PDA

View Full Version : Best Classic Ride

BryanWood
10-18-2004, 05:53 PM
There are numerous classic rides that are "staples" of any good amusement park. I want to know what your favorite is. For me, it's the Tilt-A-Whirl. I love how you can control the ride and if you know how to ride one, get triple spins and make a fun ride a wild ride.

Note: if you respond to this thread, give a reason why it is your favorite. If you just to post your favorite without a reason, it will be deleted.

NYnehalem
10-18-2004, 05:57 PM
I love the derby carousels

granted theres only two, but they're freighteningly fast and sort of dangerous. the horses actually race each other.

willski2002
10-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Tumble Bug; it's a unique ride that you never see anywhere. The one at Kennywood is/was (do they still have it?) a lot of fun, especially when the park was deserted and you could get re-rides.

Dukeis#1
10-18-2004, 06:09 PM
I really like all the rides on that poll. Log Flumes, Cars, Wave Swingers, Octopusses, but my favorites are Tilt-a-Whirls and the [Eli] Scramblers.

Tilt-a-Whirl: Love the crazy spinning feeling and the G's they pull when they do the multiple spins.

Scrambler: I like how it looks like you are going to crash into the other seats as they fly past. I also like the Gs. The reason I prefer the Eli scramblers is because they provide a better "kick-off" and spin faster.

My favorite classic carnival flats are the Zipper and the Gravitron.

HPStormRunner22
10-18-2004, 06:27 PM
The best are the log flumes. They are a great way to cool off during a day at a park. They can also be lots of fun.

coaster_kid89
10-18-2004, 06:29 PM
The flyers, I am gonna go cry now...
But out of the poll it would be log flume because they can be very compact and thrilling.

SFOG Freak
10-18-2004, 07:02 PM
The Scrambler.

After all these years, it's still one of my all-time favorite flat rides.

James
10-18-2004, 07:15 PM
well i feel ZIpper should be listed.. as they are just as old as Log RIdes...

but my vote goes to Spider...
Rideing a nice ketp one set on a long ride.. and its spinning nice is fast is a very very fun thing.. also the bigger "monster" rides like what Cedar Point has. I just wish more parks had the. I guess the best spider ride i have been on is the one at FunSPot in FL.. i was the only one on it last nov i went and they gave me an 8min ride and asked if i wanted more. They also had a paratropper that was different from all the ones i had been on. it ran backwards and very fast at that. it is also the best trooper i have been on..

aribev24
10-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Tilt-a-Whirl.

The one at Canobie Lake Park is so fun, and it's always been a must ride. I love the multiple spins they do, and just a really fun ride! This coming from a person who isn't really big on flats, but I've always loved the Tilt-a-Whirl!

BryanWood
10-18-2004, 07:23 PM
For those who think certain rides should be on here, I am referring to rides that are at almost every park or have been at one time or another.

James
10-18-2004, 07:29 PM
For those who think certain rides should be on here, I am referring to rides that are at almost every park or have been at one time or another.

Ok then ;);0
The Chance Rotor! tons of parks had them and a few still do! and the one at Canobie Lake is the best of the 4 i have been on.

bk2004
10-18-2004, 07:34 PM
I would have to say the Carousel. Virtually every park has them, big or small.

But my favorite out of the list would have to be the classic Log Flume. Arrow's log flumes. I love riding them all. They are so much fun, and most of them don't get you too wet. They just cool you off. The line is always moving fast too, so you just don't stand there, which I hate!! Another plus is that there is no restraints. You are free! :)

Ryan F
10-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Pirate Ship, if you sit at the back and know how to shift your weight right you get tons of airtime

Wes
10-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I love the old arrow log flumes as well as many of the others listed.

But it seems like a park isn't complete without at least one log flume. Some parks are lucky enough to have two flumes (Dollywood). :D

I love the one at Myrtle Beach Pavilion because it has a cool long winding tunnel.

Speaking of flats, is there anywhere on the net that has a database for flats like rcdb does for coasters?

coasetrphil
10-18-2004, 11:35 PM
I would go with the spider. Its a ride almost everyone can enjoy, and its still quite thrilling. Plus its one of the few "spinny rides" that doesn't make me sick.

CPdude05
10-19-2004, 06:49 AM
I would have to go with a pirate ship, I don't know why a park wouldn't have one. They are so dang fun.

Griswold
10-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Cedar Point has a special tribute to all of thier "deceased" rides in a graveyard especially made for them at Halloweekends. It has a tombstone for all the rides they have removed. It makes you remember the CP of the past. Some of my childhood favorites were the Pirate Ride, Earthquake, and the Mill Race.

ErioL
10-19-2004, 09:49 AM
I like the flume. Man the flume in BGW is awesome. Everytime, everytime I go on that I feel like I'm gonna get cut in half.

Wes
10-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Cedar Point has a special tribute to all of thier "deceased" rides in a graveyard especially made for them at Halloweekends. It has a tombstone for all the rides they have removed. It makes you remember the CP of the past. Some of my childhood favorites were the Pirate Ride, Earthquake, and the Mill Race.

That's cool. I never knew they did that. That's a good idea. Carowinds could have White Lighting, Oaken Bucket, Carolina Sternwheeler and others. :)

stevetothekizzo
10-19-2004, 10:22 AM
I like the wave swingers that have the steps. At my fair you had to climb up about 5-6 steps to get to the chairs. It made the ride more thrilling because you sailed higher than just the standard wave swinger that was mounted directly on the ground.

James
10-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Speaking of flats, is there anywhere on the net that has a database for flats like rcdb does for coasters?

www.flatrides.com is about the best you will find... unless you know german..

DEJA-VU RULES
10-19-2004, 02:58 PM
The Pirate Ship is my favorite classic ride because you get a lot of air time.

Wes
10-19-2004, 07:37 PM
www.flatrides.com is about the best you will find... unless you know german..

pipesdrums
10-20-2004, 04:47 PM
I chose the logflumes

Its a shame though that PCW removed theirs and put a SLC in its place :(

countingcrow
10-21-2004, 02:57 AM
I voted for the Tilt-a-whirl, after much deliberation. I love almost all flat rides, and enjoy log flumes just as much, but I had to choose one. Tilts get my vote because they are pure classic, with the great manual brakes, and the free will of the ride. Every ride can be different, sometimes yor car will spin constantly the whole duration, or it my surprise you by building momentum at first by not spinning, before whipping you into a fierce tailspin. Great fun ride, and is still just as wild as most new flats being built today.

darque
10-21-2004, 08:14 AM
I love the log flumes as well. I agree, it was a shame that the removed the Zulu Flume from PCW. There was never a line, so I guess that was a pretty good indicator that it was going to happen. I guess what

I enjoy the most is the theaming that goes with them. Being 40 some odd feet in the air and winding through the tree tops, that's just cool.

pipesdrums
10-21-2004, 01:47 PM
^It was called Zumba Flume ;)

Jerry S
10-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Gotta have the antique cars. Le Mans is great, with the nice field. And the one at Dorney goes through a mini jungle thing.

HPStormRunner22
10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
I do like the Antique Cars. My favorite ones have to be the ones at Hershey. Its neat with all the road signs stateing all the local attractions. I also like the tight layout.

koasterkid14
10-21-2004, 07:17 PM
i love the old octopus rides. not the newer ones like at SFA. there was this one whered u sit in little buckets w/ only a seatbelt and these hydraulics would drop u as ur spinning. then it would rush u back up. i think the airtime on that thing out did allllllllllll roller coasters!!! ;party;

Dan G
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Even though it's not on the list, it's all about the Kennywood's ole fashioned Whip. That thing gave me tons of fun days at the park when I was little.

How could you forget to put the Whip on the list?!

magnumxl2005
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
The best flume i have ever been on would have to be the one at moreys piers. 2 hills and a awsome tunnel. Anyways i looovee the whip.

Franchise
10-21-2004, 10:07 PM
I prefer the carousel. It is the cat's meow. it is a marvel of ride. The wind at my face it is truly amazing.

Cuddy
10-21-2004, 10:36 PM
And such an in depth explanataion followed!! Hey, did you read this: http://thrillnetwork.com/boards/showpost.php?p=511620&postcount=1 Maybe you ought to edit that post and tell us WHY you prefer the carousel.

Best Classic Ride for me...without a doubt, the Tilt-A-Whirl. Get an uneven amount of weight on one side and spin for all its worth. I might be dizzy when I get off the ride, but its well worth a re-ride.

Leo C
10-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Pirate ship ARRRRRR!

Jimmy B
10-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Of the selections listed in the poll, I like the car ride; it's a nice, leisurely ride around a section of the park, and the Antique Taxis at SFAW was the first ride I've ever been on.

But I would also like to mention parachute towers and observation towers, which are actually my top favorite rides; they offer a nice relaxing, yet panoramic view of the park and its surroundings. There's nothing like getting a stunning overall view from above.

Another great classic ride I like is the train ride around the park, where you're taken a grand tour of the park and getting unique views of the park and rides you probably wouldn't get from the midways/paths.

Thrill Rider
10-25-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm personally a fan of the Wave Swinger. It's nice, relaxing, and fun. All you have to do is just sit back and enjoy the wind blowing in your face.

leeloo1953
10-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Of those on the list, I have to go with the Tilt-A-Whirl...I always loved that ride. Those not on the list would have to include The Racing Derby that is now at CP, although it was 10 times more fun while it was at Euclid Beach (and probably 10 times more dangerous). We use to change horses during the ride so we would win. :leeloo2:

I also love the Whip, I wish every park had a Whip!

Another ride I absoulety love, is that darn little Kangaroo ride at Kennywood. It's by no means the most exciting ride ever, but for some reason it's just simply FUN. It's even more fun just watching the faces of the little kids when they go up and over the ramp!

NC Coasterman
11-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Carousels, real carousels like Knoebels meet all my criteria for best classic ride.
Why Knobels Carousel?

1. Operator takes your ticket while the rides is moving, very cool.

2. Great looking and maintained horses, with the proper movement
and speed.

3. Having a chance to grab a ring, Brass or not.

4. Ride has a real band or pipe organ playing traditional music. I hate recorded music on carousels! i think the music should be just a little out of tune also, just like old band organs.

5. Bonus criteria, is if the carousel's organ plays THE MERRY GO ROUND BROKE DOWN during your ride!

A close second in my classic ride list is THE WHIP. I just love those things!

Zombo
11-04-2004, 11:52 PM
^^^^
I'm with these guys. Kangaroo is a great ride! Those little hops are guaranteed to make you grin. Someone should come out with a copycat version. The world needs more than one of these.

And brass ring carousels . . . yesssss. Carousels are fun anyway, but that extra element of rider interaction turns it into an adrenaline rush ride. But there aren't many left, so I didn't vote for that.

Speaking of great interactive rides, the Flyer should be on that list. My mom and I have had a running rivalry for like two decades to see who can get higher. Just can't seem to match her mad skillz, though. Is there a thread somewhere of proper Flyer technique? Share your wisdom, you Jedi Flyer masters.

Anyway, I voted for the Pirate Ship. Airtime. 'Nuff said. And for an extra kick, keep your head tilted back the whole time. You'll look like a goof when the ship is horizontal, but when it rocks upward you'll realize how high you really are, instead of just staring at the folks on the opposite side of the ship. When the top of the ride structure falls out of view, and your butt floats out of the seat . . . that's good stuff.

RllrCoasterFan
11-05-2004, 01:44 PM
I voted for the Farris Wheel becasue every park has one that fits their park. The style changes at every park you go to. That is my pick for the best classic ride but the funnest classic ride is the Log Flume.

RLLrCoastrLover
11-06-2004, 09:34 PM
wave swinger is my pick. If you had to draw a classic amusement park on paper, you could not leave out the wave swinger.

LuvChyld79
11-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Log flumes, hands down. Nothing like that nice floatey air on the way down the big drop. Also, it's nice to relax for a minute and let your stomach chill out after some of the spin-and-barfs.

rckrazy06
11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Another Wonderful poll of mine, what do you think the best other kind of ride is? I would Say Huss Frisbees.

SFGAFan4
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Would drop tower count?

rckrazy06
11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Aaaaaaaa,Sure.

SFGAFan4
11-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Then a drop tower then even though I've only been on Stuntman's Freefall but that was awesome.

Jimmy B
11-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I merged the repeat topic thread with its original thread.

I love DW
11-07-2006, 02:11 PM
My favorite would have to be the log flume I just love riding them.

But it seems like a park isn't complete without at least one log flume. Some parks are lucky enough to have two flumes (Dollywood). :D

Unfortunetly we are not so lucky any more.:sadface:

Katie
11-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I love Tilt-a-whirl's. They are so much fun! We always get it to spin like crazy!

I don't mind the Himalaya's, Whips, and Turpike's. What old classic fun.

Michael C
11-07-2006, 10:50 PM
That was a hard choice. i ended up picking the Flume. But I am also a fan of just about every ride listed there. roundups and Tilt-a- whirls being high on that list. carousels are a staple at parks so they should have some respect.

Yoshi
11-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Log Flume, they are fun and relaxing rides and a great way to get cooled off but not get drenched like on a river rapids ride.

CoasterFan914
11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Scramblers all the way, they are my favorite classic flat ride with the Tilt-A-Whirl in 2nd. I love how they make you swing into another person if there are 2 of you. It's just a great addition to any theme park big or small.

Michael C
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Scramblers all the way, they are my favorite classic flat ride with the Tilt-A-Whirl in 2nd. I love how they make you swing into another person if there are 2 of you. It's just a great addition to any theme park big or small.

Unfortunately Both those rides seem to be harder to find at parks now a days. great rides but low capacity.

CoasterFan914
11-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I know, it is a shame, but that's why we should enjoy them as much as we can.

I love DW
11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
^They should invent some supersized titlt a whirl that has like 30 pods on it.:) (You know how huge that would be.)

CoasterFan914
11-08-2006, 05:54 PM
That's going over the edge right? I say make the Scrambler's faster and possibly make a flipping Scrambler.

ridemaster
11-08-2006, 06:07 PM
I know I'm old and everything...but shouldn't a "classic" ride be, say, pre-world war II?

Hank
11-08-2006, 07:04 PM
I am always facinated with train rides. The one at the Milwaukee Zoo - it REALLY goes fast!!!

razor12
11-08-2006, 08:22 PM
I chose the "Round-Up." They are always fun, and the rides seem to last forever and it is always fun.

All of them are fun though!

Michael C
11-08-2006, 10:03 PM
^They should invent some supersized titlt a whirl that has like 30 pods on it.:) (You know how huge that would be.)

Don't thing that would work. The smaller hills is what makes the cars spin unless you have a bunch of little hills and that many pods would need like a 70ft circle.

As for a scramble if they made it a little larger they Could add a stadium seat with 3 seats giving 5 seats bet car. that would allot it to hold 60 instead of 24, 36 is your really lucky.

I love DW
11-08-2006, 10:13 PM
^I was being sarcastic but I guess if you think about it, it could be done.

kennywood_racer
11-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I dont see the Paratrooper on there.
So my second fav. classic ride would be the Log Flume

sfgam2006
11-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Here is my list...
1) Scramblers - I really love the spinning rides.
2) Anything that spins - Again, I just love the effect.
3) A nice old woodie (rough but not deadly rough).

Bowserjoe
11-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Pirate ships are my favorite. I LOVE the floater airtime at the top. It's one of the only times you can experience airtime without any kind of seatbelt or tight restraint. If you're in the back, and you lift your arms AND feet, it feels pretty dangerous lol.

Johnny Upsidedown
11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/events05/la13.jpg
One of my favorite rides as a kid.
Another favorite is this one http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/events03/lw4a.JPG always love taking a ride on the Fly o Plane at Lake Winnie.
I also like the Himalaya type rides and many of the other spinning up and down rides.

Mikewhy
11-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Many of the rides I love are the classic flats, some of which are rare in today's parks...The ones I mention below are the ones I love best in no particular order:

1) The Whip - amazing fun in a surprisingly simple ride. I simply do not understand why more parks do not have these anymore. I salute HersheyPark for being one of the very few to have a NEW one installed!

2) Flying Skooters - I prefer the older Bisch-Rocco ones, but I even enjoy the Larson ones. Love the feeling of soaring and the height. Snapping the cables is fun, but sometimes not allowed and the ride is fun even if you do not do that.

3) Old Mill rides - Like Kennywood's Garfield's Nightmare... I love relaxing boat rides through the dark where you see various lit scenes...

4) Antique Carousels - Any amusement park without these devices is lacking IMHO. Love the craftmanship of the wooden horses and the sound of a real organ. The best part of my day at a park is when I am relaxing either on the ride, or in a chair watching one!

5) Tumble Bug - I have ridden the ones at Kennywood and Conneaut Lake Park, which are the only parks in the U.S. with one. That is sad. Someone should make these things again! I love being tossed around.

6) Ferris Wheels - I love both the classic take-forever-to-load ones from Eli Bridge, and the huge ones with gondolas like the one at Cedar Point. Love to relax on them and enjoy the view of the park.

7) Wave Swinger - Beautiful to look at and fun and relaxing to ride. Some look GREAT at night!

8) Kangaroo or "flying coaster" - There is only one of these in the U.S. (Kangaroo at Kennywood), but I think they are still all over the UK. I am shocked there is not someone making more of these, because they are so much fun. You basically go around a track and at one point go off an ledge causing you to hop out of your seat. Just watch the people at Kennywood riding this thing. They are having a BLAST!

9) Scrambler - classic and always fun!

10) S&S screaming swing - a modern ride, but amazingly fun, and really just a huge modern take on a simple attraction - a swing!

Michael C
11-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Another favorite is this one http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/events03/lw4a.JPG always love taking a ride on the Fly o Plane at Lake Winnie.
I also like the Himalaya type rides and many of the other spinning up and down rides.

Those Fly o Plans are great. A local park Bensons/NEw England playworld had them after they closed they were at Whalom park for a while. a really fun ride.

8) Kangaroo or "flying coaster" - There is only one of these in the U.S. (Kangaroo at Kennywood), but I think they are still all over the UK. I am shocked there is not someone making more of these, because they are so much fun. You basically go around a track and at one point go off an ledge causing you to hop out of your seat. Just watch the people at Kennywood riding this thing. They are having a BLAST!

These are still made. in fact by a few deforest companies. Moser, SBF, Zamperla, etc. Zamperla even has a smaller 2 seater version with a kangaroo theme.

Bowserjoe
11-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Is that why you're called JohnnyUPSIDEDOWN? Lol...bad joke I know.

Johnny Upsidedown
11-11-2006, 07:41 PM
/\ Actually, not a bad joke, lame jokes make some people smile. But close on the name. Its really becuase I like upsidedown rides.
/\/\ I love the Fly o Plane, I was shocked to see one at Lake Winnie as its one of only a few that are left in operation. You can really get them spinning if you know what to do.
As for the vote above I picked Scramble. It was one of the main rides that I loved at SFOT back in the day..

SkierGirl77
04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Ferris wheels are my favorite classic ride followed by scramblers.

jimhamblin
04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
I voted for the monster. It has the best thrills of all those mentioned there. Interestingly, maybe it my age but i wouldnd consider all of them classics.

CoasterRockStar
04-03-2007, 10:55 AM
1. Flying Scooters!!! Go crazy!
2. Tilt-a-whirl!!! If you ride this and don't throw up you wont get sick on a boat!! lol, thats what they use to say anyway...
3. Scrambler!!! And around and around and around we go.

The last two i've been riding since I met the requirement. The first one I started riding 2 years ago.