purple color coded in a special mouse slot. I'm pretty advanced when it comes to computer but this is a little weird for me.

Kyle L
01-04-2004, 06:50 PM
It's PS/2 then. It could be faulty drivers, but typically mice don't require heavy drivers like other devices. I'm kinda stumped.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-04-2004, 06:54 PM
My only thought right now is to run it in safe mode but I can't imagine how that could help fix it.

Eliminated reasons:

1. bad mouse
2. bad hardware
3. virus

Possibilities:

1. bad drivers

Well from what we have discussed it seems that "bad driver" is the only possibility at the moment. If someone could give me some instructions on how to fix these drivers or get new ones, without using the mouse then maybe it will be fixed?

SFFT_Freak
01-04-2004, 07:11 PM
I also had a problem with the microsoft mice that come with dell.. (Standart Wheel Microsoft Mouse.. cheapest.. usually is distributed with about everything) Actually all of them in that one particular line. They'll die out eventually.. My last one would double click out of no where (I tried everything.. drivers.. settings.. support.) and nothing would fix it.. went out... bought a new mouse.. wala.. problem solved. Till this date I'm in good shape. So if you got some extra cash.. treat yourself to a new mouse.

Kyle L
01-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Also, if you do get a new mouse, I would suggest getting a USB mouse in case the PS/2 port blew out. But I don't think that's the case.

Have you worked out anything yet?

Coastr Crazy 72
01-05-2004, 03:56 PM
No, havn't worked out anythinng yet. I have to get go get another mouse whenever I have time. Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.

I have another question though, I want to get a good video card but I don't want to pay too much. Right now I am using an GeForce4 64mb and I am currently looking at the Radeaon (sp?) 9600 128mb. I think it is only about $150 or something. If I can get a better card then that for under 200 then can someone please point me in the right direction. I'd appreciate any help given, thanks.

Cuddy
01-05-2004, 04:03 PM
I was able to stay under 200 with my 128mb video card. Its a GeForce 4 4800 TI.

I'm in th emarket for a new monitor. The one that I have is a Gateway EV700 17" (16" or so viewable). I am looking for an affordable LCD 17" monitor (under $400) and I heard that prices for these may be dropping near the end of February. If there are any to get or stay away from I would like some assistance as well.

Kyle L
01-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Depends. What kind of Geforece are you running? If it's a TI I would still use it. But, I'm figuring you're buying this card to get better gaming performance. The real trick lies in upgrading multiple ciritcal parts. I know your RAM is nice, but I think your CPU could use a boost. If you use the same Mobo (Socket A Im guesing) Then you could easily get it upgraded from a 1800XP to a 3200XP. That's what I would do. But as for video cards.

Don't limit choices to ATi or nVidia, they both use the same technology and both perform games at the same rate. So don't leave nVidia out. In fact, nVidia releases more drivers than ATi does. (Drivers utalize hardware, the more updated they are, the more utalization you get). The 9600 is nice, but it isn't that big of a leap fron your Geforce. Plus, once you buy a new graphics chip, a company will release a new one. It's annoying!

Anyways, You can get a GeForce FX 5600 or around there for a nice price. And what kinda of gaming do you do? Actually, you can go ahead and IM me. lemonheaterKL. I can give you a few pointers.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-05-2004, 04:08 PM
I was able to stay under 200 with my 128mb video card. Its a GeForce 4 4800 TI.

I'm in th emarket for a new monitor. The one that I have is a Gateway EV700 17" (16" or so viewable). I am looking for an affordable LCD 17" monitor (under $400) and I heard that prices for these may be dropping near the end of February. If there are any to get or stay away from I would like some assistance as well.

I've got the perfect set of monitors for you. Hold on and let me find them and I'll edit them into the post.

Ok here are the best 17" LCD monitors
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,109704,00.asp

Here is the best 15" LCD monitor-
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,109198,00.asp

I have done a lot of research on the 15" monitors and that one is the best there is for a great affordable price. I also had the same exact gateway monitor, except it was a 19". Going from a big screen to a smaller screen like this, is not a big deal at all. I now own a Sony 15" monitor but I don't recommend it. Those Gateway monitors are surprisingly very very good and the next best monitor would be the NEC I showed you.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Sorry for double posting but I just called up the person who made my computer. He explained to me that I actually do have an AMD 2400+ but my BIOS were never resent or something. He didn't actually explain to me how to fix this so I am asking if anyone knows how to do this? Could someone explain?

Kyle L
01-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Sorry for double posting but I just called up the person who made my computer. He explained to me that I actually do have an AMD 2400+ but my BIOS were never resent or something. He didn't actually explain to me how to fix this so I am asking if anyone knows how to do this? Could someone explain?

When you first start up your computer like you normall do, look for a command that says *This Key* To enter setup. Mine is DEL for Delete. Once you enter it, you can setup a bunch of bios things and setups. Look around and then when you find something press "Save" which saves your bios. Keep in mind saving or changing some of this stuff could really mess you over. Make sure you know what you are doing.

birdie311
01-17-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm not the brightest when it comes to computers, so here goes: I have a yahoo mail account. I'm just wondering if I can set it up to use Outlook to use the yahoo account? If I can, how do I go about doing

jimmycoasterman
01-17-2004, 09:28 PM
My problem: I suddenly have a "Hotbar" as a toolbar that opens whenever Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer open. Even if I choose not to view it, its annoying as hell, and just comes back up whenever I open up either explorer again. I think it was caused by Spyware but I don't know. Any suggestions?

Coastr Crazy 72
01-17-2004, 09:34 PM
O god you are in a rough ride Jimmy. Those are the worst and the most annoying problems anyone can ever face on a computer. I used to have surferbar which was very very bad and somehow I got rid of it. Here are my suggestions-

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1063150661

Read the replies I got when I posted my problem. All of those stupid bars are basically the same so the solution I had should be the same for yours.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1062393057

Download what is offered on that page. Those will also help greatly.

Also download Ad-aware from Download.com if it wasn't mentioned on the other sites that I posted. Good luck and hope everything works out.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey guys I need help my very heavily configured laptop. Ok this laptop is a Dell Lattitude (very old version) and runs like crap but I finally got my wireless network up and running on it. It is a laptop my dad brought home from his work with Win XP Pro that is so heavily configured that I even had a very hard time putting in a printer. My friend suggested that these changes to the system were made in the registry and the only reliable way to remove them was to completely format the computer and re-install windows. Here are my problems-

I don't have the re-boot disk to load up everything it will need.
The laptop is soo slow (not a problem I'm just so tired of its slowness)

So I ask if anyone has any other suggestions on what to do or if anyone has any helpful advice on how to go about the formatting. All help would be appreciated.

Kyle Rehm
01-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Well if its really slow, why run XP, 98SE will use less resources, but in turn be less stable, and its really better for older system. Unless this computer has 256 mb of Ram or more, and around a 733 mhz PIII or faster XP should be fine, but if its much slower than that you should look into 98SE... And don't even touch ME... thats just.. well... I won't bother... The best way to reformat is to delete the primary partition, then recreate it. Its one of the best ways to reformat the computer, and get it back into a FAT32 and not NTFS config. And re-installing Windows will make you much happier in the long run, there won't be much you can do in the registry unless you really know what your looking for, so its best to just start fresh.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-21-2004, 10:09 AM
I sort of have to stay with XP. I can't change that much to it.

The laptop has around 128mb DDR ram(might be 256 not sure) and 733mhz PIII.

I'm just looking to format the system and reinstall windows safely. Kyle Rehm could you give me instructions on how to go about your format you suggested?

Steven
01-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Coastr: the best thing to do is...

- Make sure you have all of your drivers for your components (video, sound, modem, network card, motherboard bus drivers, etc.). If not, download them now and get them onto a CD.
- Wipe the partition clean and start over (with one exception... NTFS is a much better, more efficient, more secure file format than FAT32, so stick with NTFS, which is only available on Windows 2000 and XP).
- Stick in the Windows XP CD, and follow the instructions carefully. Select the components you need first (then the ones you want), then install it.

- If you don't have the Windows CD... you're SOL and stuck buying a new full version copy of Windows. I don't, in any way, condone borrowing someone else's CD because of the product activation, plus a) it may not work (Microsoft may reject your product activation attempt using such a method) and b) you put your opportunity of important Windows security updates in jeopardy.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Looks like I'm stuck then, huh? O well. It was worth a shot. Thanks for everyone's help anyway.

Brian P
01-22-2004, 07:21 PM
I am attempting a clean install of Windows XP Home (OEM
Version). The installation gets the the part where it
says 'Installing Network' (the setup says approx. 32
minutes remaining -- it never gets past that). The status
bar gets about 40% or so and just freezes. I've let it set
there for hours and it doesn't move in the slightest.
(Yet the scrolling blue area telling of the features on
the right side of the screen continues on like normal).
I've tried it several times, and even tried it with my
network card removed, yet nothing has worked. Can anyone
please help....any ideas at all? Thank you!!

Brian
FlyInBack@cs.com

Cuddy
01-22-2004, 07:38 PM
FIB, I merged your post with this general thread...

Have you tried looking at Microsoft's site for possible help? I have the XP upgrade (from Windows ME) and everything installed fine.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Yea everything installed fine for me when I upgraded from ME. Like Andrew said, go to Microsoft site and try and get help there. Get a tech number and call because they can help you while you are going through the process.

Carowinds 73-03
01-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Sometimes when i go onto a website and i try to click a link in the site the whole page goes away and i have to enter the site again. This happens like 50 times a day on a number of sites. Even on RCDB & Carowinds Connection. It never happens on TN. Anyone know why it's doing this. Thanks for any help.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-27-2004, 06:32 PM
I'm stumped, but I usually am anyway. Sorry can't help :(

Cuddy
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
If you were stumped, you wouldn't have posted...

As far as Carowinds...check your interent settings. You might have it set so that a new version of the page doesn't load, and instead, you reload the same or non-existant page.

Coastr Crazy 72
01-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Once again I'm stumped Andrew ;) (from what you said about me being stumped)

You might have Pop up blocker stopping most of the sites you are trying to visit, just a guess.

Carowinds 73-03
01-27-2004, 07:38 PM
WooHoo. Thank you so much Andrew. It's fixed now. I had to put up with that for 3 weeks. I should have posted the question weeks ago. Thanks again Andrew.

SFGadvKing
02-04-2004, 08:52 PM
ok i got a problem. every few minutes or so my dvd/cd drive on my latop will pop open. i have NO idea why it happens. its probably the most annoying thing ever so i would love if someone can help me out. also, it just started happening when i downloaded the no-cd rct2 crack but i deleted it and reintsalled rct2 and its still happening. please, i need some help

Coastr Crazy 72
02-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Did you scan for viruses? That might be the problem.

TooTired
02-04-2004, 09:20 PM
I don't know what the cause of this is, and my idea probably won't work, but try uninstalling RCT2, then scan your registry for RCT2 values delete those values but be very careful with what you delete because you can cause some serious damage, also scan for the name of the crack/creator of the crack and delete those values as well. once again be very careful.

Not sure if that will work. If someone can think of something else I'd suggest posting it before he starts screwing with his registry.

Coastr Crazy 72
02-04-2004, 09:26 PM
I remember trying to download the RCT2 no cd patch and I did end up with a virus. Since I have Mcafee running all the time it quickly identified it and got rid of it so I didn't get to see the affects it would have on my computer. I suggest, if you don't have a virusscanner on your computer, you go to Mcafee.com and use their free virus scanner. I don't know if Norton offers one.

TooTired
02-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I remember trying to download the RCT2 no cd patch and I did end up with a virus. Since I have Mcafee running all the time it quickly identified it and got rid of it so I didn't get to see the affects it would have on my computer. I suggest, if you don't have a virusscanner on your computer, you go to Mcafee.com and use their free virus scanner. I don't know if Norton offers one.
In that case forget what I said. And yes, norton offers a free fifteen day trial (saved my ass on more than one occassion) at www.symantec.com

SFGadvKing
02-04-2004, 10:05 PM
well i think the case i solved. i ran a virus scan (a free online one) and i came up with lots of files infected with a so called "backdoor.sdbot" virus. i looked up on this virsu and came up with this: SdBot is a family of backdoor remote, malicious administration software. This family of viruses allows an evil-doer to control victim computers remotely by sending commands via IRC channels. so it looks like i found out what the problem was. i'll be making sure to get rid of this virus immediatly

Coastr Crazy 72
02-04-2004, 10:30 PM
You should consider purchasing a virus scanner. I suggest getting Mcafee. I have had experience with both Mcafee and Norton and I am much more pleased with Mcafee's service and performance.

SFFT_Freak
02-15-2004, 02:13 AM
I have a problem with IE. Every few times I open a new IE it makes two popups (with ads). I have a popup blocker(Google Toolbar) that blocks everything but these two. Ive tried everything. Hijackthis, Adware, Virus Scan, and Spybot Search and destroy. I'm stumped, and they seem to have gotten worse lately. Very annoying. Anyone have any suggestions or a solution?

Steven
02-15-2004, 02:15 AM
It sounds like you have adware that is evading the pop-ups. Keep track of what you've installed over the past several months and uninstall it.

That includes other toolbars (not Google), games, little add-ons, strange programs that they ask you to install, etc.

Coastr Crazy 72
02-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Stop up popper professional at www.download.com is great, you should try that instead. It blocks everything.

SFFT_Freak
02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Yeah so does google.

Coastr Crazy 72
02-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Obviously not if your having problems with a few pop-ups. Just trying to help though.

Cuddy
02-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned your internet settings. Go into IE settings (assuming you are the only user) and set everything to high and prompt on all cookies. That's how I've got things set. I also have Pop-up Stopper (Free Edition), Spybot S&D, Adaware and Norton Anti-Virus 2004. I haven't had any spy/adware in a few days!!

SFFT_Freak
02-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Obviously not if your having problems with a few pop-ups. Just trying to help though.

It blocks popups on websites. My homepage is my own website which I know doesn't have popups, so obviously google is doing it's job.

James R
03-06-2004, 05:25 PM
one thing i notice, is when you are downloading something and installing, ALWAYS read the stuff it says. Companies try and sneak in spy-ware through that. I tried installing an Ad-Aware program and there were at least three other programs that it gave me options to use (and as always default is set to yes!) that were spy-ware programs. I had hotbar once, but you can remove it, although i dont remember how. I also have this sort of IE Bar called: uglggalllea. I have no idea where it came from. Also, always hit ctrl+alt+dlt and see if there are any suspicious proccesses running. I get this WinHost32.exe program running on my comp and i dont know what it is. Can anyone suggest me a good anti-spyware program? Also, McAfee is pretty Reliable but spyware programs get past it. I have the updated, new and improved version of it and yet i still have spyware. Another thing, check your Programs that are installed. Throught he Control Panel, assuming you have windows, click on the add/remove programs. IF you see anything suspicious, remove it! THat stupid gold casino keeps coming back to me! and same goes with www.lop.com. Analog-X has a great pop up stopper : POW!. It works great. But the main thing: Be Careful of whatever you click and whereever you click!

Intamin42
03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Sometimes when I minimize or close out of stuff, it still appears as a frozen image. It isn't really there, it just appears to still be there. Anybody know what casuses this and how to fix it? :(

satanhanx
03-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I am in the process of building a new computer, and here's a question. The mobo I ordered is Asus, a7v8x-x. I have a 5.1 speaker system that I'd like to use, and the mobo says it has onboard 6 channel sound. But, my speaker system has only rca inputs, one rca for each channel. I know the mobo doesn't directly support this, I believe it has a regular headphone jack, and a s/pdif output. Anyone know how I can connect my speakers to it? Feel free to IM satanhanx with any suggestions. Thanks.

Kyle L
03-07-2004, 06:59 PM
All Mobo's (good ones) all have 5.1 configurations. That's 6 channels to be exact. The inputs for most 5.1 configurations are Front-Rear-Center. There are three connectors from your speaker. Okay, here is the tricky part:

The 3 connectors use a different audio jack than it's "real" pourpose. Take a look at the picture I included, you plug the corresponding speaker input into the specefied jack. This will create your 5.1 stereo hookup.

This software I took a picture of is nVidia Soundstorm. I think it comes on every nForce motherboard with onboard sound. Now I use a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, so it's different. So take a look:

Now, you connect the fronts to the Green one. The rear/sub to the blue one, and the center to the red (mic) one. And it should work.

Wait, you just told me a interesting speaker input thingy. Hmmm....you may need to get new speakers or a new sound card, this could be a problem.

Intamin42
03-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Sometimes when I minimize or close out of stuff, it still appears as a frozen image. It isn't really there, it just appears to still be there. Anybody know what casuses this and how to fix it? :(

Anyone? :(

sfft_2108
03-07-2004, 08:31 PM
OK here is a question. I clicked on windows media player and then a pop ip comes and says "can't perform operation, low memory" then i click ok and then another box comes up and says stuff. What do i do. I want to listen to music but is stays that message. I only does it some times. I went to my computer and then i right clicked local disk and selected properties clicked it and it says 32.6 GB left on my computer. What is up with that. Please Help Me.

SFFT_2108

coasterz44
03-07-2004, 09:04 PM
OK here is a question. I clicked on windows media player and then a pop ip comes and says "can't perform operation, low memory" then i click ok and then another box comes up and says stuff. What do i do. I want to listen to music but is stays that message. I only does it some times. I went to my computer and then i right clicked local disk and selected properties clicked it and it says 32.6 GB left on my computer. What is up with that. Please Help Me.

SFFT_2108

It has to do with your RAM usuage, not your disk space. You probrably have to many tasks running in the background. Try pressing "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" ONLY once and see what tasks you have running, and see if you can elminate some of them. You may just also need to get more RAM.

If you're intrested in a program that can help you free up some of the RAM you already have, try clicking here (http://download.com.com/3000-2086-10238480.html?tag=lst-0-4) .

sfft_2108
03-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks Coasterz44 for your help. So i download the RAM thingy now what do i do.

coasterguy1
03-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Well, you may just need some more RAM. How much do you have? I suggest 512, but your computer can run..sort of...on 256. It really depends on what you are running. If you are running AIM, WMP, Unreal 2003 and a firewall, among other things, your computer will die.

Kyle L
03-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Anyone? :(

Well, some of it could be from a cluttered Hard Drive. When you run a program, it's loaded off the Hard Drive. Now, other components of the computer help run the program, but when you minimize it or idle it, the hard drive has to alter the program. The thing that's happening is most likley caused by a few things:

1. Too many programs open at once
2. Not enough memory free
3. Fragmented Hard Drive

You can easily fix this by doing a few things. Close some other programs, set more virtual memory to windows (if needed).

I reccomend Defragmenting your computer first. A really clustered hard drive, is a un-happy hard drive. Go to Start, Acessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. Run it overnight, and it should be workin a lil' faster.

Be sure not to run ANY programs while you defragment. Unless you know what the fragmented files are.

Intamin42
03-08-2004, 09:15 PM
I figured it had to do with the memory, so I rebooted my computer. :)

I guess I will just have to do that every time, and I'll try what you suggested.

You can easily fix this by doing a few things. Close some other programs, set more virtual memory to windows (if needed).

How do I "set more virtual memory to windows?"

Metalhead 777
03-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Hey, I have a massive problem with my CD-ROM drive... I know very little about technical computer stuff so I have no idea what's up with it, so if any of the people on here (steven or somebody) could help me out with this it would be very appreciated.

Here's the problem. The CD-ROM drive doesn't read disks basically, and it does weird stuff, like when I boot up the computer, it opens slightly and closes, and when I put a disk in it and try to take it out it'll open partially and close, and you have to mess around with it for it to work. The computer recognizes the CD-ROM drive though so that isn't the problem. I thought it might just need to be cleaned but I tried the disk drive cleaner thing that came with the computer, and that didn't work. And it can't just be a dirty lense because of the way it opens and closes like that and doesn't respond to the open/close button correctly... Also, I have Windows ME if that's of any importance. If anyone can help me out with this, or if anyone knows what's going on or has any idea what the actual problem is, please let me know.

Mods, I wasn't sure if this should be here or somewhere else. Feel free to move it if you need to...

General Public
03-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Ugh, that sucks. Thought about buying a new one? They're pretty cheap these days, even for fast ones.

Metalhead 777
03-12-2004, 09:52 PM
i've mentioned it to my dad but money's really tight right now and we don't want to buy a new one unless we absolutely have to.

coasetrphil
03-23-2004, 08:07 PM
What is the best pop-up blocker available for a free download. I have been having a lot of problems with spyware pop-ups, and Spybot can't seem to handle them.

DEJA-VU RULES
03-23-2004, 08:13 PM
I would recommend that you download the Google tool bar here is a link.

http://www.toolbar.google.com/

sfft_2108
03-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Everything i try to log off my computer it does not log off the computer screen just turns to my background and no icons are there. Next i have to restart the computer on the tower thing were the cd rom drive is. Can anyone help me.

SFFT_2108

Cuddy
03-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Hey phil, try increasing the securities on IE. This cuts down on spyware and what not. I had it to the point where every site I went to asked if I wanted to "cookie" it or not. I was amazed when weeks went by that I had 0 new pop-ups/spy issues.

DEJA-VU RULES
03-27-2004, 01:58 PM
How do you increase the securities on IE?

Cuddy
03-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I believe this attached picture can help you. Found under TOOLS--->Internet Options.

coasetrphil
03-27-2004, 05:46 PM
What exactly do you suggest setting it to Andrew?

Coastr Crazy 72
04-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey I got a question about memory. I was looking at some laptops and trying to customize um, I came across one that had quite a few options for RAM memory. There were two that caught my eye and I couldn't understand what the difference was between them. Can someone explain to me what the difference is between these two -

512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm

Marc
04-03-2004, 05:28 PM
2 256MB DIMMs Vs. 1 512MB DIMM

Coastr Crazy 72
04-03-2004, 05:29 PM
2 256MB DIMMs Vs. 1 512MB DIMM

Ok I see. Thank you. Now I guess they both would be equivalent in performance and speed right?

Skye
04-03-2004, 05:31 PM
i think thats just the number of slots for expansion. So you can have maybe 4 slots (guess) and 512mb or ram, but that ram might be arranged as 1 512mb (taking 1 slot) or two 256 (taking up 2 slots). I don't know how many laptops have.

Dimm is just modern memory, which can be added in any order (the old design is simms, which had to be added in identical pairs, so you could have 1 8mb or 2x 8mb, but you couldn't have 1 8mb + 1 16mb for example).

Kyle L
04-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Ok I see. Thank you. Now I guess they both would be equivalent in performance and speed right?

What DDR speed is it? There is PC2700 all the way up to PC3500. There's also different tricky things such as "DDR400" (Which is what I have) which is essentially PC3200. Bleh, ok to make it simple, the higher the PC**** DDR RAM speed is, the faster it is.

Also, motherboards will either work better or worse with different configurations. The best (as I know of) is Dual Channel DDR. Which is Slot 1 and Slot 3 for the optimal usage of speed. See if theres something of that essence in the configuration.

Coastr Crazy 72
04-04-2004, 01:46 PM
What DDR speed is it? There is PC2700 all the way up to PC3500. There's also different tricky things such as "DDR400" (Which is what I have) which is essentially PC3200. Bleh, ok to make it simple, the higher the PC**** DDR RAM speed is, the faster it is.

Also, motherboards will either work better or worse with different configurations. The best (as I know of) is Dual Channel DDR. Which is Slot 1 and Slot 3 for the optimal usage of speed. See if theres something of that essence in the configuration.

Well I'm not sure the motherboard. Whichever motherboard Dell likes to use in their inspiron 5150 laptop.

I also don't know what speed it is. I only know the information given.

Chris L
04-04-2004, 04:30 PM
My eMachines computer recently just died out. I was using the word processor and it blanked out and just restarted by itself out of nowhere - and when it gets to the Windows XP thing with that loading bar, it doesn't go to the desktop - it just restarts again. It does it over and over. I'm thinking it's a virus, but I don't know how I can get rid of it without having to erase everything that's already on the hard drive...hundreds of MP3's, school files, porn...

Coastr Crazy 72
04-04-2004, 04:34 PM
My eMachines computer recently just died out. I was using the word processor and it blanked out and just restarted by itself out of nowhere - and when it gets to the Windows XP thing with that loading bar, it doesn't go to the desktop - it just restarts again. It does it over and over. I'm thinking it's a virus, but I don't know how I can get rid of it without having to erase everything that's already on the hard drive...hundreds of MP3's, school files, porn...

I got directions on how to run a virusscan in DOS mode but it is only if you have Mcafee already installed on your computer. If you do have Mcafee then PM me and I will give you the instructions, ok?

Steven
04-04-2004, 04:48 PM
There is no DOS mode in Windows XP (DOS no longer exists in Windows NT/2000/XP, just an emulation of it), and there is no way whatsoever to see the drive in DOS unless the hard drive is formatted FAT32 and you have Win95b/98/ME boot disk. Even if you get to a command line through an XP CD, it's still not DOS. Everything is run through the XP kernel.

he should try to run the system restore or repair utility that should come with his eMachines computer. Try to repair first before wiping clean and starting over.

Coastr Crazy 72
04-04-2004, 05:02 PM
There is no DOS mode in Windows XP (DOS no longer exists in Windows NT/2000/XP, just an emulation of it), and there is no way whatsoever to see the drive in DOS unless the hard drive is formatted FAT32 and you have Win95b/98/ME boot disk. Even if you get to a command line through an XP CD, it's still not DOS. Everything is run through the XP kernel.

he should try to run the system restore or repair utility that should come with his eMachines computer. Try to repair first before wiping clean and starting over.

Ok maybe if it isn't exactly DOS. I think it is actually Safe Mode with Command Prompt but Mcafee refered to it as DOS.

I had a gateway once and anything they tried to help me with only screwed me up even more. Worst service and anything they give you to run is probably crap. But anything is better then just restoring everything. I think a virusscan would be a better first step.

Kraxle if you have Mcafee please PM me. My method does work and it has for me in the past.

Cuddy
04-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Yeah well, this Gateway I have is slowly becoming more of an un-Gateway. SInce I have had it more than 3 years, support is kinda nil, though I was able to fix a few things for their help, I guess.

Here's the deal...I need suggestions on CD Burning software. I am NOT purchasing online, so the next best bets are something I could get from Best Buy, Circuit City, Software Etc (Babbages or whatever name they go by), Wal-Mart, etc.

Jo Scooti
04-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Here's the deal...I need suggestions on CD Burning software. I am NOT purchasing online, so the next best bets are something I could get from Best Buy, Circuit City, Software Etc (Babbages or whatever name they go by), Wal-Mart, etc.

I would suggest getting a copy of NERO 5.5, its very good, and does loadsa fancy stuff.

Kyle L
04-04-2004, 09:33 PM

You can create a MS-DOS boot disk on a floppy. Insert a fresh floppy, go to the tab "Format" and select the box "Create Startup Disk". Insert it upon booting up your computer, and MS-DOS prompt should come up. If it doesn't, there is a problem with your boot order in the BIOS. That's how I got to MSDOS.

longislndny6
04-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi, I just got a new hp laptop and the mouse will automatically move to the x and close my program - I've tried all the anti virus software - any help?

coasetrphil
04-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Should I install all the updates Windows automatically tries to install, or is a lot of that stuff just crap that won't affect me and just take up space on my computer.

Cuddy
04-05-2004, 05:20 PM
I do install them. You can also configure it so that Windows updates when YOU want to. Right-click on MY COMPUTER, proceed to Properties--->Automatic updates. I have it set where it notifies me prior to downloading any updates.

Kyle L
04-05-2004, 09:56 PM
My Professional Service Pack 1 forbids any auto updating. Is this a problem? Can it be fixed?

I won't be too mad if I can't adjust it, you can allways go to the website.

Coastr Crazy 72
04-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey I just have 2 simple questions.

Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (64 mb). Is that a good video card? Will I be able to play some video games like Call of Duty or watch movies with that video card on a laptop (Alienware)?

Intel Pentium 4 1.4Ghz(centrino technology). For my price range, that is the best processor I could customize into the laptop but I need to know if that is good enough for my laptop to run fast and be able to play games and any other stuff I might do on the laptop (Alienware)?

Kyle L
04-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey I just have 2 simple questions.

Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (64 mb). Is that a good video card? Will I be able to play some video games like Call of Duty or watch movies with that video card on a laptop (Alienware)?

Intel Pentium 4 1.4Ghz(centrino technology). For my price range, that is the best processor I could customize into the laptop but I need to know if that is good enough for my laptop to run fast and be able to play games and any other stuff I might do on the laptop (Alienware)?

Intel Graphics will not work with anything. And if it does, you will get insanley horrible results. If this isn't your gaming machine you should be okay. It should play videos, but don't expect ANY games to be playable on it.

The centrino is nice, but it's more of if itll last in a few years.

bk2004
04-07-2004, 07:19 PM
I have Outlook Express as my e-mail server and I have been getting this e-mail from them lately saying this...

Quota exceeded for cp1870@access4less.net 5178532+5174869>5000000

This message is an automatic warning that you need to reduce disk usage
you should read and delete messages from your inbox or other folders.
You may also need to empty your trash and/or delete messages in your
sent or spam folders.

When I get mail, I read it then delete it. When I delete it, I delete it again out of my 'Deleted Items' folder. There is no messages in any of my folders, except 3 that are in my 'Saved Mail' category. Paramount's Carowinds Newsletter #1, #2, & #3. Besides those three, that's it! I don't see why I am getting this message because clearly I am harldy taking up any space.

Steven
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
You need to go to your ISP and discuss that with them. Check to see if you are leaving messages on your server if you're using Outlook Express. Go to Tools > Accounts > <Your access4less.net account settings> (click properties) > Advanced Tab > See if "Leave a copy of messages on the server" is checked or not. If it is, uncheck it. Then you need to see if your ISP has webmail and clear it. Otherwise, you will need to call their technical support and have them empty your mailbox or see if they have tools where you can do that yourself online.

It really doesn't matter what you have on your home computer, it's on the ISP's servers.

That is the definitive answer. Why? I work for XO Communications (http://www.xo.com/), which has the Concentric Dial-Up Internet Service (http://www.concentric.net/) as well as shared/dedicated hosting, and I get about 2-5 calls concerning quota overages because of e-mail per day.

Chris L
04-07-2004, 09:30 PM

That's the problem. :o All the materials that came with the computer were tossed out by my mother. So I don't have anything to work with at home. And I tried CoasterCrazy's suggestions given through PM and it still doesn't change the weird acting up with the computer. I called Best Buy and just having them diagnose the problem comes close to $40 for half an hour's time spent and then the actual repair is another $50. I don't want to spend that kind of money just to remove a virus (or so I think it is). :sadface:

coasterz44
04-07-2004, 09:44 PM
That's the problem. All the materials that came with the computer were tossed out by my mother. So I don't have anything to work with at home. And I tried CoasterCrazy's suggestions given through PM and it still doesn't change the weird acting up with the computer. I called Best Buy and just having them diagnose the problem comes close to $40 for half an hour's time spent and then the actual repair is another $50. I don't want to spend that kind of money just to remove a virus (or so I think it is).

What model emachine do you have? Because I have an emachine too. (Model: S2482). I still have the restore discs, so If you have the same model, or if you or anyone esle knows if the restore discs will work with your model, send me a PM, and I'll find a way to get a copy of the dics to you... if you want them.

bk2004
04-08-2004, 09:12 PM
You need to go to your ISP and discuss that with them. Check to see if you are leaving messages on your server if you're using Outlook Express. Go to Tools > Accounts > <Your access4less.net account settings> (click properties) > Advanced Tab > See if "Leave a copy of messages on the server" is checked or not. If it is, uncheck it. Then you need to see if your ISP has webmail and clear it. Otherwise, you will need to call their technical support and have them empty your mailbox or see if they have tools where you can do that yourself online.

It really doesn't matter what you have on your home computer, it's on the ISP's servers.

Thanks. I did what you said and look to see if the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" is checked or not. Well, it wasn't, so I am going to have to call the ISP webmaster anyways. :( Thanks though.

Oh yeah, I got the message again today. :eek: :rolleyes:

Intamin42
04-15-2004, 06:06 PM
I have a laptop, and I can't decide if it's better to leave it on almost 24/7 or turn it off/on, off/on, off/on, etc. What is better for it? Can laptops be left on as long and treated like a desktop?

Coastr Crazy 72
04-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Yea I was actually wondering that also. My laptop should be here soon and I needed to know that. Here is a link to helpful information about batteries and laptops that I found. It doesn't answer the question directly but maybe it can help you figure out an answer.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3121_7-5127099-5.html?tag=prmo1

At the bottom of that page is a link to more battery information that could be helpful. It is labeled "How Battery Works"

coaster_kid89
04-15-2004, 06:24 PM
I belive with laptops it matters what computer you got. For example... I have A VPR Matrix laptop. It was shown as a desktop replacement and is made to withstand long running times. Now with an inch thick 15 inch wide-screen, it has a nice fan and a better vent system. With the new thinner computers they might not be able to take the heat and stress with 48-72+hour running span.

Intamin42
04-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Mine is a Dell Ispiron 1100 and it, too, was described as a desktop replacement. So I guess it is ok to leave it on for a few days?

Thebigfishy
04-17-2004, 03:37 AM
hey i have a dell and when i turn it on and then click on my name to login it takes about 7 minutes when it should only take 30 secons at the most and everything else runs superfast. its also not an old computer so could someon help me

Coastr Crazy 72
04-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Could be something wrong with XP but you might also be loading a crap load of stuff when you sign onto your name.

sfft_2108
04-22-2004, 06:45 PM
3D accelerated video card with at least 16 MB Video-RAM
Ok Folks, i need this to play run the simulator in no-limits. So i don't know anything about this. So am i like suppose to download this or is it suppose to come with my computer. I have no idea.

SoSweet
04-23-2004, 12:24 AM
It is a computer component and a very small one at that. It is something that is plugged into or is an integrated part of you computer mother board.

If you would like to know what your sytem has and the health of each component I found a very nice utility.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It will analyze your computer components and even give you a run down of all the software and its versions installed in your computer. Really nice little free utility give it a try.

When I first got it it told me one of the hard drives I had was going out and I was able to get everything out before it crashed.

And it is free.

EDIT: OOPs!! Sorry about that guys my bad

sfft_2108
04-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks, but the link doesn't work. Can you re link me to the website or something like that.

CardShark
04-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Remove one of the http://'s :D

sfft_2108
04-23-2004, 07:58 PM
oh ok, lol i didn't see that. SILLY ME. lol

OK now that I downloaded this program. What am i looking for. I don't know where to go next. I went to the website that has all the stuff on you computer. SO what do i need to look for.

Cuddy
04-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Well, I am within a week of getting my new system.

MoBo (http://www.legendmicro.com/store/more_info.asp?OpenTreeBranches=&Product_ID=3156&Category_ID=375)
with 512 MB Ram (PC2100), AMD Athalon XP 2400 Processor (2.0 GHz)
with this case (http://www.legendmicro.com/store/more_info.asp?OpenTreeBranches=&Product_ID=3379&Category_ID=46).

Add in Windows XP Home and retail for this badboy will be a mere $443 out of pocket.

Kyle L
04-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Using the parts I reccomended huh there Andrew :)

I am also ordering my Radeon 9800 Pro (or XT) sometime soon. Hooray!

So therefore, my old video card is for sale, again.

SoSweet
04-24-2004, 04:42 AM
Once you download the program simply open it. It will install itself, build a profile and then a webpage will open with all your components, updates you have installed as well as the programs and the version numbers you have. The area that specifially deals with the kind of graphics card you have is found in the display area. You will get the information about the manufacturer and modle. Go to the webpage for the manufacturer to get specs on it.

This is what is listed in mine for example.

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 [Display adapter]

If your not sure where to look for your manufacturer, simply paste what appears in that area to Google and you should be able to go right to it.

Your right there is a ton of information provided to you in that page. But it is also very intersting info. Just a bit of FYI this information is not collected and uploaded to the site. See the privacy notice.

Skye
04-24-2004, 07:17 AM
3D accelerated video card with at least 16 MB Video-RAM
Ok Folks, i need this to play run the simulator in no-limits. So i don't know anything about this. So am i like suppose to download this or is it suppose to come with my computer. I have no idea.

easier to run dxdiag

srat->run-> dxdiag

that'll tell you what you have. the card is the video card, and i think it needs to support opengl for no limits to run (most do but there are some old cheap cards still that aren't very good that were given away with pcs).

If you have a built in card (like that intel, previous page), first make sure you buy something good like a geforce 4 or later, then disable the onboard card through bios on startup.

satanhanx
04-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Kyle, what's your old vid card? My friend is looking for a new one, and he might be interested.

sfft_2108
04-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Well, mine is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 so since yours is a 5200 and mine is only 420 i think our problem is right there. So am i suppose to buy this or what. I have no clue what to do. Thanks for the help sosweet.

SoSweet
04-24-2004, 10:07 AM
According to the info on your card

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4mx.html

This card should run what you are looking to do. You my want to download the latest drivers if you seem to be having problems.

Those can be found here

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Use the wizard to get the drivers for your operating sytem.

If you decide you wish to upgrade to a different card their are several site that offer them at excellent prices.

Personally I like Nvidia. I have had nothing but problems with ATI drivers in XP. Chronic problem they have.

Installing them is extremely easy. You do need to make sure your mother board will handle it though.

SoSweet

Kyle L
04-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Hey Kyle, what's your old vid card? My friend is looking for a new one, and he might be interested.

It's a AOpen nVidia GeForce FX 5200.

Right now I am OCing it to Ultra settings because I have extra coolage running and it's doing fine.

So you can IM me or E-Mail me about it.

And as of drivers for nVidia cards, nVidia just released a new driver April 1st, 2004. You can get it at: www.nvidia.com
For ATi users, ATi released new Catalyst Drivers, you can get them at: www.ati.com

SoSweet
04-24-2004, 06:03 PM
easier to run dxdiag

srat->run-> dxdiag

that'll tell you what you have. the card is the video card, and i think it needs to support opengl for no limits to run (most do but there are some old cheap cards still that aren't very good that were given away with pcs).

If you have a built in card (like that intel, previous page), first make sure you buy something good like a geforce 4 or later, then disable the onboard card through bios on startup.I couldn't agree with you more but unfortunately alot of the people in general don't know how to do this let alone remember the commands they need to run.

The tool (Belarc Advisor) I suggested makes it easier for those who are relatively new to computers. For those who are more advanced it is a great tool for finding out component health. When the profile is built all components from the mother board on down are tested and it alerts you to weaknesses and potential problems. It alerted me to a weakness in a hard drive and it told a friend of mine about an impending failure of the old mother board she had in her old computer. She made sure she kept everything backed up and about a month later the motherboard did fail completely.

Lastly it also gives a very complete and easy to read list of all software including version number installed in your machine including windows updates.

sfft_2108
04-25-2004, 06:57 PM
OK, is there a way to fully delete files. I have some files that i don't want on my computer anymore. I right click them and then click delete. Then they are sent to the recyle bin. Then i empty It. When i restart my computer, the files were back on the computer. Does anyone know any programs, that can permantly delete the file? I know on the show "Call For Help" on Tech Tv they had a program that can delete the files permantly but i searched the site and i couldn't find it. So if you would help me out here. Thanks.

Kyle L
04-25-2004, 11:04 PM
It could be a virus, I would try booting the computer in safe mode, and then trying to delete the files. That SHOULD work because Safe Mode is well....safe.

And speaking of PC's, I just ordered my video card today! Yahoo!

It's a: Gainward nVidia GeForce FX 5900XT

sfft_2108
04-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Yeah, i was talking to some people on this site on aim, which i like now and i think it is better than msn. Well it is a bunch of porn files, with some other files like how to crack a system and they are all ms dos files, also there is a bunch of other radom files.So let me try to delete the files in safe mode and see what happends.

sfft_2108
04-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Ok i just recently downloaded MSN 9.0 and installed it. The first time i use 9.0 it worked fine. The next time it wouldn't sign in. OK i click on the little MSN icon on my desktop. MSN sign in comes up. I click on my user name. Then type in my password then click sign in. Ok MSN doesn't sign in. Ok i close out of the sign in screen. Now i hear the internet dialing up. There is no sign in screen and that. Ok then when it finishes dialing up, the sign in screen come up. Then i click on my s/n and then i am able to get online. Is there a way to fix this problem. Thanks

Steven
04-26-2004, 10:15 PM
MSN support. That's definately a software issue.

sfft_2108
04-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Wait, i am lost. So is that a good thing or bad thing. ^^^^

Sparks
04-29-2004, 12:02 AM
Hey! If anyone needs a good program to get rid of spyware and adware go to www.download.com (http://www.download.com) and download ad-aware 6.0 I think its called that but im not sure. Its really good

coasetrphil
04-29-2004, 08:15 PM
My computer has all of a sudden gotten really slow. On the bottom it says that my Virtual Memory is low, but I know that I have plenty of RAM and hard drive space left so that doesn't make any sense. Do you guys have any suggestions?

CoasterJunkie
04-29-2004, 08:19 PM
It's Adware and Spyware that's slowing you down. They run in the background and eat up memory pretty quick. The easy way to get rid of it is to download a program like Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy. These will find the programs and get rid of them for you. The hard way is to do it yourself by looking for the programs or getting into the task manager and ending anything that you don't want running.

I recommend the easy way.

sfft_2108
04-29-2004, 08:33 PM
OK, can some one please help me out on my computer problem, it sucks so bad. Here is my problem again. Ok i just recently downloaded MSN 9.0 and installed it. The first time i use 9.0 it worked fine. The next time it wouldn't sign in. OK i click on the little MSN icon on my desktop. MSN sign in comes up. I click on my user name. Then type in my password then click sign in. Ok MSN doesn't sign in. Ok i close out of the sign in screen. Now i hear the internet dialing up. There is no sign in screen and that. Ok then when it finishes dialing up, the sign in screen come up. Then i click on my s/n and then i am able to get online. Is there a way to fix this problem. Thanks

coasetrphil
04-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Alright, I ran Ad-Aware and it found a lot of stuff that Spybot had missed so things are moving faster now.

I have another problem though, I am unable to unistall MS Flight Simulator 2004. When I got to the Add/Remove programs and click Remove nothing happens. That program eats up a huge amount of space so I would really like to get rid of it.

CoasterJunkie
04-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Have you uninstalled it before? If so, it could just be a registry problem, in which case don't worry about it. If you went in and deleted files manually, that could be it and again, the registry isn't up to date so don't worry about it.

Double check the files and make sure they are gone. If they are not gone, look for an uninstall or modification program specifically for FS2004 in the games directory. If all else fails, manually delete everything.

Sparks
04-29-2004, 11:26 PM
If your computer is slowing down another good thing is to go to start. Then run and then type in msconfig. Somethign well pop up. On the thing that pops up click the last tab and you well see like 40 or so thing swith boxs checked some may not be checked. Click the button that says disable all or soemthing like becasue that will make it so you don't have 40 programs all running at the same time. If you think this bad becasue it is stopiong all tyeprograms it isn't becasue most of the programs that are very important you cant turn off and the ones that the computer needs to run will automatically become cehcked again

Kyle L
04-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Alright, I ran Ad-Aware and it found a lot of stuff that Spybot had missed so things are moving faster now.

I have another problem though, I am unable to unistall MS Flight Simulator 2004. When I got to the Add/Remove programs and click Remove nothing happens. That program eats up a huge amount of space so I would really like to get rid of it.

Two Options:

A. Use the programs un-install, this most likley won't work.
B. Remove game files, then go to Add/Remove Programs, and it will remove the registry. Although sorta not "exactly" what to do.

You can try these also:
Insert the MS Flight Disc, and click install, then try the Repair option.

I also saw this program that does force remove, I saw it on the screen savers.

Not sure what to do though, you COULD try those.

coasetrphil
04-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Alright, I scanned my computer for viruses using this program off the web, and it found stuff. I was wondering if any of the anti-virus software programs have a free trial or anything so I can get rid of the stuff now.

General Public
04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Phil, how long has it been since you've wiped your HD? Itmay be time for a reinstall of Windows.

Also, there are 3 (free) programs you should have to combat spyware on your computer. The first two have been mentioned, AdAware and Spybot. The third is called SpySweeper, and unlike the other two, it can run as an application to block spyware instead of you having to wait until you get it to remove it. You can also scan your comp for spyware with it. I've found that with those 3 programs, I can get ride of pretty much all the spy crap off my system, as each one will find stuff the other two didn't.

As for anti-virus software, go to a computer store and buy Norton Anti-Virus. It's about 40 bux, but so worth that price. IMO it's way better than McAfee virus scanning software. What's more, that includes a year long subscription to Norton's virus database, so you can continually update and protect your system against that stuff. After a year, I think the renewal price is 10 or 15 dollars, pretty nominal.

coasetrphil
04-30-2004, 07:15 PM
I haven't wiped my hard drive before, but my computer isn't really that old.

What site do I go to, to download Spysweeper?

I got a 15 day trial of Norton, and when my dad gets home from his business trip Monday I will get him to buy the full version.

General Public
04-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Norton is really worth the 40 bux, so don't hesitate to get it. Just be sure to update the virus definition about every week or so once you install it.

I got all three programs from download.com. Just search for "spysweeper" on the main page.

Sparks
04-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Ya I have all those 3 programs. I like them. Another reason is that you may have to many programs running at one time

Cuddy
05-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Norton is great and all, but I have a slight problem. It was installed on this current harddrive, then got removed. I am now trying to reinstall it and I having absolutely no luck in doing so. I get about halfway through the installation, then it tells me the installation has failed. So you can see my dilemma. I wonder if there might be hidden Norton files on my computer that I haven't deleted and if there could be an easy way of checking and doing so. I'd really hate to buy a new version of Norton though.

General Public
05-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Scan your HD, then run a disk cleanup, then defrag it. Maybe that will help--but I can't promise it will.

sfft_2108
05-07-2004, 10:33 PM
How often should you run Defag? If you run it to much is that bad?

General Public
05-07-2004, 11:23 PM
There is no correct answer to that question. A lot of computer-intensive people have their system defrag every night. Other people do it every week, month, couple of months, etc. I personally run it about once a month.

You can't run it too much. Defrag doesn't alter your data, it only relocates it to avoid chopped up, or fragmented, files.

Sparks
05-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Andrew if your looking for nortain thing. The same thing happened to me. You are proably not going to get it to work again. You can thoguh if you downlaod music, go there and search for it, but they won't comewitrh the updates. Or just search in good like free nortain antivirus or something like that you might find it. You can also borrow someone elses cd for nortain antivirus. If they have it and then just get a new cd key. That's really easy to get. That's what I would do if you don't want to but it again. If you do end up buying it again though, get the cd ass well so you always have it in case you remove it. The cde costs like 10 dollars extra, but it's worth it.

sfft_2108
05-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Is there a way to copy songs easier to a cd at a higher speed than what it is a now. Right now it is going about 10% a minute. It you to be real fast but all of a sudden it has been slow and another question. Is there a possible way to fit more songs on a cd (normally 16-20). I hate to have so many cd for all of my songs. This is for backup use only.

Sparks
05-08-2004, 08:24 PM
sfft_2108 If you are trying to wright songs onto a CD and it's goign realy slow, it is proably the CD type, or if you computer is slow, it will proably wright slower. Also what are you trying to right on the CD with? Sometimes when you are using different things to make cds withs, like windows media player, or something like that they go slower. It depends on the program sometimes as well. The answer to your second question is yes, but you have to put them onto a blank dvd, or I think there is a way to make your songs smaller and be able to put a lot onto a regular cd. But i'm not sure.

I also have a question: Does anyone know a program to take parts out of songs or videos, like if you were trying to edit them? I mostly want to edit a video though.

kermat13
05-18-2004, 07:55 PM
I was told that Macs don't get virsuses--is this true? What else is good about a Mac. What drawback does a Mac have over a windows based computer?

sfft_2108
05-18-2004, 07:57 PM
You might want to talk bout this is in the "Computer Question" Topic over in the media discussion.

http://thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=28751

sfft_2108
05-18-2004, 08:04 PM
OK i got my latest computer problem. OK i have windows xp and all. Then all of a sudden this came up.

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now.

Ok for this to go away i put in the cd that is suppose to go in. Then windows xp setup comes up. What is up with that. Is like some one hacking my computer or what.

Natelox
05-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Mac has huge advantages over Windows. First, it is incredibly stable (OS X) and will probably never crash in your life time. OS X is much easier to use, more simple and overall a nicer operating system to use. Mac's are very fast, faster than almost all the PC's out there. They also have superior styling. About the virus comment, the percent of people with Windows-based operating systems greatly outnumber the number of Mac users, so any who creates viruses will want to piss-off as many people as they can, so there are hardly any viruses made for Macs. Here (http://www.apple.com/switch/whyswitch/) is a link to the top 10 reasons to switch.

The only problem with Apple is the lack of games for their operating system. However, you can get Virtual PC, a program that mimics a PC and allows you to run any PC based program on your computer.

I will buy a Mac, once I have a job :)
It's definetly worth it!

Jill Anne
05-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Okay first virtual PC doesn't run *everything,* so don't assume it does.
I have a PC and an iMac. My iMac does all my websurfing, video editing, web publishing, and multimedia authoring. It's far far better than that. Once I installed some extra RAM, it runs Photoshop, Indesign, Director, iChat, iMovie, and iPhoto simultaneously without any sort of noticeable slowdown.
Macs can't catch the same viruses PC's do because they don't run exe files. Aside from that, few people are real interested in writing a worm or virus to target mac users. It can be done, just isn't done real often, which makes you a lot safer than other users.
I use my PC for gaming, mainly. I've got a P4 2.8 GHz machine, with various other nice hardware.
No matter which you go with, I highly recommend getting iTunes to play mp3s. You can get a legal free one from the mac music store every week if you aren't into buying (I admit it, I like the legal music store better than the illegal varieties now). I've also got my iPod now, and it works well with both the PC and the iMac.
Macs *do* crash. I had mine for a year and a half before I had to format it, but when iLife 04 came out for some reason the installation really screwed up my computer. I could no longer install anything else, and it was annoying to say the least. I had to format, but backed everything up first (like my library files) so system restore was a cinch.
Macs are "worth it" depending on what you do with a computer. So that's what I'll ask you: what are you looking for your computer to do?
~Jill

SFFT_Freak
05-18-2004, 08:32 PM
I have also had a Mac crash, and I will never buy one again. The support was terrible, they had no clue what happened and would not provide a solution for the time being. I returned it; won't buy one ever again.

TopGun77
05-18-2004, 08:37 PM
I'll merge this with the computer questions thread...

Sparks
05-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know a way to save dvds to your computer? So you don't need the dvds you could just watch it without.

On the macs crashing, my class all got macs. Sometimes I have seen them freeze or crash. So, it is possible.

Kyle L
05-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know a way to save dvds to your computer? So you don't need the dvds you could just watch it without.

On the macs crashing, my class all got macs. Sometimes I have seen them freeze or crash. So, it is possible.

Yes you can, it is called DVD2SVCD. You can get it at: www.dvd2svcd.org (I think, I will correct link if needed)

It's a fairly complicated program if you are a basic computer user. But I gotta be very informative about this program.

This program=sketchy. Not for the fact that it isn't illegal or anything, it is just you need to know what you are doing. You simply cannot click a button. You need the following for it to work:
Avrisynth Codec's
TMPEG or any other popular compatible encoder
AVI 2 MPG- Comes with DVD2SVCD
Daemon Tools- To view the .bin files.

To sum it up: The program takes anywhere from 12 hours to 24 of non obstructed computer usage. Yes, 24 hours is a possibility. You need a hefty PC setup in order to encode properly:
OVER 2 ghz Pentium 4
LOADS of Hard Drive space (Each DVD saves .vob files of 1 gb per each vob file, there can be up to 9, and HD space for bin and MPEG finish. That will take about 1 GB)
High Speed DVD ROM-At least 16X to encode swiftly.

It is a very complicated program, I do not suggest using it if you are new to it. You can ask me some questions, I know something about it. It takes a long time as well.
Note: This is the ONLY sucessful DVD Ripping program just so you know.

Sparks
05-18-2004, 09:30 PM
ok, I am not that basic, I know quite a lot. I could proably figure it out. Are you sure it's the only one though? Im just wandering.

coasterz44
05-18-2004, 09:36 PM
OK i got my latest computer problem. OK i have windows xp and all. Then all of a sudden this came up.

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM now.

Ok for this to go away i put in the cd that is suppose to go in. Then windows xp setup comes up. What is up with that. Is like some one hacking my computer or what.

No one is hacking your computer. The setup comes up because you put the Windows XP Home Edition setup CD in the drive just like it told you. Try re-installing windows with the setup screen. It should fix all your problems.

sfft_2108
05-18-2004, 09:42 PM
No one is hacking your computer. The setup comes up because you put the Windows XP Home Edition setup CD in the drive just like it told you. Try re-installing windows with the setup screen. It should fix all your problems.

No, i didn't put the CD in the drive. That message i said all of a sudden came up. I didn't put the CD in the drive before the message came up. I put the cd in the drive AFTER the message came up. Then the setup begans. Since i have already installed xp. I just close the program. Last time i ran the setup up like it said, and then the same stuff happens. So i just leave the cd in. But when i restart the computer like it doesn't restart. So i have to restart it manualy and then like the computer gets all screwed up. So i have to reinstall xp. Did that clear things up.

Sparks
05-18-2004, 09:42 PM
sfft_2108. that same thing happened to me only it wanted a different cd. What you did was you unistalled something that you shouldn't have, either you did it on purpose or it happen by accident. All you have to do is insert the right cd. If you don't know which one is the right one, call Dell or whatever your company is and ask them which cd to put in.

sfft_2108
05-18-2004, 09:51 PM
sfft_2108. that same thing happened to me only it wanted a different cd. What you did was you unistalled something that you shouldn't have, either you did it on purpose or it happen by accident. All you have to do is insert the right cd. If you don't know which one is the right one, call Dell or whatever your company is and ask them which cd to put in.
Hey thanks for the advice, I might need to call Dell, here in a little bit. Wait how do you know i have a dell computer or did you just assume i did. LOL. Freaky. This is the first time it has happend to me. It is very strange. And again thanks for the advice.

Sparks
05-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey thanks for the advice, I might need to call Dell, here in a little bit. Wait how do you know i have a dell computer or did you just assume i did. LOL. Freaky. This is the first time it has happend to me. It is very strange. And again thanks for the advice.

Most XPs that people own are dell. It was just a guess. lol, but it was freaky.

Kyle L
05-18-2004, 10:06 PM
ok, I am not that basic, I know quite a lot. I could proably figure it out. Are you sure it's the only one though? Im just wandering.

The only decent one that gets the audio and video codecs done correctly.

Sparks
05-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Does anyone know how to make files smaller? Like if you have a video or file or whatever and it's 200MB. Is there a way to get it down to 100MB or smaller?

Graham
05-23-2004, 04:19 PM
You can zip the file. Try downloading a program like WinZip.

Sparks
05-23-2004, 04:47 PM
I used winrar and got it to work.

AllYourBase887
05-25-2004, 06:49 PM
i clicked on a link in someone's AIM away message and now that same away message keeps popping up whenever my computer is on. even when im not even on AIM, a box pops up saying "the link you have clicked cannot open, you must be connected to the internet" and when i mean keeps popping up, i mean every 20 seconds and its annoying the hell out of me. the away message says this: "ITS HERE http://www.cbcica.org/shrek2.scr !" (dont click the link). if anyone has any idea how to stop this from happening, PLEASE let me know. any help would be appreciated.

Cuddy
05-25-2004, 07:08 PM
I believe that the person needs to take that off their profile/away message, and perhaps you both should run anti-virus.

AllYourBase887
05-25-2004, 07:12 PM
its not like its in the profile, its an away message that pops up every 30 seconds. even if you click "im back" or anything, it comes back 30 seconds later.

General Public
05-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Sounds like spyware, download Ad-Aware and Spybot: Search & Destroy. That should get it out.

Kyle L
05-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know how to make files smaller? Like if you have a video or file or whatever and it's 200MB. Is there a way to get it down to 100MB or smaller?

You can use various video compressors without zipping them.

What is the format right now? Compressing it to avi can save a bundle of space.

Sparks
05-25-2004, 10:47 PM
I figured it out, but it takes so long. It took me so long to do because I was making it so I could play it on a mac and make it smaller, but I finally did it.

Skye
05-28-2004, 01:21 PM
still trying zipping a video, becasue the compression is very different. the zip file dosn't know its a video, it just looks for repeated information. so a zip file might save a tiny bit extra of space (as well as useing a video compression format), although of course it takes time to decompress, but 100mb shouldn't be too bad. just try it if you need every bit of space......

Sparks
05-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Skye, for the zipping, is there a specific program you think is better?

Kyle L
05-31-2004, 01:10 AM
I am currently having a port problem with Unreal Tournament 2004. It won't connect online, where is what I have changed recently:

Ok so heres the deal. I recently installed a Firewall application so ensure my security on the internet. Before I start up UT 2004 to play online, I turn OFF the firewall and attempt to play, only thing is that I cannot connect. I tried uninstalling the entire program, rebooting, then trying to connect online, and it STILL doesn't happen.

I talked to a few of my friends and they said that it is a problem with my ports. I have a port menu in my Firewall program, and I was wondering if there is a specific port that UT 2004 uses. I think it's the ports because I can connect with Tribes and a few other games. So can anyone please help me?

sfft_2108
06-02-2004, 10:50 AM
MEMORY. Is there a way to check out what my computer is using all my memory on. I ran a disk defrag and it says i have 72% of free space. I should have way more than that. I have no computer games installed, like only 4 programs installed (msn messenger, aim and 2 others). So what is the deal. Is their like programs i have that i don't know of. This is really makin me made because my computer is running slow and there is no need to either. Plus it is only 1 1/2 years old. So that is BS. So can any one help me out here. Thanks

Sparks
06-02-2004, 11:21 PM
If you go to your control panel and go to add-remove programs. Then you can see all the programs you have and you can see how big each one is. Also if you have a music download thing, that makes computers really slow. You can also press control, alt, delete and click on processs. If you have more then 40, that's way to much. Go to start then press run, then type in msconfig. It should bring up something. On the thing that pops up click on the last tab and if you see a lot of boxes checked, that could be your problem. Press the disable all button. All will become unchecked, then restart your computer. Check all these things and then see what happens.

sfft_2108
06-03-2004, 01:05 AM
OK, like i said i have 4 programs in all installed. AIM, MSN messenger and 2 others. I have like less than 10 programs in the Task Manager. SO i don't know what the problem is.

Sparks
06-03-2004, 01:10 AM
That's very good. You proably have a virus, Do you havea virus scanner?

sfft_2108
06-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Nope, it always seems to screw up my computer. So i use to have Northon and Ad-Aware or what ever. But i do recall having the Worm Blaster virus. My mom ex boy friend fixed it, but by then and now i have reinstalled windows xp like 50. I am not lieing either. To fix the virus i jsut turn off the RPC thingy. I tell it to restart the service and everything seems all right.

Sparks
06-03-2004, 01:22 AM
That might be your problem, it's proably bad if you keep doing that. You still my have a virus or something, if you don't have the virus scanner up and running you should just install it again and run it. Also, maybe you computer is just screwed up. If still have a warenty trade it back for another one.

coasterz44
06-03-2004, 01:40 AM
MEMORY. Is there a way to check out what my computer is using all my memory on. I ran a disk defrag and it says i have 72% of free space. I should have way more than that. I have no computer games installed, like only 4 programs installed (msn messenger, aim and 2 others). So what is the deal. Is their like programs i have that i don't know of. This is really makin me made because my computer is running slow and there is no need to either. Plus it is only 1 1/2 years old. So that is BS. So can any one help me out here. Thanks

First of all, how much memory does your computer have? If it's over one and a half years old, it probably doesn't have much. Also, how fast is your processor? It's probably not a virus making your computer run slow, because a virus isn't created just to slow you down. And if your computer is one and a half years old, I doubt it's defective. You probably just have a lot of un-needed services running, and a lot of pointless startup programs that run when your computer starts up.

sfft_2108
06-03-2004, 01:49 AM
I have 37.2 GB of memory. Next question. Processor speed. HMMM. How do i found out how fast it is. I really don't have any start up programs. SO i don't know what the problem is. To find the memory i click on my computer, then i right clicked local disk (c drive) IT says used space 10.5 GB- Free Space 26.6 GB. I don't know where all the memory is going. But it sucks. I have no games installed. ex. RCT, Sims. None of those. SO what is the deal here.

coasterz44
06-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about, do you? You can't have 37.2GB of memory. That's your hard drive space. Memory is your RAM, which is probably 256MB or less in your case. Your processor speed can by found by going to:

Start -> Run -> dxdiag (Click "Ok" If a pop-up window asks you for permission.)

At this screen you'll see a list on the center of the page. It'll have your processor speed and amount of memory there. Windows XP is recommended to be run on 512MB of RAM for optimal performance.

You may also have a lot of unnecessary services running. Go to:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

In this window youíll have a lot of services. Some are set to manual, some are on Automatic, and some are on Disabled. You should usually have around 30 services on Automatic or Manual.

sfft_2108
06-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Well, i guess i don't know what i am talking about. OK Processor speed. Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz and memory 254 MB RAM. So now what.

coasterz44
06-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Well you've only used about a third of your hard drive, so you've got plenty of space there. I'm guessing it's a combination of your memory and your services. There's a lot of services in there that most computers never need to use and can save you a lot of RAM. Also, little things, like the XP Luna Interface can drag on your memory.

Here is a good little guide to disabling some of the really un-needed services:
http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsSecurity/Article/ArticleID/40722/WindowsSecurity_40722.html

Or you can try this page with a lot more detail:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I recommend using the "SAFE" setting he provides for you.

sfft_2108
06-03-2004, 02:21 AM
I am sorry, but the links don't work. Plus thanks for all the work, Sparks and coasterz44.

Cuddy
06-03-2004, 06:01 AM
I believe I understand your problem. You mentioned something about using 254MB Ram while having a 256 MB card. That looks to be your problem right there. All you would really need to do is buy more RAM. I was at 128 last year when I noticed things were getting very choppy and/or freezing at some point. I went out and bought a 512 card and things were much better. So my suggestion is to purchase more RAM, either a 256 or 512.

sfft_2108
06-03-2004, 09:35 PM
OK, here is another question. IS there a way to wipe out all you files and install a brand new Windows XP. I have use the Service Pack 1 CD to reinstall XP. But i want to delete ALL the files, and start ALL over again. Is this possible.

coasterz44
06-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Yup, you can use Drive Scrubber. It's an easy program, all you need is a floppy drive and floppy disk. Best of all, the program is free. It can be downloaded here:

http://ds.iolo.com/

If you have any other questions about the program, feel free to PM me.

DEJA-VU RULES
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
What causes internet explorer to do this and how do I fix it?

Skye
06-07-2004, 04:58 PM
thats unreadable...

DEJA-VU RULES
06-07-2004, 05:12 PM
It says internet explorer has encountered a problem and has to close and I lose every thing I was doing.

Drewbie
06-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Any of a number of things can cause that to happen. It's an XP thing. Just keep doing the updates and it cuts down on them. For a while I was at 6 or 7 a week, but now it's only about 1 or 2 times a month.

edit: Either that or you were looking at kiddie porn

DEJA-VU RULES
06-07-2004, 05:18 PM
^No I was not looking at kiddie porn.

Cuddy
06-07-2004, 05:24 PM
I think he was joking on the kiddie porn, but I do occasionally get that crap too. Just do as Drewbie suggested and keep up with the updates.

Skye
06-07-2004, 05:29 PM
now it's only about 1 or 2 times a month.

isn't IE great?

Sparks
06-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Also, sometimes if you have lot of things going at the the same time, that could make that appear depending on your computer and what's running. Also the updates help a lot to. For the updates go here. http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

TooTired
06-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Okay, I have an NF7-S mobo. I want to overclock my unlocked Barton 2600+. I can increase the multiplier with no problem, boots up fine. But I want to decrease the multiplier so I can get the same speeds with a faster FSB. However, whenever I decrease the multiplier my system will not post.....Any suggestions?

sfft_2108
06-09-2004, 11:53 AM
OK, since i had trouble fixing my memory problem. I have notice that my Hard Drive space has been going down real fast. Can some one please explain what my Hard Drive is. I am really not that stupid, but i just really don't know. It is at 67% now. Plus i want to know how i can see what i am using up or something like that. Thanks

coasterz44
06-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Your hard drive is where all the files on your computer are stored. If you download alot of stuff (Movies, music, pictures, software, games, ect.) then your hard drive fills up.

I don't know what you mean when you say "Plus i want to know how i can see what i am using up or something like that." If you mean memory, you can perss "ctrl+alt+del", as stated before, to see what processes are currently running.

sfft_2108
06-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Well, i don't download and pictures,moveis,games, software what so ever. So i don't know why it is at 67%. Should it really be this low? Plus i have to keep renistall xp on my computer because it messes up. So you think that is a reason why it is at 67%?

coasterz44
06-09-2004, 09:41 PM
It might be... but I think re-installing Windows XP just replaces the corrupted files that are needed to run XP. I'm not sure on this though because I have never done it. What do you use your computer for? If you have a lot of programs or games installed that might also be your problem. But keep in mind it's not your hard drive that's slowing you down. It's your RAM. You're way below the bare minimum that is recommended to be running a system with Windows XP.

If you donít want to buy more RAM, you can always just wipe your hard drive and start over. This might make your computer run a little faster for awhile, but after using it for a few months (or maybe even less) youíll run into the slow running speeds again. Keep in mind if you do decide to wipe your hard drive make a back-up of any files you want to keep.

AllYourBase887
06-09-2004, 09:58 PM
i have a slight problem. i cant open task manager anymore. whenever i press ctrl-alt-delete and click task manager, most of the time nothing happens and sometimes it comes up for a second but then disapears right away. anyone have any ideas?

Kyle L
06-10-2004, 12:48 AM
It might be... but I think re-installing Windows XP just replaces the corrupted files that are needed to run XP. I'm not sure on this though because I have never done it. What do you use your computer for? If you have a lot of programs or games installed that might also be your problem. But keep in mind it's not your hard drive that's slowing you down. It's your RAM. You're way below the bare minimum that is recommended to be running a system with Windows XP.

If you donít want to buy more RAM, you can always just wipe your hard drive and start over. This might make your computer run a little faster for awhile, but after using it for a few months (or maybe even less) youíll run into the slow running speeds again. Keep in mind if you do decide to wipe your hard drive make a back-up of any files you want to keep.

Well, formatting your drive could solve the problem. If you do, eliminate all the partitions on the drive. Do not know what I am talking about? Ask me, but be sure to give me your model, make and a screenshot of "My Computer" would help.

Sparks
06-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Could someone please help me. I have this game and I installed it on my computer. Then I wanted to unistall and when I tried to it says "An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic failure. Then I tried searching for all the files in the game and that were related to the game and deleted them. I thought that if I did I could ust reinstall it. Then when I tried to reinstall it it said the same thing as when I tried to unistall it. I really want to get the game on my computer and make it so I can install it or somehow unistall it and then reinstall it. Also when I put the cd in, the main screan pops up and the only button I can press is unistall but when I click that the Catastropic failure thing pops up again. Could someone pleas help me?

Also, then I used this thing call RegSeeker and searched for Battlefield Vietnam and got rid of all the traces and now when I instert the cd the only button I can press is install, but it still says the same thing. I know I shouldn't have deleted the files from before and stuff, but I can't undelete them.

SFOG Freak
06-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Can someone please tell me how to get something I filmed with a video camera onto a computer?

coaster_kid89
06-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Sparks, are you using XP? If you are go to your control panel and click add/remove programs. It will make a list and the game should be on it. Click the game and windows will tell you how to do the rest.

DEJA-VU RULES
06-17-2004, 07:09 PM
How do I remove adware and spyware from my computer?

edh101985
06-17-2004, 07:19 PM
You go to www.download.com and get one of the hundreds of spyware removers. Go to "most popular".Before asking something, atleast try and do a google search like "spyware remover". You most likely will find the answer.

AllYourBase887
06-17-2004, 07:48 PM
i clicked on a link in someone's AIM away message and now that same away message keeps popping up whenever my computer is on. even when im not even on AIM, a box pops up saying "the link you have clicked cannot open, you must be connected to the internet" and when i mean keeps popping up, i mean every 20 seconds and its annoying the hell out of me. the away message says this: "ITS HERE http://www.cbcica.org/shrek2.scr !" (dont click the link). if anyone has any idea how to stop this from happening, PLEASE let me know. any help would be appreciated.

well this damn things keeps comming back in differant forms.(like differant away messages and even internet pop ups) i downloaded spybot but i cant keep the spyware off my computer. i would do a scan, delete the infected files and then do they scan right aftwards and they're back again. please, if anyone can help me out, i would do ANYTHING.....PLEASE

Sparks
06-17-2004, 11:18 PM
How do I remove adware and spyware from my computer?Go to www.download.com (http://www.download.com) and get Ad-aware and Spybot Seach and Destroy.

Sparks, are you using XP? If you are go to your control panel and click add/remove programs. It will make a list and the game should be on it. Click the game and windows will tell you how to do the rest. Yes, I already went their before but when I went there it said and Insatllion support file can't be found. Catatrophic failure or whatever and still don't know what to do.

Can someone please tell me how to get something I filmed with a video camera onto a computer?What type of camera?

well this damn things keeps comming back in differant forms.(like differant away messages and even internet pop ups) i downloaded spybot but i cant keep the spyware off my computer. i would do a scan, delete the infected files and then do they scan right aftwards and they're back again. please, if anyone can help me out, i would do ANYTHING.....PLEASEUnistall the program then re download it and install it again. Also get ad-aware at www.download.com (http://www.download.com)

coasterz44
06-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Can someone please tell me how to get something I filmed with a video camera onto a computer?

What type of camera?

It doesn't matter what type of camera you have... all you need is the USB Cable that came with the camera, and video capturing software. Windows Movie Maker comes with Windows XP, so if you have Windows XP, Just go to:

My Computer -> C: -> Program Files -> Movie Maker

Then make sure you're camera is turned on and connected to your computer via the USB cable, and go to:

File -> Capture or File -> Record, Depending on which version on Movie Maker you have installed.

Everything after that is pretty much self explanatory.

If you donít have Windows Movie Maker you can get it free here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx

It's not the greatest software out there, but hey, it's free and it gets the job done. The only downside is all your files will be in .wmv format.

well this damn things keeps comming back in differant forms.(like differant away messages and even internet pop ups) i downloaded spybot but i cant keep the spyware off my computer. i would do a scan, delete the infected files and then do they scan right aftwards and they're back again. please, if anyone can help me out, i would do ANYTHING.....PLEASE

Unistall the program then re download it and install it again. Also get ad-aware at www.download.com

Don't get Ad-Aware.. it's very slow and barely catches anything. Get SpySweeper, it gets rid of almost everything. You can get the free version here:

http://www.nicksvideo.com/Spysweeper.exe

After installing it, go to Options and click "Update Definitions" and set the Scan Priority Level to High. Then just start the scan. It should solve all your problems.

TopGun77
06-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I need to purchase a laptop this summer for university next year. I can't decide if I want to go custom or just buy a brand name. Some people tell em brand name laptops are the electronic equivalent to crap on a stick, and others say they're fine. The majority of people say if I go brand name I should get a Dell. If I go custom, I'm not sure what I want in it. I'm thinking custom is a bad idea for someone like me who is not an advanced computer person. Would anyone be of help?

Sparks
06-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Ok, I have a customed dell. Getting the brand name is easier but it might not be like you want it to be. But if you only use your computer for a couple things that would be the better way. If you wanted to go the othe way, I would tal;k to someone whoo knows a lot about computers and ask him to help you custimze it and stuff. It depends on how much money you want to spend as well.If you have some advandced questions talk to coasterz44. He knows a lot about computers.

TopGun77
06-23-2004, 12:15 PM
OK, I think i may have found what i am looking for. I randomly saw it in the radio shack flyer in my recycling box. Here are the specs:

Compaq Presario R312OCA notebook
15.4" widescreen
Athlon Xp 3000+ processor
512 Megs RAM
60 Gig HD
Cd-RW/DVD-ROM combo
10/100 NIC (no clue what this means)
802.11b/g wireless (again, wtf?)

It's XP based and comes with a free HP coolor printer (supposedly worth $150 CDN). The entire thing retails for $1699.99 CDN at Radio Shack.

The full stats and a picture can be found here (http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=2515574&category=Notebooks+Notebooks&catalog=RadioShack).

Any thoughts?

SFGAm Guru
06-23-2004, 12:36 PM
10/100 NIC is the wired networking port. 802.11b/g wireless is the wireless networking protocal, good if your university has Wifi (wireless internet access) or other wireless networking.

Sparks
06-27-2004, 02:16 AM
Does anybody know a good program to save dvd's to you're computers hardrive. That way you don't need the dvd to play the movie.

coasterz44
06-27-2004, 02:46 AM
DVD Smart Ripper is what I use. It's pretty fast (Full movie in about 30 minutes). It makes .vob files which can be played back in most media playing programs like RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, ect. but you'll need to get a MPEG-2 codec. This one should work:

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-40.shtml

I don't know if it will though because I have Nero, and it came with a MPEG-2 Codec...

Kyle L
06-27-2004, 02:48 AM
I need to purchase a laptop this summer for university next year. I can't decide if I want to go custom or just buy a brand name. Some people tell em brand name laptops are the electronic equivalent to crap on a stick, and others say they're fine. The majority of people say if I go brand name I should get a Dell. If I go custom, I'm not sure what I want in it. I'm thinking custom is a bad idea for someone like me who is not an advanced computer person. Would anyone be of help?

Go with custom. You can get to service support faster if you need to. Well, actually, only go with custom if you know your stuff about computers. I know friends that had theirs get bad on them, and they called me up the help fix it. So get friends, or something easier...

Sparks
06-27-2004, 03:13 AM
DVD Smart Ripper is what I use. It's pretty fast (Full movie in about 30 minutes). It makes .vob files which can be played back in most media playing programs like RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, ect. but you'll need to get a MPEG-2 codec. This one should work:

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-40.shtml

I don't know if it will though because I have Nero, and it came with a MPEG-2 Codec...
Where did you get DVD Smart Ripper?

sfft_2108
06-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Well like i said before i had a lot of problems with my computer. It is fixed i kept on messing with it and all this stuff. I think i like did something were i wipped out all the files and started brand new. It now works fine. I just had to let yall know that cause i have been have extreme problems. So thanks cause for all your helf. BTW it has been fixed for like 3 weeks.

coaster_kid89
06-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Don;t get compaq or HP laptops both have crashed on me. I recoment Toshiba or Sony, but also look for smaller brands. I myselt have a Best Buy's VPRMatrix.

TopGun77
06-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Oops, too late. I gone and done bought the Compaq.

I did some research on the components of it, and it seemed like almost everything in it was top notch. I also talked to some people who had compaq laptops and they had no issues, as well as some people who said that compaqs aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be. Plus the deal was too good for me to pass up, even though it was Radio Shack :rollseyes:.

Kyle, you will be pleased with me, it has a 64 MB NVidia GeForce 4.

Intamin42
06-28-2004, 04:17 PM
I have a wireless home network, and all three computers have Windows XP. Could I add a server to the network (for storing large files, etc.) with a Linux OS?

sfft_2108
07-08-2004, 07:05 PM
OK, i just got the new MSN 9 Dial Up (Yes, DIAL UP, who can't live with out it. lol.) So before i installed it, i set a system restore point, just in case things don't go well. Then i install it all. I use the new msn. It is slower than the one i had before. I had 45.2 kpb's and MSN 9 have 44.33. It is a big difference. So then i went to system restore and restore the system to where i jsut had it before i installed the CD. So then when i try to use my old msn, this is the way it looks like.

Cuddy
07-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Hmm Dial up...I'm getting anywhere from 50.6 to 52 kpb's on AOHell.

Anyhow, I know MSN and AOHell are different, but when I tried running an older version of AOL, I could with no problems. Perhaps the problem is that you made a system restore point when you didn't need to. Would there be a way to uninstall MSN 9 and use an older version?

sfft_2108
07-11-2004, 12:18 AM
No, cause I uninstalled it and then i restarted the computer. Then i click on the old MSN icon and it said browesing. So since i installed the new MSN 9, i think it overwrited the old msn. So that is why i just made sure that i had a restore point incase things went wrong.

Skye
07-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Oops, too late. I gone and done bought the Compaq.

I had a desktop once and after that i'll never buy another.

why do people sign up for aol? I know someone who just got broadband from them and immediatley regretted it.

They insist on installing complicated, controlling software on your computer - and then crashes constantly to reward you. I would never put that software on my computer.

Its not needed - my broadband had ZERO software (except for the DSL adaptor) - i just set up the phone number and password through windows.

SFGAm Guru
07-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Amen to that ^. AOL for broadband is the worst thing you could posibly do to a decent cable/dsl connection. The second worst thing is installing SBC/Yahoo software with SBC dsl. Most, if not all of it is spyware/adware.

Skye
07-11-2004, 11:38 AM
I didn't know it had spyware but dosn't surprise me. All you need to know is:

AOL software = windows reinstall.

the conection dosn't actually seem too bad, but the software is horrible to use. It forces you to use their homepage, websearch, email........everything AOL is forced on you. it takes over your computer. You can change it probably but its a hassle.

There are only two worse things - realplayer and a program called gozilla. Took 6 months to get rid of that. It kept coming back after i thought i had deleted it.

Cuddy
07-11-2004, 04:09 PM
I have AOL and since I have had Windows XP, it has meant NO windows reinstall. I'm probably the only one that prefers dial-up to a constant "always-on" connection. Simply put, if I don't want people to call, I go online.

But when I do upgrade for faster service, I'm uninstalling AOL and using the CDs for drink coasters.

Skye
07-11-2004, 04:37 PM
when you get broadband you will be amazed you ever managed without

Intamin42
07-16-2004, 05:03 PM
But when I do upgrade for faster service, I'm uninstalling AOL and using the CDs for drink coasters.

http://nomoreaolcds.com/ :D

Skye
07-16-2004, 07:11 PM
make money out of them? Just keeping phoneing them for more cds.

For a while they sent them out in DVD cases which was great to re-use them for cds where the publisher was too cheap to provide a case.

Sparks
07-16-2004, 08:39 PM
I have a question when I go to some sites I get this error, about debugging. For example if I go to this one site, before I Can click on anything this things poops up that says: A runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug? Line:242 Error: 'shuffle' is underfined.

I might get the same thing on a different site only with a different line and sometimes a different error. How do I turn this debuging thing off. I've already ran ad-aware and SBSAD and niether said it was spyware

Cuddy
07-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Perhaps an update for the browser?

Sparks
07-17-2004, 12:32 AM
nope, that's not it

TooTired
07-17-2004, 04:48 AM
Do you have Visual Studio installed?

sfft_2108
07-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Ok, i need help with pictures on my computer. I want to be able to be able to see them like i see them in "My Pictures". This is hard to explain. I think the pic will help. The picture of the 4 guys, i can see easliy put the other folder the pictures have a sunset on them. I want to view them like i can in "My pictures"

NOT A GOOD PIC. LOL.

Sparks
07-24-2004, 12:41 AM
click view at the top and try all of those, see if one of those opeiotns is what you want

sfft_2108
07-24-2004, 12:46 AM
AHHH, There you go. Now i feel stupid. I always messed with those views,but i forgot how to do it. LOL. Thanks.

sithlordmike90
08-09-2004, 11:28 PM
ok maybe i over looked this, but where can i get a no cd hack or patch for rct2

Sparks
08-10-2004, 12:53 AM
go to gamecopyworld. They should have it they have tons of no cd patchs.

Sparks
08-11-2004, 11:15 PM
ok, my turn for a question. I have these couple websites that always pop up as adds. I've ran ad-aware Spybot SandD, deleted cookies and they still come up what should I do? I tihnk I muight have to go to run and then type in regedit, but im not sure

Cuddy
08-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Rtaher interesting, because although I ran ada-ware and spybot, I still got that too. Keep updating your virus definitions and eventually you won't get any more stuff. Also, if you go into your internet options and (after clearing cookies) go to the privacy tab, advanced, and "prompt" on both options. Then you can control which sites you want to keep tabs on you. It works easily for me.

Sparks
08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Im kinda confused how do you do it. could you go step by step please

Kyle L
08-12-2004, 02:12 AM
go to gamecopyworld. They should have it they have tons of no cd patchs.

Thrillnetwork is defenetley not a cool place to discuss warez.

Sparks
08-12-2004, 02:14 PM
If you go to there it says its prefectlly legal if you own the game yourself. Plus you can't download games there.

Skye
08-12-2004, 02:36 PM
"Hi-jack" this is a good anti spyware proam, but use it alongside ad-aware and read the instructions carefully (it can't tell whats good and whats bad - you have to)

you can get it here:

http://www.siena.edu/antivirus/Spyware/hijackthis.htm

Sparks
08-12-2004, 02:45 PM
cool program, thanks

Skye
08-13-2004, 08:19 PM
I need some help. The text on certain websites (not this one) has gone all tiny.

Sparks
08-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Go to View>Text Size>Medium

Skye
08-14-2004, 09:16 AM
ok thanks. Another IE question. When I tell a page to load, i often want to read another page i have open while it loads. problem is, when the page is the background finishes loading, it "jumps" in front of all the other windows i have open, which is really anoying.

Sparks
08-14-2004, 02:18 PM
There's no way to fix that. Just click back on the other page.

Sparks
08-31-2004, 02:55 AM
I got a a question, one time when I started up my explored i got this toolbar, and i want to get rid of it permatly how would i do that?

Cuddy
08-31-2004, 04:02 AM
which toolbar was it, and next time post a picture for us to help.

Short, easy way is to go to View-->Toolbars then uncheck the toolbar you don't want. Also, go to your add/remove programs (found in control panel) and search for the toolbar in question. If you find it, go ahead and remove it, though you may need to restart your computer.

Sparks
08-31-2004, 08:50 PM
done, both of those before, i couldn't find it. heres the toolbar:
http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6920/toolbar3.jpg

General Public
08-31-2004, 08:55 PM
I got a a question, one time when I started up my explored i got this toolbar, and i want to get rid of it permatly how would i do that?

Stop using Netscape/IE and wwitch to FireFox (www.mozilla.com)

jimmycoasterman
08-31-2004, 09:03 PM
OK, big big problem here.

I've had spyware and adware issues as of late, and now when I restarded the compy up comes a thing asking me if I wanted to reinstall 180search Assistant, which I had never heard of. Turns out its basically adware and spyware, and I of course did not install anything. So I searched and something directing me to downloading Spyware Nuker 2004. So it points out 300 plus files that I should delete, and says I have to pay for the full version to clean it. So I would rather not do that.

I thought about trying to just manually delete the files, but part of the issue is that when I try to open task manager or regedit, they are immeadiately closed. I have run Adaware, and it found and removed 70 or so files, but the problems are still there.

Please, any suggestions?