PDA

View Full Version : Phones

Skye
11-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Which model is this? I'm on 02 now, my contract is up in december, but the phone appears to be unbranded. Still 1.3MP is pretty good. And a video camera (although these things can only hold about 3 mins of video).

http://xrange.o2.co.uk/home.html

more specific: http://xrange.o2.co.uk/x3.html

bk2004
11-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Holy Cow! That phone is the most advanced phone I've ever seen. Now I want one. :)

Can't you just buy one and then you just have to phone so you can choose your own service provider?

coasterlove
11-16-2004, 01:09 PM
No, generally you have to buy phones that the particular cell service provider carries it and operates on their service. If you notice, many times, a few providers will use the same model of phone but they have it in their own box and the phone itself will have the provider's logo on it. I'm not sure how it works but the phone is set up to work only for that particular carrier.

As for the phone in the link, it looks really impressive. Unless I missed it, I couldn't even find what company manufactured the phone. It's amazing how much these cell phones do now. When I got my first cell phone six years ago, you know what it did? It made phone call....that's it. The only features it had were caller I'd which at the time was a selling point. It also has voice mail and a whopping 5 ringtones and if you wanted it vibrate when you got a phone call, you could just shake it real fast while your phone was ringing.

Now between my two pones, I have two camaras, internet, AOL Instant Messenger, text messaging, vibrate, downloadable ringtones, color screen, games, Bluetooth, Infrared, GPS and more and already that's becoming the norm. Some of the phones coming out now have features that blow me away and make my phones that I got in the last year look like they came from the stone age.

Skye
11-16-2004, 02:54 PM
yeah my nokia 7250i is only 11 months old that was hi-tech when i got it!!!

Yeah i could buy that phone or another like it but it would cost 200.

Way it works here is either:

you buy a pay as you go phone and use top up vouchers from shops. Phones cost 30-200 but the latest phones are always 150+.

You get a contract. I would get the phone 'free' by paying 30/month for min 12 months. Included in that i would get 200 anytime/anynetwork minutes and 50 free text messages a month. This is my current deal and about what i use. When free mins have gone they start charging for the calls, but i rarely go over the limit.

Normally the provider will give you a selction of phones (on a contract) to choose from and then pick a tarrif. Depending on the tariff you buy, you pay more or less for the phone (but on most tarrifs the phone ends up being free of charge). Even the cheapest tarriff and the most expensive phone combo is only like 50 for the phone.
These phones usually include all the latest brands - nokia, sony etc.. But this year for some reason 02 started offering their own phones as well(see link above). Presumably unbranded they can get them cheaper and sell them cheaper..........that phone does sound impressve though for free dosn't it? To get the phone free i would have to pay 25/month (100 free mins/month) or 30 (200 free mins/month).

Don't know if its actually any good though................i get the impression though o2 are going to really push their own brand phones over christmas as a deal.........

other phones are avaiable...........heres the current choice from o2

http://shop.o2.co.uk/choosehandsets

None of those nokias have a 1.3mp camera though. I like nokias but theres no point overpaying for a brand......a functional phone is more important.

There are several other providers.............what phones do you think, then i can search to see what the other providers are offering with the handset/tarrif deals.

The market is extremly competitive here, but i only got a choice of 4 realyl - vodafone, orange, 02 and t-mobile.

I had vodafone before and wasn't too impressed. Orange offer strange deals that are as comvient for me. Also i know 02 has a strong signal where i go to university (for some reason it appears to be a weak signal area for some people)

Edit: just the nokia range

http://shop.o2.co.uk/cgi-bin/o2uk/jsp/handset/SelectHandset.do?pageMode=null&manufacturer=nokia&x=9&y=6

Edit 2: this looks nice. Only 1 mpixel camera but its got .mp3 player and everything still. nokia 7610

http://shop.o2.co.uk/cgi-bin/o2uk/jsp/handsets/viewHandsetDetails.jsp?prodID=consumer:NOK:7610:On line200:Package

Homer
11-16-2004, 07:54 PM
This is my phone;
http://www.a1wireless.com/Images/Products/Small/nokia3595(att)_s.jpg
Yea, old, but its a phone...

Kyle L
11-16-2004, 11:18 PM
What is with people and owning these expensive, do it all, snazzy phones? My cell phone is 7 years old. Its the big, old, clunky Nokia with changable faceplates. It calls people, stores their numbers, and can recieve messages.

I do not need "Hay take sum pixx wit my camera!!!" I use my phone to call people.

Skye
11-17-2004, 11:40 AM
But you don't carry a camera round with you, but you always carry your phone. So when you go out with friends having a camera is great, becasue there are always loads of good photos to take and see the next morning, especially when everyone is drunk, its funny. Thats what most people use them for i think but there are other times they are useful. When i had a (small) car accident i use the phone to take pictures of the scene because i had my phone on me. Also they are digital - i don't own a digital camera seperatly.

An mp3 player isn't bad either - i don't own one (although if my minidisc keeps breaking all the time that could change) altohugh memory is very limited its enough for short one day trips.

coasterlove
11-17-2004, 12:25 PM
What is with people and owning these expensive, do it all, snazzy phones? My cell phone is 7 years old. Its the big, old, clunky Nokia with changable faceplates. It calls people, stores their numbers, and can recieve messages.

I do not need "Hay take sum pixx wit my camera!!!" I use my phone to call people.

Why critisize it? If it's not for you, it's not for you then. A lot of people like having that kind of stuff. Also as Skye said, it's nice having the camera with it so you can take pictures whenever you want. Who wants to carry all these things along with you all the time? This way you can have a lot of the stuff you would want to carry with you inside one thing, your cell phone. As for the games, it's cool sometimes if you got a little time on your hands to waste....like waiting in line for a coaster would be a great example. If you don't like it, that's cool but many people do.

Besides if you had a new phone, people wouldn't laugh at your old broke ass "Nokia with the changeable faceplates". ;)

Oh and to bug you a little more, :D I'm strongly considering getting a Bluetooth wireless headset for my phone too.

Coastr Crazy 72
11-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I have GPS, internet browsing, and a whole load more on my phone. I can honestly say I use it all too. I have the nextel i730.

Skye
11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
I never use internet browsing because wap isn't that great, it can never view this site for example.

CL has another good point - if it breaks i would have to buy another anyway. But a new one has 12 month warrenty. Of my last 3 contract phones, 2 have broken so that they had to be sent away for repairs. Sometimes my fault a bit but its a phone, i'm obviosuly carry it around and they get damaged.

Skye
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
^bump (mods this site isn't exactly full of activity so just please allow some old threads to be bumped - it make the boards more interesting you never know).

Anyway i ordered the nokia 7610 - Phone was free for 30 ($60)/month line rental which includes 6 hours of free phone calls. $60 sounds expensive but thats only becasue the $ is so weak right now, 30 is quite high but not excessive for phone rental here.

coasterlove
12-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Don't worry Skye, I'll properly bump the thread for you since I as well got a new phone. I also got the Bluetooth wireless headset.

The phone is a Motorola, it's a flip phone which I usually don't like, but this one is very nice. I think the model name/number is 551. It has a camera, speaker phone, takes actual video and a bunch of other features I don't totally understand yet. I like the video feature since I can take video clips of coaster as well as pics since the camera on it isn't half bad.

The Bluetooth wireless headset, I'll sadly have to return it. I tried it with my old phone and for some reason it could [NOT (edit)] "locate" the headset. I wasn't to worried since I wanted to get a new phone anyway and the new one (the Motorola) would have Bluetooth as well. I just thought it was the old phone but the new one can't locate it either. Hopefully if I get it replaced, it will owrk or I'll just have to get my money back.

Skye
12-03-2004, 04:54 PM
it could just be broken.

this is what i've ordered

http://playmobile.ru/img/nokia7610_01.jpg

Best thing about it i think (i only just noticed this afterwards) is the .mp3 player. You can buy 64mb memory cards to go in it (it has 8mb internal and comes with 1 64mb card). So its a decent .mp3 player too!

It has a video camera as well. Only 10mins with card but if i can get another removeable card for it i'll be able to record more video/get more music to carry around.

bk2004
12-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Woah, that phone is sleek. I can't wait until later in life until I am able to order this stuff on my own! I love 'gadets' and I want the top of the line for all of them, or at least a lot of bells and whistles on each of them.

Those buttons on the phone are weird!!

Diesel
12-03-2004, 08:28 PM
That phone looks like a major pain in the ass to dial.

I see many wrong numbers in your future.

Kyle L
12-03-2004, 09:08 PM
But you don't carry a camera round with you, but you always carry your phone. So when you go out with friends having a camera is great, becasue there are always loads of good photos to take and see the next morning, especially when everyone is drunk, its funny. Thats what most people use them for i think but there are other times they are useful. When i had a (small) car accident i use the phone to take pictures of the scene because i had my phone on me. Also they are digital - i don't own a digital camera seperatly.

An mp3 player isn't bad either - i don't own one (although if my minidisc keeps breaking all the time that could change) altohugh memory is very limited its enough for short one day trips.

If I need a camera, I take it with me. Camera quality on phones sucks, period.

And I don't even take my phone places. I only use it when I organize things and need to call friends. It's also always stored in my Camelbak or something in case I fall and I seriously wreck myself biking, or snowboarding.

coasterlove
12-04-2004, 12:33 AM
It's a nice looking phone but the button layout is a little strange. I've seen that with some of the newer Nokia's, they always try to do some weird layout to make their phones look cool. I personally like a more traditional layout for my phone's buttons.

Cuddy
12-04-2004, 01:50 AM
I don't even own a cell phone. In fact, I got laughed at when my younger cousins had me call my brother on one of their phones to which I replied, "How do you work this?" Why should a phone look so complicated, er sleek? If I want a cell phone, I'lll get one for what is intended for...making and receiving calls. I don't need Instant messaging or internet (got my trusty PC for that), nor any ringtones that play anything from Beethoven's 5th to Eminem (a normal ring or vibration is fine and annoying enough), nor camera (see reasons others listed above). But the main thing is, I don't want to be saddled with a contract if I want to opt out of it. Plus I enjhoy the times I can't be reached. By having a cellphone, that would mean anyone could get in touch with me at any time...

Now in emergencies, these would be good to have...and I guess I'm one of those old-fashioned fuddy-duddys that doesn't "get" this new technology.

Skye
12-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Woah, that phone is sleek. I can't wait until later in life until I am able to order this stuff on my own! I love 'gadets' and I want the top of the line for all of them, or at least a lot of bells and whistles on each of them.

Those buttons on the phone are weird!!

Yep they are but they were on my old old phone too - you get used to them pretty quick, so i'm not too bothered. You can get this stuff, just ask your parents for christmas or save up or something. I think this phone costs 280 ($550) without a contract. I have a contract (pay monthly) deal so it works out better value whne buying a new phone.

Camera quality on phones sucks, period.

This has a 1 megapixel camera. Not too bad.

Now in emergencies, these would be good to have...and I guess I'm one of those old-fashioned fuddy-duddys that doesn't "get" this new technology.

Yes you are :)

Just found out you can buy 512mb cards for it for about 40 which is good, lots of video recording. I'm going to get a cable to transfer all the media to my pc.

bk2004
12-04-2004, 01:14 PM
$550! What! I had no idea that any cell phone can cost that much. Even with a contract that must be expensive! Nokia is high! I wouldn't get a cell phone even if I asked for one for Christmas. First, that one is too expensive and second I have like zero dollars to buy even a pack of gum and plus any money that I get I need to save up for insurance. But once I get my license I think my parents are going to get one of those family plans because I'll have to have one. But the phones are going to be old and dumb. Like the ones that they give to you.

Skye
12-04-2004, 01:42 PM
http://www.simplymobilephones.com/GSM_NOK_7610.html?mv_pc=adwords

it is a lot of money by any standards but it sounds more expensive becasue your $ is so high right now (1=$2 or near enough). So it translates as about $550 but it would probably cost you maybe $450.

My phone was free but my contract means i pay 360 ($720) over a year (30/month) but that includes 6 hours of free calls and text messages and all my line rental (line rental includes the cost of the phone really).

Like the ones that they give to you
Didn't understand that.

The basic phones are much more expensive becasue they are bought from a shop which makes about 70 profit on it. With a contract the operator bulk buys them and passes them on without much profit so overall they work out much cheaper. I couldn't afford to buy that phone outright either.

coasterlove
12-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Speaking of expensive phones, I'd love to have gotten the Motorola Razr phone. It's awesome looking. But the price made me reconsider getting it. The price ranges from $499-599 depending if you agree to a contract. I had a coupon for it that when you signed up, you would get an extra $100 off but you're still talking about paying $399 for a phone. It's probably the nicest looking phone I've ever seen but the price was just a little too much. I was happy spending $150 which will be $100 after the mail in rebate (which I hate doing).

Skye
12-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Maybe its not such a big deal there. Here everyone always seems to have the latest phone, just the way it is. i guess its just fasionable.

Dan G
12-05-2004, 03:32 AM
I think this is by far the coolest looking phone out right now...And it's pretty cheap at $199.999 right now. It's way better than most phones out right now which I've seen prices up to $250 dollars.

http://www.t-mobile.com/images/promos/sidekickII.jpg

MOD EDIT: Please do not leech images from other sites, it is not allowed and hurts the bandwidth of other sites. -Bryan

bk2004
12-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Is that a T-mobile sidecick? yes, that does look stunning, and especially with all of the features and everything you can do with it!

Skye- Cingular gives you a free phone with some plans-but they suck.

Skye
12-05-2004, 12:54 PM
which would be helpful maybe i lived in the US.......I've never even heard of that company.

Here we get a choice of t-mobile, o2, vodafone, virgin and orange. I think you get at least two of those.

bk2004
12-05-2004, 12:56 PM
What! That sounds so weird. But yeah, the phone is just plain. Nothing but a color screen. It even has a mirror in the cover of it lol.

I've heard of T-Mobile and Virgin. But other than that, nothing else. Oh yeah, and Nokia.

Skye
12-05-2004, 01:35 PM
I'm sure you have vodafone of some sort, maybe they trade under a different name, but its a british company.

virgin........have some odd deals. Mostly they are pushing cheap phone calls but most people want contracts and new handsets which virgin don't offer, so its mostly a pay as you go type company.

Same with orange the packages they have are odd (like give you 2000 free texts to be used in the first 3 months) but a poor package after those 3 months. Vodafone don't have a great signal where i'm at uni. o2 i have now just by default really but they are pretty good.

coasterlove
12-05-2004, 06:17 PM
I think this is by far the coolest looking phone out right now...And it's pretty cheap at $199.999 right now. It's way better than most phones out right now which I've seen prices up to $250 dollars.

http://www.t-mobile.com/images/promos/sidekickII.jpg

I thought about getting that one since I have the first one. It's what I use much of the time including right now for the internet. I decided not to get it since it didn't offer much more than the first model. It wasnnt really worth it for me. The new features that I know of are Yahoo Instant Messenger and a built in camera. The first model had only AOL Instant Messenger and you had to buy a camera accessory which can be cumbersome when you want to take pictures. While those extra features are nice with the SideKickII, it wasn't spending another $200 after just getting my SideKick earlier this year.

Skye
12-06-2004, 08:07 AM
i've only had nokia phones really, they are the best for texting and stuff like that, some of the other models can be a hassle

RllrCoasterFan
12-06-2004, 12:44 PM
I finally got a phone and am excited about it. It was supposed to be for Christmas but my mom and dad decided to let me have it early. It is a Motorola V180. It has everything I want in a phone and no, no pictures, I really don't get the point of that. i guess it would be nice but I don't really care. I just wanted a phone. My mom and dad bought new phones for them too they got a Nokia 3100, I think.

Skye
12-06-2004, 02:27 PM
no pictures, I really don't get the point of that.

to take photos.

coasterlove
12-06-2004, 11:40 PM
i've only had nokia phones really, they are the best for texting and stuff like that

Actually the Sidekick would take that honor. It has a QWERTY keypad. None of that "I need to type a 'C', I gotta hit the 2 key three times. Now I want the letter 'A', now I have to wait for the letter 'C' to finish, oh shoot, it didn't go in, now I have to hit 2 three more times."

Basically, a message that takes two minutes to type on 0-9 keypad, I can type in about 15 seconds.

bk2004
12-06-2004, 11:43 PM
/\ Same with palm pilots and Graphitti 2, though it is easier and faster than the 0-9 keypad.

How much is it for service for the Side-kick?

Dan G
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
My last phone was a Motorola v120c and I hated the damn thing...Like coasterlove said, text messaging was horrible and I hated spending two minutes on a very short message. And trying to have a conversation was just as bad. I'm planning on getting a phone with a keypad like the one Nokia for my next phone. I don't think I'll be able to afford the sidekick even If I am getting a job.

coasterlove
12-07-2004, 02:01 AM
How much is it for service for the Side-kick?

For internet service by itself, it's $30. If you have a voice plan for it, the internet is only $20. I only use the Sidekick for the net, it's too big and bulky to use as a phone, at least in my opinion. Phone rates vary and it might even depend onn where you live.

Steven
12-07-2004, 02:46 AM
I used to have an older TDMA phone (Nokia 1260). It was a great basic phone. However, since Cingular bought AT&T Wireless (my provider), and because I think Cingular's plans suck, I went and renewed it early for 2 years, and made the jump to GSM got an LG 1150 (I also changed my plan to a nationwide plan, which I was planning on doing at the end of my contract anyway, I just renewed it early for 2 years)...

http://www.attwireless.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pop_phonedetails.jhtml?id=3100017&titleNumber=1

I wanted a basic camera phone, just for impromptu shots, because I have a 4 megapixel digital that is capable of everything else. So I got that. So far, it's awesome. The beauty is that now since I'm on the GSM network, my text messages work at work, and I get Internet on my phone there as well. My old TDMA plan was a regional plan (great lakes region), but my text messages didn't work where I work. Another nice thing is at least I can roam overseas with this phone, since it supports the European GSM bands.

Oh, and Andrew (Polcyn) has used my older phone. Only he didn't have to do any dialing (since it was a common friend that dialed in)

Skye
12-07-2004, 05:36 AM
GSM network, my text messages work at work, and I get Internet on my phone there as well. My old TDMA plan was a regional plan (great lakes region), but my text messages didn't work where I work. Another nice thing is at least I can roam overseas with this phone, since it supports the European GSM bands.

Another great european invention (GSM), which we had since 1993, and all phones after about 1995 used it (digital handsets).

Probably why phones are so much more popular here even though they are a little more expensive, becasue things like text messages and roaming always worked almost perfectly, and the phone companies had things like cross network text messaging much earlier (they were a little slow to get MMS sorted though).

bk2004
12-07-2004, 11:00 AM
For internet service by itself, it's $30. If you have a voice plan for it, the internet is only $20. I only use the Sidekick for the net, it's too big and bulky to use as a phone, at least in my opinion. Phone rates vary and it might even depend onn where you live.

So your saying you can literally get on TN and like post and got to other site and watch videos and just literally do anything normal, or is it restrictedb like phones?

coasterlove
12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
So your saying you can literally get on TN and like post....

I'm posting right now. In fact most of my posting over the last year has been on my Sidekick. That's why my post count has jumped dramatically. Anytime I'm bored or waiting for something, I'll head to TN and check out what's going on. It's nice to also check sports scores, chat with friends and that. It's just nice being able to check out the net without having to sit at the computer or even when I'm out doing stuff.

....and got to other site and watch videos and just literally do anything normal, or is it restrictedb like phones?

You can go to other sites and most you can view without too many problems. I can also check E-Mail from Hotmail (but no pictures or animations) as well as a convient "T-Mail" acount that comes with the phone. What you can't do however is watch any types of videos or hear sound from the net. For example, moving banner and pop-ups don't come up since the phone only has one browser.

The phone does have limitations and is also very slow compared to even dial-up internet. So you have to be patient because it certainly isn't lightening speed. Of course I didn't have high expectations for something relatively cheap and is wireless. I don't know if the new Sidekick is more advanced or any faster when it comes to the net. I'm sure the folks at T-Mobil would tell you it is, many salespeople will say anything to get someone to buy their product.

In the near future, there will be some very fast and not so expensive products that allow for portable full internet. I read a review of someone using a PDA like device with an internet card or something. He said it was very fast and also very reliable. The only downside was the price of service. If I reember correctly, it was about $80 a month. If it came down to $50, I'd consider getting that.

Skye
12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
wheres your sig from? A random guess i would think fight club......

coasterlove
12-07-2004, 09:00 PM
^^[speaking of my old signature]

Fight Club is a great movie but nope not from there. It's actually from American Beauty. I thought about possibly bringing back an old thread too about movie quotes. I might still do it too.

To keep it on topic, cell phones rulz. How can people live nowadays without them?

bk2004
12-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Woah, I so want a sidekick now!

I have seen the commericials for them and have always wondered what they were al about. Thanks coasterlove for that explination. :D

coasterlove
12-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Just remeber, if you were to get one, that there are limitations in what it can do. I'm happy with it for what it si but don't expect the internet to be exactly as it is on your PC. If you have anymore questions, post them here, PM or IM me.

Skye
12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
i pick up my 7610 tomorrow, not sure what is happening to my 7250i yet, i might sell it. First i'm going to see if any of my family wants it but if not it might have to go on ebay to raise some money.......

bk2004
12-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Have you see the new Motto Razors? Those things look really cool. And aren't the buttons like touch scensors and not actualy buttons? Man would I love to get my hands on a real working one of these, but not to have one. I'd rather have a Side kick.

coasterlove
12-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I've seen the Motorola Razr phone. I was in fact thinking about that one until I saw the price tag of it. It's anywhere from $399-$599 depending on the deal you get. I just ended up getting the Motorola V551. The buttons on the Razr are actual buttons but it's said that they were lazer vut or something like that. I've seen it a Cingular store and it is a nice phone, just too expensive for a phone that it's major advantage is that it's much "prettier" looking. The features aren't that much more advanced than other phones that are half the price.

bk2004
12-09-2004, 12:08 PM
What! It's $299-$599. That is redculous! I could almost get a laptop for not much more! :eek:

That's just crazy. Why would that phone be so much and the Sidekick be so cheap when all it is, is basically a little computer.

And coasterlove, the instant messenger is AIM and not just for chat to other Side kicker's?

coasterlove
12-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Basically, the reason the Razr is so expensive is because it's meant to be a trendy phone based on it's looks. Just like some cars cost so much more just because they look nicer than other models but the stuff under the hood is relatively the same.

The older model of the Sidekick which I have uses AIM to chat. The new model will have AIM as well as Yahoo messenger. I actually chat with a few people from TN on it. It works very well for chatting on the messenger service.

Skye
12-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Just got my 7610 today, although it arrived a few days ago. Its quite big but no heavier than the 7250i.

Picture qualitly is very good. I'm going to try and put sonme .mp3s on it, although apparently it only plays mono which is a little anoying (although some people say they get stereo which is weird).

I don't think i can do that now or upload pics becasue this computer i'm on only has win 98, the nokia software needs xp supposedly. I'll give it a try with some other software, but i don't think it'll work becasue it is only a phone browser, it dosn't have usb drivers for the nokia data cable. It might find it though.

Haven't really been able to use it much but i use my phone all the time so i will over the weekend.

I'll try and get some photos up............

bk2004
12-09-2004, 10:14 PM
You mean you just got the phone that you posted a picture of? Wow that's insane! I want one so bad. ;) Yeah, electronic photo's are great and what I mean by that is like on cell phones and things.

My Sony Clie takes great pictures, but the only thing is that they are pretty small.

Skye
12-10-2004, 07:33 AM
I'' put a pic up soon. I can't show you any pics from the phone just yet becasue my computer at home has win98 and the usb cable just won't work with it. I have a newer computer at uni when i go back in a few days, so i can upload some examples. They included an example with the phone, its pretty good close up, but it dosn't show the background detail............hmmmm what they hiding? I'll just have to try it out for myself i guess!!!! Video camera qualitly is so poor to be almost usless, except for recording someones face close up, which i suppose it does ok.

this is it:

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/6016/1000004img9ey.jpg

Got some cool features too, like find the network positioning, so it uses the cells to find where you are and you can tell it to find the nearest petrol station or cash machine.

coasterlove
12-10-2004, 01:13 PM
so it uses the cells to find where you are and you can tell it to find the nearest petrol station or cash machine.

They're called gas stations and ATM's. Silly Londoners. :D

bk2004
12-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Wow, that phone has a huge screen!! And the buttons are so small! I love it! :D

Man, how lucky you are, Skye!

Skye
12-11-2004, 07:49 AM
a short (141kb) video i took with the phone yesterday. Your'll need quicktime to see it. Even 56k can d/l this:

here (www.sfx.org.uk/cat.3gp)

bk2004
12-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Yeah, it only took 30 seconds! :)

But I wouldn't play. :(

I heard today on the radio that Sprint was doing a special where you buy one vision phone for $29.99 and get up to 4 free for like a family plan or something.

Skye
12-11-2004, 12:43 PM
it the video format for the new 3g phone (3gp). Your'll need either:

latest quicktime software (comes free with itunes)

Nokias media player

You might as well get it. I hate quicktime much as anybody but its not as intrusive as i thought it would be (although it asked three times if i wanted to switch on autoplay as if i'm stupid. Yes, becasue i edit the registry by accident all the time......

bk2004
12-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Well, I hate quicktime. I'm more of a Window's Meida Player guy, but who isn't?

Well, I think I might actually be getting a cell phone not too long because when I get my license I will need one so we will probably just get a family plan. They have great deals on phones now. Camera phones are $50 and Video Phones are $100 and you can get up to 3 free!

Skye
12-14-2004, 06:20 AM
well so do i i have a .wmv version but i won't bother to upload it unless you really want to see it.

the bluetooth messaging is so funny, everytime i go into my uni lectures it picks up all the messages people are sending around. it can talk to any phone up to 10metres away i think, so it only works in crowded areas and obviously people with similar phones, but loads of people have these hi-tech phones (even more than my nokia, i don't know where they buy them from............)

This image was included in the phone for some reason:

http://img136.exs.cx/img136/3391/kissingbutt4ih.jpg

Yes that is what they called the image :)

bk2004
12-25-2004, 01:33 AM
That's too funny. haha.

I saw your phone in the mall the other day. I wanted it so bad, and the buttons looked even weirder in person!

Skye
12-25-2004, 06:06 AM
it is a cool phone. the video dosn't work in anything less than daylight though, i'm still getting used to using it. I don't like the 'analogue' stlye clock on it, i can't read it quickly.

sfft_2108
12-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I got a phone for Christmas. It was a free Sprint phone. Never get Sprint. The signals suck. But I guess It is a phone.

Skye
12-27-2004, 03:00 PM
what is a sprint phone?

Rover
12-27-2004, 03:27 PM
I have a Nokia 6620!!!!!!!

coasterlove
12-29-2004, 12:17 PM
what is a sprint phone?

Well, I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but "Sprint" is the wireless service. Just like AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc. I don't know if Sprint actually makes any of their own cell phones. I think Samsung is a big manufacturer of their models.

Freedom211
09-25-2005, 07:10 PM
I was just thinking about how much I hate mine. I got it and like most thought I had the coolest cell and it was top of the line etc. But after a while cell phones just get worse. I have verizon LG vx8000 the one with the camera lens that you can spin. Its good but it doesnt take pictures like it use to. Does anyone else have bad problems with their cells?

Carowinds 73-03
09-25-2005, 08:59 PM
I have had the same Verizon phone for almost 2 years not and it has yet to give me any problems and it was a $49.99 phone. I plan on upgradeing to a new phone though in Dec when my contract gets renewed.

SFGadvKing
09-25-2005, 10:04 PM
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Siemens%20CF62T%20Cell%20Phone:1991672385;_ylt=A lV9hAu_3ybDrm5K8tpV3HAbFt0A;_ylu=X3oDMTBic2hxMGNhB Gx0AzQEc2VjA3Ny
thats mine. it sucks. it doesnt have anything cool on it. my dad got it for me because it was free.

Freedom211
09-25-2005, 10:38 PM
It always seems like the cheaper free ones are better then the new flashy ones.

bk2004
09-26-2005, 01:33 AM
If you sign a new two year contract with a cell phone carrier make sure you will like the phone you got because you will have it for 2 years, unless you pay full price for another one which people rarely do.
---
A lot of people don't know this but you can basically get any cell phone you want for the company you want, even if they commerically don't offer it. If it is unlocked and supports your carrier's network then it will work. :D
---
You can often get phones cheaper from other website than from the carrier's offical website. Something like www.letstalk.com is a good example.
---
Most of the carrier's free cell phones are just plain. Color screen is probably going to be the main feature. Most of the time they have an option of a flip or regular style too. You'll be lucky if you get a free camera phone but it'll be a VGA camera which are like 0.3 Megapixels ...sucky quailty. When choosing a new phone, ask yourself what you want in it. Camera? Music? Games? Web? Here are some noticable ones from those catagorys-

Camera/Video:
1 - Sony Ericsson s710a (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=php1_10179&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10179)
2 - Nokia 6620 (http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6620)
3 - Nokia N90 (http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?loc=inside,main_n90)

Music:
1 - Nokia 3300 (http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,5819,00.html)
2 - Sony Ericsson w600 (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=PHP1_10296&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10296)
3 - Motorola ROKR E1 (http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/phonedetails.jsp?id=cdsku9870063)

Games:
1 - Nokia N-Gage QD (http://www.n-gage.com/en-R1/gamedeck/ngage_qd/)

Web/Email:
1 - Nokia 5900 (http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9500)
2 - Danger's Hiptop2 (www.danger.com)
3 - Blackberry - Pick one! (http://www.blackberry.com/products/handhelds/index.shtml)
4 - Nokia 770 Internet Tablet (http://www.nokiausa.com/770)

rjholla2003
09-26-2005, 03:51 AM
I have two cell phones. One for home and one for school. For home I have a Cingular LG F9100 (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/lg/cingular-lg-f9100-028528.php). I love that phone. My only gripe is that the keyboard is extremely underused, but I'm a text message/IM man. It's just fine for me. If I used the internet on my phone more than I would probably dislike the phone since LG wasn't smart enough to essentially make the phone a smaller Hiptop2. Another reason I am extremely happy with that phone is because the phone I had before that was a Motorola T720 (http://www.mobile-review.com/review/motorola-t720-en.shtml). That phone sucked something horrible. I had a hard time getting a signal with it, and it would drop calls just because it fealt like it. I was forever mad at the phone.

At school, I got a Motorola i860 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=559) through Rave Wireless (http://www.ravewireless.com/montclair/). It's like half price of a normal Nextel plan, and because their is a tower on campus, I actually have reception. My Cingular phone is virtually dead when on campus. Since it's put into your tuition and my parents got maybe halfway as suck as I did with my near inability to call anywhere, they sprung for the extra change (in comparison to the rest of the bill) and I got it. I like the phone, but I wish that I could have Rave on my Cingular phone (with reception), and that my LG phone had a camera. Then everything would be perfect.

Martin
09-26-2005, 06:31 AM
I've got the Danger/T-Mobile Sidekick II. No problems with it as of yet. I have lots of fun with it.

James R
09-26-2005, 01:52 PM
I've got the American Idol
Phone (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000WZUC6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)

But that doesnt mean I bought it because of American Idol. It has a flashlight (yes!), radio capabilities (useful during school!), and a camera. The camera isnt very good quality, but it's good for what it is. I've never had any problems with it. I'm still with 'AT&T' through 'Cingular' (it's confusing). But I have broken it once. I dropped it, the batter shifted, and then a piece of my phone just fell out. :'(

But it got fixed and now it's all good. :)

YoungStud
09-26-2005, 01:58 PM
bk2004, where do you get your wisdom about using any cell phone with any carrier. Verizon runs off of CDMA, sprint runs off tdma, cingular and t-mobile runs off GSM. ALl different networks. I worked for verizon, and i know for a fact you can't do that. You have to have an esn that is on file with the carrier, or if it is gsm the Imei number.

rjholla2003
09-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying. The way I read it, he' saying that instead of buying your phone off of cingular.com or at their store, you can find a cingular phone online that's better than what cingular would sell you at the store.

Hammy2003
09-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Yep. I did that. I'm still within my contract, and while working for CP my phone got stolen on Raptor ride-night. I went on Ebay, found a GSM phone (Sony Ericsson K750i), bought it, went to Cingular and got a new SIM card ($20), and I was in business. When you do that, just make sure the phone is unlocked, though.

bk2004
09-26-2005, 11:26 PM
/\ Basically his situation is what I was talking about with that, Young Stud.

I've got the Danger/T-Mobile Sidekick II. No problems with it as of yet. I have lots of fun with it.

How long have you had it? Oh, and if you get the OTA 2.3 Update let me know! :D

darque
09-27-2005, 02:54 AM
I got one of thoses free phone's from Bell-Solo (1 year contract) that took a brief swim in a toilet. Although it went into cardiac arrest I was able to revive it by sticking it into the oven for just over an hour.

Funny thing is, the carrying case didn't fare as well.

coasterlove
09-27-2005, 04:04 AM
I just received my Sidekick II today and I'm liking what I see so far. Although it's taking a little bit to get used to the typing on it. Certain things are a little different than the first Sidekick model that I had. Other than that, it looks really nice and I like the feature and it is working well.

Oh Brooks, what's the OTA 2.3? I haven't heard about it or what it does? I figure you're the one to ask about it.

Martin
09-27-2005, 07:10 AM
How long have you had it? Oh, and if you get the OTA 2.3 Update let me know! :D
I've had it since late August. I have no idea what the OTA 2.3 Update is or how you get it. An explanation would be nice.

bk2004
09-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Alright here's the lowdown on the OTA 2.3 which is only for the Sidekick/Hiptop II/2 members, so I'm glad you finally got one, Coasterlove. Anywho, here are the features....

Jump Menu & Settings Features

Customize your key guard screen using a photo from your Gallery...

Open the Owner's Manual on the device using the Web Browser...

New SIM Center settings screen where you can view SIM card contacts, lock your SIM card (previously was located in Key Guard & Security settings screen), and set up Fixed Dial Number Phone Lock.

Device Controls Features

There are now three ways to open a context menu on a selected item...

Create a new item from the Email, Text Messaging, Multimedia Messaging, Address Book, Calendar, To Do, and Notes splash screens.

Text Editing and Navigation Features

After making a text edit, you can now undo the change...

New navigation in text boxes...

Insert a "tab" space in text fields...

Web Browser Features

Support for JavaScript on Web pages... YES FINALLY JAVASCRIPT IS HERE!!! (This means color backgrounds/text too!)

Search for text on Web pages...

Set Web page character encoding...

Use live email, URL, and phone number links on Web pages...

AIM Features

Choose your buddy icon from your Photo Gallery...

Display your buddies' icons...

Use live email, URL, and phone number links in conversations...

Choose to display timestamps in conversations...

Use left and right shoulder buttons to go to previous and next conversations...

Send a conversation via email, text, or MMS message...

Buddy idle times are displayed in Buddy List...

Buddy status is displayed in the title bar when you are in a conversation...

Chat history size has increased from 4K to 10K...

Email Features

Select multiple messages from the Browse Messages screen...

Use live email, URL, and phone number links in messages...

When setting up a new account, you can create a new folder directly from the New Accounts screen...

New setting to download message headers only...

Discard a message from the Browse Messages screen with the display closed...

Phone Features

Save Calling Card numbers as Speed Dial entries...

From the Call Log, send a text message or discard a single log entry...

Support for Fixed Dial Numbers. Note that you must have obtained your SIM PIN2 from your wireless operator before you can use this feature...

Text Messaging Features

Save a message as a draft. Note that you cannot save to draft a message with a vCard attached...

Add an emoticon (graphical smiley) to your text message...

Edit prewritten messages...

Use live email, URL, and phone number links in messages...

Discard a message from the Browse Messages screen with the display closed...

Address Book Features

Splash screen displays your total number of contacts...

For each contact you can store up to five IM names, plus launch conversations from the menu...

Keyboard shortcut to email a contact as a vCard...

View contacts on your SIM card...

Save contacts to and from your SIM card/device...

Discard an entry from the Contact Details screen...

View All keyboard shortcut is simplified...

To Do Features

New alphabetical sort options...

Discard a message from the Browse Tasks screen with the display closed...

Notes Features

Send a note via email message...

Fold/unfold all notes using keyboard shortcuts...

Discard a folded note from the Browse Notes screen with the display closed...

Camera Features

Create a slideshow from your photos...

New Select All/Deselect All keyboard shortcuts...

Rotate a photo...

New "List" and zoom views...

Navigate the Gallery in four directions by using the D-pad...

Download Fun Catalog Features

"Purchases" screen is renamed to "Downloads"...

Listen to a downloaded ringtone from the Item Details screen...

Uninstall applications so you can make more room for new applications. You can reinstall the applications later at no charge...

Now, the OTA update is FREE, and is given out randomly. If they gave it out to every customer that owns this phone, the network would get very backed up. So they give it out randomly in order to prevent this. You could get it today or in two months. It just all depends. Just because your next door neighbor got it does not mean you will the next day.

I believe they had to stop it when they first gave out the 1,000 updates because they had a little bug in the system so I don't know how long it'll be when or if they have already started back up with the updates but it shouldn't be too long.

Here's another helpful link about it too...
http://help.sidekick.dngr.com/en-us/#updatenotes

Martin
02-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but yes bk I finally did get the OTA 2.3 update a couple weeks ago. I like the new features and updated features.

zongaboy626
02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Im stuck with a sony erricsan Z500a
http://www.nextforum.net/pics/z500a.jpg
The camera has mood swings where it can take a good pic then take a bad one
the sound qulity is sweet its like a mini stereo
but im getting a slivr for my birthday!

Martin
02-12-2006, 05:59 PM
^ Yeah, the slvr looks pretty sweet. I want to get the Razr V3i but at the moment no U.S. carriers have it. T-Mobile UK has it so I am hoping they will bring it to T-Mobile in the U.S.

Kyle L
02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I have the new LG VX5200...and I really like. Does a lot of simple things that I never got to experience with my other phone. I actually really like how simple and easy it is to use.

sfft_2108
02-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Eh, I think these need to be merged. http://thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=32525&highlight=Cellphone

Anyways, I have a crappy Sprint phone.

Martin
02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't think it matters. The link you posted is from 2004. Not both of them are now active, so therefore let's just let it be.

slipknot8527
02-12-2006, 07:33 PM
I have the RAZR because it looks sweet.

Carowinds 73-03
02-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I just got the Razer for Christmas and i love it. I have yet to have any problems with it and on top of that it's sooooooooo cute.

I'm just mad they came out with a Pink and Blue one shortly after. If i would have know i would have waited a few months.

slipknot8527
02-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I like the black....go figure.

I'm not too "cell phone" savvy, but I do like that I can use AIM on it and check my email. Plus, it's just "soooooooo cute"

sfft_2108
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
I know, the Razer is sooooooooooo cute!

Plus the pink one rox my sox.

Carowinds 73-03
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
LOL. I guess you have Cingular. I got the silver from Verizon.

I would have got the pink if i would have know it's was coming.

slipknot8527
02-12-2006, 09:51 PM
THATS SO GHEY!!!!!1111111111

Have you guys checked out www.myvego.com yet?

You can customize skins for your RAZR, and even your DS or PSP.

Carowinds 73-03
02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
^ What can i say. ;)

Also the site does not work. I'm getting a error message saying can't find website.

Cuddy
02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey guys...when a cellphone can drive my car for me and here's a wild new innovation, make and receive calls, then I'll buy one. Right now, they are utterly useless.

Carowinds 73-03
02-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Sounds like you have had nothing but bad luck with cell phones.

The three phones i have ever had over the last 6 years i had one dropped call and thats it. Other than that one dropped call in 6 years i have never had another problem serious or small.

It could also be the area you live in.

coasterlove
02-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Speaking of the OTA2.3 update, I got that about three months ago (lucky me) and thought it was great. It makes me feel like I'm actually on the internet instead of a cheap imposter. Now if only it could play videos for those lonely nights....

I like the new Slvr phone from Motorola. I thought the Razr looked good but I'm not big on flip phones anymore after having one now for over a year. Plus at the time I was getting a new phone, the Razr was new and about $400-500. I was going to pay that much for a phone. I'd rather buy a new gaming system for that price.

Carowinds 73-03
02-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Nevermind, I found another site with Razer covers.
Looks like i'll get my pink razor afterall. I also like the color changing covers. For $8.99 i just might buy a few.

http://www.3gupload.com/Accessories/index.php?a_op=categories&cPath=50&mfg=17&ph_id=340&&page=1

bk2004
02-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I think the RAZR's are cool too...but it still has the same Motorolla crap.

I'm interested in seeing the SLVR in person.

Carowinds 73-03
02-12-2006, 11:18 PM
I have the silver. I'll show it to you next time your at the park or you can just walk into any Verizon store and see it.

Cuddy
02-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Sounds like you have had nothing but bad luck with cell phones.

The three phones i have ever had over the last 6 years i had one dropped call and thats it. Other than that one dropped call in 6 years i have never had another problem serious or small.

It could also be the area you live in.

None of the above. I did have one that all it did was make and receive calls. I used it twice in the 3 years I had it. I just can't figure out why you need so many extras on a device that was designed to call someone.

What's next? A Digital Camera that allows you to make phone calls, play games and download mp3s?

coasterlove
02-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Some people, like myself find it fun to be able to snap a quick pic and then instantly email or text it to somebody. Picture caller ID for example is kind of cool, made possible by having a camera in it. Other features like games or music can make for a quick diversion when bored.

Sometimes it's not practical to carry around and MP3 players as well as handheld gaming device as well as a cell phone and a digital camera on top of it. Having it all in one can be very convienent for people. And while many people like having those features, there are still plenty of phones that are relatively bare bones for those who don't feel the need for all the features.

But...I know you've felt as you do for some time so I don't expect you to change your opinion. ;)

Carowinds 73-03
02-13-2006, 06:34 PM
I personally though the whole camera on a phone was a stupid idea and if i were to ever own one i would never use it but now that i do i have used it but not alot, maybe 2 times in the 3 months i have had the phone.

I never really bother will all the other bells and whistles on the razer except for maybe ringtones.

apsterling
02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
lol coaster cam, whip out your phone and snap' em to your cousin on the ground right? lol

rlrcstrfreak
02-13-2006, 07:10 PM
I have a nokia 3300 and a samsung.. ?

Im getting the new sony ericson..

Martin
02-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Now if only it could play videos for those lonely nights....
Not only that, but another nice addition would be chatrooms to the AIM service.

epijlh
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
What's next? A Digital Camera that allows you to make phone calls, play games and download mp3s? i think it's called amped mobile ort something like that. Why you would need all those things, I can't say.

pcman
02-13-2006, 10:31 PM
I have the HTC Cinguler 2125 and 8125
the 8125 has:
Windows mobile 5
WIFI, EDGE, GPRS,Bluetooth
slide out keyboard
Memory card slot
the most advanced phone out at this moment
1.3mp camera
outlook email and free push email like Blackberry in a few weeks
this phone is awesome like carry a laptop with internet in your hand.
the 2125 is also a awesome phone

www.cingular.com/8125_consumer

Bencerisback
02-13-2006, 10:39 PM
i have the new sprint/samsung razor, its pretty tight.

zongaboy626
02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
http://get.ampd.com/phones.php
This is the phone i am getting

Hammy2003
02-14-2006, 12:07 AM
I absolutely LOVE my...

SonyEricsson K750i (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=696&gi=4)

Up to 4GB of storage (MP3 Player).
2 MegaPixel camera. Awesome photos.

Slingshot57
02-14-2006, 09:00 PM
^Wow 500 dollars for a cell phone. I would rather buy a 512 mb mp3 player for around $100, a camera for $300, and a $100 phone, but if its easier to have it all in one, I guess its worth it.

I want a pay as you go Razr, the only problem is they are $250 for just the phone. I don't even want to spend $30 a month, so I guess I should just buy a cheap pay as you go phone.

Cuddy
02-14-2006, 09:10 PM
The cheapest pre-pay phones are around $100. That's about what I would spend. I rarely use my landline now. I call my parents and use it to dial-up on the internet.

James R
02-14-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm perfectly fine with my Nokia 3200. I've had it for well over 3 years now, and it's still going strong. I've dropped it numerous times, and it has broken once. A random computer chip fell out when I tried to fix it.

It has FM/AM Radio Capabilities, a flashlight, customizeable skins and a cool keypad.

It hasn't died ...yet. *knocks on wood*

http://www.nokiausa.com/images/phn/3200-center-top-zoom.jpg

pcman
02-14-2006, 11:24 PM
THe Cingular 8125 does everything my home PC can do
for less then $230
I can even control my PC with www.logmein.com awesome and free
browse REAL webpages like this one and others

RllrCoasterFan
02-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I just got a MotoRAZR in Black and I love it. I didn't much like my old phone (Motorola V180). I don't like how everyone is starting to have them though. I liked the phone since I seen it.

The new MotoSLZR looks tight! It looks so fresh, clean, so sexy. lol, but for real the phone does look tight, just like the RAZR but not a flip phone.

Slingshot57
02-15-2006, 06:24 PM
The cheapest pre-pay phones are around $100. That's about what I would spend. I rarely use my landline now. I call my parents and use it to dial-up on the internet.

There is a prepaid phone at www.tracfone.com for only $20, so they aren't that expensive. Although they don't have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive phones, it still seems like a good deal, if I'm only going to use it once a week or so.

April_fool_79
02-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I've got a Nokia 3220 on T-Mobile that I bought for $35 last May when I extended my contract. 1500 minutes a month for $39.99. I love it. It has picture and video capabilities, and real music ringtones. I go to www.freeringers.net and paid $8, now I can make my own ringtones from any CD or MP3 that I have and send them to my phone for free. I can also print out my own back covers for it. Mom still has an old Nokia 5100. She won't get a new one because she has enough trouble keeping track of that one and would really be in trouble with a smaller one. Plus she has a Virginia Tech cover for it that she doesn't want to get rid of.

Cuddy
02-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Does anyone see the irony in this:

I go to www.freeringers.net (http://www.freeringers.net/) and paid $8,

Free, eh? and let me guess, like other cell phone users, you crank that ringer volume up so everyone gets to hear it. How come I can't buy free rings for my landline?

April_fool_79
02-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Because once you have access to their FTP thing, you don't have to pay anything else.

Let's see ... I can download ringtones for $1.99-$3.00 a piece, or unlimited ones for $8.00? And have 4 phones attached to it.

And no, I don't "crank that ringer volume up". If I did, I'd be deaf. This sucker rings *VERY* loudly. I had the volume up all the way one day because I was in a store and was waiting for a call, and that thing was buried at the bottom of my bag and could be heard like 20 feet away. Needless to say, unless I'm at a concert or club or race, I don't keep it more than first or second volume level. I don't have ringtones to annoy others, just so I can tell when it's *MY* phone ringing and not someone else's. When I can make my ringtone literally ANYTHING I want, I don't have to worry about that.

James R
02-16-2006, 12:09 AM
/\ I can too! I just record the song I want on my phone...:p
Haha! It's free and it's simple. The quality gives a little, but you can hear the song and that's all I care about.

April_fool_79
02-16-2006, 09:05 AM
^ Yeah, there's some way I can record ringtones with my phone, too, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I'm still trying to figure out the AIM / Yahoo / ICQ (I think) messaging stuff. But I <3 my phone. Except when it goes off at night and I've forgotten to turn the lights on the side off. Those things are BRIGHT!!

Hammy2003
02-16-2006, 09:56 PM
(Bluetooth + Object Push + Favorite MP3) = Free ringtones

Steven
03-25-2006, 10:17 PM
I just got a RAZR (Black) today when I got my number changed and my AT&T plan migrated to a Cingular plan. I love it, and so far, it's even beat out my old LG L1150 that I mentioned earlier in this thread (see here (http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showpost.php?p=527904&postcount=37)). That one, I had problems with it 3 months into my ownership, where it crapped out, and lately the battery was requiring more frequent charging and signal was going a little goofy on Music Row in Nashville (where my office is).

Carowinds 73-03
03-25-2006, 10:25 PM
The RAZER is awesome. I have had mine since Christmas and have not had one problem.

They do ask that you take the battery out and put it back in once a month though but that might be for any phone as well.

Cuddy
03-25-2006, 10:29 PM
My dad got an L.G. phone...no camera, no video, no nothing, so I guess there's still hope I can find an affordable phone for less than $50.

bk2004
03-25-2006, 11:00 PM
I absolutely hate buying ringtones from carries. They are highly overprices for the whole two seconds of the song you get, which just replay's itself.

I make my own from Nero Wave Editor...compress the file to 8bit Mono (7kb/sec) to get a longer recording, and then email it to my phone and add it as a ringer. It is as simple as that!

James
03-25-2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.celularis.com/samsung_sgh_d307.jpg
Thats the phone I have.... I <3 it.
I wanted a sidekick but I was to poor.. So I got that.

bk2004
03-25-2006, 11:11 PM
http://www.celularis.com/samsung_sgh_d307.jpg
Thats the phone I have.... I <3 it.
I wanted a sidekick but I was to poor.. So I got that.

How many times do I have to say Sidekicks are FREE with new contracts?! You have to hunt around!! ;) Oh, and your poor? Well if I didn't notice that UK Trip costs around $2,000!!

slipknot8527
03-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I have a Black RAZR cause all the cool kids have em.

James R
03-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Just recently I replaced my Nokia 3200 (Seen here (http://www.picstop.co.uk/images/prod_imgs/nokia_3200.jpg)), with a Sony Ericsson Z520. (Seen here (http://www.idiottoys.com/pics/sony_z520.jpg)). I kind of miss my old phone. I'm still not use to the flipping feature. The camera shortcut button on the side of the phone is very sensetive, and it often takes pictures of my pocket. I'll be sitting at my desk and this shutter sound will come from my pocket... The camera is pretty nice quality though, a big jump from the my old Nokia's. It also has a nice loudspeaker on the back, which makes this pretty audible. It also has a neat feature where the phone performs a lightshow when people call... It looks awesome at night or in the dark!

Thunderhawk
03-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I just bought a RAZER. Does anyone else hear a high pitched whine noise when their ear is close to the speaker, or do I need to return this?

PKIDelirium
03-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I've never heard of a RAZER phone.

Martin
03-28-2006, 04:30 PM
I have the Sidekick II, which I love for its computer-like abilities. In fact I am posting from my sidekick right now.

siestakey
03-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I would love to have a RAZR. It seems like an awesome phone. How are the menu and features of it? Sorry, I don't know about the high pitched sound. I have Verizon, that HUGE phone, its a flip, takes 15 second vids, I have one of Kingda Ka I watch every day to remind myself what its like standing in line, lol. I don't like how Verizon is making all of their phones have the same features and menus, didn't anyone elsenotice that? Now, they even make the same rington e with different pitches, me, my mom, and my sister, all have different phones, withthe same ring in a differnt tone...

Martin
03-29-2006, 06:33 PM
I would rather have a Razr V3i (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,130,00.html) than the regular Razr. Too bad it isn't out for any U.S. carriers yet.

Hammy2003
04-19-2006, 12:54 AM
My SonyEricsson K750i is a sweet phone, but it lacks the most widely-used radio band -- 850. It's got 900, 1800, and 1900, though.

Therefore, coverage sucks.

So... I bought it's American cousin, the SonyEricsson W810i (http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w810-en.shtml). It's still got the 2MP camera, and comes with a 256MB Memory Stick Pro DUO for the Walkman-powered MP3 and media player. Bluetooth as well.... who does without Bluetooth these days anyways?

And now, I'll be able to make decent, non-dropped phone calls. Woo-hoo! Chances are, Cingular will pick up the phone and brand it in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year, but I can't stand another week of this signal problem. Heck, I even put my SIM card in an old Nokia "Brick" phone, until I get my new one in the mail. It gets signal frickin' everywhere.

.....Just in case somebody cares. LOL.

sfft_2108
04-19-2006, 10:24 AM
I have the Sidekick II, which I love for its computer-like abilities. In fact I am posting from my sidekick right now.
Well hell. You and Coasterlove need to go on a date. lol. Doesn't Brooks have one also.

Katie
04-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Meh, I ended up having to replace my Kyocera Milan, thanks to the screen breaking and getting a Kyocera Dorado. I hate Kyocera's the only Motorola that Cricket offered wouldn't accept my ringtones. This just sucks!

SFKK GUY
04-19-2006, 06:43 PM
http://napps.networkworld.com/weblogs/cool/archives/Sprint-A600-2.jpg

Just ordered this...gettin it in a few days...my friend (the only person I know with one and I barely know her) loves it to death...plus it takes awesome pics

bk2004
04-20-2006, 08:39 PM
I just bought a RAZER.

I've never heard of a RAZER phone.
LOL!

Well hell. You and Coasterlove need to go on a date. lol. Doesn't Brooks have one also.

Sho' nuf!! It is fun being anywhere and being able doing anything. The phone even has it's own website!! www.hiptop.com :D Though I'm on a PC now...I'll post back in this thread with me on it. ;)

It also has a neat feature where the phone performs a lightshow when people call... It looks awesome at night or in the dark!

I know two people who have this model and the lightshow is cool! Also, I like the menu animation when it opens.

rlrcstrfreak
04-21-2006, 02:38 AM
I hate the razer's I used to like them, but Im one of those people that doesnt like what everyone else has.

bk2004
04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Ok, I'm on my Hiptop2 (Sidekick II). I'm actually at work now hahaha.

Emann
04-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I would love to have a RAZR. It seems like an awesome phone. How are the menu and features of it? Sorry, I don't know about the high pitched sound. I have Verizon, that HUGE phone, its a flip, takes 15 second vids, I have one of Kingda Ka I watch every day to remind myself what its like standing in line, lol. I don't like how Verizon is making all of their phones have the same features and menus, didn't anyone elsenotice that? Now, they even make the same rington e with different pitches, me, my mom, and my sister, all have different phones, withthe same ring in a differnt tone...

I got the RAZR for my birthday and it is a great phone. It has V-cast, get it now and is also compatible with bluetooth equipment. There is the special "RAZR tone" or the song they play in the backround of the RAZR commercial. You can download games and but you can only take 15 second videos :-(. One feature that I really like about it is how you can record your own ringtones plus there is alot of space for pictures and videos.

Dan G
04-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah so, I kinda cracked my screen on my cell phone today and right now it looks like a lava lamp. So, I guess I'm going to have to be looking into getting a new phone. The only problem is, I think Cingular has some of the worst phones a cell phone carrier could offer and am not too fond of any of the phones they have right now. So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and it looks like I'm going to have to dish out some money on a phone that I will probably have to replace soon enough. My contract with Cingular ends in October, and by the way it stands, I don't think my family will be returning to them once our contract is up.

giggity424
04-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Did you just say Cingular has the worst phones???? WHAT I would do to punch you in the face.........I have sprint and SPRINT has the worst phones, Cingular is by far the best phone company when it comes to phones (pardon the pun) they have the RZR the Pebble (my fav) the SLVR and all those motoroalla phones, it's awesome.

PS. wouldn't really punch you in the face!

bk2004
04-29-2006, 12:09 AM
I know a couple of people who had that happen to them, Dan...where the screan cracked and it was like redish/orange. If it's still under a year old Cingular should replace it at no charge unless like you personally damaged the screen....but if not you'll just have to get a new phone.

I'd say look on eBay for a cheap one...sometimes there are pretty good deals on stuff like that. Especially if you plan on leaving Cingular soon and more than likely will be getting a new phone if you get a new carrier...so I wouldn't spend a lot of money now. Just my 2 cents.

Ryan F
04-29-2006, 12:31 AM
I got the LG 6190 about a month ago and I love it.
The fast tap took me awhile to get used to, but once I did I was been able to punch out long messages in half the time it took me before.

Now I'm just looking for a cheap Data Cable so I can make and upload my own ringtones, and upload my pictures.

Martin
04-29-2006, 06:33 AM
they have the RZR the Pebble (my fav) the SLVR and all those motoroalla phones, it's awesome.
Cingular does not carry the PEBL. The only U.S. carrier that has it right now is T-Mobile.

pcman
04-29-2006, 11:02 AM
I have a 8125 awesome
WIFI
GSM
1.3MP
Keyboard
I also have a Treo 650 with new case and 512mb ram for sale

coastercory06
04-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I just got a RAZR a few weeks ago, and I didn't like it at first, but now it's a pretty good phone. There is some lag after hitting a button, and the earpiece volume isn't very loud, but overall it's a great phone. It has so many options to play with.

You can download games and but you can only take 15 second videos :-(.
You can get it up to 30 second videos, you have to go into video options when the camera is open to change it.

bk2004
04-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I got the LG 6190 about a month ago and I love it.
The fast tap took me awhile to get used to, but once I did I was been able to punch out long messages in half the time it took me before.

Hey cool! Never have seen that before...

Martin
05-14-2006, 10:49 AM
My sidekick screen broke on Thursday. I took it out of my pocket and it was broken. T-Mobile didn't offer me any compensation so I decided to purchase an unlocked Razr V3i (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=130) (newer version of current razr) off of a site called Wireless Imports. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

bk2004
05-14-2006, 02:04 PM
/\ I've heard of such happenings so much. The screen is very fragile. I always leave mine in its case to prevent this. Though, my keyboard has bubbled up. :-/

Skye
05-14-2006, 03:29 PM
This will be my next phone (nokia N91) , i've been waiting a year for this thing.

http://www.sg.hu/kep/2005_04/0427nokia11.jpg

The uk networks are been really, really slow in getting them on sale with contracts (although it's been possible to buy a sim free version for a while from various places). Hopefully next week they will have them in stock (but they have been saying that for 3 weeks).

alternativly i might get an N80.

My 7610 (see the first page of this thread) was ok but the keypad has sort of worn, meaning you have to press the buttons realyl hard, making texting difficult.). It'll get a good home though, it's still a usuable symbian phone.

bk2004
05-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Looks awesome! I can't believe all these cool new phones that Nokia is rolling out within such a short time span!

Riddler156
05-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I got the RAZR for my birthday and it is a great phone. It has V-cast, get it now and is also compatible with bluetooth equipment. There is the special "RAZR tone" or the song they play in the backround of the RAZR commercial. You can download games and but you can only take 15 second videos :-(. One feature that I really like about it is how you can record your own ringtones plus there is alot of space for pictures and videos.
I just got a RAZR recently. How do you record your own ringtones? I have Cingular as a carrier, if that makes any difference.

Martin
05-19-2006, 04:17 PM
My Razr V3i came in on Tuesday and everything went nice and smoothly. The people at Wireless Imports were a pleasure to deal with.

Skye
05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
new phone arrived!

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/8/image1709fv.th.jpg (http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image1709fv.jpg)

bk2004
05-22-2006, 12:09 PM
/\ Skye, that looks SWEET!

I just got a RAZR recently. How do you record your own ringtones? I have Cingular as a carrier, if that makes any difference.

I'll see if I can answer this one :D...to RECORD your own ringtones the "ghetto" way would be to have a song play it and record in onto the phone with the voice recorder or whatever they call it on there and then set it as the ringtone. People do it and it works, but very ghetto and not the best of sound quality.

Skye
05-22-2006, 04:21 PM
that looks SWEET!

it is!

Also the uk versions come with live8 videos pre loaded free. still 3.7 GB of free space though!

Not too happy with my mobile provider though, i had some probs setting it up (for example, they didn't pre load the text message centre number, a small error, but makes it impossible to send texts) which i eventually figured out for myself. CS weren't too helpful either.

Still got a reasonable deal ( handset was $180 + $60 for 12 months approx - it's actually in &#163; )

I just got a RAZR recently. How do you record your own ringtones?

Get the thing linked up to a pc for a start. This is where nokia is miles ahead of anyone else. The n91 has the latest symbian OS (two generations from my 7610) and it's great.

Weighs a lot though, maybe 30% more than the 7610, and that wasn't light. Still if you want features go for nokia, if you want style go for the V3 or something.

The n91 for it's weight and looks is still a pretty cool phone, and it feels expensive. I love the stainless steel case, (it is actually stainless steel, not just paint) although it'll scratch, it makes the handset stand out from every other hard plastic covered phone out there.

pcman
05-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I have a treo 650 with new case for sale
all cd,manual adapters etc.
$249
only used for 2 weeks
cingular

Dan G
05-22-2006, 07:12 PM
My Razr V3i came in on Tuesday and everything went nice and smoothly. The people at Wireless Imports were a pleasure to deal with.

Hey tell me how good that phone is because I was actually thinking about getting one once the Cingular carriers start selling them. I'm actually trying to get a phone by next week and I was thinking about getting the SLVR, seeing how Cingular has a very slim choice of phones but I would love to hold off and get the phone, especially considering the fact that RadioShack is giving me $200 to upgrade my phone. Hopefully the Cingular carriers around here start selling them soon, because I would love to get my hands on one because it just looks so cool. If not, I'm just going to get the SLVR.

Martin
05-22-2006, 07:22 PM
I actually really enjoy the phone, here is a list of upgrades from the previous Razr:

- Updated and streamlined Motorola RAZR V3 design
- iTunes Software
- Hot swappable TransFlash memory card
- 1.23 megapixel digital camera with 8x digital zoom, video capture and full screen viewfinder
- Speaker independent name & digit dialing
- Integrated Class 1 Bluetooth technology with imaging, printing, peer to peer gaming profiles
- Motorola’s SCREEN3 technology solution featuring zero-click access to news, sports, entertainment and other program content
- Airplane mode
- New Gun Metal Pewter Color
- Keypad EL Color changed to Dark Blue
- M Logo under external display glows
- Upgraded External Color Display
- Upgraded Internal Memory to 12MB

Dan G
05-23-2006, 09:57 PM
I wonder when Cingular is getting that phone...I would definitely get that over the SLVR if it was coming out soon.

Martin
05-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Actually, I have been hearing rumors about Cingular getting it. Look for Cingular to carry it in maybe about a week on May 30th.

bk2004
05-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Does the phone look the same as the other models...just with the upgrades?

Dan, you could buy an unlocked phone and put a Cingular SIM card into if you can't find a phone Cingular sells branded.

Martin
05-24-2006, 06:35 AM
The has an upgraded look. This (http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/13/13159_MotImage.jpg) is the V3i, and this (http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/7/7382_MotImage.jpg) is the V3. The inside is a little different too as the V3i is a mixture of silver on the outside and black around the keyboard similar to that of the Black V3.

Dan G
05-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Actually, I have been hearing rumors about Cingular getting it. Look for Cingular to carry it in maybe about a week on May 30th.

Yeah, I was hearing people saying the phone will be available sometime next week or the first week of June, which would be good so I have a new phone to take on my trip to California and won't have to deal with a busted screen for another month. The only thing I'm worried is that people are also saying that Cingular is selling the thing for $299.99 WITH 2-year agreement which is kinda outrageous seeing how the unlocked one is 200-250. If that's the case, I'm worried what the stand alone phone will cost, regardless of the $200 dollar discount RadioShack is giving me towards my phone. There's no way I'll pay 300 for a phone when the price will just lower within a month or so.

Does the phone look the same as the other models...just with the upgrades?

Dan, you could buy an unlocked phone and put a Cingular SIM card into if you can't find a phone Cingular sells branded.

Well, then I have to buy the phone outright which is stupid since RadioShack is giving me this money towards my upgrade. It's kinda hard to pass on $200 dollars toward a new phone, you know?

bk2004
05-24-2006, 08:42 PM
/\ Yeah...now I see what your talking about with the discounts. Its hard, but the best thing to do is wait.

Couldn't you just re-new your contract somewhere else and get a good deal instead of Radio Shacks. I mean, $200 sounds great towards a new phone, but thats off the bast price.....:-/

Dan G
05-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, I could always get a phone through Cingular, but to get as good as a discount I would have to get a 2-year contract with the phone which I really don't want to do because I might not want the same phone for the next two years, especially if something really nice comes out from now until then.

My sister said she ordered a Pink Razr which she is probably going to give me her silver one that she has now, but I don't want it so I'm most likely going to give it to my dad and buy a new phone...I just ain't sure what one I want to get right now.

pcman
05-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Go with the 2125
With cingular you can take out your SIM card and put it in another Cingular or any unlocked GSM phone.
I have 3 phones and a 4th that my wife uses.
Just this past week my wifes phone charger got damaged and I let here use one of my older phones all I did was tak out here SIM card and put it in the old phone.
I also in 2 years went from using 4 differnat phones.
went from a
Sony T637 (4 sale)
Treo 650 (4 sale)
Cingular 2125 (sold) awesome phone can be had for $99 I seen
Cingular 8125 my currant phone
but I can take my sim out and put it in the treo and have all my account info with it.
So no you are not stuck with the phone for 2 years.
Right now Cingular doesn't know what phone I'm using.

(this can't be done with Verizon and Sprint) you are stuck with the phone you get from them that why I don't use them.
any questions fill free to email me

bk2004
05-27-2006, 02:15 AM
/\ And that is the smart rought. Think in two years how your phone will be holding up...not only you taking care of it, but the technology side. In just a year it could be old news. SIM cards are the shizznit!

Hammy2003
05-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Have any of ya'll bought Sony Ericsson phones from eBay or whatever, and had trouble with dropped calls (on Cingular)?

Here's why I ask. I got the SonyEricsson W810i (http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w810-en.shtml), which is a frickin' sweet phone. Or rather, it's a sweet 2MP camera, and up to 4GB MP3 player (with a Memory Stick Pro DUO), and all that stuff; but so far I can't make any decent phone calls. In areas where I should have good/full service, I have nothing, and find myself searching for new signal all the time! Seems as though the hardware in the phone can't jump from tower-to-tower. Weird, and frustrating.

I spent over $400 for the phone, and am happy with all the features but the PHONE part of it. LOL. Makes me sick. I've heard SE's phones have had this problem before, and wanted to see if any of ya'll have experienced that.

Oh yeah. Cingular will be selling this phone 3rd Q of 2006. Which makes me think, maybe SE and Cingular will update the firmware and fix the problem. I can only hope.

bk2004
05-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Wow, I thought this one was supposed to update the last one that had all the problems.

Since the phone was so expensive, do you have insurance. I guess even if you don't it's probably still under some type of warrenty after so long, like a year on most phones. It might just be your phone and not all of them. Call Cingular and see.

Hammy2003
05-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Well, this one basically updated the K750, which lacked the 850 MHz band (and EDGE). I thought that WAS the fix, as you said. Clearly they're still having problems with it. I'm starting to think SonyEricsson phones are better-suited for European/Asian networks. So far, the phones have been awesome, but the service has sucked here in the States.

bk2004
05-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Yeah, you'd think they would fix or at least acknowledge the problem since these phones have been pretty popular in the US.

Dan G
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/samsung_d807_slim_phone.html

That's the phone I'm thinking about getting now...I think I liked it more than the SLVR.

I won't be able to get the Razr V3i unless i wait till I get back from California, which is gonna be hard having a broken screen on my phone for another month. I think I really need to get a phone now so waiting for the Razr is pointless.

Dude
06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Is the V2i just going to Cingular. Because I was wondering since Cngular and T-Mobile get like almost the exact same phones would it come to T-Mobile. Because I would switch out my regualar RAZR with that one in a heart beat.

Dan G
06-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Only Cingular and Verizon are getting the new version of the Razr as it stands right now. Verizon however is getting the V3m which is pretty much the same model, it just isn't brushed steel like the V3i is. I don't think T-Mobile has any deal to get the new Razr, of course I could always be wrong.

Dude
06-05-2006, 08:12 PM
No you probably know more than I do. I wanna switch carrieers but I need my unlimited Text messaging. lol.

Martin
06-05-2006, 09:52 PM
It has been rumored to most likely go to Cingular first. You could always buy an unlocked version of the V3i and stick in your T-Mobile SIM card. That's what I did and everything works great.

Dude
06-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Yesssssss. I forgot all about that. I cant wait until they come out. I like that one a lot better.

Dan G
06-06-2006, 11:41 PM
So I bought a black Razr V3 today because the Samsung slider was sold out, but the guy says I have 30 days to take it back and exchange it for another phone. I think tomorrow I'm going to go check out the Samsung slider to see if I like it enough to exchange for my Razr, but the guy at Cingular told me the Samsung is a really nice phone so maybe I'll exchange it tomorrow.

Hammy2003
06-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Dan, that Samsung slider phone is frickin' sweet. I'll probably never buy anything other than a SonyEricsson (despite the problems I'm having with their newer models), but if I did, that Samsung is the one I'd get. A friend of mine just bought one, has had it a week or two, and LOVES it. It really is an awesome phone. And it makes decent phonecalls!!! Wow! Something I can't say for my effed-up SE W810i. Oh well.

So.... mine made it to the SE service center in Indiana, according to package tracking. I should get either the same phone fixed or either a new one with newer firmware. Cingular has confirmed the release of the W810i for this summer. But they (either Cingular or SE or both) will have to see that the dropped call problem is fixed. {sigh}..... I miss my Walkman phone. :sadface:

Dan G
06-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah, after using the Razr for two days now, I've decided that I just don't like it enough to keep it. I mean, the phone is so skinny it's really hard for me to hold onto when I'm calling, and also, depending on where the phone sits on my ear, I sometimes can hear the speaker and sometimes I can't so those are definitely two things that turned me off about the Razr. Don't get me wrong, it's a really sleak phone, but I just feel like I'm going to drop it at times and that worries me because it is a really expensive phone and looks like it'll break easily.

So I'm going to go to the Cingular store tomorrow to check out that Samsung slider, and from the reviews I've read it looks like a really nice phone, and the guy at Cingular even said so as well. Even if I have to spend another 20 bucks for it, I think it's worth it if I like it. Plus this time I don't think I'll get the bluetooth package with it, because I don't really need a car charger or case, but the bluetooth thing would come in handy, but I could get one of those anywhere. So hopefully I like this phone as much in person as I do by the pictures because I'll definitely get it tomorrow if I do.

sfft_2108
06-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Pics of this Slider?

Dan G
06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
http://xataka.com/archivos/images/samsung_d807_slim_phone_1-thumb.jpg
http://mobilementalism.com/imageSnag/337-43bc67cdcaa4b.jpg
http://mobilementalism.com/imageSnag/337-43bc67d015fa1.jpg

bk2004
06-08-2006, 12:51 AM
/\ That phone does look good....but not as good as

THIS!! (http://www.hiptop3.com/)

Hammy2003
06-08-2006, 04:09 PM
<----- Not a Sidekick fan. Never have been. I'm sure it's a neat phone, I just don't care for it.

bk2004
06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, its a cool phone and I love mine. :D Though I'm sure yours is just as good. Looks nice.

Hammy2003
06-08-2006, 07:25 PM
LOL, nope. At the moment, mine's "in the shop." Mine's no better than a mid-90's Nokia brick-phone, which I'm using now as a backup while mine's shipped off to Indiana somewhere.

If I were to get anything larger than a normal cellphone, it'd be a PDA on Verizon's network cruising the web at broadband speeds. Friend of mine has Slingbox, and watches live TV from his satellite at home. He can change channels, use all DVR features, and a lot of other stuff anywhere he has an EV-DO signal. It's the bomb.

But a basic cellular phone with a 2MP camera and MP3's is all I need at the moment. Heck, I'm a college student without a laptop and I'm surviving just fine, so that'll tell ya how behind the times I am. LOL.

bk2004
06-09-2006, 12:43 AM
LOL! I remember those early models which EVERYONE and their brother had...too funny.

DejaVu4Life
06-09-2006, 02:00 AM
The lovely, generic, indestructible Samsung A670. It's been dropped from as high as 10 feet and it didn't break anything.

Does the Verizon Razor have the composer like T-Mobile and Cingular?

RidePhoto101
06-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Anyone have a Sprint PPC-6700? I have been a Sprint customer for the past 3 1/2 years and they are honestly the best carrier in this area. I've also had Alltel, AT&T Wireless (now Cingular), and Verizon in the past, and the only other one that has worked was Alltel. I also like the nationwide coverage.

Anyway, the phone I REALLY want is the Palm Treo 700w, but Sprint got the 700p instead, so if I want Windows Mobile, I have to get the PPC-6700 or go with an alternate OS such as Palm or Blackberry. I specifically want an EV-DO compatable Sprint smart phone that I can also use as a wireless broadband modem for my laptop. The big advantage that I found out about with the PPC-6700 is that they don't have the new EV-DO security features that the newer phones (Palm 700p) have. Basically the PPC-6700 can't tell the difference between using the smart phone itself for accessing the internet, or using the USB cable to connect to a laptop and use the phone as modem feature. The asst. manager at the local Sprint store told me that as long as I have a Power Vision plan ($15/mo.) with the PPC-6700, I don't need to get the unlimited wireless phone-as-modem plan that is an additonal $39.99/mo. Basically by buying this phone instead of the Palm 700p, I'd save $40/mo. and I'd get the windows mobile OS instead of Palm.

Anyone else use the PPC-6700 or the Palm 700p or 700w? I'd appreciate any input before I buy my new phone next week.

Dan G
06-09-2006, 04:04 AM
So I went and picked up my Samsung D807 today and I must say that I am madly in love with this phone and have absolutely no regrets for trading in the Razr...Sure the Samsung might be a little thicker, but when you look at the features my phone now has compared to the Razr, it just blows it away. The 1.3 megapixel camera, memory card slot, voice command, mp3 player and the overall look of the phone easily beats the one trick pony Razr. After using the Razr for 2 days, I came to the conclusion that the phone truly is only for looks, and the components that the phone has are pretty much lacking. After getting the D807 it was like I was doing a complete 180 degree turn from where I started. I've been playing with the phone all day and still cant seem to figure out everything out and get to experiment with all the features. But overall, it is a excellent phone. If anyone that has Cingular is looking to upgrade their phone, I would definitely suggest the D807 over any phone Cingular has on the market right now. I would probably even go to say this phone is better than the V3i, which isn't that hard to beat when the only diff is that the V3i has iTunes and a 1.3 megapixel camera. It's also no surprise that the screen on my D807 looks twice as good as the Razr, but I guess Samsungs experience at TVs helped with that one.

But overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase, this is one phone I wouldn't mind using for the next two years.

Martin
06-09-2006, 06:58 AM
I also have airplane mode, and video capture with 8x zoom on that and the regular camera.

Hammy2003
06-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Sweet, Dan! Good to hear you like it. It really is an amazing phone.

If SonyEricsson can't figure out what's going on with their more recent models, and their dropping calls in the US, I'd have no problem at all switching to Samsung phones, especially that one. Where usually I don't care for flip/rotate/slide phones (candybar models are my style), that one is the ONLY one I'd consider buying.

Good for you. I'm jealous.

bk2004
06-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Anyone else use the PPC-6700 or the Palm 700p or 700w? I'd appreciate any input before I buy my new phone next week.

I'd say get the UT Starcom phone. The 700w's screen is horrible...it had to be reduced because of the Windows Format...also...windows mobile isn't even THAT reliable. Also, the keyboard on the Treo's are HORRIBLE!! Try typing on that thing...its ridiculous!

Hammy2003
06-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Good news for SonyEricsson lovers (like myself)....

While widely rumored for a while, it has been confirmed that the Walkman W810i will be released by Cingular on July 1. While stores probably will not be carrying it, Cingular will be selling this over the phone (1-866-CINGULAR).

SE has released a new firmware update, and those who've had their phones re-flashed have had no trouble with their providers, Cingular and T-Mobile. It's safe to assume that Cingular will be selling the newer firmware phones.

Mine should be getting back to me in a couple of days. I've been missing it SO much!

As of now, this is the only Q3 SE release by Cingular. SE has some kick-a phones that are ready for release, but providers need to get 'em! The 3MP candybar model is coming out soon, as well as a couple more flip-phone Walkman models. If you ask me, SonyEricsson's got it goin' on.

zongaboy626
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I heard they may come out with the hiptopIII So I am gonna wait

Martin
06-16-2006, 11:57 PM
July 10th is the realease date of the HipTop III.

bk2004
06-17-2006, 12:43 AM
The 3MP candybar model is coming out soon, as well as a couple more flip-phone Walkman models. If you ask me, SonyEricsson's got it goin' on.

Agreed! Its neat how Sony is incorporating it's camera technology skills into these newer sytle cell phones and telling others how to make a camera phone! Can't forget the Walkman part too ;-D.

I've seen this phone in a magazine a couple of weeks back. Looks wicked!

I heard they may come out with the HiptopIII So I am gonna wait

Who, Cingular? Don't even count on it...not soon anyways. T-Mobile has an exclusive deal with Danger, but nobody knows for how long or the terms and conditions. At least don't count on the Hiptop3 to be out on Cingular.

July 10th is the realease date of the HipTop III.

And remember those are just rumors. Danger and/or T-Mobile still haven't officially released anything about this device yet.

RidePhoto101
06-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Anyone have a Sprint PPC-6700? I have been a Sprint customer for the past 3 1/2 years and they are honestly the best carrier in this area. I've also had Alltel, AT&T Wireless (now Cingular), and Verizon in the past, and the only other one that has worked was Alltel. I also like the nationwide coverage.

Anyway, the phone I REALLY want is the Palm Treo 700w, but Sprint got the 700p instead, so if I want Windows Mobile, I have to get the PPC-6700 or go with an alternate OS such as Palm or Blackberry. I specifically want an EV-DO compatable Sprint smart phone that I can also use as a wireless broadband modem for my laptop. The big advantage that I found out about with the PPC-6700 is that they don't have the new EV-DO security features that the newer phones (Palm 700p) have. Basically the PPC-6700 can't tell the difference between using the smart phone itself for accessing the internet, or using the USB cable to connect to a laptop and use the phone as modem feature. The asst. manager at the local Sprint store told me that as long as I have a Power Vision plan ($15/mo.) with the PPC-6700, I don't need to get the unlimited wireless phone-as-modem plan that is an additonal $39.99/mo. Basically by buying this phone instead of the Palm 700p, I'd save $40/mo. and I'd get the windows mobile OS instead of Palm.

Well I bought the PPC-6700 on Wednesday and returned it on Thursday. It's probably a great phone for some people, but the two things that I really wanted to do with it I couldn't easily do. The first thing I wanted to do was use the phone as a wireless modem for my laptop. The problem was that even after installing it, my computer was having problems recognizing it as a modem. It would work once, but as soon as I unplugged it and tried to reconnect it, it came up as unknown device and would not work again, even after re-installing the software. The speed wasn't all that great either.

The second thing that I really wanted to be able to do was access my TD Ameritrade account to view my portfolio and trade directly from the PPC-6700. Unfortunately because the site uses frames, once I signed in, the PPC-6700 could only display the navigation frame, but no content. I could use third party software to receive stock quotes on it, but even with that I still could not actively trade on the go.

I think I'll stick to my Samsung phone for now and switch over to the Samsung Blade (A900) when my current contract runs out early next year. No sense in adding a second line just to get a new phone that has the same functions that I have now.

Martin
06-18-2006, 06:51 PM
And remember those are just rumors. Danger and/or T-Mobile still haven't officially released anything about this device yet.
It was my understanding that the news popped up on T-Mobile News, an online service for T-Mobile representatives. I think there was a report about it on hiptop3.com.

Hammy2003
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Aha! The new firmware update on my phone fixed it. Now, signal everywhere, an "active" signal bar (meaning it changes to the actual signal strength, as it didn't before), no dropped calls so far.

Yay for Sony Ericsson. My W810i is doing what it's SUPPOSED to do.... make phone calls! So happy. Just in time for Cingular to pick up the phone, and sell them in mass quantities, so I won't have a unique phone. Oh well.

Just thought somebody might wanna know. LOL.

bk2004
06-22-2006, 07:30 PM
/\ So you got it back, eh? :D

Did they charge you for the repair?

Hammy2003
06-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Only the one-way shipping to them. That's it. Believe me, there would've been no PAYING for that repair. It was plainly a firware defect, not just a disagreement between a GSM network and the hardware. LOL. I would've said, keep the POS and refund me.

So... all is well. Not a single dropped call thus far, and have had it back now two days. An hour-and-a-half phonecall spanning spotty service areas and an hour drive, and not a single interruption. Way to go, SE and Cingular! Woo-hoo!

So, I was checkin' out Cingular's 3G phones, the LG models. Neat, I guess. I don't have any use for it, and it's kinda gimmicky. But I was just surprised Atlanta's 3G network is already up and running. Didn't seem like long ago New York's had launched. Good to see progress.

By the way, Cingular reps, no...... cellular reps in general are idiots. They know nothing except what Cingular tells them, which is little. Cellular providers need to be hiring people like bk2004, me, and others here in this thread..... people that are interested in the cellular business, and actually know things. Seriously, I'm going back up there today or tomorrow, and asking if they're hiring. Ha!

bk2004
06-23-2006, 11:09 PM
By the way, Cingular reps, no...... cellular reps in general are idiots. They know nothing except what Cingular tells them, which is little. Cellular providers need to be hiring people like bk2004, me, and others here in this thread..... people that are interested in the cellular business, and actually know things. Seriously, I'm going back up there today or tomorrow, and asking if they're hiring. Ha!

HAHA! I feel you on that one. EVERYONE that I've had expierence with in the cell industry is DUMB...just like ride ops and such. This one guy was even trying to get me to ALTELL when I was looking at SunCom! Crazy fools! I went to SUNCOM's store to check out SUNCOM...not ALTELL!!

Anyways, that would be a fun job! Good idea! :D

Skye
06-24-2006, 04:55 PM
my phone (see previous page) is great except that the volume sometimes goes realyl quiet. I think it might be something to do with switching between 3G network (which is bit weak in my area) and the normal network for calls.

I love the 4GB HD though. Recorded a 10 min 35mb movie the other day. qualitly is acceptable for a camera phone too. 4GB is a lot of photos too (maybe 5000 high res).

bk2004
06-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Dang!! 4GB?! That's pretty cool for your phone, especially when you can take video. The Hiptop3 doesn't have video, but I'm gonna get just a 1GB card for pictures and mp3 player that it is. It should be enough.