PDA

View Full Version : Under Rated Coasters

magnumxl2005
12-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Talk about some of the most under rated coasters out there, List them and talk about them.

coasterdude28
12-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Great Bear at Hershey. for some reason that is one of my favorite inverts but i dont realy hear alot of stuff about it.

magnumxl2005
12-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Yea i agree^^ most of hersheys coasters are under rated.

RLLrCoastrLover
12-24-2004, 04:57 PM
I think Titan is under rated.

TopGun2004
12-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Only one roller coaster comes to mine Top Gun the Jet Coaster at Paramount Carowinds.
62 mph coaster 6 inversion with a mist tunnel its a great ride. One of the Best B&M Inverts Out there

Cephas
12-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Top Gun: The Jet Coaster was untill this year when it got 21 on that internet steel coaster poll. I also think Raging Bull is a bit under rated, it's so much better than S:Ros (SFA and SFDL version).

*Edit*- ^darn, you beat me to it.

Montu Man
12-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Montu, 7 inversions, some trenches and tunnels, extraordinary theming... What else do you want?

Gwazi, it has a bunch of duel zones, its wooden, its GCI (I think). It's not Lightning Racer, but come on, most people say it's crap when it's really not.

magnumxl2005
12-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Will Anyone here agree with me for wildcat at hershey??

coasterdude28
12-24-2004, 05:15 PM
iw ill. it hurts like a b*tch but its a fun ride.

sfft_2108
12-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah. I am bout to say S:KC is, but I'll pass. It is not over rated or under rated.

magnumxl2005
12-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Yes it has gotten rough over the years, but comet at hershey is also under rated.

Cephas
12-24-2004, 05:25 PM
So...Is everything at hershey underated? (besides SR)

TDMAMBA
12-24-2004, 05:35 PM
TimberWolf at WoF is definitely an underated ride. It was the NUMBER 1 Coaster in 1991. No hardly anyone ever talks about it especially here. Mamba is also underated, not as much as Timberwolf but still Underated. I don't see how it gets less votes than steel force besides location. Mamba has everything that Steel Force has good and more than Steel Force.

magnumxl2005
12-24-2004, 05:41 PM
I think mostly everything at hershey is under rated , except storm runner. Even tidal force is underated having the biggest splash i have ever seen.

slipknot8527
12-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Son of Beast.

sfft_2108
12-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Its funny.....

Top Gun thinks that Top Gun the Jet Coaster at Paramount Carowinds is under rated

Montu think that Montu is under rated

TDMamba thinks that Mamba is under rated.

I think I am starting to see a trend here.

TDMAMBA
12-24-2004, 06:35 PM
It's true that there's a lil bit of fanism going on but those coaster definitely are underated. Ok I also think that Titan is underated, and so is Gwazi and Mr. Freeze. I've only been on Gwazi outta those but the other two look like real fun.

Now if a CP person comes on saying that Magnu,TTD, and Millennium Force is underated then I think that's pretty retarded.

RLLrCoastrLover
12-24-2004, 06:44 PM
I forgot about Wildfire! It is not so underrated, it is more so unknown. It is a prime example of B&M at their best.

And Yes, Timberwolf is definintly underrated. Mamba is also.

Cephas
12-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Son of Beast.
Ummmm...Thats at the bottom of the list for a reason.

Riddler156
12-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Dania Beach Hurricane, Volcano, Viper (SFMM), GASM (SFoG and SFGAdv), Vortex (PKI), Son of Beast, Racer (PKI), Thunder Road (PC), and Rebel Yell (PKD). I might be wrong but isn't there already a thread on this?

BryanWood
12-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Twister at Knoebel's plays second fiddle to Phoenix, but is still a very good ride.

Big Dipper at Geauga Lake is also a very great classic wooden coaster that doesn't get the love it deserves.

Thunder Run at SFKK doesn't get much attention because it resides at a horrible park, but is very, very good for a Dinn coaster.

TDMAMBA
12-24-2004, 07:08 PM
I Also think the Arrow Mega-Loopers are also underated. We should cherish them now or they may end up like their uncle Orient Express.

willski2002
12-24-2004, 07:48 PM
^I agree with you on Timberwolf, but it needs retracking badly! (at least it did when I went to WOF) Wildfire and Ozark Wildcat look awesome, and so does Boss, especially if it gets the rumored PTC trains. As for the most underrated coaster at my home park, Georgia Scorcher wins hands down. In the back, there are multiple moments of hangtime/airtime in addition to the heavy positive g's, especially in the helix at the end of the ride.

TDMAMBA
12-24-2004, 08:33 PM
There's a rumor that it's supposed to be retracked for 2005. That's one damn good woodie. It's full of speed and airtime. A night ride almost equals a day and trimmed ride on Mamba. I'd only wish they stop trimming it so much. IF Timbewolf gets retracked and they'd let Mamba run even 6mph faster we'd seriously would have 2 top 20 atleast rated coasters. Then in 2006 we'd have a third world class coaster, see who catches that one ;)

Leo C
12-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Wait, did we have an "underrated coaster" thread a few months ago or was that "overrated?" The Search button would answer that.

I'll second Thunder Run @ SFKK. That was a coaster basically unknown to me that packed a nice ride. The sweeping first turn reminds me of Dorney's Hercules a lil.

RllrCoasterFan
12-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Top Thrill Dragster and Millenium Force....Another real big one is Raptor.

J/K

I agree with what RllrCoasterLover about Titan if it wasn't built after Goliath it would be thought of a lot more. Titan is still a good ride, just because Goliath is all the way on the west coast doesn't mean it should be riticuled. Titan is seriously holding it down for the Midwest. IMO Titan is one of the best coasters in the Midwest.

RaptorXLC
12-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Montu, 7 inversions, some trenches and tunnels, extraordinary theming... What else do you want?

Intensity. . . Think what you'd like, but in my opinion, Montu is the world's most overrated coaster. It was slow, boring, and very unintense. I was extremely dissapointed. . . . but that's for a different thread.

I think some of the most underrated coasters are:
Grizzly @ PKD
Talon
Lightning Racer
Steel Force
Big Dipper @ GL
Dominator? (aka B:KF)
Phoenix (although it's usually ranked high, it almost seems like a forgotten coaster. No one ever talks about it.)

Jerry S
12-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Volcano. It got 32, it should be in the top 15, if not 10.

Loch Ness Monster is probably the greatest Arrow looper, and shouldn't be in the hundreds definately. It got 150!! That's what I really don't get: how impulses got higher than it. Some of those polls make me want to tell them to blow me. Well, whatever then, there's my opinion.

iluvcoasters
12-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Great American Scream Machine at SFOG, that ride is so much better than what it was ranked at with the golden tickets.

magnumxl2005
12-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Great White at moreys piers i think is also way underrated, and i agree with lightning racer, that would have to be my favorite woodie in the front seat.

Griswold
12-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Hoosier Huricane or Cornball Express at IB.
Screechin' Eagle, if it ever operates again at Lesourdsville or somewhere else...God please make this happen.
Tennesee Tornado at Dollywood.
Chang or Twisted Twins at KK.

magnumxl2005
12-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Steel Force..The 2nd best morgan i have ever ridden (behind magnum)

Venom Thing
12-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Steel Force..The 2nd best morgan i have ever ridden (behind magnum)
Too bad Magnum wasn't made by Morgan...;)

I'd say Mamba is definetally underrated, but Timberwolf needs ton of work before it becomes a top 20 coaster. I didn't enjoy Timberwolf at all, just like I didn't enjoy Worlds of Fun much at all(guess I had too high of expectations for it being a cedar fair park).

I'd say Montu and Kumba have to be pretty underrated too.

Carowinds 73-03
12-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Thats easy. Top Gun @ Carowinds. Maybe the most under rated coaster out there.

Montu Man
12-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Its funny.....
Montu think that Montu is under rated

When I say Montu rox my sox, some people will start flaming me and saying it stinks.

James
12-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Thats easy. Top Gun @ Carowinds. Maybe the most under rated coaster out there.
yeah.. topgun was really cool...
but the most underated coaster in the park is the NFSS Setpoint coaster.... that little thing is so much fun.. backwards invert suspended water coaster!

Banjo4321
12-25-2004, 11:01 PM
I would say B: TR.

Carowinds 73-03
12-25-2004, 11:07 PM
but the most underated coaster in the park is the NFSS Setpoint coaster.... that little thing is so much fun.. backwards invert suspended water coaster!

I agree. That cute coaster is very underrated as well. You never hear anything about it and i'm sure it's like 500th on the steel coasters list or worst.

Air
12-25-2004, 11:08 PM
I think that most underrated coaster is S: UF. People are like, "It's crap after the Pretzel Loop." I loved that ride, as it was my first flyer.

Other underrated coasters include Gwazi and Oblivion (now that they are building Sheikra). :*)

Kyle L
12-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Medusa West at Six Flags Marine World is totally underated. It has a AWESOME drop, huge loop, tons of killer inversions, the best inversion ever (Sea Serpent). It is easily the best floorless coaster ever made. I've ridden it over 100 times, and I know Aaron has ridden Kraken and Medusa West, and he agrees that Medusa West is superior.

I feel that everyone forgets about Medusa West, it's worth the price of admission, alone.

bk2004
12-25-2004, 11:18 PM

Yeah, Top Gun is one of them. I was going to say it, but then I had second thoughts because I would probably of gotten flamed, but since others have already, I will add to it.

NFSS? No way. I mean, yeah it's a little fun ride, but it's nothing really. The backwards is the best because even though you still get wet, you don't get SOAKED!!

Zombo
12-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Both of the woodies at SFoG are underrated. GASM is fast, fun, and beautiful. Georgia Cyclone . . . well, that coaster is one sick puppy. In a good way!

Revolution at SFMM is another. It still has a lot of drama and smooth whooshy goodness, even with the infamous horsecollar-and-trim-brake downgrades.

And then there's Wild One at SFA. That's one of my all-time favorite coasters, but the rest of the world seems to be pretty much unimpressed by it. Hey, that just means shorter lines for me! Woohoo!

VGplay
12-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Double Loop at Geauga Lake.

Isn't deserving of most of the criticism it recieves.

sfft_2108
12-26-2004, 12:27 AM
I forgot about Wildfire! It is not so underrated, it is more so unknown. It is a prime example of B&M at their best.

And Yes, Timberwolf is definintly underrated. Mamba is also.
Yes, Wildfire is also under rated. It is a great B&M.

HPStormRunner22
12-26-2004, 07:45 AM
ThunderHawk at Dorney. It is one of my favorite woodies. It has great airtime and has good pacing until the block breaks before the bunny hills. Cedar Fair :rolleyes:

slnewbus
12-26-2004, 09:38 AM
ThunderHawk at Dorney. It is one of my favorite woodies. It has great airtime and has good pacing until the block breaks before the bunny hills. Cedar Fair :rolleyes:

^agreed. Two other of the most underated coasters ever are Mean Streak and the former Hercules as well.

Thunderhawk
12-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Will Anyone here agree with me for wildcat at hershey??Definetely. Check the sig.
I agree with whoever said that Thunderhawk is underrated. It looks bad on paper (RCDB, anyway...) but it is really impressive.
Hercules was underrated.

socalMAN123
12-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I don't know a coaster that is underrated.

magnumxl2005
12-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Sorry arrow, anyways thunderhawk has some awsome airtime at dorney. Mamba is under rated i dont know why but its like "the hyper that no one talks about"

Montu Man
12-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Medusa West at Six Flags Marine World is totally underated. It has a AWESOME drop, huge loop, tons of killer inversions, the best inversion ever (Sea Serpent). It is easily the best floorless coaster ever made. I've ridden it over 100 times, and I know Aaron has ridden Kraken and Medusa West, and he agrees that Medusa West is superior.

I feel that everyone forgets about Medusa West, it's worth the price of admission, alone.
Please, let me add that Hydra will literally destroy this thing in means of excitingness and awesomeness. While I'm sure Medusa is fun (it's just Kraken with a different ending, loop and corkscrew vs. sea serpant) I'm sure Dorney's newest coaster will be absolutely awesome, although I'm not sure about the JoJo (terrible name) roll.

coasterking11
12-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Comet at HP over rated so is Disaster Transport.

Raptor Rock
12-27-2004, 12:34 AM
coasterking, I agree with you to some extent that Disaster Transport is underrated. Now, I don't think it's an amazing coaster, or anything, but I do say it's better than most people give it credit for. I used to think it was a pretty crappy ride until I rode it front seat. That was pretty cool. So for those of you who rode DT once and didn't care for it, try riding it again...front seat. Totally different experience, IMO.

Slipknot...I don't understand why you think SoB is underrated. It seems to get plenty of attention if you ask me.

Now, anyway. Unfortunately I haven't been on many coasters. Just the ones at CP (the only park I've ever been to...though that will have to change once I can drive.). However, I think it's fair to say that Wicked Twister is extremely underrated. Even back in it's opening year in 2002, it was not very popular. That really hasn't changed. Even on a crowded day in July, I haven't seen wait times exceed 1/2 an hour or so. I don't think you realize what a good ride WT is until you ride it for yourself. Actually, I guess the same goes for any ride. I'l quit my rant now. :)

tntornadox
12-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood dosent get the love it deserves- being the Smoothest, Tallest Loop, Most overbanked Arrow Mega-Looper out there, many ahve called it the best Arrow Looper. I have a feeling this may change as more people get to DW and check out TH.

Dan G
12-27-2004, 01:04 AM
Two words...Mean Streak. I rode it for the first time last August and I absolutely fell in love with it. I was a little hesitant to ride it from all the things I heard about it on here from people like Magnum Robert and Phil, but when I rode it, it wasn't even as close to the things people had said about it. I mean, I don't see why MR rates Magnum over Mean Streak because I almost lost my legs on Magnum...I absolutely hated the ride. If anything, that coaster has to be one of the most over rated coasters there is...It definetly needs new trains. But Mean Streak was definetly a good coaster and a under rated one at that. People just don't give it as much credit as it deserves.

Marcus
12-27-2004, 03:11 AM
Thunder Run
Should be a top 5 wood coaster. I've never heard a bad review on it and it's a Dinn. Raven has the best back row floater airtime as Thunder Run has the best front row airtime.

What is not underrated is Son of Beast and Great Bear

James
12-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Both of the woodies at SFoG are underrated. GASM is fast, fun, and beautiful. Georgia Cyclone . . .
Both SFOG woodiees are crap.
GASM is one of the top 5 worst coasters i have ever been on. i didnt feel any air... didnt seem to do much.. and even in the back seat with a highlapbar that was let.... it didnt do much...
GA Cyclone in the backseat highlapbar is fun... and much better then gasm.. it still isnt that great.. i just dont see whats so great about the ConeyIsland Cyclone in the first place..

Hmm a coaster that could be put into the "forgot about"/ underated would be Excalibur at Funtown USA. its a great coaster with a lot of air time and a great first drop. Its also the tallest coaster in north new england and only would coaser in maine.

ThunderRun at SFKK is also a great coaster. much better then the clones made of it.. (PKD,PC...)

Wes
12-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Mine would be Roar @ SFA.

You never hear anything about it, but I loved it.

I also can not see how anyone would say Magnum is terrible. One of the best steel coasters out there.

I will agree that Mean Streak is under rated. It's great IMO.

cannonballer
12-27-2004, 10:50 AM
I agree about thunder road, then I also think Cannonball and rampage should be on the list and Blazing fury (it is a coaster so dont even start)

PANTSFREE
12-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Only one roller coaster comes to mine Top Gun the Jet Coaster at Paramount Carowinds.
62 mph coaster 6 inversion with a mist tunnel its a great ride. One of the Best B&M Inverts Out there

deffinately, TG:TJC is easily one of my top ten coasters but it doesn't get a lot of recognition, I think mostly due to it's similar layout to Montu...

Wes
12-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Actually it made it to the Top 20 on the Steel coaster poll this year.

http://www.carowindsconnection.com/community/index.php?showtopic=730

PANTSFREE
12-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I didnt catch that, i was too appaled that S:ROS @ SFA could be third despite having those horrible restraints and being a fregin mirror clone.....

Lochness Monster comes to mind, thats a spiffy little ride, the first drop and the inversions are pretty sweet, and the helix is fun too.

bk2004
12-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Both SFOG woodiees are crap.
GASM is one of the top 5 worst coasters i have ever been on. i didnt feel any air... didnt seem to do much.. and even in the back seat with a highlapbar that was let.... it didnt do much...
GA Cyclone in the backseat highlapbar is fun... and much better then gasm..

I hate GASM too. I always get no air and the hills are so spread out it just glides over them. GA Cyclone is fun. Major air, but it is very rough, but it's fun.

_______

Every single Schwarzkopf shuttle looping coasters are awesome and very under-rated. Well, they are older, but still very fun considering how old they are. They are smooth, compact, and patch a good punch. Plus, no OTSR!!!! :)

magnumxl2005
12-27-2004, 12:49 PM
I to think wicked twister is under rated! Its in my top 5 coasters. I have only ridden it twice but to get the best experience, sit in the way back, looking straight down at the beach 200 feet in the air was amazing.

Wes
12-27-2004, 01:06 PM
GASM @ SFOG is overrated. But if it was mantenanced better I think it could be a good ride.

GA Cyclone is still in my Top 10 woodies, but it has gotten extremly rough because of, guess what, lack of maintenance.

Poor Six Flags, they have had some "bad weather" this year. lol

rlrcstrfreak
12-27-2004, 01:11 PM

Kyle, I agree! I have been on Medusa atleast 50 times! I think it is the best Floorless..... now Hydra is not finished yet people, so lets not relate just yet.

I agree with Kyle.

Martin
12-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Great Bear is overrated, it is good but it is just too short. Mudusa @ Six Flags Great Adventure deserves more credit, it is a great ride and it is the world's first Floorless roller coaster.

Martin
12-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Hmm a coaster that could be put into the "forgot about"/ underated would be Excalibur at Funtown USA. its a great coaster with a lot of air time and a great first drop. Its also the tallest coaster in north new england and only would coaser in maine.Sorry about the double post but I love that coaster my camp in maine goes there every summer on a field trip. Excalibur great coaster but it is underrated because no one goes to Maine to go to Funtown USA. I bet even some people that live in Maine have never even heard of it.

SFOG Freak
12-27-2004, 01:48 PM
GA Cyclone. It's one of the most intense rides out there.

Keep your mouth shut stinks...

slipknot8527
12-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Yah, how dare you dog a sub par woodie!!!!

Viper was underrated....I would really rather have Viper back then Superman.

Wes
12-27-2004, 01:57 PM
LOL. I'd rather have both, but that'd be a hard pick if I had to pick one. I loved Viper. I love those shuttle loops.

rlrcstrfreak
12-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Keep your mouth shut stinks... Whats the matter mister grumpy gills?

chill. :leeloo2:

bk2004
12-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Vipe for sure. It never had a line and when it did it moved so fast. They could of just moved the coater somewhere. It could of fit anywhere.

Or they could of built Superman around it. The loop of Viper and the tall spike is like where Supermans station is now. They at least left Vipers station up and painted it haha.

Wes
12-27-2004, 03:09 PM
I never understood that either. They could have easily fit that coaster about anywhere in the park.

They could have had it run to the right of GASM and have you walk over it to get to the station or something.

James
12-27-2004, 03:34 PM
GA Cyclone. It's one of the most intense rides out there.

Keep your mouth shut stinks...

:D

Riverside Cyclone is way more intense.. and a much better ride.. and its not a clone :-P

ride6
12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Okay here's the underateds:
Everthing @ Hershey except Storm Runner, Lightning Racer or their mine train (it sucks okay?)

Shivering Timbers @ Michigans Adventure- I realize it often ranks very highly in polls and that many people do indeed love it. However that doesn't change the fact that many coaster fans haven't ridden it purely because it's so far away from the main drag.

Cornball Express @ Indiana Beach- My Favorite wooden coaster that just so happens to be located at my favorite park. Both the coaster and the park it's in are HIGHLY UNDERATED. This park has a similarity to Michigans Adventure in that it's a ways away from other amusement parks. on the other hand this one comes alive in the night, when Cornball Charges down the tracks with relentless speed and extreme airtime and when the midway sparkles with neon and classic bulbs.

Wicked Twister is kinda ignored at the 'Point. I mean it's one of the best rides there after MF and Raptor imo. A back seat ride is the most "Xtreme" thing you can do at Cedar Point, even better than Dragster.

ride6

RaptorXLC
12-29-2004, 03:28 PM
I disagree. I think Lightning Racer is underrated. While talking about great wooden coasters, almost no one ever mentions LR, yet it's possibly one of the absolute best.

SFOG Freak
12-29-2004, 03:31 PM
I never understood that either. They could have easily fit that coaster about anywhere in the park.

They could have had it run to the right of GASM and have you walk over it to get to the station or something.
Maybe they purchased Superman with the money they got from Viper. Of course, Viper isn't worth as much, but i'm sure it did help.

Whats the matter mister grumpy gills?

chill. :leeloo2:
Did you get my permission to call me 'mister grumpy gills'? I diddn't think so. Also, I was joking...

magnumxl2005
12-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Lightning Racer is my favorite woodie, simply the best in the front seat, Great white at moreys piers is also an extremly under rated woodie, the drop into the board walk after the station, lifting towards the atlantic ocean its just awsome.

ThunderDan
12-29-2004, 04:22 PM
The Vekoma Flyers don't get much respect, and are scary as heck. I think the manufacturer scares people into underating them.

Agreed that Hershey's Comet, Dorney's Thunderhawk, Knoebel's Twister, Kennywood Jackrabbit, and Geauga Lake's Big Dipper should get more recognition than playing second fiddle to their other woodies in the parks.

Avalanche at PKD is underated as a family coaster. It's almost a lie- down coaster. The Mack/Maurer Söhne/Miler/Reverchron/Schwarzkopf/Zamperla/Zierer mice coasters are also UNDERrated as family rides.

magnumxl2005
12-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Yes comet is under rated, i 100% agree on that one as well with the mice coasters and vekoma flyers. I think slc's are underrated, some can be rough but the great nor easter was an awsome invert. Boomerangs I think are underrated also, everyone i ridden was enjoyable.

ride6
12-30-2004, 12:40 AM
I disagree with Lightning Racer being underated. It's ranked just as it should be since it just seems too perfect. There are no really sudden shifts of force. Everything is so natural about it that it almost looses a bit of the thrill. It's a great ride but Wildcat is better imo. Comit is simply magical at night, I did it over and over and over when I was there a couple years back. So wonderful.

I stand guilty of underating the Vecoma Flyers though. Even though I've been on Batwing...

Raging Bull is underated too and I should've mentioned it before. Honestly, ride it in the back seat on the outside (either left or right, don't matter) in the very back; from there the first drop is better that Millennium Forces. It yanks you from the seat and pins you to the lapbar all the way into the tunnel which looks too small for you to fit into since you're on the outside. Excellent thrills.

ride6

cannonballer
12-30-2004, 08:38 AM
I had mentioned cannonball @ LW and Rampage @ Visionland 3 pages back and noone replied to either coaster therfore I am convinced those two are the MOST underated! Cannonball is on of J Allens best classic out and back much better than his monster @ SFOG and the smoothest one he has ever built.It has awsome airtime crazy bunnyhills, trick track on the first drop, and the best headchopper ever.

Rampage is a great coaster that 90 percent of coaster lovers have never ridden and 50 percent have never heard of. I mean the thing would be my #1 if it werent for Thunderhead Rampage nevers stops the craziness and you get lost in the layout when you ride it. The front is ok but the back is intense as hell. I give Visionland five years and the park will be as good as their signiture coaster.

NOW let me throw in Screechin eagle at Americanna, lets hope it opens again soon as it was a damn good ride at night.

magnumxl2005
12-30-2004, 03:08 PM
I am not saying this one is under rated its just not talked about much on here, apollos chariot! Its incredible but i never hear about it on here.

slnewbus
12-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Thunderdan brings up a great point in that the Schwarzkoph mice are really underated. True that. The only one I ever rode was Wildcat at Cedar Point. That is the best Mouse Ride I have ever ridden.

I still think that Hercules was the most underated coaster of all time. Followed by Mean Streak, Thunderhawk, Twister at knoebels, Comet at hershey, Gemini, and Great Bear.

annoyed
12-31-2004, 01:02 PM
I dont know if anybody has said this or not yet (Im to lazy to read all 6 pages) but Im going to have to say Wild Thing at Valleyfair! Steel Force gets such rave reviews, why not WT? I think it has a WAY better turnaround than SF.

Cephas
12-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Raging Bull is underated too and I should've mentioned it before. Honestly, ride it in the back seat on the outside (either left or right, don't matter) in the very back; from there the first drop is better that Millennium Forces. It yanks you from the seat and pins you to the lapbar all the way into the tunnel which looks too small for you to fit into since you're on the outside. Excellent thrills.Back row, left seat.

Also in the back you can't even feel the trim brakes.

Montu Man
12-31-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree with ride6, LR is constantly rated at the best, or one of them. I think any wild mouse is under rated, simply because their cool. If you don't beleive me, ride Matterhorn Blitz at Europa Park. The elevator lift is awesome. That one has a bunch of stuff you won't see at other parks, simply because it's the Mack showcase and test park. And my dad works for Mack, so that makes the ride even better.

ThunderDan
12-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Mack makes some interesting looking rides. EuroMir and Eurosat look like must rides. Avalanche at PKD is underated as I said.

Good flat rides too. Calypso is my favorite spinning pod ride, Musik Express is the best of their genre, and the Petersburger Schlittenfahrt is my favorite swing-Bob ride.

Macyismydog5
12-31-2004, 03:38 PM
Roar at SFMW is very underated, it is much better than the roar at SFA. the first drop is so cool, and the entire ride gives you n out of control feeling. Plus the millenium flyer trains rock!!!

magnumxl2005
12-31-2004, 03:53 PM
Disastor Transport is under rated, to me. Its short but pretty fun, even though it has a lot of down time.

Macyismydog5
12-31-2004, 04:20 PM
That may be true, although I have never ridden DT...Noone around here ever talks about it, so it may very well be underated.

ThunderDan
12-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Sarajevo Bobsled was a very fun ride for me in the 80's.

SFOG Freak
12-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Villain @ GL. It's one of my all time favorite rides, but I rarely hear good things about it from other people.

Montu Man
12-31-2004, 06:48 PM
I think Python is under rated when it comes to head banging. I almost got a concussion on that, and everytime I ride, I get a headache.

Leo C
12-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Would VIPER @ Six Flags Darien Lake be an underrated coaster? I've never been on it, but the layout in a POV I saw looks like a lot of fun.

socalMAN123
12-31-2004, 08:57 PM
I don't know I've neveer been there either. I took a look at the layout and it looks like a fun coaster to ride. I can't wait to ride it!

coasterdude28
12-31-2004, 09:08 PM
it was an OK ride but i would not consider it underrated.

slnewbus
01-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I cant stand DT. It is lame and boring.

chach45
01-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Ok, Chang has got to be the most under rated ride on the face of the Earth... No one talks about it, and its amazing! The layout alone is awesome to look at! Common folks, we gotta put Chang in there. Aaaaand Superman Krypton Coaster at Fiesta Texas. I dont think ive ever seen anything about that coaster before too.

CPdude05
01-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Disaster Transport would be alot funner if it would be longer, and bigger. Its just too darn short. Its a pretty fun ride though.

I know an underrated ride. Zach's Zoomer! Its just a fun little woodie, but its fast for its size. It stinks that the trains are too small though.

Bencerisback
01-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Kyle, I agree! I have been on Medusa atleast 50 times! I think it is the best Floorless..... now Hydra is not finished yet people, so lets not relate just yet.

I agree with Kyle.

medusa is like the same thing as other b&m sitdowns like kumba except floorless, and if a ride like that is the best floorless, ride kraken my friend

also i think wildfire is underrated, as well as python at BGT...jk
thunderation - great ride not popular at all (its at SDC)

LoCoSuMo
01-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Wildfire at SDC, Avalanche at Timber Falls, and the majority of CCIs.

Cephas
01-01-2005, 06:51 PM
A B&M floorless that nobody ever talks about is Superman: Krypton Coaster. That ride is really cool becaue on the first drop you dive down a cliff. I guess nobody has ridden it...

TDMAMBA
01-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I haven't ridden it but Steel Eel looks fairly underated. It looks to have a great layout and no one really talks about it. I've heard good and bad about it compared to the 3 CF morgans.

BTW , someone said earlier that Steel Force is underated. WHat!?!, ya gotta be kidding me. From what I've heard it was one of the most OVERATED coasters on the East Coast or US. But I think it would go Wild-THing then Mamba as underated, Wild-Thing has an interesting layout but still to me, not as good as Mamba. Valleyfair's coasters for the most part besides Steel Venom were slightly inferior to WOF's coasters and that's on an unbiased eye.

Cephas
01-01-2005, 08:49 PM
I have ridden Steel Eel, It was a long time ago, but I think I remember it well enough to talk about it. I remember it being a great ride but kinda short for a hyper (k, well it really isn't a hyper but you get the picture) and the drop was to short (It is only like 150' anyways I think), but I was a fun ride. Sea World was empty the day I was there and I rode the thing like 30 times. I remember it had alot of air on every single hill [best part]. Its just kinda like a smaller version of Magnum. I can't compare it to any other morgans because its the only morgan I have ridden.

Matt M
01-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I'd have to go with Viper at SFGAm, Ninja at SF St. Louis, and Mr. Freeze.

slnewbus
01-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I haven't ridden it but Steel Eel looks fairly underated. It looks to have a great layout and no one really talks about it. I've heard good and bad about it compared to the 3 CF morgans.

BTW , someone said earlier that Steel Force is underated. WHat!?!, ya gotta be kidding me. From what I've heard it was one of the most OVERATED coasters on the East Coast or US. But I think it would go Wild-THing then Mamba as underated, Wild-Thing has an interesting layout but still to me, not as good as Mamba. Valleyfair's coasters for the most part besides Steel Venom were slightly inferior to WOF's coasters and that's on an unbiased eye.

Don't be dissing my Steel Force. lol.

Since when does everybody have my avatar?

Brian F
01-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Nothing at Cedar Point is underrated, because it's at Cedar Point.

I agree with Chang- it's night and day different to Mantis. When I rode Mantis, it seemed to me as though Mantis was a rough draft for Chang.

Most underrated that I have ridden- Cornball Express. Stupidest name ever on a coaster, IMHO. Numbers are disappointing to look at (55 feet, 45 mph) but the ride- Wow. Anyone who considers themself an airtime hound has to go ride this little beauty. Sit in the last seat or second to last. You get airtime everywhere except leaving and entering the station. Even on the lift hill!

coastersrsweet
01-02-2005, 02:21 AM

Of course it is, they don't have anything else at Marine World.

I've been on Kraken a dozen dozen times, hah, don't think it's underrated though. Never been on Medusa West but my dad has and he's told me great things. Okay, here's one! Twister at Knoebels, 'twas amazing!! I bet most of you have never even been there, way underrated!!

socalMAN123
01-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Medusa West is the same thing as Scream at SFMM down here. So I can say that I've been on Medusa West, even though it's not Medusa West. I'm probably confusing you, am I not?

rapTORrock?
01-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Medusa West is a different layout than Scream. Scream is a mirror clone of Medusa East! I'd have to say the most under rated coaster is the Hershey Park Wildcat. That is one of the greatest woodies ever built and it gets no recognition at all. The layout is genious and the track is rough enough to have some balls behind it. Its a great ride, still probably my favorite woodie.

slnewbus
01-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Nothing at Cedar Point is underrated, because it's at Cedar Point.

One of the most underated coasters of all time is Mean Streak, and what park is that in?

Another underated coaster is Mantis, and what park is that located in?

Another underated coaster is Gemini, and what park is that located in?

Think before you say something like that.

RaptorXLC
01-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't exactly call Mantis and Gemini underrated. And many people don't like Mean Streak, and many people do. I personally wouldn't consider it underrated just because most people hate it.

coastersrsweet
01-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah, when people think CP they think MF, TTD, etc. and forget the other oldies such as mean streal and gemini.

Cephas
01-02-2005, 04:48 PM
and Blue Streak, Iron Dragon and DT.

Hey Slnewbus, I thought I was the only one with this avatar.

magnumxl2005
01-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Iron Dragon is under rated, I thought it was awsome swinging through the trees and over the water.

Brian F
01-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Ease up, kids, I'm a CP fanboy, too. But Cedar Point is regarded as the best park for coasters (rightly so) and therefore I stand by my comments. It's far and away my favorite park, and has my two favorite coasters (Magnum and MF)

Mean Streak is underrated? Not in a lifetime. I wish I'd first ridden it ten years ago, instead of two. A 161' wooden coaster with no airtime can never be underrated, even if someone says it sucks. Woodys are about airtime, and MS has none to speak of. And I'm not some B&M puss, either- check my signature. That said, I think MS is one of the most aesthetically pleasing coasters I have ever seen. But I can show you a coaster one third the size that gives a far superior ride. If CP shows MS some love, and gets rid of the trims, and brings back some air, I'll be very glad to change my opinion. VERY glad. I'd love to love MS, but it's just a disappointment.

Mantis just sucks, sorry. If you like Mantis, you've never ridden Chang. I don't mind a rough coaster ride, but I'm not really fond of being kicked in the 'nads, which was the only feeling I took away from Mantis. Didn't get that at all from Chang.

Iron Dragon- great ride. Honestly, I've never ridden an Arrow that I didn't like. Blue Streak- nice older woody.

That said, there are 12 adult sized coasters at CP that I think rate at least good, and a couple that are unbeatable.

So, lighten up fanboys- I'm not Point bashing. I love the Point as much as anyone. But, since the focus of CP is SOLELY on the coasters, I say none of them are underrated.

magnumxl2005
01-02-2005, 06:28 PM
I can agree with you on ms, but not mantis, i have never really payed any attention to it till last year when I finally got tired of riding millennium force and dragster over and over, I rode mantis and it is one of my top 5 b&m's for some reason it wasn't rough or hurt me at all. Has a lot of sudden drops and twists, I love it.

Brian F
01-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Dude, ride what you want, and enjoy it. I'm just putting out my opinion, which is as worthless and valuable as everyone else's.

I was worried that some might have taken what I initially posted as CP bashing, which is not what I was doing.

Had I never ridden Chang, I might easily see Mantis the way you do. (If the ride is good enough, slight testicular discomfort is allowable) If you go ride Chang, you may see Mantis as I do.

At any rate- peace on the subject. See you in line, just not for mantis :)

magnumxl2005
01-02-2005, 06:57 PM
LOL^^ Hey its alright we all got different likes and dislikes, and had this being my first stand up probably enjoyed it a lot more. Well then if i won't see you in line for mantis we can all agree on seeing each other in line for the force ;)

hulkrider04
01-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Steel Venom at Valleyfair!. All you hear about is Wicked Twister but I love how SV holds you for 2 sec on the last drop

slnewbus
01-02-2005, 07:14 PM
LOL^^ Hey its alright we all got different likes and dislikes, and had this being my first stand up probably enjoyed it a lot more. Well then if i won't see you in line for mantis we can all agree on seeing each other in line for the force ;)

completely agreed.^

I thought I was the only one with this avatar. lol.

Brian F
01-03-2005, 02:34 AM
I'll save ya both a spot!

koasterkid14
01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Mindbender, GASM, and Scorcher @ SFoG. Especially Mindbender, It's one of the few great Schwarzy's (sp?) left. I also think that Volcano is the best suspended coaster out there! Nothing beats having your legs ripped beneath your seat during that 72 mph launch!! LOL

Nitro1118
01-04-2005, 12:32 AM
1) S:RoS at SFNE. Anything but #1 really does make this coaster underrated.

2) Kraken. My favorite B&M coaster is never in any top 10 polls, even though it is probably one of the 2 or 3 best B&M's out there.

3) Storm Runner. Even though it usually gets praised highly, it still doesn't get the reconiztion it deserves. Intesne, fast, good layout, and a very exciting ride.

4)Talon. Is never mentioned in any coaster polls, and ends up around #25-30 or so. It is my favorite inverted coaster, I even rank it higher than Montu and Raptor.

5) Great White at Morey's Piers. NEVER mentioned, but is a very fun coaster that keeps the wooden coaster on the shore tradition.

rlrcstrfreak
01-04-2005, 01:40 AM
^ Kraken is overrated.

Cid
01-04-2005, 03:14 AM
I want to add both the coasters at Sea World of Texas.

Steel Eel is a great mini-hyper. A intense drop over the water, lot of airtime, and almost always a short line.

The Great White. Sure its a clone of the Batman rides, but it gets forgottin in all of them. Even RCDB labels it as a "batman" inverted coaster. I say its better because it doesn't carry the Batman theme.

Ta2KX
01-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Thunder Run at SFKK, I can't believe its not CCI, thing certainly behaves like one.
Cornball Express at Indiana Beach, load a full train on a warm summer evening, it's a trip and a half.
But Boss at #42 on the wood coaster poll, that is rediculous. I've been on my fair share of wood coasters and this coaster does not belong anywhere that far down.
I question Thunderhead's #5 status, that ride is a joke, Hercules section before it would hit the lift had more power than that garbage.

sfft_2108
01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I want to add both the coasters at Sea World of Texas.

Steel Eel is a great mini-hyper. A intense drop over the water, lot of airtime, and almost always a short line.

The Great White. Sure its a clone of the Batman rides, but it gets forgottin in all of them. Even RCDB labels it as a "batman" inverted coaster. I say its better because it doesn't carry the Batman theme.
Ture both of those coasters are underated. Steel Eel never has a long line. In matter of fact, neither does Great White. You can get unlimited rides on both of those coasters.

magnumxl2005
01-04-2005, 02:00 PM
I to agree about storm runner, non stop fun its amazing.

Thrill Rider
01-04-2005, 02:25 PM
But Boss at #42 on the wood coaster poll, that is rediculous. I've been on my fair share of wood coasters and this coaster does not belong anywhere that far down.

During opening year, I would be right there with you in that argument. When that thing opened, it was a monster. The speed and intensity was unreal. And as for the people that like a coaster to be jerky, the Boss definately gave it too you. Unfortunately, it was built at Six Flags so the ride was of course tamed down. So when I came back a few years later, the glorious coaster had lost its touch. Trim brakes and aging had taken its toll. Granted, this was in 2002 so maybe things have changed since then. I really hope 'cause this ride can be amazing.

As far as under-rated coasters in my opinion:

Batman Clones These rides are incredible. The intensity is just mindblowing. I think their rep has been a little tainted with the cloning.

Dominator This ride really gets drowned out by other rides like Kraken and SKC, and probably for good reason. But nevertheless, this ride is awesome. It has one of B&Ms more unique layouts. Not too mention, the first drop in the back right seat is crazy.

Timberland Twister I'm not sure this ride is so much under rated, but rather, nobody has ridden it. This ride is crazy fun. Its not terribly long, tall, or fast. Its just really fun.

magnumxl2005
01-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Great white at moreys piers could be one of the most under rated coasters of all time. At night going underneath the boarwalk is awsome, when ever you are on a different pier and you look at great white it looks frightning.

Zombo
01-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I'd have to say the most under rated coaster is the Hershey Park Wildcat. That is one of the greatest woodies ever built and it gets no recognition at all. The layout is genious and the track is rough enough to have some balls behind it. Its a great ride, still probably my favorite woodie.

Wildcat rocks! Especially when it first opened and would stand you straight up in your seat. But it's still really good, and probably my second favorite woodie in PA, which is saying something with all the good wood we've got around here.

magnumxl2005
01-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes Go wildcat!! It looks soo much taller than it actually is, i believe its smaller than lightning racer but it looks twice the height.

Macyismydog5
01-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Is wildcat really getting as bumpy as everyone says? Or are they just exaggerating?

magnumxl2005
01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
No its pretty bumpy these days.

rlrcstrfreak
01-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I think that Kong @ SFMW is underrated! I mean yeah it is an SLC, but it is smooth... I think it could be smoother, but it really is smooth.

Macyismydog5
01-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Hmmm...that sucks....lol

Oh and rlr, Kong is the best SLC evar!! I'll agree with you on that :)

magnumxl2005
01-04-2005, 09:05 PM
I think the best/most under rated slc would be the great nor' easter.

Macyismydog5
01-04-2005, 09:07 PM
That has to be the weirdest name ever on a coaster. I wonder where morey's peir got the idea for the name.

magnumxl2005
01-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Its a big storm that happens once every so often, im not really sure what exactly it is, could someone help?

Montu Man
01-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Dueling Dragons is underrated... It's fun, and just one track is longer then a lot of B&M's out there.

Macyismydog5
01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Its a big storm that happens once every so often, im not really sure what exactly it is, could someone help?

Kind of like el nino?

Zombo
01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Is wildcat really getting as bumpy as everyone says? Or are they just exaggerating?

I think it depends on where you ride it. In the back, it's almost unrideable. Then again, it's never been a very good backseat ride.

In the front, I'd say it's still smoother than your average wooden twister, and many steelies. You can get banged around more on Storm Runner or the Wild Mouse, or at least I do. It's rough in comparison to Lightning Racer, but that's not a fair comparison. Everything is rougher than Lightning Racer!

Thunderhawk
01-05-2005, 12:59 PM
I think it depends on where you ride it. In the back, it's almost unrideable. Then again, it's never been a very good backseat ride.
I disagree with you, and everyone else saying Wildcat is rough. There is one turn, even in the backseat, where I find it necessary to "prepare" for it. Wildcat isn't rough overall; you may get one run once in a while where it is rough, but for the most part, it's smooth. In the front of wildcat, or even in the middle, anyone who calls it rough should stay away from woodcoasters and just go enjoy their ultrasmooth B&Ms.

I don't mean to single anyone out or make them feel bad. I'm just sick of people complaining about perfectly fine wooden rollercoasters.

magnumxl2005
01-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Kind of like el nino? Yea i guess it is kind of like el nino, I did read about once and i forget about most of the facts about it.

ThunderDan
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Some woodies are tempermental. Wildcat feels a little rough when the temperature drops. It's smooth as glass when its really hot. Best woodie in the park. True, PA is the home of some of the best wood!

Dueling Dragons is what?

leeloo1953
01-05-2005, 03:18 PM
All coasters are "Under Rated", because all people are different in their taste of coasters. The Jack Rabbit at Kennywood is in my top 5 coasters...I don't think there are too many around who would put that in their top 5. So to me it's "Under Rated". I don't think you can say "any" coaster is Under Rated, honestly, because we all have our very "Own Ratings" when it comes to coasters.

But, I'm sure this thread is about what the coaster "experts" think... I won't use that other "E" word. LOL!!

There really is no "Under Rated" or "Over Rated" coaster around. Every coaster gives "somebody" a fun time.

ThunderDan
01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Jack Rabbit is my number 5 :)

leeloo1953
01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
OMG!! That's wonderful!! The Jack Rabbit is the one true coaster that reminds me of Euclid Beach. I think maybe, it's the only coaster I've been on in my area, that still makes me scared to death, I'm gonna fall out, at least in that one part!! lol!

Chip
01-05-2005, 04:02 PM
There really is no "Under Rated" or "Over Rated" coaster around. Every coaster gives "somebody" a fun time.Truer words have never been spoken! Sometimes I walk around Cedar Point wondering if anyone really likes Mantis or Cedar Creek Mine Ride, but then I realize that there is someone who totally digs the ride. It's their favorite ride in the world. It's underrated to them because they appreciate it more than anyone else.

And you are right on with your Jack Rabbit comments. That ride's freaking nuts. It looks like a harmless kiddy woodie, but it's terrifying in the back seat. Few rides truly scare me anymore, but Jack Rabbit was one.

bk2004
01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
/\ Holy Crap tell me about it! That ride is insane, though the layout is literally a copy of the Thunderbolt when it's in the ravine.

I wanted to put up my hands so bad, but I didn't because I was scared that I was going to fall out. I had no idea that you 'slide' in the lap bars, and not lock them down. And then that little leather belt. Please! Mine as well not even be there.

Zombo
01-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I disagree with you, and everyone else saying Wildcat is rough. There is one turn, even in the backseat, where I find it necessary to "prepare" for it.

Do you mean going into the final helix where it tries to throw you at the Wild Mouse? That part is great! Wildcat is a great example of the whole "good rough versus bad rough" paradigm. The parts where it throws you around a bit are intentional, and a lot of fun. It's not badly maintained or poorly designed. It's just doing its job, and it does it well.

Holy Crap tell me about it! That ride is insane, though the layout is literally a copy of the Thunderbolt when it's in the ravine.

Or vice versa? The ravine part of Thunderbolt was the majority of Pippin's layout before it was converted. I've never seen a full picture of Pippin, but based on what remains and my mom's descriptions of it, it sounds like Pippin was a bigger variation of Jack Rabbit. A king-sized Jack Rabbit sounds perfectly okay by me!

I'm another Jack Rabbit lover. Look at it like this. It's short, the ride crews are fast, and the lines are short. It's one of the most extreme coasters ever (seriously), and you can ride it like 8 times an hour even on a busy day. Given a choice between waiting three hours to ride TTD once, and riding Jack Rabbit 25 times . . . you'll see me riding Jack Rabbit. :D

It's amazing how well Jack Rabbit goes over with young riders too, considering it's 80+ years old and 40' tall. Listen to teenagers discuss it in line some time - it scares the bejebus out of them. My girlfriend's 11 year old daughter loves it, and wants to go to Kennywood some day and do nothing but ride Jack Rabbit all day.

Wow, long post. Sorry, folks. :(

Thunderhawk
01-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Do you mean going into the final helix where it tries to throw you at the Wild Mouse? That part is great! Wildcat is a great example of the whole "good rough versus bad rough" paradigm. The parts where it throws you around a bit are intentional, and a lot of fun. It's not badly maintained or poorly designed. It's just doing its job, and it does it well. I totally agree, Zombo. I must have misread your post - I thought you were saying that Wildcat is bad rough, not good rough. For the rest of you: wildcat is not like sitting in a soft, plush arm chair in your living room. But it doesn't throw you around too much either. I wouldn't think twice about recommending the backseat to anyone.

leeloo1953
01-05-2005, 10:16 PM
The first time my daughters rode the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood...from what they say will be their last ride on Jack Rabbit. They say it was the scariest coaster they have ever been on, they felt they were going to fall out of it!! I told them that's the kind of coasters I grew up riding. The coasters at Euclid Beach had a stationary bar to hold on to, if you were short, you had to lean forward to hold on. The also had a small "chain" that went across your laps. If you wanted the chain to fit tight, you had better be very, very big, and I mean "very" big!!!

That's what we had for safety. The "real" restraints we had were dad, grampa, uncle. Not mom, cause mom's weren't considered strong enough to hold you in! LOL!!

Oh to have those days back! Problem I have right now, is when we get back to Kennywood, how do I get my daughters back on Jack Rabbit?? It is the "only" coaster to actually scare them!!! So much so they, won't ride it again, because they both honestly believed they were going to fall out!! In their words..."Mom, if you grew up riding coasters like this...why are you still alive?? LOL!

rlrcstrfreak
01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Steel Venom: http://www.rcdb.com/id1920.htm never gets Credit even though it is an imulse.

Macyismydog5
01-05-2005, 11:03 PM
V2 at marine world should get credit then, because it is one of the three unique impulse coasters.

Griswold
01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
The first time my daughters rode the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood...from what they say will be their last ride on Jack Rabbit. They say it was the scariest coaster they have ever been on, they felt they were going to fall out of it!! I told them that's the kind of coasters I grew up riding. The coasters at Euclid Beach had a stationary bar to hold on to, if you were short, you had to lean forward to hold on. The also had a small "chain" that went across your laps. If you wanted the chain to fit tight, you had better be very, very big, and I mean "very" big!!!

That's what we had for safety. The "real" restraints we had were dad, grampa, uncle. Not mom, cause mom's weren't considered strong enough to hold you in! LOL!!

Oh to have those days back! Problem I have right now, is when we get back to Kennywood, how do I get my daughters back on Jack Rabbit?? It is the "only" coaster to actually scare them!!! So much so they, won't ride it again, because they both honestly believed they were going to fall out!! In their words..."Mom, if you grew up riding coasters like this...why are you still alive?? LOL!

Actually I had heard that Jackrabbit is going to have a new lap bar system installed. Say goodbye to the rope and chain. It's disheartening, but it was so much fun to ride it last summer.

rlrcstrfreak
01-05-2005, 11:23 PM
V2 at marine world should get credit then, because it is one of the three unique impulse coasters.
There are more then three:
here is one http://www.rcdb.com/id1494.htm
and another http://www.rcdb.com/id1251.htm
http://www.rcdb.com/ig747.htm?picture=6

Ahh what the heck go here: http://www.rcdb.com/installationresult.htm?column=1,10,3,4,5&order=1,2&model=171

bk2004
01-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Even though, it should have steller air still. I would prefer it to have lap-bars. I would actually put my hands up.

Does that mean the end of the awesometastical old trains?? Hope not!!

Macyismydog5
01-05-2005, 11:28 PM
I said unique as in not like the other impulses. The only ones are wicked twister, the modified V2, and the one at LaQUa.

Thrill Rider
01-06-2005, 12:27 AM
I think that Kong @ SFMW is underrated! I mean yeah it is an SLC, but it is smooth... I think it could be smoother, but it really is smooth.

It's great to hear that ride is still doing so well. I rode this in 1996 at Opryland when it was Hangman and the thing was smooth as glass. It is amazing how much fun SLCs are when they are actually smooth. Its a shame that the rest can't be as great.

LoCoSuMo
01-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Actually I had heard that Jackrabbit is going to have a new lap bar system installed. Say goodbye to the rope and chain. It's disheartening, but it was so much fun to ride it last summer.

I really hope that is just rumor, because that would really suck. Not just the fact that it wouldn't be as good of a ride, but the fact that they would be going against their traditional rides two years in a row. Plus it would lose it's official coaster classic status.

magnumxl2005
01-06-2005, 08:15 PM
I think all impulses don't get the attention they deserve, I have only ridden one though (wt) and I love being launched over the sand, looking straight down 21 and a half storys down.

Zombo
01-07-2005, 12:21 AM
The first time my daughters rode the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood...from what they say will be their last ride on Jack Rabbit. They say it was the scariest coaster they have ever been on, they felt they were going to fall out of it!! I told them that's the kind of coasters I grew up riding.
. . . .
Oh to have those days back!

Speaking of the way coasters used to be, here's a question for leeloo or another veteran coaster fan. Did you ever ride Hersheypark's Comet before they braked the daylights out of it? How was it? Did it give you a serious Schmecking like a good Schmeck should? Comet is a pretty fun ride now, but imagine if it ran wide open like Phoenix. :eek:

magnumxl2005
01-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes I believe it was acourding to what my dad has said about it.

matteocrepaldi
01-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Son of Beast

RllrCoasterFan
01-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Wildfire...not sure if anyone said it already but no one ever talks about it and it is a very good ride. I think it might come back up again once Powder Keg is done or fall farther back into the woods.

socalMAN123
01-18-2005, 09:02 PM
^^Son of Beast? Underrated? Yeah right.http://thrillnetwork.com/boards/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Macyismydog5
01-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Wildfire...not sure if anyone said it already but no one ever talks about it and it is a very good ride. I think it might come back up again once Powder Keg is done or fall farther back into the woods.

I never really noticed how it even existed. It must be underated, I mean cmon', it's a B&M sitdown, and those are pretty rare.

RllrCoasterFan
01-19-2005, 01:34 PM
^Yes that is exactly what I am talking about. The thing that sucks is that is a really good ride and has a straight drop...really rare for a B&M.

Another coaster that looks really great and a really good floorless is I am not sure of the name but the Superman la attraction in Mexico or Spain. It is at a Warner Brothers Park in Mexico and it looks like so much fun, but I don't think many people know about it. I would give a pic but I am at school and it won't let me get on RCDB. That looks like a great ride.

midgetdogg02
01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Thunder Run at SFKK
Wicked Twister at CP
The Racer at PKI

Macyismydog5
01-19-2005, 05:48 PM
^Yes that is exactly what I am talking about. The thing that sucks is that is a really good ride and has a straight drop...really rare for a B&M.

That is the same reason that I think Medusa at SFMW is underated, the straight and non twisting drop.

LoCoSuMo
01-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Don't forget that not only does it have a strait drop, it goes into an immelman which is pretty rare also since B&M is known for the curving drop into a vertical loop.

ride6
01-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah. It's the odd Bimmer, at least until Hydra opens. :p

Wildcat at Hersheypark is excellent imo and it looses out on attention because of it's big brother (Lightning Racer) being just across the midway. I don't know what it is but I prefer the PTC rolling stock to the GCI any day. I think it's that it makes the train do a bit of the suffle and to me a wooden coaster isn't a wooden coaster without some shake, rattle, and roll. Lightning Racer was so smooth the two days I was there that it might as well been a steel coaster. Hell, Gemini is rougher. Yeah I just love Wildcat because it has the forces but it also has the wooden coaster expearience pulling for it.

ride6

HPStormRunner22
01-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Yea Wildcat is underated. It is an excellant coaster with great G's. It has just the right amount of roughness. The front seat is great though. It is not very rough on your head you can just feel it shaking your legs. It provides the feel of roughness with out headaches.

900th Post

Griswold
01-23-2005, 02:07 PM
There was an intense pop of air that I noticed on Wildcat near the end of the ride.....really caught me off guard, but it thrilled me. The same can be said for Dominator at GL. I have also learned to sit in the back if I want that pulling sensation on Corkscrew at CP......the butterflies on that hill before the loop are intense if you sit in the back!

James
01-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Thunder Run at SFKK
yes.. that is a great ride.. much better tehen the 2 clones of it i have been on..(PC,PKD)

SFOG Freak
01-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Wicked Twister at CP
Yeah, I agree. It's a very good coaster, yet, it isn't talked about very much.

James
01-23-2005, 02:29 PM
WT was CPs filler coaster.. as TTD came the nesxt year ;)

see SF gives you a boomerang as a filler.. CP gives you the tallest fastest invert coaster.. yet.. who gives a f...?

wickedtwist1
01-28-2005, 11:21 PM
The Comet at Great Escape. No one talks about it. It is one of the best wooden coasters on the planet

James
01-28-2005, 11:32 PM
The Comet at Great Escape. No one talks about it. It is one of the best wooden coasters on the planet

Comet is the only thing that brings me back to TGE. i love the ride. its in my top 5 coasters. whenever i go to TGE i just lap it over and over... 30-35 times a day.. i love comet :D

magnumxl2005
02-01-2005, 01:27 PM

see SF gives you a boomerang as a filler.. CP gives you the tallest fastest invert coaster.. yet.. who gives a f...? lol, I think wicked twister gets rated the same as the boomerangs though, I love wt.

mikepierson
02-02-2005, 12:40 AM

yes, it's actually my fav wooden coaster, who cares if it got rough over the years..all wood coasters do

another underrated coaster = Great White at Morey's Piers,,,,I never hear too much about it, great coaster

magnumxl2005
02-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah its great at night to ride, 25 ft drop right out of the station into the boardwalk. Great white has also A lot of airtime.

socalMAN123
02-03-2005, 06:36 PM
The most airtime of ever felt (on a not underrated ride becasue I think it hurts a lot) on a coaster would have to be Colossus. I mean if you sit in the back, you're out of your seat. That's what I call airtime.

niomosy
02-03-2005, 07:41 PM

see SF gives you a boomerang as a filler.. CP gives you the tallest fastest invert coaster.. yet.. who gives a f...?

An inverted boomerang with a vertical drop/climb :p

Personally, I like SF's filler better

Bencerisback
02-03-2005, 08:47 PM

noone talks about it yet on all those rollercoaster shows on the discovery channel its been rated number one for year after year....yeah very underrated

Bencerisback
02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
The most airtime of ever felt (on a not underrated ride becasue I think it hurts a lot) on a coaster would have to be Colossus. I mean if you sit in the back, you're out of your seat. That's what I call airtime.

front seat of toronado at Adventureland in Iowa delivers incredible airtime in the front seat, its actually scary...now i havent ridden colossus which looks like a great ride, but i doubt the lapbars are a foot from your lap on that as well as you prolly have some extra seatbelts, i think that outlaw and toronado are both fairly unrated coasters (both at adventureland in altoons?, iowa)

socalMAN123
02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
^Why does nobody trust the Discovery Channel? I personally think that's a really cool channel. Also, another underrated coaster. Mulholland Madness @ DCA. Great ride with a lot of airtime.

Cephas
02-03-2005, 08:57 PM
I have ridden the comet, but I WAS in 5th grade so like many of the coasters I've ridden, barely remember anything about it.

I do remember some massive airtime though...

rlrcstrfreak
02-03-2005, 08:59 PM
^Why does nobody trust the Discovery Channel? I personally think that's a really cool channel. Also, another underrated coaster. Mulholland Madness @ DCA. Great ride with a lot of airtime.
And its also like a clone of 1billion other wild mouse coasters.

Macyismydog5
02-03-2005, 09:12 PM
1 billion?! Thats a bit overexxagerated.
Actually MM has less steep dips so it is NOT a clone.
Boo ya! Top that.

magnumxl2005
02-03-2005, 09:15 PM
lol^^I can just tell by the pictures comet has major airtime.

Bencerisback
02-03-2005, 09:21 PM
wildfire has the best drop of any b&m, it is very straight and one of the only b&m drops where you get tons of airtime, in the back seat its actually scary, although the ride is short (which is a problem with sdc newer rides) it is darn good

i have been on other b&ms with straight drops i.e. kraken, although the coaster is great you dont get air on the drop which makes wildfire unique, and i also agree that when powderkeg comes out it will be underrated

oazark wild cat at CC is fairly underrated, its intense, delivers airtime and is tons of fun yet its also short

and while were on the sdc topic and are, lets talk about thunderation at SDC, i bet that most people have never even heard of this ride...its a super intense mine train (the tallest and fastest in the world) which you can ride frontwards or backwards on, its low to the ground (except a few parts), and winds through a forest, very exciting and catches you off guard

bk2004
02-03-2005, 09:21 PM

Huh? A filler ride? For what?? :confused:

yes.. that is a great ride.. much better tehen the 2 clones of it i have been on..(PC,PKD)

Tell me about it ;) And though I haven't been on it personally, I can restasure you that it has to be better than the other too, especially Carowinds.

rlrcstrfreak
02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
1 billion?! Thats a bit overexxagerated.
Actually MM has less steep dips so it is NOT a clone.
Boo ya! m a looser! Top that.
OHH what a Burn.. too bad I was wearing sunscreen.. OH NOW WHAT!!!111!!!!@!!!11! and it is pretty much a clone, almost the same design and compact.... and yes I Exxagerated, but oh well live with it

Macyismydog5
02-03-2005, 09:25 PM
ya well you're a loser man....MM kicks Reno coasters so hard that their dog bleeds.
oooooooh. Get some ice for that burn mr. 7

socalMAN123
02-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Sorry Brent, but really the biggest coaster there is about the size of Mulholland Madness @ DCA.