PDA

View Full Version : Seeing The Ride

Matt M
01-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy a strap or something to keep my glasses on my head when riding. My vision is -7, which is pretty terrible, so I never ride in the front seat because I can't see jack. I hate contacts, and if I lose my glasses, I can't read unless my nose it touching the book, (I dislike reading strongly), go to school, watch TV, use the computer, and basically anything that involves seeing.

When I was in I think 3rd grade my parents gave me this strap for me to put on, the fate of that is unknown. But I'd really like to "see the ride". Do they still sell these straps at Walgreens or Jewel or someplace?

Jerry S
01-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I guess the other store in your area is Osco right? They're wiht jewel anyway. I say either Walgreens or Osco will have them.

medieval
01-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Did you try looking on the internet to see if they sell something like that?

coasterdude28
01-17-2005, 06:41 PM
pretty much anywhere. CVS, Walgreen, Rite Aid. any of those pharmacy stores. also you can go to a sports store like Dick's or Sports Authority. you just have to ask where they are and they'll get them for you. they are very easy to find and you can get them for close to nothing. a ten pack for $2 at the pharmacy. enjoy seeing the ride.

bk2004
01-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Yes. You can get them pretty much in anywhere. The best bet is going to a super market like wal-mart or target to buy one rather than a drugstore. Just call first to be safe. A lot of people still use them for playing sports and things, but now days they just wear contacts. You really have to get used to them before you can complain about them.

James
01-17-2005, 06:45 PM
I got my strap at CVS.. its small and black and it doesnt stick out that much.. or have anything that hangs off.. but most of the time i dont even use them and my glasses stay on.. even rides like Scream (S&S tower) Chaos Zipper and coasters like SROS and boomerangs.. they stay on.. also Ice dragon..
but yeah... any drug store or glasses store will have them....

sfft_2108
01-17-2005, 07:29 PM
^^^
Well aren't you just cool that your glasses stay on?

Matt M
01-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Mine would probably stay on too, it's just that if they're lost, I'm totally screwed as a said above. Thank god they're cheap.

meames
01-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Do ride op's over there actually let you take glasses on rides - even if they are strapped on - a few people I know have been asked to remove glasses with straps on some of the gentle rides - I'm talking Tea Cups here - so we never tried on something like Nemesis.

socalMAN123
01-18-2005, 09:53 AM
^Here in SoCal at Knott's, if you are wearing glasses they make sure you have a strap on them. If you don't have a strap, they won't let you keep your glasses on. One thing that was crazy is my friend rode X with his glasses on and they didn't fall off! That's pretty crazy! I'm gonna buy some straps so I can wear my sunglasses on rides:cool: . I have aviators so they'll be perfect for Xcelerator. All I need after that is a leather jacket!

EDIT: MY friend on X didn't have a strap.

magnumxl2005
01-18-2005, 09:59 AM
They sell em in the line for ttd...my parents bought them.

Macyismydog5
01-18-2005, 10:07 PM
^ I think TTD would just make them become stuck to your face due to the launch.

Lancelot
01-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I wore my sunglasses on every coaster at IoA and they didn't fall off.

coasterclint
01-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Dont they sell the strap in the TTD que lines? not that that helps you now lol

CoasterDJ
01-19-2005, 01:53 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a strap or something to keep my glasses on my head when riding. My vision is -7, which is pretty terrible, so I never ride in the front seat because I can't see jack. I hate contacts, and if I lose my glasses, I can't read unless my nose it touching the book, (I dislike reading strongly), go to school, watch TV, use the computer, and basically anything that involves seeing.

When I was in I think 3rd grade my parents gave me this strap for me to put on, the fate of that is unknown. But I'd really like to "see the ride". Do they still sell these straps at Walgreens or Jewel or someplace?

I understand where you are coming from Matt. After all, I am not sure how bad my vision is, but I have pretty much heard jokes from elementary school about coke bottle glasses because of how thick the lenses were and even as high index lenses, they are not much thinner. OK, you said your vision was -7. I dont know what that would compare to, but if it is considered the power of the lense, I average -8.25 (-8 in the left, -8.5 in the right) and while I dont know what BC stands for, I am 8.7 in both of those. I grew up riding rides and due to the costs of glasses (as they stand now, about $200 a pair) I cant afford to lose them either.

So you really may want to consider giving contacts another chance, or a first chance if you just hate them but have never used them. Even if you only wear them say, when you go to theme parks, or a formal occasion. While most people - myself included - prefer to wear contacts almost exclusively; there is no rule that says you cant wear the contacts on special occasions and wear glasses 95%+ of the time.

And I can admit it, they say not to wear contacts in wet environments, and that they could be blown off on coasters and such. Truth is, I have only lost one contact while on a coaster and that was on Hypersonic XLC. I had just gotten contacts less than two months before (currenntly approaching 3 years wearing contacts) so I was still getting accustomed to them, and the funny part - I didnt lose it on or after the launch. I rubbed an eye as we were pulling out of the station and lost it there.

I was totally blown away from what had always been a blur of things around me before where I would always remove my glasses to being able to see clearly the world around me. Coaster rides were enjoyed much more as the world was not just a blur to me anymore. Drop towers, I could actually look around and see things clearly and not just a blur of colors. It was amazing and while I cant do the designer contacts yet (want Cowboy Stars) because they are not made that powerfully yet, contacts have removed one worry for me. After all, if I lose a contact on a ride....I just improvise till the end of the day, and remove and trash the remaining one, and put on the glasses and replace it with a new pair the next day. No chance at all of losing the glasses if they are in the car.

Contacts are great. They are not for everyone, but for me, and maybe for you - if you choose to try them (again or for the first time) - they will allow you to ride without having to worry about how losing a way to accomplish so much in your life.

rlrcstrfreak
01-19-2005, 02:01 AM
My dad wheres his glasses on any coaster I make him ride and they do not fall off.. I dont know if ya have to worry about it.

willski2002
01-22-2005, 07:33 PM
My dad has worn his glasses on every ride I've ever been on except Superman, and doesn't use a strap or anything. He wore them on MF, Power Tower, Magnum, Wicked Twister, AP, Alpie, Nemesis, Oblivion, Top Gun, Hulk, Montu, and many others. Although sometimes he'll hold them on more intense rides/inverts like Batman or Raptor (although I'm pretty sure he wore them on Alpie and Katun). Get some straps or contacts if you are really worried about it.

Macyismydog5
01-22-2005, 07:57 PM
I wore glasses on RR, and they were fine.