PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Cedar point have metal detectors?

Franchise
11-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Is it like that at all other cedar fair parks? A terroist could walk in with a bomb in a backpack or a gun in their pocket and kill alot of people.

Dane186
11-01-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm glad you thought it all out.

bjballer
11-01-2004, 06:47 PM
do they inspect bags like Knotts does?

Franchise
11-01-2004, 06:49 PM
My gf walked right in before with a big purse.

pipesdrums
11-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Here at PCW its like going through airport security lol

Carowinds 73-03
11-01-2004, 07:29 PM
All parks that i can remeber going to have metal dectors. You brough up a very god point, Why does the biggest park in the world not have dectors. Maybe someone get the word out to management that they should. I seriously didn't even notice at Coastermania until you brought it up.

coasterguy1
11-01-2004, 09:25 PM
It isnt like they are completely unsafe. But parks did not use metal detectors for a long time, and nothing ever happened at them. I do not remember any instance of Cedar Point ever blowing up. Maybe they do not feel the complete need to regulate every aspect of a guest's day.

PKI-King
11-01-2004, 09:33 PM
PKI has em'. Why doesn't CP have em'? Hhhmmmm...

Leo C
11-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Midwesterners have better values than us thugs on the East and West coast? I'm fine with that anyway. There's plenty of reasons why I'm a repeat Ohio tourist.

Franchise
11-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Midwesterners have better values than us thugs on the East and West coast? I'm fine with that anyway. There's plenty of reasons why I'm a repeat Ohio tourist.

Probably so, there are not many thugs in sandusky. And thugs could not afford to drive from the nearby metropolitan areas.

coasterlove
11-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Is it like that at all other cedar fair parks? A terroist could walk in with a bomb in a backpack or a gun in their pocket and kill alot of people.

A terrorist could walk into anywhere. Besides if a terrorist had a bomb, they could just set it off outside the gates before ever entering the park. If they have a gun, they shoot the security and enter the park anyway. Whoops, there go those metal detectors.

PKI has em'. Why doesn't CP have em'? Hhhmmmm...

PKI is just outside Cincinnatti. CP is inside Sandusky....nuff said.

Griswold
11-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Been going to CP since I could walk......if I saw metal detectors installed there, it would be hard to see....since it was such a place of safety and fun for me--a place where you would forget the outside world for a while. But who knows what will happen in the future.

Ryan F
11-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Here at PCW its like going through airport security lol
The only reason they added them was because of the shooting. I'm sure if it never happened there wouldn't be any

Drewbie
11-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Is it like that at all other cedar fair parks?
I know it's that way at Valleyfair!

A terroist could walk in with a bomb in a backpack or a gun in their pocket and kill alot of people.
And they could do that at 1000 other places with similar amounts of people. There's not metal detectors at stadiums, though they do search large parcels. The Mall of America doesn't have metal detectors, nor anyone searching your bags.

Anyways, my point is that there are lots of potential "targets", but if we overdid it with security, all that would do is make more people paranoid.

Franchise
11-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I know it's that way at Valleyfair!

And they could do that at 1000 other places with similar amounts of people. There's not metal detectors at stadiums, though they do search large parcels. The Mall of America doesn't have metal detectors, nor anyone searching your bags.

Anyways, my point is that there are lots of potential "targets", but if we overdid it with security, all that would do is make more people paranoid.

Paramount cares more about their guests!!!!

bjballer
11-02-2004, 06:11 PM
It isnt like they are completely unsafe. But parks did not use metal detectors for a long time, and nothing ever happened at them.
there were 3 shootings at SFMM, thats why SFMM has metal detectors

Franchise
11-02-2004, 06:17 PM

I would go ahead and put them in all parks, because then there could not be a first shooting like for a park like cedar point.

RLLrCoastrLover
11-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I dont think Worlds of Fun has metal detectors and it is in Kansas City.

coasterguy1
11-02-2004, 07:13 PM

By that I meant nobody ran in and set off bombs.

CPdude05
11-02-2004, 07:14 PM
I would go ahead and put them in all parks, because then there could not be a first shooting like for a park like cedar point.
I hate metal detectors and all the security. It takes up alot of time.

I really hope that CP doesn't have to get them.

Hey franchise, you can shoot your girlfriend at Cedar Point so that CP can get metal detectors!!

Franchise
11-02-2004, 09:51 PM

Hey franchise, you can shoot your girlfriend at Cedar Point so that CP can get metal detectors!!

So if you get shot it will be fine cause you did not have to go through a metal detector?

coasterlove
11-02-2004, 10:11 PM

No, it's because PKI is near Cincinnatti which has a good percentage of ghetto in it. Sandusky doesn't have a ghetto! Plus Cedar Point doesn't merely have security, they have an actual police force! It makes a huge difference. How often do you hear of Cedar Point having fights, shootings or other major problems? You don't hear about it because it doesn't happen because of the people who go there aren't garbage like those that go to many other parks because of their location, especially Six Flags since they like to be near big urban areas. The second reason is because their security measures as far as once inside the park are better than most.

joedonuts1011
11-02-2004, 10:36 PM
I am in agreement that CP should have metal detectors. We live in a different time. And it's unfortunate that metal detectors should be a necessity. Granted...there isn't a "ghetto" atmosphere at CP, but, anything can happen involving any person of any race/creed.

Maybe other parks near larger urban areas should take some pointers from CP's security measures.

James
11-02-2004, 10:53 PM
oh god no! Canobie Lake Storyland and SantsVillage all in NH dont have metal detctors!!! Oh god no!!!! some could just walk in and bomb the coasters!!! oh wait.. why not just go to a mall.. or to a drive in movie? or ANYWHERE.............

Cuddy
11-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Or like my factory, sfnestinks...any old Joe can walk in. Does that mean we should have metal detectors at work? Bad enough we have them in schools.

leeloo1953
11-03-2004, 09:11 AM
^I agree. If somebody wants to do harm to people, they'll find a way, metal detectors, searching bags, whatever, they will find a way. They might be able to avoid a few incidents, but if you've got people who are determined, it'll be hard to stop them, no matter what security there is.

Franchise, just because Kings Island has metal detectors, does not mean they care more about their guests more than CP does. When I was at Kings Island this summer with Slipknot, Robert and Jill, and they went through my little fannypack, I told the guy I had a nail file in there, a metal one with a pointed end. He said no big deal. Honestly, if I was an evil person, I could have done some harm with that nail file.

So just because Kings Island has metal detectors, doesn't mean they are so perfect when it comes to security. Just like every other place in this country.

BryanWood
11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
No, it's because PKI is near Cincinnatti which has a good percentage of ghetto in it. Sandusky doesn't have a ghetto!

But you forget that CP draws a lot from Detroit and Cleveland, which are just as bad as Cincinnati. They bring in 3 million people a year, and less than 1% is from Sandsucky.

To answer the question: Cedar Point doesn't have them because they don't feel they need them. End of discussion.

You sir, are an idiot. Every park (yes even Six Flags parks) put safety first and the guests right behind safety. Saying one chain cares more about guests than the other is ignorance and shows your limited knowledge of the amusement industry.

leeloo1953
11-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Just stop this!! Saying why one park had metal detcetors and another does not, is like asking why some schools have them and other don't. The schools my daughters go to, one a high school, the other a college, neither have metal detectors), well, I guess they don't care about the students!!!

Geez!! It's the "world" we live in now! No place is totally safe, it's sad, it's so sad compared to the years I grew up in, but it's the way we have to live now. Live your life being scared to death that something might happen at the "mall, the amusement park, the movie theater, the grocery store, the sports stadium, anywhere you might be"! I don't live my life that way. If it's going to happen, it's gonna happen!!

Just keep having fun and doing the things you like to to do!! What happens happens!.

bjballer
11-03-2004, 03:46 PM

You shouldn't really care about time, you should care about safety. If you hate metal detectors, then you shouldn't go to Six FlagsMM/HH, disneyland or DCA. (prepare for something off-topic)Don't even go to the Staples Center in LA because they even have metal detectors there too, FYI Staples center is a sports arena

Franchise
11-03-2004, 03:48 PM
But you forget that CP draws a lot from Detroit and Cleveland, which are just as bad as Cincinnati. They bring in 3 million people a year, and less than 1% is from Sandsucky.

To answer the question: Cedar Point doesn't have them because they don't feel they need them. End of discussion.

You sir, are an idiot. Every park (yes even Six Flags parks) put safety first and the guests right behind safety. Saying one chain cares more about guests than the other is ignorance and shows your limited knowledge of the amusement industry.

Why the hell don't more parks have metal detectors? It will just take a second to go through them. Better safe then sorry, that is my outlook.

coasterlove
11-03-2004, 03:55 PM

True, but anytime I've been to Cedar Point, you rarely see any of the bad element or feel a little unsafe like I have at other parks.

BryanWood
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Why the hell don't more parks have metal detectors? It will just take a second to go through them. Better safe then sorry, that is my outlook.

A.) They feel they don't need them.

b.) Money. Metal Detectors are not cheap and staffing them also costs money every day.

There are a lot of parks who have no need for them. Hersheypark, Holiday World, Knoebel's, Cedar Point, Dorney...all park I've been to that don't have them. Why? They haven't had incidents that would spurn them to buy and staff them. Once again you show lack of knowledge in the realm of the amusement industry. Don't feel safe? Don't go!

Knoxville
11-03-2004, 05:06 PM
None of the Florida parks have metal detectors and there haven't been any incidents. Honestly, I'll feel safer at a park without metal detectors because obviously they don't feel the need to have them. The only time I've been through a metal detector at a park is SFMM and they put temporary detectors in for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal; both because of the different crowd they draw.

leeloo1953
11-03-2004, 05:12 PM
True, but anytime I've been to Cedar Point, you rarely see any of the bad element or feel a little unsafe like I have at other parks.

Wow, I don't even know what you mean by a bad element or feeling unsafe at any park I've been to. I just have never had that feeling. What parks are you people referring to? I'd really like to know. I have to believe they are not parks I've ever been to, so maybe I should consider them "parks" never to "go" to. Please, what "amusement" parks have bad elements??? I juist don't see those type of people being at an amusement park? Maybe I'm just to old to see stuff like that. Maybe I just see an Amusement Park as it should be and don't notice the bad seeds growing in these parks.

Well I leave it up to you young "good" but yet, "stick up for my beliefs" kids!! The Parks are going to end up in your future.

I'm sorry kids, I grew up with having to put up with people like Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Son of Sam. Not people like Osama. You could atcually protect yourself from the evil ones I grew up with. People like Osama, no, we can't protect ourselves from somebody like that. We just can't.

coasetrphil
11-03-2004, 07:36 PM
If you ever visit SFOG at the wrong time I think you would understand that feeling. Some parks just draw a very different type of crowd than other ones do.

CPdude05
11-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Don't even go to the Staples Center in LA because they even have metal detectors there too, FYI Staples center is a sports arena

I would go to a place with metal detectors I just believe that CP doesn't need them. And yes, I do know that the Staples Center is a sports arena, and no, I will never go there because the Lakers suck and it is like 1500 miles away from my house.

Oh noes!! The Palace of Auburn Hills doesn't even have metal detectors!! What shall we do??

Franchise
11-03-2004, 07:54 PM
A.) They feel they don't need them.

b.) Money. Metal Detectors are not cheap and staffing them also costs money every day.

There are a lot of parks who have no need for them. Hersheypark, Holiday World, Knoebel's, Cedar Point, Dorney...all park I've been to that don't have them. Why? They haven't had incidents that would spurn them to buy and staff them. Once again you show lack of knowledge in the realm of the amusement industry. Don't feel safe? Don't go!

Dude I said it just takes one time. So if you go to a park and get shot lets say from the first shooting at Cedar Point you wouldn't sue the park?

dkmaddog
11-03-2004, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't sue the park...they were not the ones who shot me! Anyways, At Cedar Point, there is a clear presence of park security, something that is less noticable at other parks. I just think Cedar Point takes a different approach than other parks. They seem to have more visable security on foot roaming the park than Paramount or Six Flags.

Franchise
11-03-2004, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't sue the park...they were not the ones who shot me! Anyways, At Cedar Point, there is a clear presence of park security, something that is less noticable at other parks. I just think Cedar Point takes a different approach than other parks. They seem to have more visable security on foot roaming the park than Paramount or Six Flags.

Most americans would sue the park for not having metal detectors if a person got shot. This is america, the land of sueing for anything.

bjballer
11-03-2004, 09:11 PM
someone has not been to Six Flags Magic Mountain (no offense, it's okay that you haven't been there in awhile, heck I haven't been to CP), not only do they security guards roaming the park, but they have a Los Angeles Conuty Sheriffs department station inside the park, having around 5/10 sheriff officers roaming the park too. Again, they also have metal detectors too.

I've gotten comments from guests saying that they've never seen so much tight security in a theme park.

having metal detectors upfront, plenty of guards roaming the park along with police officers....that's tough security right there.

bjballer
11-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Most americans would sue the park for not having metal detectors if a person got shot. This is america, the land of sueing for anything.
shootings happened at Magic Mountain but no (from what I heard) no lawsuits were filed

dkmaddog
11-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Well I have never been to SFMM (can't afford to go out west), but I have heard horror stories. I was speaking more in terms of midwestern parks. Comparing PKI to CP, PKI has metal detectors but it seems as if their is less of a security presence. CP has no metal detectors but more of a presence in security guards. I would actually like to see some stats on how many guards each park employs but that would probably be pretty tough to find. Any employees of these parks have info?

Macyismydog5
11-04-2004, 12:00 AM
One of my friends visited Camden Park last year, and you wanna talk aboit filthy and unsafe? By looking at the pictures I thought he needed a tetanous shot after walking in that park, the scariest park on earth, hmmmmm, maybe tied with SFMM, looking at the visitors in SFMM really makes me feel better about my family.

coasterlove
11-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Wow, I don't even know what you mean by a bad element or feeling unsafe at any park I've been to. I just have never had that feeling. What parks are you people referring to? I'd really like to know. I have to believe they are not parks I've ever been to, so maybe I should consider them "parks" never to "go" to. Please, what "amusement" parks have bad elements???

Well, just look at all the instances at various Six Flags parks across the country. Check out Screamscape's website, they have a whole bunch of things listed that happened this past weekend including a shooting in the parking lot of SFMW, I believe it was.

The park I was mainly speaking of from personal experience was SFGAm (my homepark). It's not terrible and I probably shouldn't have said that I'm worried when I'm there. Me and my friends are all fairly big, so we wouldn't personally worry about it but there are sometimes people there that look up to no good. In their defense, I haven't ever seen anything happen or heard of any major happenings there.

Although some of the guests are very rude and I'm sure if an average person were to say something to them, they might try to so start an altercation or at the very least intimidate them. With some of the rudness of the guests there, I've actually thought about starting fights with them. Some of the people there, I absolutely cannot stand.

Ta2KX
11-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Sandsucky.
Oh come on Bryan, you know it ain't all that bad. CP is a great place to make memories unless you forget them all at Louie's and the Dutch. And trimless rides on Magnum . . . mmm yeah.

Metal detectors at CP? Well, it is a safety precaution, good reccomendation, considering one of the cornerstone's CP stands upon is safety. I think the fact that CP doesn't need metal detectors is based on geographics. Yes, Detroit and Cleveland are close-by, but so close-by that someone will drive all the way to CP, packing a weapon expecting trouble in the populated Sandusky area? No, no one would do that in reason.

Six Flags St. Louis I noticed is stiff on weapons safety; likely because the downtown area is 15 minutes away. Six Flags Over Georgia is in about the same situation.

Terrorism? There are much bigger hits out there than TTD, and didn't the whole idea of a coaster terrorist dates back to that movie Rollercoaster with George Segal? So that withstanding, I think we're solid on amusement-land security.