PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Wooden

TopGun321
06-25-2001, 10:07 PM
What is the <!-- BBCode Start --><B>scariest</B><!-- BBCode End --> wooden coaster you've ever ridden?

Ben Keller
06-25-2001, 10:09 PM
Thunder Road.

GeorgiaSchorcherfreak
06-25-2001, 10:16 PM
Williams Grove Cyclone

Phelot
06-25-2001, 10:28 PM
Depends on what you mean by scary. The only woody I felt like I might actually fly out of was Ghostrider on the infamous 'drop'.
<BR>
<BR>The scariest situation for me has a tie. Many years ago, my brother and I were on the Great American Scream Machine (SFoG) where my brother almost floated out of the train on the initial drop. He didn't weigh much back then and seemed like he could have seriously slipped past the lap bar.
<BR>
<BR>The other situation was on Colossus last year. Some dumbasses brought a basketball they won at one of the games. While going up the lift, they decided to start throwing the ball high up in the air and catch it. That basketball could have meant a serious injury for those of us behind these idiots, but it could have caused a problem for any following trains if it got stuck on the track.
<BR>
<BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phelot on 2001-06-25 22:29 ]</font><BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phelot on 2001-06-26 21:04 ]</font>

Jerry Huster
06-26-2001, 04:04 AM
Good question! Easily, the scariest wooden coaster I've ever been on was the Screechin' Eagle at Americana park near Cincinnati. Not scary because of it's layout or anything...scary because when I rode it, it was in such disrepair that the entire back turn swayed WAY too far when the train when through the circuit. In fact, instead of replacing some of the supports that had begun to rot, they had nailed new lumber directly onto the rotting boards. Yeah, so perhaps that's why this great coaster isn't operating anymore (although I've heard it had been better in past years).

Medusa1861
06-26-2001, 04:10 AM
Rolling Thunder , because it looks like it could colapse, but scariest from being on the ride, Villain

JHaun61387
06-26-2001, 07:13 AM
The grizzly at kings dominion because it looks like it will colapse when you look at it from the line.

arlok2
06-26-2001, 07:22 AM
hercules cause it was so rough i thought that it did not have wheels.

KumbaNut
06-26-2001, 07:24 AM
You are all.... ninnys.

NitroExplodes
07-02-2001, 02:32 PM
I thought I would fly out on Rolling Thunder, but I knew I wouldn't. Every time i ride it My knees hit the one position lap bar. But I thought Gwazi was cool because it looked like it was going to hit the other train.

scaredbutloveit
07-02-2001, 02:55 PM
GhostRider, because it was so FAST!!!

coastergenius100
07-02-2001, 03:07 PM
I think Jackrabbit, because I thought that I would fall out with that airtime, and there wasn't much of a restraint.

Erik Johnson
07-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Anyone ridden the Riverside Cyclone before SFNE took over the park? It used to have Morgan trains (ouch!) and it was the most rickety, rough, yet wonderfully intense roller coaster I've ever ridden. Now, it's not all that thrilling. It's just plain rough.

SROS
07-02-2001, 03:58 PM
Yes I've been on the Riverside Cyclone many times, as I hail from the area. You're right, it used to be a pretty intense ride. I remember trying to scare other riders while waiting in line, pointing out how much the track swayed out at the top of the second drop when the train went by. And yes, I remember those painful Morgan trains too. Now, they've even decreased the first drop by almost half with the "repair" they're doing. It's so unfortunate, I actually enjoyed this ride at one time...

X-Marks-The-Spot
07-02-2001, 04:00 PM
Ghostrider

Apollo's Chariot
07-02-2001, 04:02 PM
Cony Island Cyclone. It looks like it just going to fall apart if a strong wind blows or a snezz for that matter

narciss
07-02-2001, 04:38 PM
I've only been on about 3 wooden coasters and none of them were very scary(Giant Dipper, Roar, Grizzly) Not a lot of intense coasters in the bay area.I Have been to sfmm but diddnt have time to ride any of the wooden coasters unfortunately.

coaster man098
07-02-2001, 04:40 PM
well on thunderhalk today my friends finger went in my eye, but the scaryiest is probably rotting lumber at SFGAdv, it really does feel like it will fall.

may the FORCE be with you
07-02-2001, 04:50 PM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-07-02 15:07, coastergenius100 wrote:
<BR>I think Jackrabbit, because I thought that I would fall out with that airtime, and there wasn't much of a restraint.
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>Definitely. One time when i was 10 i think, i was a single rider, so i had no restraint at all. And that killer airtime threw me out of the train, i'm lucky i grabbed on at the last second. I still keep my hands up though!!!

RollerCoasterer
07-02-2001, 04:55 PM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-07-02 16:50, may the FORCE be with you wrote:
<BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2001-07-02 15:07, coastergenius100 wrote:
<BR>I think Jackrabbit, because I thought that I would fall out with that airtime, and there wasn't much of a restraint.
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
<BR>Definitely. One time when i was 10 i think, i was a single rider, so i had no restraint at all. And that killer airtime threw me out of the train, i'm lucky i grabbed on at the last second. I still keep my hands up though!!!
<BR>
<BR>Good, I guess I'm not the only one who was a little nervous about that double dip.... while I didnt think I was going to come out of my seat. After riding it once and experience that double dip (AKA: you're first glimpse of Heaven), I immediately got on again. However, this time there was a small child, very small and skinny, probably about 5 years old riding it with his hands up! Luckily, before we went through the double dip, his father, sitting next to him, began to hold on to him.

X Marks The Spot
07-02-2001, 09:43 PM
When I was 7 on the Georgia Cyclone @SFoG, the lapbar was like 8-10inches away from my waist and would go down any further. My Dad had to hold me all through the ride or I probably would have been thrown out of the train.
<BR>
<BR>X

Coaster Boy
07-02-2001, 09:51 PM
Son of Beast. That coaster scared me to death when t suddenly sped up the lift hill and ROARED over the top. At the end of the ride I actually had tears in my eyes(from pain, not fear).

Honan Beetch
07-02-2001, 10:00 PM
Son of Beast because of its intimidating height and speed. The structure itself looks scary 'cause it feel slike it's gonna crumble, knowing that it's all wood.

americanaguy
07-21-2001, 01:34 PM
American Eagle at Six Flags Great America, I thought the train was going to come off of the track in the helix. I will never ride this coaster again unless I am trying to comit suicide.

Wackokid
07-21-2001, 01:42 PM
Ghostrider i thought i was going to fly out on the first drop

Andy Hodgson
07-21-2001, 01:50 PM
the scariest ride ive ever had on a wooden coaster was on June 26th, 2001 at SFMM
it was my 6th straight ride on Psyclone. I was riding in the front and wasnt expecting it to be as rough as it was in the back. anyways we went down the first drop and were coming up and turning around the top of the second hill, the train took a hard left turn and half of me went flying out and my arm hit the wooden hand rail and i got three huge splinters in my arm.

it was scary!:(

Inferno
08-26-2001, 01:02 AM
I've never really been scared, but the Beast at night is awesome. It feels like something is gonna get you when you're in the tunnels.

DrachenFire96
08-26-2001, 01:19 AM
Scariest only because I thought it was gonna blow apart, and I was blinded by rust flying off the track as the coaster ran on....Rolling Thunder. Wildest and most unpredictable, would go to Legend.

viperlord
08-26-2001, 01:30 AM
I'll have to say Gwazi,I don't know why but I always feel like i'm going to fly out on it.

RCTfreak
08-26-2001, 02:15 AM
The Beast because you can not see basiclly any of the coaster intill you ride.

and,

Son of Beast for its loop and the plain hight of it.

Pantera Psycho
08-26-2001, 03:33 AM
Legend! I was scared because I thought I was dead and in heaven, could a coaster really be that good?

Wackokid
08-26-2001, 03:55 AM
Ghostrider
that first drop is SO scary it feels like are you going to hit the cover on the drop
i cant believe the lady who had the lapbar break off (it has seatbelts) was so calm about it
she just walked up to the op and said "Here's your lapbar, thanks for the ride"

dancoop
08-26-2001, 09:29 AM
Son of Beast. I have seen chains break on bicycles and motor bikes. What would happen if the lift chain broke when you were almost at the top. It's so steep and so high that you would wind up back in the load house backwards at 60 mph. That would be very scary.

BrooklynRider
08-26-2001, 10:51 AM
I agree with the person who said the Williams Grove Cyclone. This is certainly one of the sacriest. The control panel is nailed to a piece of plywood with extension cords and wires hanging all over the place. The coaster doesn't so much roll down the first drop as much as fall over the hill and smash into the bottom of the hill. The end of the bunny hops has a trim brake area that was so rusted, that as I pointed it out to my buddy the train caje to a complete stop as we rode over it. The ride operator (smiling his dreamy one tooth smile) had to come over and push the train into the station. That is scary.

I think I've ridden around 40 Woodies. I think the most intense woodie out there is the Riverside Cyclone. A real diabolical coaster.

Then there are the coasters designed and built by Curtis Summers. They aren't so much scary as they are rough and just bad rides.

I would also like to register my objections to parks altering coaster designs to tame them. If a woodie is designed to roll without trim brakes along its course - THEN LEAVE IT ALONE. Many a great coaster has been emasculated by litigation fearing park operators.

And there is my opinion.

Cheers!

edh101985
08-26-2001, 10:54 AM
Georgia Cyclone. I felt like i was going fly out. That ride is rough. It probably was because i was in the last row.

stoogood123
08-26-2001, 11:19 AM
grizzly i thought i was going to die because it was so rough

chilled
08-26-2001, 11:31 AM
wild cat at hershey park

goliathrules
08-26-2001, 08:04 PM
Ghostrider is most definitely the most scariest ride. The Drop right after the blocks is soooooo scary. I was sitting in the very back and I watched each car go over and disappear one by one. That Drop yanks you down and you are out of your seat the whole time. SCARY!

goliathrules
08-26-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Wackokid
Ghostrider
that first drop is SO scary it feels like are you going to hit the cover on the drop
i cant believe the lady who had the lapbar break off (it has seatbelts) was so calm about it
she just walked up to the op and said "Here's your lapbar, thanks for the ride"

LOL!!!

Ioa Master
08-26-2001, 08:08 PM
Gwazi , Two Words : First Duel

goliathrules
08-26-2001, 08:16 PM
My very first woodie was also one of the scariest experinces I ever had. It was Rolling Thunder at SFGAdv. Even though it had a tiny 80 foot initial drop, I was screaming like a girl the whole way down. That's because I hadn't gotten used to that "drop feeling." The coaster had so many drops and I was like screaming " STOP, STOP, THat's enough!!!!!" Also the coaster was so rough that it I thought that we were going to derail! It gave me the impression the all woodies were that rough. After a ride on that, I had lost my fear of drops. After the ride was over my heart was beating like a Travis Barker drum roll.

Dr.Corkscrew
08-26-2001, 08:19 PM
The Comet at Great Escape. The airtime is tremendous especially on the second-to-last set of bunny hills and the drop next to the station. Also u get thrown around so much u wonder if youre going to rupture your spleen before the ride is over, especially in the back. :)

The_Evil_Tediz
08-26-2001, 08:21 PM
I havent been scared on any wooden coaster, but the most nervous I have been is on the Rebel Yell backwards side. It is an entirely new experience going backwards.

coastercory06
08-26-2001, 08:23 PM
The Hurricane at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion scared me quite a bit. The main reason was looking at those helixes and thinking about how many lateral Gs they had. And, boy did it have some laterals. But, it was a tad too painful for my tastes.

J-Brew2001
08-26-2001, 08:24 PM
Now I am really dying to ride Ghostrider! Has anyone been on GR and SOB? Which is scarier?

Aaron
08-27-2001, 01:14 AM
Ghostrider. On that first drop, I was positive that I would fly right out of the car.

B&M Fanatic
08-27-2001, 06:24 AM
Boulder Dash

kjm3388
08-27-2001, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Medusa1861
Rolling Thunder , because it looks like it could colapse, but scariest from being on the ride, Villain

Yep. The right side of rolling thunder is really harsh and so is the left Dont ride it

gravitron
08-27-2001, 08:26 AM
IVE RIDDEN ghostrider and son of beast. son of beast was scarier but ghostrider had the better ride. it had more airtime and was just more fun.

antfarm007
08-27-2001, 08:57 AM
The Blue Streak, SOB, and the Beast are the only woodies that scare me

Ler Llama
08-27-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Inferno
I've never really been scared, but the Beast at night is awesome. It feels like something is gonna get you when you're in the tunnels.

I would have to agree. And I would add to that: the Beast...at night...when its chilly...and its been drizzling. That makes the Beast mad!

DougM
08-27-2001, 10:37 AM
Its sad that so many formally greats have gone neglected as they age. Rolling Thunder, Riverside Cyclone, and Grizzily were great rides that are brain smashing head hurting rough rides.

CoolCoasterKid
08-27-2001, 11:02 AM
I'd say the Coney Island Cyclone was the scariest, because it is so old and twisty. Plus it was raining when I went, so the ride looked kind of gloomy.

After that would be Thunderhawk and Rolling Thunder. Thunderhawk has insane airtime, and Rolling Thunder looks very neglected, so it's a bit scary going on in the dark.

beltzies64
08-27-2001, 11:02 AM
Jackrabbit could be scary to some people since there is no restraint except a leather strap.

TopGun77
08-27-2001, 11:55 AM
Woodewn coasters dont generally scare me, except SOB, that thing was intense as hell and just the thot of goign therough a loop made out of wood......

radioactiveduck
08-27-2001, 12:26 PM
Ghostrider. One time I rode in the back at night and we were at the top of the lift hill and before I knew what hit me I was being jerked over the first drop. The accleration and air time surprised me so much that all I could do was scream Oh S@#T !!!

Tanner_J
08-27-2001, 01:10 PM
It was SOB for me. I mean it was my first really really really really big coaster. And when you look at the lift hill and you see the bent boards and hear the chain lift going CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK and the angle its at if you fall and getting stuck at the top of the hill and my lapbar breaking and I figured I'd be fine since it's a woodie......Oh yeah it has a loop. Then I was thinking what I would do if I fell out and oh well you get the idea.

Tanner Johnson
Real World Simulations
http://www.geocities.com/propcargoceo

Erik Johnson
08-27-2001, 01:31 PM
All threads that ask any of the following need to be posted in the "Polls" Forum.

-"What is the best..........?"
-"What is the worst..........?"
-"..........versus.........."
-"What's your favorite..........?"
-"What's your least favorite..........?"
-"Which is better..........or..........?"
-"Which is worse..........or.........."?
-Any other superlative

I'm moving this thread to "Polls" now.

Jokercoaster
09-19-2001, 08:47 PM
Rolling Thunder at SFGAdv. because it feels like it will collapse.

RagingBull#1
09-19-2001, 08:48 PM
SOB oh man that first drop is lethal and the loop ohhhhhhhh man

DrachenFire96
09-20-2001, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Pantera Psycho
Legend! I was scared because I thought I was dead and in heaven, could a coaster really be that good?

AMEN. Every ride was pure intensity and adrenaline...unrelenting fury. Glad to see another fan of this coaster, its my fav of all wood coasters!

Graham
01-27-2002, 12:22 AM
Son of Beast because of its height.

APJSFR1
01-27-2002, 09:22 AM
I would probably have to say either Son of Beast or Ghostrider they just seem to be the scariest and tallest. I hope to ride them someday! Can't wait until Cedar Point in June, it will be my first trip! I can't wait!

:D

phantompenguin
01-27-2002, 10:00 AM
the 80 foot tall Jack Rabbit still scares the hell out of me, that double dip is intimidating, it feels like the train is flying off the track!

Marcus
01-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Mean Streak because of the fear in the back of your mind that this thing is just a pile of wood with nail thrown at it and could collaspe at any time. If a Vertigo tower can fall, Mean Steak doesnt look too safe anymore.

phantompenguin
01-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Mean Streak would be a close second for me

that coaster is just too damned rough, my friend blacked out on it last year, he lost his vision for 5 minutes, scary moment.

IB Maniac
01-27-2002, 10:34 PM
Son of Beast...it's sheer height, how it speeds up down the little hill at the top of the lift before the first drop. And oh man, that first helix is so intense, it's unbelievable. If you think the helix on the Beast is intense, you haven't seen nothing...

C
01-27-2002, 11:04 PM
Ghostrider, that ride was just crazy

PhantomRevnge67
01-28-2002, 10:42 AM
jackrabbit riding in the back seat. the amount of airtime scares me.